PDA

View Full Version : Preview (yes, preview) in the new Edge

mid
17th March 2005, 08:04 AM
My subscription copy of Edge 148 has just arrived, and you'll all want one. Glorious, gorgeous cover, all Pantone Pink and white backgrounds with an AG-Sys, Feisar and an Assegai launching themselves off the front in spot gloss. Back cover looks somewhat like the 2097 disc print with the swirling arrow, accompanied by the 8 team logos.

The 6 page preview inside is having to be held at arm's reach too, otherwise it's going to get covered in drool. Loads of quite clearly exclusive screenies, as they've been plastering the Edge logo all over the billboards for fun.

Zone Mode looks to-die-for, by the way; as if Vanessa Z. Schneider has become an AG Racer.

yawnstretch
17th March 2005, 10:51 AM
Sweet - Ill be buying this tomorrow - I can still remember the first Edge Cover with Wipeout. Absolutely brilliant! 8)

BenjaminBirdie
17th March 2005, 02:08 PM
Scans for the Americans! Hell, throw us a bone! We've got nothing WipEout related...until...we pick up...the....um....game next week.

:oops:

Sorry. Take your time.

mid
17th March 2005, 02:14 PM
No scans, but that cover can be seen at their website (http://www.edge-online.co.uk/).

Space Cowboy
17th March 2005, 02:52 PM
Scans would be nice, we like scans do we? Hmm... yes we do ;)

Salt|Ultra
17th March 2005, 02:55 PM
must.have.now.

Sausehuhn
17th March 2005, 03:07 PM
WHAT A COVER!!! MAN!!! 8O

Yaster
17th March 2005, 03:57 PM
By the way, that pic on that website just does not show how pink the lettering actually is.

mid
17th March 2005, 04:01 PM
To be fair, mere monitors are incapable of showing just how PINK!!! that colour is anyway. It's very, very pink indeed.

As for scans, sorry guys - I don't want to go breaking copyright rules. The mag is well worth a purchase anyway.

Hellfire_WZ
17th March 2005, 04:27 PM
I've just picked it up, and yes, it's the pinkest thing I've ever seen. :wink:

The preview really is a good read, the first truly in-depth article I've seen. It's also plastered with screenshots, some of which haven't been published on the net. Most notably the new Zone mode. The Zone ship looks remarkably like a fully upgraded Xios, and the tracks, while quite barren in terms of features, look really crisp and well designed. Also, I like the way they say that "Rapier and Phantom wil satisfy the occasionally masochistic needs of the loyal Wipeout veteran". Other than that, everything else is just spelling out what we already know, but it only makes me want this game all that much more. :)

Prometheus
17th March 2005, 04:38 PM
my God, it's beautiful... there's some screen shots I've never seen before... I had no idea all those cell shaded modes were actually zone mode.. i thought it was like wip3out. I also own the Arcade magazine exclusive with wip3out article and cd... shame there's no cd this time but the art work is just beautiful... ahem.... *gets into high pitched voice* "I'm lovin it" :wink:

silaris
17th March 2005, 05:53 PM
8O Okay, I'm going to have to find out how to get that issue over here in America, don't know what it's going take, but I'm getting it. Have Gamers Republic's preview of Wip3out as well as PSM's, and Game Players' Wipeout XL preview.

eLhabib
17th March 2005, 05:56 PM
just check out an international bookstore. They're sure to have it in a week or so...

Prometheus
17th March 2005, 06:24 PM
ok this is interesting, the magazine Edge have tested downloading and installing an update... the update comes in the form of advertisements and banners of the Edge magazine logo within the track....
in addition one menu screen shows the classic tracks.... I'm not sure if this was already known but they are:
Karbonis
Sagarmatha
Manor Top
Mandrashea

infoxicated
17th March 2005, 06:37 PM
Anyone internationally who wants to get hold of that mag - I'll buy it and ship it to you if you can pay me back via paypal. :)

Hybrid Divide
17th March 2005, 06:39 PM
Count me in Foxy!

(No pun intended!) :D

JABBERJAW
17th March 2005, 06:54 PM
sagarmatha?!! seriously, that was in wo3se. I forgot what mandsharee looked like, from what I remember it was easy.

Mobius
17th March 2005, 06:56 PM
Count me in Foxy!

I'm sure that is a line from goldmember.
Now i have an excuse to watch it :)

Hybrid Divide
17th March 2005, 09:48 PM
Never seen it, don't really want to either.

I just thought it was a fun play on Infoxxicated's name. :P

Axel
18th March 2005, 12:20 AM
Yeah this mag is pretty cool indeed. I'm seriously thinking of getting a PSP now. But I'm not fishing 170 quid for it though :( Must look ta the black market :P

stin
19th March 2005, 07:50 AM
Got the mag yesterday and eermm I will read it later when I got time :oops:

Looks awesome stuff and loads to read too!!!

At least mine is ordered :P

stevie :D

Ally Graham
19th March 2005, 07:56 AM
I have DT coursework to do before I can go into town this afternoon.

Think I am going to start off a subscription service to EDGE as it is a very good magazine, and covers a whole range of gaming.

Prometheus
19th March 2005, 10:43 AM
Just finished reading teh article.. hehe, had it on me throughout my uni lectures but didn't get the time to read it till i got home.. Just went to my room, played some wipeout soundtrack and started reading :)

It's a very well written piece, almost something you would read in the Sunday Times or Evening Standard. It doesn't patronise the reader but at the same time, seems very enthusiastic. The adjectives used are a bit elaborate, but hey, it's wipeout... words can't accurately describe it

Did anyone else notice the mention of no in game music track selection or custom mp3 playlist from memory stick? They said it might not be supported due to some tight schedules and technology contraints with large number of accesses to UMD discs... I thought the track selection and custom mp3 stuff was confirmed?

Seek100
19th March 2005, 04:09 PM
Yes that stuff is confirmed but when they were developing the game they didn't know that at the time, the stuff about using your own music and selecting tracks ingame wasn't yet confirmed when they finalised stuff for purE I guess. Oh well, there'll always be the next game for SL to add in those kinds of features.

mid
30th March 2005, 09:25 AM
US WipErs - Barnes & Noble have just started stocking import copies of Edge. You're a bit delayed (the "current" issue is last month's with the Resident Evil 4-inspired feature on the nature of fear in games, so you'll have to wait a bit), but the slow shipping means they're 'only' charging $8, which is only a touch more than the £4 we pay in the UK.

Rapier Racer
30th March 2005, 11:17 AM
That magazine was not easy to find you know, Tesco, COOP, game, HMV, local newsagents not one of them had it, finally found it in Gamestation in all it’s pink glory! Then I stared at the cover for 15 minutes :oops:

eLhabib
30th March 2005, 03:32 PM
WOOOOOOO! Just bought the magazine after it finally arrived in stores here in Vienna, and I have to say, apart from the truly outstanding article (those guys know their w'o''), this issue of EDGE Magazine ought to have the most beautiful cover I have ever seen in my entire life. 8O

Ally Graham
31st March 2005, 07:25 AM
It is very nice.

EDGE quite often to amazing covers like that, one of the best still.

Concept
13th April 2005, 12:36 PM
Edge gave Wipeout Pure 8/10 in their latest issue.

Purist
13th April 2005, 01:39 PM
Anyone else notice the EDGE exclusive? track on page 89, oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo 8O we never did do any bonus content :(

Hellfire_WZ
13th April 2005, 01:41 PM
Nice, I rarely see EDGE give higher than that. Did the review itself do the game justice?

mid
14th April 2005, 04:30 PM
Anyone else notice the EDGE exclusive? track on page 89

not an exclusive track, but exclusive hoarding logos on a current one.

Purist
14th April 2005, 05:10 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, ok... DRAT! thought there mighta been some sorta Edge/Liverpool Studio joint effort there :(

Egg
23rd April 2005, 11:31 AM
Gamesradar have Edge's review up:

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/reviews/default.asp?siteid=60&sectiontypeid=5&subsectionid=1611&pagetypeid=2&articleid=35508&page=1

Those guys are sure hard to please.

Purist
23rd April 2005, 11:50 AM
Yea, they are kinda hard to please but as you know they are by far the most respected 'game industry' mag, thought provoking, great design, extreeeemely well written and I've only known of TWO occasions Goldeneye (http://ign64.ign.com/articles/151/151991p1.html) and Super Mario 64 (http://ign64.ign.com/articles/150/150606p1.html) where they've handed out a '10' so an 8 is excellent!!!

Quite unlike 'other' known magazines that hand our '9' and '10's' willy nilly :wink:

Egg
23rd April 2005, 12:01 PM
Goldeneye got a 9, one occasion when Edge got it wrong (IMO).
Gran Turismo 1 and Mario 64 were the first 10s ... Ocarina of Time got full marks too, I think. Well deserved.

Purist
23rd April 2005, 12:17 PM
DOH! :oops: I'll get my coat :?

Egg
23rd April 2005, 12:41 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's nothing! If Edge scores are anything to go by, PurE is better than Grand Theft Auto 3.

...which, of course, is true :)

lunar
23rd April 2005, 12:59 PM
Undoubtedly.

As a matter of fact Pure is far better than Gran Turismo - so it should actually score 11. :wink:

mid
27th April 2005, 02:45 PM
At the time, GT was pretty amazing; the 10 makes sense in historical context.

That full list of 10s in Edge's 12 or so year history:

Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend Of Zelda: The Ocarina Of Time
Halo
Half-Life 2

You really do have to work to get a ten there.

Purist
27th April 2005, 02:56 PM
Nice stats 'mid' :D ... is it just me or does the inclusion of Mario 64 and the exclusion on Mario Kart (SNES) border on blasphemy? :roll:

Egg
27th April 2005, 10:21 PM
Was Edge around when Mario Kart SNES was released?

PS, no arguement. We still play Mario Kart SNES at lunchtimes 8) 8) 8)

mid
28th April 2005, 11:14 AM
I still maintain that Mario 64 is the greatest 3D platformer ever made. It's the one 10 I'd least argue with. But I don't think Mario Kart was out in time for issue 1 of Edge, no. Even if it was, Kart's full genius is subtle and takes time to mature, so merely awarding a 9 is completely understandable if that's what they did.