PDA

View Full Version : The PSP is flawed, and they're not fixing it. Thanks sony.

Asche XL
28th January 2005, 01:00 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24/news_6116985.html

Dimension
28th January 2005, 01:31 AM
No way! :| That's unbelievable, love this though:
"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."
Now that takes guts to say lmao, arrogant twat :lol:

I guess if you get a faulty one you have to just send it back to them (death thread included... obviously) But in all seriouslness, that really, really, reeeeeally blows :evil:

lunar
28th January 2005, 01:31 AM
8O That was quite an astounding reply, wasn`t it. "My machine is a work of art so p*$$ off the lot of you." Or words to that effect.

I`m sure the problem can`t be that bad..... you would like to think anyway.

Lance
28th January 2005, 01:57 AM
some people are too insecure to admit a mistake or having not had the imagination to invent a way out of a difficulty. we just found another one of those people

Rapier Racer
28th January 2005, 09:30 AM
That article pisses me off, who do Sony think they are?

"nor did I want its machine body to become any larger."

oh come on if it was just ever so slightly increased in size at both ends

:evil: :evil: :evil:

G'Kyl
28th January 2005, 09:35 AM
This guy does indeed have serious problems.
"This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake", he says. OooooK, so the PURPOSE was to not make the button work properly, yes? God, this is the most silly case of misplaced arrogance I have heard of in a long while.

Ben

Rapier Racer
28th January 2005, 10:02 AM
"This is something that we've created, and this is our specification"

Well here is a groundbreaking idea, why don't you shove it up your.......

eLhabib
28th January 2005, 11:33 AM
I don't think anyone would have complained if the whole square button had been placed a little more to the right, not just the sensor beneath it. but I guess that would have destroyed the 'beauty' :roll:
IT'S A GAMING MACHINE GODDAMMIT! NOBODY CARES WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AS LONG AS IT SPORTS NICE GRAPHICS AND PLAYS WELL! Wake up Sony!

G'Kyl
28th January 2005, 12:58 PM
IT'S A GAMING MACHINE GODDAMMIT! NOBODY CARES WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AS LONG AS IT SPORTS NICE GRAPHICS AND PLAYS WELL! Wake up Sony!

Actually, people do care. The success of the Playstation is largely due to making the machine(s) a cool accessory of your living room. So there is good reason why Sony wants the PSP - something you (in theory) carry around everywhere, something similar to the I-Pod - to look as neat as possible.

Ben

zargz
28th January 2005, 01:05 PM
It really looks Good though! :|

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

G'Kyl
28th January 2005, 01:20 PM
It does! Although from a strictly personal perspective, I'd have to say I too prefer usability over design. ;) Which is why I am really disappointed of Sony reacting that way. That's very unprofessional behavior in my book.

Ben

zargz
28th January 2005, 01:34 PM
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/sef.gif .. That's true. I totally agree!

Shem
28th January 2005, 01:40 PM
For crying out loud, was Sony's purpose to make playing games difficult because of that button? it IS a button you know, and it IS equally important as D-pad for example. Just imagine playing games on a D-pad right directional button of which would be messed up. Can you? I sure can. So first of all, Kutaragi being ignorant about that issue just hurts my eyes when I read his statements. Maybe it wasn't their mistake (but then again - would they admit that it was a mistake looking back at similar incidents with PSX and PS2?). Maybe they planned it to be like this. But it turned out to be a mistake. And tell me - who is right? The ones who paid an awful lot of money for the system that is designed to cause problems, or the guy who says that all these people must cope with it, even though that he could improve the system? Kutaragi's statement makes me angry. Is it that difficult to add these extra few milimeters of material so it all would fit like it should? I'm not talking about shrinking the screen, i'm talking about adding a few more extra milimeteres to the board. Of course I might be wrong, becouse I'm not an architect of this system, so it's easy to point that out to me. But then again, I'd tell those designers to invent something since I'm not for that kind of work.

Mobius
28th January 2005, 01:53 PM
that is just stupid - i was sriously considering buying a psp on launch day - via preorder coz i dont think skipping school for a psp is that good an idea - or waiting all thursday night either...

anyway the price problem and the [] button flaw has really tainted this - i'm gonan wait and see what happens... :(

Hellfire_WZ
28th January 2005, 03:01 PM
What Kutaragi has come out with there is ignorance at its highest level. It doesn't matter if it looks like the best thing ever to grace this planet, the fact of the matter is you should tinker the design to incorporate functionality, NEVER the other way round. It wouldn't look any worse to me if it was slightly wider, as long as it works like its supposed to. Perhaps it's being blown out of proportion a little, after all, we haven't all had first hand experience of this, but he'll be crucified for those comments if it does prove a fatal flaw.

Seeing as there is just as much space on the other side of the screen, can I take it it's the same case with the d-pad?

lunar
28th January 2005, 03:21 PM
Seeing as there is just as much space on the other side of the screen, can I take it it's the same case with the d-pad?

apparently so:

http://nfg.2y.net/games/PSP/

as you say, though, maybe its blown out of proportion a little. Let`s hope so.

The guy writing the article above doesn`t seem to think that the square button is an issue.

Rapier Racer
28th January 2005, 03:47 PM
oh dear, I didn't realise you had to touch the UMD like that to get it out the box, I'm not impressed by that at all, what a bunch of clowns sony are :?

Also, I believe that the D-Pad having problems is a bigger issue than the square button!!! I’d still be happy with a dodgy square button since I don’t use it a lot in any game but not the D-Pad, how are you supposed to tightly turn that corner if it’s unresponsive

PSP Attractiveness meter – Last month 10/10 Now 5.5/10

G'Kyl
28th January 2005, 03:58 PM
PSP Attractiveness meter – Last month 10/10 Now 5.5/10

Still 8/10 here. Those issues could be just the usual nitpicking at the release of anything new. I do agree, though, that the D-Pad is the bigger problem. I guess I'll have to stick some paper between the pad and the screen so it won't have a chance to slide from left to right. ;)

Ben

EDT: I really have to concentrate while I'm typing anything.

Lance
28th January 2005, 05:06 PM
EDT?

zargz
28th January 2005, 05:30 PM
G'Kyl : Concentrate :?: OBVIOUSLY!!! :mrgreen: LOL!!!

Lance
28th January 2005, 05:57 PM
now, now. let's not be harsh. subtlety. subtlety.

you do make the occasional error yourself, after all.
as do i. but not *cof* so much. ;) :D

Mobius
28th January 2005, 07:06 PM
Yuo know when you really want to hit someone for something so stupid - have a look at this...
(i know it is bit big but i think it is important)

http://www.gamesarefun.com/consoles/psp/button.jpg

basically the picture on the left is whet the circuit board looks like in jap psp's
the picture on the right is what the board was gonna be like (ie in sample units.)

notice how in BOTH images there is the curve in the screen to acommodate for the sensor to be in the centre of the button :!:

WHAT A LOAD OF SINGLE BANKERS!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

(i'm so angry i have had to edit it a few time to get meh spelling right... i bet there are still mistakes)

Lance
28th January 2005, 07:15 PM
you would have thought that such an obvious discrepancy would have been redesigned befOre tooling was created instead of after. now Kutaragi, the supervisor of PSP console design, is performing a blatantly inadequate and unconvincing rearguard action in an attempt to impress us with the idea that it was all on purpose and that beauty and correct function are mutually exclusive, and that beauty of exterior form of a game machine is mOre important than the gameplaying function of a gameplaying machine. makes me madder everytime i think about it. [ceases thinking about it]

rather damning actual photographic evidence, Mobius. thanks

yawnstretch
28th January 2005, 07:58 PM
I've a PSP & I'm not worried.

If Wipeout Pure is the game I'm hoping for then all will be well. The PSP is a fantastic piece of equipment and it's the best platform for games I've ever seen in my life.

I play it every single day (I've had it since mid December 2004) and despite having a GBA SP with almost every game I havent played it since I got my PSP (which still only has the one game). I have a PS2 and a Gamecube and a games-capable PC. I have an immodest selection of wonderful games.

I play my PSP every day for at least an hour (on average probably much more). It's convenient, its beautiful and RidgeRacers (the only game I own so far) is a lot of fun.
I suppose I'm very lucky - my PSP has zero defects.

I've heard of people having one issue or another (dead pixels, weird square button or scratches). My downside was that I got ravaged for customs tax in Dublin (189 euro on top of the 450 I had already paid).

All in all - if you ask me, it's all worth it for the PSP and to have Wipeout coming out for it just plops a cake-sized cherry on top of the cake.

I havent heard of anyone (and I've talked to plenty of fellow-PSP owners) with d-pad issues. The d-pad is solid.

All of the above is my own opinion, but even if no one else bought a PSP and wipeout flopped I'd still be a happy gamer. It'd be like being the only one playing an early wipeout on the first playstation whilst everyone else on earth was playing fifa and knew nothing of wipeout. It'd still be fantastic for me.

Long Live Wipeout.
Long Live the PSP.

Mobius
28th January 2005, 08:37 PM
You've got a point there mate - cheers!

G'Kyl
28th January 2005, 08:56 PM
zargz: Yes, I got that! ;-)
OK, so the problem is that the font size in the editing window here on the WOZ is damn small. Which I don't have a problem with in general. Thing is, I have difficulties making out the text I am typing, and this leads to (more than) the occasional error. Anyway, doesn't really matter anyway. :)

Lance: Yep, that's exactely what I find so stupid about Sony's (or is it even officially Sony's?) comment: They have made a mistake and are too damn proud or whatever to admit it. Which isn't what bothers me yet. What I think is so ridiculous is that he sounds as if those who are now complaining are the guys who are being wrong, and that's just bad behavior and unacceptable at best.

yawnstretch: That's what I figured: For most players the problems will probably not be as apparent as they are being described. So I am keeping my hopes up that the PSP will still be worth its money for me.

Ben

Colin Berry
29th January 2005, 12:14 AM
Guys I'll be honest and I'm not just saying this, I've had my hands on several* PSPs and only one of them had something resembling this problem and that was one of the early dev kits and it was over a month before anyone actually noticed. So I think its both rare and insignificant.

5000 out of nearly a million returned is a very small % age, I'd guess less than ipods, playstation 2s, a new range of tvs etc.

If the problem does exist on all machines - I've not noticed it in the past 7 months (except that once when someone pointed it out on one specific machine) it certainly hasnt impacted on Wipeout, and I know it sounds like a company line, but I'm not lying. If people are worried, then check it out in the shops on launch day, or speak to people who have one already - yawnstretch has pointed out already his is fine !

large mountain out of something that isnt even close to being a molehill

*loads

Lance
29th January 2005, 12:55 AM
if it isn't a real problem, then it isn't, and Kutaragi should have said so, and quoted failure rates as you did, Colin, rather than accepting a statement of flawed machinery as correct and being foolish in 'justifying' the flaw by stating that the aesthetic choice was more important than making the machine to work properly. i hope it works perfectly, even though it appears from photos that only the extreme rightside edge of the button can activate the switch and therefore pressure must not be unbalanced toward the leftside of the button. if yawnstretch's example of the console is typical of the machines reaching retail customers, that will be great. i just wish the Sony rep had been thinking instead of rationalising/justifying/weaseling/arroganting [to coin a word? ;) ].

lucky for us that he isn't designing Pure, but you are. :)

Colin Berry
29th January 2005, 01:25 AM
if it isn't a real problem, then it isn't, and Kutaragi should have said so, and quoted failure rates as you did, Colin, rather than accepting a statement of flawed machinery as correct and being foolish in 'justifying' the flaw by stating that the aesthetic choice was more important than making the machine to work properly. i hope it works perfectly, even though it appears from photos that only the extreme rightside edge of the button can activate the switch and therefore pressure must not be unbalanced toward the leftside of the button. if yawnstretch's example of the console is typical of the machines reaching retail customers, that will be great. i just wish the Sony rep had been thinking instead of rationalising/justifying/weaseling/arroganting [to coin a word? ;) ].

lucky for us that he isn't designing Pure, but you are. :)

When I go in tomorrow I'll have a close look at our dev kit machines (which might not be the same as a final machine) and check.
I can honestly say if it does exist on all machines, we have not noticed, and I'd expect far more people to have complained. It has me puzzled because like you, I'd have expected a comment saying, its only a very small few, but the comment seemed to acknowledge it, but that confuses me cos if it was there i'd notice every day !
It might be there, but maybe its only noticable by super sensitive hands ! :P

I'll check tomorrow and update, it would amuse me if I got in and noticed it on my psp on my desk, cos it would show that the 'problem' is insignificant, cos i aint noticed it. But i honestly think i'll be typing a message on here confirming its not like that on my desk !

rejj
29th January 2005, 03:57 AM
I think his "admission" was more along the lines of "Yes, the sensor is off-center", not "Yes, it is broken".

He is likely saying that while it is off-center, it has no net effect on gameplay. It's still something I'd like to see for myself, though.

The Boye
29th January 2005, 05:32 AM
My downside was that I got ravaged for customs tax in Dublin (189 euro on top of the 450 I had already paid).

Maybe this will ease your pain

http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=left_sub&category=303&

My order just shipped this morning, should be here Mon/Tues. :D

The Boye
29th January 2005, 06:09 AM
Good prices for Memory Duos here

http://www.digimem.biz/Results.cfm?secondary=27

By March the 1 gigs are expected to half in price.

rejj
29th January 2005, 01:04 PM
Hmmm, lik-sang selling PSPs. that's dangerous ... for my bank account.
I just clicked everything I'd want without paying attention to any prices, and it tallied up to $1007.34 AUD. ouch.

I guess I can hold out for a domestic release, which will hopefully be cheaper.

yawnstretch
29th January 2005, 05:44 PM
My downside was that I got ravaged for customs tax in Dublin (189 euro on top of the 450 I had already paid).

Maybe this will ease your pain

http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=left_sub&category=303&

My order just shipped this morning, should be here Mon/Tues. :D

Cheeky ScottyBoy :!:
If online wipeout pure gets going consider yourself on top of my 'elimination' list :twisted:

The Boye
29th January 2005, 06:21 PM
:D

Rapier Racer
30th January 2005, 03:11 PM
and wipeout flopped

aargh, how dare you curse and swear like that :D

Asche XL
17th March 2005, 04:30 AM
http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3138532

The issue has been fixed!!

science
17th March 2005, 05:20 AM
I offer a counterexample: does the phrase "taco phone" mean anything to anyone? :wink:
http://sidetalking.com/
and anyone who is already familiar with that website, be sure to check out this advert: http://sidetalking.com/InteralUseOnly-ST.mov

eLhabib
17th March 2005, 11:47 AM
I know that site. Good point there ;)