PDA

View Full Version : PSP...

stin
8th February 2005, 09:25 PM
Well this is a surprise for me cos I will be getting one, cool lover have ordered a brand new PSP! 8O today while I`m at my work, so it will come on the day released. :wink

But I`ve been thinking, are you getting one on the day PSP released?? or within a month??

please let us know where we stand cos as far as we know two guys have got it.

Are you getting one?

stevie: :D

PS I just cannie wait!

G'Kyl
8th February 2005, 10:06 PM
I think I will be getting one, but not on the release day. I'll probably wait how the prize is going to develop. I do want to play the new Wipeout (and several other games), but it should come at a reasonable prize (the machine, not Pure).

Ben

Rapier Racer
8th February 2005, 11:10 PM
I thiink you will be waiting a long time for that, see you on Wiipeout Pure online in 2006, I'm so sick of being ripped off here :(

lunar
9th February 2005, 12:17 AM
Well this is a surprise for me cos I will be getting one, cool lover have ordered a brand new PSP!

my "wife" is cool too, but she`s not quite that cool. :D

At least not in a wipeout way.

I really don`t know whether to get a PSP or not. I`ll wait and see if Pure is sufficiently game on, or not, before I decide. I just don`t know when I`d use a handheld system, in itself, and as such buying one seems excessive for me. Its just a pain in the a** that this game won`t be out on the PS2. If you could pump out the picture onto a big screen and plug in an external controller I would probably have been persuaded.

Maybe I`ll wait for the price to drop, too.

Chill
9th February 2005, 06:01 AM
I agree with Assegai Developments, and I just can't wait to get what looks like loads of fun and the first on online play!! It's gonna be awsome!! I'll get it around in the summer (after a graduate and get a job :cry: ). :D

Axel
9th February 2005, 11:48 AM
Yea looks like I'll be seeing you in 2006 as well. I'm not willing to pay £200 plus for a console when the Nintendo DS will be selling for around £100 here. This country rips us off with too much taxes.

Hellfire_WZ
9th February 2005, 12:24 PM
I'll be getting one at the end of April, when I get my loan. Whether it'll be an import or not remains to be seen, depends on how big a hole they're planning to rip in our wallets....

yawnstretch
9th February 2005, 12:28 PM
I'll be getting it as absolutely soon as it's available. If I could get it any earlier I'd pay more too :!:

Rapier Racer
9th February 2005, 12:58 PM
I'd import one if the price was too much but someone suggested that the European ones might be re-worked, not sure if I agree with that but if they are slightly better in some way..

stin
9th February 2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah the taxes are killing us bit by bit but it will be worth in the end!

Online in 2006? yeah just around the corner :wink: That`s ok for me cos I have a very busy social life so my time will just fly! 8) and I can believe it will be great fun to compete to each other in other contries and I`m looking forward to that.

Now it`s a start for us :rock_on

stevie :D

Axel
9th February 2005, 05:04 PM
Loan in April? Sounds like a student to me :P Yeah I have forgotten about that money, but I need it for the PC. One question, how does the online system work with the PSP? Because I'm planning to set up a wireless network in my house.

Mobius
10th February 2005, 02:03 PM
I'm jealous i dont have a psp or a girlfriend... :(

Chill
10th February 2005, 03:05 PM
Get this, I've never had a girlfriend, and I'm not overweight either! I've been Boxing for five years.
Hopefully this kind of luck won't happen the same for the PSP. Maybe I play to much Wipeout for a girlfriend. :wink:

Mobius
10th February 2005, 03:08 PM
-looks downwards-

nope im in shape - damn...the curse of wipeout :P

mabey if i spent more effort trying to get a girl than playing wipeout i might be gatting somewhere

Chill
10th February 2005, 03:15 PM
Talking about girls (a little off the subject):
--
I've daydreamed about taking a girl I've liked onto a craft and blowing her mind. I'd park the snazzy craft next to her house. She'd come out in aw as I'd step out.
--
Yeah, how can you go online with the PSP? Is it similar to the DS? :lol:

Mobius
10th February 2005, 03:45 PM
the psp can make a wifi network with other psp's @ close range. (no internat needed)

another way is you make a server via hotspots to make a LAN. still close range

one other is it uses INFRASTRUCTURE mode where you can play onyone in the world via hotspots or another internet connection - this should be up and running on launch day.

pure can only make LAN multiplayer... bamn i cant give al an ego trip (or vica verca most likely)

one other thing you might like to know is you can hack on to other peoples computer wifi connections with a psp...heh

my mate around the corner has wifi so i might be able to go round his for a big match :)

Chill
10th February 2005, 03:51 PM
So, about what range does the LAN connection have? Across the whole nation? I'd hate to be stuck staring into the computer waiting for someone to come along and play me. And 8 players in an LAN connection! How possible is that? :wink:

Mobius
10th February 2005, 04:22 PM
well funnily enough colin berry was talking about it ont he questions i want answered thread... have a look!

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:40 AM
Could you mabye point out where? :?

Mobius
11th February 2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1712

last page...

Chill
11th February 2005, 10:10 PM
The question was asked, but I see no numbers. I can't get on Wipeout Pure's dang site because my mom has adult lock on (and I'm 17, will turn 18 in June). This is rediculous!!!! :evil: I'll ask her when she gets home tonight. Still, does anyone know the range? :?

Salt|Ultra
13th February 2005, 10:46 PM
Greetings all.

WiFi range is pretty tricky to set a limit on because it depends on so many things. Like what is between you and the other PSP or your WiFi router/hotspot, and if there is anything nearby that would produce interference (like wireless phones or microwaves).

My PSP can pick up WiFi signals at about a range of 100-150m from my house, but I would say that if you figured on a 100m open air limit you would be about right. Indoor is very difficult to judge since it depends on what the building is made of and what it inside of it. In a normal house you should be fine around the house and in your front or back yard.

I'd hate to be stuck staring into the computer waiting for someone to come along and play me. Unfortunaltely since there is no internet based multiplayer in Pure (that we know of) if you use tunneling software to play over the internet you will be tied pretty closely to your computer until you begin the game. Then you can move anywhere with in your WiFi range

And 8 players in an LAN connection! How possible is that? :wink:
Very possible :D

Assuming you can get 8 people either in the same physical space or over the tunneling software (I am not sure if there is a limit on the number of players in a tunnel).

Lance
13th February 2005, 10:56 PM
hi Salt|Ultra, welcome to the forums.

100 meters, eh? seems a bit limiting.

could you please explain to my ignorant self what tunneling software is for and how it works?

Salt|Ultra
13th February 2005, 11:49 PM
Hi thanks, nice place you guys got here :)

I am not sure if 100m is the drop dead limit, it is as far as I can go.

As for tunneling software, I can try. :wink:

It seems to be a way to trick your PSP in to thinking it is within WiFi range of another PSP when in reality the signal is converted/intercepted by a piece of software and then carried over the internet. The software runs on your PC so that is why you would need to sit close to your computer to start a race, but there is no cable or other connection between you PSP and your computer (just the WiFi connection between your PSP and your router). All players in a tunneled match need to run the software (except for players that are within regular WiFi range, I think you can mix and match. I'm not sure :? ).

Rapier Racer
14th February 2005, 12:20 AM
This all sounds very complex, I'm not sure if anyone living in this area is a Wipeout fan so tunnelling if available it is, stupid Sony if only this were on the PS2, does anyone else feel like they owe us another console Wipeout since they messed up so bad?

Lance
14th February 2005, 12:23 AM
thanks Salt|Ultra. that's clear and quick. i understand. at least i understand everything but why it's called 'tunnelling' ;)

G'Kyl
14th February 2005, 12:35 AM
Assagai: Why do you say they messed us up? I think they did what they could considering. Let's just hope Pure is going to be a success so we get another PSP Wipeout. If that should happen, we can all scream very loud after online play for the sequel. :) And I don't think tunneling is difficult. You just need to run the software and be in touch with your computer. I think that's fine, should it ever work at all.

Lance: I understand that the "free" WiFi signal gets tunneled as soon as it enters wires connected to the internet.

Salt|Ultra: And a welcome from me as well. Have fun here (you will). :)

Ben

silaris
14th February 2005, 01:53 AM
I'll be getting Pure the second it's out, but since i'm on the second shipment of PSPs, i'll be digesting the manual pretty much and saying "this disc is so shiny and it's my first mini disc!" and most importantly, "It's Wipeout!" So no word on when the next shipment will be in for me, but I certainly look forward to it, I'll just have to play all the wipeout games I have till Pure is finally in my hands, sitting in the corner next to the power outlet hoping I won't drain all the electricity from the neighborhood.

Chill
14th February 2005, 04:19 AM
Salt|Ultra, Welcome!!! Yer, um, very smart with technology. What kind of class would you go to in college to learn all that stuff? I, in a dream, would love to help design a Wipeout game. I wouldn't care how much schooling I'd have to go through, Wipeout is so much fun for me!! And, tunnelling sounds very familiar. Do you know how long it has existed before they've actually used it for games?
--
Silaris, are you new. If you are, welcome to you too!!! If not, forget me. :D :wink:

Rapier Racer
14th February 2005, 11:21 AM
Assagai: Why do you say they messed us up? I think they did what they could considering.

uh, you say Fusion was the best they could do, I think they could have done a little better..

G'Kyl
14th February 2005, 11:54 AM
Oh, but I was thinking you referred to Pure, not Fusion. Sorry that. :)

Lance
14th February 2005, 06:09 PM
Silaris, :lol: , yeah, PSP is only a wild fantasy for me, so i'll be sitting next to that outlet in the other corner playing XL and 3. lucky they're still so great.

welcome to the WZ

Salt|Ultra
15th February 2005, 12:25 AM
Salt|Ultra, Welcome!!! Yer, um, very smart with technology. What kind of class would you go to in college to learn all that stuff? I, in a dream, would love to help design a Wipeout game. I wouldn't care how much schooling I'd have to go through, Wipeout is so much fun for me!! And, tunnelling sounds very familiar. Do you know how long it has existed before they've actually used it for games?

Wow :oops: Thanks!

For tunneling and the networking stuff, you wil need a good base of computer and information science classes. But if what you really want to do is work on the design of Wipeout or other videogames, then I think you would need good art and design classes, in addition to some multimedia and programming classes. I don't know much about what you would need really, but I'm sure someone here does or talk to a good advisor in college.

Tunneling has been around for a long time. It is a pretty generic term used to describe the process of taking data streams/network protocols and transporting them via a network they were not designed to run over. Also it is used to describe the process used by VPNs (VPN=Virtual Private Network). In a VPN your data is encrypted and converted for transport over a public network.

Chill
15th February 2005, 12:51 AM
Thanx a lot for the info!!! :wink: I'll certainly put it to use. And if I do make a Wipeout game, it's gonna be AWESOME!!!!!! :D :D That must be where I heard tunnelling, thanks again!! 8)

Lance
15th February 2005, 01:18 AM
thanks to Ben and Salt|Ultra for the tunneling info

stin
26th February 2005, 07:48 AM
I`m back after two bloody toture weeks!! :evil: cos my first shop which I`ve thought it was closed down so I decided to try another local shop and been there for nearly two weeks and done friggen nothing so I did took it away to another shop and done in two days!!! :x

Anyway back to the topic, I just bought a magazine called `Games` with PSP on Wpeout Pure in it and I will be getting on the day released :wink: :twisted:

Countdown begins.....Ooh yeAAH!!!

stevie :D

hoipexn
26th February 2005, 09:56 AM
Ha, I'm getting the PSP and WipeOut Pure on the European releasedate 15th of April :twisted:
Then I'll practice and get my mobilenet subscription so I can go to a hotspot and play Pure against gamers from other countries 8) (and win!)

zargz
26th February 2005, 09:59 AM
no internet multiplayer support on pure! :|

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Asayyeah
26th February 2005, 12:24 PM
yes it's a shame no internet support but i am sure that low costers like Ryan Air will make money with few of us :lol: : those like Pavel, Stevie & me who have already went abroad meeting&competing eachothers !! In few months When i move from Le Havre i hope my new location in France will be close to an airport with low costers :wink:

Lance
26th February 2005, 03:28 PM
where you're going, they probably won't even have heard of airplanes! ;)

Asayyeah
26th February 2005, 04:09 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ally Graham
26th February 2005, 04:15 PM
The European date is not confirmed as of yet, and has been said that they may launch only a few countries in April and others in June because of stock problems.

The UK is on that list for possible April.

By the way, this came from the head of Sony.

Hellfire_WZ
1st March 2005, 05:02 PM
Sorry to drag up an old topic (well, not too old) but this needs to be shared.

If anyone has a Computer Exchange near them, they're selling import PSP value packs off the shelf. Yep, no wait for import and delivery, you can walk out with a brand new Japanese PSP in your hands. That is, if you're willing to pay the low, low price of.....

wait for it.....

£315!!!

What the hell do they think they're playing at? I've never really liked CEX, but this takes the piss. Even after import costs, that's still horribly overpriced! This country had better not even THINK about selling the PSP anywhere near this! :evil:

Thruster2097
1st March 2005, 05:47 PM
Last I heard from the local game store for a psp release date was july-august.
And possibly a shift into early '06.

It either means that my local store have little to no idea what theyre talking about and it will be available mid april, or something has caused a horiffic delay.

Ally Graham
1st March 2005, 07:12 PM
I can not think of anything that waould cause a major delay like that!

I think we will be expecting it late April - early May.

Do we have any dates for PurE release?

Rapier Racer
1st March 2005, 07:44 PM
I can not think of anything that waould cause a major delay like that!

How about Japanese incompetence?? Sony has shown plenty of it recently, July? 2006? That’s not good enough someone needs to slap some sense into those morons, if the PSP is delayed here (beyond apr 29th) so will pure be, imports would definitely be on the cards if that were to happen

Thruster2097
1st March 2005, 08:21 PM
you never need to ask me twice...
I am hunting down the uk release date for myself, so far all I have got is "somewhere between march and april, possibly may" which isnt good enough.
I want a date.

:oops:
errr.... let me rephrase....
I want an exact time and day for the psp to be released.

The important thing is that no matter where I look, no-one is mentioning anything beyond june, thus proving the incompetence of the staff in my local store.
Damn, I really should apply for a job there and/or kick some sense into them!

stin
2nd March 2005, 04:50 PM
Now this is getting ridiculous over release dates! But I knew they were not making enough handheld consoles and they should have set the dates for us so we can enjoy for ourselves and PSP will become a best seller.

stevie :x

Ally Graham
2nd March 2005, 05:33 PM
And now they have upped the launch units to 1m for the US, so that leaves that already short demand even smaller.
This means that Europe really is 3rd place for Sony, giving all the stock they have to the US.

I say that they should share that out 3:1 with Europe, 750,000 for US, 250,000 for Europe.

Why have they not done this? Some excuse about Europe being harder to set up for due to the large number of languages.
I say that that excuse is a really, really bad one.

Salt|Ultra
2nd March 2005, 09:34 PM
Some excuse about Europe being harder to set up for due to the large number of languages.
I say that that excuse is a really, really bad one.

Huh is that really what they are saying? You would think they would be tripping over themselves to sell to you guys over there since you all ways end up paying more :?

Now I did hear one good piece of news, in that Sony was able to produce ~400,000 PSPs in Feb. Hopefully that means that they are going to have a large enough stockpile to launch in Europe soon.

yawnstretch
3rd March 2005, 07:43 AM
This place was in stock a few days ago and Id say they'll have them in another few days.

They're both good deals but that's a bit of a jump for the val pack. Seeing as how most people will buy a large memory stick anyway maybe the regular option is a good one.

Hybrid Divide
3rd March 2005, 07:55 AM
Lucky...

We here in the USA don't get a choice. All we get is the value pack...

Something I'm NOT happy about at the least...

The only thing REMOTELY worth it is the 32 MB Memory stick. But 32 megs is NOT ENOUGH SPACE!

xEik
3rd March 2005, 09:31 AM
I saw a PSP for the first time yesterday. It's smaller than I thought but since the screen takes almost all the space, it's kind of OK. My hands aren't really big. But ol' Thruster2097 may be in trouble if his hands are as big as he says. :D
Another thing I noticed is that the front looks like it gathers tons of fingerprints and dust due to being so shiny.

In the shop they told me probable release date is end of April, probably the value pack (which is said everywhere not to be so valuable) will be the only available option and probable price is around 250 €.

All in all, I'm not too happy with the European release plans: late, no options and more pricey.

Thruster2097
3rd March 2005, 11:07 AM
My problem is not essentially big hands, it's more of a over-rounded fingertip thing.
Ever seen the simpsons episode where homer mashes the telephone keypad and has to request a dialling wand? :lol:

I'm just a bit concerned that it might be too small and have a tendency to break under pressure.

Lance
3rd March 2005, 12:26 PM
hm.. yes, the well-known Wipeout Accelerator Crushgrip. i broke a MadCatz Dreamcast controller in a similar way while playing F355, but a PSP would be a lot harder to replace. a lot

G'Kyl
3rd March 2005, 12:42 PM
My worries get even worse when thinking about how I got used to teh neGcon... ;)
Seriously, though, I too have doubts about me being able to handle the PSP properly. The rather long distance between D-Pad and buttons gives an awkward feel to the entire thing, I'm afraid. I once held a GBA (first release), and THAT was strange. Now the PSP is even wider...?

Ben

Ally Graham
3rd March 2005, 06:29 PM
PSP Must HaveUK Gadget of 2005

Sony's Playstation Portable is the top UK gadget for 2005, according to a round-up of ultimate gizmos compiled by Stuff Magazine.

It beats the iPod into second place in the Top Ten Essentials list which predicts what gadget-lovers are likely to covet this year.

Owning all 10 gadgets will set the gadget lover back £7,455.

That is £1,000 cheaper than last year's list due to falling manufacturing costs making gadgets more affordable.

High street habits

Portable gadgets dominate the list, including Sharp's 902 3G mobile phone, the Pentax Optio SV digital camera and Samsung's Yepp YH-999 video jukebox.

TOP 10 GADGETS
Pentax Optio SV digital camera
Sony PSP
iPod Photo 60GB
Sharp 902 3G mobile phone
Pentax Optio SV digital camera
Sony VAIO VGN-T2 laptop
Samsung Yepp YH-999
Philips 32PF9986 Home Cinema
Pentax Optio MX4 tapeless camcorder
Blaupunkt Chicago IVDM-7002 satellite navigation
BT Aviator 10M DAB radio

"What this year's Essentials shows is that gadgets are now cheaper, sexier and more indispensable than ever. We've got to the point where we can't live our lives without certain technology," said Adam Vaughan, editor of Stuff Essentials.

The proliferation of gadgets in our homes is inexorably altering the role of the high street in our lives thinks Mr Vaughan.

"Take digital cameras, who would now pay to develop an entire film of photos? Or legitimate downloads, who would travel miles to a record shop when they could download the song in minutes for 70p?" he asks.

Next year will see a new set of technologies capturing the imaginations of gadget lovers, Stuff predicts.

The Xbox 2, high-definition TV and MP3 mobiles will be among the list of must-haves that will dominate 2006, it says.

The spring launch of the PSP in the UK is eagerly awaited by gaming fans.

uberweng
4th March 2005, 12:41 PM
I
Another thing I noticed is that the front looks like it gathers tons of fingerprints and dust due to being so shiny.

It is hard to describe the amount of fingerprints they pick up. I had to buy a cloth for cleaning glasses and carry it.

On the subject of the value pack, its not that bad. I use most of the stuff that came with it except the 32 meg stick. I reccomend buying a 512 meg one as soon as possible so you can have a decent amount of music and still have space for all the downloadable wipeout content they keep promising.

yawnstretch
4th March 2005, 02:32 PM
I bought a cleaning cloth too. It made it look all nice and sparkly

- but if you dont worry about fingerprints and keep using the case you'll notice something sort of useful... gradually it just loses the sheen (when you dont wipe it) and it has a sort of uniform dullness which makes it look not as sparkly for thieves.

So if you leave the polishing out for a week or so you'll see this and on special occasions you can buff it up to show off! ...Or maybe they just shouldn't have made it so damned shiny. 8O

Ally Graham
4th March 2005, 04:19 PM
Another Friday passes with no Europe PSP date :cry:

I can't decide if I want to risk getting a PSP now incase they decide to region lock the games.
PurE would be my number 1 game, so until then, I would not really be playing.
I don't know if the risk cons outweighs the pros.

zargz
4th March 2005, 06:18 PM
where did you read they were gonna region lock the psp or the games??! :?

JABBERJAW
4th March 2005, 06:21 PM
Xiek, that's 250 pounds! 500 $ holy smokes, I'm not even going to sell the two that I preordered for that much. 450 maybe. I need my widescreen tv.

Salt|Ultra
4th March 2005, 06:24 PM
Another Friday passes with no Europe PSP date :cry:

I can't decide if I want to risk getting a PSP now incase they decide to region lock the games.
PurE would be my number 1 game, so until then, I would not really be playing.
I don't know if the risk cons outweighs the pros.

Every time the region lock issue come up Sony has said that while they have the ability to do so, they have choosen not to. I hope this means that Sony has realized that region locks for a proprietary gaming format are meaningless and needlessly bother their customers..

But even if games are region free, they also pretty much state that all other UMD content (music, music videos and movies) will be region locked.

where did you read they were gonna region lock the psp or the games??! :?

Everything I have read says they are not going to region lock games.

Ally Graham
4th March 2005, 06:51 PM
I'm not just talking about the games, I am also talking about the the music and vids.

I was trying to decide if I should get one, and then just sell it when the Europe PSP arrives.

Also, as I said, I won't be able to play PurE until the Europe release, so I will be sad.

EDIT: another problem is that my Debit card is not accepted many places, so have no real way of paying

EDIT 2: The problem with selling a Jap or USA PSP at the europe launch is that I am not that sure if anyone would want a non-europe console if Europe ones are being sold.

zargz
4th March 2005, 06:54 PM
well I haven't seen anywhere anything said about regional locking. That's why I was asking if you read it somewhere and if so where?
or is it just somthing you fear will happen?

Ally Graham
4th March 2005, 06:57 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=113191

Tuesday 14th December 2004
PSP REGION LOCKED?

Um, no. Allay those lock out fears once and for all

12:29 After PSP's launch in Japan on Sunday we noticed loads of websites and blogs light up like dried-out dog turd with the shock news that the system might be region-encoded after all.

The rumours started after photographs of an icon on the back of the PSP's packaging circulated on the net. It looked as if the icon indicated that the system was specific to a particular region, much like the region symbols you see on DVDs.

Don't worry. Just like Sony told us months ago, the PSP is region free - as long as you're playing games. The icon does indeed specify a particular region, but only for music and movie playback via UMDs.

Just to make sure we contacted Sony directly and a spokesperson told us, "All games should be playable on other [region's] systems, bearing in mind there may be different languages depending on the [origin of the] game.

Phew.

zargz
4th March 2005, 07:15 PM
o'right! but as long as i get the tracks and crafts ok i dont mind the music > the tunes already in the game should be enough for me! ;)

Salt|Ultra
4th March 2005, 07:47 PM
I'm not just talking about the games, I am also talking about the the music and vids.

I was trying to decide if I should get one, and then just sell it when the Europe PSP arrives.

Also, as I said, I won't be able to play PurE until the Europe release, so I will be sad.

EDIT: another problem is that my Debit card is not accepted many places, so have no real way of paying

EDIT 2: The problem with selling a Jap or USA PSP at the europe launch is that I am not that sure if anyone would want a non-europe console if Europe ones are being sold.

I'm sure you could get most of your money back on an imported PSP, but the loss might not be worth it if the EU/UK launch is April 15th

well I haven't seen anywhere anything said about regional locking. That's why I was asking if you read it somewhere and if so where?
or is it just somthing you fear will happen?

Here are my sources.

Q: Will the PSP be a region-free device?

A: Reports from Sony claim that games, at least, will be region-free. So in theory, you could buy a Japanese PSP and play US releases on it. Video (and probably audio) discs, however, will be region-locked. The trouble with region encoding is that you never really know how it's going to work out until the system is out in at least two territories. Reports so far give it the green light, but we can't be 100 percent sure until we see US games running on a Japanese PSP for ourselves.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/12/news_6114909.html

GS: Why did you choose to make the system region-free for games?

MS: Technically, the PSP does have a region mechanism in it, but, for now we decided to have all region discs work on all systems. This is because people who travel around the world may want to pick up games in different territories. However, each game will only be tested for that specific region and the hardware available in that market, so, technically, not every game may work.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-11721-1346-x-x-x%20&body_pagenum=2

"...Region coding is possible for game software, but thus far, no games released in Japan have been coded. It is currently thought unlikely that U.S. games will be coded--according to the spokesperson, all the U.S. games shown at the recent Consumer Electronics Show were running on Japanese PSPs."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137903

"For games on PSP there is no region code. However, due to language and system issues, quality assurance procedures are done in each territory. Therefore, we recommend purchasing both the hardware and corresponding software in the same market/territory."

http://psp.ign.com/articles/561/561098p1.html

infoxicated
4th March 2005, 08:16 PM
I would strongly recommend that European people wait for the European release of the game rather than importing the US version.

Trust me on this one.

Foxy knows best.

Thruster2097
4th March 2005, 09:44 PM
Uncle foxy has never let me down yet....

/doing as I am told
//as usual

Salt|Ultra
4th March 2005, 10:07 PM
I would strongly recommend that European people wait for the European release of the game rather than importing the US version.

Trust me on this one.

Foxy knows best.

That is all fine and dandy but what about us poor US people? We like goodies too you know :? Are you saying we should wait as well? :wink:

infoxicated
4th March 2005, 10:25 PM
No.

I am saying that you should buy the game in the region you live.

Salt|Ultra
4th March 2005, 10:33 PM
Understood, Thanks. :)

zargz
5th March 2005, 12:29 AM
Yeh, that makes sence!
Cheers infox! 8)

yawnstretch
5th March 2005, 01:41 AM
Godammnit - I've already bought a US wipeout - what the hell's wrong with it?
Colin said I'd be able to play it fine on my jap psp - PLEASE do not say I cant play multiplayer with someone who has a euro game because that would SUCK ASS. :evil:

Asche XL
5th March 2005, 02:00 AM
Colin said I'd be able to play it fine on my jap psp - PLEASE do not say I cant play multiplayer with someone who has a euro game because that would SUCK ASS. :evil:

It was said many times in the this thread that:

A) The games are region free and (most likely) will contiune to be region free for the rest of psp's career.

B) All other content (music, movies etc) ARE recgion encoded, so, there's something to think about it.

Salt|Ultra
5th March 2005, 07:01 AM

I would hope that there would be no multiplayer limitation between regions, but that is one of the things Sony has said might be a possibility.

"Multiplayer is another issue to consider -- games from different regions have modified code and other changes that would make them incompatible for multiplayer sessions..."
http://psp.ign.com/articles/561/561098p1.html

I think they left out the word "could" in the above quote. At least I really, really hope they left out the word "could". I would guess that there would not be as much difference between a US and a EU/UK version as between a US and a JPN version. So this might not even apply to Pure at all.

Ally Graham
5th March 2005, 07:17 AM
The dabate for me still makes me want to wait for the euro release of the console.

I don't want the hassle at trying to sell an import PSP when Europe comes round.

I think I enjoy the wait,
But I hate Europe being made to feel 3rd place and being given bad excuses.

"(Europe) is a tough market because of the language issue. The U.S. tends to be the easier target because you don't have to put so much effort into it to get a better return."

WE WANT SOLID DATES NOT (insert explitive) EXCUSES!!!

Salt|Ultra
5th March 2005, 04:14 PM
IGN is reporting that they have a retail copy of a US UMD and it plays just fine on their Japanese PSP. The region coding worries are put mostly to bed. The only small thing I would be a bit concerned about is that it is possible that some game in the future will be region coded, but at least now we can be pretty sure that will be the exception not the norm.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/593/593861p1.html

On the issue of inter-region multiplayer the news is not good. In the same article near teh bottom we find this...

"Importers should be aware that, as with any other game system, you should not expect import and domestic versions of games to link multiplayer together -- the systems should connect just fine, but because the US and JPN editions have a different code base because of all the language and tweaks and other edits that go on when localizing a title, the two versions are technically two different games. (We have already tested the US and Japanese editions of Lumines, and unfortunately, they won't link together..."

Looks like bad news, If you pre-ordered a US copy of Pure, I'd look in to getting your deposit or pre-pay refunded.

Sorry Ally this doen't really help you with you debate. It would be so much easier to make the decision if you had a solid release date. Sony seems to announce a month or so in advance, so maybe we will hear somethign middle of this month?

Ally Graham
5th March 2005, 04:19 PM
Lets hope so.

This is not really a debate, in the end the facts speek for themselves, just that we don't know about the future, and I don't want to spend alot of money only to find it does not do what it says.
I would be much happier waiting for the Eurpoe release.

The Boye
5th March 2005, 06:02 PM

At least you can play it at the end of this month and not have to wait to what will end up the end of the year for any multiplayer shenanigans with the Euro release.

Salt|Ultra
5th March 2005, 06:25 PM
The end of the year? How do you figure that?

The PSP will launch in the UK/EU by June at the latest (my money right now is on sometime in late April to mid May). Ninthendo is going to lauch the DS with 650,000 units in the EU and UK, just last month Sony made ~400,000 PSPs and more the 50% of those are sitting in storage somewhere (most likely for the US launch). It is not unrealistic to think that the surplus units from the March and April production runs (some 450,000+ units) would be slated for a May launch in Europe.

Mobius
5th March 2005, 06:44 PM
Wahey! - more time to get some mon£y together :)

I don't know when im gonna get one - i dont have job (being 15 not many places will give you one) and i only have enough money to get the console. :(

Happy to sad in 32 words...thats a record! :)

The Boye
5th March 2005, 07:17 PM
The end of the year? How do you figure that?

The PSP will launch in the UK/EU by June at the latest (my money right now is on sometime in late April to mid May). Ninthendo is going to lauch the DS with 650,000 units in the EU and UK, just last month Sony made ~400,000 PSPs and more the 50% of those are sitting in storage somewhere (most likely for the US launch). It is not unrealistic to think that the surplus units from the March and April production runs (some 450,000+ units) would be slated for a May launch in Europe.

Time will tell...

Mobius
5th March 2005, 07:47 PM
Yeh, any more delays and Pure might be coincide with the first anti-gravity racing season...

Hellfire_WZ
5th March 2005, 08:37 PM
It'd just be nice to have some sort of solid indication of a release, even if it's only to the nearest month. I don't know what's more annoying: having a set release date put back to another set release date with at least something to look forward to, or leaving us completely in the dark while the US and Japan already have their units. Just SOME sort of official statement from Sony would be enough to calm a lot of people down.

Thruster2097
6th March 2005, 02:20 AM
From a consumer point of view, that it is an insult when we are the last in the world to get the new technologies, and we have to pay extortionate amounts to get it! However I do like the fact that it has been trialled everywhere else first, so our product should theoretically be perfect, but as the roll-out of the PSP is showing faults (dead pixels, button misallignment) it angers me that no preventitive actions (redesign) are even being considered as viable options. Surely, these are recognised faults which demand attention!! :evil:

From a WipEout fan point of view, however.... I am overjoyed that I can play the next installment of the best and most influential game ever. And plus it gives me a new toy to play with.

I have got some money set aside for a PSP now, I just need to know HOW MUCH and WHEN. And I dont feel as though I am being too demanding about it, either, since we should already have both of these confirmed for the UK/EUR territories.

Salt|Ultra
6th March 2005, 04:05 AM
Dead pixels are not a fault which be be corrected with a redesign, the most glaring button problem was dealt with very early on in the production cycle (but there really is no excuse for it not being caught before a single PSP left the factory). As for the slight displacement of the square button contact, I can not understand why they didn't just increase the length of the PSP by 2 milimeters, but at least on mine it seems to work fine (hopefully this is the rule for all other PSPs).

I do agree fully with you that it seems like you guys are getting the dirty end of the stick. A launch date and a price announcement seems like the easiest thing for Sony to give you. I really don't get EU/UK pricing at all, it just seems greedy to me and senseless.

Lance
6th March 2005, 12:35 PM
i thought that a major part of the high price in the UK was due to stunning taxation rates; is that true? and what does the gov do with all that money?

Thruster2097
6th March 2005, 01:53 PM
okay, I guess youre right about dead pixels not being a design problem. However, I have spent too many years working in quality control laboratories, and although it is impossible to check every single screen that is fitted, it is tarnishing sony's glowing reputation.

As for our taxes, I am hoping and praying that we get a president soon. This royal family stuff with their governments, ministers and way too many political parties. It is beyond a joke. So much so that it's not funny anymore. Every year our taxes have gone up. That wouldnt be a bad thing if I was seeing improvements in my neighbourhood, but I'm not.
I could rant for days about this, and in explicit detail. But I dont feel like depressing myself today. It's a Sunday!!

Salt|Ultra
6th March 2005, 04:10 PM
I think the best way that Sony can deal with this dead pixel issue is to have a cast iron replacement policy and spell it out very clearly to consumers. Let people know that it is a normal fault with LCDs and then tell them the number of dead pixels that will trigger a replacement. A big part of the problem is that the average consumer expects things to be perfect and does not wan tto pay what perfect costs.

Politics is depressing, and having a president isn't all flowers and candies either....

Mobius
6th March 2005, 06:39 PM
All i can think of when I hear about Bush is "I can push the button, i can push the button..." Anyway as much as taxes suck big time in this country i am gonnasay this.

even tho sony's quality control has hit the floor faster than a chav at a wedding reception who had 20 pints of carling and been caught shagging the bride the fault rate ratio is about the same as the iPods but i dont here anyone moaning about that.

i just hope my psp (when i manage to cough up the dough to get one) will not have any coz my ps2 is riddled with faults.

lunar
6th March 2005, 07:32 PM
I think the best way that Sony can deal with this dead pixel issue is to have a cast iron replacement policy and spell it out very clearly to consumers.

I agree. Any faults = unit replaced.

and then tell them the number of dead pixels that will trigger a replacement.

As far as I am concerned that number is 1. If I had a dead pixel I wouldn`t really give a toss what Sony think about it.

A big part of the problem is that the average consumer expects things to be perfect and does not want to pay what perfect costs...

Or is it that corporations don`t want to lose the profit that they would need to lose in order to have a more reliable product? Consumers just want a product that does what it says on the box without it breaking down or being faulty. That`s not unreasonable.

If it says on the box: "Sony PSP. May have broken pixels or dodgy buttons. Caveat emptor" then they might have an argument not to fix faulty units. It also might hurt their sales. Sure they can release a product with percentage of faulty units - they just can`t expect consumers to pick up the cost, and I`m sure, in the UK at least, they won`t.

Thruster2097
6th March 2005, 08:04 PM
[quote="Mobius"] the fault rate ratio is about the same as the iPods but i dont here anyone moaning about that.[quote]
Probably because no-one in their correct state of mind will buy an iPod! Only suitable for presents to people you really hate.

:lunar
could not agree with you more if I tried.
so I am not gonna try
:P

Salt|Ultra
6th March 2005, 08:34 PM
It is not unreasonable to want a working product, but LCD defects are not a sign of a non-functional product. It is unfortunately a fact of the technology that there is the possibility for dead pixels to occur. Look I'm not here to, nor do I want to defend some of the policies I have seen regarding dead pixels, but it would increase prices hugely if every single PSP LCD was 100% defect free (it is probably pretty close to 95-97% of PSPs are dead pixel free). There just simply aren't 100% defect free LCDs at a reasonable cost.

I have heard that the offical Sony policy is to replace the PSP if it has 3 dead pixels (a defect rate of 1 in 43,520 pixels), but I have not seen this in writting from Sony. That is what I want to see, let us (the customers) know exactly what the limit is. Then replace our units with out hassle if they are defective.

Yes I would much rather that the limit was one dead pixel, and I am in no way trying to argue that anything other than that would be ok. It is just that I think some people have unrealistic expectations about the limits of our technology or the costs associated with cherry picking defect free units. That is why I want a defect policy spelled out so that I can decide if it is a good gamble for me or not.

In reality it is pretty rare to get an LCD these days with a dead pixel. None of the LCD devices I have suffer from pixel problems. So this really is not as big a deal as a lot of people make it out to be. So chances are you won't have any trouble with the LCD on your PSP. Just in case you do I suggest buying from a store that has a liberal return policy. I am not sure how stores over there treat returns/exchanges, but here lots of stores will take returns/exchanges for up to 14 days if you are not happy with your purchase. That is more than enough time to find out if you have any sort of screen defect.

Ally Graham
7th March 2005, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know when there will be an official PSP mag, and if that will have playable demos on UMD?

Also, Japan is region 2 is it not, and that is the same as the UK, so that would mean that Video UMDs brought here should work in it. Or have I got it wrong?

The Boye
7th March 2005, 11:02 AM
Yah, but you may still have no option for an english soundtrack or subtitles.

[edit by Lance: quote of entire immediately previous post removed]

xEik
7th March 2005, 01:55 PM
Xiek, that's 250 pounds! 500 $ holy smokes, I'm not even going to sell the two that I preordered for that much. 450 maybe. I need my widescreen tv.
I was talking in euros, not pounds. ;) It still makes as much as 325 $ though :(

Salt|Ultra
7th March 2005, 07:57 PM
From what I hear the PSP will be covered in the official PS2/3 mag (at least in the beginning it won't have its' own), no word on UMD demos.

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 07:59 AM
Thought as much.

It would be cool to have playable demos, but the disc may be too expencive to produce for this purpose.

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 08:50 AM
I have e-mailed Sony directly asking about the release date, doubt i will get any real reply, but thought it would be worth a try.

You never know, they may even give me a little hint!

Thruster2097
8th March 2005, 08:56 AM
Last time I wrote to sony, I asked them if they could save my dd2 disc - it had a bad fingerprint on it.
The reply was "You now have a dd2 coffee coaster. enjoy!" :lol:

sony don't like hints.
But it's at least worth a try!

mid
8th March 2005, 08:58 AM
On the issue of inter-region multiplayer the news is not good.

I can't say I'm in the least surprised by this, to be fair. No Nintendo handheld has ever had region protection, but I can't play multi-cart multiplayer between the US and UK versions of Mario Cart Super Circuit, either.

If you want to be able to play Pure with your mates, just get them to log on to videogamesplus.ca and order their one from the site as well. It isn't like importing Canadian releases costs any more money than walking into Game.

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 08:59 AM
Last time I wrote to sony, I asked them if they could save my dd2 disc - it had a bad fingerprint on it.
The reply was "You now have a dd2 coffee coaster. enjoy!" :lol:

sony don't like hints.
But it's at least worth a try!
Even for a laugh.

You never know, it maybe the person's last day, and so they don't care if they release information like that! :lol:

yawnstretch
8th March 2005, 09:36 AM
On the issue of inter-region multiplayer the news is not good.

I can't say I'm in the least surprised by this, to be fair. No Nintendo handheld has ever had region protection, but I can't play multi-cart multiplayer between the US and UK versions of Mario Cart Super Circuit, either.

If you want to be able to play Pure with your mates, just get them to log on to videogamesplus.ca and order their one from the site as well. It isn't like importing Canadian releases costs any more money than walking into Game.

It's a pity if this is the case (I may end up buying two copies of Wipeout) but in a way it makes my purchase from videogames plus a little more bearable considering I wont be able to play against people over here at first. Only problem is setting up the tunneling thing and whether the lag is a problem or not...

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 10:42 AM
Have a look at this site:
http://vinzdecals.com/sony-psp.html

They look very cool, I would mind one, except I would worry about putting it on wrong and messing up the look of the PSP.

mid
8th March 2005, 10:48 AM
Step away from the Decals, Ally - the PSP is rather yummy in the flesh, and these things rather ruin it, to be honest. If you really, really don't want a black one, I'd be shocked and stunned if they didn't release other colours soonish, so buy a proper release.

I'm holding out for White or Orange, myself. The new white DS looks v.v. cool.

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 10:53 AM
I don't mind the black, I love it!

It was just if people wanted to show off, and in theory, allow you to change the colour whenever you want.

Ally Graham
8th March 2005, 12:26 PM
I have got a reply!

Dear Alasdair,

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We are aware and excited that there is massive pent-up demand for PSP all over
the world. Plans are in place for the rollout in other parts of the world in
the Spring (Europe, the Middle East, Australia, NZ, Korea, and South East Asia)
and precise plans in those countries will be announced shortly.

Should you have any further queries, please call the PlayStation Careline on
08705 99 88 77 (National Rate), where an advisor will be happy to assist you.
Our operating hours are 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday, and 10am - 6pm Saturday and
Sunday.

Yours sincerely,

Matthew Fowler
PlayStation Consumer Care Team
Sony Computer Entertainment UK
They say spring, so that is not too bad.

Hellfire_WZ
8th March 2005, 01:48 PM
Hopefully then it'll be around April/May rather than June as some people have feared. Nice one, I feel a bit better about the whole thing now. :wink:

Thruster2097
8th March 2005, 02:27 PM
Nice work!
I completley forgot about the helpline...
Here's hoping that they stick to their word, and inform us all shortly.
As for the vinyls, I have one set for my x-box and one set for my slim ps2.
I changed my black x-box in for a crystal one, and got a metalflake green / purple shifting vinyl fot the front and the big "X". Looks really impressive.
The PS2 has a black carbon fibre vinyl over it. It looks way too tacky.
My moral of the story?
Only use vinyls in some areas. Leave half the PSP black and use vinyl for the rest. You can guarantee that vinyl over a curved surface will eventually blister, and you can also guarantee that the pics on the site are photoshop specials!

Ally Graham
9th March 2005, 08:09 PM
People have been saying over and over again that there may be an official announcement tomorrow or Friday.

This way the ads and pre-order information for the PSP will be up in time for the DS launch, how about that for a kick in the teeth for Nintendo. People may stop and think about which one to get!

Rapier Racer
9th March 2005, 10:33 PM
Good lord, if Sony are having all this trouble delivering a handheld console to us what with the release date getting shoved back all the time due to the morons running out of this and that imagine what its going to be like when they try and launch the PS3 here in Euro land, it’ll be a certifiable nightmare, six month delays, just a thought

Lance
9th March 2005, 11:59 PM
PS3 supposed to be in 2006, but look what happened to Windows Longhorn! :D

Hellfire_WZ
11th March 2005, 03:35 PM
Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002S9JAM/qid=1110558583/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_0/026-8500721-5478055) have the PSP available for preorder. They reckon the release date is April 29th. Don't know how solid it is, but it's a date nonetheless. Pure is also listed as a release title.

Mobius
11th March 2005, 03:46 PM
What happened to longhorn lance?

yawnstretch
11th March 2005, 03:58 PM
MMmm These new avatars are delicious :D

Anyway - played my first PSP multiplayer game today and Im pleased to announce that it was good. No lag no problems all fun.

I require pure wipeout overload.

Ally Graham
11th March 2005, 04:07 PM
http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/nid/472/

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dimension
11th March 2005, 04:12 PM
:bombhead HNNNGgggcccrapinhell! :evil:

stin
11th March 2005, 04:14 PM
I`m not surprised!!! :x but time will come or else!!!!! :evil:

C`mon I`m desperate!!!
stevie :(

Ally Graham
11th March 2005, 04:17 PM
Why have sony done it to us again!

Why did they up the US launch units if stock is low?!

Hellfire_WZ
11th March 2005, 04:22 PM
Don't 'spose they had much choice. What's worse, upping stock to meet requirements in an already announced area, or releasing in another territory and being low on stock in both? I think they're just playing it safe.

Still pisses me off no end, but I really want them to get this right. If it does persist though, I will import, therer's only so far I'm willing to wait.

Dimension
11th March 2005, 04:23 PM
Who knows? We'll likely never find out because it's probably something along the lines of them already having distibuters in NA, so they can get lazy and not have to worry about ones on outr continent, either that or they think they'll not sell all those PSPs in europe :|

yawnstretch
11th March 2005, 04:31 PM
It's a mess for sure - makes me all the happier I imported last year - but Sony should have been the ones to break the Euro-games mess we've had since the start of the videogame industry.

Great opportunity missed.

Sony probably didn't want to spread themselves thin in the US and EU - better to have decent availability in each so everyone gets one while it's hot rather than a trickle in both regions. A bold impact a little later is probably better for Europe but it is annoying.

Ally Graham
11th March 2005, 04:35 PM
VERY annoying!!!

I really don't want to import the console, games yes, PSP no.

Dimension
11th March 2005, 04:35 PM
But one would like a PSP about now :) J/K, can't be greedy and it seems we will indeed have to wait *sigh* it seems like forever we've been waiting for pure and it's just getting ever more distant! :(

Sausehuhn
11th March 2005, 04:39 PM
I will not import a PSP. No, I will buy it when it's released in Europe. Hey, now I've more time to get money :?

PS: I've read, that a brittish shop has listed the game "Prince of Persia" for the 29.04.05 This would mean, that the console would be available at this date as well. Right?

Let's wait! :|

Hellfire_WZ
11th March 2005, 05:07 PM
I've just been doing a little research on various sites, and they're pretty much all saying the same thing, that Sony themselves are refusing to comment on release dates. I know in Ally's article Eurogamer claim it came from a source close to Sony, but I don't really want to believe anything until it has actually come from an official Sony representative. If these are just rumours flying around, then I guess their aim is to pressure Sony into announcing a date before they are ready, and maybe Sony are doing the right thing in dismissing them.

We might also be jumping the gun a little. The US release date was announced on February 3rd, seven weeks before the date. If Amazon has got this right by saying April 29th, this is in exactly seven weeks time. We just might hear something sooner than we think.

[/mindless optimism] :wink:

edit : Gameplay.co.uk has it listed as 20th May, but it's only a guess. I've also signed up to GAME's PSP preorder mailing list, they'll email me when the official release date is announced.

Lance
11th March 2005, 07:31 PM
Mobius, Longhorn was supposed to be available last year; now they're talking about 2006, maybe 2007

Ally Graham
13th March 2005, 07:53 AM
Once they start putting the units aside for Europe, it will only be a matter of time.
When they do this, they will have to make an announcement.

"Every hour brings us nearer, every minute makes the fog clearer"

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 09:10 PM
I am as in the dark are you guys as to the European release of the PSP, however my educated guess would be late April.

And that is a guess, we havent been told, well I havent :)

Thruster2097
14th March 2005, 10:56 PM
My local store are telling me "anytime between may and june".
So, I'm placing a large wager on August 19th.

Mano
16th March 2005, 05:17 AM
I have been playing with a PSP for the past couple of days, not much time mind you since my job is like slavery, but its a great handheld; my cousin just came from japan where he got a job and took the plunge about buying a PSP, hes glad he did, ridge racers is fun to play, although not precisely in my line of racing, im more of a gran turismo driver when it comes to cars.

about the design, i feel the nub is a bit 2d for an analog stick, due to the fact that it slides rather than lever, but this is a handheld and i think the idea is good and practical. About the screen......I LOVE IT!, crisp, clear and big! (for a handheld) the sound is good but need to try it with some good movie and/or a game that has more effects than RR, the buttons are placed nicely, but my hands feel a little effort when playing (natural with almost every handheld, and also to the fact that i play in bed before going to sleep.
About the looks of the PSP... its really good on this department, a lot of quality and very sleek and clean look, like an efficient sports car.

the way i see it Pure is going to look good on the PSP, even tho i dont like the ship designs very much, i think they have improved a lot or maybe its the fact that stills never do justice to any game, specially one that moves fast like Wipeout, i really hope it comes out a great game and revives the series, as we really need another Wipeout on console, and please Colin if in the future you work on Wipeout for the next Sony console (since you say its very improbable there will be another version for PS2) please please please, we need NegCon support !!!! its really REAlly important!!, dont let the same thing that happened with Gran Turismo happen to Wipeout, they ditched NegCon support!!.

Btw Colin if you havent seen them already, i have some sketces, drawings and ideas posted in the "some sketches" topic in the general discusion forum, i have different pictures on different galleries and on different posts on that topic, so theres much more than the first ones i posted,would like to hear your opinion if i can bother you with that :D