PDA

View Full Version : about the teams...

eLhabib
14th February 2005, 06:05 PM
so, by looking at the box art we can now say that 6 familiar teams (feisar, quirex, auricom, ag-sys, piranha, assegai) and two new teams (harimau and what appears to be something like triakis?) are definitely in the game. BUT, is that all of them? on some screenshots I have seen the name MEGA spelled out on a banner and even on a ship (the grey/white slick trimaran one). so whats that all about? is that yet another (maybe hidden) team?
also I have noticed that on all the screens the number of ships displayed on the position HUD is 8. So that would be one ship per team? would be kinda sad, I really liked having teams of two similar ships on the tracks!
If you're allowed to answer, please do so, colin! thx in advanve

Sausehuhn
14th February 2005, 06:37 PM
Thread "New Team confirmed"

After we get the cover of the game we know the teams as well. So:
Here are the teams and their ships:

I. Feisar:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/feisar.JPG

II. Auricom:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/auricom.JPG

III. Piranha.A:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/piranha.1.JPG

IV. Qirex:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/qirex.JPG

V. AG-5Y5TEMS:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/ag-5Y5.JPG

VI. Assegai:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/3.1.JPG

VII. Harimau:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/1.JPG

VIII. Triakis:
http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/2.1.JPG

---

I hope I'm right. The speculation is based on the logo colors and/or on the design of earlier ship designs of the old WipEout games.
If anybody think another way I would be pleased to change them. :D

That are the ships. "Mega (c)" is the motto of Triakis and "the future is euro" is the motto of Feisar.

Mobius
14th February 2005, 07:50 PM
That are the ships. "Mega (c)" is the motto of Triakis and "the future is euro" is the motto of Feisar.

You think Tony Blair is the head of fiesar? :o

Seek100
14th February 2005, 08:32 PM
Contrary to that scumbag's (Blair) opinion the future is euro 8)

I hope Feisar aren't as completely gimped as they were in Fusion, it was impossible to win anything in a Feisar until you upgrade it to look like a stupid snow-speeder thing :evil: some of my fastest WO1 times are in a Feisar (de la Renté) because all the ships were balanced properly, hopefully the same is true of the 8 teams in purE

BTW I dunno if this helps but the ship in the intro on wipeoutpure.com is very obviously the one you've got in the pics labelled as Harimau: http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/1.JPG see in the bottom left pic the boomerang rear hull with a single central engine and the arrowhead forward hull with a thin connection between the two parts.

Mobius
14th February 2005, 09:16 PM
could be ag-systems

eLhabib
14th February 2005, 09:21 PM
the ship in the intro is definitely ag-sys, you can make it out clearly by the square vents covering the turbines.

Seek100
14th February 2005, 09:43 PM
You guys are right, it is the AG-5Y5 ship dunno why I didn't recognise it before, the rear hull is a very different shape to the (possible) Harimau, I don't really like it much myself, doesn't really look anything like the AG-5Y5 style especially since the other teams are kind of returning to their classic shapes - especially Feisar and Auricom.

Chill
14th February 2005, 10:43 PM
I hope Feisar aren't as completely gimped as they were in Fusion, it was impossible to win anything in a Feisar until you upgrade it to look like a stupid snow-speeder thing :evil:
Um, I kinda liked all of the ship's designs after just before a full upgrade, and at full upgrades. It shows that looks don't matter as much as how well the craft flies. (I agree with you about the balancing effect though. :wink: )

zargz
15th February 2005, 06:24 AM
.. some of my fastest WO1 times are in a Feisar (de la Renté) wow! 8O Respect!

I hope Feisar aren't as completely gimped as they were in Fusion, it was impossible to win anything in a Feisar until .. Colin said somewhere that they'll stick to tradition and that we won't see feisar blasting round corners, or something similar .. :|

some of my fastest WO1 times are in a Feisar (de la Renté) because all the ships were balanced properly, hopefully the same is true of the 8 teams in purEI hope so too! 8)

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Seek100
16th February 2005, 11:04 PM
.. some of my fastest WO1 times are in a Feisar (de la Renté) wow! 8O Respect!

Meh, they're probably not all that fast compared to people here but there're no times for WO1 as I understand there'll be no extra boards added :( so I can't compare, but I can whup my bro who flies AG (Chang) so that's good enough for me. 8)

I hope Feisar aren't as completely gimped as they were in Fusion, it was impossible to win anything in a Feisar until .. Colin said somewhere that they'll stick to tradition and that we won't see feisar blasting round corners, or something similar .. :|

Yeah, obviously they'll be slower than most everyone else, they always have been. But in Fusion their 'speed' was a joke, and they had no good handling to make up for it: a Feisar in WO1/2097/W30
can be gotten round any course in the game without ever touching the airbrakes and fairly keep up with the competition in a race environment.

some of my fastest WO1 times are in a Feisar (de la Renté) because all the ships were balanced properly, hopefully the same is true of the 8 teams in purEI hope so too! 8)

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

It does sound like there is a return to form from the developers on purE, I recall Colin saying that they've ditched the 'heirarchy' of ships that was in Fusion - where Feisar, Van-Uber and G-Tech sucked something chronic while EGR, Xios and Piranha were practically unbeatable. That's a very bad idea in a racing game, especially one where the fans have got favourite teams they've been 'loyal' to for ten years or so (those poor AG-5Y5 fans had to go a whole game without being represented, not to mention Qirex)

Rapier Racer
16th February 2005, 11:18 PM
There's a thread with some Wipeout times

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1554

theres not very many but don't hesitate to add! it's great to see how bad I am at the original Wipeout :oops:

so they have ditched all Fusion ships, no chance of seeing van-uber on the download then but who cares cos AD are in there :D :D

Dimension
16th February 2005, 11:27 PM
I'm glad that Qirex are back in there, I would be gutted if I had to play a wipEout without the brick bullet 8O

Seek100
17th February 2005, 02:22 PM
I'm glad Qirex are back as they've always been the prototypical double-hulled ship, Auricom sort of are aswell but they've changed style a bit too much, everyone instantly recognises a Qirex, though is it just me or does the new Qirex in purE look like a very close rip-off of the Eldar Falcon grav-tank from Warhammer 40K painted purple? That's the impression I got.

Regarding the Fusion teams, most were just not-as-cool replacements of 2097/W30 teams, Van-Uber was the new Assegai - kinda quick but flies apart after 2 hits, Tigron was the new Qirex - the big heavy Russian brick, EGR I believe are closest to AG-5Y5 - red and white, oriental, fast with jumpy handling, G-Tech were the new Goteki-45. I don't think the developers are saying they'll never be back but purE has brought back 6 of the old teams from W3O and the two new teams look like the old teams anyway so it seems they've abandoned the Fusion style and teams for now at least.

I must admit to being intrigued by the design of Van-Uber (which translates as 'Of-Over' - great team name :roll:) in as much as it's an interesting arrangement of parts, a twin engine mount with the intakes located far in front of the main fuselage, the fuselage itself is much shorter than conventional WO craft and the stabilisers are mounted to the engines themselves like on the old WO1 CGI craft from the intros. Plus there's that additional wing between the engines which aside from providing support for the intakes could also function in a similar manner to the top wing on modern Mitsubishi Evos - they have adjustable top spoilers which alter the airflowover the wing. Not that much fun on a car but on an AG racer it could greatly improve/refine pitch control allowing sudden dives or climbing manoeuvres - in other words making it much easier for the VU craft to stay close to the track despite rapid changes in the track layout.

Sorry about the lengthy analysis of the Van-Uber ship but I tend to think that way about the ships' structures, I like things to have a function.

infoxicated
17th February 2005, 02:28 PM
Me too. :)

Rapier Racer
17th February 2005, 02:44 PM
Sorry about the lengthy analysis of the Van-Uber ship but I tend to think that way about the ships' structures, I like things to have a function.

I was wondering if you could give a detailed analysis of the G-Tech lol try and find its function apart from pissing pilots off

Chill
17th February 2005, 03:43 PM
Regarding the Fusion teams, most were just not-as-cool replacements of 2097/W30 teams, Van-Uber was the new Assegai...
...they have adjustable top spoilers which alter the airflowover the wing. Not that much fun on a car but on an AG racer it could greatly improve/refine pitch control allowing sudden dives or climbing manoeuvres - in other words making it much easier for the VU craft to stay close to the track despite rapid changes in the track layout.

^This is in which Wipeout?

There shouldn't of been any replacements, I mean, wasn't Fusion supposed to be a fusion of all Wipeouts? All the original AG-crafts bounced! I don't think they should have used flips and cork-screws, where neither of the older Wipeouts had any of that stuff. I basically don't think the creater had enough imagination (sorry). Every part of the tracks seem to come out of a part in the original game (which is understandable, it's fusion, right?) But everything that had changed seems for the worst: pitch control, off-road racing, track grapple, point of balance, fusion shoudn't of had a time, for it was a fusion of all. Methinks the changing of the time is what made it stink (sorry to the hard-core fusion type :wink: ).

Hellfire_WZ
17th February 2005, 04:16 PM
is it just me or does the new Qirex in purE look like a very close rip-off of the Eldar Falcon grav-tank from Warhammer 40K painted purple? That's the impression I got.

You have just given me a very good idea.... I've got a Falcon that could do with a new paint job! Let's see how similar they are when Pure is released, and I might try a little conversion. :D

Seek100
17th February 2005, 04:30 PM
^This is in which Wipeout?

Not quite sure what you mean there, I was talking about wipEoutFusion if that's what you mean.

There shouldn't of been any replacements, I mean, wasn't Fusion supposed to be a fusion of all Wipeouts? All the original AG-crafts bounced! I don't think they should have used flips and cork-screws, where neither of the older Wipeouts had any of that stuff. I basically don't think the creater had enough imagination (sorry). Every part of the tracks seem to come out of a part in the original game (which is understandable, it's fusion, right?) But everything that had changed seems for the worst: pitch control, off-road racing, track grapple, point of balance, fusion shoudn't of had a time, for it was a fusion of all. Methinks the changing of the time is what made it stink (sorry to the hard-core fusion type :wink: ).

I don't think you get the choice of name, they just chose it to avoid calling it wipE'out"4 or alternately naming it after the season which would have been wipE'out"2160 which would have been a much better name than Fusion anyway IMO. It wasn't meant to represent a literal fusion of elements from previous games, it was just a cool word they didn't really think too much about to tack on to the end of the name. At the time they apparently considered purE as an alternative name but it was rejected in favour of Fusion. Every wipE'out" has had a year they are set in, they're all part of an ingame timeline, WO1 was the 2052 season, 2097 is fairly self explanatory W3O was I think the 2127 season, Fusion the 2160 season and purE the 2197 season.

You have just given me a very good idea.... I've got a Falcon that could do with a new paint job! Let's see how similar they are when Pure is released, and I might try a little conversion.

Great idea dude, I used to play a bit of 40K but I'm a terrible tactician and would usually lose or make idiotic blunders, Eldar were always the canine's nuts though 8)

Rapier Racer
17th February 2005, 04:52 PM
I don't think they should have used flips and cork-screws, where neither of the older Wipeouts had any of that stuff.

Mega Mall has a corkscrew, or am I getting mixed up with another name for that big twisting bit

Hellfire_WZ
17th February 2005, 04:53 PM
Think Mandrashee, a horizontal corkscrew. Mega Mall was vertical. I think the point is there shouldn't be any upside-down parts of the track.

Seek100
17th February 2005, 05:30 PM
Yes, basically the corkscrew at Mega Mall being vertical you can go down it fairly easily in a conventional physics model but a horizontal corkscrew as used in Fusion where the road twists to be upside down, with a conventional physics engine you can't do, so they made up their own freaky laws of physics where they could make the tracks as pointlessly outrageous as possible to keep up with F-Zero.

Rapier Racer
17th February 2005, 06:11 PM
ah yes that corkscrew you'd expect a wipeout 3 ship to fall off there, I didn't appreciate that one much myself makes no sence anti-grav craft that stick on?