PDA

View Full Version : abandon ezboard forums?

science
9th February 2002, 03:56 AM
is anyone still posting over there? seems that the logical thing to do would be to abandon them altogether, and sooner is better than later. maybe wrap up topics over there, or continue them here? these are just my thoughts, but it seems like it may be a good idea to eventually lock that forum up from new posts, and change the link on wipeoutzone's home page to say "forum archives" or something of the sort. i think that would make it more nagivable for new members and such, and more convenient for the rest of us not to have to jump back and forth between forums, just in case someone decided to post on the ezboard. just an idea. let me know what the rest of you think.

infoxicated
9th February 2002, 12:28 PM
There's probably a sentimental attachment for some folk (although when the advertising came back for a few days there weren't too many feelings of that nature!).

For me the old board is just slow as hell and an extra cost that I dont need, so I'd be more than happy just to cast them off and base the whole shebang here.

People will vote just by posting here and not there, I suppose. :smile:

Bob Todd
9th February 2002, 04:46 PM
(I'm Twisted Firestarter on the old board, BTW)

Naw, don't bin 'em! I'll still enjoy reading through them even when they're totally dead.
If you do delete them, though, let us know in advance, so that we can save to disk any interesting bits of info.

I like this new board already; it just needs a few tweaks to make it even better (text size and so on, and the IM icons at the bottom of people's posts are just ugly). Good job, Infox!

zargz
9th February 2002, 04:51 PM
bin'em! :grin:

science
9th February 2002, 05:39 PM
i dont mean delete them altogether, i just mean maybe we should lock the topics so you cant post there anymore. i definately think they should stay so that newcomers and ourselves can still go back and read through them, i just think it would be easier on everyone if all the posts were done in one place.
just wanna make that clear before anyone decides one way or the other...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: science on 2002-02-09 18:42 ]</font>

zargz
10th February 2002, 02:26 PM
****! I thought they were allready locked ..
lock'em I say.

infoxicated
10th February 2002, 03:55 PM
People should still have the right to post there if they want, so I don't really want to lock them. I wont be deleting any either - they can stay kind of preserved.

Pyro - I prefered Twisty! :wink:

Lance
10th February 2002, 05:46 PM
i like the twisted nick, too, but you gotta admire the blending of anna with anarchy!

Wamdue
10th February 2002, 08:04 PM
im still having troubles knowing whos who here, but i guess itll all grow in, I keep my "wamdue" cause ive used it for so many years now.

AmishRobot
10th February 2002, 10:34 PM
One suggestion I might make is that you move the link for the WPA forums further down from the Zone forums. It's nice to keep them around, but I have no interest in posting there. With two forum links right next to each other, I always have to pause a moment when hitting the link to come here. Just a thought...

Don't think I've mentioned it yet, but the new forum is great. It's so much faster than ezboard's!

science
11th February 2002, 03:16 AM
locking them was just an idea, but at the least i think you should change the name on the main page to "forum archives" or just "archives"- something like that.

infoxicated
11th February 2002, 08:10 AM
I had intended to do that - the current set up is more of a temporary measure.

I'm going to do an archives section (like the records or navigation) and have it link to archived news and also the old forums. I think that's the best solution. :smile:

Thruster2097
11th February 2002, 08:37 AM
we were going to break away from ezboard eventually, it's just very kind of you to give us a few months to get stuff archived and sorted before the adverts come back to haunt us.
Having our own forum makes wipeoutzone complete, and a very inviting place for anyone that reads the credits for wipeout fusion, or our review at playstation.com.

about the nickname thng, I was going to change mine to something a bit more civilised, like "Mark", but I figured that too many people recognise me as thruster2097 on the old board, so it might aswell stick.

Hyper Shadow
11th February 2002, 09:43 AM
I just lurve this new board. It is just so much quicker than the ezboard.

AmigoJack
11th February 2002, 10:20 AM
its simple: i wont look so frequently for the old ezboard bbs anymore and just concentrate on this forums.

anyway ill do a huge offline backup within the next week of the complete W3PA. too many things are said in there that should live on forever...

Lance
11th February 2002, 05:29 PM
definitely, A.J, there's a lot of worthwhile info and conversation there; and you never know what is going to happen to EZ-board. they could disappear or decide to eliminate non-active forums to clear serverspace.

AmigoJack
11th February 2002, 07:05 PM
...thats why ill make a backup of it. i was long with ezboard, since W3PA. but due to its popup-banner-mutation ezboard isnt my friend anymore.

so ill concentrate on this bbs - but i wont forget ezboard (thats also a reason why i want this "special rank" enabled). it was too long i went with ye olde bbs to just dump it. but i dont post any new stuff there - id just co-comment or answer. everything i have to say goes straight to the WOZF.

ZeroGrav
11th February 2002, 09:39 PM
I agree with A.J. we can't just kill off all the posts, topics which everyone loved so much, i am new to these boards but i grew attached to them very quicky,

keep them preserved, but out with the old and in with the new!

zargz
13th February 2002, 11:57 AM
we don have 2kill them but lock them perhaps sa all the traffic is here instead of here&there&2login&confusion with ppl's nick & so on .. imo

foxy, u got any date set 4 locking the old forums ?

infoxicated
13th February 2002, 12:43 PM
Nope, and I don't intend to - I didn't create them, Carlo did. Locking them is not my decision to make. :smile:

xEik
13th February 2002, 10:34 PM
It's curious. We still have the herency of Carlo, he was the creator of WPA but now we (maybe I should say Infox :wink: )have a different site, different record tables, a different forum. We owe very much to Carlo but I just noticed that now that we are leaving ezBoard we are leaving the last thing that remains from Carlo's era except from the 'pilots association' itself. (Not sure if my English got to express what I wanted to say :???: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xEik on 2002-02-13 23:47 ]</font>

AmigoJack
14th February 2002, 01:06 AM
thats right. the W3PA croud's dna has completely changed due to evolution & time.

but our roots are still with carlo ;-) who knows when infoxicated's descendant will come...

science
14th February 2002, 02:35 AM
On 2002-02-14 02:06, AmigoJack wrote:
thats right. the W3PA croud's dna has completely changed due to evolution & time.

not totally. i know that thruster, al, and myself have been around since the early days of the w3pa, and im sure im leaving someone out. does anyone know exactly when the w3pa was erected? i dont remember and id be curious to know.

back to the original topic though, ive managed to contradict myself. if nothing else, there's one good reason not to lock the ezboard forums up. the other day, wipeoutzone was down for a couple of hours, so the only thing that could be accessed were the ezboard forums.
so there you have it. i have voluntarily eaten my own words :razz:

xEik
14th February 2002, 02:54 PM
I didn't mean that the people has changed. I meant we are placed in a totally different place although we are still the pilots association.

vincoof
14th February 2002, 07:36 PM
joel: As far as I remember caz created the site around 6months after the game release, around march I think. At least, that's when I saw the site for the first time.
Maybe there's a way to browse the "old" web (like http://www.archive.org) to get the exact anwser ?

infoxicated
15th February 2002, 09:18 AM
As far as I remember, Carlo set the EzBoard up in January 2000 - the rest of his site arrived around mid March.

Don't quote me on any of that if you're speaking to press/media, as I might be wrong! :wink: