PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question: Order to do things in?

mid
4th February 2005, 11:19 AM
Having recently started my AG Racing career over again after a fairly lengthy idle time, thanks to finding the 3:SE and DD2 pack, I'm really getting back into it. After getting some skills back at Vector for both 3 and 'Classic' tracks, I've been ramping up to the slightly more challenging stuff, and pushed through Venom with Assegai Developments last night - it's amazing just how much harder Stanza is to Gold than the rest, even after all these years.

Anyway, returning to the question I was going to ask, is there an order that people would recommend I consider competing things in? Gold the rest of the teams at slow speeds before embarking on Rapier? Concentrate on 3 or do Classic at the same time? How about the Championships and Challenges?

Like I said, it's been a fair old while, so I'm rusty, on top of never having been particularly good in the first place. I'm also annoyed that my old savegame memory card has died, losing all my 2097 and Wipeout saves too, but that's another story.

infoxicated
4th February 2005, 12:13 PM
I concentrated mostly on the Wipeout 3 tracks, only going to the classics when I got tired of golding up all the usual suspects.

Vector and Venom I've only done enough of each of them to unlock the ships and the tracks, rather than the blanket 8 by 8 golds I have in Rapier and Phantom. :)

It all depends on what you like, really - I only played Wipeout the first time with Wipeout 3 - so the classic tracks weren't as much of a pull for me. I imagine that if you're a pilot from the early days then those classic tracks will be quite a draw, though.

G'Kyl
4th February 2005, 12:19 PM
Same here about the save games. I had to start 2097 and 3 all over when I picked up the Wipeouts again over a year ago.

If you want to have an easy take on the gold medals, finish Porta Kora with all crafts and then complete the rest of the tracks with the so unlocked 4 crafts. Using the first four makes the game a bit more difficult, except for Icaras at Phantom speed probably.
Apart from that, do whichever race you feel comfortable with in the lower classes and then work your way up. WO3SE takes a loooong time to finish, so I wouldn't recommend making it seem like hard work that's got to be done by 6pm.

Ben

EDIT: Looks like my typing is too slow. ;)

I imagine that if you're a pilot from the early days then those classic tracks will be quite a draw, though.

Indeed they are! They only thing is that it's exhausting at best to get gold in no less than 256 races...again.

Dimension
4th February 2005, 12:35 PM
I went through all of the races (in wo3 pal) in september and I, as infox put it "Blanket(ed?)" the single races, I tried to unlock all of the ships in each class asap and then did the races with the easiest, only going back to do the courses with the slower ships when I was comfortable, having done them with easy ships already. I also did the leagues before the single races, though that's of not much interest. It actually took me quite some time to figure out how to unlock the other ships and tracks, figured it had something to do with the championships until I noticed a box light up gold (after some 5 or 6 infuriating hours,) lol, quite embarrasing when I look at it, but humorous nonetheless :D

mid
4th February 2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll carry on the way I'm going for now, then.

I'm sure there's a document around here somewhere that says, but I can't find it right now - how do you unlock the other things again? Is it a full-on 64-Gold set for each class?

G'Kyl
4th February 2005, 01:33 PM
how do you unlock the other things again? Is it a full-on 64-Gold set for each class?

Yep. You want bonus tracks, you need to complete all WO3 races in each class with every craft.

It actually took me quite some time to figure out how to unlock the other ships and tracks, figured it had something to do with the championships until I noticed a box light up gold (after some 5 or 6 infuriating hours,)

Hehe, didn't take me that long to discover the medal sign, but just like you I first went for the challenges, because for some reason I thought this is where the unlockables were hidden. This really got me puzzled, since I was used to the single-craft-single-class challenges from 2097 and now had all kinds of crafts mixed with all sorts of classes and didn't understand what the heck I was supposed to do. ;)

Ben

mid
4th February 2005, 01:51 PM
Hmm, in which case I might hang around at Venom a bit longer and fill out my Gold Medal tally before I embark on the really fast stuff. Like I said, I never was that good to start with, and it's taking a while to get the hang of the tracks again, too.

Plus, that way I might actually post something slightly less embarrassing on the main site...

Dimension
4th February 2005, 02:00 PM
Plus, that way I might actually post something slightly less embarrassing on the main site...

Either way, if you keep at WO it's not going to be embarrassing for long heh heh, you should probably unlock everything first IMO, open up your options so you can play the faster ones if you like and that, if you open up phantom you'll find you're vastly quicker on the slower leagues without even trying. Example: I went and TT'd at several Vector tracks (WO3) yesterday for the first time (the longest I spent on a single track was 15 minutes,) and landed myself a 3rd and a couple of 4ths with relative ease, dropping down the speed classes is much easier than scalling them. So my advice, for what it's worth, unlock everything and then put in the hours in the silly sod class, your times won't be embarrasing for very long, banzai! :banzai