View Full Version : Modojo review of WOP

Yaster
16th March 2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah I've never heard of them either but here it is:
http://www.modojo.com/articles/reviews/psp/wipeout_pure/
Sounds cool even if the reviewer has his tongue right up Nintendo's backside

silaris
16th March 2005, 03:12 PM
It's nice, but it's a bad idea to compare games in reviews through oppinions. There's nothing to compare between F-Zero and Wipeout. Two completely different games. I'd say a lot but I don't want to get negatory about reviews in general.

Mano
16th March 2005, 03:21 PM
A fraction of Modojo´s review:

...To its credit, there isn't really anything negative to say about Wipeout Pure other than it's nowhere near as thrilling as F-Zero GX. The speed level is a bit subdued, and it's actually a bummer because I often feel like I'm not moving fast enough. Fans of the series will argue that Wipeout was never about blinding speed, to which I say they're right, but this is also 2005, and there are other games out there...well who am I kidding? It's all about F-Zero GX...

the author is really really wrong... wipeout never being about speed?!?!, I guess he never played Phantom, btw i played FZGX demo at the mall once and i still think XL in Phantom is quicker, or at the very least you need more reflexes and anticipation to play it.. but maybe someone who has played FZGX more can confirm this?; not as thrilling as FZGX??? come on...

are you sure this isnt nintendo power magazine in disguise? :?

Yaster
16th March 2005, 03:26 PM
GX is absolutely blinding btw. But then like someone said WO was never really about speed and I have always thought it to be a better game through out their repective series'.

So yeah i would say that GX is really fast and maybe this reviewer is right when he says its faster than Pure but i can't tell that for sure as i havent played Pure yet.

WO3 is better than GX still

Axel
16th March 2005, 04:35 PM
Thats a tough one, but yeah GX is way faster than wipeout. But then Wipeout has other things that make it stand out to make it it's own winner. I love both games TBH, and can't choose which one is better.

Sausehuhn
16th March 2005, 04:54 PM
I never played GX, but I have to agree, that WipEout is not as fast as it could be. Okay, when you play Phantom the first time, you will say: wooohooo, that's incredible fast!
But when you know a track very well and flew it a few thousend times you feel slow sometimes.
For example: Auricom in Wip3out is not slow in Phantom, okay, it's not the fastest, but I do not want to fly with Icaras all the time, it's faster, but the handling is not as good as Auricom's. Would like to have a speed class that is higher than Phantom sometimes, but all in all it's fast enough.

Oh man, I'm saying bad things about WipEout! About my favourite game!

Shut up Max!

JABBERJAW
16th March 2005, 05:03 PM
Using piranha in phantom class is absolutely faster than fzerogx. As far as the twitch control needed to navigate a course without hitting, it is not even close. This guy I doubt played the whole game(since it is not out yet!), and the game is about blinding speed AND great controls

Dimension
16th March 2005, 06:54 PM
FZGX is fast, but the tracks are huge, very wide and the corners and barely challenging, the only challenge in the game comes from the other ships because the scale of the levels make it easy as pie to manoeuvre your micro machi-err anti gravity micro machine. Speed isn't everything and that reviewer's seeing it in a very 2 dimensional way, speed does not make a game more challenging or sweat inducing, if you scaled down f-zero's tracks to be as challenging as wipEout tracks, you'd be looking at W3O rapier auricom at the very best. Oh well, if even that guy can put aside the nin-fanboy stuff to see the good in an SCEE game, it must be good :)

Bob Todd
16th March 2005, 07:13 PM
the author is really really wrong... wipeout never being about speed?!?!, ?
Wipeout = speed = fun.

eLhabib
16th March 2005, 08:04 PM
I have played F-Zero GX A LOT and I can surely say that it's NOT faster than Wipeout! There may be parts of tracks that FEEL faster, but actually it is not. Also, as Dimension said, the challenge doesn't come from the tracks, but from the massive amount of rival ships, which is a great sight at first to have the screen full of enemies, but it really loses attractiveness after some time. I could not imagine a TT race at F-Zero, that would just be lame...
As far as Pure's speed is concerned, my guess is that this amateur reviewer only played Vector class and didn't even know there are faster speed classes, for he is clearly a Nintendo fanboy and F-Zero player and, as such, doesn't know that things like speed classes even exist in futuristic racing games (F-Zero doesn't feature speed classes, it starts of as fast as it gets.
Pure is gonna be as fast as previous Wipeouts, or even faster, I'm sure about that, and that's really all I need.

Hybrid Divide
16th March 2005, 08:20 PM
I always compare F-Zero to WipEout just like I compare NASCAR to F-1.

NASCAR might have the overall speed on straights and smoothe courses. But get them into something really technical and F-1 will win every time!

The only good F-Zero games to feature GOOD technical courses are the old SNES and GBA versions. Some really tight corners and such on those. But the 3D ones are god awful.

And let's not even get started on realism via storylines.
(F-Zero is rather cheezy with its Spandex clad heroes.) :lol:

Does this make sense to anybody else out there?

Seek100
16th March 2005, 08:50 PM
F-Zero may have always been cheesy in storyline terms, but Fusion approached that level with some of the backstories, especially things like the EG.r pilots and spanish teenagers being executed under a repressive law to protect tourists, even worse the founder of Icaras dying by eating a baloon, some of it looked like the scrawlings of a 12 year old, or one of the 'whacky' episodes of the Simpsons where the writers tried to immitate Family Guy's surrealism.

I'm hoping purE's backstories are much more maturely written like those of w'o" 1-3

eLhabib
16th March 2005, 08:59 PM
I don't care about any backstories, I just want SHIPS that FLOAT at HIGH SPEED. that's all.

Axel
16th March 2005, 09:01 PM
I know this is a wipeout board but please lets not be biased SOOO much lol. Come on, if you make the fastest craft possible in the custom craft section, the speed definately out does the speed fo wipeout seriously.

Lance
16th March 2005, 09:32 PM
F1 machines certainly ought to be able to outdo NASCAR machines in the tricky bits for two reasons: 1- they cost several times as much as NASCAR racers, and 2- they're designed to handle tricky bits.

Wipeout ships have a similar relationship to F-Zero machines. except maybe for the 'cost several times as much' part. :)

Dimension
16th March 2005, 09:36 PM
yeah, FZGX outdoes wipEout in speed, i'll grant you that much, F-Zero looks pretty and there's a ship to suit everyone's tastes, but outside of single races against an entire field, it doesn't have any challenge and even then there are better games you could play for the sake of beating up the AI. I enjoyed FZGX, i'm not bashing it for the sake of being a fan boy, but the fact remains that true wipEouts are eternal, we'll (or at least I'll) be playing them for a long time to come, I sold FZGX two weeks ago, you see my point? Nintendo's massive characters, "epic" storylines, ubah speed and cheese will, while keeping their fanboys interested, never constitute a game that you should claim better than wipeout, it's like the gimmicks of FZ vs. the style of wipeout.
Fanboys like the gimmicks ---> gimmicks sell ---> Nintendo likes the gimmicks :wink:

Thruster2097
16th March 2005, 09:41 PM
" Fans of the series will argue that Wipeout was never about blinding speed".......WE INVENTED PHANTOM CLASS, JACKASS!

Modojo, this is what you get for screwing around with true wipeout fans.
Now wipe the tears from your eyes and run home to mummy.

Dimension
16th March 2005, 09:43 PM
LOL, way to go thrusty, you tell 'em :clap

zargz
16th March 2005, 11:06 PM
.....WE INVENTED PHANTOM CLASS, JACKASS!We ??! :D

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Thruster2097
16th March 2005, 11:15 PM
We (as in wipeout) invented the velocity overload that is Phantom.
We, (as in WipEoutZone) lent our name to Zone mode, which is the mother of all speed!

Whichever way you look at it, we do have this loser beaten.
Speed, and lots of it, is essential to WipEout.

No if
No but
No maybe.

Hybrid Divide
16th March 2005, 11:18 PM
*applause for Thrusty* :D

Mano
17th March 2005, 01:35 AM
Well, Al has confirmed that Piranha in Phantom XL is definitely faster that GX and i think one of my top priorities to rate that review has been covered, so im gonna say its really bad, how can you rate a game series, without knowing enough of it?!, i cant talk about Pure since that hasnt been out yet, but what the hell is he saying?? Wipeout not being about speed?!?!, i love to play XL with pirahna in phantom class for the speed!!

if someone else want to make a comment about comparing Wipeout XL at Phantom class in pirahna and FZeroGX top speeds, i would be glad to hear it.

and what about zone mode?? i havent played it but isnt that supposed to be even faster than Phantom pirahna in XL??

the entire design is better in Wipeout, from the ships to the tracks.

and the MUSIC!, wheres the opinion about the music in that review? is the author deaf?? a comment about how the music makes you tap your feet is not even a decent sentece lol.

Not to mention the entire atmosphere the game immerses you when you play it, way better than in any F-zero game.

i can tell you one thing tho that i assume biases people, Fzero is easier, and i have played both games, in many of their incarnations.

F-zero might have started it all, the concept might be similar, and i really loved the snes version, but to me WIpeout is on a very different league, a higher league.

Lance
17th March 2005, 01:43 AM
well said

G'Kyl
17th March 2005, 08:11 AM
I too consider the preview incomplete, even downright bad from an editorial point of view, but I would still like to add that there are enough players out there who prefer the style and the music and the speed and the challenge of the F-Zero series over any Wipeout game. And people, they can't be wrong. ;) In the end, it's all about subjectiveness, and however miserably I myself got along with the latest FZeros, I'd stay far away from statements like "Wipeout IS better than F-Zero." All the arguments I ever heard from one side or the other can be countered with just as many reasons in favor of the opposite opinion. :)

Ben

yawnstretch
17th March 2005, 11:00 AM
stay far away from statements like "Wipeout IS better than F-Zero."
Ben

Well you're probably right G...

But I don't care!!

:twisted: WipEout > F-Zero :twisted:

Salt|Ultra
17th March 2005, 03:11 PM
I like F-Zero, I like Wipeout. I also like apples and oranges. :lol:

G'Kyl
17th March 2005, 04:17 PM
Precisely my point. :)

Thruster2097
17th March 2005, 05:45 PM
oh I get it... :brickwall

Let me ask you a question.
Do you think that speed is an important part of WipEout?

Sausehuhn
17th March 2005, 06:19 PM
Erm... how should I say this....

...yes! :D

G'Kyl
17th March 2005, 09:35 PM
Why, sure it is!
Let me ask you a question in return: Do you think Wipeout only has a reason to exist as long as it has the bigger... erm... as long as it goes at faster speeds?
;-)

Thruster2097
17th March 2005, 10:02 PM
Yes.
WipEout has a tradition to uphold. Each version of the game has got progressivley faster, right?

But this isnt the point.

Modojo thinks that speed has never been an important part of my beloved wipeout. I want to tell him that WipEout stands so far infront of the competition because of its many oustanding attributes. Speed being a rather large attribute.

Sure, I do enjoy GX. It is a bit of fun. But it is meant to be fun because it is geared toward a younger audience, therefore not in wipeout's league, so I cannot see how a comparison is even being thought about, let alone considered!

FoxZero
17th March 2005, 11:00 PM
this is a wipeout board. i think youre outnumbered 8O

G'Kyl
18th March 2005, 06:26 AM
I totally understand how you feel about this, Thruster. It's just that I have heard many people - not on this board (surprise! ;) ) - say F-Zero is way better, more challenging and so on, and so on, and so on. Not younger people, that is. They just liked it better for all the reasons we like Wipeout better. Which is why you cannot claim it as a fact to be worse than Wipeout - no matter its target audience. Strictly speaking, and this really is the point, there is no such thing as objectivness.
Sorry if I sound rather harsh, but the fact that everyone should be able to accept variant opinions without arguing themselves into a superior position is something I feel very strongly about.

I do agree though on the fact that of course, speed is one of the major attributes of the Wipeout games. Each one tried to go as fast as contemporary technology and the programmers insight into it allowed. :-)

Ben

Salt|Ultra
18th March 2005, 07:21 AM
I agree that speed is one of the major things that makes Wipeout fun, but there is a limit to how fast you can go and still have a fun game. Unless we want to simply have huge oval tracks or have to slam on the brakes for every turn, then ultimate speed is over rated.

Make it feel like I'm going just a bit too fast for the track and I'm a happy camper.

Thruster2097
18th March 2005, 07:24 AM
Apples and Oranges?
I've always thought of wipeout being more like an orange.
Once youve got through the tough outer skin of the handling, that citrus blast hits you. Wether that blast is your first perfect lap, or your first elimination, you will be hit by it. Then your primal instinct takes over and you just want more and more! One or two seeds to watch out for, but theyre big enough to avoid.

GX is the apple.
Sweet on the outside but with a core so bitter you just really wana throw the damn thing away!

Thanks for trying to reason with me, gkyl, but it hasnt worked.

Salt|Ultra
18th March 2005, 07:29 AM
Apple pie is tasty, you ever try to make a pie out of oranges?

eLhabib
18th March 2005, 11:27 AM
don't tell me you never eaten orange cake!

oh and by the way: w3o SE's two prototype GP tracks where WAY faster than F-Zero will ever be :P

G'Kyl
18th March 2005, 11:54 AM
Hm, I didn't try to convince you of how great F-Zero is, but that one cannot say one or the other definitiely IS better than the other. Just wanted to point that out one last time to avoid misunderstandings. I'm all with you when you go about praising Wipeout over anything else in the (gaming) world. :)

Ben

eLhabib
18th March 2005, 12:25 PM
Don't worry about it, we're really just kidding around, AREN'T WE?

Of course there is noone objective enough on these boards to say which game is better, it's all a matter of personal preferences.

The point concerning the speed issue is, yes, F-Zero IS faster sometimes, if you just look at the distance covered in a certain time, BUT you don't really get to feel the speed rush, because the tracks are so wide it really doesn't matter how you drive.

I think the best comparison really is, as mentioned before, NASCAR and F1 (W'O'' being F1 of course): NASCAR might be faster, but you're just going around a rather easy track and the real problem is having to battle the other cars. In F1 racing you are mainly battling the track itself and if you know racing venues like Monte Carlo, you have the feeling that the cars are simply too fast for such a tight course, and that's exactly the feeling W'O'' produces. When you start of playing a new W'O'' course, you scrape and bump the tight corners unless you slow down a bit, but as you are getting better, someday you find the perfect line that lets you fly through the same tight corners without having to slow down.
And that's the kick that makes out wipEout. (or at least for me, that is... share your thoughts, everbody)