PDA

View Full Version : Lap / Race Times

blain
6th March 2005, 03:41 PM
I have been maniacally playing Wip3out for the last 3 days and my Race/lap times are still seconds behind the top 10.

How the hell can I shave off 5 seconds off a lap and nearly 8 seconds off my race time.

Is there some secret I don't know about?

stin
6th March 2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Blain welcome to the board well your first post!

Do you have a DexDrive? If you have one and I have a link for you so you can see my ghost or ghosts for everyone.

Be patience and your times will eventually comes off bit by bit.

Good luck

stevie :D

Lance
6th March 2005, 03:59 PM
hi, blain, welcome.

practice practice practice

and try a lot of different places to use hyperthrust. also try to cross over every boost pad. never let off the accelerator! use the brakes as little as possible, preferably never for anything but helping you steer. save a shield to protect you from missile hits down the long straights. dump autopilot as soon as you get it unless maybe on Manortop in Phantom and Rapier classes. mostly the autopilot is slower than driving yourself

Roger
6th March 2005, 04:11 PM
Welcome!

I second Lance's advice, with one addition. Regarding the bit about the speed pads, and in the wise words of master Yoda: "Try not. DO!" :)

And before somebody else mentions it: get yerself a neGcon!

blain
6th March 2005, 04:19 PM
I've tried most things, I hit every Turbo Pad, I follow the racing line as much as possible, use hyperthrust to keep my pad vibrating as much as possible, i try to turbo scrape, but im not brilliant at it yet.

I have however just managed to knock a full second of my lap & race times.

btw. whats a dexdrive?

Roger
6th March 2005, 04:28 PM
What's your name on the tables?

A dexdrive is a PS memory card you can connect to a PC for uploading and downloading files (ghost saves, records and so on). I don't own one.

blain
6th March 2005, 04:34 PM
Im on as Steve Frost

On Porta Kora, Time Trials, Vector

Dimension
7th March 2005, 07:15 PM
Hi blain, welcome to the forums, 1:05 isn't bad, my best was around there until I got at Zargz's saves, there's a tournament that we just finished in the arena about PK Vector, Pavel got the current top time then. I'd like to say though that the competition at PK is extremely hot, especially in that class, if you're going to hit the top ten, no crashes, boost off the jump, keep your nose down on the straight, cut the last corner as tight as you can and always pit on your first lap. I've not done venom, but if you want to apply that to Rapier and Phantom, take away the pitlane bit and the boost off the jump bit, trust me, my Phantom time trial is 7th... in a Qirex may I add :wink:

lunar
7th March 2005, 07:53 PM
I would definitely advise you to get a dexdrive. Not only is it more fun playing with someone else rather than just yourself, but you can also quickly see where you`re going wrong - or where you`re better.

Mine cost £9.99 from Lik-Sang and was totally hassle free to set up. Not much to pay to make the greatest game even greater.

Dimension
7th March 2005, 08:14 PM
Yeah, Dex Drives are cool, at least mine is... now that it works :D

blain
8th March 2005, 12:24 PM
if you're going to hit the top ten, no crashes, boost off the jump, keep your nose down on the straight, cut the last corner as tight as you can and always pit on your first lap.

I know this probably sounds like a noob question, but does keeping your nose down increase your speed?

infoxicated
8th March 2005, 12:46 PM
Yes, it can do - while lifting the nose up for jumps or undulations in the track is a good thing, keeping the nose down on a straight can give you a little extra speed. :)

blain
8th March 2005, 03:13 PM
What about corners, other than taking the racing curve, what is the fastest way of getting around a corner?

infoxicated
8th March 2005, 03:46 PM
Taking it wide, skimming the apex and then exiting wide, just like a regular racing game, but preferably aiming for any nearby speed up pads on the way out.

If the corner is a dropping in elevation, you'll want to push your nose down at the same time - Mega Mall's spiral is a good example of this.

The opposite is true of the upward spiral like that found at Terminal, you'll want to pull the nose up as you climb to avoid the craft bottoming out and to keep your speed down.

It all depends again on whether you're entered the corner using airbrakes, too - they'll change the way you set yourself up. Some folks use counter-braking - turning in hard and then using the air-brake on the opposing side of the craft to sort of strafe out of the corner. This was almost a necessity on Wipeout Fusion, where the handling wasn't so direct, although I've yet to find much benefit from it on Wipeout 3/SE.

I'm not what you'd call an expert at the game, though, so you might want to read the thread on piloting tips (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1068) to glean the best pointers from those who are striving for that extra tenth of a second.

blain
9th March 2005, 03:57 PM
Whoot 30.44, puts me in 18th position.