PDA

View Full Version : First time?

Test-pilot
7th February 2005, 04:28 PM
When did you play Wipeout for the very first time?
My introduction to it was back when I got my brand-new Playstation in, I think September '96. Wipeout was one of the three games that I bought, along with Air Combat and Porsche Challenge. I remember how :evil: hard it was, I kept bumping into walls all the time :wink: Heh, I've had the copy I bought for almost ten years now... 8O

And how about you?

piranha wiper
7th February 2005, 04:40 PM
i first played on 2097 back in 97, and then i got my playstation also with three games on my birthday in 99, wo san fran rush and ridge racer, i watched my dad play on it before me and he was rubbish hahaha

Lance
7th February 2005, 04:42 PM
March, 2000
Wipeout 3
on the two-year-old PSX i bought in a pawnshop

G'Kyl
7th February 2005, 05:52 PM
I first played the 2097 PC demo for weeks and was instantly sure I had finally found the game I had always wanted. It had so much speed, coolness and scifi in it - I just loved it.

Shem
7th February 2005, 06:32 PM
oh man....

I won't recall myself a month, but it was somewhere back in '96, winter I think. It was a PC version of this game i played at my friend's house.

G'Kyl
7th February 2005, 07:08 PM
I read that the PC version of the original Wipeout was hardly playable at the hardware that existed when it was released. Since I only played it at a better computer two years later: Was it really that bad? Was it just slow or did you get a choppy framrate?

Frankie Lee
7th February 2005, 07:52 PM
Slightly embarassing but: Yesterday. Feb 2005. Ten years late I think, but man am I enjoying it.

Shem
7th February 2005, 09:48 PM
I read that the PC version of the original Wipeout was hardly playable at the hardware that existed when it was released. Since I only played it at a better computer two years later: Was it really that bad? Was it just slow or did you get a choppy framrate?

I knew I was right! :) It was back in '96, winter, March (some time after PC release of Wipeout).

I played the game on a computer which allowed quite smooth play, but it wasn't smooth all the time, i remember some framerate chop, and problems with running it, but it didn't bother me much.

If you're interested - here's the basic configuration allowing to run Wipeout on a PC -

PC DOS
486DX/33
8mb RAM
VGA
SB16, SB AWE

I think I'd played Wipeout on a similar, or better PC, that would explain some framerate problems. BUT! After reading some reviews from my old PC game mags, I can tell, that back then, an avarage PC configuration was enough to run Wipeout with no problems, Wipeout was referred to as a good conversion from Playstation, smooth (framrate) and nice. The other thing is that as far as I'm informed, there were plans to release some patches allowing to play Wipe'out" multiplayer. I don't know if they were ever released.

G'Kyl
7th February 2005, 10:58 PM
All there is is a multiplayer upgrade for XL, but none for Wipeout, I'm afraid. Funny though, all I read was complaints about how mediocre the conversion was. Never trust the magazines, I say. ;)

Shem
7th February 2005, 11:35 PM
I say - never trust PC's :wink:

Dimension
8th February 2005, 08:42 AM
might have been 96, maybe 97, I played the first wipeout on our first PC, can't imagine it was any later than 96 though since we were the first family around to have a PC and we got Wipeout with it :P Lol, I remember having to repeatedly ask my dad's permission to play on his PC, I was also better than him at it :lol: than again I was only 11 or 12 at the time so some of this may be wrong :wink:

Rapier Racer
8th February 2005, 09:59 AM
I first played the 2097 PS1 demo, played it alot then forgot about it 8O I was in a game shop one day and went hunting for the full version but bought WO 3 instead by mistake, I didn't really like WO 3 at first, oh how things change.

judus
8th February 2005, 12:43 PM
I played wipeout when i bought ps1 on launch. The console came with a demo (it was called D1) and wipeout was the first game i tried(also happens to be my first play at a 3d game) and i was instantly hooked. After a few weeks i bought the full game.

Since then, i have bought every wipeout game that came out "on the sony consoles".

Does anyone still remember games like ESPN extreme games, novastorm, loaded and the technical demo of the dinasaur sony had on that D1 demo?

Test-pilot
8th February 2005, 01:02 PM
Does anyone still remember games like ESPN extreme games, novastorm, loaded and the technical demo of the dinasaur sony had on that D1 demo?
I miss those technical demos (the dinosaur and that fish, whatever it was named...) :wink:, too bad that the CD has disappeared in the long run, and I can't find it anymore :(

G'Kyl
8th February 2005, 01:37 PM
What where they like? Similar to the stuff from the demo scene (with a somewhat arty feel to it) or just showing off some of the effects you could to with the hardware?

judus
8th February 2005, 02:42 PM
The dino demo had a big T-rex model (i think it was t-rex) that was constantly on the move, and you could make it open it's mouth,show it's teeth, make it roar, turn it's head/tail. you also could rotate the camera around the model and zoom in and out of it. It looked ahead of it's time back then. i'm looking for that disc atm, brings back memories.

UncleZeiv
8th February 2005, 03:35 PM
ahh, sweet remembrance... you can never forget your first time.

wipeout (1) was the first 3d game I bought for my pc. It didn't require, nor it did take advantage, of a 3d card, though. The conversion was crappy in that the game had a real low-res feeling; anyway it run smoothly. I bought, and broke, some two or three joysticks for wipeout. Than i bought my first 3d card in order to get wipeout 2097 working... but when I upgraded my cpu, too, the game run to fast and it was not playable anymore :(((

When wipeout3 came out, I was very sad because there was not going to be a pc version... so, after some time, I had to buy a ps2 :) then fusion arrived... and what's next? psp?

_dave_

jospicy
8th February 2005, 06:31 PM
well my first experience was early 99' with the demo of 2097 at my friends house but first time proper was November last year whenn i finally found WO in Game

piranha wiper
8th February 2005, 08:18 PM
does any one still have these demos?

judus wrote:

yeah ive got novastorm, i was going to play on it the other night but it doesn work for some reason

G'Kyl
8th February 2005, 10:24 PM
Which OS are you using? It doesn't run under WinXP (it does, actually, but barely), but should do fine under 95/98.

Chill
9th February 2005, 06:11 AM
@Frankie Lee:
Feb. 6th!!!! Amazing! It's not every day you get to meet someone who had just barely began playing Wipeout and is already a huge fan of it!! Awesome man!! :wink:

--For me, it was either in '95 ot '96, about the time when the playstation first came out with a demo disc. The first track, with the first craft was the only option, and I can remember the first race I had reached first. I hit someone with a rocket right before they passed over the finish line, and I scraped right by them!! :lol: After that, I could practically race the track with my eyes closed before we got the first actual game. :D

Damon
9th February 2005, 10:09 AM
does any one still have these demos?

Funnily enough, I was just showing my little boy the T-Rex demo the other day. If I recall correctly, it was this same demo that Sony used to wow the world when they first showed off the PlayStation hardware, well before it was ever launched. The very idea that a home console could do real-time 3D like that was pretty awesome at the time.

piranha wiper
9th February 2005, 11:52 AM
gkyl wrote
Which OS are you using? It doesn't run under WinXP (it does, actually, but barely), but should do fine under 95/98.

ah, that will be why then, im on xp i did have 98, but since i got xp i didnt play on it, thanks g man

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:12 AM
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed you, Test-pilot. That's an awesome name! That was gonna be mine, but I like to just sit, listen to music, and play wipeout with all of it's music turned off. Mabye faint sound effects would be on. Similar to the way some people listen to music and watch soundless cartoons. That, and like the station "Chill" on Sirius radio are how I got my name. :D

Test-pilot
12th February 2005, 04:06 PM
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed you, Test-pilot. That's an awesome name!
Well, thank you. I took that from Chang's description in the WO1 manual "defected communist test-pilot", or what was it. I can't remember exactly. :P Too bad I don't have the manual anymore :x

Chill
12th February 2005, 04:35 PM
I thought of the name as being the tester of all crafts before they were used. You'd get to fly all the crafts before anyone else, and would probably be an amazing pilot. I also saw it as taking control over someone elses craft when they got auto-pilot. You'd be behind the scenes, but one of the most skilled.

Test-pilot
12th February 2005, 07:44 PM
8) Yes, I do that too, been piloting various AG-craft for 10 years now.

Chill
12th February 2005, 10:45 PM
Sorry to ask such of a dumb question, but what the heck does AG stand for in AG-crafts!!!! Anti-Gravity?

Piranha Advancements
12th February 2005, 10:57 PM
Yep.

As for the question,yeah,part of the few launch games I bought when the PS was launched.Ridge Racer,Resident Evil,Tekken and Wipeout.Thing was..I didnt even touch it,bought it out of impulse,I thought it was a wasted buy.

Then one fine day....and so it began.

Seek100
12th February 2005, 11:46 PM
My first encounter with wipEout was Christmas morning in 95 was it? The demo disc that came with my PS had Altima VII as a playable track. It was very hard for a 10 year old, I didn't like it at all and thought nothing of it untill I got w'o"2097 in 1997 and became addicted.

Chill
13th February 2005, 03:40 AM
Well, I played Wipeout 1 forever before knowing of any other sequals. The earliest sequal I played was Wipeout 3 SE. I just played Wipeout 1 over and over again until I could take a whole year off, and then beat the game without practice and not losing even once. I was about 8 years old when we first got the game, and I loved it! I had the demo with the first track on it! I also messed with that until I new the track with my eyes closed, and then became addicted. At first, my dad could out-race me anytime; however, I passed him way up! :twisted: Other than my life of Wipeout, everything else in my life kinda stank. I had plenty of bullies, and was really struggling on my school work, so Wipeout was my escape. Now, I love the hell out of it!!!! :D

zargz
13th February 2005, 08:17 AM
Good for you man! :)
and about ' At first, my dad could out-race me anytime; however, I passed him way up!'
that's what usualy happens between dads and sosn my dad showed me how to play the guitar 6month later I was better than him ;)
they also say if the studen doesn't surpass his teacher then he didn't have a good teacher!
[end of wisdom words]

I fisrt played wo Xmass 96 -> a friend was supposed to borrow me his psx over Xmass but he was gone b4 that
so I had to rent one and then some weeks later I bought a psx with wo! 8)

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Chill
14th February 2005, 03:12 AM
Good for you man! :)

Thanx a lot! :D Well, now I'm doing better in school, but, believe it or not, Wipeout actually "helped" me get better. I first began doing really well in math and drawing blueprints of crafts on the side (it was my inspiration to math), and then this opened a whole nother world for me. Now, compared to that time, I'm doing very well. Wipeout pritty much SAVED MY LIFE!!!! :D

silaris
18th February 2005, 06:03 AM
First encounter with Wipeout was standing in a retail store called "Venture" and playing the demo, didn't have the money back then, loved it, even as a kid, was also playing Jumping Jack Flash/Battle Arena Toshiden?.

Anyways, think a couple months later, got a PC version, which didn't seem to work cause I couldn't save data, but I think I still have the actual box for the PC version with me still, oh heck, I still have the manual, as well as the original for the "big box" PS1 Wipeout.

However, it took years to figure out I could use BOTH airbreaks to break straight, think I found out in WO3.

Been loyal to the franchise since and got me started on Electronic music, just wished I had WO3:SE, then my collection would be complete. :(

Chill
18th February 2005, 06:09 AM
...as well as the original for the "big box" PS1 Wipeout.

However, it took years to figure out I could use BOTH airbreaks to break straight, think I found out in WO3.
:(

Me too! :wink:

eno
18th February 2005, 07:19 AM
Before this day games were just Sega/SuperNES. Never playing a good 3d game. So that winter it came out I begged everyone to pool there money for Xmas and buy me a freakn PS with Wipeout. Normally a gift in that price range would be out of the question but somehow my loving mother went with me mid december and bought it for me with Wipeout. Somehow I coaxed her into letting me try it out right as we got home.

Pulled in the driveway.

Car probally still moving ,Me and best friend ran with the PS upstairs to my room

Quickly plugged it into the front inputs of the TV since time was limited.

Turned on my then sweet ProLogic system

I was at a turning point in my gaming life. O it was unbelievable.

WipeoutXL followed the enjoyment, then W64,then W3. Then the series took a nose dive on fusion with my main complaint being the lack of Wipeout style controls, no more flying or jumping or really shredding the corners like you could before in all the previous releases.

I now wait for a new version on a console, but I might end up buying the PSP for Wipeout alone. Yes I am a wipeout fan. No other game affects me like Wipeout. I freakn love it.

G'Kyl
18th February 2005, 11:49 AM
:(
Me too! :wink:

Don't tell me you actually have to fully brake!?! ;))

Chill
18th February 2005, 04:58 PM
Nah!!! Just something to figure out! Not that it'll really help a lot, but something never known before. (It helps on Wipeout 3 at p-mar project. The jump that leads strait into curvy turns. Never got the exact hang of it normally, but had done it a couple of times. :wink:

Seek100
18th February 2005, 07:25 PM
You do know you can just boost straight over the top of those nasty curves after the first big jump at P-Mar? I used to brake there but that's just silly and impractical at rapier and phantom, IMHO.

phase 2
26th April 2005, 10:44 PM
I remember getting playstation one the very first day or week the system hit the states if I remember corectly the system shiped with a watchable demo disk featuring up coming titles that had wipe out on it I was blown away by this games watchable demo and
the game air combats also was another game featured on the disk. At the time I only owned ESPN Exstreme due to limited titles. Anyways if I am not mistaking I reserved wipe out and bought it the day it came out. I remember going to what was EBX at the time picking up my copy of W.O. than recieving another phone call later that day saying my copy of Twisted Metal was also in that I also reserved. I went back later thaty day to pick up my second game in one day. Two classic games fore the p.s. one released the same day.
Awsome day in history fore the playstation.

perfecide
27th April 2005, 06:35 AM
Yes!!! I still have the demo disk, I'd play that one lap for hours and count the days til the full release came out. I'd try to get first place on that one lap that really helped when the final release came out. I hope they remake all the old ones in the future or near future. Wipeout and Twisted Metal were the only reasons I wanted to get a "psx" in the first place.