PDA

View Full Version : Preview from Eurogamer

Frankie Lee
8th February 2005, 12:44 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57859

Usually a fairly reliable source of opinions. They seem to be getting excited.

Rapier Racer
8th February 2005, 01:14 PM
Anybody who thought WipEout had been wiped out by its failings since 2097

*cough splutter * eh what???

nice to see that the multiplayer works well

Dimension
8th February 2005, 01:29 PM
i second that, not an american site by any chance is it? Nope, even that doesn't explain that comment. That is since the general american seem to hate WO3 thanks to getting it late, so that would have explained it 8O Not sure what I think of the preview, doesn't make it sound very interesting :x

UncleZeiv
8th February 2005, 03:29 PM
It is a widespread myth that the wipeout series begun to decline after 2097... Every wipeout preview/review/rumor since fusion was announced has to state something like that. Sometimes I even waste some time and write back something like: wipeoutzoners do appreciate wipeout3!

As for the article... the game could be good, in principle. The multiplayer feature could be the "killer" feature. Anyway I personally won't buy neither wipeout pure nor the psp untill they both gain widespread approval within the wipeoutzone community :)

_dave_

Dimension
8th February 2005, 05:04 PM
I think there's widespread approval already and it's not even out yet lol, people are getting really excited about this one, just hope it doesn't have the Matrix Reloaded effect and, while being decent, fails to be as awesome as hoped. I myself just can't wait to get hold of ten new tracks! :twisted:

Mobius
8th February 2005, 05:16 PM
12 u mean?

Dimension
8th February 2005, 05:18 PM
4 classic tracks, only 8 newies ;)

Lance
8th February 2005, 06:35 PM
supposedly zone mode on PSP has 4 new tracks exclusive to that mode. i believe the ''neon'' tracks were mentioned as being for this purpose. but also i seem to recall that the 4 classic tracks were modified/upgraded in some way. neonned perhaps?

Dimension
8th February 2005, 06:40 PM
well they'll still be the same basic tracks, I can't imagine the racing line will be changed to any great degree, if it is they're not really the classic tracks, are they? :|

UncleZeiv
8th February 2005, 06:52 PM
Yes but I want *hindsight* approval :) People were excited for Fusion too, before and even after it was released, although only for a short time. So, my exact requirement is: "long lasting hindsight approval" :)

_dave_

Lance
8th February 2005, 07:00 PM
the Monday morning quarterback report. yep. that's the one that does it. Fusion sowed a lack of confidence where there used to be absolute certainty that the next new Wipeout would always be great. and Wipeoutish. even so, i'm pretty sure Pure is true Wipeout

Rapier Racer
8th February 2005, 07:26 PM
well as most Wipers despise Fusion they probably think, how could it get any worse? have we all heard that things can only get better song? well insert that here :rock_on

Chill
9th February 2005, 05:55 AM
@ Dimension's first post to this forum:
-I'm an American (though I see greener grass on that side), and Wipeout 3 was my favorite Wipeout <-(not sure about Wipeout pure being better), and I would buy it again in a split second!! And I also disagree, when did Wipeout fade after 2097? I never knew of 2097 or XL, yet still loved the game to death!! :twisted: :D :wink:

Dimension
9th February 2005, 08:27 AM
yeah I know, I wasn't insulting any of the wipeout elite, it's just reading reviews and such about the place you get the idea, what with having to wait for an age for W3O that statesiders have a particular dislike for it, it said so... somewhere :)

Angryman
9th February 2005, 11:11 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4244509.stm

preiview from bbc, sounds good.

Dimension
9th February 2005, 11:44 AM
that's a cool article. And the soundtrack is 100% original to pure, interesting... You're right though angryman, does sound good :)

Leftism
9th February 2005, 11:52 AM
"Anybody who thought WipEout had been wiped out by its failings since 2097"

Erm, sorry, did I miss something the past 5 or so years? Well, both interesting articles and the soundtrack being original is quite a bold move as well.

G'Kyl
9th February 2005, 12:03 PM
They would have killed Wipeout had they not included an orignal licensed soundtrack. ;) What sounds most interesting to me is this: "There are also lots of special key combinations to be mastered that unleash turbo boosts and other trick moves." Trick moves, now THAT sounds interesting. I wonder what they mean by that. Did I just miss that piece of information or has it never been mentioned before. Anyway, can't wait to try those moves. :)

Ben

yawnstretch
9th February 2005, 12:25 PM
"Sony was planning to get young artists and designers to produce artwork for the billboards that line the track side, he added"

That's interesting too. Imagine having your own graphics on a billboard in WipEout Pure!

Rapier Racer
9th February 2005, 01:08 PM
This latest version, said Mr Ceraolo, is based 100 years after the events in Wipeout: Fusion and features some of the same teams.

"The story carries on from Wipeout: Fusion which went a bit heavy on weapons and was balanced towards combat rather than racing," he said.

how can it possibly carry on from Fusion, half of these teams disappeared according to the texts on the site, what happened, Qirex suddenly formed again and Tigron magically handed back it’s assets? And Assegai who were acquired by Piranha, did they just suddenly un acquire them, I don’t suppose it’s really all that important just interesting to see how it happened

appart from that I like what I read

JABBERJAW
9th February 2005, 01:40 PM
As far as sales are concerned xl/2097 probably sold 3 times more than fusion/3 combined, so it really did go downhill. 3 was too hard for a lot of people because of the crappy turbo scraping and fusion was not really wipeout(although it was a decent game). I think one problem with wipeout games is forcing the player to play through the slow classes in order to even try a fast class. Newbies will say "this is way too slow or boring". There needs to be a demo mode you can try for one lap on the slowest to to the fastest level to see what you are playing for.

Sausehuhn
9th February 2005, 03:09 PM
Yes. The Wip3out demo was structured like this. At first you flew a race with Feisar, 2 laps short, and then with Goteki 45 a 4 laps long race. Okay, that was not the highest class, but it was fast enough for beginners.
But I don't want a demo, I want the FULL GAME!!!! :D

- WipEout Pure rocks!!! -

Dimension
9th February 2005, 03:21 PM
Al knows all *we are not worthy* Good point on the w3o leagues, it did get pretty chuffing tiresome by the end of even Rapier, this new idea for unlocking tracks sounds like a good one, up your rank and open new courses, sounds nice and simple! :) I just wonder how the ships and classes will be unlocked? Possibly with four tracks per league (classic, alpha and beta was it?) you would race a vector race on the first course, venom on the second, rapier on the third and phantom on the last, though replace one of those with the new class and push phantom to being unlocked when all four races are complete, then you would swiftly unlock all of the classes for those four courses, it would need to be pretty sodding difficult though to keep you entertained at that rate, especially for the wipeout elite (we mention no names!), after all you don't want to be lapping everyone on our first go through the game do you? We shall see how it works :)

Colin Berry
9th February 2005, 04:07 PM
4 classic tracks, only 8 newies ;)

4 classic
8 environemnt
4 zone

:D

As for the classics these have been recreated from hand, using top down images only so all height adfjustment etc has been done by eye, it was a painstaking process. The tracks are not 100% accurate, they could never be without the original files, which we dont have. However, they couldnt have been much closer !

G'Kyl
9th February 2005, 04:45 PM
Sounds fine! After all, any race circuit gets a rework more or less frequently. Also, we will then have a new challenge in figuring out all the details that have changed and adjust our skills accordingly. Not to mention the fact that new aerodynamics change the way you apporach an old track already brings siginificant changes. Looks like a welcome challenge. :)

Ben