PDA

View Full Version : New Wipeout Pure Information

TMoney
1st March 2005, 04:09 AM
Hey guys,

Gamespot has added some videos as well as a 2nd more recent developer interview for Pure...

A couple of points I noticed...

- Cold Storage is mentioned as a music credit in the interview video at the start of one of the races...!! So that confirms that one. I'm not sure if anyone was already aware of this or not and I can't be bothered to check ;) Didn't look like anyone knew in the music related posts on this section of the forum though... (..edit - also noticed "Cosmos" as an author of a track in one of the movies posted).

- Ryan Eames says they'll be close to 2X the tracks after you've downloaded all the developer content...

... and my own opinion - this game is going to be what Fusion should have been... you can tell the physics seem spot on WOXL/2097... graphics are RIDICULOUS. I currently own a Japanese PSP and Ridge Racers, and while Ridge Racers looks great, this game has got it beat without a doubt.

Oh, and the weapons voice is a lady and she sounds hot ;)

Peace everybody

Tye

Chill
1st March 2005, 04:39 AM
Wow!!! Good stuff!!! :wink: Looks so much better than Fusion, and it's on a portable system!! And yes, all Wipeout female voices sound hot!!! Thanx for the news!!! :P The graphics are awesome!!!

Shem
1st March 2005, 05:38 AM
hmm, it seems that the floatiness of AG crafts is similar to w3o. I'd risk and even say, that the crafts are not floating much. watching the videos, i just couldn't escape the thought, that now, in Pure, the crafts are much heavier than before. You can tell by the video in which a craft bottoms out (or just hits the ground). It didn't bounce much. The same with the craft behaviour - crafts glide the corners as in (God forgive me...) Fusion.
I don't know, i must examine the new trailers once again.

Edit - Take a look at Wipeout Developers Interview 2 at exactly 1:27min. Is it just me, or can i see a "new maneouvre" here? It looks like counterbacking, but, it just struck me, that the craft glides sideways!! Watch it and tell me what you think.

G'Kyl
1st March 2005, 06:43 AM
You're right, it looks a little unique, but then maybe it is just a common airbrake turn, with the nose turning to the opposite direction.

What I like about the new ingame videos is the look of the snowy track and the sound your engine makes when flying over speed pads. Or has that already been in Fusion?

Ben

Salt|Ultra
1st March 2005, 06:56 AM
Those are hot, well except for the snow one I guess that one is cool 8) I hope IGN gets some new clips as well, theirs always look better on my machine for some reason.

I'm guessing that is the slowest or one of the slower classes, 'cause it didn't have the feeling of seped I was expecting.

eLhabib
1st March 2005, 07:19 AM
the speed is rather slow because it is vector class. the ship looks like it has fusion physics when you look at the bouncing and turning, but that's because it's a quirex and they made it reeeaally heavy this time around. like the brick it's called :lol:

the speedup pad noise is SAWEET! so are the huge explosions! damn, this game looks hotter with every new piece of video we get to see! CANT'T WAIT.

AmishRobot
1st March 2005, 09:12 AM
Holy moses. It's really looking good. Beautiful sound effects (especially the boost pad), and that voice is pretty sexy... and british. :wink: It seemed like she only announced certain weapons though, and announcing the shield becoming active seems weird. I'd still like to hear the old amiga voice announce incoming weapons...

That rocket looks mean as hell. :twisted:

That does look like more than airbraking - like a really harsh forced fishtailing. I hope that's the limit of the special moves. I'd hate to see something ridiculous like mid-air 360's.

I also noticed Aphex Twin listed at the start of a race. Even though I believe that was alread confirmed, now it's definite. (When the hell is the soundtrack info going to be released, anyway? It's only a month off in the US)

Anyone else notice the fat cat? Joy! And the video was a bit blurry, but I think I noticed a giant floating pig in the gameplay 5 footage.

yawnstretch
1st March 2005, 09:12 AM
Yeah hopefully the speed and bounciness are down to a qirex ship on slowest mode. The graphics look awesome and the news about the number of tracks is fantastic!

Rapier Racer
1st March 2005, 09:26 AM
Pure looks better all the time, the game looks and sounds really good and those tracks look like they could be a bit of a challenge in the upper classes, roll on April 29th 2005, or at this rate 2007

G'Kyl
1st March 2005, 10:42 AM
I still doubt I'll be able to handle the PSP well enough to drive perfect laps in higher classes. Of course, that's only a personal shortcoming of mine, but I have never been good at using those small analoge sticks from modern gamepads, and as far as I can tell the PSP stick feels similar to those. Anyway, just thinking out loud, yet the way the players from the videos have control over their craft seems to confirm my worries.

Ben

yawnstretch
1st March 2005, 11:01 AM
Hold off your worries for a bit Ben - its not a stick for starters so it probably isnt much like anything you've used before. The surface of the analogue controller doesnt tilt at all and it has a fluidic kind of resistance. -I so canNOT wait until everyone gets a go on a PSP!

TMoney
1st March 2005, 11:33 AM
The PSP handles fine...

While it's a simple game... Ridge Racers controls excellent. The D-Pad feels completely identical to the PS1 & 2... and the buttons just take a couple hours with them to get a good feel for.

If you started your career w/Fusion... I can see where you wouldn't like this too too much.. because it's going to handle like the old games and the analogue pad, in my opinion, was never the way to go for those...

I haven't been using the pad for Ridge Racers.. I don't suspect I'll use it for any racing game the way it feels... but I can see using it in like a platformer or a GTA style game.

yawnstretch
1st March 2005, 12:14 PM
Actually I agree with you there TMoney - I'll probably use the d-pad too if the game flows like wo/wo2097 as I 'grew up' with that control method.

It will be interesting to try old wipeout physics on an analogue though - wasn't the negcon analogue? Never did get around to getting one of those.

I switch between d-pad and analogue for Ridge Racers and both work fine. I usually stay with the analogue but for wipeout furiousness it's good to know I can really rely on the solid D.

G'Kyl
1st March 2005, 12:25 PM
It will be interesting to try old wipeout physics on an analogue though - wasn't the negcon analogue? Never did get around to getting one of those.

That really is part of my problem. I have grown so accustomed to the neg that I find it hard to play games with either digital control or sticks. I too started playing Wipeout the "regular" way, i.e. by using D-Pad. But going back to it now gets me frustrated as it is so apparent to me how much better I could fly with a neGcon.
I just realized maybe this post needs a disclaimer. So here it is: I am not saying "hey look, I got a neg it it's just soooo much cooler I REALLY don't know how you inferiors can still play with a double shock!" :-) Instead, the other way around is more like it: I am such a wimp I actually need a negcon to be ANY good at Wipeout at all.

Ben

eLhabib
1st March 2005, 12:39 PM
well, tell me about it! I think I'm the only person on earth who used to play wo2097 with a MadCatz steering wheel!!! when I tried playing it with the d-pad once I performed TERRIBLE! I was awesome with the steering wheel though...
BUT w3o handles real well with an analogue stick, so I think it'll be just fine.

Sausehuhn
1st March 2005, 01:26 PM
Hey, that looks sweeeeet! The speed class is slow, and yes, the bouning effect I did not really see, but all in all it looks great. I wonder why there are no videos released that features the higher classes, because this is not the best promotion ;)

The graphics are really ccol, and I like the track with the 180° curve. It is as good as the music in this movies is [and of course the female voice!] :D

I hope the trailers will be available at ign.com soon as well, and in a higher quality.
Now show me a video with the bouncing effect and I will be more happy than I allready am. :)

TMoney
1st March 2005, 01:41 PM
The bounce is there guys... trust me...

Go back and play your old Wipeout's at Venom speed and see how much bouncing you do....

When he took a turn sharp you could see him elevate.... any change in the height of the track led to some bouncing...

Trust me it isn't Fusion. Bouncing is alive and well.

lunar
1st March 2005, 04:05 PM
I have to say this game is looking and sounding very sexy indeed. Its impossible to tell what the handling/bounce properties are like from this video, though. It could have been Fusion or 2097 in those terms. The walls seem to stop the ship effectively at certain angles and it seemed that the shield actually made the ship bounce off - or I might have been imagining that. The pilot seemed to get to the front despite some pretty average flying. I hope this isn`t possible at higher classes. It did all get me quite excited though.

yawnstretch
1st March 2005, 04:10 PM
Lol at all the zoners worried for the beloved bounciness!

- we're not big kids in need of a trampoline/bouncy castle I SWEAR :mrgreen:

G'Kyl
1st March 2005, 05:04 PM
But the bouncing is the Wipeout essence!
;)

Well, seriously, didn't Colin say the flight model would be similar to pre-Fusion installments? I really don't think we have to worry about that.

Sausehuhn: The only reason I can imagine why we haven't seen faster classes yet is that Sony thinks it would frighten potential buyers to see you difficult Pure can be to play. Maybe that is why only Vector and Venom have been unlocked for preview plays.

One more not on the music. I am not yet overly impressed by what could be heard so far. Ony of the earlier videos had a more club-like tune playing, but that might as well have been from the scene where the PSP was standing. Anyway, most from yesterdays in-game movies sounds too much like trance/dance music, which I am not a huge follower of.

Ben

Dimension
1st March 2005, 05:54 PM
first off I quite dig the music, the track on the ice circuit reminds me of cold storage's Hakapik murder from the non PSX versions of 2097, the others were decent, sound good for racing, the one on the first of the new three videos especially.

I like the ice track a lot, the bit inside the tunnel looked like a bobsled track and the little icy wind effect halfway through was cool.

IMO the qirex looks pretty slow both accel and top end spedd wise, i reeeeally hope this isn't the case and the brick bullet is the fastest ship (as it is, of course, meant to be,) I would be pretty gutted if it were dead slow :?

The weapons look and sound pretty mean and the obvious boost over the speed pads is nice, just have to wait and see how this one turns out, can't wait to get the american WOZ guys on this to feed us some videos or just words on what the upper classes are like, all this girly league stuff in the videos is getting to me *twitch twitch*

*edit* where have you seen the titles/artists of the songs? I can't see it anywhere :?

Lance
1st March 2005, 06:23 PM
''girly league''
hmf! i'll have you know that it's hArd to get great times in the slower classes

Dimension
1st March 2005, 06:25 PM
''girly league''

Sorry, did I say that out loud? I apologise, I am just so used to calling Vector and Venom that, that it just slips my mind in common conversation, i shall bite my tongue on the matter... :)

infoxicated
1st March 2005, 07:21 PM
all this girly league stuff in the videos is getting to me *twitch twitch*
Phew! - I thought for a moment it was the gameplay footage that I'd been recorded playing, but thankfully it's not - all my stuff was shot using the nose cam! :) :lol:

I'm sure that's Vector class on the video, though - it does look very pedestrian. I was involved in some multiplayer action the other night on the Flash class, and I got an ass whipping. :|

Rapier Racer
1st March 2005, 07:37 PM
You got to play it, neeh *frustration* not fair :( april 29th is so far away :cry:

Thruster2097
1st March 2005, 08:31 PM
Sorry, did I say that out loud? I apologise, I am just so used to calling Vector and Venom that, that it just slips my mind in common conversation, i shall bite my tongue on the matter... :)

be careful about who you call a girl, dimension....
this is me.
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=31
notice the short hair, fashionable urban stubble and passion for kooky shades?
NOT A GIRL!!!!!!! :lol:

My excuse is, and always has been, that I like to fully admire the lovely backgrounds created by the artists. If I fly at phantom, the backgrouds become too blurry!
(and if you can believe that bunch o' trash then you'll believe anything) :wink:

Thanking you and accepting your apology in advance......... :P

Dimension
1st March 2005, 09:19 PM
Phew! - I thought for a moment it was the gameplay footage that I'd been recorded playing, but thankfully it's not - all my stuff was shot using the nose cam! :) :lol:

I'm sure that's Vector class on the video, though - it does look very pedestrian. I was involved in some multiplayer action the other night on the Flash class, and I got an ass whipping. :|

I'm kind of starting to wonder if you're still working on the game or whether you're all just sat around playing it all day :D

it does look very pedestrian.

gotta love that :lol:

*EDIT* thruster, fashionable urban stubble or no fashionable urban stubble, if you race vector you're a girl :lol: :P

zargz
1st March 2005, 09:26 PM
thruster: luv the pic!!! :D LOL! it's great!
and huge too! that really
is you? http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif <
this me! ^

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

infoxicated
1st March 2005, 09:35 PM
I'm kind of starting to wonder if you're still working on the game or whether you're all just sat around playing it all day

I hardly ever play it, actually. I've had a few goes here and there, but a couple of years back I totally ruined Formula One 2003 for myself by playing it all the time before it was finished. In the end I just got bummed by all the changes that kept happening and when it was finally done I hardly played it at all.

So with Pure I've kind of kept my distance, if you know what I mean. Fortunately I've been involved in other things, too, and Colin has helped me abstain - if I went to ask for a play of it he'd say something like "Ah... we've not quite balanced the AI yet for that track... so...!" and I'd just end up leaving it.

It's like finding out what your present is three months before christmas - sure, you want to open it and you're desperate to play with it. But in the end, when you're finally allowed to have it on xmas day, it's not going to have a great deal of impact.

I've been waiting five years for a proper sequel to Wipeout 3 Special Edition - couple more months aren't going to kill me. :)

Thruster2097
1st March 2005, 10:26 PM
:zargz
uh, yep thats me.
But seeing as I am now the honorary girl of wipeoutzone (due to my love for vector and nothing else!) maybe I should airbrush some lip gloss on or something.. :lol:

Quite simply, PurE is the best game for the PSP. And I dont think that this fact will change for a good couple of years.
Best wipeout ever?
dont know because I havent had my oversized fingers mauling it yet! Certainly looks good, and it is obvious that mr. berry is a long term fan of the game. the details and the small touches that I have seen from the fmv are so well suited to the game, and everything "new" just seems like logical progression. Looking great so far and cant wait to play it!

oh, and some of us have been waiting 8 years for a game worthy of following W2097. :wink:
W3 killed the arcade essence for me, turning it from a race game to a race sim.
thats another great feature about pure. because it uses the choicest cuts from every game, it is all things to all pilots.

Lance
1st March 2005, 11:02 PM
i quite like the ''kooky'' shades.

[btw, i like Vector and Venom classes; one can approach perfect precision in the piloting, maybe not achieve it, but at least get close. it really feels good when you do.]

xEik
2nd March 2005, 09:21 AM
/me looks at Thrusty's photo

It's weird how no one in the 'Zone looks like I thought they would. :lol:
Maybe we all should use the upload functionality in the main site to post a photo of ourselves and have a topic were wipers can point to theirs. :D

Not that I'm uploading mine any time soon. I've been needing a haircut for innumerable months. :P

infoxicated
2nd March 2005, 09:56 AM
I don't remember him looking like that, either... I'm sure the Thrusty that stumbled along to my joint in London four years ago was a different one from the one in the picture.

Damn those Queer Eye for the Straight Guy people - he never used to wear designer stubble and shades! :lol: :D :wink:

zargz
2nd March 2005, 11:12 AM
.. I've been needing a haircut for innumerable months. :P and that's exactly what we( i ) want to see! :D
btw i been needing a haicut for years!! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif

Hybrid Divide
2nd March 2005, 11:26 AM
heh!

I haven't got my hair cut in about a year and a half now.

And the ladies I know would knock me senseless if I had it cut! :D

zargz
2nd March 2005, 11:49 AM
I didn't cut mine since the only time (never again!) i shaved my head back in '98! 8O
< bad guy is from then ;) >
:D LOL!!!

Sausehuhn
2nd March 2005, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure if I like the voice. The one of Fusion (or in Wip3out) was better. I don't know why I don't like it so much, maybe it's just the style she's speaking. Is there a way to turn it off?

(and I don't mean to turn all sound effects off and just hear the music, I mean just the voice)

PS: Or maybe turn it off and another on :wink:

Dimension
2nd March 2005, 04:59 PM
what's wrong with the voice? I think it's awesome *thumbs up* :D

Sausehuhn
2nd March 2005, 05:06 PM
hm... I don't know.... it sounds harder, not better :? It's okay, but I would like to have the option to turn it off if I really don't like it when I play the game...

Colin? Do you know something about that?

Rapier Racer
2nd March 2005, 05:11 PM
I doubt you’ll get any such option, it’s never been in the games before and most folk will be happy to race with it, <-- pure assumption

infoxicated
2nd March 2005, 05:30 PM
hm... I don't know.... it sounds harder, not better :? It's okay, but I would like to have the option to turn it off if I really don't like it when I play the game...

Colin? Do you know something about that?
That'll be tough **** then! You'll just have to find another game to play. :lol: :roll:

Sausehuhn
2nd March 2005, 05:37 PM
You're right fox.

Now the whole game is ruined. I will have to find another one. ;)

PURE ROCKS!! :rock_on

Sausehuhn
3rd March 2005, 04:22 PM
The second trailer is out now!

>>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeout/media.html

infoxicated
3rd March 2005, 04:40 PM
Gulp!

Nosecam footage.... 8O

Rapier Racer
3rd March 2005, 05:34 PM
Nice footage can that be downloaded from anywhere, I think the first trailer is better though, better music, clearer picture of the game.

Dimension
3rd March 2005, 07:58 PM
Hmm, the picture's all crappy in places, kind of offputting, music has something of Fat of the Land era Prodigy sound to it, nice flashiness in the video, probably too much if you're looking to watch the fottage properly, looks very cool though :D

yawnstretch
3rd March 2005, 08:39 PM
Somehow I missed two of the other videos and I only saw them when I went for the the second trailer (which has good music imo). I agree that the tralier is a bit clippy but the gameplay footage looks very sweet.

I've a feeling Im really going to enjoy this game. :dizzy

Ally Graham
3rd March 2005, 08:41 PM
The video seems to be a converted version, hence the less than par grapic visuals.

Perhaps there is the original video format out there somewhere!

AmishRobot
3rd March 2005, 10:45 PM
What a pixillated mess. Does Gamespot compress their videos with a hammer?

Asayyeah
3rd March 2005, 11:05 PM
the new ' hammer ' codec is ready to DL from Gamespot :lol:

Thruster2097
3rd March 2005, 11:06 PM
I get stuck with the damn streaming adverts!!!!!!! JUST GO AWAY!!!!!!!
anyway, upgrading to 1Mb soon so I can finally see these videos.

Anyway, seeing as sir foxicated was probably piloting at the time, it must have been set on phantom. Rapier at least. Either way, I'm not expecting a huge amount of detail, more like a huge streaky mass of blur.

/ thruster2097 - GoW!

Salt|Ultra
4th March 2005, 03:42 AM
What a pixillated mess. Does Gamespot compress their videos with a hammer?

No kidding... yikes that is horrible.

I'll wait for Ign to get it up. At least their free vids are clear, if small.

infoxicated
4th March 2005, 07:31 AM
Anyway, seeing as sir foxicated was probably piloting at the time, it must have been set on phantom. Rapier at least.
Hate to break it to you, but I've not actually played it at Phantom yet. Flash is nice and challenging and Rapier is more so. But Phantom is just a bit too ridiculous for me so far.

Sausehuhn
4th March 2005, 03:17 PM
:rock_on

>>> http://www.playstationportable.de/images/news/02-2005/wipe.jpg

Ally Graham
4th March 2005, 04:18 PM
NICE!!

I want one now :cry:

Salt|Ultra
4th March 2005, 06:29 PM

That double curly track in the sky looks super sweet. What is that in the lower left? A data screen for a track?

Sausehuhn
4th March 2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah, that could be the menue. 8O

Seek100
4th March 2005, 07:42 PM

That curly track looks like it'll be one mean sob on rapier and phantom.

P.S. seeing the first decent shot of the Feisar, my fears about the new euro-ship are alayed - the CGI on the box-art is kinda crummy - in design, the actual model is obviously very good but the design of the ingame version is much better.

Salt|Ultra
4th March 2005, 07:54 PM
Looking at that image again, there is one thing about Pure that is bugging me. I don't like the ontrack graphics for the boosters or the weapon pickups. A solid glowing thingy would look nicer than the current "cropped texture" look. But if that is the only thing I am unhappy with then there is no question this game will rock.

Sausehuhn
4th March 2005, 11:20 PM
Do you mean the speed and weapon pads? If you do so, I think the same way. They are not detailed enough, the ones of Fusion are better.
Also the colors are too bright, a darker blue for the speedpads and more colorful weapon pads would look much much better!

Seek100
4th March 2005, 11:30 PM
Do you mean the speed and weapon pads? If you do so, I think the same way. They are not detailed enough, the ones of Fusion are better.
Also the colors are too bright, a darker blue for the speedpads and more colorful weapon pads would look much much better!

For once I'll actually agree Fusion did something better, yes those pads look very odd and kinda crummy, even solid colours like wo/2097/w3o would be better.

Salt|Ultra
5th March 2005, 12:17 AM
Do you mean the speed and weapon pads? .......
......Also the colors are too bright, a darker blue for the speedpads and more colorful weapon pads would look much much better!

yup those are the ones. I'm hoping they are just placeholders, and that we will get a better graphic in the release version. I sort of like the bright colors so you can see them from a long distance.

TMoney
5th March 2005, 02:23 AM
This game is OOZING style!!! I'm pumped!

Ally Graham
5th March 2005, 02:26 PM
yup those are the ones. I'm hoping they are just placeholders, and that we will get a better graphic in the release version.

Lets hope so.

However, in the end, we will all still love this game.

Salt|Ultra
5th March 2005, 04:10 PM
ain't that the truth... :wink:

Chill
6th March 2005, 04:24 AM
I thought the same thing a long time ago!!! 8) But I didn't want to put anything about it down. However, it does seem more realistic, I mean, are lights in real life always gonna be that pright compared to everything else? I certainly hope not, or else we'd all get eye problems. :wink: Perhaps if we were given shades, but something about Fusion's pads suck in the surounding light, so that the surounding seem darker for some reason. Heck, I don't know!!!!! But they sure shouldn't have changed it.
btw, the trailor is awesome, but for better in game looks, it is better to watch trailor 1. They probably used it for backup so the production of 2 was posable. Just a thought. :wink:

Lance
6th March 2005, 01:40 PM
i kinda like the spotted look of the boost and weapons pads; but the simple cropping at the edges so that incomplete spots show just does not get it. the pattern of spots should be arranged so that there is a solid colour border around a grouping of spots that are all complete circles. it's too late now of course unless these are old pics and that has already been improved in the final version. anyway, the new look may represent an improved technology for weapons activation. nice to think so, anyway.

----------

:
btw, i hope that you misusers of the quote button appreciate that i make you look a lot smarter and less lazy by editing your posts. i'm getting a bit tired of doing that, though, so i would appreciate it if you would delete everything but the part of the quote that shows what particular thought you are replying to, and please do not quote a post if your reply comes immediately after it. [rhetorical question]: in real life conversations, do you quote a person's entire speech before you reply?] the only two valid reasons i can think of. in my present semi-awake condition, for quoting the immediately previous post are 1: the post is large and complex and you are replying only to a single part of it, in which case you should quote only that part or 2: your post will show up on the next forum page. that second one is a weaker reason than the first, but probably still valid because the quote would remind the reader of what went before without loading the previous page being needed in most cases.
i realise that there are some cases in which one can't just quote a small section of a post and have it be clear what you're replying to, in such cases one can write directly in your own words the idea or fact or whatever that you want to reply to; it's a bit of extra effort for the replyer, but it saves the readers, including oneself, from having to waste their time slogging through a mass of repetitive wordage that has nothing to do with your reply, and which has already been read before.

[b]infox, could we add something concerning quote button usage to the general forum guidelines? quotation has been abused more and more in recent weeks.
[end of rant and suggestions of quote techniques]

----------------

at the bottom of the photo that Sausehuhn posted the link to, there are two tracks that really seem special. i love the look of the racetrack in the sky, and the one that runs by the water. probably we would never see either of those views in the game, though. pity. are those renderings that might be made available to us fans after the game is released in all markets? or even before? ;)

Sausehuhn
6th March 2005, 01:53 PM
Maybe we will see them. Okay, not in the In-game, but maybe in the menue (like it was in Fusion, you see wonderful pics of the track when you choose them; I never get an extractor for these pics, I hate these .mem files :x ), or we will see such good pics in a Limited Edition (if there will be a one, and I hope so!!).
I like the Idea to have these pics a a desktop background or as a poster 8O

Sadly there aren't any high quality screenshots or artworks available yet. Maybe we will get some when the offical page is finished and online (you can get wallpapers at every offical WipEout site.)

Lance
6th March 2005, 05:34 PM
well, we did get some LUDICROUSly large and fine screenshots courtesy of infox and the Pure devs and perhaps management? but [understatement] more would not be unwelcome ;)

BenjaminBirdie
6th March 2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that could be the menue. 8O

I just noticed that myself. I was watching that 17 minute vid of PSP usage that's been making the round and, though he was playing Ridge Racers, my mind sort of boggled at the detail not only in the menus but even in the Save Icons (fully animated little frames). That shot of the menus pretty much confirmed my hopes that this bad boy will be a handheld design wonderland. I just love the looks of that menu. White, clean, pure. Honestly, out of all the launch games, this is the one that strikes me as the most consolian in terms of depth. Everything else seems like a sort of lesser version of a console game. WipEout Pure would make a perfect console game even if all you did was improve the graphics (and only slightly at that). I really can't believe I'll be able to carry a game of this caliber around in my coat pocket.

Salt|Ultra
6th March 2005, 08:42 PM
In the PSP version of Ridge Racers there is a pre race fly over of the highlights of the course, maybe we will see them in a fly-by before the race starts.

Piranha Advancements
7th March 2005, 12:40 PM
http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/682/682962/imgs_1.html

New images.HOPEFULLY new that is.

eLhabib
7th March 2005, 01:37 PM
woohoo!
the one showing the starting grid is SWEET! although I would have preferred them not to blow up the images to double size!

Sausehuhn
7th March 2005, 01:47 PM
Wow! It looks cool! :D

Rapier Racer
7th March 2005, 04:45 PM
ooo very cool looking images, I too like that start grid one

Dimension
7th March 2005, 07:44 PM
Wow, the Triakis is looking very cool, almost like a 3 pointed disk if you see what i'm getting at. And here I thought it would just be silver Auricom :)

Salt|Ultra
7th March 2005, 07:50 PM
Those are sweet. 8)

Does this mean we will get music from LFO?
http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/682/682962/img_2641653.html

gbit
8th March 2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/07/news_6119837.html

Leaked info from Japan:

2 new crafts, tracks and songs each month for the next six months. GS states that the total amount of data will be ~48MB.

This is going to be soooooo sweet.

yup.

Salt|Ultra
8th March 2005, 12:35 AM
That is a lot of support :)

6 months of new content is huge. I guess that means the anxious new game feeling won't fade for six months either.

I hope it is true, because that would be killer...

Dimension
8th March 2005, 12:49 AM
That's pretty chuffing good, 6 months of support is ver nice indeed, the purchase of a PSP is becoming more and more an easier decision with little scraps of info like that :)

Mano
8th March 2005, 02:08 AM
Really good, Pure is looking better every time theres an update, right now its looking wonderful.. my only complaint is the fact that its on a handheld, but hey maybe the game itself can make me change my mind about handhelds?.....hehehe all i know is that i really have to/ want to play it!

Chill
8th March 2005, 04:23 AM
http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/682/682962/imgs_1.html
Man!!! I love seeing the images so large, it feels much better when it looks as if you're closer and mabye (inside) the game. I wonder if the tunneling network could bring up a large screen on you computer when playing online or anything else. Mabye the tunneling could do the same for the PS2 (it should be compatible with the PS3). :?

And about the update, it's SWEET!!! It's gonna make a huge difference for me because, about the time I get a PSP and Wipeout Pure, all the stuff will already be their to download. It's gonna be a huge expansion for me, and a weak sibling ready for other to open up a can of whoop-ass on me!! :wink:

The Boye
8th March 2005, 11:12 AM
Bonus Wipeout tracks to fill Mem Sticks
by Tom Bramwell

Details of downloadable content for PlayStation Portable racer Wipeout Pure released by Sony this week suggest that it could well swallow up the entirety of the default 32MB Memory Stick peripheral used to store saved data.
Advertisement

According to reports from Japan, Sony plans to support Wipeout Pure with downloadable content for at least six months, releasing monthly updates containing roughly two new tracks, hovercraft and soundtrack songs. Sony's Liverpool studio has also indicated that new "skins" for the game's menu systems could be made available.

Although the hovercraft, music and skins will most likely only amount to a few kilobytes, new tracks will apparently weigh in at 4MB each - making for monthly updates that could fill a quarter of a 32MB Memory Stick in one go.

As a result, gamers will either have to buy addition or larger Memory Sticks for use with the PSP, or will have to transfer some of the old data to their PCs for backup purposes.

Sony has yet to indicate whether or not it will charge for additional downloadable content, as Microsoft and its partners sometimes have done for Xbox updates distributed through Live and Codemasters recently did for a PS2 update to its football management series.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58162

Now, don't get me wrong, if there is a chance of getting more for my money I'm always a happy bunny, but I'd hate to think that in this case we are being drip fed what we initially forked out for. As with Castle Wolfenstein on Xbox live, the downloadable content was actually on the disk and all that was downloaded was a file that unlocked what you already had sitting there since you bought it.

If this info turns out true we could be looking at a minimum of 64meg needed for all the downloadable tracks alone, the average mp3 file would also come in at 4meg (unless hidden on the UMD). That'll easily make purchasing a 128meg memory card a must have for the true WipEout PurE experience.

eLhabib
8th March 2005, 02:17 PM
well, since I am gonna get me a 512meg or even 1gig card anyway (for movies and stuff), this doesn't really bother me...

Chill
8th March 2005, 03:21 PM
If this info turns out true we could be looking at a minimum of 64meg needed for all the downloadable tracks alone, the average mp3 file would also come in at 4meg (unless hidden on the UMD). That'll easily make purchasing a 128meg memory card a must have for the true WipEout PurE experience.
Looks like those fancy smanchy memory card holders in the game's case may be a need-be in the future, eh? One memory card for each and every game? I'm gonna have to have the same number of 128-mb memory cards as the number of games (or at least half). :lol:

Salt|Ultra
8th March 2005, 04:06 PM
Most games will need much less less than 1MB to store their data. The main save file for Ridge Racers is ~200KB. Except for games that have downloadable content like Pure you could probably get by on the 32MB card and never need to buy another one (assuming you are just using it for games and don't plan to buy more than 20 games).

Sausehuhn
8th March 2005, 04:55 PM
Wow! 12 new tracks and crafts! 8O

48 MB is okay, it's not too much.

I can't wait to have this game! :P

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 05:39 PM
By the time PurE comes to the UK, does that mean that there will be 2 months content already to download?

Hybrid Divide
8th March 2005, 05:49 PM
Anybody else find it funny that this report is coming from Japan, when the game is clearly being developed in Europe? :lol:

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 06:04 PM
That is very strange, but perhaps as the PSP is only in Japan at the moment they felt they should announce the news IN Japan.

People forget that the WipEout series is from a UK company.

Deadly Diabetic
9th March 2005, 03:40 AM
Edit - Take a look at Wipeout Developers Interview 2 at exactly 1:27min. Is it just me, or can i see a "new maneouvre" here? It looks like counterbacking, but, it just struck me, that the craft glides sideways!! Watch it and tell me what you think.

Don't you love a reply a week after the fact ;)

Anyway, I was trying to get caught up on posts in this forum as well as news on other sites and I ran across this post from shem. What intrigues me is an interview posted at psxextreme in which Colin is quoted: "In addition to nitro boost, ships can now perform a side-shift maneuver (for more maneuverability and to bump opponents)..." So could this be the new maneuver that you are seeing in the video? Could Colin explain this manuver in greater detail?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

-DD

Sausehuhn
10th March 2005, 01:37 PM
New movies!!

>>> http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/vids_1.html

eLhabib
10th March 2005, 02:00 PM
good stuff! gotta love all the detail on and around the tracks! although the guy who's driving is a serious disgrace... :lol:

BenjaminBirdie
10th March 2005, 02:17 PM
I love that hop in the fourth video (you know, the one where you can actually see how tiny the system is, which is remarkable).

Really good looking stuff.

Also, I love the "countup" of how many seconds ahead you are. I can see that being quite a source of competitive pride.

Shem
10th March 2005, 04:51 PM
:?

With every single new video of Pure I get more and more confused. Confused about the flight engine - the ships stick to the track flat, i cannot see the bouncing....Furthermore I cannot see any effect of pitch control. The last video had shown that you can control the pitch indeed (the big jump, and the pitch-up), but does it have any effect on the flight? I'm getting worried. I assume that the twisted tracks, which have not much in common with previous PSX instalations (they are not flat anymore, but the tracks are angled sideways) are the reason for that flat-flight-engine. Can you remember Altima VII brigde section? The brigde had its angle, and it made the ship fly almost over the wall while the ship itself was set horizontally. It apparently was avoided in Pure, just by glueing the ships to the track, with the cost of losing the bouncyness, and pitch control. Why are taking the best from wipeout? I hope that mine assumptions are wrong, and the bouncyness is still there, it's not only me who wants it back. The same with pitch control which is essential to feel that you are flying, not driving a go-cart. I cannot wait until the game is released, so the pilots here tell all about the game, I cannot assume too much without playing the game and just by watching the videos over and over again. It would be unfair. But the fact remains - I'm getting worried about Pure.

P.S. - flying into a mine has some proper effect now.

Mobius
10th March 2005, 04:56 PM
The big round mine was the thunder bomb - i think
mines are triangular/pyramid spikes.

they both look impressive when you fly into them.

BenjaminBirdie
10th March 2005, 05:13 PM
I don't know, it seemed to me there was at least some small level of pitch control at a few moments, and it was clear that after the large jump in one video and that hop in another, that the nose of the ship had somehow lowered.

But it seems that even if this isn't a direct port of XL and 3 control wise, it is at least closer in spirit to them (bouncing, et al) than Fusion. If you're expecting some kind of heaven sent, perfect emulation of WipEout controls of yore, there's a good chance you'll be disappointed.

I'm more concerned by the doomsday tone that's been creeping into all the Pure discussion over the last few days. I'd have those kinds of worries if I didn't still play all four previous games several times a week. They're not going anywhere. Wipeout Pure isn't going to gobble up your copies of the first four games. It is a new game and, I'm sure, a new experience. If you want truly old school control schemes, play the truly old school games. They still exist.

All interviews with the development team have made it clear that they are using XL-era physics as their inspiration. I don't see how the potential for 24 new WIpeout tracks can have anyone in their right mind worried.

And all the reviews have said that the controls work quite well. It may not be exactly like the old days, but at least its functional, which is more than I can say for some other games that I heard were having massive problems with the analog nub.

Hybrid Divide
10th March 2005, 05:19 PM
BenjaminBirdie

That deserves some applause, especially about the "Doomsday vibe"!

This game is clearly going to be much better than Fusion, we need not worry about that.

I'm sure the game will be fine.

Mobius
10th March 2005, 05:20 PM
I just think the reviewer is cynical... where everyone has said this is going back to the old style they are taking it a bit too literally.

And i think personally IGN aren't as big fans as there are from other games mags such as PSW or gamesTM.

Dont worry - i think this will rock the earth off its foundations.

eLhabib
10th March 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm not worried about pure and the existance of the bounciness at all. listen, guys, everyone is saying it's going back to 2097, colin said bouncing will be there, so what are you worried about? don't try and judge the game by some short flicks where you see a severe spastic who has never even heard of wipeout scrape his wings off in the slowest possible speed class! this game is gonna kick serious butt, I absolutely trust the developers on that one, and you should too! remember, they love wipeout just as much as we do!
THE ONLY THING THAT WORRIES ME ABOUT PURE IS IT'S EUROPE RELEASE DATE!

Salt|Ultra
10th March 2005, 06:57 PM
This game is going to be fun, I have zero doubts about that. It may not be exactly what some people were expecting, but I think they have unrealistic expectations. BenjaminBirdie said it pretty well so I'll just say I agree with him fully.

JABBERJAW
10th March 2005, 09:12 PM
Shem is absolutely correct in worrying about the pitch. It did not look like much control in the air either, more like fusion. Sure the pitch can be moved, but doesn't do anywhere near the movement of wipeout,wipeoutxl,wipeout64 or wipeout3. I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation to freaking keep the pitch control the same as the old games. Most wipeout gamers complained about this in fusion so there is no excuse for it not to be fixed. Maybe it is correct, but by every video Iv'e seen, it is not. On a side note, why are the only videos that are shown of the slow speed!!? Show the fastest that it moves to get some hype going, not some crap mario cart speed(which is even too slow for vector)

infoxicated
10th March 2005, 10:12 PM
The short answer is that no, it's not identical to the kind of pitch control we had in Wipeout 3, et all. And, to be honest, it would be frickin' impossible to fly with the PSP's controls if it was identical - there's a great lack of precision using either steering input, and you Neg'ers are in for a hard time, I can tell you.

Pitching the nose up on a straight makes very little difference - I don't even remember if it slows you down like it should, but pushing it down definately results in a slight increase in speed.

It's mostly effective while coming up a climb or diving down a decent, where adjusting the pitch of the nose to suit the track will make you follow the undulations of the track better. It's also effective for correcting the angle of your ship when landing off of a large jump - it's very easy to mess up and land tail heavy or nose heavy, costing you speed and valuable energy. So adjusting the trim in the air to level out is essential.

Rapier Racer
10th March 2005, 10:14 PM
Oh dear thats bad news, I'd better get back to using the d-pad agian, quick!

zargz
10th March 2005, 10:15 PM
and who is driving the ships in the demos?
choose someone that can keep of the walls at least in vector! :lol:

just love the two_sec_infront thing! 8)

Thruster2097
10th March 2005, 10:25 PM
well, I can safetly say that I could pilot better than that..... Come on! I could see that mine from halfway down that straight! Awesome graphical detail. Looking very polished and clean, too. I bet that is the finished "alpha" version!

Axel
10th March 2005, 10:50 PM
I so do not want this to feel like fusion at all!! I truly hated that game. I think it's one of those things where you have to wait and see if the controls are good at all. I mean who knows, they could be fantastic! :P

Shem
10th March 2005, 11:13 PM
It's mostly effective while coming up a climb or diving down a decent, where adjusting the pitch of the nose to suit the track will make you follow the undulations of the track better. It's also effective for correcting the angle of your ship when landing off of a large jump - it's very easy to mess up and land tail heavy or nose heavy, costing you speed and valuable energy. So adjusting the trim in the air to level out is essential.

That use of pitch is the most obvious, that;s why it doesn't bother anyone. The use of pitch can be used to break new records, taking multiple turns flying over them in a way, it helps to avoid hitting the wall at high speed when the only option there is is to pitch up before the wall, and wall slide. That's why it's important, it gives much more opportunities to gain speed than just to pitch down, and gain little speed. This kind of pitch is not obvious right from the start, you can use it to master tracks, like Porto Kora for example. Pitching up the first zigzag turn allows you to glide through with no sweat at full speed. Same with Talon's Reach, where just a little more pitch and you don't have to worry about the right-left turns before the tunnel. I might call pitching very important for those who are willing to master the tracks by flying individually (which sticking to the track doesnt allow at all).

Dimension
11th March 2005, 12:25 AM
I personally don't want to talk on the pitch from what i've seen, the game looks very flat in vector, but it is vector after all so what does that change? I would rather hope that enough pitch is involved to, as shem says, cut over the bottoms of nasty corners, but I can also guess how hard that'll be with the downsized (it is smaller, right?) D-Pad. The real problem here is that It's a game on a new console, I don't know exactly how the console works or how it feels so i can't judge it fairly against other wipEouts until I see what it is honestly restrained to, as has been said, it's no good complaining until we get ahold of it ourselves (that is, the stateside squad get ahold of it and give us the rundown. And on that note, BTW, i'll be expecting an in depth analysis of the game within three hours of the release :P)

*edit* having said that bit aboutcutting over nasty corners I went back and noticed from the videos that a lot of the walls are not your typical slanted wipEout walls, they're just straight up and down around the track, I wonder what that will do to gameplay in Rapier/Phantom? :?

Lance
11th March 2005, 02:21 AM
infox wrote:
'' you Neg'ers are in for a hard time''
who you callin a neg'er, honky? ;)

i'm unplugging the neG for a bit just to see if i can drive digital anymore.
now where did i put that old MadCatz? O.O'

on off on off bleep

Mano
11th March 2005, 05:06 AM
...a lot of the walls are not your typical slanted wipEout walls, they're just straight up and down around the track, I wonder what that will do to gameplay in Rapier/Phantom? :?

Yes, i pointed that out a while ago, that usually in XL tracks, walls are around 45 degrees, not closer to 90 as seen on Pure´s stills and videos... but i doubt it makes any difference in gameplay physics due to the fact that mostly the edges of the craft (specially wings) are the ones that make contact with the walls, and in previous games the angle didnt lift the craft as logic would point out so the reaction should be similar, i just pointed that out as an aestethic issue.

Mobius
12th March 2005, 10:45 AM
NEW MOVIES!!!

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/vids_1.html

Sausehuhn
12th March 2005, 11:13 AM
:evil: This time you were faster!! Normally I post new Informations like movies!! *grrrrrr*

;)

Good find Mobius, thanks! :D

edit:

Wow! Sounds good! And it's faster this time!!!

zargz
12th March 2005, 11:14 AM
Did my eyes decive me or did the missile bounce from the wall and then hit the ship infront around the corner??! 8O
on the 2nd video ..

Ally Graham
12th March 2005, 12:15 PM
:cry: The game is looking better and better :cry:

Except I will be waiting untill Europe release, my choice really, but still :cry:

Dimension
12th March 2005, 02:17 PM
hey, that looks pretty decent, stil don't like the idea that these can't play wipeout for **** guys are using the Qirex, as it (a) suggests it's too easy to use and (b) involves me seeing a beautiful brick bullet getting its wings scraped off on every single corner of the track :( Oh well, hey I notice the big bomb that always throws you to the outside of the course doesn't do much to your shields btw, by the size of that bomb and the explosion i was thinking at least 50% shield energy loss, but it was all of a measley 10-15% 8O Must just be a very small bomb in a very big capsule heheh

Salt|Ultra
12th March 2005, 03:28 PM
That missile did bounce off the wall... Humm I suspect some sort of advanced technology ;)

zargz
12th March 2005, 03:32 PM
Man oh man! no more escaping missiles by hiding behind the bend! 8O

eLhabib
12th March 2005, 04:19 PM
still by laying mines thogh :D

Sausehuhn
12th March 2005, 04:32 PM
There's a bug shown in the demo disc movie. You can see trough the wall. It's at the 180° curve. And this will not be the only track where you can have this bug. It has something to do with the camera and the handling of the craft.

That's great :evil:

edit:
also the ship itself goes trough the wall. A bug from Fusion

G'Kyl
12th March 2005, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about bugs yet. I bet good money Colin and the rest are currently working their .. backs off to thoroughly test the game and remove any bugs they find.

Ben

Space Cowboy
12th March 2005, 05:15 PM
Lets just hope they havent taken the old fusion engine and just added a few bells.
It would break my heart to see the wipeout franchise go down the pan in such a way.

Asche XL
12th March 2005, 05:22 PM
Lets just hope they havent taken the old fusion engine and just added a few bells.
It would break my heart to see the wipeout franchise go down the pan in such a way.

Another fusion would be the nail in wo's coffin. The only thing I hope, is that the devlopers realize this is either going to make or break the series. If this is amazing, we can see a bright future for wo ahead, if it's fusion II, then we can kiss the franchise goodbye.

Space Cowboy
12th March 2005, 05:35 PM
*puts his hands together and cries out to the sky* - Please dont let it be fusion!, PLEASE!

Mano
12th March 2005, 05:35 PM
I think the game looks and sounds good, you must also take in consideration that videos and stills never do justice to actual games but even so the game looks really good - love the light reflections on the crafts!, the way the thrusters blast on every speed pad, the effects of the weapons etc.

Its the controls im a bit worried about but until i play the game i cant pass judgement on that, and im worrying about pitch control too...

Space Cowboy
12th March 2005, 05:39 PM
Yeah i think the 'feel' of the craft handling and general balancing of the game will prove to be either its crowning glory, or its doom.
From what i've seen so far from all the vids and pics, the ships appear to be handling like the old schools wo's, however i have noticed just a tiny, incy bit of fusion 'greasyness'. Overall though I dont think it will be worse than fusion, thats just not possible.

BenjaminBirdie
12th March 2005, 05:47 PM

Another fusion would be the nail in wo's coffin. The only thing I hope, is that the devlopers realize this is either going to make or break the series. If this is amazing, we can see a bright future for wo ahead, if it's fusion II, then we can kiss the franchise goodbye.

Well, refined controls didn't help the series much stateside (*cough*Wip3out*cough*), so if there are a few bugs in the game, or it doesn't play exactly like previous iterations, that will probably have little impact on the wiles of the general gaming public.

Also, as someone who just spent all last night finally unlocking Piranha in Fusion, I can say with confidence that on sight alone, Pure is handling nothing like Fusion as far as I can see. (And all I can see when I close my eyes is that beast of a thugged out Xios on Temtesh Bay 3. Agh, get out of my head.)

Thirdly, WipEout has always been a niche game. All of its fans will buy this game sight unseen, hell some of them are buying a PSP just for this game. (Yes, basically I'm paying $300 dollars for the new Wipeout.) The fact that it's the first game to feature downloadable content will also bring in some new players to the game and, despite some people's reservations, the game will still come out to glowing reviews (How many reviews of racing games have you read with the sentence "There are a few minor bugs, but nothing to detract from the overall sense of fun and speed." Yes, tons.)

It won't be the best selling game at launch, but it never really had a shot at that. It will definitely do extremely well, though and, like the first WipEout, be an excellent showcase of the potential for the system. For that alone, I'm sure Sony will bless us with a few more iterations. If not on PSP, perhaps a glorious WipEout Generations for PS3.

Mobius
12th March 2005, 06:23 PM
I cant see pure being like fusion at all.

i mean if there was a bad reception to fusion why would they use the same handling physics???

I don't think anyone is that stupid to do that.

Asche XL
12th March 2005, 06:29 PM
I cant see pure being like fusion at all.

i mean if there was a bad reception to fusion why would they use the same handling physics???

I don't think anyone is that stupid to do that.

Well, the pitch issue was a major part of what made XL so amazing, glidding around and "floating" over tracks and around turns. And it's pretty much been confirmed that the floating feal will not be as dramatic as in the past although there is minor pitch adjusting. In which, I have no idea why they wouldn't want to give you that ultimate "floaty" feeling again. But, we're beating these issues to death, no one's going to know for sure until one of us plays it. 24th can't come soon enough.

yawnstretch
12th March 2005, 06:41 PM
I'm glad that the handling seems to be less like fusion but Im worried about the bounciness - I'm gonna play some wipeout 2097 and some fusion to reassure myself because you cant tell from watching these videos.

Hopefully all will be well.

Please God. :!:

Sausehuhn
12th March 2005, 08:50 PM
I did not mean the handling - noooo! It will be W'O'' style!

I meant the thing with going and looking through the walls.

In Fusion you can go trough the wall (a little bit), and this trailer shows, that Pure will have the same problem.

When you fly with this old school handling, the camera view changes. So you can see through the wall. Do you understand what I mean?

yawnstretch
12th March 2005, 09:14 PM
I understand :) But Im talking about bounciness not going through walls - and for the record wipeout 1 and 2097 both did that too.

Ooh - I need some wo original right now 8O

Sausehuhn
12th March 2005, 09:28 PM
1. I never saw that, maybe because the camera view is another and
2. When WO1 and WO 2097/XL (and Fusion) also had this bug, WOP should not have it eighter! :roll:

Dimension
13th March 2005, 12:28 AM
hey uh, where have you seen flying through walls? I can't see anything like that in any of the gameplay videos :| Besides, it's kind of a feature, means tracks can have bastard corners from hell and if you're daring enough can let you try and fly through a little bit of them :)

Sausehuhn
13th March 2005, 10:06 AM
at this 360° curve a little bit of the ship goes through the wall, I would make a screenshot, but it doesn't work with Windows media player :?

zargz
13th March 2005, 10:13 AM
.. But, we're beating these issues to death.. yeh, we are >> time to take a deep breath?? http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/huh.gif

Angryman
13th March 2005, 03:29 PM
There's a bug shown in the demo disc movie. You can see trough the wall. It's at the 180° curve. And this will not be the only track where you can have this bug. It has something to do with the camera and the handling of the craft.

That's great :evil:

edit:
also the ship itself goes trough the wall. A bug from Fusion

I highly doubt that see thru wall or going thru walls is going to be an issue with Pure.
I think that was more of a rendering problem than an actual gameplay anoyance, this was and still is quite common with many games including GT3 and GT4.
Also, the Floatyness of the ship/s might seem lacking because they aren't showing races that are any faster than Vector.
If you play wipeout 1 - 3 you will notice that the floatyness of wipeout doesn't really come to life until you race in the 3rd fastest league and especially in Phantom.
I have high hopes for this game and I have faith that the team will not screw us over again like they did with Fusion. 8)

Deadly Diabetic
13th March 2005, 08:08 PM
This is a little off topic but was mentioned previously. Someone said that they were going to buy a 512 MS for movies, music, and such. So my question is: if you were going to convert a DVD movie to this Mp4 format that the PSP is going to support, how big do you think that would be? I know that there is variance because of movie lengths and whatnot but let's just assume that it is a standard 120 minute movie. I guess I want to know if a 512 should do or should I be looking to save for one of the uber-expensive 1 gig sticks.

Thanks!

-DD

yawnstretch
13th March 2005, 09:00 PM
I've a 512 and its great but a 1gb would be delicious. Fitting tv shows on at full quality is no problem but for an entire movie you'll have to increase compression sightly.

To be honest Im never in a situation where I have 2 hours uninterrupted time (unless im at home in which case I can use something other than the PSP) so tv shows & music is mostly what I put on the 512. Tv shows look fine and you can usually fit a few on with regular quality - with a DVD movie though like a sci-fi or a smooth drama you're gonna appreciate the highest quality so I dont usually increase the compression.

Moral of the story is that 512 will fit you a few fine tv shows, a regular quality movie, or an hour perfect dvd quality movie. I dont usually feel in the mood to start watching an entire movie nor would I have time when Im on public transport so on the rare occasion I bring a movie I bring it at full quality but only half the movie - watch the end when I've reached home.

I have Spiderman 2 and I have it running dvd quality on the PSP but I have it in two mp4s each about 430MB. Depending on how expensive the 1GB stick is I may get it too because it's just great to have the variety - especially seeing as how I've only had one game for 4 months 8O

Oh and one more thing. Memory stick duos that are 512mb? - They dont hold 512MB - mine is a Sandisk and it holds like 468MB - which is a scandal. So beware large memory card formats for ripping you off and confusing the customer with the packaging. The one I bought said nothing on the packaging about its actual memory storage as opposed to the implied storage.

Thruster2097
13th March 2005, 09:23 PM
Thats a shocking discovery! 8O
512MB cards only holding 468MB memory.... what a disgrace!

I am currently looking into memory sticks for the psp.... Is there any difference between a Memory Stick and a Memory Stick Duo? I have seen cameras come with just plain ol' sticks and I know the PSP value pack comes bundled with a Stick Duo.
Anyways, a good friend of mine (my lab manager, infact) has just got his MCP certificates and is setting up a small company, which can get massive discounts on memory and general PC bits. I am quizzing him on memory cards and sticks to see what prices he can do. I am after an overkill-esque 1GB stick for my psp, purely so I never have to buy another one again, ever!

Deadly Diabetic
13th March 2005, 09:49 PM
I knew about the 460 MB thing because of working with mass storage devices in the past. Stoarge dvice companies tend to rate things with two misleading factors:

1.) They often use 1000 bytes as a MB instead of the 1024 used by computer operating systems. Ofcourse this only leads to a 2.5% overhead.

2.) They report unformatted space. When the OS formats any piece of media it has to create a table so that it knows where to store and retrieve information. The actual overhead percentage shrinks as the size goes up but the difference becomes so apparent as you go up in size that it has only recently become a public issue.

For instance, a reported 256 MS Duo actually only holds around 220 (for a little under 15% overhead); whereas, a 512 MS Duo actually only holds around 460 (for a little over 10% overhead). On a 1 GB stick it becomes even more apparent because once again a gig in common terms is 1024 MB where to the manufacturer it is 1000 MB so the overhead percentage shoots up again. So I would expect to get between 930 - 940 MB on a 1 GB stick (although I haven't seen technical numbers on it).

Hopefully manufacturers will soon realize that consumers aren't IT workers and they should standardize their terms so people don't feel misled.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the movie thing. I have an eight hour flight down to BVI coming up this summer so that's the only time I can forsee needing/wanting to watch a full movie on my PSP.

-DD

Just found a place that confirmed 1GB Sticks actually have 940MB worth of room.

Deadly Diabetic
13th March 2005, 10:43 PM
Sorry to post twice in a row but I thought this might be worth it:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=82531

According to the site this is a 1GB MS Duo specifically designed for the PSP (in other words it has a translucent yellow case) but most importantly it is listed for only $67

Now this has to be a misprint because they've got the 512 sticks for the same price, but just in case they are willing to honor a misprinted price I thought I'd post it. Also notice that the site says it is on back-order but in actuality these haven't even shipped yet so they should be on pre-order not back order. Lastly, the product is listed as next day shipping absolutely free. Anyway, let's hope that we can take advantage of a typo.

-DD

Salt|Ultra
14th March 2005, 02:24 AM
Thruster2097, you want to make sure the stick you get is either a Memory Stick Duo or a Memory Stick Pro Duo , nothing else will work. The Duo sized cards are ~1/2 half the size of the non-Duo cards.

I have a 512MB card but I am lusting after a 1GB. 512MB is actually pretty decent if you are not going to try to store a ton of movies and music, but with a 1GB card costing less than 2 512s, I'd recommend getting one of those to start with.

Thruster2097
14th March 2005, 07:07 AM
Didnt realise they had different sizes. Saved me a lot of money! thanks.

Rapier Racer
14th March 2005, 08:10 AM
Hmm Amzon UK want £129.99 for a Sony 1 GB memory stick pro duo, they also want £211.06 for a 512mb one, someone care to explain?

By the way whats the cheapest price you have found these memory cards at? I've found a 1 gig one for £92.04, I don't know if thats good or bad.

BenjaminBirdie
14th March 2005, 10:24 AM
I just went through one of the Gamespot videos with that 180 degree turn and you an rest assured that when that Quirex hits the wall, there are sparks everywhere, and the only bugs, at least on that particular section of that particular track, are the ones in the windshield.

O, ye of little faith.

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 09:24 PM

That double curly track in the sky looks super sweet. What is that in the lower left? A data screen for a track?

That track design came about after a dream about scissors

infoxicated
14th March 2005, 09:26 PM
*ahem* yeah - the Scissor Sisters, no doubt. :)

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 09:31 PM
Now, don't get me wrong, if there is a chance of getting more for my money I'm always a happy bunny, but I'd hate to think that in this case we are being drip fed what we initially forked out for. As with Castle Wolfenstein on Xbox live, the downloadable content was actually on the disk and all that was downloaded was a file that unlocked what you already had sitting there since you bought it.

None of the downloadable content is on the UMD, this has been mentioned on some website reports but it is utter bullshit written by people without a clue

Some reports seem to think that small ship dload sizes mean the info is on the disk, which is nonsense, they obviously werent around in the days when you could get a whole game on a floppy. And they obviously have no concept of compression techniques.

Wiseman once said, Leaked info often contains half truths.

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 09:33 PM
*ahem* yeah - the Scissor Sisters, no doubt. :)

Can you believe Its my week off, and I have such an exciting life that already I am spending my Monday evening catching up on here (no offence people !)

Catch you later in the week for a pint no doubt chief :lol:

infoxicated
14th March 2005, 09:42 PM
Catch you later in the week for a pint no doubt chief :lol:
*shniff* I knew you wouldn't forget about your old pal Foxy. :)

Hey, I was planning on going back to the gym this week, you know - you'd better get me back down the pub before I have too many of those wild notions! ;)

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 10:01 PM
hehe I just saw your 'I miss you' post in the other thread too I am getting all emotional now.
So far I've spent my days off in bed - my back is knackered and I have to go to the doctors later in the week cos I think I might have a hernia, which is just fkin tremendous.

:( :( :(

I hope you are keeping everyone in check, let me know which day is a good pub day for you and the others and I'll hobble along.

edit by Lance: unnecessary quote of immediately previous post was removed

infoxicated
14th March 2005, 10:06 PM
****... that is grim - how did you manage that? Reaching for a pint? Stretching from the chair to the floor to pick up your laptop? ;)

Not entirely sure about the others, but any night is good for me - text me and I'll be there. :)

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 10:26 PM
I felt something 'go' at the end of january after playing football (which is when I hurt my back) however I forgot about it and it went. But the pain has come back two fold and I think the back pain and groin pain are connected. I checked some thing son the web and it could be anyone of several things, but a mild hernia is probably the most appealing.

I was supposed to go to the doctors today, but I spent the day in bed playing yu-gi-oh and pure, which is kind of sad really.

(I know its off topic but.... )

Thruster2097
14th March 2005, 10:40 PM
....spent the day in bed playing pure.

What you call bad days are my dreams! (well, minus the hernia, and the yugioh, and the bed..)
Damnit just give me pure!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

In a slightly unrelated topic, here's hoping you get well real quick!

Salt|Ultra
15th March 2005, 01:55 AM
That track design came about after a dream about scissors

Heh, I can really see that. Inspiration can be found in the strangest places.