PDA

View Full Version : Man. I need help.

rekcirednos
30th March 2005, 01:28 AM
After several hours running laps on Vector Alpha Modesto Heights I am totally unable to even get close to getting a bronze on the time trial. I hit most of the boosters, roll on the jump, and use my thrust on the downhill section. I can't see how I could possibly pick up 6 seconds for a measley bronze!

My laps usually aren't totally clean, but they're not too bad.

- How much of the time do you guys have your finger on the thrust button? I'm using it almost always.
- I'm using the airbrake to help me turn on some hard turns when I'm going fast. Is that a good thing to do?
- I haven't found a use for side shifting. How much do you guys use that?
- The manual seems to say that some ships have single airbrakes, some have dual. I haven't seen anything anywhere else to indicate this.

Please! I need tips! technique! anything!

I'm still having a blast, but I'm not really improving and I feel like I'm missing something. The time trial I can't win is described in game as, "a walk in the park"!

def
30th March 2005, 01:41 AM
Try to stay away from the airbrake on vector, the only place you would need it in vector is the hairpin on sinucit. As far as the single/dual airbrake go that has nothing to do with the ships, thats a control setting (profile --> options --> controls). Since vector races are so slow you cant afford to loose any speed, try to go full thrusters all the way and releasing the thrusters while cornering instead of using the airbrake. gl. later.

rekcirednos
30th March 2005, 02:07 AM
Are the directional button pressure sensitive? As in: If I press harder do I cut a turn harder?

still sucking...

def
30th March 2005, 02:11 AM
i dont know what else to tell you, i just tried that time trial on vector and didnt have to use the air brakes. I dont think the d-pad is pressure sensitive but im not sure, if you want to only turn slightly use the analog stick or only slightly tap the d-pad. make sure you take reasonable lines and dont fly all over the track.

Asche XL
30th March 2005, 02:57 AM
Let me tell you, this is defineitly the most challenging wipeout to date. I'm currently stuck on Flash, keep getting silver!

gbit
30th March 2005, 03:52 AM
Two things that may help:

Make sure you hit every speed pad, and try taking a racing line that requires the minimal amount of steering input.

rekcirednos
30th March 2005, 04:28 AM
Yeah, I've picked up some time by hitting a good straight line through the tunnel in Modesto, but I'm not even bronzing yet. Man, this game is really intense. This is my first Wipeout. There is much more depth here than I was expecting. I was thinking this was going to be a fun arcade racer with combat. There is really a lot here to work on. =)

TMoney
30th March 2005, 06:14 AM
TMoney is going to help you out because he's a good guy.

Okay my man....

My first suggestion is to run a few trial laps not trying to win or get a gold or anything... Just take a few corners without any pressure... paying attention to what works and what doesn't.

I'd choose a ship with good handling to get used to steering first - I'd suggest Qirex though to actually win Vector or Venom races.

Anyway, so while you're with your good handling ship in a time trial figuring out how to turn - remember : Keep to the center of the track when possible... use the digital pad perhaps and tapping... tap tap tap tap through the turn...

If you tap too much and are going to hit the INSIDE wall - skip a tap or two to center out

If you're going to hit the OUTSIDE wall... hit and hold the airbrake untill the nose is facing the center of the track portion ahead of you.

If you double tap your airbrake... you'll slide in that direction to the side.... and this can often save you in a sticky situation from hitting the wall usually leaving the turn. Be careful not to rely on this though - it's almost impossible to use it in the faster classes.

After a while you'll know if your ship can handle a certain turn or not and you'll be ready with the airbrake. The trick is to not over use the airbrake on a turn, because you'll slow right down.

Anyway, hope that helps. I guess some of it's obvious. Keep trying - it's worth the feeling when you get it.

Tye

eLhabib
30th March 2005, 10:27 AM
in addition, you should really stay away from the airbrakes in vector and venom, otherwise you will be chanceless in the higher classes. most of the tracks in vector and venom are totally manageable with full thrust throughout and no airbraking at all.

pseudonym
30th March 2005, 11:09 AM
if this is your first wipeout experience, you shouldn't give yourself a hard time for not getting medals immediately. This is one of the hardest games I have ever played. It has similar depth of reward as learning to ride a skateboard. At first it is impossible, but when you can do it, and do it well, it's something which stays with you - which is why this board is full of people who love the game passionately - they have all experienced that thrill of asking the question: 'how the **** am I actually controlling this ship??, it's too fast to think!!"

eLhabib
30th March 2005, 12:10 PM
well, I like to think that learning to skateboard is JUST A LITTLE harder...

infoxicated
30th March 2005, 12:55 PM
I'd agree - if I practice at Wipeout, I get better, but I've been skateboarding for over 20 years and I still suck! :lol:

lunar
30th March 2005, 01:13 PM
they have all experienced that thrill of asking the question: 'how the **** am I actually controlling this ship??, it's too fast to think!!"

I think that all the time..... shortly before hitting a wall.

eLhabib
30th March 2005, 03:33 PM
as one of my teenage years idols used to say: "don't think, FEEL." :)

rekcirednos
31st March 2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks everyone! After a long hard slog I had a cathartic moment when things went click and I found a groove. I have learned not to oversteer and find better lines. After much practice at running laps slower where I was under control all the time I gradually was able to go faster under control.

I just, in one time trial, beat my best time on Vector Modesto by 5 seconds and got the bronze I have worked so hard for. Funny, but I missed silver by 0.18secs. =)

This racer has put everything else I bought for my PSP onto the back burner. I love F1 sims, and racing games. This one has so much more than I was expecting. Simply fantastic.