PDA

View Full Version : IGN's WipEout PurE review is in!

Hybrid Divide
18th March 2005, 10:21 PM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/597/597359p1.html

And just look at that score!

Best PSP rating to date! :D

What a happy day indeed!

Hybrid Divide
18th March 2005, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah.... I almost forgot...

EDITOR'S CHOICE! 8)

======
EDIT: How could I forget to congratulate Studio Liverpool!

You've done it!
======
PS: Lance, I'll just post such corrections under an edited post next time, instead of adding another post too soon. :)

Hellfire_WZ
18th March 2005, 10:26 PM
Wow... 8O Now I REALLY want this game! Let's hope all the other reviewers agree.

Dimension
18th March 2005, 10:33 PM
wow, that's something serious right there :D I just scanned through it, though i'll read through properly later. Oh and congrats to studio liverpool like, that's a review to be proud of :)

gbit
18th March 2005, 10:40 PM
9.3!!! Wow. I must say, congratulations are in order. Well Done!

Colin Berry
18th March 2005, 10:52 PM
we are suitably proud and humbled and happy

:) :oops: :D

Concept
18th March 2005, 11:12 PM
It's IGN though, guys. A site not exactly adverse to giving out high marks and glowing reviews.

Still - good reviews for Pure are nice to see and a growing indication the game's something special.

The real test will come from more critical places such as Gamecritics and the like. I eagerly anticipate the Edge review too. I'm hoping (and expecting to an extent after reading this month's preview) for the game to get 9/10.

Dimension
18th March 2005, 11:16 PM
9/10 from edge eh? While i'm hardly a regular reader of edge magazine, the highest I ever remember seeing in edge is 8 and even then it was rare, purE would have to be going some for a nine, let's hope though eh? :)

infoxicated
18th March 2005, 11:19 PM
To say that IGN review was hastily written would be like saying Michael Jackson might have had some work done here and there. Lets hope they clean it up in the cold light of day.

Concept
18th March 2005, 11:34 PM
9/10 from edge eh? While i'm hardly a regular reader of edge magazine, the highest I ever remember seeing in edge is 8 and even then it was rare, purE would have to be going some for a nine, let's hope though eh? :)

Yes. :)

Wipeout 2097 was awarded 9/10 if I remember correctly.

Generally most of the Wipeout games have been well received in the magazine.

Mano
19th March 2005, 12:40 AM
I think that regardless of the questioning IGN reviews have to some, my opinion is that reviews on IGN are usually mainstream, not completely accurate, but in essence they are true, informative, descriptive and usually objective (depending on the author).

You have to consider reviews on sites like IGN are a little bit rushed (they post reviews really quick even if they are sent copies early) due to their high reputation and the fact that they are very popular, which also indicates good things coming for pure ;) - i think i dont need to tell you this.

So they are more an elaborate first impression (to our eyes), even if they go through the game completely, i assure you theres a low chance they have played Wipeout games as much or as focused as any of the regular members of the WZ community, so you cant be THAT picky guys/gals ....

In a nutshell, its a great omen of the future of Pure!!, congratulations to the entire Pure team!!!

From what i have seen i have similar opinions about Pure, it really looks good, from what i have heard from the music and sounds are good too, some other little details of aestethically opinions are subjective, but the thing i really need to test is gameplay!, and its got a good review on that, congrats Colin if you are reading this!

BenjaminBirdie
19th March 2005, 04:34 AM
Lots of new videos there too, the best looking I've seen yet. They're all in first person on one track and they actually uploaded an entire race to watch. It's hard to believe, but this looks almost if not AS good as Fusion, at least from the videos. Combine that with the gameplay we've been waiting for, well. Slam dunk.

Chill
19th March 2005, 06:13 AM
Sorry to say, but to me, the graphics alone look better than Fusion. The water reflects off of the track, the lighting is very much like the time it's placed (morning sun rays versus daylight), this game looks beautiful. I love, I love, and I love. I can't wait to race everyone (in the U.S.) on Wipeout Pure, it's gonna be awesome. I think I'm just in shock right now (siriously), but if this wasn't happening all so fast, I would be FREAKN' HISTATIC!!!!! Thanx sooooo much Colin and all other designers!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Sausehuhn
19th March 2005, 12:33 PM
Hey, congrats Liverpool, the review sounds really good! :D

Lets hope there aren't any slowdowns anywhere in the game, the can bring the gaming fun down to 0. :roll:

Sausehuhn
19th March 2005, 01:00 PM
Take a look at the 1st movie at the 2nd page! you can see the 360° thing!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!! What's going on there!? This game is not normal!!

I NEED PURE!!! 8O

Concept
19th March 2005, 01:13 PM
Just been watching the new movies on gamespot and IGN. This game looks insane.

Definitely has 2097's overall feel to it.

And I agree, the barrel roll (360 degree turn) looks amazingly good.

G'Kyl
19th March 2005, 02:49 PM
It does. I just hope it doesn't distract from generally trying to keep the craft on the right line, but I'm sure they figured it out just fine. Yet I was wondering: Why add the maneuver in the first place? Was it to just have something unique in Pure? Was it something that simply occured to someone as being cool to have it? Or could it be there to make players try getting the boost instead of taking shortcuts?
Oh, and yes, zone mode looks incredibly cool and stylish!

Ben

Concept
19th March 2005, 02:52 PM
I think it's to partly create a risk/reward system. Sometimes in Wipeout 3, the fact you could drain your energy to speed up made the game a little easy in parts.

Here to speed up, you're faced with having to use a dangerous move to do so, which means you can't use it on turns and such like. You have to be careful in choosing when to speed up, which hopefully should encourage the player to put more thought in to boosting. :)

G'Kyl
19th March 2005, 03:07 PM
Whereas I have to say I am usually no big fan of this sort of special moves, since they distract from the "pure racing" formula. Also, imagining a real world where something like Wipeout exists, ships rolling in mid-air must look strange, to say the least. Anyway, I'm not complaining here, just throwing in two cents no one will be interested in. :)

Ben

Concept
19th March 2005, 03:11 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but you could also use that argument against use of weapons such as the quake bomb. We'll soon see how it works in-game and if it benefits the gameplay when impressions from people here start coming in.

G'Kyl
19th March 2005, 03:32 PM
You're right about weapons. Which is why as soon as I finished the games, I do nothing but time trialing after that. :) This is, in my opinion, where the real racing spirit is at its peak. I fully understand your point, though. You are right, Wipeout isn't a simulation of futuristic racing but an arcade game. And as I said, at the end of the day I'll be totally fine with the new maneuver. It was just a thought that crossed my mind - hell it WOULD look funny in real racing and I would still like to see the explanation how the rolling boosts you up *g*, but then what the heck! ;)

Ben

Axel
19th March 2005, 07:11 PM
I feel you G'Kyl, i know where your coming from. A complete flip is kinda pushing it in my eyes. But oh well.

Thruster2097
19th March 2005, 07:59 PM
Do you really need a review to tell you that this is the best game on the PSP, possibly best game in the series?
The whole team at Liverpool have put everything, including their love for the game, into this.
And it shows!

I can hardly wait to try it out for myself.
My UK PSP is on preorder.... and I'm going to be there at midnight to claim it! :)

G'Kyl
19th March 2005, 08:40 PM
I am, in fact, careful with premature praise. Many developers have put love and faith and god knows what into their games and it never showed. So yeah, I take that review. :-)

Ben

Thruster2097
19th March 2005, 08:49 PM
Ben, I know what you mean.
Fusion had a very similar hype, and didnt prove that successful. Still good, but it just needed something either added or taken away. Stil havent really made my mind up because Fusion is still capable of amazing me!

I have a very good feeling, though!

G'Kyl
19th March 2005, 11:43 PM
I have the same feeling. I am reluctant to celebrate ahead, but if Pure turns out as good as we hope and as good as the bits and pieces yet available make it appear, I will be among the most ecstatic pilots at this place here. ;) A new 2097? I'll be the first to get hooked...

Ben

Dimension
19th March 2005, 11:47 PM
Well it looks good so far, style wise it looks more W3O which I'm honestly glad about, but i'm sure it's as you say, otherwise very much like another 2097, therefore it should sell well, right? :)

Chill
20th March 2005, 02:56 AM
It's gonna feel kinda weird with this new rolling technique off a jump in cockpit view. I think I'm gonna be pretty confused at first, but after a while, It may be able to train us to not get confused during rolls and flips and such, mabye a new skill to add to the game, ya? :wink: It's more like the arcade feeling than anything, which is very awesome!!! :D I love arcade games, and Wipeout is my favorite!!! 8) SUPER HAPPY HEAR!!!!!!

BenjaminBirdie
22nd March 2005, 03:00 AM
You guys are going to really want to take a look at the new IGN Video Review. An amazing look at, well, everything.

EDIT: Let me just note speifically,
a) Zone Mode: Chris Cunningham designed this course, didn't he. It's okay, you can tell us.
b) The Classic Tracks: So, the flare effects are all pixelized too. It looks so rad that way. I'm kind of imagining that this is a VR setup for this green but ever-so-eager new league of pilots?

Deadly Diabetic
22nd March 2005, 04:54 AM
Just got done watching the new video review, which is what I think Benjamin was talking about, and it is absolutely amazing. It has some of the best video I've seen so far. It's got me wanting this game so bad that it hurts. The video shows the minimalist beauty that is the zone mode, it shows a number of tracks (including a brief interlude at the track in the clouds), it shows the menuing system in action, and most of the weapons (I think). Seriously it is bar-none the best indicator of what this game will be like for those of us who haven't gotten our hands on it yet.

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/vids_1.html?fromint=1

The drawback for non broadband users is that because it is 8 minutes long, it is almost 77 meg in size.

If you've got the bandwidth and don't have the game then you need to see this video.

-DD

Asche XL
22nd March 2005, 05:31 AM
That looks gorgeous, thanks for the link!

I bought the game today but unfortunatly it's just sitting here on my desk until I can put it to good use on thursday morning when I pick up my psp. That video just insured me that money was well spent.

Mano
22nd March 2005, 05:35 AM
I just fell in love with the way zone mode looks, its gorgeous....

and the voice fits it perfectly.

i really want to play this game....

About the review... now this one is better than the written one, must be that they had more time to play the game and the guy that did the review is a Wipeout player since the original, good stuff to see and hear, theres some stuff about pitch control that i have my doubts about, dont like the idea of it being somehow auto adjusted before you take more air or something, believe me, auto-anything is never good, your brain and/or your instinct will ALWAYS find a better way to do it and it wont take you long to find out either; however i must try the game to say if the new pitch control is good or bad for me; an auto/manual pitch option would have been good, maybe for the next version that i predict thanks to the work of the Pure team will exist ;)

In all the game looks real good to me like i have said before, but what i really want to do is PLAY IT!!!!!!

** EDIT

i just saw some news about PS3 on IGN:

March 21, 2005 - GameIndustry.biz reports that Sony "continues quietly rolling out dev kits to select partners." Specifically, word is the mega corporation's European wing is being outfitted with the latest PlayStation 3 development systems, as are a few key third-party British developers.

hmmm i see the success of Pure might already be pointing to another Wipeout sequel on the next console ;) Launch title? ;)

eno
22nd March 2005, 07:37 AM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/362/362657p2.html

I didn't read all the way threw this thread but I might add that IGN all though the only site I pay for, still is not always trustworthy in there opinions of new games. Just take Wipeout Fusion for example They gave it 9 outta 10. I would say more like 5 outta 10. The lack of Wipeout style control really distroyed the game for me and they still gave it a 9. No way.

I am SOOO happy that there looks to be a new Wipeout title thats back to its roots, to bad its on a tiny little handheld. Hope they make it on Xbox2 or PC (with FPS lock).

Hybrid Divide
22nd March 2005, 08:00 AM
This video review was simply stunning.

Oh, and I don't think we have to worry about Phantom being too slow.

The speed in this game just looks sick! :D

*foaming at the mouth for Thursday*

yawnstretch
22nd March 2005, 09:27 AM
Yeah - zone mode and that cloud level look drop dead gorgeous!

I really hope my copy arrives before the weekend.

I also hope I get most of my thesis written before the weekend :?

G'Kyl
22nd March 2005, 10:29 AM
One word: WOW! The IGN review gives the best impression so far as to how the complete game really looks like. I absolutely adore the menu and what was to be seen from zone mode! If WOZ members continue to confirm Pure's similarities in gameplay with XL, I know I will get it.
I even think the somewhat limited pitch control is fine since Pure naturally introduces a tweaked flight engine into the series. I assume, as long as it plays wipeout I will be happy with what it offers in regard to that.

Ben

Deadly Diabetic
22nd March 2005, 12:02 PM
Now that a couple of people have seen the review, I had a couple of comments:

1.) Around the three minute mark on the video you see the pilot take a jump and then land on the siderail itself. I think that is pretty freakin' cool!

2.) Is it just me or are there areas that don't appear to have siderails at all? Like it would be easy to use that side shift maneuver to knock someone off track.

3.) Around the four minute mark, as he is talking about the Flash class (which looks fast), you see a weapon go flying by and then bounce off the walls until it hits something. What weapon is that?

4.) At the five minute mark it shows a Qirex (I think) ship taking a jump in front of the pilot and it looks like the thing bottoms out when it lands. Is that a pitch control issue or is her ass just that heavy?

5.) The background! OMG, the backgrounds are gorgeous! I'm afraid I'm going to be admiring the scenery and get my butt handed to me in the mean time.

Once again, GJ Studio Liverpool!

-DD

Angryman
22nd March 2005, 12:25 PM
Flash is Godddam fast... 8O

I'm going to struggle with Phantom. :oops:

It's really good to see wipeout back in form and it's great to see people genuinely interested in the game even outside of these forums.

Studio Liverpool :rock_on

Thruster2097
22nd March 2005, 01:16 PM
From the multitude of videos and screenshots I have seen, this version of wipeout is looking very good.
I noticed the reviewer, Ryan O'Donnell, mention the framerate, and it is impossible not to. The slight framerate delay is the only thing in PurE to stop it from being flawless. And the frame-lag is only there because the technical limits of the PSP are being constantly pounded into submission, ala WOFusion. I would rather see this instead of less detail or less somethings.
A true example of bouncebackability if ever I saw it!

I reckon I could take on Flash. It looks fast, but not uncontrollable.

As for the bouncy weapon? That would be a missile. The sfx with the zinging and poinging off the walls.... purE genius!

Concept
22nd March 2005, 04:00 PM
Just seen the IGN video linked in this thread.

Beautifully delicious. Everything about Pure seems polished down to a tee.

At first I wasn't too sure on the white-colour menu screens but I suppose it fits the 'pure' theme. Luckily, I think it's possible to swap skins in this area from what someone said elsewhere - there's a lovely black-coloured theme you can obtain. :)

Looks as though the handling, track design and style is more than back. I am usually critical of IGN, but this video review was pretty decent. It gave a good insight into the game.

Dimension
22nd March 2005, 04:05 PM
Cool video, refreshing to see a decent length video and the little you see of flash looked a pretty pretty good :) As Deadly Diabetic said, the landing on the wall thing is very cool, by the looks of it plenty of that will tke place in zone mode. Another thing, near the start of the video a ship goes off the track and instantly teleports back on, does that mean the wuss wagon's gone? 8O

BenjaminBirdie
22nd March 2005, 04:10 PM
there's a lovely black-coloured theme you can obtain. :)

TOO. MUCH. COOLNESS.

It's weird how the smallest detail is the one that finally sends you screaming to the hills.

Salt|Ultra
22nd March 2005, 04:20 PM
1.) Around the three minute mark on the video you see the pilot take a jump and then land on the siderail itself. I think that is pretty freakin' cool!
2.) Is it just me or are there areas that don't appear to have siderails at all?
3.) Around the four minute mark, ... you see a weapon go flying by and then bounce off the walls until it hits something. What weapon is that?
5.) The background! OMG, the backgrounds are gorgeous! I'm afraid I'm going to be admiring the scenery and get my butt handed to me in the mean time.

1. Yup it is possible, but not always a good thing :wink:
2. There are a few tracks that come to mind that have stretches without sidewalls. Sol2 (the cloud track) is the most noteable.
3. The missle which is a PITA unless I'm shooting it. It doesn't just randomly hit craft, it is homing :x
5. That is what Free Play is for ;)

Yup Dimension, there is no more wuss wagon.

I've had mine on the black skin from the moment I got the game.

Concept
22nd March 2005, 04:34 PM
It's weird how the smallest detail is the one that finally sends you screaming to the hills.

I don't have a scanner to grab the picture properly, so it's not the greatest photo in the world (damn lighting), but this screams future coolness to me. :)

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/3356/17zf.jpg

Mods feel free to delete (even though it is a postage stamped screen) if any rules are being broken.

BenjaminBirdie
22nd March 2005, 04:46 PM
HNNNNNNNNNNG.

So, is that only downloadable from Edge or something? Or was that just in the Edge article? Or, you know, can I use this immediately?

Hot DAMN, it's pretty. And we get two of these a month?

EDIT: I love that Classic arrow too. Big big big ups to everyone (again!) At Studio Liv for refusing to skimp out on even the smallest opportunities for coolness.

You know, there's a lot of talk about online play and frame rates and blippityblah and what not, but it's these little touches that I keep uncovering that make this just one of the most perfect looking games I've ever come across. That little bit about trading records with friends over Wi Fi. It's such a small detail, but so fricking cool when you get down to it. The same goes for those incredibly extensive stats. I wonder if you can trade that with friends too?

Concept
22nd March 2005, 04:55 PM
Yeah. It's these little touches which make Wipeout what it is.

The EDGE logo at the top was something the team did for the article I think. You're allowed to input custom (or downloadable) content on to the billboards in the races, and perhaps in the menu.

All I know is that someone who has the game has confirmed this skin is in the final version, which of course, being a cyberpunk obsessive is something I'm delighted with. ;)

Rapier Racer
22nd March 2005, 05:23 PM
Custom content on the billboards, I don't suppose that means a picture you have taken with you digital camera for example?

Concept
22nd March 2005, 05:33 PM
I don't know at the moment. I know Edge clearly stated there is going to be downloadable content and say:

"Already planned is a facility which will enable players to design their own skins for the billboards which surround the track."

Remember the graffiti mode in Jet Set Radio Future? It'll probably be something along those lines. The team apparently also have pre-made ones ready for download in the future too.

At least I hope we're able to design our own, as then Curly can be brought back. ;)

Mobius
22nd March 2005, 06:13 PM
I don't think tDR would be too chuffed with that - you copyright n stuff...

Havent seen the review yet but i'm d/l to my hard drive as its quicker funnily enough.

I'll give you my opinion soon.

Concept
22nd March 2005, 06:25 PM
I'm talking about designing your own characters and such like. Although I imagine if it's possible to save photos/images on to the memory stick for use in the game, the copyright problem across all spectrums would be impossible to regulate.

Mobius
22nd March 2005, 06:28 PM
Uh oh - Lance is gonna get you! Remove the quote quickly!!!

a new Wipeout title thats back to its roots, to bad its on a tiny little handheld. Hope they make it on Xbox2 or PC (with FPS lock).

Really? I would thought it would be on the PS3

Concept
22nd March 2005, 06:36 PM
Cheers for the tip. ;)

If Pure sells well (and I know the import crowds are currently going mad for it with it being sold out everywhere, hopefully the same will happen in America), then I'd say the chances of a PS3 title would be good.

It wouldn't be tradition if a Playstation home console didn't see a Wipeout title throughout the duration of its lifespan.

Sometimes you get the sense that Wipeout and Ridge Racer almost go hand-in-hand during launches or dips/return in/to form.

Rapier Racer
22nd March 2005, 07:34 PM
I just watched the video 8O everything about it looks so perfect, it has to sell well it can’t possibly flop it just can’t! If only it were a PS2 game we'd all be playing it right now :(

…………………..3 months :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hybrid Divide
22nd March 2005, 11:07 PM
Man, that Edge skin looks ace.

I really wish I could find them here in the US.

Concept
22nd March 2005, 11:32 PM
Videogame journalism is generally in such a state these days, that Edge is one of only a handful of gaming magazines across the planet worth buying.

Do you remember the now defunct 'Next Gen' from the US? That used to be Edge's sister magazine that re-used a large number of articles written for Edge.

BenjaminBirdie
22nd March 2005, 11:39 PM
Next Generation: The Magazine Whose Cover Inspired Me To Buy WipEout (And, By Default, A PS1).

There will never be another like it.

Concept
22nd March 2005, 11:48 PM
Edge also featured lovely Wipeout covers for 1, 2097 and 3.

They recently had a 'making of' Wipeout feature that was great.

Shame to see 'Next Gen' go under really. What else does the US have for serious videogaming journalism?

EGM? :(

To be honest, the lack of distribution for Edge in the US is mystifying, especially considering Austrailia has their very own edition of the magazine.

I think it has something to do with copyright over the name which prevents Future from delivering their flagship magazine more abroad.

gbit
23rd March 2005, 01:33 AM
EGM doesn't even count. I will generalise very badly here, and say that most US mags [apart from the journals] are crap compared to British magazines.

Case-in-point: PCZone and PCFormat as compared to the multitude of US PC magazines.

But buying said UK magazines here in Canada is bloody expensive. After importing the cost is $20! 8O

Back on topic: That IGN video review was very well done, and was some of the best wo pure footage I've seen. Zone mode looks like an abtract piece of art (much like one of wirestyle's works over at deviantart.com).

And here I have the game with no psp to play it on. :cry:

Deadly Diabetic
23rd March 2005, 02:21 AM
I may get laughed out of the forums for this, but generally I like Game Informer as a magazine. I haven't noticed to bad of a tilt toward one platform over the other and I generally agree with the reviewers.

Let the flaming begin... :bombhead

-DD

Chill
23rd March 2005, 04:06 AM
Sorry that I'm extremely slooow, but I just saw the review, and it's awesome!!!! :D :D 8O I'm so excited, it's #&$@n' pathetic!!!! Too bad a gotta wait another month!!! :x You guy's will be way ahead by then :lol: !!!! Now, back to everyone elses topic... :wink: