PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Ideas

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chill
20th January 2005, 02:55 AM
- :D -
If anyone has any cool or unique ideas for a Wipeout game, feel free to share. Any track, craft, weapon, technology, music, or anything ralated to Wipeout of an idea, don't be intimidated to share. All ideas can be used by game developers to possibly come up with the first and mabye best community-developed Wipeout ever produced. Also see "Concepts and more concepts". :wink:

2SU
11th February 2005, 03:16 AM
Thought somebody might ask this question sooner or later.

I think the one thing that has stifled wipeout is the fact that I don't think that it is 'Epic' enough. By epic I mean Lord of the Rings was 'Epic'. You know - big beyond imagination, majestic and really, really involving.

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:26 AM
Well, how would you feel if you bought a Wipeout game that featured Harry Potter, Final Fantasy caracters, Lord of the Rings caracters, or other fantastic worlds. Along with flying along with magical crafts like a broom or a gummi ship (featured on Kingdom Hearts). Some things can't be. It has a totally different feeling to it than anything extremely fantastic. "Yes, I got the sword!" The sword would constanly club in front of the craft. "Yes, I cut off his dragon's tale!!"
--
Other than me being too mean (I'm super sorry, but that's what I believe :oops: ), what about Wipeout could make it Epic? :?

judus
11th February 2005, 04:36 AM
I have loads of wipeout concepts with plenty of detail but unfortunately i do not have webspace to put them on, but if anyone would not mind these images sitting in their space and can post the link on this forum, ill be more than happy to send them.

UncleZeiv
11th February 2005, 12:49 PM
:D This is like that Simpsons' episode where some children are asked about what would they change about Itchy and Scratchy!
"would you like them to deal with magic and fantasy worlds?" "yes!"
"would you like them to cope with every day problems?" "yes!"
:D

C'mon, the beauty of wipeout IS it's "dismal" atmosphere, at least for me... how could it ever be epic? Do you want battlefields where thousands of crafts face each other in a battle against evil? Naaah... :wink:

_dave_

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:06 PM
I agree with you UncleZeiv, but one way possibly to make it epic is for you to design you're character and craft before even being able to see the others racing you. You design your character, craft, and team. You have some kind of thing pushing you to race, like "your dad died doing it and you'd like to carry on the tradition" or "it's your fate, do it or die" kinda thing. I suppose you could pull it off, but a story line would have to come with. :wink:

Dimension
11th February 2005, 03:31 PM
Nah, I couldn't stand a version of wipEout like that, there are so many god awful japanese games working on the principle of an ultimate battle against evil and all that josh, it's cheesy and none too impressive after you've seen it done once. Besides, wipEout's a racing game, as in... about racing, not saving the world, not killing off the ultimate evil, but brain achingly fast, tight cornered, sweat laden controller making, driving bass laden breakbeat powered, near impossible chance of perfect racing, fascinating, single minded madness. Looky here at these dictionary descriptions:

epic: 1. long poem or story teling of achievements of hero or heroes

That sound like Wipeout? :?

epic: 2. film etc. about heroic deeds

That sound like Wipeout? :?

epic: 3. impressive, grand

That sound like wipeout? :D

I'd say wipEout's impressive and grand, it's 50+ years into the future, the greatest sporting event on the planet with technology greater than anything we'll even possibly have for a long, long time and the world of the future is fascinated with it... Yup, that sounds impressive and grand to me, don't pin the jappy epic cliché onto it, far too many great games and such have fallen by the wayside from efforts to fill that one, let's not have that happen to WO, eh? :wink:

Chill
11th February 2005, 04:35 PM
But it would be an alright idea to create your own pilot, craft, team, and mabye team history right? Mabye for the PS3? :? With more knowledge of Wipeout would mean more creativity. It would then be able to go online, and possibly be able to construct a track, ya? :wink:

Mobius
11th February 2005, 04:47 PM
have u heard how powerful the ps3 will be?

4ghz processor clock
and the gpu made by nVidia

expect wipeout ps3 to beh heuge! But lets hope that pure brings back the glory days tho eh?

zargz
11th February 2005, 05:05 PM
I have loads of wipeout concepts with plenty of detail but unfortunately i do not have webspace to put them on, but if anyone would not mind these images sitting in their space and can post the link on this forum, ill be more than happy to send them.Get a free account at http://geocities.yahoo.com/
15 Meg should be enough, right? 8)

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Lance
11th February 2005, 06:26 PM
read the Terms Of Service contract before getting ''free' webspace accounts. to compress it a bit, if you use one of those accounts, they have the right to use anything you put on there for any purpose they want. while this is intended primarily to give them the right to put adverts on your pages, to use your content as a lure to get people to see their advertising, the wording of the contract essentially gives them ownership of whatever you put on their servers. they can do anything with it, even sell the use of your drawings to someone else. whether they would ever bother to actually do such a thing is highly doubtful [and highly immoral], but legal as long as you give your implied consent by actually putting something on the server. your signature or explicit 'yes' is not necessary.

it did not stop me from having webpages on Angelfire, but it's still something you need to know and consider

G'Kyl
11th February 2005, 06:27 PM
But it would be an alright idea to create your own pilot, craft, team, and mabye team history right?

I don't think any of this fits an arcade racer like Wipeout. First of all, its perfect simplicity is what makes Wipeout what it is. And secondly, having any sort of character development in the game would distract from the racing part, and I wouldn't want that. I don't want to go through creating my own character before I can even start to fly. Let epic games be epic, they are good at it, but let Wipeout be Wipeout.

Ben

Chill
11th February 2005, 10:33 PM
I agree, I was just testing you, gease!! :lol:
Ya, Wipeout wouldn't be any good with a bunch of clowned out characters and odd-ball crafts. It's about who can fly the same craft better. Not only that, but there would probably be experts making perfect crafts. But I still think the idea of building a track in your own name is AWESOME!!!!!! :D :D

2SU
18th February 2005, 03:56 AM
Well, how would you feel if you bought a Wipeout game that featured Harry Potter, Final Fantasy caracters, Lord of the Rings caracters, or other fantastic worlds. Along with flying along with magical crafts like a broom or a gummi ship (featured on Kingdom Hearts). Some things can't be. It has a totally different feeling to it than anything extremely fantastic. "Yes, I got the sword!" The sword would constanly club in front of the craft. "Yes, I cut off his dragon's tale!!"
--
Other than me being too mean (I'm super sorry, but that's what I believe :oops: ), what about Wipeout could make it Epic? :?

That's not what I meant fcol! :P lol. What I was on about is that by Epic I mean like Gran Turismo epic not only epic in graphics standards, playability etc. - but epic in 'character' as well - the sort of game that sets a standard. (being fair that game was huge when it was released and is still a good play even now)

I've got a few images I've been working on recently but no working scanner :P I'll upload them when I have got one.(or a friends...)

Chill
18th February 2005, 04:38 AM
The word "Epic" means some kind of power or other form of something making somebody more powerful in some way. Look at all the Epic games, in most of them Magic is the epic's cause. This word was used in much Midieval Literature and in a lot of literature in the English Renaissance era. Just so you know (if you already know, don't worry about what I said). I really don't understand what you mean by epic characters in a racing game though. :?

Lance
18th February 2005, 12:14 PM
that is not my understanding of the word 'epic'. it is usually used to describe events on a huge scale, space or time, involving either large or small numbers of people, but making a significant and long-lasting change in history. think in terms of an epic battle [such as the fictional Battle of Pellenor Fields in the Lord of the Rings, or the real Battle of the Bulge in World War II] or an epic quest, such as the Quest for the Holy Grail in Arthurian legend. sometimes a small event of far more than average intensity and of high interest to a limited segment of the population is described as 'epic'. examples would be an especially difficult football championship, or an automobile race such as the 1927 24 hours of Le Mans. such small 'epics' do not truly have longterm significance to history, but in a small space and time to fans, they can seem epic even though they are not. but we love them and feel them to be a major part of our own lives.

mid
18th February 2005, 01:10 PM
What I was on about is that by Epic I mean like Gran Turismo epic not only epic in graphics standards, playability etc. - but epic in 'character' as well

Eeek. Gran Turismo has two massive things going for it:

1) Number of vehicles available for it, many of which are actually quite different (although there are insane numbers of near-identical Evos and Imprezas in the game)

2) Quality of the handling - the simulation of this is better than anything outside the PC.

One thing it definitely doesn't have, though, is character. It's mind-numbingly soulless; your opposition AI doesn't react to your driving well, their nameless cars are semi-randomly chosen from race to race, car models look like they've just rolled off the production line with personalisation largely limited to performance improvements you can make to your own car.

Wipeout is about racing. Every second spent not racing is a second wasted. So I don't want to watch cutscenes explaining some poorly-written plot, I don't want 18 different levels of menus to plug through in order to adjust my damper springs, and I don't want to spend an hour managing my team's finances in order to be able to purchase repairs.

Wipeout is already packed to the gills with character, but that character is in the way the AI moves, the look of the tracks, the soundtrack. When some Qirex bloke mines the hairpin's racing line, you want to smack him with a rocket for his trouble, not just nudge it into a spin and spend the rest of an overlong race like it's a timetrial.

G'Kyl
18th February 2005, 03:23 PM
that character is in the way the AI moves

I find I agree with everything you said, except the above. :) The thing is, I always thought the AI was the weakest part of the WO games, since AI ships more or less take their predetermined course around the track. WO3/SE, you may say, is something of an exception here, but then a little catch-up doesn't make up for the lack of being competitive.

Ben

mid
18th February 2005, 03:39 PM
They might in practice, but it doesn't feel that way as obviously when playing (to me, anyway). Watching the procession of 5 AI cars in Gran Turismo, all glued to the racing line with about 2 feet between their bumpers, doesn't give anything like the illusion of a race.

Chill
18th February 2005, 03:51 PM
A.I. in Wipeout Fusion has a certain piloting style (a good example would be Tigron raming ingo things), so I think this is important. Not only does it provide a good idea on how to use a craft to it's full potential, but also it gives the game a more of a realistic approach.
--
Since good ol' Lance cleared epic up for me, I thought that races should be huge and expansive (like on a race track around space) with many contenders. Just take a visit to Fusion's site and imagine, it's awesome!! But I don't think it should make a big defference in the future, because their would be a huge population exesting then. Would they all be drawn to Wipeout? I don't think so, they'd probably have plenty of other things to worry about. And into the fusure, so many races would have taken place, that it would become more like horse races on TV-not very popular. But I believe very much in the large expansion... :wink:

Lance
18th February 2005, 08:40 PM
a race through space with planets marking the turns. not a bad idea, though not a Wipeout idea. i saw somehing like this on a Doctor Who episode. it did have a certain epic feel to it. [it was during the Tom Baker years, probably the last one or two of his 'seasons']

Chill
19th February 2005, 04:11 AM
Wipeout can have mystic with this type of game. For example, you can come upon clouds and worm portals, and other things unknown to scirentists now. Things can effect flight, weapon control, and many other things.
--
However, I came up with a thought for a track on Earth: flying through the riuns of an old church. Huh, huh? Whataya think? :wink: Any other ideas, please post, everyone!!!! :D

Chill
25th February 2005, 04:53 PM
Alright, I came up with an awesome idea!! You know how we spoke of a Wipeout game through space (motivated by Wipeout Fusion's official site)? Well, how about a game set way in the future that had cities in space? You'd race through the darkness, combining space with cities, and you'd race from and between cities? This game would go online of-course, and the weapons wouldn't be of this world. Their would be things like draining the energy of a star for repair or weapon use. This game would obviously be good for the PS3, ya? Perhaps pilots would have to start out at a very young age, having their heads hooked up to a simulator/educator for most of their early lives. Thoughts? :P

G'Kyl
25th February 2005, 05:22 PM
Sound good, but not like Wipeout. ;) I find I am not a fan of weapons and technology that are too far out to wrap my mind around. I prefer stuff I am, even if to a lesser degree, familiar with. Draining energy from stars and riding through vast space therefore wouldn't be what I am looking for. Also, Wipeout, to me, always had a very earthy touch. I wouldn't want to see this changed really.

Ben

Sausehuhn
25th February 2005, 05:33 PM
I ever though about a track in a ruined city. After the next ice age. Flying over the subway and also over the highway. All around you is snow, the buildings are damaged, in the air are flying some birds.
The craft is making snow dust and the rockets destroying old cars which are under the snow.
You fly over a huge bridge that is standing in a big, frozen lake and you can't see the end of the city at the horizon.

>>> http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/wipeoutfusion/wofconcept4.jpg

But I'm just dreaming... :roll:

Shem
25th February 2005, 09:11 PM
Oh man...

Ice ages, flying on other planets, space-age technology, epic feel.....

Who still remembers Altima VII starting gird, with the crowds cheering, and your AG craft levitating over the track? Isn't THAT what AG racing is about?.... :roll:

Thruster2097
25th February 2005, 09:36 PM
preach on, brother shem!
that is the essence of wipeout.

Asayyeah
25th February 2005, 09:47 PM
and your AG craft levitating over the track? Isn't THAT what AG racing is about?.... :roll:
Oh yes definitely !!

Chill
25th February 2005, 10:09 PM
I definately understand your thoughts, G'Kyl. I knew where you got the idea before I even saw the picture, Sausehuhn. :wink:
--
I still think it would be nice to make a Wipeout with some epic feel to it, ya? I think all possibilities should be considered. I have an idea for an Earthly feel track though:
It's a very wet landscape, water drips off of (watcha call one of those Pentagon/hexagon/whatever things that you sit in, that have a roof?), anyway, the water would be dripping off of that, which is made of a dark wood, and is worn down, which is suited up on a large steep hill, and the landscape is rich in greenery and overgrown. The only thing which effects this peace is the slight futuristic-sound of the humming of your crafts engine. Birds are at peace, and clouds lie low. The track twists around the the peaceful scenery and through the fog.
I still think that every idea should be considered, and Earthly feel can take place on other planets (so you really wouldn't loose all the Earthly feel) because you would visit the other planets from the dipping down into their atmosphere. Thoughts? :wink:

Sausehuhn
26th February 2005, 10:10 AM
I'm also not a fan of tracks in space stations etc. That is to crazy for WipEout. But I like Katmoda 12 and Devilia, both were on other planets, and in my opinion they did look like WipEout, not like a sci-fi-action-movie.

I think the ice age track is also not as bad as you say, Shem. It would be a quiet place, a cold atmosphere, really cool. Not just like action and so on. I think it would be nice.

But, everyone has it's own thinking. I like the idea of a track like it is at this picture and you like a different style. And that is totally okay! :)

zargz
26th February 2005, 10:17 AM
so racers go thru a time crack and race and then come back??! :?
nah! C'mon!
better locate the track in the north pole > that'd make more sence! kinda like silverstream was in Greenland.
even a track on the moon is stretching it! :|

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Chill
26th February 2005, 04:48 PM
Nah, I honestly don't think so. What happens when Wipeout has to be placed way in the future, when the Earth's space is nearly all taken over? What then?
Space flight is alright. And who sais Wipeout on Earth is the only Wipeout that exists? :? Wipeout's idea came mainly from the style of the race, not everything else, that was just to make the game better, but we shouldn't be stuck on it!! We should move on, onto other ideas. You never know, it could get better. I just don't want Wipeout to be past up by some other racing game who has all the freedom to use any idea given to them, U know? :wink:

Dimension
27th February 2005, 03:49 AM
I always figured wipeout style AG racing was just like an evolved form of earthbound motor racing... with weapons. It would just take over where motor racing left off and I honestly wouldn't expect to see an F1 race in the middle of space or between space cities or whatnot 8O Uh, yeah I always thought the real magic of wipEout came from something as far out as flying ships in a very real world or at least believable earthy environment, meh, guess that's just me :roll:

Chill
27th February 2005, 04:01 AM
Well, Wipeout Fusion was very much like nascar racing or more like a self moved, weapon built rollercoaster race!!! This is because of the suction of the tracks. The bouncing effect is very important!! Mabye later on they can come up with an elastic type of bounce (which they seem to be getting closer to), or other types. These I believe are very much the essence of Wipeout's type of atmosphere. In Fusion, you hardly get to experiance it because of the suction!!!! It needs to be more like a dance (or, one of my interests, Boxing) where you move fast and seem as light as air. One thing Wipeout is very famous for is bringing humans closer to the atmosphere and away from gravity, so to make that enjoyable, it's fun to use it as much as possible, and NOT be sucked to the track!!!! This state of euphoria is more important than the graphics. This is the state of euphoria a real Wipeout game would build it's base upon. At least that's what I think! :wink: Next would come weapon control and logo design along with graphics. :D
--
Boxing is very similar to Wipeout: "Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee". Is this not what you do in Wipeout? 8)

TMoney
27th February 2005, 05:25 AM
I've always loved the idea of a Wipeout based RPG...

There's been such great care in creating the Wipeout universe... it's a world in itself..

I mean imagine being a sort of freelance pilot in that universe... sort of climbing the ranks going from city to city while taking on some other larger purpose at the same time...

Like FFX but instead of whatever that waterdome sport was, Wipeout racing and more of an emphasis on that.

You could be exploring a city and suddenly realize a race is going on while you're doing whatever it is you're doing... Anyone play the beginning of Knights of the Old Republic? Remember the first city you land on? Imagine that kind of scope... but with races taking place in the backround... betting on them... so many things could be done..

You could battle with all kinds of futuristic weapons... there could be 'handheld' versions of the weapons you use in the game.. imagine getting a handheld quake weapon in the game for the RPG style battles... There could be cross-over's in the design.. same targeting reticle in the race as there is in the RPG style battles...

The story could have something to do with preventing some sort of global terror attack.. Maybe the people on mars hate earth... or preventing a war someone is trying to start... finding a loved one who's lost... I mean there are literally hundreds of potentially great stories to tell in a world like they've created here.

I think PS3 would have the power to tell it ;)

Shem
27th February 2005, 10:58 AM
Uh, yeah I always thought the real magic of wipEout came from something as far out as flying ships in a very real world or at least believable earthy environment, meh, guess that's just me :roll:

It's not just you - I think just the same way. Maybe the ideas of tracks settled in post ice-age come out of the fact that some of us pilots started their Wipeout journey (sounds nice, huh?) from Wipeout Fusion, i don't know. I do consider Wipeout a natural consequence of racing as we know it, that's why Wipeout 1 has so many elements, that just FIT the whole idea of AG Racing (i'd consider weapons a necessity, because it's a game, and weapons DO make racing more entertaining). I don't see why tracks which are based in space, asteroids, or different planets would be better for the crowds watching it (yeah, think of the crowds on Mars watching a race). It would be more fun to fly the craft on Mars (i'll just stick to that) because you - as a player - would like to fly on Mars, it would be more fun to fly there, as well as on the ice-age tracks. But considering Wipeout a somewhat 'real' race, that can happen i don't know why to go that far.
The other thing is, that i don't see the need of going over the edge with the ideas for new Wipeout. It just takes a little effort to come up with a briliant idea, wchich would be more reasonable than draining the energy from stars. Take WO2097 tracks for example. Gare d Europa is a track, on Earth, in France (or Canada, i don't remember exactly), with trains, tunnels, great atmosphere. Designers didn't have to go for stars and other planets to make this one a classic. Talon's Reach - a short, industrial track, filled with pipes, proppelers, and all that stuff. It could be placed in a abandonded factory plant, adapted for AG racing league. Again, no need for cosmic devices, and twisted-upside-down rollercoasters. And it's a classic. These are only my ideas, you might not agree with me, it's just my point of view.

Chill
27th February 2005, 05:50 PM
But considering Wipeout a somewhat 'real' race, that can happen i don't know why to go that far. (far in location)
Talon's Reach - a short, industrial track, filled with pipes, proppelers, and all that stuff. It could be placed in a abandonded factory plant, adapted for AG racing league.
--
Well, I do agree with you very much with the unrealistics of these kind of ideas; however, I tried to make the epic idea feel twisted. OK, you know how the system would over-rule the power of man. For example, the Halocaust. I'm not saying it'll be as near as bad as that, it's just that all the people have to follow an extremely strict system (like in the movie VHX-1138) when technology is so powerful, it governs man. Now, picture a world where pilots are tought through a big machine, and the crowds would simply watch the race through a machine (which makes it seem very real), then their would be no need to have crowds, the system wouldn't allow it. I know it's going to far, but I just thought I'd share an idea with all of you. It'd be more like Wipeout 1 (the type of atmosphere, that is). A very mystical, epic, dark type of world. That is when you'd race through space cities and other planets, it's the future's point of view on nature. :)

yawnstretch
27th February 2005, 06:02 PM
Who knows - maybe in the near future all the videogame genres will begin to merge. :idea:
Extremely complex games where a character can wander around a city and turn the game into a sim-style game a robbery/spy game or a racing game...

I dont see why the racing parts of wipeout couldnt be included in an RPG style game. Imagine a game where all your favourite game engines work together. It's starting to go that way with free-roaming games like GTA anyway. (I hate switching between different games that I love - it would be great if the same character could move seemlessly between different game styles rather than booting up an rpg, then a racer, then a crime game).

I always liked the atmosphere in Splinter-Cell. I'd love to be a spy breaking into another team's warehouses/labs/factories to steal some engine technology that would increment my own ship for the next race 8)

G'Kyl
27th February 2005, 07:46 PM
yawnstretch: Honestly, as long as we are talking near future, I don't see various complete GAMES merge into one. There will be elements from certain genres, yes, and maybe a few decades in the future we will see what you describe. Yet for the time being games are expensive to produce, which also elimintes most of the innovative attempts from (mostly) smaller developers. Look at how EA, Take2 and UBI are making money with their releases... Hence, I am pretty sure that the common genre mix is all we are going to get anytime soon - as much as I regret this.

Chill: I never ever got to terms with the idea of a game propagating a world where what I do as a player is only a simulation in itself. It somehow takes the emotional impact out of the content. I want to feel what I do COULD be real. I actually want to BE that hero, rescuing the world and stuff. And yes, part of what I like about racing games is that I AM the successful pilot winning the championships. :)

Ben

Chill
27th February 2005, 08:17 PM
yawnstretch: I always thought that it would be awesome to play a game like GTA, but set into the future. Hyjacking flying cars, shooting out people with all kinds of gadgets, it would be awesome!! :wink:
--
Ben: Well, if you feel that way, I'm sure others do also. Oh well, just an idea! :D

infoxicated
28th February 2005, 07:48 AM
yawnstretch: I always thought that it would be awesome to play a game like GTA, but set into the future. Hyjacking flying cars, shooting out people with all kinds of gadgets, it would be awesome!! :wink:
That's pretty much what they tried to do with Jack and Daxter 2. I'd like to see GTA try it, though. Not something mega distant in the future, just near future, like the style of Demolition Man for the nicer areas, and the Blade Runner style for the innercity bits. :)

Dimension
28th February 2005, 12:22 PM
I dunno if I could vouch for an RPG with racing elements in, the mini-games in FF always annoyed the hell outta me, plus I don't like the overly happy, goodly and whatnot idea of saving the world, its people and everything everywhere, just too cheesy an idea and there's no style in that to speak of. Now if it were based in the wipeout universe and it were based in the war of attrition between Qirex and Auricom (Qirex: take advantage of AG, Auricom: don't) and you could choose which side to be on with the eventual effect of landing a massive blow on the enemy, now that I could vouch for! :D

*Contently runs around in circles waving a Qirex flag like a tosser*

Chill
28th February 2005, 03:08 PM
I dunno if I could vouch for an RPG with racing elements in, the mini-games in FF always annoyed the hell outta me, plus I don't like the overly happy, goodly and whatnot idea of saving the world, its people and everything everywhere, just too cheesy an idea and there's no style in that to speak of.
Ya!!! :P All those Final Fantasy games seem like that, and most games related. Like Star Ocean, I bought if for about $60.00, and man, what a rip off!!! It was so cheesy it's pathetic. Thank god the game got a little better about 5 hours down the road!! But still, it seemed like work to like the game. Anything that requires a lot of work to like, I don't like!!!! Wipeout demanded some work, but it gave a lot more in return than FF or SO does!!
--
This idea of a war sounds a lot like Halo. :wink: But I don't know, something like GTA in the movie 5th element's timeline would seem fun to me. Flying around, crashing into and jumping onto other flying cars, running away from the police (who can to tons of stuff to you to make it almost impossible for escape). Perhaps you could take over a craft in a Wipeout competition somewhere? It would seem like a good game for the PS3, ya? Online capability? 8)
--
Infoxxy: Ya, that's why I put the word 'gadgets' in their. :wink:

Sausehuhn
28th February 2005, 03:13 PM
I just would like to know how it really is when you're sitting in an AG-craft. How the handling is. And of course the feeling. That would be enough for me. Maybe (but I don't think so) we will find a way to make AG-crafts in the future (in the next 50 years or what ever). Then we will be able to feel the feeling we all want to feel ;)

Chill
28th February 2005, 03:18 PM
(but I don't think so)
I wouldn't say such a thing:

http://www.appliedelectrogravitics.com/

This technology could combine with magnetic technology, ya? 8)

Sausehuhn
28th February 2005, 03:57 PM
I know magnetic technology, but I don't think in near future we will have around the world magnetic streets. I meant a craft with its own anti-gravity-field. Like it is in WipEout 8)

Chill
28th February 2005, 04:18 PM
No, this beamship on the site I posted doesn't lift with a magnet under it. It just lifts by itself!!! It uses electricity already in the air to pull itself up (and notice at has no moving parts), at least that's what I think. :wink: 8)

Sausehuhn
28th February 2005, 04:36 PM
Okay Chill, you've won ;)

Here is another idea. not mine but really good :D ;)

>>> http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/sonstiges/wipeout.ad.jpg
>>> http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/sonstiges/Wipeout_300x256.jpg

Chill
28th February 2005, 04:43 PM
Wow, awesome picture!!!! 8O How'd they do that? Is it a model (not sure because of the sky and lighting), or is it a computerized image? Mabye this is what graphics will be like in the future?!!!!! :D I'd certainly like to make a model like that!! :wink:

Sausehuhn
28th February 2005, 05:28 PM
No, that is a computer made picture. A long time ago you also could see it at www.stopthetrack.co.uk , but the site is offline :(

There was some animation (shaddows flew over the track) and you also heard AG-engines.
And yes, I also would like to have such graphics in the next WipEout... maybe on PS3? :D

Chill
1st March 2005, 01:32 AM
silaris posted something very helpful in the Forum: "The Real Thing?" It provides a lot of info on Anti-Gravity research. If you're interested in the beamship, check out this site:

http://www.americanantigravity.com/beamship.html

Now, back to the topic. I think if they do make game index games for the PS3, they should make all the Wipeout games (including the first one) with a little extra touch of online capability if they can. :roll:

Chill
9th March 2005, 04:35 AM
Sorry to double-post, but I just saw a movie very closely related to the idea of flying through space motivated by Wipeout Fusion's afficial site. I just watched the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Stanly Kubrick, a movie meant to be set in the year 2001. Towards near the end of the movie, it showed pictures through space, some real, and some science fiction. The sounds along with that and the start of your journey through the ground-lit house can very much relate with the sounds in Wipeout Fusion's main site. It gives that epic feeling, along with a lot more that I can't really seem to explain. Perhaps a word exists somewhere I don't know about. Anyway, if you've ever seen this movie, or would like to, you should check it out. Some of the odd-ball figures in space can be placed very well within the work of a Wipeout through space. Just something to imagine. :wink:

zargz
9th March 2005, 08:41 AM
I've both read the Book(does anyone do that anymore?) and seen the movie!
strange thing about space movies is that there's allways classic music when it comes to Space!
seems to be the only music that fits to the grandiosity and endlessness of Deep Space!
> star wars, star treck and so no. have you thought about that? ;)

Rapier Racer
9th March 2005, 10:44 AM
read books? of course not, I'm too busey playing games and watching TV for that, the last book I looked at was a PS1 cheat book,

Chill
9th March 2005, 03:12 PM
I read books, but mostly do school work, so I haven't really had much time to read as much as I've wanted to. You're very right, it does have a lot of classic music throughout the movie (so much that it gets on you nurves :wink: ), but the part I'm looking at is near the end. I'm sure you know the part I'm speaking of (u-no, when it shows the eyeball of different colors as it shows space, as if their's some kind of connection/relation) Well, the figures of space are what I'm trying to get at. It's great that you guys have seen the movie, now do you know what I'm trying to say? For example, let's just take that odd-looking sun (the one with huge loops compared to it's size that's more close to being red than yellow, if you can remember that well). Imagine racing, and then noticing it right their in your face!! Like you've just turned to view it, and it's huge. You'd experience many things like this (looking up to imagine it with the sound of Wipeout's official site). Now, I know I'm heavy on the sounds of the official site, but I really think they have incredible potential. :D

Lance
9th March 2005, 04:37 PM
hm... i coulda sworn i posted a reply this morning just before i went to work, but it's not here. maybe i hit the wrong button. anyway.....

zargz, i think you mean 'grandeur' instead of 'grandiosity'. unless you're making an ironic joke, of course. :) you do that sometimes. :D

classical music is symphony orchestra music, lots of players tend to automatically produce music of a grand character. throw in a big chorus and you have grandeur blasting out the exhaust..
a couple of guys with synths just don't tend to produce the same feeling.

i read the book, too.
in 1968. same year i first saw the movie. it explained some of what was ambiguous or simply puzzling in the film

zargz
9th March 2005, 11:56 PM
grandeur .. yet another french word!
thanks Lance! now i have to find out how to pronounce it :D

Anonymous
16th March 2005, 09:36 AM
Only idea is to return to the arcade style and remove the mod aspect.

TZ

phase 2
29th March 2005, 04:57 AM
In my oppinion the first track in the original wo game is awsome. If I were to desine my own track it whould have more steep hills and loops fore climbing with speed pads and huge jumps that suspend your craft gracefully into the air to give you that oprah aaww feeling like when spiderman is webb slinging
in the movie seeing a beutiful multi colored sky line in the horizen,skyscrapers or the sky changing colors and then projecting a weapon into the distence to break thrue a billboared only to drop into a track to hear the croud roar louder as you get closer to them.fore example pick up speed in a steep hill to be projected thrue the air to a higher platform thrue a loop as your speed triples in an exstreem amount over the speed pads coming out of the loop at an insane speed to be projected into the air once again wile
taking in the breath taking seenery to be dropped into the track at full speed into a snaking transparent tunnel whould be ideal fore me.Cant wait to be able actualy creat what I have been visualising.

Chill
29th March 2005, 03:14 PM
Cant wait to be able actualy creat what I have been visualising.
Are you going to go to school for Graphic Engineering and get into game design? If so, take everyones ideas seriously. Don't forget to view this site and take whatcha need. That's what it's here for, to get the closest possible to Wipeout, and have a voice to speek the the creators. Even if you don't know who they are, they're probably thinking of your Ideas, so don't be surprised if they pop out in a new Wipeout later on down the road. Then again, don't be surprised if they don't.
btw: A simulation: I had this idea too, and now that I think of it, speeding around turns, while just inches from the walls, feeling the jult of speed and the power of turns, it just seems so wonderful. But I'd like it better if it were reality. :wink:

Lance
29th March 2005, 07:50 PM

WTF!?
who is the poster, ''Guest'' three posts back and 13 days ago?
since when can a non-member post on the WZ?

and why didn't this post just hit me in the eye before?
!!!!!!
8O

phase 2
30th March 2005, 04:24 AM
another one of my track ideas whould be picking up speed down a steep hill with lots of speed pads turning into an upward steep hill also with plenty of speed pads taking a virticle jump off the track into higher elevated short distent tunnel curving around a rite hand turn with the bottem of the a-g craft facing the the left hand side of the wall coming out of the rite hand turn stratening out wile exiting the tunnel into the blue sky and thrue some clouds thier whould be no track undernieth you until you level out on a small strip of floating track on this small part you whould hover over some more speed pads that
whould send you strate into a drop in front of the cheering croud. After passing by the
bleechers the track whould know start bending left into a mini cork screw that whould
have a small lip at the end fore the jump that whould project your craft into mid air over a
dead rusted out hover craft junkyard after succelfully balancing out the ship on to the next part of the course. You whould now come into another rite hand turn at this point
the track whoud know start to bend into what whould start out to be a loopty loop slitely slanted on its side. As you fly thrue the loop it changes dementions as you come of the end of the loop whould lip and the course whould be stratend out as you take the last jump in the corse you whould now drop into a strate away picking up weapons the
crowd cheering loudly from both sides of the bleechers. zipping by ahead into a tunnel(all sound in the game should now be hollow & eckoed) heading down and to the rite then winding left still going downward at this time the course should flatten out into a strate as the tunnel whould turn tranparent you chould now be surounded by water on the out side of the tube(now all sound in the game should be filterd and subdude to a minimum niose level)past the water part of the tunnel.Tunnelshould be back to its origanal state as you entered it.reapeating the same turning pattern down and to the rite turning left still headed downward.Exiting the tunnel into a rite hand turn with some well placed speed pads followed by a short strate and then the final left hand turn into a long strate.Here I whould attempt something never done in any w.o. game before. if your ship is not already loaded with a weapon from hear on out you whould pick up is nothing but turbo
I whould cover the tracks wall to wall with speed pads followed by more turbo pick ups
then wall to wall again with speed pads(this part of the track whould be perfect fore the new strafing side to side feature.) once again being appluaded by the very loud fans in the bleechers as you cross the finish line.(maybe the uniq turbo feater is a little to much to ad and mite not work.) because the option of other weapons pick ups in this part of the track chould be a key factor from here on in. Fore example: cloaking or missil locks.
Every thing I just wrote whould make fore a perfect end part of a course.
I visioned this to have the look of some features from altima or teramax, Tunnels chould have low liting and reflect colors of the ship like they usualy do.I whould probibly name the course Insom16 as in insomnia 1600 hour a.m. and still playing w.o.IF DEVOLOPERS CHOULD BRING THESE IDEAS TO LIFE THIS WHOULD BE NATURAL BLISS.

phase 2
30th March 2005, 05:15 AM
Hey chill I have dibbled and dabbled in the comercial arts department
before but never graphic engineering. I am a hiphop DJ and one of my friends is an animator and he sets
up liting fore raves and techno showes. Musicians and artis go hand in hand
thats why this game works so well together. A DJ who blends thier own music or produces his/her own musical tracks chould probly figure out why a wipe out track is layed out like it is.I look at wipe like gaffiti fore some one who plays duck hunt and has little to no gaming expirience mite not understand the beutie and complexitie of this game.To the untrained naked eye it chould be passed off as jibberish.I hope to learn graphic engineering in the neer future if I can just creat what I visualize.Not neerly as
easy as it sounds but HOPEFULY THE DEVELOPORS OF THE GAME WILLl COME OUT WITH A TRACK DESINER FORE FUTURE WIPE OUT GAMES. If they dont already have one fore pure.

Lion
30th March 2005, 11:06 AM
I thought it would be cool to put neons on the ships and lower them with hiphop playing in the background.
I'm still trying to workout where on the ships the spinners should go
[/sarcasm]

phase 2
30th March 2005, 12:50 PM
lol oh man this whould truely butcher the series how cheesie whould that be. From an artisic stand piont just trying to say how I visualise things in my head.Know maybe people probibly think um clinicly insane and I have lost all my marbles know.wipe out???
HipHop? :? :cry: Should not evan be mentioned in the same sentence.Chould you imagine wipe out dub edition lol :lol: (EXUSE ME WHILE I PUKE)Whould be a sad day in video game history besides I chouldn't see Kel Solaar whering a gold rope chain (LAUGH) :lol: oh man oh man lets just end this subject this is way to out of hand.I must have been extreemly tired when I rote that post.Hold on my stomick doesn't feel to well. :oops:

mid
30th March 2005, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry; did EA just buy the W'O" license?

phase 2
30th March 2005, 01:05 PM
no you'll have to scroll up and read my previos post um just a babbling mooron.
I probibly should be lined up and shot at.please viod my nonsence as stupidity.

Chill
30th March 2005, 03:30 PM
um just a babbling mooron.
I probibly should be lined up and shot at.please viod my nonsence as stupidity.
Relax, people!!!! 8O This is Wipeout Ideas, and if someone has ideas that would ruin the game series, ya myaswell put it, and hear all the arguments fly atchya. No, Wipeout wouldn't go good with all the hippn' out style, because this game isn't only for teens. It's played by all age groups, so it should stay civilized. I also wouldn't see the beauty in this, as hip-hop is very strict with it's type of atmosphere (which is dark and hard), and Wipeout isn't like that. So non of this would go together to me, sorry. Mabye you could prove me wrong down the future... :)

I think I could blabber on too. A track that would be set on a differant planet. You'd start out in a large wheat field (that would blend a green and yellow color as the wind blew waves into it), and the sun rise would be bright. Your craft would come together in mid-air with the use of magnetic technology. The starting point would be high above the track (in mid-air), high enough to see the sunrise ahead of you behind some green and white on top (because of snow) mountains, and butterflies and bees and such would be alive and flying all over (your anti-gravity shield would prevent the flyers from hitting into you). A song clearing your senses (as if it were actually morning) would be playing, and the crowd would be high up on woodn' posts in seats on the left(this woodn' machinery would move down once the crafts would drop from mid-air and start flying on the track), and once it was time to go, you'd blast through that beautiful sky only to fall down. Ahead of you, the very thing disrupting this straight would be a large amount of sharp turns one after the other in a zig-zagged pattern, and then once you get throught this, you'd hit a load of speed-up pads, only to fall down a cliff that you had never seen. this would lead down into a huge ditch in the ground, and you would fly flips and twists around all kinds of machinery, but once you reached a certain point pointing to the sky, a machine would propell you miles up into the blue sky. Their you would meet with the other side of the vertical jump, and you'd fly for the mountains and streams and waterfalls (because of the melting snow).
Anyway, that's about as far as I've got. The only specific part is the very start. Any thoughts? :wink:

phase 2
31st March 2005, 03:14 AM
Hey chill your track desine is awsome it is still standing out in my head rite know. I didn't focus on to much envirement detaile in my course but I chould have and had thought of some great ideas in the passed. As far as the coment you quoted me on I was being sarcastic.
Not to dwell on the whole hiphop thing I was going on 8:30 a.m in the mourning with out sleep seeing that I never usualy have time to post anything because of my scedgual.
I relised what I was talking about was into left field and way off the w.o. subject. My earlier above comments were misunderstood and it was never my in tent to put any thing hiphop related into a wipe out game or remotely close to it seeing that they are too different worlds and whould not work together at all.

phase 2
31st March 2005, 03:42 AM
chill quoted me on my sarcasm a little humor never hurts at times. :wink:

Chill
31st March 2005, 04:17 AM
OFF TOPIC:
Well, of course!!! :lol: I knew you were being sarcastic, I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't knock your ideas, as it could not get you as far as if you were more confident, of course, I could just be blabn' nonsense if you already knew this and were just messn' with me. :wink: Thanx a lot for your positive opinion on my idea, the starting point was actually in a dream I had about Wipeout Fusion before I knew how bad it was. It was before I had the PS2. :oops: Shows how much I knew about the out-put of the PS2 and how well fusion would be. I'm happy to say, your a really friendly person. It's nice to have you, you've given me the most positive energy throughout my member history, just so you know. :wink:

Lance
31st March 2005, 12:22 PM
that's because the two of you are very similar to each other

RJ O'Connell
31st March 2005, 07:25 PM
A "Wipeout Legends" game wouldn't sound all that bad. Race against Belmondo, Solaar, Tetsuo, Sartwell, Senand, and the like...yes, I did say Sartwell and Senand.

Lance
31st March 2005, 07:56 PM
i like it.
might be difficult to implement in an official game version for release to the general public, but i still like the idea

Chill
1st April 2005, 02:21 AM
Since they don't have it on Pure (and correct me if I'm wrong on that statement), I think they should have a zone mode that everyone could enter all at once. They wouldn't get to be on the same track as each other, but they'd get to have a run, and last as long as possible. In the end, all the time's would come out on a table format, so you wouldn't know if you were the last one racing or not.

feiyen
5th April 2005, 10:09 PM
I've got an idea for the Soundtrack...
a rate-system to change the random song on a personal playlist.

For example, if i like "Plump DJs - Black Jack 3" i can rate it 5/5 stars, and if i don't like "Aphex Twin - Naks Acid" i rate it 1/5. Now, a system read these ratings and increases the % that Black Jack 3 can be played.

So if i rate 5 black jack, 3 ignition and 1 naks acid, the % are 60% - 40% - 10% or something like that.... :P

Chill
5th April 2005, 10:53 PM
That's a good idea!! :wink: What about an online Wipeout that plays music once around and if you like something, buy it right then and their, and use it for your own personal use and for the game alone. You could also share music, but you'd have to buy it off of each other, free music wouldn't fly. Your idea is much more believable, though!! Mabye you could set what songs you like to go with what racing tracks, so that if a race track has a certain feel to it, add some music that can go along with it, ya? :P This would play to it all the time, leaving out all the off-track music. So if you, for example, played in a dark city-like atmosphere, the music would be set at a different mood than if you would be playing in a sunny happy-like atmosphere. :wink:

feiyen
5th April 2005, 11:40 PM
also your idea is good! :)

phase 2
8th April 2005, 11:52 PM
Another good idea Chill. As fore Lance I do agree with you that this maybe a bit
difficult to implement into to the series though. If you guys have not already heard
one of the official game desighners of the wipe out Pure game has posted a blog over
at www.1up.com his name is MARTIN LINKLATER you can post reply's to his blog. I will post this as A new topic so that more people know on A brodder spectrum.

Lance
9th April 2005, 12:55 AM
somebody else beat you to it several hours ago, but you posted a new topic about it anyway. please search the forums before posting. i am about to delete the duplicate topic

Chill
9th April 2005, 01:23 AM
Ya, I already saw this in another topic, as Lance has said, sorry. :wink: But I'd like to enter ideas for a more safe conversation than have everyone soak up all my ideas. I'm sure this has already happened in these forums, but at least I know everyone's serious in these forums, and I like everyone here. :P So posting them here is fine with me.
:-]God, I wish I could help design a Wipeout!! :P [-:

phase 2
7th May 2005, 07:15 PM
Another idea fore future wo's In the wo PURE game I think it would be kind of cool if at the end of the races A holagram wumans face could pop up to go along with the narators vioce it should be tranparent like the ghost ships and maybe statiky giving you your final break down and etc etc. Seeing that wipe out is the sport of the future she would be similar to an espn style sports anouncer.Giving the goods on races and stuff.Maybe a replay feature or high lites from key moments in the race would be cool. This would tie the story line factore in a little bit more. I vision this wuman to be cyborg looking similar to the lead pilot of the Pirana Craft in w.o. FUSION. maybe caucation with blueish silvery eyes. As I know some wipe out pilots don't care about the story line at all and obviosly just the races this feature could be optional to turn off and on.

Chill
7th May 2005, 09:11 PM
Umm, so let me try to understand. Some woman's face comes up upon your windshield like a television? Ya, but what is she gonna say? I'm lost. :(

[Edit]: Gotta!! Sounds interesting. :wink:

Lance
7th May 2005, 10:13 PM
she's going to be '' giving you your final break down''. in other words, giving you the results, race positions, lap times, race times, etc.

{remember the advice i gave you in the pm? relax. let the message sink in before starting a reply.}

Sausehuhn
8th May 2005, 02:33 PM
For the next WipEout (hopefully a PS3 launch title) I've so many ideas and wishes in my head.

- I would LOVE to have different levels. I mean you start with simple and finish with hard. I don't mean the speed classes, I mean "challenge" classes. I hate it to overlap the other ships. A higher level could change that!
- Tracks. Lots of tracks. Not just 12 or so, I want 20 or 30 or what ever. And they must be good designed. Good atmospheres! Like at Florion Height, or Stanza Inter. Totally different atmospheres and designes, but wonderful... would like a track in the dark sea. Like the planet in Star Wars Ep III where the clones are made.
- A good soundtrack
- Faster that the actual games (don't know about Pure, haven't played it yet). WO3 is just really fast with Icaras and in Fusion just at Mandrashee (and at this super fast shortcut at Vohl Square 2)
- good, really good graphics. Real graphics. Graphics like I've seen at (maybe faked) PS3 pics
>> http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/608/608242/2-days-to-vegas-20050428111818510.jpg
- Eg.r :lol:

For the moment that's it. Be sure there are a few more thing in my head I've forgotten :dizzy

Dogg Thang
8th May 2005, 03:26 PM
Well I disagree with your second point. I think less is more works perfectly with WO. The reason is that I find WO to be at its best when your laps are instinctive - you know the tracks so well that it is about perfect racing, not worrying about whether there is a left or right turn at the end of a straight. That is very difficult with lots of tracks and it becomes like a rally game where you are tackling the layout as you go along.

I think that too many tracks, and certainly multiple routes, was one of the major flaws in Fusion.

I'm intrigued by your first point though - what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that you only race certain tracks at certain levels?

Mobius
8th May 2005, 03:54 PM
I think he is reffering to Challenge mode on fusion...

...are you?

Sausehuhn
8th May 2005, 04:08 PM
no. I don't know how to say it in english :oops:
I will try again:
It would be great if it would be possible to fly the tracks in different (warning dictionary) "complicacy"-levels.
You start at simple and you finish with hard.
At the beginning it's easy to be the 1st and to overlap, later, in the higher classes, it's real challeging, it's complectated to win a race without problems.
It's not the same with the speed classes. Okay, it's so much easier to win at vector than at Phantom, but after a short time Phantom isn't really challeging

note: haven't played Pure now, so I don't know if it's different there.

And for the other thing, the number of tracks:
I don't think it's really bad to have many many tracks. I really love the tracksystem of Fusion (and I know the most don't). The whole weekend I played Fusion. Be sure I know the tracks well, and be sure I love them. In my mind I can fly nearly every track. And when I'm at the track I wouldn't say I don't know them enough because there are too many of them.
How I love Mandrashee 2 reverse, Florion Height 1 & 3 and ALCA VEXUS
:D

eLhabib
8th May 2005, 04:36 PM
I have no problem with a great amount of tracks. What I do habe a problem with though is the way it was in Fusion, making 3 tracks out of 1, with locking sections of the track off á la ridge racer. VERY BAD IDEA. You fly instntively on, say Alca Vexus, turn hard right and slam into a energy barrier, just because you didn't remeber wether you were on Alca Vexus 1, 2 or 3 because the first part of the track is exactly the same on all three.
Also it's just a cheap way of choosing quantity over quality. I'd rather have 12 tracks who are completely different atmosphere- and track-wise, than have 36 tracks which are actually just 6 tracks with multiple sections and reversing.

phase 2
8th May 2005, 06:11 PM
I definitly agree with ELhabib about quality over quantity PURE proves this to be very very true. This is true fore anything to like music and so on & so on. As fore sausehuhns coment about "REAL graphics" the PS3 could very well have the capability a producing such good quality graphics just look at the intro movie to wipe out PURE the A-G craft looks unbelievable. hopfuly Xbox 360 and the PS3 do look that good that pic could posibly be just from a PS2 video trailer or somthing. It looks like a real photo almost!

phase 2
10th May 2005, 07:46 AM
How about Kel Solaars subway systems mentioned in some of the storys found on this site? as a few tracks

Shem
10th May 2005, 01:51 PM
I'd like to see that kind of quality as seen on the "PS3" pic, but ONLY in real time env. Juding by the details in this pic, i'd say that this one is a hoax. Sony will release official pics, and they will surely make a lot of noise about it, so i won't trust anything that comes across being not official. Anyway, that kind of gfx take TONS of work and time. I don't think that any developer (a company) would afford themselves that kind of luxury (because i say tons of work and lots of time spent, then i mean it). Maybe if there will be tools speeding up the modelling process......

Chill
10th May 2005, 03:23 PM
Mabye on the PS3, it would be possible for parts of the crafts to fall off and fly back and hit you, or be sucked to/propelled from the track, and it would cause magnetic dissruption in your flying.
But it would seem that they would come up with faster modelling processess, with all their new technology and all, why stop because it's too hard to make software? I'm almost certain they've gotta come up with something, right?

phase 2
12th May 2005, 08:21 AM
I agree with you thier about it taking forever to make this kind of caliber of graphics but some ground breaking company has to come up with somthing that will set them apart from the average Joe,when this will happen though?? I have no idea. hey E3's rite around the corner to it's soposed to be on T.V. :D hopfuly we get to see most of the good stuff.

Manic
12th May 2005, 02:06 PM
I'm going to list a few couple of changes. Hope the list doesn't get too long and that you agree with me. All criticism is accepted.

Gameplay
More modes and tracks, as already mentioned. The difficulty system should be revised and the whole league thingy should be based around the idea that you have to earn your team's funding by performing, as in Fusion, but with more upgrades to be made and different approaches to racing to take with each ship (e.g. a ship has certain base stats and they can be improved to different levels depending on the team and ship, but you can't max out all stats like in Fusion. This will balance the teams and make for greater variety between ships. E.g. a Feisar ship obviously has better handling than a Quirex ship, but if the Feisar pilot chooses to focus all his research on weapons and shielding and the Quirex pilot goes all in for speed and agility, they might end up with stats closer to each other).

Story mode! What I would do to see pilots go head-to-head even outside the track, like in SSX tricky (but please make sure we get good voice actors).

A few more teams, please. I, for one, would like to see a team which doesn't take an all that traditional approach, like "all out speed and maneuverability" (AG-Sys.) or "slow and bulky but with lots of shield" (Triakis), but some kind of team like "loads of maneuverability, moderate speed and thrust, low shields yet mind-blowing weaponry".

Racing
A better feeling of speed. For example, Fusion seemed to crawl forth to me and even when in first-person mode the game was agonizingly slow. Being an insane adrenaline-junkie, I expect my games to be very fast-paced and to demand quite some reflexes. Also, the speed-readings in Fusion were VERY unproportional. Even when I just tapped the X-button the speed immediately jumped all the way to 200mph. You've got to feel it too!

Harder competition. The computer opposition in previous games was okay, but we need better than okay! We need ramming, cutting, unsportsmanlike use of weapons and computers that race as if their life depended on it. Wipeout is supposed to compete with games like the F-Zero series (a series considered superior to Wipeout despite its lack of story, character and style) whose recent additions have proven more than a match for Wipeout in graphical and gameplay terms. If one thinks of style and taste, Wipeout outclasses F-Zero, but games need performance as well.

More powerful weapons. Since we don't want to overuse them and we want to have to use them with skill, let's make fewer and more powerful ones. In both Fusion and Pure it's VERY hard to kill anyone unless you use a superweapon or Plasma Bolt. Make the weapons count, just don't make so many of them. Also, it's strange that the same kind of missile or bomb does different amounts of damage depending upon what weapon system one uses. I'm not suggesting they take away the weapon pads completely, I'm just saying they should look over the whole weapons thingy. Give some explanations, perhaps.

Also, the concept of things falling off and causing problems both for the damaged ship and the ships behind was a really good idea. Still, I don't see why anti-gravitation would be affected by magnetism...

Design
Since the PS3's performance looks to be nothing short of epic, hopefully we will see some serious improvements in graphics. Though Wipeout Pure is impressive for a game played on PSP, both 3 and Fusion were disappointments in terms of graphics and design. For a new game both the ships, tracks and the backgrounds need to be revised.

Style. The new design like the one in Pure, which is basically the old one with a touch-up, is just the way to go. Rounded where it's cool, edgy where it matters. Still, I don't like the look of the Auricom and the Quirex crafts. They just seem to square and at the same time flimsy, making it look like the two most respected teams can't understand basic aerodynamics or construction. Also, the game could use some real mechanical details (instead of the "painted" ones. ****, I hate that interruption in the bodywork! It looks like Lego!), like outlying coolant pipes or exhaust-systems, framework and air-intakes, all made in metal, to contrast the colourful bodywork and show that these aren't simply stylish formations of polygons. They're racing machines and they're made to take punishment and go at high speeds.

Phew! That's about it!

Chill
12th May 2005, 04:17 PM
Wow, that's all pretty good, except for a few things:
WEAPONS
The weapons, I think their needs to be weapons more like Wipeout 3. Just fewer strong weapons wouldn't make much of a difference, because it's still more of a chance to get a strong weapon over a weak one, making the game much easier. I like weapons that use strategy, like energy drain, reflectors, portals, ya, the weapons in Wipeout 3 were totally awesome to me!! :lol: But please, not just a bunch of quakes and plasma bolts and stuff, it would lose a feel to it that it already has.
GAMEPLAY
I don't think they pilots should have character, or even a face for that matter. This was one of the worst things I liked about Fusion, I wan't to feel as if I'm the pilot, it's my racing record, not this Joe Schmoe I'm racing for!! I loved Wipeout 3 because it had very little character design, and you felt more like the pilot than the pilot designed for the craft. At least that's what I think. :wink:
I also dislike the idea of upgrading, sorry, but I just love the speed classes so much more. Mabye a change in look of the crafts when moving up in speed classes, not much different as in fusion, but slight changes, and that's about it. I love it when I get a new class to race in!! 8O Although their could be more teams, but not to much to not be able to have to learn in order to finish all the challenges and things in the game please. :wink:
RACING
You hit the spot about fusion!! Absolutely right, it's a very wrong feel!! :lol: They need to set the speeds closer to reality. In real life, you'd probably be out by the time you reached 5 in fusiong because of the dramatic change in velocity, and the game should set the feel of the game closer to the speed, rather than having the speed way up their, and your like "umm, ok?", and you felt nothing. You could literally feel the speeds in PS1 Wipeouts!! I'm sure competition is hard enough in Pure, though i agree with you. :wink:

Also, the concept of things falling off and causing problems both for the damaged ship and the ships behind was a really good idea. Still, I don't see why anti-gravitation would be affected by magnetism...
Ya, I totally forgot about the idea of "anti-gravity", sigh just another one of those days. :wink:

Welcome to the Zone, Manic!!! :D

Manic
13th May 2005, 09:13 AM
Thx. Anyway, now that I look on it I'm pretty sure that pilots ain't the way to go. I just wanted to give the game a more "personal" feeling. It's what I've been missing all these years (Wipeout has such a good storyline, it's just that you never get to see anything off the racetrack).

Lion
14th May 2005, 02:39 AM
how about a team specific super weapon?
something like assegai could have a speed boost that lasts as long as an autopilot, whereas triakis could have some kinda super plasma bolt, and ag sys (let's be friends!) something that restores the shield back to 100% regardless of how low it was. I dunno...
maybe have 1 per race for your craft, and have it swappable with your picked up weapon al-la mario kart double dash driver switching
I hope that description is clear enough

Lance
14th May 2005, 02:48 AM
Fusion already did the team-specific superweapons.
How many of you actually liked the feature?
Did it improve the gameplay?

Chill
14th May 2005, 05:44 AM
For me, personal weapons made the game worse, I like it when everyone has the same ability with everything. Once again, Wipeout 3 was my favorite out of them (never played xl :( , I once made an order, and it never came :cry: , back on topic, sorry), because Wipeout 3 was floaty (Without stick), bouncy, fast, had good atmosphere, and incredibly awesome weapons (though things such as portals weren't able to be used by the computer players), but these weapons were incredibly imaginative, and definately improved the atmosphere. Everyone having the same ability just makes the game better (I really hated the fact that you had to use the Xios to use energy drain), that's something everyone should get to have, and many other awesome things they mad as super-weapons in fusion, but please, not just one craft. :wink:

If I want the game to feel personal, imagination seems the best way to go. I hated fusion because it had everything laid out for you, and you had a storyline behind the pilot you were, thus no imagination was required. Nothing feeling more personal then your own imagination to fill into the game. :wink:

Lion
14th May 2005, 08:00 AM
Fusion already did the team-specific superweapons.
.oops, I wasn't aware of that. only ever played it once and decided after about 10 minutes that it really didn't feel like wipeout to me

Sausehuhn
14th May 2005, 09:15 AM
I would like to have a Fusion Special Edition ( ;) ) with the old handling... like this:

>> http://c.ps2movies.ign.com/media/previews/video/wipeout/wipeout01.mov

I like the moment when the Feisar is making a turn at Mandrashee and you really can see the floaty handling. Ou, I like that. I want that!

Manic
15th May 2005, 01:40 PM
Yeeeah... Sweeet...

Anyway, I think you misunderstood me when I said "fewer weapons". I didn't mean that fewer weapons should be included in the game, which would limit variation and gaming quite a lot, but that it would be harder to aquire weapons on track. This would mean that while weapons would be stronger, it would also be harder to eliminate opponents without skill and it would lead to the game being more of a racing game, which I think is what we all want from Wipeout.

As for superweapons, I think they really improved the gameplay. The fact that Xios were the only ones that could use energy drain was annoying, yes, but that could easily be fixed. Of course, it should not be made as powerful if it would be accessible to everyone. My personal favourite though, was the Nitro Rocket (combined with lots of speed and handling upgrades, this was every other pilot's nightmare. Total elimination all the way through the league thanks to this and liberal use of plasma bolts). Despite their attitude and the looks of their craft, I often found myself playing Tigron, since they had really nice craft stats, racing feeling and a sweet superweapon. And personally, I just love the whole concept of racing dirty. Without all those weapons, that is.

(Added at 13:03 the 16th of May)
Furthermore, I feel that with the eventual introduction of the PS3, Wipeout will have to roughen up a bit. With better graphics and higher processing speed I know that at least I will want to see even more realistic details such as area based damage (like Fusion, where performance decreased as the craft became more damaged, only that when you blast off the right wing, the craft will begin to drift to the right), turbulence, columns of heated air and thrust from the engines of the craft instead of those neon lights, damage from shrapnel flying around and laying around on the track and various other features. I'm particularly interested in a feel of realism. This means that while the original concepts, ideas, designs and so forth must stay, other things would have to change.

When I first played Fusion I was only moderately pleased. The game was a bit too "off" for my taste, mainly because the changes were a bit too great, the leap in time period a bit large and the storyline too obvious. The change was only moderately successful, since many thought that the game became more mainstream, but though it was not all that good I can still see why the developers chose to make changes. And if Fusion was a bit of a mongrel, a mixture which could have been made much better, then Pure is an inbreed, a reversion made to appease the traditionalist players. Hopefully, the next game will look like neither of them.

The problem with Fusion, I would say, was that it was too hyped (those speeds and weapons) and too conventional (storyline and design). The problem with Pure is that it is, as already mentioned, a reversion. Apart from a few innovative points (the "strafing", retaining the "Zone" mode) it still follows the principle of "better safe than sorry" too much. Hopefully the developers will learn from their mistakes on both games to make the sequel better than ever.

My opinion is: stick with the storyline, the design, the game modes and the music, but use the PS3's performance in any and all ways you can. Give the game a greater feeling of realism by adding more mechanics, more real effects and more power. Remember that racing is a rough sport where efficiency is key and there is little room for anything else. And the future of racing is NOT clean, neat and friendly. The future of racing is hard, lean, high-powered and unforgiving. To stay in the game, you have to be the same, or you'll get wiped out.

phase 2
19th May 2005, 04:20 AM
I cant really coment on the special weapons in Fusion I did not unlock most of them(the one thing I can say about Fusion is that Fusion tryed new things and with out trying you would never know what game features would be better or worse so they did suceed in that department) be but the floatieness of wo 3 was perfect it felt like a real hover craft more so than any wo game the graphics chould have used some improvement but I still loved the style to me it looked like a hybred of wo xl and the original wo not to cartoOnie(xL) but not to realistic(the original) it had the perfect in between.

Chill
19th May 2005, 04:49 AM
Ya, Wipeout 3 really put in the right amount of realistic and non-realistic events in the right mixure to come out with (in my opinion) the best Wipeout game (hey, I hadn't played pure yet, so what else do I have to say?!! :lol: )

phase 2
19th May 2005, 07:44 AM
PURE and wo 3 definitly rank amongst the best in the wo series I can not say wo 3 for sure but what I have seen of the game I was very impressed with. I have my hands full with so many wo games that I havn't really got the chance to play 3 yet :roll: perhaps I'm saving the best for last :wink: XL was good to but I am really into the original rite now
I have to beat that last corse (SilverStream) :? and then I'll move on to wo 3 :D

Manic
19th May 2005, 08:58 AM
I think XL was the best of the old games when it comes to design, and that Fusion (with an exception for some of the crafts and the Katmoda 12 course) was the best of the new ones. I don't know why, but WO3 and SE keeps bothering me when I play them. It's like the landscape is too arid, too bleak and sterile. It doesn't feel right.

Also, my favourite track design ever I have to say is Vohl Square, simply because I'm used to night racing and I love the industrial feeling.

I hope a future Wipeout will have some track which runs through some ruined, war-struck desert city. You come down some drop from one of the tall, bombed out buildings, drawing up whirling sand in your path and continuing down a main street and around a large square. And then you hit the absolutely huge bridges that cross a dried-out riverbed, speeding away between collapsing pylons and wrecked cars at 700 mph in the twilight sun. That would be so friggin beautiful!

Chill
19th May 2005, 03:49 PM
Umm, that was my idea already awhile before, though good idea!!! :wink: I liked the thought of racing through torn up old churches and all, with some of the stained windows still in tacked, shining rainbow colors onto your craft as you pass by. Hey, their's an idea for mabye a track for the PS3 Wipeout? :roll:

Lance
20th May 2005, 12:20 AM
intact. not in tacked

Chill
20th May 2005, 03:48 AM
Actually, both!! Some windows broken, and some still standing, and you could even break through windows!! :D Ya right, this certainly seems to be going way out of Wipeout proportion. :lol:

Shem
20th May 2005, 06:23 AM
Oh, here's one for the wishlist -

I WANT MANO'S PIRANHA DESIGN INCLUDED!!!!!!!!!!

(and i'm really serious at this poing).

Chill
20th May 2005, 03:35 PM
Ya, that could of been one of the bonus crafts on Pure instead of the Medievil ship, although I like it, I'm willing to make everyone else happy, and besides, I wouldn't mind the change anyway. :P

mclarensmps
25th May 2005, 04:49 AM
Heheh, theres some cool ideas on here definately, although dont like the idea of having the game being too weapon intensive!!

My own idea though, is well... I was getting bored and came up with the concept of a generation 2 Harimau ship. Right now i just have a teaser of the side profile of the ship, and sadly theres only so much i can do in photoshop! I'll keep posting you guys on updates when i get some time to work on my concept a bit more. Take a look though!

http://img271.echo.cx/my.php?image=harimaufinal1ig.jpg

eLhabib
25th May 2005, 08:18 AM
hm, looks pretty much like the purE piranha to me...

zargz
25th May 2005, 09:55 AM
can't see the pic .. :?

mclarensmps
25th May 2005, 06:53 PM
aye zargs, it seems to be working fine here? not too sure why you cant see the pic.

eLhabib, yeah from that pic it does look alot like the WOP Piranha but once i get around to the other views you'll see that its actually based more on the current Harimau design than the Piranha. Whereas the Piranha has more of a whole and compact design, this one will have more winglets and things popping out of it, once i have a schematic, ill post it here and show you guys!

Lance
26th May 2005, 12:28 AM
i had no problem seeing the image when i was here this [Wednesday] morning at approx 0830 GMT

Manic
26th May 2005, 10:55 AM
Allrightythen... I'll see if I can draw some pics (used to have Photoshop available until my computer broke down), scan them in and post them here. Just you wait.

Oh, and by the way I won't try and expand upon already present designs. I'll borrow the style but in general do my own thing.

TMoney
24th June 2005, 06:15 AM
As per the talk of 20+ tracks earlier -- there's no way that should happen.

With all the talk of next gen development costs being so high... it sounds like if we asked for anything more than 8 or so tracks we're pay for it in track quality.

I'd much rather see 8 or so diverse & beautiful tracks that a lot of time & love were spent on.

Since Internet connectivity is so touted in the next-gen systems, maybe downloadable tracks, a la Pure, would be seen later instead of right away after you purchase the PS3 hard drive.

Lion
24th June 2005, 10:44 AM
since the PS3 hdd purportedly ships with linux on it, I'd like to see some editing tools available on the discs to install in that ps3 linux

infoxicated
24th June 2005, 11:15 AM
TMoney - if GT5 is shipping with 40+ tracks for the PS3, and a Wipeout sequel ships with 8... well, I wont be a paying customer, put it that way.

In Wipeout Pure there are a couple of the original tracks I don't like to play - Citta Nuova and Sinucit. With only 8 tracks that's 25% of them I'm not interested in playing... on GT4 there are maybe three or four tracks I don't like, but when I'm spoiled for choice it doesn't really matter, as it's a small percentage of the whole.

Providing more tracks lets the game designers take risks, too - they can try crazy stuff that might not work, but if it's on one track out of 20 then they can at least try new things without fear of ruining the game. If they have to get 8 tracks suitable for the mass market then it's going to be 8 tracks-by-numbers.

Wipeout has sold us short with 8 tracks for too long - I'm glad Wipeout Pure has set things right by providing many times that. :)

eLhabib
24th June 2005, 11:34 AM
actually I never felt I had too few tracks in any w'o'' game... can't really compare it to GT for that matter, because in w'o'' I want to know every track by heart to get PLs on it, and 40+ tracks would be hard to remember. In GT however, it's not the track that's the main enemy, it's the other drivers. I never once was impressed with the combination of turns on a GT track... it's a whole different approach. So a track number of 10+ will be perfectly fine with me for future w'o'' titles, as long as those tracks are as perfect as they ever where.

infoxicated
24th June 2005, 12:24 PM
I have to disagree there - in GT the track is your only enemy. The AI has never been a challenge in GT games, and in GT4 I just found myself going for lap times and not caring about the drones. If it was meant to be a real race, you wouldn't start from the back of the grid each time...

Manic
24th June 2005, 01:25 PM
No, but you do have the problem with the other cars being in the way when you go out of the pit, or when you're rounding them after a few laps... they always get out in front of you and block your path.

Lance
24th June 2005, 08:39 PM
i see el habib's point; if enough imagination and testing go into a small number of tracks, it is less likely that any of them will not be good, and more likely that one would like all of them

Manic
25th June 2005, 10:18 AM
/ Yes, but then you might end up with the same system as Fusion. Since you only have eight tracks you have to make three different versions of them and run them forward and backwards...

/ I, personally, would like to see at least twelve different tracks, and then people can come up with as many different versions of those as they would like. I don't care.

/ See, all I want is long and well-worked circuits (if it's even necessary to have circuits rather than just long stretches) with feeling and variation in the environment. The whole idea with w"o" is that you're flying something at ground level at the speed of sound. You're bound to cover great distances. That's why, with the introduction of the PS3, I want to see more massive environments and longer tracks. Not only to give the game more feeling, but also more realism.

Lance
26th June 2005, 03:30 PM
'' I want to see more massive environments and longer tracks. Not only to give the game more feeling, but also more realism.''
there is a parallel to this in the old hobby of model railroading; to get a more convincing simulation of reality and the immersional experience that gives, you need a big room. a huge room. that is what future game machines should give us. more room in both active memory circuits and more memory on the media holding the game in storage for us to pop into the machine. and more processing power to give motional life to the details. the PS3 looks promising in this regard. with eight equal mini-CPUs coordinated by a larger true CPU. i just hope that developer effort doesn't get so absorbed in the new and valuable details and larger game world that the gameplay suffers. to me, that is always the most important thing, the rest of it makes the game more real and adds to the satisfaction

Manic
26th June 2005, 03:43 PM
/ Exactly. Though I have never understood to enjoy model trains, I do agree with you. On both points.

/ What I must stress once again though is that what I want (and do beleive many others want) is not just more, bigger and badder graphics. Much of that processing power should be directed towards calculating the physical effects of thrust, turbulence, lightning, water, winds, etc...

/ Also, something I would like to see is fully interactive environments. Something really big blows up on track, it makes a hole. You fly off track and crash into a couple of trees, they shatter, fall and burn. That would be seriously cool.

/ And yes, If I flew off I would always aim for the audience.

Lance
26th June 2005, 03:58 PM
'' And yes, If I flew off I would always aim for the audience.''
that does not surprise me in the slightest. it is a mean-spirited not-at-all-humorous remark. you should aim for despicable politicians and corporate heads, not innocent bystanders

Lion
26th June 2005, 11:55 PM
with makana being the likely monaco of the future; a playground for the obscenely rich, chances are that the bulk of the crowd would be politicians and corporate heads anyway. I can't imagine tickets for AG racing being particularly cheap

username
15th July 2005, 10:58 AM
im not sure if this sounds good for a wipeout but here it is:
maybe there could be different ways in wich you get eliminted, for eg:
if you get hit by a plasma you would explode and if you ran out of time you would fall to the ground like on wip3out, or if you get hit by a control jammer your stablizers could go wrong and corkscrew and loose control. :lol:

just a thought :wink:

crazy legs
15th July 2005, 11:29 AM
so what we're talking about here is

bigger longer tracks? but how do we keep it wiepout and not make this into a star wars pod race?

and please release soundtracks again... in sweden

username
15th July 2005, 12:37 PM
'' And yes, If I flew off I would always aim for the audience.''
that does not surprise me in the slightest. it is a mean-spirited not-at-all-humorous remark. you should aim for despicable politicians and corporate heads, not innocent bystanders
thats not very nice :lol:
it would be good if on the new wipeout coming out that you could actualy damage buildings if you aimed wrong or kill innocent crowds of people!! :twisted:
makes you think: even if wipeout was real and even if the tickets were expensive, they would propably loose more because of people suing the wipeout industry for having a missile crashing through there window or something like that :lol: :lol:

Drakkenmensch
15th July 2005, 12:43 PM
Oh, I'm pretty sure that the Wipeout ticket office would require to sign a total release of responsability waver in case of death or dismemberment, and that the entrance to the stands would be lined with a whole series of ANMs (Automatic Notary Machines - to put your legal will up to date)

username
15th July 2005, 12:48 PM
propably right :cry: im so evil :lol:
if i was in tha audience i would throw a chair on the track and wait for a quake to flip it a mile high in the air, that would be so funny :lol:

tapioca
15th July 2005, 03:21 PM
I hope the next Wipeout will include more gamemodes. What happened to wip3out Challenges ?
People might enjoy having many ways to unlock medals, instead of racing the same tracks again and again with just a different ship or speed class.
Races with specific conditions could be fun :
- defensive weapons only, energy drain and shield with no absorb-weapon energy
- some kind of virus-mode (shield slowly decreasing when you're hit, you have to hit another ship to stop the processus and give it to him - no lockable weapons of course)
- no weapons mode, bonuses only (shield, autopilot, energy drain…)
- perfect lap races (every wall or opponent contact is taken into account, disqualified if too many mistakes)
- turbo boosts only (standard pad for immediate boost and bonus pad to keep it for further use : you would have to choose between using every turbo and take many risks or moderate use and trust your skills)
- no airbrakes or no full airbrakes (like Zone Mode)
- team specific challenges
- classic eliminator mode
- pushing your opponents off the track (in open sections) is the only way to mark points
- … i'm waiting for other proposals

Just to give an exemple, for those who ever experienced Time Splitters 2 or 3 (arcade modes only), i think it was far superior to other FPS games, mainly because it included many variants of a simple concept, thus always renewing the game's appeal.

username
16th July 2005, 03:59 PM
you have got some good ideas :wink:
i especially like the virus and perfect laps ideas, but on the one you said you should only be able to get autopilot,shield and energy drain, i dissagree: i think that the energy drain should be swaped with something else like a turbo.

edit: VVV

i also think that there should be a new weapon called autoshooter. you get autopilot so why not something that when activated for a short period will only shoot weapons collected if an apponent is in front :o . what do you think? good idea or not 8O

Sausehuhn
16th July 2005, 06:33 PM
Sounds good. But you're not the only one that can get this weapon (AI as well), so the whole game could be too weapon based. And we all know the opinion of the most fans about too many weapons in a WipEout game (WipEout Fusion).

tapioca
16th July 2005, 07:06 PM
@username :
You're right for energy drain. It can be seen as a weapon because it aims at enemy shield energy. No problem to replace it.

Another idea :
- lower handling bonus pads (and usual turbo pads): your ship handling decreases slowly but you only mark points when running with it. You have to choose the right moment to discard it before your ship becomes uncontrolable. The winner is the one who spent the more time with it activated. Might be a time counter, or a point system better (it's easier to activate the bonus 5 time for a short moment than keeping it until point break, so you have to earn many points when taking risks).
With on-screen information about who's best pilot, updated realtime.

username
18th July 2005, 12:22 PM
lower handling pads i think that would be a good idea but it could be quite annoying after a while though!!
but it would be exelent for something like zone like you said :wink: .
one tip for you if that ever does come out in a wipeout game: dont be qirex or icaras!! :lol:

Jittery-Joe
11th September 2005, 02:57 PM
My ideas:
firts and foremost: Bring back Challenge mode
2. Rather than having team specific weapons sets, have a player customisable weapon set, so say each craft can only have X number of weapons out of how ever many available, not including power-ups
3. Have a system similar, but better, to Fusion's customising options
4. Drawing on the RPG idea, have pilots again, but unlike fusion, have them player-crated and cutomizable.
[edit]oh and realistic damage, that'd be great too

Sausehuhn
11th September 2005, 04:52 PM
yeah I agree!!
But it should still look like WipEout, that's it!

And yes, bring the challenge mode back!! I really miss it in Pure. It was fantastic! Especially Fusion's challenge mode was just great!

Jittery-Joe
11th September 2005, 07:40 PM
I don't quite get why they left challenge mode out of pure. Surely it would be ideal for Handheld gaming?

MissileStrike
12th September 2005, 08:50 AM
I would like a story. I mean, I wouldnt like a player costomization, that would be bad (IMO) but cutscenes. Like, I thought of this which I think would be pretty cool.

Jason wiped his hands on his racing pants. "System check?" he asked his sister/ co-pilot, Hayley. "Oh, C'mon Jason! We've done it three times already!" "Ok ok...' Jason looked back at his Hayley, who sat in the co-pilot seat, slightly above and behind Jason. Then he looked over at the other racers who sat in their own ships across the hanger. One of the Triakis pilots, Eric, yelled out "G'diy new kid! Time to die" Jason shook his head. Being younger (17) (and the only Australian) then the other pilots, he copped a lot. This was also his first time to race in Rapier class, so he wasnt sure of what to expect. But, as his friends and family had said, he was good. In his last tournament in Flash he had blitzed the others, taking no corner a centimetre off the optimin racing line and evading all but a few of the enemys weapons. "Oi! Jason, time to race!" Jason snapped out of his thoughts and put on his mask. He took one last look at the others, before the hanger doors opened and sunlight streamed in. The roar of the crowd suddenly sounded as loud as a Quake. Jason's eyes narrowed. It was time to do what he had done so many times before. It was time to race.

:D Well, that would be what I would like in a Wipeout game. A good storyline, but not one that would disrupt the core of the game. Racing.

Edit: Oh, and Hayley would be the voice of the person that sais "Shield active" and "Energy Critical"

zed omega
12th September 2005, 09:26 AM
I though about some tracks through well known towns around the world (shanghai, tokyo(shibuya), paris (below the Eiffel Tower), the under sea-railway from Europe-continent to GB, new york + underground train.. and many more.

all tracks with futuristic buildings, lights, sounds, advertisements etcetera.

some other ideas: way to middle of earth (80° downhill with 1500mph / 2000 kmh with sonic boom :) ) and after the middle of earth next to the other side of the world (must be a long track :) )

other one: A track up(80° tothe sky) to the stratosphere with 5 or 6 paralell running ways with different curves and speedpads) with long really highspeed-parts to get over 3000-5000kmh and tracing / blurring speed-effects - then launchin' a highspeed surface-to-air rocket to eliminate the ship infront of you :roll:

..I have lot more ideas ^^

eLhabib
12th September 2005, 09:40 AM
...he asked his sister/ co-pilot, Hayley. "Oh, C'mon Jason! We've done it three times already!" "Ok ok...' Jason looked back at his Hayley...

eeewww, she's his SISTER, goddammit! :D

Drakkenmensch
12th September 2005, 12:25 PM
some other ideas: way to middle of earth (80° downhill with 1500mph / 2000 kmh with sonic boom :) ) and after the middle of earth next to the other side of the world (must be a long track :) )

The earth's diameter is roughly 12600 km. If you go at that proposed 2000 km/h, then your race would last over 6 HOURS.

And some of you thought Descension lasted too long. :lol:

username
2nd November 2005, 10:59 AM
6 hours of non stop adrenaline rush. i would of thought that could of done the human body some damage

also bring back the wuss wagons it adds a good touch to the game i think

Hybrid Divide
2nd November 2005, 11:24 AM
I think one thing that would do WipEout wonders is having the feeling that you're more part of a league, and part of a team. Instead of feeling like you're against everyone.

Online play would certainly aid this. Along with people being able to voice chat with other members of their team. Things like that.

Some level of craft customization, be it a pilot logo, or to be able to completely build your own ships. This would certainly fit in to a game set in between WipEout Fusion and WipEout Pure.

You guys agree?

eLhabib
2nd November 2005, 12:15 PM
absolutely! seeing as the next wipEout HAS to be online, I actually would prefer that you have to choose a team for your online profile, and then you'd have to stick with that team all the way, having the game lobby in your team colors, chatting with your team pilots, and competing with the other teams.

total craft customization is one thing I would keep away from. I think the design and color scheme should come from the game designers. If you let people design their own craft, you will soon have many crafts which don't fit the wipEout picture anymore, and that will eventually destroy the feel of being in the wipEout world (much like the branded ships in purE)

IMO, the only thing that should be customizable would be pilot logos, as you said, and maybe some minor adjustments to the crafts paintjob.

Lance
2nd November 2005, 02:11 PM
if a game were based on the amateur FX-150 league, the colours and patterns could be anything. there would be no teams since everyone competes as an individual in the period between Fusion and Pure.

Drakkenmensch
2nd November 2005, 02:15 PM
The FX-150 league would also entail a serious lack of racing tracks and infrastructures. There would be improvised tracks built with whatever materials are easily available, and whatever real tracks are there would be dilapidated remnants of the F9000 days.

infoxicated
2nd November 2005, 02:31 PM
The way I saw it is that the F9000 league was the "pinnacle of AG Racing" in much the same way that F1 is perceived as the "Pinnacle of Motorsports". Although F1 only runs on 18 or so tracks around the world, there are hundreds of tracks of an equally high standard to those - some with more character and history than many of the modern F1 tracks.

So I kind of thought it stood to reason that the FX150 level racing craft could be operating in small leagues around the world in localised championships on many of the tracks that didn't fit into the F9000 calendar, some of which we've seen in the past as part of the F7200, for example.

The F9000 was the headline grabber - the NASCAR or the F1 of the sport, but there would be many other disciplines that enjoyed popularity around the world too - oval racing, drag racing, slalom, hill climbs, endurance events, point to point, classics, etc.

Lance
2nd November 2005, 02:57 PM
sorta like if a 'lesser' league of today's automobile racing used the old Nurburgring, the real one, the 14.7 miles one, for having a truly great race instead of on that crippled dinky little thing they now call the Nurburgring. i think FX-150 might be the best Wipeout league of all.

and there's a bit of a hint of that in 2097/XL with its use of Spilskinanke and Gare d'Europa.

infoxicated
2nd November 2005, 03:12 PM
I like to think of it that way, with the privateers buying an FX150 level chassis from the big manufacturers, like an Auricom or AG Systems, and entering it in their regional championship.

You see it in the local Rally championships, where a privateer might enter a Subaru Impreza WRC spec car in the Scottish or Irish rally championship. They have no connection to Subaru other than being a customer of their car. I'm thinking the privateers might use cheaper or more hard wearing componants than the big teams because they cant afford to replace them after a race.

A customer who buys an FX150 chassis from Feliks' Qirex plant cant quite afford that powerful Quantax drive system from the famous russian powerplant specialists, so he goes with a cheaper one from another independant supplier. if he's anything like the rice boys of today he might slap a Quantax sticker on his chassis so that all the other racers think he has a Quantax Revolution IV drive in the back end, but when it comes to the race they'll all know he's not packing that kind of heat! ;)

Drakkenmensch
2nd November 2005, 03:25 PM
From the current racing model where you have people rigging just about anything that can have a motor wielded to it and racing the hell out of them, you can extrapolate this easily enough to Wipeout. I can imagine you would have enthusiasts with little money who would scavenge through junkyards and recover cheap AG generators from small family hovercars and slapping them on any frame they can think of - now that would be mighty interesting to watch!

Hybrid Divide
3rd November 2005, 04:55 AM
Infox has the right idea!

That's exactly how I see the FX-150 :D

Still having the ships from the respective teams there, but in the hands of independant owners and not team sponsored drivers.

Still, the vision makes more sense in my head, I promise! :lol:

username
4th November 2005, 12:29 PM
oh,oh,oh i have had a good idea for quite a while. i would like to see more of the fans side of things, for eg the crowd cheers REALLYloudly when a contender is eliminated or they hold massive banners with team names on them.
and even chants. for individual teams like:
auricom, auricom,........
what does anyone else think?

Drakkenmensch
4th November 2005, 12:33 PM
:D The crowd could be cheering massively for whatever team happens to be leading the race, changing as one team gets passed and another takes the lead, though there would still be people here and there with banners for other teams ;)

Sausehuhn
4th November 2005, 12:35 PM
yeah, mentioned that a few pages ago^^
it would make a more believable atmosphere and it should be possible to make (3D-) spectators react to the race with the PS3.

username
4th November 2005, 12:50 PM
when a corruopt missile hits innocent spectators they all scream for there lives :lol:

Distrupto
4th November 2005, 12:54 PM
eh.. there r missile shields wich protect the spectators.

bakkufu
4th November 2005, 02:25 PM
quick thing I remembered, that I thought up years ag!! does anyone remember G-Police? I always thought of a post 2097 intro where a spotlight flashes across a Psygnosis billboard ( aah those were the days ) and then pulls around into a city, showing you the G-Police ship flying off into the distance over a Wipeout circuit race in progess etc.

eLhabib
4th November 2005, 04:29 PM
8O

show.me.that.PLEASE!
I know the game G-Police (awesome btw) but I have never seen that wipEout scene!

Sausehuhn
4th November 2005, 04:49 PM
I always thought of a post 2097 intro

eLhabib
4th November 2005, 05:14 PM
:oops: daydreaming again...

bakkufu
4th November 2005, 05:15 PM
Would have been a great idea to cross the two series over though.

Jittery-Joe
4th November 2005, 05:23 PM
:? hmmm... maybe, but cross-overs usually end up crappy. Or nothing like either game.

bakkufu
4th November 2005, 05:41 PM
I just mean in an intro, like a little goodie for Psygnosis fans.

Distrupto
5th November 2005, 02:16 AM
If we brought G-Police to WipEout, we'll have AG NFS Hot Pursuit! :P :lol:

Edit: How bout a Career-Mode type thing(found in many racing games)? U start off in FX-150 with old F-9000 and F-7200 craft, work ur way into FX-300 and then into "FX-450". U choose a F-7200 ship from, lets say, Auricom for a cheap price. Then as u win in FX-150, u unlock a F-9000 spec Auricom, then get into FX-300's Auricom team and then into FX-450s.
FX-150 and FX-300 r normal leagues but FX-450 being a co-existing multi-challenge league with "offroad" racing over water and stuff, racing with competitors on a super-long drag track filled with hazards, jumps and walls as well as A-to-B rallies. Any comments r welcome about this idea. :wink: :)

Sausehuhn
1st December 2005, 04:38 PM
I would like to see airbrakes, elevators* and rudders*

*the word is from a dictionary, so maybe it could be wrong

eLhabib
1st December 2005, 05:22 PM
you can see airbrakes in purE.

Sausehuhn
1st December 2005, 06:42 PM
yes, airbrakes, but nothing else.
How do the crafts turn or go up and down?

Just Fusion featured elevators and rudders. I liked that.

Drakkenmensch
1st December 2005, 06:58 PM
Assuming that a craft has antigrav "thrusters" underneath its entire belly, going up or down is a simple matter of lowering thrust on one end and upping it on the other - it would be a simple matter to install the same sort of mechanisms at the tip of the ship, one pointing left, one right and voila! Instant turning system!

Sausehuhn
1st December 2005, 07:06 PM
but why they don't use the thruster-system for the brakes, too? *hehe*

... not to mention, that a "plate gives direction"-system would be cheaper, wouldn't it?

bakkufu
1st December 2005, 07:11 PM
I've always assumed that the AG lift is placed appox halfway along the ship giving lift at the centre of gravity. Forward motion is achieved with thrust and control surfaces give direction and pitch control.

Sausehuhn
1st December 2005, 07:27 PM
yes, thought the same way, it's also the most logical idea, isn't it?
Why add thrusters when moving with surfaces is so much easier?

As I already said: we saw that in Fusion - and I would like to see it in the next WipEout as well.

bakkufu
1st December 2005, 07:59 PM
I tried to bear that in mind designing the GravBlade - added 4 stage fins to the wings and vectored thrust panels to the turbine exhaust.

Definately want to see more detail along those lines in future Wipeouts!

Dominator
1st December 2005, 09:50 PM
Agreed, more detail along the lines of working mechanisms on the ships would be nice, something similar to Fusion, "wow a positive for fusion, thats gotta be a first" ;)
And lets see more banking from a ship when turning into a corner, can't wait for the next installment of WO, lets hope they take some of our ideas on board :D

exarkann
4th December 2005, 11:23 PM
didn't wip3out have animated control surfaces?....*checks*... yup. i remember taking my sweet time on all the tracks so i could look at all the landscape and stuff and noticing that the control surfaces moved... i was impressed.

If we brought G-Police to WipEout, we'll have AG NFS Hot Pursuit! :P :lol:
.....co-existing multi-challenge league with "offroad" racing over water and stuff, racing with competitors on a super-long drag track filled with hazards, jumps and walls as well as A-to-B rallies. Any comments r welcome about this idea. :wink: :)

love that idea... i always envisioned a single ag sled on a long mostly straight with slow curves course in the middle of a huge grassland, the wake from the sled rippleing the long grass, the occasional water burst as it ran over a small creek or something similar... a-b courses would be a neat change from the current city runs..(not that i have a problem with them, i've just always wanted to take my sled off road)

[edited for my horrendious spelling]

Jittery-Joe
5th December 2005, 12:25 PM
On the whole Rudders and stuff in fusion but not in pure point: The PS2 is a helluva lot more powerful than the humble PSP, so it would have been possible to place these small details into Fusion, but the PSP's engine probably could not cope wioth handling that small an action over eight crafts over a simulated track of about 5km (according to the ingame text).
But, yes, it was a nice touch (except EGr's which was a little tiny thing that didn't seem to achieve much), and I would like to see it return.

Lance
5th December 2005, 02:41 PM
if you look at the specs, it seems as though the PSP should be able to do just about anything the PS2 can do. and i would certainly like to see some of these little details; they add so much more feeling of 'life' to a game

exarkann
6th December 2005, 01:20 AM
i'd love to see a return of the cockpit view. i play best when i cas see the world the way i'd see if i was really piloting...

Dominator
6th December 2005, 08:14 PM
You can play Pure with cockpit view, as you could with previous WO's, don't see any reason why any future WO game would exlude this option :)

exarkann
6th December 2005, 09:44 PM
no, not the nose cam... the cockpit cam, like in wip3out. the nose cam is like your strapped to the nose of the sled, and all the wipeouts have that. the cockpit cam is where you can actually see the interior of the cockpit, as if you are in it. i rock many socks while in that mode...

username
7th December 2005, 09:26 AM
i thought that that camera angle was good too! but i would like to see the front nose cone of the ship in-front of me to, for eg when playing in that camera angle in goteki 45 you cannot see the twin hull front!

Sausehuhn
17th December 2005, 02:17 PM
what do you think about motion blur? In NFSU it makes the whole thing look alot faster (than it actually is).
But it should be a feature that can be turned off and also should be regulable in terms of "power", because in NFSU it's too blurred when you reach top speed.

username
17th December 2005, 03:08 PM
i do not really like the idea of motion blur in the game as you are actually playing, but if it was an option in the replay menu then yes (assuming that the future wipeout has a replay option)

SMThomas
19th December 2005, 09:17 PM
what do you think about motion blur? In NFSU it makes the whole thing look alot faster (than it actually is).
But it should be a feature that can be turned off and also should be regulable in terms of "power", because in NFSU it's too blurred when you reach top speed.

I agree, motion blur makes it faster (and yeah there was a option to turn it off in NFSU for PC which I currently own) but however, since too much of it can make it go too far, it's ideal to have a fair amount of it so it's not too blurred and makes the graphics very realistic.

Rouni Kenshin#1
20th December 2005, 12:35 AM
I think an option on motion blur would be nice but only as long as they do it well. I played some games where the blur is so noticable that it distracts from the game. A game that does motion blur well is burnout.

Leftism
20th December 2005, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't motion blur just make it harder for you to see the tracks? If the tracks end up being far more longer with the sole emphasis on speed then fair do's, but if they're current tracks then it would make it a hell of a lot harder to see the track properly. As long as it was done properly then I wouldn't mind either way.

bakkufu
21st December 2005, 04:55 PM
Speaking of ideas from other driving games I've always wanted to edit replays like in gran turismo...

SMThomas
21st December 2005, 05:10 PM
Yea, that's a good idea; if Playstation 3 has a hard drive then that means we can store a lot of replays and if it allows music tracks to be stored in there and used for the WipEout game on that format, we can make music videos out of WipEout races! How cool is that?

P.S. Does the ability to use music tracks as background music in the next WipEout game sound like a good idea as well?

username
22nd December 2005, 12:28 PM
i wonder how big the ps3 hard drive is gonna be?
also it would be exellent if the new wipeout allowed you to save your replays!
i dont understand though, why does the ps3 need memory card slots if you can just save the game data directly to the hard drive?

Mobius
22nd December 2005, 01:11 PM
What if you want to flash your high scores or that secret character at your mates house? You dont want to lug a hard-drive about with you, do you?

username
22nd December 2005, 04:29 PM
oh yeah, didnt think about that! lol

i read somwere that the ps3 has six usb hubs on it. it would be good if you could save some replays to usb sticks! AND if the computer could recognise the replays as video files so that you could save it to your pc!

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2005, 05:53 PM
...or watch them on your PSP :o

hardcore qirex
23rd December 2005, 01:57 AM
There should be a wipeout with all the old craft, from the original, and XL, and the pilot customization sounds good too.

username
23rd December 2005, 11:41 AM
i agree there should be a wipeout in the seriese with ALL of the craft from the earlier series.

welcome hardcore qirex

Rouni Kenshin#1
24th December 2005, 02:40 AM
Hi hardcore, you mean kind of like burnout Legends? Would it have new or old tracks? New or old music? Or just old ships?

Distrupto
27th December 2005, 10:50 AM
Old tracks would be nice, but it would make the game too large and complicated.
Having old ships is a good idea as u can see how AGs evolved over time.

Lion
27th December 2005, 10:54 PM
how many tracks is too many?
pure (eu at least) has 32 if you include zone and I don't thnk that's too many at all

if you take the older games then there's 36 including prototypes from 1/2/64/3/3se plus the 8 areas (including the A-B races area) from fusion and 24 non-remake tracks from pure

hrmm I guess 60 basic tracks plus the 8 areas with multiple tracks probably is a bit much for one game :P even so, I'd still like to play a wipeout game with that many tracks in it :D

Lance
28th December 2005, 03:40 PM
how long do you want to wait for it? how much do you want to pay?

Airrider
28th December 2005, 05:52 PM
How about each team has a few different models, for example, Piranha offers modernized versions of its prototypes, as well as the Swiftkiller (except GOOD-LOOKING), something like that. One team per ship, a whole AG-busload of ships, a swarm of teams...too confusing to follow.

Rapier Racer
28th December 2005, 06:41 PM
Each team did have a few different models in wipeout Fusion and it didn't go down to well with most folk

Airrider
28th December 2005, 06:51 PM
Ouch. The infamous upgrades, right? Then forget it...I'm just afraid of there eventually being enough teams for Suikoden WipEout...*laughs*

Medusa
28th December 2005, 09:44 PM
What I would love to see in PS3 wipeout would be tracks which whip through some scenery that would still be around on earth in future (theoretically).
Pretend that, say Paris has been wiped out (sorry bad pun), and the twisted wreck of Eiffel tower still lays over the streets, the Metro tunnels still exist here and there...and a track goes through all of it!drool, drool...
Or take the track through a section of the Chunnel after the sea has collapsed it...
I don't want to see the world's scenery copied, I want to see what might still be around in a few centuries and fly past so fast I'm not sure exactly what it is until I see the replay...
("Warning...Plasma",(fire)...oh was that Mt.Everest??)
(Oh, and being up at mountain height could add some interesting anti-grav extras, like perhaps a little more speed, or less engine thrust due to thin air?)

Lion
28th December 2005, 10:08 PM
lance: the 68+ tracks thing is a nice dream but there's no expectation for it to ever be anything more than exactly that.

I like some of those ideas medusa :)

I'd like to see more environmental interaction.
like have certain pieces of track weapons-damagable (sp) so you could fall out through a gap created the previous lap, or have lumps of scenery as obstacles after they've been knocked onto the track.

at the moment wipeout pretty much puts you in an invulnerable tunnel.
even having set pieces that can be knocked down like in need for speed most wanted or rollcage could work if done right.

Airrider
29th December 2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, something to add a little immersion. For example, smashing neon signs if you jump too high on a certain track or something...

username
29th December 2005, 09:34 PM
imo: i think that it should me a massive 3 disc game where you have all of the old music and all of the old ships and all of the old tracks! (also a couple of new surprizes as usual...)

Distrupto
30th December 2005, 03:13 PM
3 discs in Blu-ray format? That means one wildly expensive game.:o

Beren
30th December 2005, 07:02 PM
But would you buy it? I would. Oh wait,... I'm poor.... maybe not. I had a 360 but got my money back to get married... so let's keep it cheap.:guitar :rock

SMThomas
5th January 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure if the 3 Blu-Ray Disc format is a good idea...

If this whole thing cost over £80 then that will certainly burn a hole in your pocket! (if you buy it of course)

SilentShadow13
5th January 2006, 09:16 PM
this is quite a bit different, but I think it could be a neat variation. Wipeout Battle. (or some other name) the basic idea is that the tracks would be designed to keep racers in a tight pack. weapon pads would be all over the place, and the AI is always super-aggresive. the race would end and you would get points for your finishing position, but you would also get quite a good amount of points for each opponent you eliminated. the psp might not be able to handle it, but then again, that little device just keeps astounding me. the tracks would have insanely banked turns, "figure eight" type segments (Good for collisions!) and jumps.

SMThomas
5th January 2006, 10:35 PM
That sounds good enough for WipEout Fusion 2 but nice ideas including the tracks though.

Lance
6th January 2006, 12:18 AM
sounds like Destruction Derby

Sausehuhn
6th January 2006, 11:51 AM
I would like one menu item that contains just infos about the teams, the tracks and all the other stuff.
It would be really interesting to read the whole stories of the different teams, to get infos about how the league was opened, which people made this possible and how tracks were built and which coplictations came up.

But the info texts should be long, featuring pictures etc. and contain small infos that could be interesting as well (for example: "why this and this track got this and this name")

This menu item should of course include the "visitor mode" we were talking about a few months ago. I mean that mode where you can fly over the track and move your cam to all directions to see all the details the programmers put into the tracks.

...btw: that sould be available for the ships as well...

SMThomas
6th January 2006, 02:52 PM
I like the information database and ship view ideas but visitor mode is alright. The ship information can be viewed as pop-up in ship selection as well as track information in track selection.

Airrider
6th January 2006, 08:47 PM
I second that. I like the ideas, it's streamlining them that'll be the real challenge...

Lion
6th January 2006, 09:23 PM
like rob said when tourist mode was last being talked about... all of these are great ideas that it would be cool to see developed further, but don't forget that the more time donated to implimenting each of them the less time donated to perfecting the core gameplay experience.
the extra information on the tracks and ships would probably be relatively simple to impliment, but tourist mode as an example would be a lot more time-intensive

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.. just reminding everyone of something else to consider.

personally, having the ultimate core game experience is the most important thing to me. all the fringe stuff would be great but I would be unlikely to use it more than once (that includes the extra info and backstory, I'd click past it)

ask yourself how many times you would usually watch a cut scene? the pure intro I think I have only watched 2 or 3 times since I got the game. it's not wasted though because it can also be used in advertising, the same could not necessarily be said for something like a tourist mode.

Sausehuhn
7th January 2006, 04:37 PM
I agree, Lion, the core gameplay is the most important thing for a new WipEout.
But I think the visitor mode could be used for adversements as well as the intro.
For example:
We've a game show here in Germany that does reviews about games, hardware etc.
And if the PS3 graphics are really good that mode is really the way to show the game's power and how much detail is put into the game.

I would also wait a few months more to get such extras. When the real game is finished SL could add extras like this in the following few months.
The game won't be a launch-title anyway, so it doesn't really matter if the game is released a few months later, does it?

Airrider
8th January 2006, 01:34 PM
They oughta do that kind of tour mode thing for the intros of each track.

Why not have one of those "We're here LIVE at..." rather than just a bored-sounding "Welcome...to..." thing. As that happens, how about a really energetic fly-over, focusing on key areas of the course?

And sooner or later, I believe that a WipEout sequel WILL appear on the Playstation. It's Sony's friggin' MARIO KART, it's been everywhere Sony's gone.

SMThomas
8th January 2006, 06:05 PM
How about "racing...in..." instead of "we are LIVE at..."? I like your idea about a preview of key areas before the race though.

P.S. Yes, it's a Sony's racer but not in the beginning because the first two titles were on Playstation, PC and Sega Saturn but still, the next WipEout is most likely to be made only for playstation because Pysgnosis/Studio Liverpool is creating titles for sony since the early 00's.

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th January 2006, 10:07 PM
saying that stuff like visitor mode and other stuff is not good is both right and wrong.

- If put in a new psp game space is not a problem(my little ifo thing i got when i bought my psp the UMD hold about 100 times more space than a CD-ROM.

-the bad news...Putting things like that in would take alot more time to create.

so the choice is more content more time less content less time.

Lion
8th January 2006, 10:33 PM
UMD = 1.8Gb iirc, so at the most optimistic it's around 2.8x the capacity of a 650mb cd

might be ~10x the density of a cd though

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th January 2006, 11:32 PM
Oops:redface: but any way that's dubble the space so it still is a lot of space considering they fit the games on half that.

SilentShadow13
9th January 2006, 07:24 PM
Perhaps a battle mode would be good then. like in the license things in fusion. the whole license thing was a bit dumb, as was the super weapon bit, but it could be neat as a selectable game mode. It might also be neat if you could create your own craft and select one of around 50 different skins for it. but info on the league's background would be neat.

SMThomas
10th January 2006, 03:52 PM
Craft Creation is a good idea and if we base it on NFS:U (so we can change parts and use vinyil on extrior for example), then that would be smashing...

bakkufu
10th January 2006, 04:18 PM
I have to say I think they could easily do a flyby of each track with commentary, either skippable at the beginning of TOURNAMENT races ( before any I only want to race 1 track replies are posted ) or perhaps when each new track is unlocked.

Sausehuhn
10th January 2006, 05:55 PM
but please make such movies (if they appear just once when you've unlocked something) unlockable or something. I like these movies and it would be great to watch them again later :)

oh: and make something like "congratulations! You've finished the game!" when you've 100%. A movie or some speical unlockable things would be great.
It's always that frustrating when you spend hours in a game and then, after you've finished, nothing happens...

Mobius
10th January 2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, then it should come up with a code for a website, and inside is a wipeout nirvana of goodies. That would make my day :)

Airrider
11th January 2006, 10:19 PM
How about a whole "challenge board" like what they had in Kirby Air Ride? That is, doing extraordinary things on certain tracks with certain machines (i.e., eliminate three opponents in one race, do three successful barrel rolls in one lap, etc.) will net you some other goodies.

Lion
12th January 2006, 02:25 AM
burnout legends does that too :)

Airrider
12th January 2006, 07:51 PM
Actually...so did Burnout 3, if I remember right. You could get photos, postcards...why don't they do something offbeat like that?

Boogie-man
13th January 2006, 08:06 PM
what i would like to c in the game are tracks which devides the road, and it wd b up 2 the pilot to decover which direction wd give him/ her the quickest time. taking this idea 2 the next level: some of the different direction wd b designed for an advanced player and a amiture player. for example the amiture direction wd b relitivly easy but the ease wd come at a price, it wd b impossible 2 get a comperative time (however on say vector speed the time wd be extended so it wd still b possible to get gold down hear) an advanced player wd figure out which direction and which game speed wd give him the fastest lap time, but this wd come at a price because its not the advanced direction for no reason. u wd av to hit ramps at jst the right part and at jst the right speed to jump a gap and say after u made the jump, the computer wd trigger a script to rotate a swing bridge, too slow n u wd b diverted to a longer route. in the say rapier and phantom u wd av 2 chose this direction to get gold. BASICLY lots of different options so advanced player wd b entertained for hours on such a track. so what do u guy think?

[KOD]SpYBOT
13th January 2006, 08:49 PM
I had this thought the other day actually..

I play Unreal Tournament 2004 religiously. There's a gametype called VCTF - vehicle capture the flag. I was explaining to my friend from another clan how great it would be if they had very large maps, like across a desert or something with the team command posts on either side.

Use vehicles like that of Wipeout, but big enough to fit 3 team members. 2 Gunners, one driver.

5 man teams. 2 guys to guard your home flag. 3 guys on offense to go and get the enemy flag.

Maybe I'm not sticking to Wipeout, but imagine online multiplayer with Wipeout craft in a UT environment... That'd be sweet!

:rock

[KOD] SpYBOT

Boogie-man
13th January 2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah man that sounds awesome! i jst wana c some veriation other then jst flyin around corners of different sharpnesses lol. altho this is fun, the potental for wipeout hasnt even scrached the surface yet!

eLhabib
13th January 2006, 09:16 PM
actually, there ARE parts of track in wipEout purE just like you described. for example, on anulpha pass there is a split - the low road is wide and has side rails, but it is winding and slow. the high road is very narrow and has no siderails, so you can fall off very easily, but it gives you a clear speed advantage, being dead straight and plastered with speed pads.

Mobius
14th January 2006, 01:26 PM
Don't forget Stanzer Inter also! That was a major talking point of Wip3out.

SMThomas
14th January 2006, 03:03 PM
SpYBOT']...There's a gametype called VCTF - vehicle capture the flag. I was explaining to my friend from another clan how great it would be if they had very large maps, like across a desert or something with the team command posts on either side.

Use vehicles like that of Wipeout, but big enough to fit 3 team members. 2 Gunners, one driver.

5 man teams. 2 guys to guard your home flag. 3 guys on offense to go and get the enemy flag.

Maybe I'm not sticking to Wipeout, but imagine online multiplayer with Wipeout craft in a UT environment... That'd be sweet!...

Well, the new WipEout craft in UT is good enough as new content for the same game but expanding the multiplayer, putting it online and improving it is a must for WipEout; multiplayer games are fun and best played online.

If we include multiplayer modes including Knockout Surival (last craft elminated every lap, last standing wins), Bomb Hold (pass the bomb type of thing), Destruction (great for fusion gamers!) and so on to the next WipEout then it will rock worldwide!

exarkann
15th January 2006, 09:11 AM
during the tourneys, your place in the pack at the begining of the race would actually reflect your standing in the tourney... instead of you always starting at the back of the pack....

Task
15th January 2006, 05:21 PM
Re: Splits in the track

This is an idea that's been in WO since the very first. Silverstream is famous for the uneven split at the end. Track splits can be very bad (Fusion, where if you stay on the ceiling on the Moon run then you fall off the track and have to respawn) or very good (like the man says, Stanza Inter is _still_ a topic of discussion!) and it seems like they should be used in moderation to be most effective.
In Pure it was decided that pitlanes were just track splits (which is very true, actually) and not good ones at that, and they were eliminated. So Pure is likely the WO that has the _fewest_ track splits.

Re: Initial Placement

I've always wanted a WO where the AI can actually fly and where you can earn the pole position. I figure it would work like this:
Every pilot has a "top time" for every track. This includes AI opponents. Whoever's racing the track, put together all their top times to determine starting order. So whoever's been fastest on that track in the past gets the first position, and the slowest is in the back. This way, when you start a new game (create a new pilot, same thing) you have all these empty values and you start at the back. After a race where you improve your best time you'll likely have a better start position for the next time you race that track.

Ideally, you'd have to race a track several times to get the gold. A couple times to win the 1st place position on the starting grid, and then a good race to beat the best time ever for the track.

Isn't that how initial placement is supposed to work? It's just data to store, no problem there. The big problem is making seriously good AI racers, but WO3 had great opponents on LS104. If only there was an option to have opponents of that skill throughout the whole game...

Rouni Kenshin#1
15th January 2006, 08:36 PM
Hay, i like that placement idea. It forces someone to really race the track not just go in and beat the AI once and never go back and race that track again. You could really go some where with that if they put online play built into the game in the next pure. You know, today you have the best time and get to start in 1st but tomarrow who knows.

Airrider
15th January 2006, 09:23 PM
I like that idea, too. I think I saw something like that in Forza Motorsport. What they do there is simulate qualifying by comparing your car's abilities to your opponents'. Best time qualifying sounds like a good idea. However, qualifying in most actual racing is done alone, with your best lap standing out. How about using Time Trial for that purpose?

Task
16th January 2006, 04:25 AM
I imagine it would work best if it was your "best time" for that track... irrespective of how you got that time. Be it TT, SR, or whatever. Certainly keep track of all of your best times for each type of race, but it's the best time you've ever made that would determine your initial placement.

That's what I'd think, anyway.

That way, you're not forced into playing TT to get a good placement, and you're not forced into playing the same race over and over again. You can mix it up any way you like. If you like doing a couple laps of TT and then doing the one good race, do it that way. If you hate doing TT, then just race till you beat the pack. Whatever, it should all be good.

At the end of the day, I think it's about beating _the_track_, not the opponents. They're just road pylons anyway. 8 )

eLhabib
16th January 2006, 10:05 AM
well then you obviously haven't played Arnaud, Lunar, and the other guys on xLink yet! 'pylons' that fire bombs, missiles and quakes constantly are quite tough to beat I tell ya! ;)

Tomahawk
16th January 2006, 04:29 PM
If you make the AI racers too good, you might probably scare off any newcomers to the game. Imagine somebody playing the game for the first time and to get first place in the starting grid the player has to beat a time which equals say 5th place in the WZ records tables. I spent a hard enough time during the last six weeks advancing to second or third place in the timetables on my favourite SE tracks... :coffee

I figure this can only work if you can adjust the game difficulty not only by the speed class (vector, venom, rapier, phantom) but also by the AI contender difficulty. For example you could give the AI contenders different "top times" for each difficulty mode.

Asayyeah
16th January 2006, 06:51 PM
For the future , i am nothing wrong with a kind of AI we have for Pure , not too tough but not as easy as it looks like. and then if you really want to experiment real AI , join online games where you can find opponents to your level & skill.

Kaï is today our only luck to have real intense fight. My 2 last experiences on it : When you finish a phantom race with 0.03 seconds ahead one of your mate , that's just amazing or when you backquake your friend :bomb ka-booom ( can't resist el ;) ) or been backquaked yourself : too funny.
That adds a real new dimension for that game, and i am sure online game will be there on PS3 wipeout

Lance
16th January 2006, 07:51 PM
RI is more fun than AI every time.

Dark Matter #2
19th January 2006, 04:51 PM
i would like to see a wipeout with customizable crafts
you know like different chassis and engine specs so u could have a craft that perfect for u