PDA

View Full Version : PSP suppliers, shipping, bundles, and warranties

pseudonym
22nd March 2005, 11:42 PM
christmas period?

no way..

nip over to www.lik-sang.com

Just ordered a US multiregional UK kitted PSP and Pure... and... now I can't sleep.

Concept
22nd March 2005, 11:44 PM
Yup. Go import once the US launch craziness has died down.

It'll probably be cheaper too online if the £180 pricepoint many retailers are suggesting turns out to be true for Europe.

£150 for a PSP at liksang is seriously tempting, but I want to wait for a US PSP myself and pick one up from VG+ for £130 in a couple of weeks, when the fuss has (hopefully) died down a little, with availability up.

pseudonym
22nd March 2005, 11:54 PM
i couldn't wait... Easter is around the corner.. four days away from work... what better chance is there to get up to speed with the new tracks...

I cannot believe the large screenshots over at the main site... Astounding. They look like they were taken from a 'real' computer... Are we sure these aren't April Fools shots from the development G5's or something? ;)

hailstorm
22nd March 2005, 11:57 PM
From my understanding if you import the Japanese version instead you won't have any region problems as Japan shares the same region as the UK (i.e. region 2). That is of course if you care about buying UMD movies to play on your PSP.

£150 does sound tempting. It's just a shame customs stick a fairly hefty amount on top of that. Other worry is returns. If you find your new PSP has dead pixels or some other fault, shipping back to Japan isn't cheap. Same concerns with ordering from the US too.

Concept
23rd March 2005, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure if UMD media is going to be region-protected in the same fashion as DVD, so it could be that Japan and UK PSPs may not be compatible in terms of media viewing.

But to be honest, if I picked up a US PSP, UMDs wouldn't be my concern, and if they were, I'd most likely order online to circumvent restrictions.

I do agree about the custom charge. It's not vast, but it could easily put £20-30 on the order.

Unless VG+ mark it down.

I just want to play Pure before September onwards, and then pick up a European copy for multiplayer.

eretsua
23rd March 2005, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure if UMD media is going to be region-protected in the same fashion as DVD, so it could be that Japan and UK PSPs may not be compatible in terms of media viewing.

But to be honest, if I picked up a US PSP, UMDs wouldn't be my concern, and if they were, I'd most likely order online to circumvent restrictions.

I don’t think they will change the region settings for UMDs. I think that would be a bit too much of a hassle plus that I think that for the vast majority of European consumers Japanese UMDs are of little interest. Like there is only a very small group of Europeans that would be interested in picking up some J-Pop UMD album, I think. And when it comes to Japanese (UMD) cinema also a very small number will be interested in picking that up. Even less so if it doesn’t feature subtitles in English or other European language. But it’s not like that is Sony is thinking about the Europeans at all…it will probably another 6 months or so before Sony re-realizes the existence of our continent anyway. :roll:

Personally I am perfectly happy having a Japanese one. I don’t expect much of the European non-game-UMD-market, anyway. And if you are into anime and/or J-pop (like me) then you’d be best served with a Japanese one anyway.

I do agree about the custom charge. It's not vast, but it could easily put £20-30 on the order.

Unless VG+ mark it down.

I don’t think VG+ will mark it down as it probably be sent through UPS or other courier equivalent and they require “the actual costs” to buy you a new one should anything happen to it during transport. Also couriers collaborate fully with the Customs-office in order to make sure that the proper taxes are paid. So count on a tax-hit for your PSP when ordering abroad.

I think also in the UK you can it have it delivered to you from within the UK, pixel checked & with full warranty. I think you would save maybe ₤10 or ₤15 compared to when you import it yourself and include tax & shipping.

I just want to play Pure before September onwards, and then pick up a European copy for multiplayer. .

Same here, same here. Though I’m just hoping that the intercontinental gaming between European games and American games will not be a problem. If they don’t change too much in the programming it should work fine, I think…I hope.

Concept
23rd March 2005, 10:29 AM
I probably can have a Japanese model delivered in the UK, but the majority of UK importers vastly over-inflate prices so it usually isn't an option.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Japanese PSP due to a link someone sent me of a decent priced value pack, but I'm kind of stuck on the idea of getting a US PSP (mainly due to the UMD/likely more consistent build quality issues).

Overall though, the UMD side of things almost pales into significance when you realise it's possible to re-encode AVIs on to an adequately sized (512MB/1GB) memory stick.

I've told myself I'm not going to impulse buy from anyone and anywhere in getting a PSP. That's why I've decided to stick to the major exporters in the US/Canada and see when they get their stock back in.

Space Cowboy
23rd March 2005, 10:46 AM
Im totally with Concept on this one. I too have thought about importing a psp, but anywhere I go the prices seems to be incredibly high. For example, dont even bother looking on ebay, every psp going sells for no less than £200!!!!, and thats without games! :(
I think VG+ is the best bet, and I hope to acquire mine from there asap.

BTW Concept, if you find a decent importer or someone in the UK that can deliver let me know mate :)

hailstorm
23rd March 2005, 11:35 AM
Not true:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75556&item=8179247435&rd=1

Value pack and RR for £183. I would advise caution when buying off ebay though. Specially with something this expensive.

edit: whooops. Shipping is a huge £28. Didn't see that. oh well. play-asia.com seems a good price though. Roughly £130.

eLhabib
23rd March 2005, 11:58 AM
Oh sweet liksang!
just ordered my PSP&Pure. It's easy, it's fast, and it's definitely cheaper than it will be in Europe in June!

SO EXCITED!!!

Space Cowboy
23rd March 2005, 12:51 PM
Wow! how much did that cost in total el_habib?

Mobius
23rd March 2005, 02:01 PM
I dont want to import, but it might be my only option.

If i import from america additoinal media won't work.
If i import from japan media will but the buttons are different (x is to go back :? )

But if i wait for the european release i will have a free buss pass by then. :cry:

eLhabib
23rd March 2005, 02:11 PM
here's my order:

1 Sony PSP Standard Pack (For Sony PSP™) $279.90 (~214.01 EUR)
1 WipEout Pure (For Sony PSP™ / US) $49.90 (~38.15 EUR)
1 Aero Case (Blue) (For Sony PSP™) $8.90 (~6.80 EUR)
1 USB Transfer Cable (For Sony PSP™) $4.95 (~3.78 EUR)
Sub Total $343.65 (~262.76 EUR)
Shipping Cost (UPS) $43.00 (~32.88 EUR)
Grand Total $386.65 (~295.63 EUR)

freakin cheap!

just hope they don't have any problems with the tax office (I heard they do, sometimes) *crosses his fingers*

Concept
23rd March 2005, 03:07 PM
I dont want to import, but it might be my only option.

If i import from america additoinal media won't work.
If i import from japan media will but the buttons are different (x is to go back :? )

You can solve that problem by ordering UMD media in the appopriate format for your system online (which is also probably cheaper). That's why the whole region restriction problem is almost a non-issue.

I do agree with you about build quality issues though on Japanese PSPs. I know it hasn't happened to many, but the dead pixel, dodgy square button aspect is something I'm aware of.

Concept
23rd March 2005, 03:11 PM
BTW Concept, if you find a decent importer or someone in the UK that can deliver let me know mate :)

No worries. Will do. :)

I saw someone selling their PSP (just bought unopened) today over at NTSC-uk for £210 along with Wipeout Pure and Ridge Racers. I could have cried - earlier that morning, I'd had £300 cash on me to pay off my credit card.

If only I'd checked the forums sooner. :(

I think most places are only selling US PSPs bundled with a game at bare minimum to ensure the price is near £200.

I only want Lumines and Pure at first though. I'll keep my eye out over the US/Canadian/Asian exporters over the next few weeks and see who gets stock in first and cheapest.

I could try and forage for a US PSP on some online trading boards but I'm wary about doing so to be honest.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 03:55 PM
I do agree with you about build quality issues though on Japanese PSPs. I know it hasn't happened to many, but the dead pixel, dodgy square button aspect is something I'm aware of.

Are you saying the US are getting an upgraded PSP? Do you have any sources on that?

Ben

Concept
23rd March 2005, 03:57 PM
No. Just that the probability is high that the launch niggles/defects that plauged the Japanese launch will have been sorted out for the US launch.

Similar to how the PS2 originally was.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 04:09 PM
But then the dead pixel issue comes with TFT displays in general, doesn't it? I'd be amazed if Sony (or Sharp, for that matter) would change their QA for the displays just to sort out a rather minor problem...

Ben

yawnstretch
23rd March 2005, 04:11 PM
eLhabib

Just noticed that you haven't mentioned a memory card there - does the standard pack come with one? - You may well want one for wipeout Im thinking...

Concept
23rd March 2005, 04:23 PM
G'Kyl - it's to do with the severity of the dead pixels. From early reports of US PSPs, there don't appear to be quite as many popping up.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 04:30 PM
OK, then I might have done a bad purchase with my Japanese PSP. ;) I don't expect the pixels to be a huge problem though. I've read from many who have defect pixels, and it didn't seem to bother them a lot. Anyway, I'm still hoping my PSP won't have any defect screen parts.

Ben

Asche XL
23rd March 2005, 04:38 PM
Hey, atleast this is fixed.

http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3138532

Concept
23rd March 2005, 04:51 PM
Anyway, I'm still hoping my PSP won't have any defect screen parts.

Ben

It should be okay. We're only talking about a few launch PSPs, and that was back in December for the Japanese model. :)

Concept
23rd March 2005, 06:11 PM
VG+ just sent this statement out.

To all customers that have preordered a PSP unit,

There have been significant issues regarding the PSP unit and software which have arisen in the past 24hrs that we must update you on. We have already started to receive inventory and begun processing and getting orders ready to ship. The issues are as follow.

DEAD PIXEL WARRANTY AND TESTING...

We have just been infomned by Sony that they will not be warranting any dead pixel units. They are only warranting hardware defects ie broken buttons, malfuction with drive and so on. Dead Pixels are not considered a defect by Sony of America and will not be warrantied. With this new developement, Video games Plus will no longer be testing PSP units for dead pixels before shipping.

PSP Hardware Bundle Canada

We have begun to receive PSP units and we have only received a limited amount of units not bundled with Gretzky Hockey. Here in Canada Sony has decided to sell the PSP'S bundled with Gretzky and no other way. We beleived all our systems were non Gretzky bundles but upon receiving orders and talking to our suppliers we have been infornmed at this moment all remaining incoming PSP systems now and in the future will be Gretzky Bundles. This will only change if Sony decides to stop selling the bundle in Canada which we don't see happening anytime soon. All PSP order numbers above order number 13916 will be filled with PSP Gretzky bundles and charged accordingly. Regular units were $299.99 Gretzky Bundles are 349.99 as they include the Gretzky game.

Software

Games have already been coming in and have begun shipping. We will attempt to add as many games to your PSP order as possible. Where it is impossible due to shortages or delays we will ship your games asap when available. Some software may be shipped seperately from your PSP as there are just way to many orders to ensure all can be connected to software at the moment. All other customer preordering just software will be filled as soon as games arrive and all orders for software and units will be treated as first come first serve so the earlier you preordered the better your chances of being filled at launch or relatively soon there after.

Easter Weekend in Canada

PSP orders will start shipping out today and will continue shipping out daily until all orders are filled. Friday DHL is closed due to a holiday here , so orders not shipped by Thursday night will begin shipping out on Monday again. We will not be in a position to answer all customer service enquiries as quickly as usual over the next few days as we have pulled all staff to help in the shipping of PSP software and hardware orders.

Videogamesplus.ca sincerely apologizes for any inconveince this has caused any of our customers. Unfortunately with the late Sony announcements and decisions we have been left in a position to do our best to serve you under these unforseen circumstances. As always we appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you in the outmost professional and courteous way.

Sincerely,
Steve Fiocco
President
www.videogamesplus.ca

I am not interested in Gretzky. :(

Time to look elsewhere.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 06:43 PM
Personally, I think it's silly to bundle consoles with one game and not sell them otherwise. If I don't want that specific game I'd always look somewhere else for my version of the gadget.

Anyway, thanks for the news with the square button! That's good to hear. (Even though it's old news and I shold have come across it during my own PSP browsing I did before and after I ordered the toy yesterday. ;) )

By the way, I accidentally (as in by chance, not in Freud-kinda way! ;) ) ordered two copies of Wipeout Pure. Only just found out about it when I rechecked my order a few minutes ago. Will have to sell one then. But hey, imported stuff makes for a good price on Ebay. If all goes well, me shall order even more software from overseas. :)

Ben

Thruster2097
23rd March 2005, 07:01 PM
If youre going to import videogames stuff, I suggest lik-sang. I have used them before and they have always delivered on time (usually 3 days with UPS for the UK) and in perfect condition.
Heres my rundown:
1 Sony PSP Standard Pack (For Sony PSP™) $279.90 (~148.46 GBP)
1 Aero Case (Black) (For Sony PSP™) $8.90 (~4.72 GBP)
1 Memory Stick PRO Duo 512MB $89.90 (~47.68 GBP)
1 Ridge Racers (For Sony PSP™ / Japanese) $59.90 (~31.77 GBP)
1 USB Transfer Cable (For Sony PSP™) $4.95 (~2.63 GBP)
Sub Total $443.55 (~235.25 GBP)
Shipping Cost (UPS) $37.00 (~19.62 GBP)
Grand Total $480.55 (~254.88 GBP)

WOPurE and Lumines are on a seperate order.
But that is a very complete setup for £250! Chose to go for the basic pack so I could add my own (and drastically improved) memory stick to the package.
Plus UPS give you updated order tracking via the lik-sang website.

I have had a 50/50 success rate with customs so far.
The JPS2 w/GT4 Prologue got stopped and needed me to pay the import tax for the delivery to continue.
However, GT4 just shipped straight through.
So, if it is a "cost" thing, where they only stop items over a certain value, then my PSP will be up for scrutiny and taxing. It should be on a plane and arriving at Koeln soon... meaning it should be delivered to my door tomorrow.
PSP: the easter present I always wanted!! :P

hailstorm
23rd March 2005, 07:05 PM
I've found software prices for PSP to be very good on ebay for the UK. No more than £30 usuaaly. I think its dissapointing that sony won't replace units with defective pixels. I don't think thats right when spending so much money. In a way your punishing the customer for thier own bad luck.

Concept
23rd March 2005, 07:08 PM
Thruster - I'm thinking of either Lik Sang or DVD Box Office right now, although I've heard of horror stories about the latter.

Thruster2097
23rd March 2005, 07:17 PM
From a quality controller point of view, it is impossible to test every screen that is fitted.
Dead pixels have affected everything from gameboy right upto home cinema-type lcd TV's.
The only reason why there is so much fuss is because it (and the omnious square button) are the system's only flaws. It is perfect in every other way, therefore it only gives potential customers only two things to rant about.

The square button issue hopefully will not affect me, like it has not affected thousands of other PSP users.
The pixel issue definately will not affect me, and i recognise that sony just buy the screens from a supplier and therefore have no control over the build quality.
It would be a kind jesture if sony gave you a free game (or some vouchers or smthn) to apologise for any dead pixels found. Not one per pixel, one per screen. just a thought.

:edit
Never heard of DVD box office. Might be OK but dont know. I know lik-sang are good.
Be careful about shipping times, it is coming up to the easter holidays and most people will be closed on friday and monday.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 08:01 PM
Fortuanately not the Japanese though. ;)

DVDBoxoffice is reliable. Have heard nothing bad of them in recent years, though I never ordered there. I also want to recommend PlayAsia (www.playasia.com) just one more time. I get videos and games from there on a regular basis and also ordered my PSP for less than what LikSang wants for it.

Ben

Concept
23rd March 2005, 08:17 PM
I've cracked. I can't wait.

G'Kyl - I'm ordering a PSP along with Pure, Lumines, and Ridge Racer from Play Asia now. ;)

eLhabib
23rd March 2005, 08:57 PM
Just noticed that you haven't mentioned a memory card there - does the standard pack come with one? - You may well want one for wipeout Im thinking...

I'm getting a 1Gig stick at my local videogame store, so I didn't have to order any.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 09:01 PM
Hehe. *reaches an open hand to PlayAsia* ;)
Well, the only bummer is that none of the other games released so far interests me enough to spend money on any. Lumines sounds fantastic, but I don't think a puzzle game can keep me busy for long as soon as the list of available titles starts to explode, so I gave that one a pass as well. Ridge Racer is said to be an easy game, which is something that tends to turn me off. I want smart AI in a street racer, since I'm not much of a multiplayer fanatic.

Ben

EDIT
eLhabib: I didn't want to waste a hell of a lot of money on one of those mem sticks, and I don't intend to use the PSP for more than gaming and music anyway. So what I got was a 256MB stick for 30 Euros, which I think comes as quite a bargain. Think about it: Sony takes almost the same amount of money for their 32MB stick from the value pack...

Concept
23rd March 2005, 09:08 PM
I picked up Lumines along with Pure simply because I'm a huge Tetsuya Mizuguchi fan after Rez, and I've heard it's supposed to be great. Also decided to get a 512MB card as I feel if I want to use the PSP to near its full potential, it's needed.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 09:21 PM
But how is a few hundret MB going to help unlock the PSP's potential?
No offence intended, the question sounds more harsh than it's meant to. :)

Ben

Concept
23rd March 2005, 09:25 PM
Mainly storing AVIs/MP3s to listen and watch on the move

1GB would be more ideal, but Duo sticks at that memory range are too expensive right now I feel.

pseudonym
23rd March 2005, 09:33 PM
my order status with lik-sang is:

Waiting for item(s) to arrive.

Does this mean they're out of stock you think? The site claims to have plenty of PSP's in stock...

</impatient git>

hailstorm
23rd March 2005, 09:34 PM
Funny, I seem to remember Samsung offering a 0 dead pixel policy not long ago.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 09:41 PM
You're right, some companies (don't know which ones exactely) offered certain product lines that would give you only "pixel perfect" display. The thing is: producing them requires rather expensive quality standards...

hailstorm
23rd March 2005, 10:13 PM
that'll teach me to go on about dead pixels. Just found 1 possibly 2 on my laptop. I've had it for 6 months now and never even noticed it. I guess it depends where the dead pixels are that make them an issue or not. I would imagine white dead pixels being more annoying than black.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 11:00 PM
Maybe you didn't even have them at first. Pixels can die over the months and years.

Deadly Diabetic
23rd March 2005, 11:53 PM
I feel a number of horrible analogies coming on.... ;)

-DD

Space Cowboy
24th March 2005, 02:41 PM
hey concept, when is your psp going to arrive? Im ordering mine from play-asia too.

Concept
24th March 2005, 04:36 PM
Japanese PSPs are in stock at Play Asia (or they were), and before when I've ordered from them for software, they've usually taken a week.

I've got an email they've received and are now preparing my order, but it's not shipped yet. Then again, I only ordered late last night.

Altogether with a standard PSP and Pure (including shipping) it came to a little over £180.

I have ordered Lumines, Ridge Racers and a 512MB Memory Duo Stick elsewhere though.

Can't wait. :)

Space Cowboy
24th March 2005, 04:53 PM
Do you reckon it will get through customs without having a charge slapped on it?

Concept
24th March 2005, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure to be honest. If it were VG+ I'd ordered from (which is a bad choice now for the PSP) , then I'd be confident of it getting through okay. I've never ordered hardware from Play Asia but games have got through without any extra charge.

If it happens, it happens. Too late to turn back now. ;)

Space Cowboy
24th March 2005, 04:57 PM
heheh :)
I keep getting to the pay screen and bottling out :( Im so worried about dead pixels and stuff.
What do think i should do?, im not capable of rational thought anymore lol ;)

Concept
24th March 2005, 05:05 PM
Well first, here's some help for questions on customs. The first thread in particular is very helpful in the following link.

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/search.php?searchid=207541

Currency Convertor for ordering online (which you probably already know about):

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

I separated the rest of my order (excluding PSP/Pure from Play Asia) over NCSX (Ridge Racer) and Lik-Sang (Memory Stick/Lumines), so there's a greater chance of the PSP escaping custom charges with a smaller order.

To be honest, I was in exactly the same position of you. I wanted to wait for the US PSP, or try and hold out. But the going rate for Japanese PSPs is cheap right now and they're available. That and the fact as soon as you boot them up for the first time, it's a simple method of setting the language option to English, and you should see relatively little difference between a US/Japanese PSP (apart from the UMD aspect). There aren't the usual importing problems to overcome really.

I did try to hold out, but after seeing more videos and reading impressions I cracked. I suppose you have to ask yourself how much you want Pure?

The price isn't vast for PSPs right now (£180 for Pure/inc. shipping is probably going to be a better deal than waiting for a UK model), and the chance to play Wipeout Pure at least six months early encouraged me.

It's up to you. You may have stronger will power than me. :)

Space Cowboy
24th March 2005, 05:37 PM
Oh well thats it!
i've just caved in and ordered my psp and pure from play-asia.
Fingers crossed everything will be ok.
'You buy the ticket, You tke the ride'. :D

Concept
24th March 2005, 06:15 PM
Indeed. :D

Let's hope the PSP is as damn sexy in the flesh as it appears from the screens. ;)

If only Easter wasn't in the way of the post. :/

In any case, I'm sure Pure will be worth it.

G'Kyl
24th March 2005, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about Easter that much. It takes a while until the package reaches regions that actually celebrate this with days off. By the time our PSPs arrive in Europe, Easter will probably be over anyway. :)

Ben

EDIT (my last post is still the latest)

Did any of you get or order a battery pack? What do the guys say who are already playing Pure: How long does the battery last? I am going to do a lot of inner-city as well as inter-city (6 hours ride approximately) traveling during the next months, and I would hate for my PSP to go to sleep mode while I haven't arrived yet. ;)

When I thought about getting a replacement pack I figured I better wait for cheaper or even more advanced third party products. To those with knowledge or experience in technical issues: Is it worth it, or should I get the Sony standard pack right now?

EDIT 2

I just found I had yet to visit the page from Concept's link. Only it doesn't work. ;) Concept, what were your searching for?

Concept
24th March 2005, 09:46 PM
I haven't bought the battery pack, because train journeys and the like from my town to Manchester take between one to two hours in total. And apart from that, I'll be taking it mostly around places nearby that I know, or using it at home.

But in the long run, a battery pack is probably a good idea. There's also a battery case you can place the PSP in alongside the US launch which is supposed to extend the machine's lifespan.

As for the link before. It basically just linked to a couple of searchs for FAQs in a forum I frequent related to potential custom charges. Such as this:

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=36823

I picked up a standard pack PSP by the way. As far as I know a battery charger comes with it to plug into the mains, but I assume you're talking about the portable battery pack you can officially buy from Sony?

As for Easter... you're probably right. It is optimistic of me to expect it to get here before at least next Friday. :)

Thruster2097
25th March 2005, 12:29 AM
well, I got my psp today.
It is a very nice piece of kit I can tell you that! 5:30 battery life on full brightness and volume, no dead pixels very responsive square button.... all the myths have been busted!
Well, I do have a couple of whines about it, firstly the R shoulder button is not always responsive, secondly I think I'm going to have to grow a couple more fingers to play WOPurE properly, this PSP pad is weird and makes my hands hurt.

Oh, and it got through customs without being stopped.

I dont know how to make the main menu screen blue like the pictures. I'm stuck with vomit green. Not nice :?

Just downloaded a firmware update, not sure wether to install or not.

Just waiting for PurE now.

Concept
25th March 2005, 12:55 AM
The PSPs menu screen changes with the month. Just change the date to alternate between colours. :)

Thruster2097
25th March 2005, 01:17 AM
Oh, I see now!!
The june lilac is quite fetching (a bit like a lava lamp) but you cannot beat the august pure neon blue. Outstanding stuff!
Just installed firmware update, apparently it's reccomended by scej.
Thanks, :concept

eLhabib
25th March 2005, 01:19 AM
did you need a WiFi spot for downloading the update?

Thruster2097
25th March 2005, 01:30 AM
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3605

this is a link to a site containing further links to the downloadable versions of he update.
At 14Mb it is a hefty download at any rate!

Space Cowboy
25th March 2005, 10:25 AM
hey concept, has you psp been dispatched yet? mine hasn't, im still waiting for the email.
Damn easter!

G'Kyl
25th March 2005, 11:04 AM
[smart ass mode]Can't have anything to do with Easter. As far as I know, only a majority of the population celebrates the holiday in Hong Kong. [/smart ass mode] ;)

Ben

Space Cowboy
25th March 2005, 11:29 AM
If the majority of people celebrate it in HK then im sure the staff of play asia do ;)

G'Kyl
25th March 2005, 11:43 AM
MINority. Damn me. I don't seem to be able to concentrate at the moment. Which, in general, is true, but I do double check my postings before submitting them...

Ben

eLhabib
25th March 2005, 11:47 AM
the liksang people do celebrate eastern. they will be back at work on tuesday, so check your status then.

Concept
25th March 2005, 04:02 PM
hey concept, has you psp been dispatched yet? mine hasn't, im still waiting for the email.
Damn easter!

It does look like Easter has got in the way somehow. My Play-Asia account says the PSP/Pure is to be dispatched on or before March 29th, so it'll probably be next Monday now. Tronix and Lik-Sang haven't shipped either so all I can gather from that is the delay is down to Easter.

I think it's less likely to do with Play Asia, than it is to do with the shipping companies etc. who may have workforce on holiday in several areas more closer to home. Hence the reason they can't send stuff out.

pseudonym
25th March 2005, 10:03 PM
my psp and pure was dispatched yesterday morning from Lik Sang, and is currently sat in CHEK LAP KOK until Easter is over... Damn I wished I'd ordered it a couple of days earlier...

I think I had a total of three dreams about wipEout last night, one of which included me putting the finishing touches to a wipEout website... </freak>

Chill
26th March 2005, 12:58 AM
OFF TOPIC:
Dude, put them in the 'Any Wipeout Dreams?' forums, in the 'Pilot's Lounge'!! And I thought I was the only freak!!! :P

Rapier Racer
29th April 2005, 08:19 AM
Does anyone have any idea whats going to be on the my PSP site? If I bought one from Japan would I be missing out on anything?

Dogg Thang
29th April 2005, 08:31 AM
You'd be missing out on a six month wait for one thing.

Purist
29th April 2005, 11:30 AM
Just a little thing some of you might not know... the YANK psp (like mine) has the benefit of pre-installed firmware (v1.50) and a battery that last 30% longer than the JAP one :D PLUS! there's non of this 'SQUARE button as the start/main/fire button' business... get the US one, you won't be dissapointed AND the bestist movie will come to this model!!! - REMEMBER movies are region locked!

Dogg Thang
29th April 2005, 11:31 AM
Really?!! That's the first I've heard about increased battery life. Are you sure about that?

Purist
29th April 2005, 11:32 AM
YUP!!! I'll try and find a link to the story from EUROGAMER.com

Rapier Racer
29th April 2005, 12:34 PM
More reason to get s Japanese PSP since its region 2 for movies as well in Japan land, I would have though that any PSP now on sale in Japan will have been corrected with regards to the square button

Another little question, the Japanese PSPs have ‘Sound’ and ‘Power’ written on in English right? Its not in Japanese writing is it

Dogg Thang
29th April 2005, 12:38 PM
Yep all of the text in the japanese PSP is in english.

lunar
29th April 2005, 12:54 PM
It seems that Japanese PSPs now come with v1.5 firmware pre-installed. At least mine did last week.

Purist
29th April 2005, 03:00 PM
any PSP now on sale in Japan will have been corrected with regards to the square button

Nooooooo, I meant, in Japan, the CIRCLE button is their main go/fire/start kinda button, whereas ours in the X button innit :D

Mobius
29th April 2005, 03:14 PM
Ooh.

Erm purist, what do you mean by the bestist movies? I thought the movies would be the same here.

I'm now torn where to get it from, usa or japan?

Rapier Racer
29th April 2005, 05:21 PM
You don’t mean the circle button is placed at the bottom where the x button should be? If its configuration it can be changed, surely

Purist
30th April 2005, 12:23 PM
Sorry been a bit quiet, net connection was a bit goosed... anyways

Ooh.

Erm purist, what do you mean by the bestist movies? I thought the movies would be the same here.

I'm now torn where to get it from, usa or japan?

Mobius - by 'bestist', I mean who has the best?... uncut, earlier release, more extras... etc etc. not the UK that's for sure, the US that's who!!! - so, the same will apply to the movie umd's released here, they'll have to be BBFC certified, so therefore (depending on the movie) potentially cut... i.e. Matrix headbutt scenes, True Lies 'toilet fight' scene plus any sexual violence etc.

OK, sure, if your a HUGE manga fan then the best bet would be to opt for a JAP model, course, added into the bonus the JAP and UK and the rest of Europe are the same region (2). BUT, a buddy of mine bought Spidey 2 after seeing how gorgeous mine looked and all the menus are in JAP and this can't be changed... so the moral of the story is, if you like your manga and/or wanna just walk into a highstreet store and pick up a British umd movie, then until September, the JAP model is the one for you, if on the other hand you want your movies sooner, uncut and (future?) potentially extras then US is the way to go.

Hope that makes sense....

Enjoy... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/moviesUMDs.jpg :wink:

You don’t mean the circle button is placed at the bottom where the x button should be? If its configuration it can be changed, surely

Assegai Developments - Noooo, no, no right, I'm sure someone can clear this up for me :roll: but it goes something like this, Japanese custom states that 'X' means bad luck/carmer or something and 'O' (circle) is good/pure (no pun intended) or something. Same goes for the number 9, nine is VERY bad luck in Japan I think :roll: So, we press X to go/fire/start, they press O, in certain games it can be changed but not in the menu's system and I think it's quite a pain/awkward to do. I LOVE my US psp :wink:

Dogg Thang
30th April 2005, 01:36 PM
Then Metal Gear Acid must really bug you because it has the O button for the main action button (as do all of the Metal Gear games and FFVII if I remember correctly). Switching for X to O going from WO to MGA is no problem and similarly using O button as the main button in the PSP menus isn't really a problem. It's not something I'd really factor into the decision on which PSP to get.

Although, when it comes to movies I think I would agree with Purist if you were interested in UMD movies.

Otherwise, there really doesn't seem to be a difference so it should really come down to which is cheaper.

Rapier Racer
1st May 2005, 09:34 PM
I think I could live with circle button for PSP menu, lol I've been playing bomberman on the PS1 for years so I have plenty of practice with it