PDA

View Full Version : Where in the world is mega city?

Mobius
8th March 2005, 04:06 PM
Bit bored here so i wanted to try something.

The question is, where in the world is mega city?
Post you answers.

eg
I say it is London.
(then this is where you say where in you selected location each track is)
Porto Kora - The Docklands
Mega Mall - Brent Cross Shopping Centre (hey this is in 100 years so it might be renovated)
Sampa Run - mabey a chavvy area or around the east end, where ther are quite a few tower blocks around (I think...)
Stanzer Inter - Wembely area...enough said
Hi-Fumii - Around the Hayes area - where the nestle factory and Stockley Park is.
P-Mar Project - Hyde Park
Manortop - In the actual city itself - it looks a bit similar anyway.
Termianl - Heathrow Airport

Dimension
8th March 2005, 04:11 PM
North England kind of area: one hundred and thirty blah years into the future, it's possible that Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool could, if the populaton grew enough, link into one megapolis/mega city. I mean there's at most (i think) 90-100ish miles between Leeds/Sheffield and Liverpool with Manchester sitting in the middle, it's definitely possible and since the games all come from cities that fall within that megapolis, I'd say that's a likely candidate :)

*edit* oh and as for locations, ehm, it's over 100 years in the future, who knows what the place'll look like then? Could see P-Mar Project sitting somewhere in the pennines though :)

Damon
9th March 2005, 11:07 AM
Funny - there is an area (a fairly 'downmarket' area) of Sheffield called Manor Top. I know at least 1 member of the dev team was from Sheffield, plus that's where Designers Republic is based, so I always assumed this was probably something of a Sheffielder's in-joke.

On this basis, I also assumed 'Mega Mall' could well be a reference to Meadowhall, the ginormous shopping centre that's also in Sheffield, though I admit this is more tenuous.

Damon
9th March 2005, 11:10 AM
North England kind of area: one hundred and thirty blah years into the future, it's possible that Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool could, if the populaton grew enough, link into one megapolis/mega city.

Do you know of the rather bizarre exhibition currently running at Urbis in Manchester? It is based on that same premise of one northern megacity:

http://www.urbis.org.uk/levelone.asp?f=1&page=162

Lance
9th March 2005, 12:23 PM
let's not forget that ancient science-fiction premise of one city covering the entire world, which would make the answer to this topic's question: ''everywhere''

Chill
9th March 2005, 03:34 PM
What a response, Lance!!! :D This is what I thought the movie A.I. was based on. Please direct me if I'm wrong. :wink:

Lance
9th March 2005, 04:42 PM
it was based on Pinocchio :)

Dimension
9th March 2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah, but might not have covered the world in 130 years, might be well on its way, but dunno if it would be done by then. I t would be be a great future, all Coruscant (the star wars central republic city) styled, but with wipEout in there too (instead of that cruddy pod racing,) Mmm nice!

That exhibition looks... interesting lol, figured someone would have come up with the idea sooner or later, interesting news about the stuff in sheffield Damon, interesting indeed :D

Sausehuhn
9th March 2005, 07:49 PM
Coruscant 8O

A track in this city would be like... there's no word for this.

>>> http://www.starwarsfan.org/prequels/news/pics/sotg6%20pics/Coruscant%20Shots.jpg

Dimension
9th March 2005, 10:24 PM
It was just the idea of a city covering the world... heh :oops:

Chill
10th March 2005, 03:40 AM
It would be scary; however, when their's nearly no room on the Earth left. You could only hope for another planet to move on (mabye Titan). It sure would be awesome to find a planet is good as Earth, but larger!!

Off topic: On this type of Wipeout, it would be cool to start racing in the ghetto and dirty alleyways (under all the huge buildings and skyscrapers) when you'd race along and kick up litter. (This is obviously very related to Wipeout Pure) then you'd move up higher, and enjoy more scenery, twisting through and between buildings and all that crud, until you were racing on tracks diping out of the Earth's atmosphere and back down (really really fast), as weapons would become more and more powerful as you move up in the racing-like fusion, but it would have control like xl, of course. :wink:

Anyway, why would you use the word maga-city? Wouldn't it be better to imagine the whole world like that (asking honestly)?

xEik
10th March 2005, 10:02 AM
Coruscant 8O

Trantor came first. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trantor
And the idea of the planet-city probably predates Trantor itself. 8)

zargz
10th March 2005, 12:14 PM
wow! I though I recognised that word!
the books about The Foundation are among the best I read!
Good one xEikhttp://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ok.gif

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Leftism
31st March 2005, 08:15 PM
Funny - there is an area (a fairly 'downmarket' area) of Sheffield called Manor Top. I know at least 1 member of the dev team was from Sheffield, plus that's where Designers Republic is based, so I always assumed this was probably something of a Sheffielder's in-joke.

On this basis, I also assumed 'Mega Mall' could well be a reference to Meadowhall, the ginormous shopping centre that's also in Sheffield, though I admit this is more tenuous.

Thats exactly what I thought about Manor Top. Blatant ghetto in Sheffield, "its grim up north". The track looks exactly like the flats you'd see on the top of the hill from the city centre so I definitely go with a futuristic Sheffield/North of England on that one.

North England kind of area: one hundred and thirty blah years into the future, it's possible that Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool could, if the populaton grew enough, link into one megapolis/mega city. I mean there's at most (i think) 90-100ish miles between Leeds/Sheffield and Liverpool with Manchester sitting in the middle, it's definitely possible and since the games all come from cities that fall within that megapolis, I'd say that's a likely candidate :)

*edit* oh and as for locations, ehm, it's over 100 years in the future, who knows what the place'll look like then? Could see P-Mar Project sitting somewhere in the pennines though :)

Mega City? Possibly a future megalopolis of England, when all the cities join as one. You've definitely smacked it. Sorry to have been a bit late on the topic.

Damon
4th May 2005, 09:12 AM
Better late than never though, eh?

And I firmly expect the next iteration of Wipeout to feature a track weaving its way through the leafy Sheffield suburb of Totley, though hopefully the craft will adhere to the 30mph speed limit.

Mobius
4th May 2005, 02:39 PM
And you can lock the missiles onto the speed cameras