PDA

View Full Version : AG racing demo on GBA

Wiseman
14th March 2002, 05:53 AM
I was just looking at Gamespot today, and they had a little section on a company called Raylight creating a 3D engine for the Game Boy Advance.

Thing was that they had a neat looking Wipeout style demo running on it(along with a RE style one).

The cool thing, though, was that the ships weren't stuck to the track like F-Zero, the video clearly showed that (even if they are floating way high off the track).

Of course it was just a tech demo showcasing what would be possible using thier 3D engine, it does prove that a remake of Wipeout could be done on the GBA.

Of course, Sony would probably never do it, but...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/031302/raylight/raylight_screen001.jpg http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/031302/raylight/raylight_screen002.jpg

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2854517,00.html

(the video of it is the first one at the bottom, FYI)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiseman on 2002-03-14 06:54 ]</font>

Wamdue
14th March 2002, 09:21 AM
Yes, but how much of the wipeout game could be stored on a gba cassette? mayeb theyd have to cut it down to a light version. Still , its possible, but the lines that are supposed to be lines are going zig zag in the tech demo.. no good for wipeout.

Hybrid Divide
14th March 2002, 05:11 PM
Hey, it may have jaggies... BUT I LOVE IT! And I wouldn't rule it out completely, a WipEout game was made for the N64 and no one saw that comming.

Either way, I like the idea.

Vagrant Logic OUT

Lance
14th March 2002, 09:20 PM
it wants me to become a ''member'' of Download Express just so i can load it. i don't have an express connection, anyway. :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-03-14 22:21 ]</font>

Hydra XL
15th March 2002, 03:17 AM
impressive? yes. Useful? prob not. as it was said before, a decent sized game utilizing this polygon engine is probably impossible on the GBA. Plus it looks rather pitiful when compared even to wipeout 1 on psx, which i'd much rather play instead, and stick to side-scrollers or thps3-esqe games if i'm playin GBA. But perhaps the most impressive of the movie files was the plane; that could b put to some good use for cut scenes to improve the storyline of a game. btw, u scroll a little further down and u can stream the movies, whoever was griping about the membership crap. gamespot is gettin almost as retarded as IGN.com -- but not quite there yet. It seems as if going online is more than ever a hassle than in the past, what w/ all the advertisements are ploys about.

Lance
15th March 2002, 04:25 AM
i had noted the availability of the video as a stream and i would be able to stream the movies if in fact the ''Gamespot Player'' had actually worked. it did not. it crashed itself, ie, and the part of windows that would allow a restart. i had to shut off the computer manually. i will, for once, refrain from sarcasm concerning inept webdesign and microsoft software.

btw, the ie was a last resort, as none of my other browsers would allow the javascript to run at all. i should have listened to them. :smile:

Wiseman
15th March 2002, 04:46 AM
Eh, if the best you got is a 56K, then the Gamespot movies would look like crap anyway.

Thier servers for the 56K movies are S-L-O-W (I'm talking like 1K a sec slow), most of the time it just ends up a choppy looking mess anyway.

So you're not missing much.

Anyway, on to the possibility of Wipeout on the GBA, I'd actually like to see it happen.

I'm out of the house a lot (job, trips, etc.)and I just can't carry a PSX everywhere I go.... It sure would be great to just whoop out my GBA and take a quick lap around a track in my spare time.

Sure would be a hell of a lot better than F-Zero (err, no offense to you F-Zero fans out there).

zone
15th March 2002, 12:56 PM
I'd love to play zone on GBA but not in a dark room.

Lance
15th March 2002, 05:12 PM
it would be good if they made gba with a manually switchable backlight and a jack to allow an external battery pack.

JABBERJAW
15th March 2002, 05:43 PM
If the controls are good I'll buy it. Is this definitely wipeout?

JABBERJAW
15th March 2002, 05:44 PM
nevermind, I just read the heading

Wiseman
16th March 2002, 05:18 AM
it would be good if they made gba with a manually switchable backlight and a jack to allow an external battery pack.I'll definitely agree to that!

Especially with Castlevania:CotM, man, that was definitely a game you didn't want to play in a dark room... "Wha, where's the screen, I can't see anything!" (LOL)

Reminds me of that "Gameboy Advance SpotLight" joke pic.

Lance
16th March 2002, 03:08 PM
heh. yeah, a spotlight would work. backlight would require less battery power.

Spaceboy Gajo
18th March 2002, 07:10 PM
Actually, I have a few comments on the GBA. First of all, those of you that plan to own or currently own a GBA and are interested in brightening it up check out :

http://www.portablemonopoly.com/index.php

I got this off Penny Arcade. They have a hilarious comic based on the GBA and the Portable Monopoly at :

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-02-15&res=l

I don't know why I don't have a link of my own to post :sad:

Any ways, the Portable Monopoly does involve taking apart the GBA and some soldering.

Now as for as Sony making a GBA version or any other platform version of Wipeout, I would not say it would not happen. It's unlikely, but do not say that it will NEVER happen. Just last week, Square (Final Fantasy), which is partly owned by Sony, announced they are making games for Nintendo. Although Sony is covering the costs of the FF movie, this is an example that they haven't ruled out making games for other platforms. Maybe if their hand is forced they will do it. Just like this Square case.

If they see that it's making money, you know Sony won't drop this policy. It's for the almighty Dollar, Yen, Canadian Dollar and Euro!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spaceboy Gajo on 2002-03-18 20:12 ]</font>

rhys
31st March 2002, 06:41 PM
Portable Wipeout.... PERFECT
:lol:

FoxZero
31st March 2002, 09:55 PM
if there was a wipeout for game boy advance id buy it and the system. the possibility that it would be portable is very appealing, even more so if it supported link play.

rhys
1st April 2002, 04:54 PM
link up play would b fun,
8 player multiplayer
(ddddrrrrrooooollll)!! :lol: