PDA

View Full Version : 6 months of pure goodness eh?

Axel
21st March 2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeout/news_6119837.html

Hmmm so it looks as if we might have to purchase a bigger memory stick, dammit! :(

G'Kyl
21st March 2005, 11:08 AM
I already figured that 32MB would be far too little space to store updates and additional content over time. Mind you, there's not only Pure that will have downloadable stuff.

What I was wondering when I read the gamespot article was for how long Sony is planning to release new content. Is it only going to be these six months to make the internet-capable PSP worth its money or will there be constant support for games as long as they are selling good units? Will modders be invited to offer content as well?
I know most of these questions have been asked before and nobody here will be able to answer any of them, probably not even Sony themselves. :) It just crossed my mind. I don't want to be ripped of with some tracks and ships that have basically been held back so you could make use of the download feature, but do not fall under the category of _extra_ value.

Ben

Salt|Ultra
21st March 2005, 03:12 PM
I think Sony is using Pure as a test to see how consumers react to the downloadable content. I'm pretty sure you will see more games in the future feature the ability to extend the gaming experience via updates. The only two things I would worry about are how long will the content remain free and how many developers/publishers would rather spend their time working on new games than giving away free upgrades to games they have already sold.

On the other hand I could also be convinced that Pure was unique in that Sony wanted it out for US launch (and UK/EU launch at the time they were doing the scheduling), but that compressed time frame meant some of the goodies that would have been on the Pure UMD anyway became the downloadable content (just trickled out over time).

As for the downloadable content for Pure, I wouldn't count on anything more that the 6 months worth we have been promised (which is a lot already). Unless we hear something from Sony or the Pure team.

Chill
21st March 2005, 03:23 PM
Get constant updates and start to be charged, or a free six month update. :? Who's gonna decide? What do you all want? :P

G'Kyl
21st March 2005, 09:58 PM
I'd pay for the extras if they were more than the trickling out Salt describes. Not that I am saying this is what they do with Pure, I'm speaking generally.

Ben

Deadly Diabetic
21st March 2005, 10:40 PM
This thread reminds me of what they were talking about at GDC with Xbox's "micropayment" paradigm.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/16/news_6120586.html

It's an interesting idea, maybe foxy or Colin can talk about it more since they are in the industry but from what the article says, the financial analysts love the idea. I'm not sure how it would play out in PurE. Maybe pay $.99 for a different color scheme or logo or something. Or maybe you could purchase upgraded parts for the ship? Although I think that would take all the skill out of it.

Axel
21st March 2005, 11:03 PM
hmmm, I say they should keep it free for the first 6 months because they promised us. But afterwards, they could start charging for special extras. But that will depend if the game sells really well on the psp. I hope it does because I want a wipeout on a console dammit!!!!

Chill
21st March 2005, 11:53 PM
As long as I can hook the PSP up to the screen, I'm happy!! :wink: That's a good idea, the first 6 months free, and the rest could be charged, ya!!! :o

Salt|Ultra
22nd March 2005, 12:15 AM
I would be willing to pay, but it would really depend on what they were offering. It also would really depend on what else I could buy with the same amount of money. Sort of like what I said for the developers/publishers, do I want to spend money on a game I already have or put that money towards a new game.

Chill
22nd March 2005, 04:20 AM
And that is a good statement, some common sense I lack every once in a while. :wink: Well, It can be determined by how many hardcore fans of Wipeout (like us) are out their. My favorite game is Wipeout, so I'd buy downloads and upgrades of Wipeout Pure definately before a new game, but not many people are like me. Hopefully their will be better security on this content than MP3 music (where so many people get music for free). I don't, I believe in paying the artists for their work, it's just common respect (that may not be so common after all). So before actually selling the stuff, the security would need to be acceptable. Mabye this is one of the reasons they were to give it out free in the first place, because of these problems, and the cost to put into it. We'll just have to see how well the free downloadable content goes, and how many people buy Wipeout Pure, and play it often (as in online). I think this is all just a test, but who's to know? :D

BenjaminBirdie
22nd March 2005, 06:51 AM
It would be very very hard to manage micropayments for something that could potentially be so easily traded other online or adhoc (as in, here's my duo, lets hook it up to your pc and swap). It's different with the X-Box as everything takes place (and can only take place) within the confines of the console. Like you said, I know I'd pay for it, but I can see very few people resisting the urge to, you know, not.

Dimension
22nd March 2005, 09:38 AM
Wait, wait, wait!
While the hovercraft and the songs will only require a few kilobytes on the Memory Stick

What kind of compression are we talking about here to make these songs "a few kilobytes"? And if they can compress audio to be that small then why not the track? :?

G'Kyl
22nd March 2005, 10:23 AM
Benjamin (strange to write your own name when addressing someone ;) ): I'd say the contrary is the fact. As long as additional content was cheap, I believe people were willing to get it the easy way and thus pay for it via PSPs own online capabilities.

Dimension: Probably no compression but mod-file format then. ;-) Yet maybe KILObytes really should have been MEGAbyte?

Ben

eretsua
22nd March 2005, 11:30 AM
I'm a bit worried about this micro-payment idea... will it in the end boil down to who's got the most money gets the best gear inside games? Like the person who's got the most financial means free in the real world will have the better ships, weapons, protection and what else in the game?

And I am even more worried that it will inevitably change from "buying goods to renting goods". That you micro-pay a license and that you can use the item you bought only as long as you pay for that license.

As for the wipeout pure content... I reckon I will be willing to pay for it after the initial 6 months if the purchased content is worth the price. I can very much imagine that the developers will get lazy and just start releasing more of the same with perhaps a slightly different coat. :(

eLhabib
22nd March 2005, 11:38 AM
have faith.

they pulled off Pure. they will not fail the rest.

Deadly Diabetic
22nd March 2005, 12:10 PM
Just want to make sure that everyone knows that they (reps from Studio Liverpool) have never mentioned having to pay for downloadable content (at least that I've seen). I was just trying to point out that the conversation reminded me of something that Microsoft was talking about implementing. It was more a philosophical discussion that anything else. In other words, I wouldn't worry about it, the developers seem to have everything well under control. 8)

-DD

Salt|Ultra
22nd March 2005, 03:57 PM
On security.

It would be very easy to make pay content only function on the PSP of the person that paid for it. Trading would be very difficult (if not impossible). The PSP uses 128bit AES encryption (crypto good enough it is cleared to be used for US government top secret data), it would be a simple matter to encrypt and sign the data so that only the PSP that was used to purchase the data would be able to decrypt and use it. You would be able to back that data up to your PC, but if you sent it to me it would be worthless.

On fairness.

I can't say I like the idea of having your ingame ability tied to how much real money you are willing to spend on the ingame upgrades. I personally would most likely stop playing (never purchase) any game with that kind of system.

On downloadable content size.

I think they said song when they meant skin. I could see a UI skin being a few kilobytes and a track and song together being 6MB.

Chill
22nd March 2005, 04:52 PM
On fairness.

I can't say I like the idea of having your ingame ability tied to how much real money you are willing to spend on the ingame upgrades. I personally would most likely stop playing (never purchase) any game with that kind of system.
The game would still be playable even if downloads are available, but download of better ships wouldn't exist, just different designs and paint jobs/logos. Also, the expansion on music and tracks, and skin. These couln't be used to be better, just makes the game more fun, so no rich be is gonna always win, if u-no what i mean. :wink:

Axel
22nd March 2005, 05:05 PM
what would be really nice if they could do a league table through time trials. You upload your times from the psp to the internet website. That would have been a neat feature like the one they had for F-Zero.

Hellfire_WZ
22nd March 2005, 07:05 PM
You mean like the leagues they had for Fusion, but with a direct upload rather than a code system? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Sven
22nd March 2005, 08:11 PM
When will this content start to be fed to the public? I need to know how soon to get a memory stick...

Salt|Ultra
22nd March 2005, 08:15 PM
Not sure when the content will be released, but the Memory Stick that comes with the PSP would be good for the first few months worth of downloads.

Concept
22nd March 2005, 08:36 PM
By the sounds of it the content isn't going to fit on one memory stick. The default size Sony should bundle them or (sell alongside) PSPs should at least be 128MB.

32MB won't get anyone far in terms of using the machine to exploit its multimedia capabilities (game saves, photos, MP3s, video-encoding etc)

BenjaminBirdie
22nd March 2005, 08:40 PM
Got my 128 on LOCK. Or rather, it's in the mail. $27 @ newegg.com (SanDisk) wasn't too bad. Basic memory card prices. Here's hoping for some DLC this week.

...Maybe...?

Axel
22nd March 2005, 08:42 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about fusion, maybe cause i proper hated it. But yeah the 32mb standard mem card is not good enough. 64mb as standard should have been chosen, dammit SONY!!!

Deadly Diabetic
22nd March 2005, 09:31 PM
I purchased a 512 Sandisk from http://www.zipzoomfly.com for 65$

[Anyone Not In North America and Hasn't Imported A PSP Shouldn't Read Beyond Here]

It should arrive on Thursday along with my PSP, WOP, THUG2, and Lumines.

Thursday will be a marvelous day!!!!

[I told you]

:twisted:

-DD

Thruster2097
22nd March 2005, 10:06 PM
got my PSP and 512mb card confirmed for thursday.
It truly will be a great day, second only until the day I get PurE, that is :)

COME ON PURESDAY!

Deadly Diabetic
22nd March 2005, 10:13 PM
Thrusty,

When are you getting Pure? Have you downloaded that Xlink software yet? If not, you should, that way we can get a WipeoutZone race-a-thon going!

-DD

Concept
22nd March 2005, 10:16 PM
><

Shouldn't have read. Why did I leave it so late?

Thruster2097
22nd March 2005, 10:22 PM
I think my PurEsday could be the 28th or 29th march, depending on how fast UPS are nowadays :?

Havent downloaded xlink yet because i'm a bit unsure about what equipment I need and how to connect it all, but once I get my psp to play around with, I will look a bit further into it.
A wipeoutzone room, or a race-a-thon would be a fantastic idea! All you respectable pilots have the pleasure of my company at vector, venom, maybe flash.
Rapier and Phantom... I'll have to see what my "brother" is upto....
Speaking of which, where is jmoid? PMIA? Hope not. :(

Rapier Racer
23rd March 2005, 08:45 AM
The PSP's from http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=303&products_id=2979 are Japanese region 2 right? I hope they are because if so, come to daddy!!

Is that the price you pay? would there be a customs charge on top of that?

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 08:58 AM
Assagai, I don't know about packaging and shipping costs for PSPs at Lik-Sangs, but PlayAsia (www.playasia.com) has them cheaper, which is why I ordered mine there yesterday. And yeah, they have Japanese models.

Ben

Chill
23rd March 2005, 04:21 PM
OFF TOPIC: G'kyl, you're near your 1000 post mark 8O , just one more, and u'll be their!!!! Congrats in advance.... :D

Sausehuhn
23rd March 2005, 04:36 PM
@ G'Kyl:
Congrats! You're a member as long as I am and you've broken the 1000. Wow! 8O

A real wiper! :)

Lance
23rd March 2005, 05:12 PM
he and Chill post more times per day than i do, and i'm a moderator!

a real wiper is one that actually says something in their posts. [glances nervously at his own 3484 post count and moves away whilst posters and readers decide who is whom or what. ;) ]

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 06:33 PM
Errr, thanks. Let's get back on-topic though, it actually feels uneasy to get mentioned for your freaky high post count. Hmm, but zargz hit the 4-digit-mark just a little earlier than me, ha! ;-)
I have to say though, stats are a cool thing to have, somehow I like them. Which is one reason I got quite excited about reading the kind of information Pure gives its players. :-)
Oh, and by the way; Lance, for once you are wrong. Your daily average is actually considerably higher than mine. :-)

Ben

edit by Lance [to avoid raising his own post count any higher]: your rate of posting over the last several months is higher than mine; the average shown for me reflects the first few months of the existence of the new forum, during which my average was over 8 posts per day and briefly peaked at just over 9 per day. currently both you and Chill post more than i do, although i am being forced by the influx of new members to edit a hell of a lot. admittedly, in the last 2 or 3 weeks, that huge overall increase of posts by all members has probably caused my own rate to rise beyond that of the previous year, though my percent of the total is dropping for the same reason. [note that our member, 'Concept', is currently averaging 16 posts per day, but has just recently joined, which tends to generate a high rate whilst trying to catch up on all topics.][and just for the hell of it, i checked your number of posts today: 16 by 22:21 GMT. now i'll check mine. hm... 8. that's probably a lot less then than the edits and deletions i've done today.]

Mobius
23rd March 2005, 07:01 PM
I'm just amaze how many Chill has posted - Hes a Phantom poster and im just Venom...

comment by Lance: ah, but that is not so; you are already Phantom ranked as well, at 302 posts. but in any case, the question to ask of ourselves is ''am i really saying anything substantial in my posts or am i just bloating my count with meaningless spam?'' actually saying something is the hard part for some people.
[btw, there is a post number rank even beyond the one (Ultimate Wiper) (boy, there's an ironic commentary in thEre somewhere!) that i currently have. ]

Comment by Moby: well you learn something every day eh?

Chill
24th March 2005, 12:13 AM
:oops: I honestly didn't know that I posted so much compared to others!!! Mabye I'm more of a freak than I think I am. Mabye I type on this site sleep walking :lol: . G'kyl's right, it does make us un-easy. [lol, i didn't know I had become a phantom pilot!!!] :oops: Well, I guess it depends how much you look at it, right now I could be kinda proud, but for what? Thinking of a lot of things to say? I look up to those who have a really good reason for posting each and every post, not just tons, like me.
btw: about the topic, I love the stats!!! They are so close together, it will always seem competitive. A lot of things on Pure, believe it or not, I have thought of. For example, the action the weapon icon takes when you pick up one, it prints downword (don't know if you noticed it, but it sure seems like it came right out of my head)!!!!! And don't let me get started on the tracks in the clouds and around buildings and such, during sunrise!!!! I thought about a lot of elements in Pure, and it seem like someone literally secretly drained my brain out in the middle of the night to make this game, though I don't really believe that, it just makes me crazy!!!!!!!! 8O So, since I have fantasyzed about this so much to come up with these things and this type of Wipeout art, I believe very much that the Wipeout team has done just the same, Congrats!!!! :D I got what I've dreamed of [ya, gettn' to crazy again, I'll stop]. :wink:

comment by Lance [who again avoids bumping up his post count by doing it here instead of making a separate post]:
Logan, if you read back over this post of yours, you see why the name 'Chill' does not fit your personality. possibly you should have picked 'Hyper'? or 'Shotgun'? ;)

G'Kyl
24th March 2005, 05:37 AM
Lance: Just a thought that came to my mind... II'd actually prefer it if you made a new entry every time instead of editing the respective posts. I don't think you should worry about your count, but the thing is that EDITs can easily be overlooked and make reading through threads quite difficult, for me anyway.

Oh, and I'd been pretty sure you've posted more than any other person during the entire last year...interesting. OK, let's drop that in favour of something important. :)

Ben

Lance
24th March 2005, 12:28 PM
but we love stat! stats are important! ;)
i'm pretty sure that i have not posted more than you in the last year. and the stats are there to search for, but i don't have the time and inclination to search for a year's worth. it is clear, though, that Chill has posted more than anyone else during the time he has been a member. while during the 1 year you have been a member you have posted approximately the same total number of times as zargz did in 3 years, but anyway... er, we had a topic?

another reason i sometimes reply in edits is to avoid breaking the flow of the actual topic to an even greater degree.

Chill
25th March 2005, 03:42 AM
OFF TOPIC:

Logan, if you read back over this post of yours, you see why the name 'Chill' does not fit your personality. possibly you should have picked 'Hyper'? or 'Shotgun'? ;)
I think I'm just like this because of Pure, I'm really excited!!!! 8O But once I get it, and get used to it, just like any other Wipeout, I think you will be able to see my personality. Right now I'm just so busy, I feel I should be busy on the computer as well as in actual life, to, u know, even them out, but I can't help it, I just love Wipeout!! Oh, I had just noticed the use of explanation points (!!!!!!!!) by me, haha. Mabye I shouldn't shout so much, ya? It's just the rush of Wipeout that take over my hands at the keyboard. :wink: But believe me, once I get things in order and get Pure, I'll probably feel more settled. I just seem to get a rush whenever thinking about Pure, or in that case, any Wipeout (except for mabye Fusion). Don't worry, this Wipeout in me can wear off sooner and later, and then I can be more human, but for now, Pure Pure Pure!!!! :P

Colin Berry
25th March 2005, 04:15 PM
Downloadable content

here is the 'thing' until official information is released I'd be wary of the rumours, especially file size rumours which are yet to be confirmed.

All I can say is that there will be
new music
new skins for the front end
new ships
new tracks

Talk of the content already being on the disk is bullshit, for starters the American disks are out there and the down load stuff is still being worked on !

Chill
25th March 2005, 04:38 PM
Thanx for the clarification, Colin. It's nice to eliminate posted space as soon as possible, and be directed correctly. :D
btw: As for the name, I am thinking around Chill, that it would be kinda cool to have Hype Flight or something like that for my name!!! :P

comment by Lance: in my own experience, i've found it easier just to use my real name and let my character define and display itself, whatever it is. whether your name is Abraham Lincoln or P-Diddy, it is your character which defines the way your name is perceived, and how well you are thought of, not the other way around.