PDA

View Full Version : PSP delayed in Europe?

element42
18th March 2005, 07:58 AM
hey, did anyone read the Times yesterday?
There was a big article on page 3 about how the PSP was going to be delayed in Europe for possibly months thanks to a chip shortage or something. :x (unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read it properly, I was in a rush...)

Anyone have any more info?

Dimension
18th March 2005, 08:18 AM
Chip shortage huh? Bit late for Sony to be pulling that one isn't it, after it's long since been revealed that they've taken units from here (EU) specifically for the NA release *shrugs* whatever will they think of next (to delay the release I mean ;))

Space Cowboy
18th March 2005, 09:47 AM
I read the article :( seems a super tanker got stuck in the suez canal, delaying the arrival of psp's bound for blighty. Doesnt sound very plausible to me, my grandad worked at suez for 20 odd years and he said the place is run with military prescion and planning.

infoxicated
18th March 2005, 10:04 AM
This sounds like a confusion with the PS2 shipments being stuck at xmas time, to be honest - I didn't think the blockage in the Suez Canal was an ongoing thing.

Salt|Ultra
18th March 2005, 02:59 PM
Sony has had lots of problems with chip production for the PSP, so in a way they are telling the truth. It is this chip problem that led to the shortage which is causing them to only release in NA instead of the planned NA & UK/EU launch.

By now Sony was supposed to be turning out 1 million PSPs a month, but they are producing only ~400,000 per month.

Concept
18th March 2005, 05:56 PM
I'll be picking up a US PSP if Pure turns out to be as good as it looks right now. The fact that the estimated retail price currently stands at £180 (whilst retailing for £100 in Japan) suggests Europe may pick up the bill for the system's cuts elsewhere.

That doesn't sit right in my opinion, especially when we'll probably be getting the system six months later, and at an over-inflated price after the PSP has experienced probable cuts in Japan/US.

I think once the initial furore has died down around the US launch, I'll be paying a visit to VG+.

I hope Sony doesn't screw Europe over by making us compensate for the cheap pricing/available units elsewhere.

Mobius
18th March 2005, 06:08 PM
The idea was sony were going to sell these at a loss and they would only make profit elsewhere after 2 years...I thought this was mad when i fist heard it but now i understand.

The loss is selling it in japan and NA (Does that include mexico :?: ) and after 2 years when it is finally launched over here - they will be overpriced to make mon£y...

Genius... :?

Concept
18th March 2005, 06:11 PM
That's if the current pricing stands. I'll retract my criticisms if Sony launch the system between £120-130, but I don't think they will. :(

They know people will lap up the PSP simply because of the power of the brand name.