PDA

View Full Version : A quick start?

Frankie Lee
9th February 2005, 09:02 AM
Is there a way to get a boost from the starting line? I have a vague memory of there being someway to get off the block fast by pressing the excelerator at a particular point in the countdown, but was that just in the later games?

zargz
9th February 2005, 10:38 AM
a millisecond after the yellow light (one)! not a hundred of a sec but milli!!! :D

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Frankie Lee
9th February 2005, 11:06 AM
Cool, I'll be trying that tonight.

piranha wiper
9th February 2005, 12:25 PM
there are another 2 ways to do it,

1. wait until the anouncer says "1" and then hit the X button and it should get to the right place, but this is hard

2. find the "sweet spot" where the thrust bar has to be so u can get a turbo, its hard to do and maintain it in the near area so it is there for you when the race starts,

once you know exactly where it is, youre sorted, and i think the position changes slightly between venom and rapier, might need conformation for it though :wink:

G'Kyl
9th February 2005, 12:32 PM
The thrust bar needs to be at the same level for both Vector and Venom, but since Venom class ships take longer to charge their thrust, you need to hit the accel button earlier (or release it earlier if you first charge fully up and then release it at around the time the count says "3").

Rapier Racer
9th February 2005, 01:12 PM
It’s easier with a NeGcon, just press the button till the thrust goes up to the required area and hold it there, you'll have to apply more/less presure to the button to find the correct pressure if you have one that is

Frankie Lee
9th February 2005, 02:25 PM
Jesus, a Negcon! Is that the twisty controller that Namco made? Does that work well with Wipeout? Time to visit ebay again.

By the sounds of it, starting in WO seems to be similar to starting in GT, where you have to get the accelerator balanced between maximum ecceleration and tyre grip?

zargz
9th February 2005, 03:07 PM
no tyres here frankie-boy! :wink:
when the yellow light turns on the 'guy' does say One but it's harder to explane on what part of 'one' you have to press :D
wo1 is the hardest to get a boost/perfect start on of all wipEouts! 8O
coz you have to hit the second line (bar) from the right in the speedmeter and not the sapace betwwen 2 lines
--> we are talking about a pixle here! 8)

Frankie Lee
9th February 2005, 03:25 PM
Ha! Managed to get a Negcon for £5 including shipping. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Dimension
9th February 2005, 03:28 PM
:| it's just not fair, why couldn't I get one that easy when I was looking for one? :lol: Nicely done though Frankie Lee, they do say the NegCon's something special :wink:

G'Kyl
9th February 2005, 03:48 PM
Not special. "Essential" sounds more like it. :)

Dimension
9th February 2005, 05:21 PM
Yes "essential" is what they say, i've managed to do alright without one so far though :) Besides, having a neggy gives you even more to be ashamed about when arnaud and Al trounce you :lol:

lunar
9th February 2005, 05:54 PM
third is just the second placed loser, :wink: whatever controller you use. Get yourself a neg and I guarantee you will get the seconds you need on PK. This is a money back guarantee - if a neg doesn`t help I will reimburse what it cost you and take it off your hands too. *

*subject to original paid sum being no more than £5. All shipping costs to our office in Outer Mongolia to be paid by Dimension.

Lance
9th February 2005, 06:49 PM
Al and Arnaud have both been using the amazing neGcon for Wipeout for many years. thank goodness that Joel sent me one about a year ago; theyre fantastically good!

Dimension
9th February 2005, 07:05 PM
Well I might get ahold of a neggy one day but there's much to save my money for first i'm afraid, what with the PSP coming in the distant future, WO 2097 and SE to buy (because zargz and shem told me to), add to that that i'm in desperate need of a mic pre-amp, preferably within a cheap mixer. Oh and let's not forget my insatiable need to constantly buy new music, so much stuff to have, not enough money :(

woah, hang on a minute, what was this topic about again? :|

Edit: oh and lunar, that's first loser at mega mall lol :P

piranha wiper
9th February 2005, 07:35 PM
zargz wrote
we are talking about a pixle here

a pixel!? what, that is hard, so why's it like that then? :?

dimension wrote

WO 2097 and SE to buy (because zargz and shem told me to),

yeah i need to look for you sorry, i will have a look next friday when i get paid :oops:

Dimension
9th February 2005, 08:47 PM
Don't worry yourself over it Piranha wiper, I can wait, need some moneys first anyway :P

zargz
9th February 2005, 10:14 PM
zargz wrote
we are talking about a pixle here
a pixel!? what, that is hard, so why's it like that then? :? I dunno but I Love it!
both 2097 & 3/se are way too easy to get turbo start as on 1 you need real skills to pull it of! 8)
But I really like the start in fusion --> works like any motoGP, stockcar or F1 start! way cool!
I also noticed it's how the start is done in pure as well! :D

Rapier Racer
9th February 2005, 10:23 PM
What’s that, you mean the you must press x within a split second of the man saying go to get your boost, I got too used to the old ways of boosting starts and when I first started to play Fusion, I never got the boost and always got that other sound, the sound of a futuristic craft stalling, I like that way that sound has survived so long, will it be on Pure?

piranha wiper
9th February 2005, 11:07 PM
im not on a bout the same way fusion does the turbo start, its like w3o where the controler vibrates wen youre at the right place for the start, but its a smaller area on the original, and it doesnt vibrate,

Dimension
9th February 2005, 11:41 PM
I don't really see a reason to make the boost start hard to pull off, if you don't get it right, you're just going to restart anyway and pull it off next time! :)

lunar
9th February 2005, 11:59 PM
I don't really see a reason to make the boost start hard to pull off, if you don't get it right, you're just going to restart anyway and pull it off next time! :)

for tables warfare: agreed. You just learn the loop of button presses to restart. how many times have I done this at Sagarmatha in 2097? :evil: :? . One disadvantage of a neg: you don`t feel the rumble to tell you when the engine is ready to roar.

IMHO A turbo start should be fairly simple for experienced racers, but missable under extreme pressure in multiplayer/high pressure situations: a bit like field goals in Madden.

zargz
10th February 2005, 12:49 AM
agree! I hope it works like in real life when on the grid racers waiting but no one knows for how long
coz the light's are turned of with an interval ranging between about 3-5 sec and it's randomly choosed! 8O
Imagine that wait in a 8 multiplayer game! :D

lunar
10th February 2005, 12:58 AM
Imagine that wait in a 8 multiplayer game! :D

scary. 8)

Frankie Lee
10th February 2005, 08:36 AM
Well there's a few Negs for sale at the mo:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38615&item=8167901454&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Managed to get the boost last night, doesn't seem too hard, but time will tell. Finally got to the fourth track in the championship though. Didn't play it much but seems like a great track.

zargz
10th February 2005, 01:37 PM
Korodera! Gotta love it --> my favorite in wo1 and perhaps in all wipEouts! :mrgreen:

Chill
10th February 2005, 03:43 PM
I faintly remember (when I had Wipeout), that Korodera (or whatever you call it) was my favorite also. I also remembered that starting out with a boost wasn't to hard either (and I'm only remembering here). If Korodera was the one with orange skies and had much air pollution in process, then that was the one. :D To bad I don't own Wipeout anymore. :cry:

Dimension
10th February 2005, 04:21 PM
from what I remember of W'O" i hated that track (if that's the one in the industrial city, all polluted and that), lots of sharp, annoying corners and funny placed boost pads if I remember rightly :? While I couldn't win (ever, best I got was third) at silverstream, that was one of my favourites, the second track was really good too :)

Lance
10th February 2005, 05:18 PM
my copy of WO1 on the PC only worked for about 3 weeks, but i recall that Korodera was my favourite. er... that is if Korodera was the one that has that downhill zigzag that you drive down like it was a slalom on a ski slope and at the bottom you turned left, then straightened out and went over a jump, and still continued going down some more. that whole thing was a nifty section that felt very real. i think you approached the top of the downhill esses by turning right out of a long straight tunnel. very cool track. i think it was the second track in the game right after Altima VII, but i'm not sure at all

zargz
10th February 2005, 06:46 PM
then, dimension and lance, you are very lucky coz as far as I remember it's Terramax ->> 2nd track with the zigzag
http://www.gamewinners.com/Multi/WipeoutSol.htm
that is gonna be on pures classic league along with another favorite of mine ->> sagarmatha! :D

and Dimension!! you should be ashamed of your self :!:
if you clame to be a Qirex racer then you should Love Korodera coz it's in Mother Russia!!! :evil:

Mobius
10th February 2005, 06:52 PM
i liked korodera - it was the moody rollercoaster - but it was friggin hard

Lance
10th February 2005, 07:08 PM
i was thinking thatTerramax was sorta semi-deserty in places but not nearly as much of a desert as Arridos [dry dry dry. sand and rocks everywhere, sunny]. as i said, it only worked for 3 weeks and that was a long time ago. was Korodera the one that had a long um... right curve that ended in a jump where you land right on a split track?

Dimension
10th February 2005, 08:20 PM
yeah, thanks to zargz's oh so pleasant description, I can attest that I do indeed hate the feisar eating corners off korodera, I remember always doing the daft thing and launching a boost off the massive jump at Korodera:
*fwoosh!* MEGA WEEEEEEEE! *feisar lands nose first on track wall after a fifteen second flight while the pack pass you pulling faces from their cockpits* annoyed the hell out of me that did, (though it was fun) but I also remember this short straight with 3 turbo pads somewhere on it and a corner at the end that tightens like a duck's arse so trying to take it ends in you subsequently imbedding your ship 5 feet through the nearest wall. It was just full of crap corners like that, I even took to time trialing to learn the course and still sucked on that track! Korodera: mega ev0l! :evil:

piranha wiper
10th February 2005, 10:27 PM
was Korodera the one that had a long um... right curve that ended in a jump where you land right on a split track?

sounds like the one, korodera was the track the was a constant brown colour,

silverstream is the track were you need a quick start the most, or at least not to stall your craft at the start

Shem
10th February 2005, 10:40 PM
was Korodera the one that had a long um... right curve that ended in a jump where you land right on a split track?

sounds like the one, korodera was the track the was a constant brown colour,

silverstream is the track were you need a quick start the most, or at least not to stall your craft at the start

Come to think of it, it might as well be the 'canyon' track [Arridos IV] where you took a big one and landed right on a split of a track (or I haven't been eating magnesium for a loooong time thus my memory may suck ass big time). As far as I can remember (closing my eyes, visualising me flying Korodera>internal view.........okay, i remember!) you could take a really big jump at Koroderra (duh!), before the jump there was this very long tunnel, that was going slightly right and upward, then there was the jump itself, you flew between two power plant chimneys, you landed on a strip of a track turning left, the track narrowed itself, there were a lot of speed pads, but no track split, right turn, and some short tunnels, and a final stretch (i think). The vision is over, I'm off to track down some murder victims with my psychic powers....

Dimension
10th February 2005, 10:40 PM

odd that you would mention that, that was the only way I ever got into a qualifying slot and won the Venom league, interesting what you remember when someone mentions these things :D

G'Kyl
10th February 2005, 11:12 PM
PW: Hmmm, I finished Silverstream twice today and a quick start is not what you need in WipEout. If you manage to fly one perfect lap, you will almost certainly find yourself among the top three, quick start or not. After that keeping up a decent race saves you that gold medal. :)

Shem: Yep, what you describe is definitely Korodera. I loved that track the minute I started flying there. I don't know exactely why. Maybe it's because it's long, maybe it's because it's Russian (Qirex! :) ), or maybe it's got to do with several sequences of turns which challenge you but still let you pass through without losing any speed. Or maybe it is something completely different - or all of the above. ;) The only thing that could have been better about Korodera is the wuss wagon at the big jump. Speeding up the ramp and boosting your way into the sky - well, take a book with you, you're gonna need it.

zargz: Sag is going to be in Pure? If so, I wish they had chosen another one instead, because 3SE already had an updated version of the track, and I feel that at one point enough would have been enough. It's one of my favourites, too, but then there are five games with courses to make a potential reappearance.

Ben

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:06 AM
zargz wrote:
that is gonna be on pures classic league along with another favorite of mine ->> sagarmatha!
--
Wow! Pure has a classic league?!! I can't wait until that game and the PSP come out! :twisted: If I get good enough, I'm afraid I'll become addicted to beating everyone!
Oh, and silverstream wasn't to hard for me either. Just takes much practice. :wink:

piranha wiper
11th February 2005, 08:54 AM
gkyl wrote

PW: Hmmm, I finished Silverstream twice today and a quick start is not what you need in WipEout. If you manage to fly one perfect lap, you will almost certainly find yourself among the top three, quick start or not. After that keeping up a decent race saves you that gold medal. :)

i think i have put this the wrong way, i meant you dont HAVE to have one to become in the top 3, but it does help.. alot

Frankie Lee
11th February 2005, 08:56 AM
my copy of WO1 on the PC only worked for about 3 weeks, but i recall that Korodera was my favourite. er... that is if Korodera was the one that has that downhill zigzag that you drive down like it was a slalom on a ski slope and at the bottom you turned left, then straightened out and went over a jump, and still continued going down some more. that whole thing was a nifty section that felt very real. i think you approached the top of the downhill esses by turning right out of a long straight tunnel. very cool track. i think it was the second track in the game right after Altima VII, but i'm not sure at all

Think that's actually the second track "Karbonis". I have a vid of it if you want.

Lance
11th February 2005, 11:43 AM
Karbonis 5! yes, that was it. thanks, Frankie Lee.

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:16 PM
Was Karbonis the Arizona one? If someone has the game or the manuel or something, could they please direct us with name and location? :? That would be very kind. I just plainly forgot!! :oops:

zargz
11th February 2005, 05:20 PM
look for the link in my last post on this page!! duh! 8O
read all posts! :P

Chill
11th February 2005, 10:37 PM
Oh, that link didn't work for me last time I clicked it. Sorry for the waste of time and space. :oops:

Dimension
11th February 2005, 11:33 PM
That's perfectly alright iI expect Chill, this is a forum after all: they're meant to be full of crap :wink:

Chill
12th February 2005, 03:21 AM
I read that any posts with no reason what-so-ever will be deleted. Isn't that right? :?

Lance
12th February 2005, 03:33 AM
it depends on which moderators see it and how they are feeling about life in general at the time. we are not absolutely uniformly strict in applying rules, but like the monks of Lost Horizon's Shangri-La, are moderate even in our moderation

Chill
12th February 2005, 03:59 AM
All zone moderators, is this your job, or do you just have all the time. If it is, from what and how do you get paid, if you do, that is?

Edit: :oops: Sorry if this question sounded that way. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just wondering for ever now. :wink:

zargz
12th February 2005, 08:26 AM
they don't get payed and they do it on their own free time >> respect! 8)

Lance
12th February 2005, 03:39 PM
no we don't get paid. and come to think of it, i didn't even volunteer! :) however, i chose to accept the position.

now if we could wander eventually back to the topic?

lunar
14th May 2007, 11:55 PM
Ok Lance, just over two years later I`ll get this back on topic. ;)

I`ll explain my method of turbo starts which seems to be very effective compared to any other method I`ve tried. I could never get any regular success with feathering the thrust button, so I searched for another way to do it. This is not really "my" method, but Zargz and Piranha Wiper had it right on page one (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704&highlight=turbo+start) of this thread.

1. wait until the anouncer says "1" and then hit the X button and it should get to the right place, but this is hard

there`s a way to make this not so hard. :)

when the yellow light turns on the 'guy' does say One but it's harder to explane on what part of 'one' you have to press :D

My way of finding on "which part of one" you have to press is quite effective for me, and this method should work with any controller and any buttons. You are aiming to press thrust shortly after the yellow/orange/amber light comes on. If I try to do this visually it doesn`t work regularly enough, because it`s very hard to get the timing right this way. The key is to do this not with your eyes, but with your ears. It`s hard to explain..... when you hear the announcer say "three" begin a little countdown in your head, and also physically nod your head in time to the rhythm you will be making. (This is very amusing for people watching you. :redface:) Count like this: "three.... and.... two..... and ..... one(press thrust)... and.... GO!" Nod your head on the beats of the numbers and the offbeats (meaning the "ands") that you are counting. After a few tries you will start to identify a rhythm to the countdown, and find the point in that rhythm at which you should press thrust, which is at some point in the word "one". It`s not really on a beat, but by repeating it over and over again you can burn the timing into your brain. Counting the rhythm, and nodding your head if necessary, enables you to find the right part of "one" more easily. With this method you don`t even need to look at the screen to get the turbo start. Not looking at the screen can also help you get the difficult timing right.

I hope this makes some sort of sense, if not .... :paperbag . With this method I can get consistent turbo starts on the NTSC version, if I`m "in the zone". Someone with better timing skills could get 100%. On PAL it`s quite a lot harder, but the same method holds. Just on NTSC the point at which you press thrust is slightly later, which I think is because the countdown is slower. Also on NTSC there seems to be a wider margin of error. Even on PAL it`s possible to get Turbo starts consistently though.

If you realise you have pressed x too soon, you can always just release it for a millisecond, and sometimes you will still get the turbo start because you delayed the bar slightly.

This might not be the best for everyone, but for TTs I can`t say I get frustrated any more with trying to get turbo starts. I still miss them, and it still requires concentration, but WipEout has got a lot easier with this method.

here is a diagram of it, which I think is about right. X marks the spot.

three.....(and).....two.....(and).....one.....(and ).....GO
____________________________x______________

Task
15th May 2007, 12:34 AM
Fantastic! Just the kind of thing I've been looking for!
I have, on occassion, gotten into "da zone" and managed consistent turbostarts, but I keep falling out again. Mostly because I didn't really know what I was doing, it was just working. Reading this, I think I can get it repeatable.

Well described!

G'Kyl
15th May 2007, 05:50 AM
Great tutorial, lunar! :) I can imagine the new announcer in coming WipEout games... "And-get ready one, and-set your finger two, and-hit it! three" *g* And yes, that's the way I do starts as well. ;)

Ben

stin
15th May 2007, 07:28 AM
Interesting theory!, that means, I will have to turn the volume up a bit so I can here their voice cos I`m deaf and I will concentrate harder!

Ok, I will try later this afternoon or tomorrow.

stevie:)

RJ O'Connell
18th May 2007, 09:49 PM
Me and my right thumb thank you for all your hard work. :D

Medusa
26th May 2007, 05:10 PM
I tell you what, I am a visual person and cannot count and play wipeout simultaneously. With the "feathering thrust in third bar from right" method, I had about a 70-75% success rate I would guess. Thanks to Lunar bringing this thread up, I tried the counting method... :frown:too hard for me, I was getting it less than with the feathering.

So now I ignore the 3-2-1 count altogether and am having about a 95% or higher turbo start success rate:D 100% except when I am seriously tired (flippin' Karbonis...).

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE 3-2-1 at ALL for this to work. Instead watch the red light, with your thumb already on the thrust button (not pressed yet!) IMMEDIATELY after the yellow light comes on, hold down the thrust and you will find you get the turbo start every time (almost). Do not press thrust at the same time as the yellow comes on - wait until you ACTUALLY see it "glow" and then hammer down thrust. WHOOSH, away you go.

So you see Stin, your ears may not matter quite so much as you think;) more likely the eye-thumbtip coordination.

Lance
26th May 2007, 06:03 PM
So far I've had best success with analogue throttle button, and hold the end of the thrust bar hovering at the right spot. When my mind wanders, though, the thrust bar wanders too. Inability to sustain concentration is always my weak point. No, I don't think I have ADD.

stin
26th May 2007, 06:41 PM
Ok, I will try that way, cheers!

Asayyeah
26th May 2007, 07:56 PM
I am at 15% success :frown: using B button ( visual technique & ear technique ). Lunar's one is too hard for me for the reasons Isadora explained. I will certainly change for the I button and do what Lance mentionned.
The margin of perfect start on pal version is extremely hard to find

lunar
27th May 2007, 11:27 PM
Medusa - I couldn`t do the "wait for the orange light" method at all, which is how my "feel the rhythm" method happened. I used to play the piano, a bit, badly, but perhaps this helps. Arnaud, I think you`ll find the timing the more you play. Everyone has to find their own way perhaps, and all the possibilities are in this thread, I think.

stin
28th May 2007, 07:19 AM
Thanxs Medusa!, did help me alot but I`m gaining alot and broke more new records!