PDA

View Full Version : DirectX compatibility

Lance
15th March 2002, 05:43 PM
will installing the latest version of DirectX prevent me from playing games that were designed to work with older versions such as the 6.1 that came with my computer?

my main concern would be losing the ability to play WO2097. but there are a few others as well.

then there is the question of whether my Intel AGP board [810 i think] would support the latest DirectX even with the newest driver available for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-03-15 18:50 ]</font>

Wiseman
16th March 2002, 04:50 AM
Well, I have Direct X 8.0 and WO XL/2097 works fine on mine.

As for compatability problems, well it should work with the Intel board, if not, we'd heard about it already (since a crap load of computers use those Intel integrated graphics sets).

If it doesn't work, uninstalling it could be a problem though. Microsoft does provide a utility to do it now (they used to have nothing, if the latest Direct X didn't work on your computer after you installed it, you were screwed), but I have no idea where that would be located at.

Should say something about it on the Direct X download page, but given how Microsoft likes to hide any useful information, well....

Lance
16th March 2002, 03:04 PM
thanks for the info, G. uninstall is what worries me, apart from possibly needing a new driver, cos Microsoft is so determined to take over the world that they don't like to allow uninstallation of their products. if it messes up, i may have to offload all my own data, then reinstall the original operating system and auxiliaries. lots of work.

i know that one intel driver is available on their site, but it isnt very new.

vincoof
17th March 2002, 10:59 PM
Microsoft does not ensure compatibility between different versions of DirectX.

Applications built for DirectX7 MAY NOT run with DirectX8, but applications built for DirectX8.0 MUST run with DirectX8.1

Though, Microsoft _tries_ to ensure compatibility for close versions of DirectX, eg most applications built for DirectX6 will run for DirectX8, and almost no application built for DirectX2 will run with DirectX8

That is, I think that DirectX8 can run WipeoutXL, but you may have less chance with DirectX9 and even less chance with DirectX10, etc

Lance
17th March 2002, 11:16 PM
i'm pretty much just concerned about differences between 6.1 and 8.1, and the ability to run 2097 and Killer Loop and G-Police.

have they come out with a DX9 yet?

vincoof
17th March 2002, 11:27 PM
About compatibility, that's simple :
- If you have a DirectX8 application, use DirectX8 and there will be (theorically) no problem,
- If you have a DirectX6 application and if you use DirectX8, then try it and either enjoy or cry - there's no general rule on this. just try.

About DirectX9, no it's not released, and yes of course Microsoft plans on relasing it. The latest available version of DirectX is 8.1