PDA

View Full Version : Manor Top - I don't get it

Dimension
19th February 2005, 05:35 AM
K so i've spent about an hour or so playing Manor Top, Phantom, TT with a Qirex, (training on using the internal view,) but now i'm sitting here with a kind of foul taste in my mouth wondering why I still don't get the whole logic behind the track.

Lemme explain, it's a beautiful track for about 3/4 of its length, up until and after the consecutive 90 degree bends, but those same bends throw the whole flow of the track completely out of the window, it's just Airbrake right, Airbrake left, Airbrake right, Airbrake left, it just takes a huge chunk out of the middle of the track and turns it into flow lacking garbage. I've done tons of laps around the track tonight but i've yet to even once get through that complex without crashing, the bit leading away from it is especially nice and the flow just works perfectly up until that point on the next lap, but the way it chops it up just pisses me off no end, was the track meant to be impossible to master in anything other than an Assegai or Pirhana? Seriously, I just don't get why that bit's there, what hidden purpose it must hold to be in there. :bombhead :brickwall

Feel free to either explain for me or to call me nasty names, thankyou. :(

EDIT: OK, so i've just managed, for the first time to make it through those chicanes without a collision, quite possibly a miracle :?

EDIT 2: Another something I have noted, probably why it feels so out of place... In the rest of the course the only use you have for airbrakes is a little angle adjusting through the first few bends and a single 90 right angle at the end, the purpose of which is to slow you down so you can enter the pitlane. But with such sparing use of the airbrakes as in Manor Top, the problem corners are a huge turn around, it's the equivelant of what DJs are roasted for all the time, playing a set of one sound, changing it completely for a single track and then continuing where you left off, WTF is it there!? This is driving me nuts! :bombhead :bombhead :bombhead :bombhead :bombhead

Mobius
19th February 2005, 10:05 AM
Erm - mabey it was an idea they wanted to use but got a bit carried away.

And there is a new track in pure with a right angle turn like that - don't quote me on that but i think i saw that (and no, i'm not talking about the manortop re-make)

anyone noticed that aeroplane on the SE version (it is after the last turn in the right angle chicane, by on the straight next to the tower which looks like it is covered by giant trelis.

Dimension
19th February 2005, 04:53 PM
the plane's on W3O also Mobius. I dunno, I raced a bit longer last night but still never got the idea, I dunno, maybe I should race there more :?

fusionfrenzy
4th August 2005, 06:25 PM
Manor Top has to be the best track -imo- on any wipeout game post 2097. The 90 degree turns are satisfyingly difficult, (in the exact opposite way that Citia Nuova is agonisingly difficult on Pure) though I've trained up enough to pull through it with a G45 on phantom now 8) .

Dont diss the manor, man.

Lion
5th August 2005, 06:14 AM
I find that section of track really fun, I make it my own personal challenge to see how much I can cut all the corners, it's definitely one of the more fun tracks in the game :)

Jittery-Joe
9th September 2005, 05:14 PM
Manor Top has to be the best track -imo- on any wipeout game post 2097. The 90 degree turns are satisfyingly difficult, (in the exact opposite way that Citia Nuova is agonisingly difficult on Pure) though I've trained up enough to pull through it with a G45 on phantom now 8) .

Dont diss the manor, man.

Damn straight.

Daylight
22nd October 2005, 12:48 AM
It's a very nice track indeed. so many jumps and whatnot :D
P-Mar is cuter though

Oracol
15th September 2006, 11:09 AM
I'd definitely regard ManorTop as being the best track of any WipEout game I ever played - can't believe I've been beaten on all my times on it though!!!

Sausehuhn
15th September 2006, 01:32 PM
Citta Nuova's better.

:D

Zerow
15th September 2006, 10:48 PM
I love Manor Top. That section of left/right angle turns and the final corner can get on my nerves sometimes, but other than that, it's a masterpiece!

Chill
16th September 2006, 04:20 AM
Still my favorite track so far. ;)

lunar
16th September 2006, 12:12 PM
It is indeed a masterpiece. To make a musical comparison, W03 Manor Top is a masterpiece like Mozart`s 41st Symphony; Citta Nuova would sound like a load of toddlers throwing cutlery onto the kitchen floor, or, indeed, a fridge falling down the stairs. ;)

Asayyeah
16th September 2006, 12:27 PM
a fridge falling down the stairs
reminds me the wipeoutquote from the Wooksta :+

Lance
16th September 2006, 09:50 PM
One of my fave tracks is Mozart's number 40 in G minor.
Goes well with P-Mar Project. :D
or Prototype 4.

Zerow
16th September 2006, 10:59 PM
Strangely enough, I've been trying to imagine what Classical music would sound like if you listened to it while playing WipEout for a while.

Could be an interesting experiment for the next WipEout.

Chill
17th September 2006, 01:30 AM
Actually, I want to try that!!!! That sounds like a lot of fun, but I haven't even tried it yet!!!

Smoothly Does It
18th September 2006, 01:24 PM
I've only tried Wipeout with some more famous/modern classical pieces, Ride of the Valkyries, Thus Spoke Zarathustra etc. tends to work quite well, though not sure about mozart :blarg

Flying_Finn
10th February 2007, 02:46 PM
Manor Top is my favorite track. Everytime I play W3O I have to race Manor Top in Phantom-class with Assegai, and all my lap time records for Manor Top is also set by Assegai: 0:26.32 at Phantom-class.:)

Asayyeah
10th February 2007, 03:15 PM
Wellcome on board Flying Finn :)
with your very good 26.32 you would be N°12 for single race and N°13 for TT into our W3O ranking : you should register into the main page and then enter your whole records for W3O
Enjoy your stay there :beer