PDA

View Full Version : The Questions I want answered

Pages : [1] 2

yawnstretch
10th January 2005, 06:37 PM
Is it possible to get around the track at top speed with zero/very little use of the airbrakes (as it was in Wipeout 1 and 2097/XL)?
The turning capability of the ships is very important to me - I never liked to rely on airbrakes at all - I want full stream ahead with a loose feel to the ship (if there is no ship that can turn easily I will be very dissapointed).
- see Wipeout Fusion for reasons why ships should be able to manoeuvre! (The main reason I think a lot of people only liked The Zone in Fusion is because the prototype ship handled better than the Fusion ships.)

Can we choose our own music in-game (as we could to a certain extent in wipeout one and 2097/XL) using perhaps the music we have on our memory stick?
Not that the in-game music won't be good - Im sure it will be brilliant, but it would be nice to bop along to some earlier wipeout tunes too.

Will other people be able to make ships\ tracks\ other downloadables for Wipeout Pure?
I've heard that the Wipeout Pure downloadables will come from a certain website - will that be the only possible source for downloads? Are they free?

Will downloadable tracks be both real-world and 'tron'-style or just 'tron'-style?
Just wondering in terms of fitting stuff onto most people's 32MB stick - is this how it's going to be done or will new textures be part of a download (for those of us with larger memory sticks)

Is AG-Systems a confirmed team? Is there a storyline? What year is Pure set?
I'm not sure I want spoilers - this is definitely a question I want answered, but unlike the others, I think it can wait a bit ;)

I heard in an interview that there is some sort of wi-fi infinite track, does this mean that people can just join an already running game?
A bit more info on this would be cool.

Do ships respawn or die?

I've a Japanese PSP - I assume I will have no problem running the European release of the game, but will I be able to play wi-fi with a European PSP if both of us have a European Wipeout Pure?
Basically I'm wondering do I have to get rid of my Jap PSP :?

Anyone else got questions?

Rapier Racer
10th January 2005, 06:49 PM
I would like to know what teams are in there, a few can be identified from the video but that’s not really good enough I guess that a list of teams might be giving away too much info so there probably won't be one posted *sigh* I also want to know if there will be a storyline and if you can have your own music and again not that the in game music isn't good it would just be cool to be able to play your own

Colin Berry
10th January 2005, 11:17 PM
Hi Guys

I'd love to be able to answer your questions but at the moment I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say so I must err on the side of caution

I do know that lots more information will be coming out over the next few week, several magazines will be running features and articles soon, so hopefully they will give you all some answers.

I can confirm that the AG Systems Team is in the game and that the year is 2197
Oh and the games are multi region so it will work on a Japanese PSP fine.

I know its not much but is a little :)

Oh and please dont stop with the questions, just cos we might not be able to answer them today doesnt mean you cant ask them tomorrow !

Stan Getz
11th January 2005, 08:39 AM
I would like to play pure but not on a little screen. Is it possible to connect the PSP to my TV (or PS2)?

Mobius
11th January 2005, 03:27 PM
what i would love to see is an "UnrealEd" for this game...

you could make really cool tracks then - is this gonna be real or am i gona have to stick to messign around with ut?

yawnstretch
11th January 2005, 11:52 PM
Hi Guys

I'd love to be able to answer your questions but at the moment I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say so I must err on the side of caution

I do know that lots more information will be coming out over the next few week, several magazines will be running features and articles soon, so hopefully they will give you all some answers.

I can confirm that the AG Systems Team is in the game and that the year is 2197
Oh and the games are multi region so it will work on a Japanese PSP fine.

I know its not much but is a little :)

Oh and please dont stop with the questions, just cos we might not be able to answer them today doesnt mean you cant ask them tomorrow !

Thanks Colin! Once again you've made my day - ah where would I be without wipEout... where would I be?

(That's rheotorical btw) :wink:

yawnstretch
12th January 2005, 12:13 AM
More questions -

Can we do this? :D

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/downloads/talons_reach_phantom_tt.mpg

G'Kyl
12th January 2005, 05:22 AM
Don't know about the others, but I sure can't (yet - as I keep hoping). ;)

yawnstretch
12th January 2005, 04:27 PM
Well I can do a 16.9 but the point is it's important to have ships that can react fast for highspeed control.

Another question about Pure:

In a 2player game, can both players choose the same ship for the same race? (Provided they've unlocked it of course) as this means two hardcore gamers can have a fair race?

Rapier Racer
12th January 2005, 06:45 PM
In a 2player game, can both players choose the same ship for the same race? (Provided they've unlocked it of course) as this means two hardcore gamers can have a fair race?

which kind of made me think, will it be a case of selecting a ship at the team selection screen or selecting a ship with a stupid pilot? you see if it was just a ship and there were no pilots on the game then I can'tt see any good reason why two folk couldn't pick the same ship,

Dimension
13th January 2005, 07:27 PM
if there are to be downloadable ships then it is highly unlikely that there will be anything like pilots involved I would hasten a guess, bit too much work making 2 new pilots for every ships up for download i'd say :?

hoipexn
13th January 2005, 08:35 PM
what i really care about is if you can make and save your replays! save them to MSP and show them to your friends! that would be über :twisted:
if the game would look more like:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920780_20041210_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/004/920780_20050105_screen001.jpg

i'll be a very happy gamer! i just love this kind of scenery in a wipeout game! http://www.gaggia.org/smilies/geil.gif

edited by Lance

Rapier Racer
13th January 2005, 08:47 PM
uh-oh......*insert dun dun duuuuuun*

Shem
13th January 2005, 09:04 PM
can you hear it?.....
can you hear ?....it is....IT....!!!!
yes....it's.....WZ FORUM POLICY ON POSTING BIG IMAGES ON FORUMS.....and it screams .......

"DON'T DO IT BECOUSE DIALERS CAN'T HANDLE BIG IMAGES!!!'

(please post link to images next time)

I like to remind such things :)

hoipexn
13th January 2005, 09:32 PM
okay sorry! :oops:

eLhabib
13th January 2005, 09:39 PM
Well, about teams in pure:

By looking at the ingame movie released a couple of weeks ago, I can clearly make out the followong teams:

Feisar (looks just like the first tuning step in fusion)
Quirex (blue and purple, shape like the w3o one but a bit pointier)
Piranha (the classic yellow - red, shape is a mixture between wo2097 and w3o)
Auricom (looks almost exactly like in w3o)

those are the ships that could be easily made out, so I'm sure the teams will be in the game.

then there were four more ships that I couldn't clearly assign to a team:

a dark red one, arrow shaped, with white spray on it, could very well be ag-sys;
a cyan - orange ship, a bit bulky in shape, no idea what team... ;
a greenish - yellowish one, double barrel shape;
and another one which looks almost like the one above, might even be the same, I'm not sure, but it did look a lot like assegai from w3o.

thats it.
unfortunately, I don't know how to put images up here, but you can go to the wipeoutzone download section and check the movie out frame by frame for yourself.

thank god they're making another wipeout, it would have sucked to have fusion conclude this heavenly series!

Rapier Racer
13th January 2005, 09:47 PM
and another one which looks almost like the one above, might even be the same, I'm not sure, but it did look a lot like assegai from w3o.

*thumps fists on desk*

it bloody well better be!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Lance
13th January 2005, 10:10 PM
i have edited the heavy-image post for you, hoipexn. you can edit your own posts, btw, by hitting the edit button in the row of buttons at the top right of your post.

i'll have to check the admin controls to see if i can change the FAQ section on image posting, although i suspect that only a small percentage of new forum members would actually read it. so this sort of thing is likely to continue to recur, especially now that news of WipeoutPure is causing us to gain new members at a faster than average rate

Hybrid Divide
13th January 2005, 11:16 PM
I wonder if WipEout Zone is in the credits again! :D

Hybrid Divide
14th January 2005, 12:12 AM
Another question.

Do the CPU controlled craft use ALL the weapons at their disposal?

I'd like th have CPU craft that race along lines that can actually be raced on, and to use all weapons to win. It'd make things MUCH more realistic!

Hellfire_WZ
14th January 2005, 07:50 AM
I'm not too sure if that would work. While I agree with the racing lines, they used the weapons idea in Fusion, and it got pretty irritating after a while getting 3 quakes in a row up your backside. It sort of made it pot-luck whether you can actually make it round the track in one piece.

Is the backwards quake still there? That was a stroke of genius! :wink:

G'Kyl
14th January 2005, 09:45 AM
I too favor the idea of enemy crafts using all the weapons. As for quakes, it might work if players got a way to avoid damage and slowdowns from quakes and also having a warning spelled out before the ground hits them. Although I'm out of ideas as to what sort of defence would actually work against a quake.

Rapier Racer
14th January 2005, 10:11 AM
as another member said in another thread simply limit the amount of high damage weapons

Dimension
14th January 2005, 10:54 AM
probably yeah, a simple percentage drop for plasma bolts and quakes would do it, can't be passing 11 ships and having 4 launch plasma bolts at you as you pass lol

zargz
15th January 2005, 12:44 PM
I'm not too sure if that would work... they used the weapons idea in Fusion, and it got pretty irritating after a while getting 3 quakes in a row up your backside. It sort of made it pot-luck whether you can actually make it round the track in one piece. so you wanna go through the game in 1-2 hrs? :D
C'mon man! there must be Some resistance! 8)
imo better get fist on the last straight after a tight race :wink:
than first after 3 corners and race TT from there :?

Is the backwards quake still there? That was a stroke of genius! :wink: wouldnt think so coz no backview :cry:
but if you are afr ahead, racing with a friend, do as I did a couple of times - turn around, unleash the Quake eliminating your friend, turn back and go on winning the race! :rock_on

Mobius
15th January 2005, 12:57 PM
just do what u did in 2097 and press down while firing...

Colin Berry
15th January 2005, 03:12 PM
There is a rearview it is on Triangle as default (change cam is on select as default) - Idont know where the rumour started that there wasnt one, but it is there !

The Quake does not fire backwards - that was a lesson we learnt from Fusion :D

stin
15th January 2005, 03:31 PM
Is the backwards quake still there? That was a stroke of genius! :wink: wouldnt think so coz no backview :cry:
but if you are afr ahead, racing with a friend, do as I did a couple of times - turn around, unleash the Quake eliminating your friend, turn back and go on winning the race! :rock_on

Yeah meaning of what I had done to you as you quoting :wink:

stevie :roll:

Sausehuhn
15th January 2005, 04:14 PM
can we conect the PSP to a TV-screen?

I've heard this two ways:
PSP -> TV-screen
PSP -> PS2 -> TV-screen

So maybe we need a PS2 for conecting.

...And of course I've heard you can't conect it...

does any body know something about this?

zargz
15th January 2005, 04:39 PM
There is a rearview it is on Triangle as default :rock_on :guitarist Oh Happy Days!!! :dizzy :rock_on :hyper :guitarist :mr-t yeah!

eLhabib
15th January 2005, 05:26 PM
why would anyone want to connect his psp to a tv? firstly, the psp has a 480p display, so your average tv set sucks in comparison! and secondly, psp's graphics are great, but only the size they are made for... it's definitely not gonna look as good on a big screen!

Mobius
15th January 2005, 05:35 PM
i have seen psp games full screen - as on a 28 inch telly and they dont look too ugly there at all.

as for the ds...well lets say don't bother

Hellfire_WZ
15th January 2005, 07:47 PM
I'm not too sure if that would work... they used the weapons idea in Fusion, and it got pretty irritating after a while getting 3 quakes in a row up your backside. It sort of made it pot-luck whether you can actually make it round the track in one piece. so you wanna go through the game in 1-2 hrs? :D
C'mon man! there must be Some resistance! 8)

I think there's a difference between "some" resistance and just downright pwnage coming up your tailpipe! :wink: It wasn't really the slowing down effect it caused that bothered me, just the ridiculous damage. Hell, I don't even mind the odd plasma bolt, at least that can miss!

The Quake does not fire backwards - that was a lesson we learnt from Fusion :D

Heh, I guess you're right. Fun though it was, it was a little bit OTT when you think about it.

Another question. Will there be any extra modes in Pure that are different from time trial and elimination, seeing as I take it Zone mode has been ditched? (:()

Colin Berry
15th January 2005, 08:45 PM
I think Foxy has mentioned it somewhere else, but just to be on the saf side - You cant connect your psp to a tv output at all

>> Zone mode ditched ???

not at all !!

refined yes, ditched, no.

as for the backwards Quake - it was a factor (one of several) in imbalancing Fusion in my humble opinion. Backwards quakes were too powerful and to be honest, the mantra for Pure has been less weapons, more racing, going back to the roots yadda yadda yadda.
So ditching the backwards quake was a very early and easy decision as it conflicted with our main aim.

zargz
15th January 2005, 09:02 PM
Man! More Great news!! Back to basics! 8)

DuraFlex
15th January 2005, 10:08 PM
Yeah, this is very cool. I think this is one of the few games where the developers realy listen to the wishes of the community. Keep it up!!!

This game looks very promising, I'm even hesitating of buying a PSP for it (not alone for this game offcourse, but its a big factor).

G'Kyl
16th January 2005, 07:57 AM
Yeah, this is very cool. I think this is one of the few games where the developers realy listen to the wishes of the community.

But they often do. They just don't succeed that often. ;)

Oh, and a big cheer from me for that "less weapons, more racing" line. :)

Ben

Hellfire_WZ
16th January 2005, 08:55 AM
>> Zone mode ditched ???

not at all !!

refined yes, ditched, no..

YOU HAVE JUST MADE MY DAY!!! :D :D Seriously, I'd heard nothing about it since Pure was announced and I assumed it wasn't in it! Brilliant!

Rapier Racer
16th January 2005, 02:11 PM
what about reflectors, do you get them in Pure?

Glockster0
16th January 2005, 11:25 PM
What I Want to know from Mr Berry is what about Classic Non Fusion Pitch control nose up & down for handling is it there or not & if not no PSP Nor Pure here?!?!

Thruster2097
17th January 2005, 10:28 AM
well I cant say for sure but I believe that the "up-down pitch controls" are in. It has been an integral part of wipeout to be able to adjust the pitch of the nose to suit the terrain.

If pure is being pitched as a racing sim now, does that mean we get slipstreaming (or drafting) effects?
and also how is the turbo working now, is there any turbo-in-exchange-for-sheild-energy (ala W3out) or just a boost pickup, or nothing. Personally I think the W3 style involves more pilot skill, and better suits the racing emphasis.

G'Kyl
17th January 2005, 01:11 PM
As far as I know, Pure has buttonthrust instead of hyperthrust. ;)

infoxicated
17th January 2005, 02:38 PM
Pure has turbo as a pick up. There is no Wipeout 3 style energy reservior that you can use to give you a boost.

Thruster2097
17th January 2005, 09:42 PM
:o
well, it is back to its roots I suppose..

Rapier Racer
17th January 2005, 09:47 PM
awww *insert devastatingly devastating dissappiontment*

hoipexn
17th January 2005, 10:26 PM
anybody have a date for europe? they say 15th of march along with the PSP, but i'm not sure.

at the same time i also can't wait for the announcement of Wipeout Five for the PS3.
that game must have awesome graphics and customisable tracks and ****.
downloading new maps and customising your own ship would be great!

a bit of a disappointment they didn't put these things in Pure.....

Rapier Racer
17th January 2005, 10:45 PM
would Pure not count as wipeout 5? and why isn't Amazon listing the PSP anymore? I've also read that the Euro PSP release date is March 25th

G'Kyl
18th January 2005, 06:16 AM
at the same time i also can't wait for the announcement of Wipeout Five for the PS3.

Let Pure make its impresson before they confuse gamers with yet another WO. :)

that game must have awesome graphics and customisable tracks and ****.
downloading new maps and customising your own ship would be great!

a bit of a disappointment they didn't put these things in Pure.....

Seriously? Pure has the awesome graphics as well as downloadable ships and tracks. That's enough online for me. About customising the ships - I don't know, the specific design of the ships has always been so typically Wipeout. I, at least, probably wouldn't let players put green and red dots on an AG Systems racer. ;)

Ben

eLhabib
18th January 2005, 08:04 AM
i agree, the team colors should always stay the same, but int would be damn cool to cutomize your own pilot logo!

as for upgrading the different perimeters of the ships - i wouldn't like that! hey, you got at least 4 different speed classes and a whole bunch of ships with different stats, shouldn't that be enough? just pick what you like. and if you ge better, pick a faster class an a more challenging, but also more rewarding ship.

Hybrid Divide
18th January 2005, 09:00 AM
Do you know if there will be a way you can reset the controls so you don't have to "hold" down the button to fire a weapon?

I really like the idea of just having to tap the button to fire.

eLhabib
18th January 2005, 09:05 AM
who said you have to hold em down? never heard of that before...

G'Kyl
18th January 2005, 09:18 AM
Do you know if there will be a way you can reset the controls so you don't have to "hold" down the button to fire a weapon?

I don't understand. Where do you have to do this in WO? I always tapped, as far as I remember. ;)

hoipexn
18th January 2005, 10:27 AM
Seriously? Pure has the awesome graphics as well as downloadable ships and tracks. That's enough online for me. About customising the ships - I don't know, the specific design of the ships has always been so typically Wipeout. I, at least, probably wouldn't let players put green and red dots on an AG Systems racer. ;)

Ben
great! downloadable tracks, how many tracks will they make for us to load?
can we play Pure forever or are they gonna quit making new tracks and ships after a few month?

G'Kyl
18th January 2005, 12:11 PM
great! downloadable tracks, how many tracks will they make for us to load? can we play Pure forever or are they gonna quit making new tracks and ships after a few month?

I wouldn't assume that's been decided yet. They'll probably see how the game will be received and how big the demand for new content is going to be. I am sure, though, we won't get a new track and ship every month. And they will certainly stop making new stuff for at some point ;), probably depending on how well Pure does in sales.

Ben

DuraFlex
18th January 2005, 02:55 PM
Yep, and after this happened they'll probably release some new stuff again to promote a next game in the series (I'm hoping for one allready).

G'Kyl
18th January 2005, 03:14 PM
Yep, and after this happened they'll probably release some new stuff again to promote a next game in the series (I'm hoping for one allready).

As long as Pure doesn't turn out to be a total failure, Sony certainly won't let go of one of their most highly renounced franchises. So keep waiting. ;)

edit by Lance: Ben, did you mean renowned rather than renounced? i assume so since only total failure of Pure might motivate Sony to a renunciation. i bring this up since you are a linguist interested in perfecting your use of the language. your usage is generally very very good, better than most native speakers of English. sigh. now if only i had some German language skills to perfect, but alas i have none.

Sven
18th January 2005, 07:36 PM
the mantra for Pure has been less weapons, more racing, going back to the roots yadda yadda yadda.Does this mean no eliminator? Eliminator was fun...

jospicy
19th January 2005, 08:44 AM
i'm up for the back to the roots approach but i want to know if software will be released to design tracks and ships?
[b] suggestion: [b] if a ship editor was released stats could be set THPS3 style but having a fixed number of stats that can be shifted to the pilots liking i dunno how this would work in practice but the theory seems like a good idea to me

zargz
19th January 2005, 10:10 AM
THPS3 8O :?:

eLhabib
19th January 2005, 10:30 AM
@ zargz: Tony Hawk's Pro skater 3

and yes, that would indeed be a good system to go by! haven't thought of that before! like, if you have stats like in w3o, you would get a total of 12 points to distribute, so you could set all four stats to the average 3 points, or push a single stat up to six, but sacrificing part of the other stats. hey, that would work! as long as there is a limitation on how much points you can put on a single stat! I don't wanna have speed 12(!) ships passing me by...

zargz
19th January 2005, 10:35 AM
ok. thanks! :D

and I agree it could be minimum 2 points/stat then u got 4 pts to distribute :roll:

I'd have 5 speed and 3 turning! 8)
2 sield 8O 2 accel :?

hmm .. :roll:

i dunno :lol:

Oh! and if speed set on 6 then turning should go down to 1 ! :twisted:
for balance 8)

may be shield go upp 1 as turning go down 1? :roll:

eLhabib
19th January 2005, 11:52 AM
STOP THAT! :wink:
it will not be realized anyway... :(

Mobius
19th January 2005, 01:58 PM
eliminator is in the game - yes i know i'm not Colin but im sure i saw it said somewhere on the net.

erm google, could you give me a hand here, i'm lost.

Rapier Racer
19th January 2005, 02:00 PM
ok. thanks! :D

and I agree it could be minimum 2 points/stat then u got 4 pts to distribute :roll:

I'd have 5 speed and 3 turning! 8)
2 sield 8O 2 accel :?

hmm .. :roll:

i dunno :lol:

Oh! and if speed set on 6 then turning should go down to 1 ! :twisted:
for balance 8)

may be shield go upp 1 as turning go down 1? :roll:

A feature like that seems rather pointless, that's basically an Icaras you've got there, surely the eight teams that are there already provide enough variety for everyone? The only good thing about a custom ship feature would be if you have your own design of ship with your own logo and paint

zargz
19th January 2005, 02:15 PM
you are right and so is el_habib .. :cry:
about the design :idea: i think ships should look the same But we shuould be able to change the basic 2 or 3 colors (RGB)
so if 8 people play multiplayer all with auricom (good in multipl coz of even stats) then then know who is who 8)
Oh! btw I really hope there are no arrows on top of my head in multiplayer! :?
option to turn it off perhaps?? :roll:
:idea: May be choose between arrow, name/ tag(half transparent, not that big and/or apere when getting close to craft ) or nothing!
wo64s solution was great :arrow: different color of the engine flare! :idea:

Colin Berry
19th January 2005, 04:10 PM
eliminator is in the game - yes i know i'm not Colin but im sure i saw it said somewhere on the net.

erm google, could you give me a hand here, i'm lost.

Sorry Mobius, Eliminator isnt in the game, the report must have been very mistaken as its never been there....

As for a track building tool - we use Maya for building and designing all tracks, creating a standalone editor that was good enough to do everything we wanted it to do would take a huge amount of time. Literally months and months and months

hmmm all bad news today I guess, sorry.

Mobius
19th January 2005, 04:24 PM
and it happened to be the answers to both my questions...

oh well - the unreal engine was made with maya (and other alias programs) so the good news is the environments should be pretty impressive.!

YAY!

Sven
19th January 2005, 06:34 PM
Colin, will user-created content (themes, tracks, etc.) be possible? Will the official downloads cost money, and will we be able to back them up on our computer?

yawnstretch
19th January 2005, 07:41 PM
:o
So - hows the game progressing? What have some of the harder parts been? Was a '2097'-style physical engine hard to replicate? Do you guys get access to all the archive material from any of the original games?

Did you guys get many PSPs for development - if so when did you get them, how many did you get and also any idea when the website for pure will go up?

Ok... so there may be more than one question there... :twisted:

Glockster0
20th January 2005, 12:43 AM
What I Want to know from Mr Berry is what about Classic Non Fusion Pitch control nose up & down for handling & jump distance modification is it there or not & if not no PSP Nor Pure here?!?! :!: :?: :!: :?: :brickwall

Colin Berry
20th January 2005, 12:56 AM
What I Want to know from Mr Berry is what about Classic Non Fusion Pitch control nose up & down for handling & jump distance modification is it there or not & if not no PSP Nor Pure here?!?! :!: :?: :!: :?: :brickwall

Seeing as I am still up (and you've asked twice :) ) Pitch control is in and its more in line with the earlier versions of the game, it still needs a little refinement but it is very close to how we want it.

While I am here...
Just so everyone knows, I dont ignore any of the questions on here, many of them I simply cant answer at the moment, but with each day and week that passes a little more is revealed, thats not down to any arsyness its just down to the way things work. If something goes unanswered its not that its ignored, everything (within reason :lol: ) will be answered eventually :D

Glockster0
20th January 2005, 02:38 AM
Ah Yeah Lol Okie Doke Please Drive Through :arrow: :D :rock_on 8)

DuraFlex
20th January 2005, 09:26 AM
When you go out of track will you be brought back by the "Wuss Wagon", spawn back or is it impossible to go out of track?

Dont know if its asked before, didnt find it somewhere so ...

zargz
20th January 2005, 12:45 PM
if wuzz wagon is there do make it as slow as in wo1 and/or would be good if it brougt you back very close to the place you left! 8)

My question :arrow: Is there going to be a Replay ??

Preaterea censeo Cartagine esse delandam

yawnstretch
20th January 2005, 04:22 PM
Regarding the wuss wagon, pre-fusion it was ok. Fusion's off-track system was awful as it often returned you to a completely different part of the track (suddenly you were last or first in the race).

I think the wuss wagon was cooler and more realistic looking than a simple respawn (which ruined the immersive/escapism nature of the game) but I don't agree that it should move any slower - that could be truly annoying.

yawnstretch
20th January 2005, 04:27 PM
Interesting to hear how you're working on the tilt up tilt down issue.
Personally I would tilt (or try to) on my d-pad in wipeout one and 2097 but using an analogue will be a change for me in wipeout (I dont really include fusion as the control system wasnt sensitive enough).

If the analogue doesnt work out control-wise on pure ill be using the d-pad in the hopes that its control technique matches wipeout 1 & 2.

G'Kyl
20th January 2005, 04:39 PM
I agree. A slow wuss wagon also breaks down the flow of the game, which isn't a good thing for a Wipeout game. I'd rather like to see some sort of tractor beam, though. It takes away a lot of realism to imagine a craft picking up these ridiculously fast-going engines up at any time, anywhere (and then putting them back on track in slow-motion ;) ).

Ben

Rapier Racer
20th January 2005, 08:11 PM
Are Assegai in the game?

eLhabib
20th January 2005, 10:49 PM
I have seen another short clip of pure today, and I saw a ship that looked really A LOT like the assegai ship (as I reported in an earlier thread). this time also the colors were matching. so I'm pretty sure assegai is in there.

Angryman
26th January 2005, 01:42 PM
Can someone make sure we get some night time or twilight racing, I dont know if it would be a good idea on the small PSP screen but it would be cool to see some darker lit tracks.. like the orinal wipeout...
it's looking good but too happy for my liking.. i'll still buy Pure regardless though and whore it, but it would be nice.

And:
I'm assuming it's been answered before somewhere... but, is that crappy ship upgrade feature gone?? Are we back to Classes?

Mobius
26th January 2005, 01:56 PM
there are 5 speec classes in pure i heard on the gamespot....yay!

zargz
26th January 2005, 02:00 PM
Could the 5th be Zone? :roll:

Preaterea censeo Carthaginem esse delandam

infoxicated
26th January 2005, 03:19 PM
nope...

zargz
26th January 2005, 04:13 PM
:mrgreen: LOL

Preaterea censeo Carthaginem esse delandam

Rapier Racer
26th January 2005, 06:44 PM
Unless it's faster than Phantom 8O 8O 8O I can't really see the point of having a 5th class, can you?

G'Kyl
26th January 2005, 08:38 PM
Not really. I seriously wonder where else another class would fit in. So hopefully Pure DOES go faster than Phantom. Yes, I think I'd like that. :)

yawnstretch
26th January 2005, 11:26 PM
Ok, I've just played wipeout 1, wipeout 2097, wipeout 3se and wipeout fusion (over the past 5 hours) to re-examine where things went wrong over time. (Mostly with Fusion).

Wipeout one had unbelieveable track design - the corners were nigh-on perfect tests - if you messed up you had to hit an airbrake or hit a wall. On the other hand, if you got it right you could sail around every corner without the airbreaks (airbrakes single-handedly destroyed wipeout fusion for me).

I would even go so far as to say I would forgive Fusion it's bounciness issues if they had allowed the player to let go of the damned airbrakes. It seems to me that in Fusion almost every single corner required you to push left or right whilst tapping an airbreak constantly to make the ship turn.

Now that's a fatal mess. Airbrakes are for breaking - NOT for turning. Game handling that gives you no choice but to press two buttons at once to complete one function (ie turning a corner - and not even turning but strafing horribly) is flawed handling.

Wipeout one and 2097 had tracks that worked in tandem with the various ship's turning capabilities. The tracks were good, and the handling was right. Only if you messed up your turn would you have to resort to an airbrake (and only a touch at that).

Fusion could have either adjusted its tracks to compensate for the ships inadequate turning ability or they could have fixed the turning to be more like 2097 (which seemed to orientate the ships nose slightly forward, and swing the ship nicely around corners for you on each left-press/right-press).

Strangely it seems to me that (apart from the bouncing effect) Fusion did realise an almost correct-handling ship in it's zone mode so I don't understand why players had to absolutely over-use the airbrakes for every other ship in the main game in order to get around 70%+ of the track corners.

I realise this is my own opinion, but Im not alone with the wipeout players that I know in the real world who agree with me in this way with regard to Fusion's handling.

To be honest I don't have as much to criticize about wipeout 3 (although there are a few things I could say about it, but I have way more issues with Fusion than I did with 3).

I thought Fusion's music was wonderful. I thought the graphics were a dream. I thought the zone-mode ship had pretty decent turning ability. Pity about the handling of the in-game ships which moved like slow pong-paddles; sucking the fun clean out of what would otherwise have been a brilliant piece of work.

Please Pure - let your ships be free to move! Don't be afraid to let players reach the speeds they desire! If you're concerned about making it too easy to get around - throw in some nice speed pads to reward/punish the brave/foolish.

Ok - midnight moan is over. :oops:

Lance
28th January 2005, 02:58 PM
Colin, i have not noticed my beloved Icaras in any of the screenshots i've seen. does this mean that the Icaras team is definitely not in Pure? if it isn't, is there any ship like it, mAximum speed with less than the best handling? [ Icaras always looks the part of the fastest, being the sleekest and longest of ships. possibly the length is what reduces easy handling.]

infoxicated
28th January 2005, 03:40 PM
Piranha could be the ship you seek to replace the Icaras. :)

Lance
28th January 2005, 03:51 PM
i hope it isn't as boringly perfect as it is in 2097/XL

Rapier Racer
28th January 2005, 03:54 PM

hmm but how?

"mAximum speed with less than the best handling"

are you saying piranhas handling stats have taken a beating or something?

zargz
28th January 2005, 05:16 PM
i hope it isn't as boringly perfect as it is in 2097/XL. same here! :|
I also hope for a more even starting field! Ok with feisar and 1 more for beginners but imo auricom, AG-sys, Qirex, piranha, assegai
should more even so we really can compete with our favorite craft and be able to win over others racing with their favorite vehicle! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif ..

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Lance
28th January 2005, 05:23 PM
Feisar is one of my favourites, because of its classic logical simple looks. just too slow, dammit

zargz
28th January 2005, 05:28 PM
In that case it should have the lowest handling preferably 1 8O !!!
for giving the slightly (or much ) slower a fair chance in the races and TT! 8)

coz the Zone is gon' be there anyway for the extremely high speed junkies, right? http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif

Lance
28th January 2005, 05:53 PM
but i want Icaras or similar for regular races, just as i prefer the fast but imperfectly maneuverable Qirex in 2097/XL

zargz
28th January 2005, 10:52 PM
you see lance, that's what i want too
here are the speed stas in my perfect wo3 world :D

feisar 2
goteki 3
auricom 4
piranha 4
ag-sys 4
Qirex 4
assegai 3 or 4 didn't think about that yet
icaras 5 ---> handling 1

or somthing like that ..
I didnt think about it that specific before til now

no boost! perhaps one / lap !
that way the acceleration stat at least means something! :?

In Coiln mcRae rally the differance between the cars is a few kg and very little engine power.
The cars are almost identical in prestanda - that way you can choose your favorite - ford, hundai or whatever.
That even start grid I don't want but as I described above, I think'd be Great ! 8)

.. 5 min later :arrow:

after i gave it a thought here are the speed + handling stats 8O

feisar spd 2 hand 5
goteki spd 3 hand 4
assegai spd 3 hand 5
piranha spd 4 hand 4
auricom spd 4 hand 3
ag-sys spd 4 hand 3
Qirex spd 4 hand 2
icaras speed 5 hand 1

low handling should give some higher acceleration like :arrow:

feisar spd 2 hand 5 acc 4
goteki spd 3 hand 4 acc 4
assegai spd 3 hand 5 acc 3
piranha spd 4 hand 4 acc 3
auricom spd 4 hand 3 acc 4
ag-sys spd 4 hand 3 acc 2
Qirex spd 4 hand 2 acc 3
icaras speed 5 hand 1 acc 2

icaras punished with low turn & acc coz of highest speed

and now we throw in some shield - should be about 3 for everyone more for the slowest :arrow:

feisar spd 2 hand 5 acc 4 shield 5
goteki spd 3 hand 4 acc 4 shield 5
assegai spd 3 hand 5 acc 3 shield 4
piranha spd 4 hand 4 acc 3 shield 3
auricom spd 4 hand 3 acc 4 shield 3
ag-sys spd 4 hand 3 acc 2 shield 3
Qirex spd 4 hand 2 acc 3 shield 3
icaras speed 5 hand 1 acc 2 shield 3 or 2?

all of this can be refined of cource but just for you to see what I was thinking! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif

as I said above - for even greater speed freaks there'd be the zone mode with a prototype craft to go with it !

prototype craft - speed 9* handling 3 acc 3 shield 3

* why must 10 always be the highest number? 8)

.. .. after 10 more min some minor changes :arrow:

feisar spd 2 hand 5 acc 4 shield 5
goteki spd 3 hand 4 acc 4 shield 5
assegai spd 3 hand 5 acc 4 shield 3
piranha spd 4 hand 4 acc 3 shield 3
auricom spd 4 hand 3 acc 4 shield 3
ag-sys spd 4 hand 3 acc 2 shield 4
Qirex spd 4 hand 2 acc 3 shield 3
icaras speed 5 hand 1 acc 2 shield 2

looks pretty even to me from assegai/piranha and up!

AG-sys extra shield coz of low acc
icaras low of everything coz of high speed

AG-sys has 2 acc and Qirex 2 handling but for sure wipers who love theses teams will race with them anyway
just to proof they are better than auricom and piranha and especially icaras that btw with this stat also will have something to proof!

Voila!

and finaly with a more even startgrid the multiplayer game wont look like the All Auricom Yearly Gathering! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif

this post ended much bigger than I intended it to be - 10 lines or so but it feels good to share it with you boys and gals! :mrgreen:

any thoughts?

cheers! 8)

Dimension
29th January 2005, 12:07 AM
I'd like the Qirex to be the fastest personally, I mean come on, being that wide, that heavy and that hard to steer, it's just made for that role! :D Probably just because I love Qirex ships, but whatya gonna do, getting rid of the icaras will leave room for that too :P And if not the fastest then at least with a slightly higher speed than the AG 5y5, the handling with the AG means you can cut corners and lines neater so with even speed stats, the Qirex loses out :?

Not sure what to think about the Piranha, can't see them going back to the old weaponless prototype idea because we've already seen the problems encountered in the tables with super ships :|

I again would like to see Feisar with a higher top speed stat, the whole idea of Vector and Venom is to introduce people to the game, why make a ship that makes even that too easy to be fun, only to then become useless in the higher classes for those who like to use it? 8O

Oh well, I guess that's just me wanting it nice and equal so we don't get another Porta Kora TT table *offs to play spot the non-icaras*

Colin Berry
29th January 2005, 12:27 AM
One of the earliest decisions I took was to have no real hierarchy in the ships (such as that in Fusion)
Some are better at some things, some are worse, but all have their uses, and due to track design, sometimes you need something a little quicker, sometimes something a little slower - horses for courses :D
We have worked hard to balance the ships so that they all feel different, yet none are excessively good, or bad - its not been easy !! BUT I honestly think we've nailed it. That did mean some sacrifices from tradition - example, Piranha is quick but doesnt have the best handling. However they are sacrifices we thought were worthy, plus we tried to keep the 'traditions' as best we could, so Feisar wont suddenly be the fastest thing around for example.

As for the Icarus it is not in the main game, ie on the UMD (I might get in trouble for saying that, and this but...) however bare in mind we have a fair bit of downloadable content that will be available... .. *ahem*
But I really cant talk about any aspect of the download stuff yet, except to say its ace :lol:
Go to a newsagent and browse the latest mags, more info is appearing all the time !

its 1.30 am, I left at 5.30 today, two pints with mr infoxicated, and I slept like a log from about 8 until an hour ago, ho hum back to work in 8 hours.....

lunar
29th January 2005, 12:32 AM
One of the earliest decisions I took was to have no real hierarchy in the ships (such as that in Fusion)
Some are better at some things, some are worse, but all have their uses, and due to track design, sometimes you need something a little quicker, sometimes something a little slower - horses for courses :D

sounds perfect!! If you have nailed it that`ll be awesome. :D

Dimension
29th January 2005, 12:33 AM
OK then, i shall stop with all the nay saying and nit picking and trust in you guys, here's to hoping! :D

Lance
29th January 2005, 12:37 AM
but Colin, you're working on something you like. yes? :D

zargz
29th January 2005, 12:41 AM
Agreed on the feisar thing! Even closer stats'd be good. Like speed rangind between 3-5
Also higher scale for stats --> differance between speed 4 and 5 is bigger than btween 7and 8 or 9 and 10! --> thinking in % !
Then sppeds could range between 6 - 10. yes it's the same as 3-5 but Qirex -icaras could be 9-10 equivalent of 4,5 - 5 in the 1-5 scale! 8)
anybody follow this? :|
:D hehe!

Colin Berry
29th January 2005, 01:18 AM
Agreed on the feisar thing! Even closer stats'd be good. Like speed rangind between 3-5
Also higher scale for stats --> differance between speed 4 and 5 is bigger than btween 7and 8 or 9 and 10! --> thinking in % !
Then sppeds could range between 6 - 10. yes it's the same as 3-5 but Qirex -icaras could be 9-10 equivalent of 4,5 - 5 in the 1-5 scale! 8)
anybody follow this? :|
:D hehe!

I know what you mean :lol:
The scale you'll seen in Pure (initially anyway) will be 2-5
Having said that these scales are more for manuals etc, the under the bonnet figures give huge scope for small improvements, for example the stat may say 2 out of 5, but in code it might be closer to 2.2 although we dont actually use figures like that when the data side is done (I wish we did it would be simpler !)

example the feisar engine power (which is the main thing behind speed) in Vector is something like 267 ------ 267 what you cry, well its just 267 !
that not its speed in kph or mph, its more complicated, its just the figure that equates to the speed we want it to have once the other figures have impacted on it. If that makes sense.

Funny enough one thing we did early on was a balancing table similar to the one Zargz posted ! that became our guide, but aside from shield, which is a singular value, all the other aspects - handling, speed, thrust, airbrakes, all have half a dozen stats that give the final effect.
We can up the engine power to increase speed, but we also need to take into account, the fall and rise of the engine power, the forward and side friction, the mass etc.

In short, each ship has about 30 or so figures for each class !
Many remain constant, we find something that gives a desired effect and it can remain constant over each class or possible scale it up - however some things scale up in ways that make sense, others in ways that dont !

example (and these are example figures !)
To give a light ship a top speed of say 1000kph we work out a number for the engine power
apply that to a slightly heavier ship and it might only reach 900k, but we want the heavier ship to reach 1000kph so we fiddle with it til we get it right !
give the same figure from the light ship to an equally light ship that has different acceleration and it might not reach 1000kph due to track design, so it might need extra engine power, giving it the potential for 1050kph, but we know it wont ever reach that.

I dunno if all that makes any sense, I'll explain it properly one day :P

Colin Berry
29th January 2005, 01:19 AM
but Colin, you're working on something you like. yes? :D

YES !

but to be honest, after over a year, I just want it finished !!! and I want my first real holiday abroad for 8 years ! :D :D :D

zargz
29th January 2005, 03:45 AM
*serena williams just won the ozzy open .. 8)

Colin, you just made my .. night ?! :mrgreen:
Great news man! And keep up the good work! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ok.gif
Cheers!

Lance
29th January 2005, 04:44 AM
Colin said:
'' ...but aside from shield, which is a singular value, all the other aspects - handling, speed, thrust, airbrakes, all have half a dozen stats that give the final effect.
We can up the engine power to increase speed, but we also need to take into account, the fall and rise of the engine power, the forward and side friction, the mass etc.''

oo, a more complex physics model. i like that. do you also include aerodynamic resistance due to velocity and also due to the changes in the coefficient of drag caused by the change of effective ship form and frontal area which occur with changes in angle of attack [pitch up/pitch down and yaw]?
or is that included in ''forward and side friction''?

zargz
29th January 2005, 05:10 AM
' the fall and rise of the engine power' sounds like acceleration to me :D
the more the marryer?
Think about fusion - I think there were like 100 parameters / craft! didn't help a lot though :roll:
A draft-meter as in NASCAR Heat would be cool but perhaps for an even more even start-grid! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif words words!
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/pq.gif .. next installment?

Mobius
29th January 2005, 09:40 AM
Not a direct pure question but a psp one - what would you recommend being the size of the memory stick someone would buy? (not too expensive but not too small?)

The Boye
29th January 2005, 11:03 AM
Not a direct pure question but a psp one - what would you recommend being the size of the memory stick someone would buy? (not too expensive but not too small?)

Depends what you want to use it for, if it's just games then 32meg is more than enough, movie files and mp3's take up loads so the more memory the merrier.

Make sure it's Pro Duo sticks you look for, the Pro's don't fit.

Colin Berry
29th January 2005, 03:13 PM
Colin said:
'' ...but aside from shield, which is a singular value, all the other aspects - handling, speed, thrust, airbrakes, all have half a dozen stats that give the final effect.
We can up the engine power to increase speed, but we also need to take into account, the fall and rise of the engine power, the forward and side friction, the mass etc.''

oo, a more complex physics model. i like that. do you also include aerodynamic resistance due to velocity and also due to the changes in the coefficient of drag caused by the change of effective ship form and frontal area which occur with changes in angle of attack [pitch up/pitch down and yaw]?
or is that included in ''forward and side friction''?

hmm, not entirely sure to be honest, thats more the coders side of things. :lol:

As for memory stick price - I'd recommend as large as you can afford :D
256 meg would give enough for loads of game save files, dload stuff and some mp3s I guess.

Lance
29th January 2005, 03:31 PM
boys, i think we've found ourselves an authority delegator here. and a truthsayer. i like that. good man, Colin.

probably still ought to know about the aerodynamics, though. ;) [evil kidder icon goes here][let's try this one - :twisted: ] [mm... no, that doesn't quite do it right] [sigh, we really could use even more icons with a broader range of expression. yeah, i know, dang perfectionist :D ]

yawnstretch
29th January 2005, 05:38 PM
I'd say everyone should get a 512MB - its not vastly expensive but anything less and you wont be able to fit entire movies on at high quality. I usually have a couple of tv-shows and mp3s on my 512MB.

More than 512MB is costly imo, and there isnt a whole lot more you can do with a bigger card really (the extra space is nice if you can afford it though).

I personally think 256 is too little but if it's game saves I'd say 32MB is more than enough.

One thing that Colin probably knows though and I don't is what's going on the 'GAME' folder on the memory cards. This may be a reason to re-evaluate which memory card suits you best; ie. a 256 may be cheaper and may be enough for downloadable games?

The Boye
29th January 2005, 06:20 PM
How much memory will a downloadable track need?

eLhabib
30th January 2005, 12:09 PM
and what does a 512meg card cost anyway?

The Boye
30th January 2005, 12:24 PM
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=311&products_id=5276&

That's a pretty good price at the moment.

Rapier Racer
30th January 2005, 03:03 PM
I can't remember seeing an answer to this so oops if there is one in here somewhere, is the downloadable content free? I’m not sure I’d be willing to pay Sony any more money after they have ripped me off twice already with the PSP and the game

infoxicated
31st January 2005, 09:05 AM
I can't remember seeing an answer to this so oops if there is one in here somewhere, is the downloadable content free? I’m not sure I’d be willing to pay Sony any more money after they have ripped me off twice already with the PSP and the game
It's not like they've ripped you off - you'd have a psp and a game by that point! ;)

Mobius
31st January 2005, 02:01 PM
i have noticed in the screenshots the lack of vapour trails - just lights...
have they been cut?

-------edit--------

just seen them - stoopid me :( at least they are there :)

Sausehuhn
31st January 2005, 04:19 PM
I read you don't have to pay the downloads, you get them free when you buy the game. Maybe you have to enter a pesonal code/password or something like that for downloading them. But I'm not sure...

Bob Todd
31st January 2005, 05:01 PM
I read you don't have to pay the downloads, you get them free when you buy the game. Maybe you have to enter a pesonal code/password or something like that for downloading them. But I'm not sure...

Well, you can't do anything with the download unless you have the game. So you probably won't need a codey thing.

Sausehuhn
31st January 2005, 05:06 PM
Maybe you could if there would be an PSP-emulator. We will see.
However: don't paying extra money for the downloads is a really good thing :)

Rapier Racer
31st January 2005, 05:34 PM
I'd like to rephrase the above, Sony would only have ripped me off once with their PSP price, and I don't really consider paying over the odds for a WIpeout game a rip off I'd pay almost anything for a new Wipeout!!!

Wipeout Inspired Madness!!!

G'Kyl
31st January 2005, 07:06 PM
To me it's just like one of the MMORPGs; you pay for the program and know that extra services, which require extra personnel and time on side of the developers, will cause additional costs. So, paying for these sounds fair to me.

Ben

yawnstretch
31st January 2005, 07:47 PM
I've had a little think about this and I think I would under certain circumstances be willing to pay for extra tracks. If they want to package in some ships tunes or cover art that's fine but I wouldn't pay for those things on their own.

If they have downloadables available instantly I'd want those to be free - I'd only shell out for something that was a definite add-on to the game and not just the original game chopped to get me to pay extra.

Tracks that were released a few months after the game I reckon would be good and would definitely be worth the money. The next question is - how do they do it?

Sven
31st January 2005, 07:49 PM
I would really like to know some specific numbers in terms of how much memory a track/ship/menu theme/whatever takes up on the memory stick, and it would also be useful to know if I can back up downloaded game content onto my computer. I'm teetering between a 512 and 256 stick, so you could really help me out here, Colin.

yawnstretch
31st January 2005, 08:35 PM
Sven if you're serious about either music or videos on your stick even 512 seems paltry after only a day or two.

The bigger the downloads the happier the me :P

Dimension
31st January 2005, 09:02 PM
on this issue of paying, perhaps they'll use something along the lines of nintendo-europe.com's stars thing, basically you get these star things for registering products/visiting the site etc. and you can spend them on whatever you want, wallpapers, screensavers etc. Maybe (since there aren't many products to register here) some points for like partaking in the record tables or forums? Meh, not likely because nintendo's scheme is crap and kinda pointless, but you never know :D

Colin Berry
1st February 2005, 01:28 AM
Hi guys, with respect the download stuff I'm really not allowed to mention specifics at the moment. in fact I dont think I can say much at all - I will however try to find out what I can say, and post up info as soon as I can.
Suffice to say I think you will all be pleased, but until details are confirmed and I know what I can say, I have to remain quiet on this.

I know, I know, that is a pain in the arse, but its 2.30 am, my thumb is sore, and the download side of things is one of our key features, cos basically we are pioneering it and I'd be quaked and missiled for mentioning something I wasnt supposed to :D

Erm, what can I say......

Trust me, you'll be happy. :lol:

Dimension
1st February 2005, 01:37 AM
ommm, all hush hush, must be good :clap :rock_on :guitarist :brickwall

xEik
1st February 2005, 09:32 AM
my thumb is sore
I hope this means that you are playing with beta versions for a huge amount of hours in order to get a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally polished game. ;)

AmishRobot
1st February 2005, 11:52 AM
my thumb is sore
I hope this means that you are playing with beta versions for a huge amount of hours in order to get a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally polished game. ;)

No, it's just from trying to get that sqare button to work! :lol: :wink:

Dimension
1st February 2005, 12:30 PM
Yup, that's one of those "Why didn't I see that coming" replies :lol: Nicely done AmishRobot :clap

AmishRobot
1st February 2005, 10:29 PM
I know this is a threadjack, but I don't feel like starting a new thread for such a simple question:

If Colin's working on the new wipeout, shouldn't he get a better avatar icon? I know he's not part of the Psygnosis crew, but surely he deserves something?

Colin Berry
1st February 2005, 11:37 PM
I know this is a threadjack, but I don't feel like starting a new thread for such a simple question:

If Colin's working on the new wipeout, shouldn't he get a better avatar icon? I know he's not part of the Psygnosis crew, but surely he deserves something?

HEY !!!
I am part of the Psygnosis crew !
ok I wasnt there when Wipeout started, but I started at Psygnosis nearly 8 years ago :lol:

I appreciate the sentiment, but I kind of like my avatar, but thanks for the thought :D

xEik
2nd February 2005, 08:06 AM
I agree with AmishRobot. However, I've been a bit busy lately and I didn't really know if the Psygnosis logo fitted Colin. :?

So I thought that maybe Infoxicated would do it if he consideredadequated seeing that he knows Berry much better than I do. That is: I only know him as much as every other user, by his replies in the forum. :D

I can change his rank as soon as he asks for it. :D

infoxicated
2nd February 2005, 09:08 AM
Read the last sentence of Colin's post.

zargz
2nd February 2005, 09:17 AM
I appreciate the sentiment, but I kind of like my avatar, but thanks for the thought :D'avatar'

Read the last sentence of xEik' post. :wink:
.. or read eachothers last sentences?

<ontopic>
Any word on replays? http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/pq.gif

xEik
2nd February 2005, 09:42 AM
Hey, take it easy everyone. :)
It looks like lately people are taking my replies far more seriously than they deserve.

As far as discussion in the forums is concerned I consider myself a normal user. Don't take my word with more authority just because I'm a moderator. ;)

While I understand that Colin didn't want his avatar changed, I just wanted to make clear that, if he so desires, his rank can be changed. Just to show our gratitude for the inside information he is sharing with us.

On a sidenote, if sometimes I appear as a smartass because of one of my statements, my apologies and rest assured: this has nothing to do with my moderator status.
That's entirely my fault as a person (maybe helped by an unfortunate translation).

zargz
2nd February 2005, 09:56 AM
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ok.gif o'right!

btw by replays I simply meant Replays in Pure
I askede that Q in this thread before. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/le.gif

Rapier Racer
2nd February 2005, 10:48 AM
will the teams logos be changed? I mean are the ones in WO 3 DR copyrighted?

infoxicated
2nd February 2005, 10:49 AM
will the teams logos be changed? I mean are the ones in WO 3 DR copyrighted?
Yes and yes.

Sven
2nd February 2005, 07:56 PM
HEY !!!
I am part of the Psygnosis crew !
ok I wasnt there when Wipeout started, but I started at Psygnosis nearly 8 years ago :lol:
Say, did you work on Rollcage at all? You think you could get them to make Rollcage three? (puleeeeezze :puppydogeyes: )

Rapier Racer
2nd February 2005, 10:11 PM
Say, did you work on Rollcage at all? You think you could get them to make Rollcage three? (puleeeeezze :puppydogeyes: )

your giving me false hope :( :( I like the Rollcage games as much as Wipeout, so i'll second that, is there any chance,?

*shotgun loading sounds*

Edit: According to the RC Stage II credits, Mr Berry was a tester! I envy you!!!!!

Sven
3rd February 2005, 09:53 PM
A tester, eh? I found one you missed! If you went off the track at the right spot in one of the last Scrambles, you could bypass like 3/4 of the course.
:wink:
But seriously, Rollcage III would be like the most awesomest game ever.

zargz
3rd February 2005, 10:38 PM
swedish SuperPlay magazine jan 2005:

--------------------------------------------
Wipeout pure allows the player to change the look of the menus in the game.
A total of 20 tunes exclusively writen for the game !
Plans for competitions on the net where remixed tunes will be downloadable.
Also plans for downloadable crafts and tracks.
Hopes are material wont be more than 4-5 Megabytes / addition and that everything
will be avalible for free.
--------------------------------------------

ok. don't kill the messanger if it's not true 8)
it's what it said in the Mag :D

Rapier Racer
3rd February 2005, 10:50 PM
Plans for competitions on the net where remixed tunes will be downloadable.

wehey, online racing competitions! Now I can get my arse kicked by you lot in real time and not just on the tables!

Colin Berry
4th February 2005, 12:27 AM
Replays, replays, replays... the eternal question of replays...

Sorry, alas there arent any 'replays' as such in pure - there are end of race fly bys and thats it. I'll be honest I'm not overly into replays myself, we debated the idea of them early on however the cost was too much in terms of man hours and memory.
To record everything, all weapons fire, the entire race, accurately woudl have been a massive uptaking, and would have meant other things got dropped, so quite early on we decided against having them. I realise this will disappoint some people, but its the kidn of judgement call that has to be made - IF it was replays in, but no wireless play, what would you pick ? or replays in, but no zone mode ?
I'm not saying they were the exact choices, I cant remember what the choices were, but for better or worse the replay idea went very early. Sorry guys.

I did work on Rollcage and on Rollcage stage 2 - I was in QA for 3 years before I became a junior designer on Fusion. I worked on a hell of a lot of games (40 ? 50 ? 60 ? I cant recall) - including wipeout 3 and wipeout 3spec ed !
As for a rollcage 3 - the game itself was developed by ATD (Attention TO Detail) and was published by Psygnosis, I really couldnt say if ATD are still going or not - they did a game called FireBugs (I think) on the psone a few years back, which was kind of like Rollcage for kids as I recall. Like I say I dont know the situation of ATD, I know that like many smaller uk developers they had a few problems a while back I have a feeling they might have gone under, I hope not, I liked the Rollcage games, and the more developers out there, the better. With that in mind I'd say a Rollcage 3 is highly unlikely, ATD would own the rights, not psygnosis or Sony, and if ATD are gone then . . .. ? your guess is as good as mine. But my guess would be not much chance :(

once again its all bad news tonight !
and yes its 1.30 am
and we are still here
In brighter news, we've been hammering the multiplayer today and its fkin tremendous fun !

As for the comment from swedish Superplay magazine that someone posted up.
I really couldnt comment 8) :P :twisted:
hey its late
I'm allowed to be :twisted:

Lance
4th February 2005, 02:18 AM
yikes! with your twisted evil sense of humour, there's no telling what tricky bits we may find on the racetracks. 8O
:D

Task
4th February 2005, 02:57 AM
No replays? Well, that's not really good news, but I have to say this Colin...

Replays are an awfully small price to pay for all the amazing features we ARE getting!

The feature list on Pure is like a wish list! Woo-hoo!

Being a programmer myself, I know all about having to cut features to make the deadline, and the fact that you cut it _early_ in the development cycle (instead of after some effort had already been put into it) says to me that there's a good team working on this game.

Excellent choice there, replay we can live without.

zargz
4th February 2005, 08:13 AM
Agreed J! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ok.gif
what I wanted was to complain about the total lack of interactivity in wo3/SE's Replays
and try'n put a word/hope for better in Pure but no feature ---> no complaint! :D

xEik
4th February 2005, 08:39 AM
At first I was also disappointed to hear that there would be no replays (I like looking my races when I get a new record).

But after reading the reasons expressed by Colin (specially the memory cost) I agree that it's not worth tehsacrifice.

yawnstretch
4th February 2005, 09:56 AM
BAD NEWS FOR EUROPE

Hey I've been away the last couple of days (so apologies if this has been mentioned) but I've just read that the PSP is going to be massively understocked come March 31 and they're saying that Europe wont have it end of March but possibly a good bit later.

America gets 1million end of March, but Europe unknown.
Looks like it's American import time.
Also Americans get Spiderman2 (Movie on UMD) free if they're one of the first million to buy.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/585/585345p1.html

Also I agree with Colin about replays - they're not THAT high a priority.
I always skip the replay on RidgeRacers even on a good race anyway. The Japanese site is exciting!!! :D

xEik
4th February 2005, 10:57 AM
Do (rumored) release dates always change that much? First, it was the 25th, then the 18th. Now they say they won't be able to make it in time for March. :roll:

What is worse: Al and all the other American wipers will tease us with their copies of Pure while we are still waiting for the console to be released here. :cry: :P

BTW, why does WipEout Pure appear as a Sony Computer Entertainment America game here?

http://psp.ign.com/articles/584/584983p1.html

mid
4th February 2005, 11:08 AM
It would appear that the charging unit for the PSP is multi-voltage, just like the power supply for the new-model PS2. So if the Euro release date does go back significantly, it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up a US model instead. There isn't a pre-order page up at Videogamesplus yet, but it should only be a matter of time.

AmishRobot
4th February 2005, 12:09 PM
What is worse: Al and all the other American wipers will tease us with their copies of Pure while we are still waiting for the console to be released here. :cry: :P

Considering that I'm still waiting for a US release of SE, I can't say that I feel that bad for you! :)

I'm intrigued by this mention of remixing music tracks. I imagine that it's only a few weeks before the soundtrack gets announced.

Colin, I'm sure you can't say much of anything about it, but can you at least verify that it's a licensed soundtrack? (and apologies for assuming you weren't part of the Psygy crew!)

Dimension
4th February 2005, 12:56 PM
oh well, at least if you look at it the other way, i'll have enough time to save up for a PSP w/ pure for launch date :P Not much consolation to those who don't have lack of funds to worry about though :lol:

Cool, so we get more than a single version of each track, providing we go craaayyyzeee on the downloading? fine by me :) i expect if we're getting remixes for the tracks then it's likely to have at least a few pure only tracks too, which is nice :D

Shem
4th February 2005, 01:32 PM
Wow, that's awesome! I always wanted to make a track for Wipeout. I just hope that there will be track samples available for download. I'd rather be given these, than to sample on my own. But hey! That's the best news I've red today!

PS. We are talking about music tracks, right?

Dimension
4th February 2005, 01:48 PM
uh, I dun think we'll be getting the parts from the tracks to download and remix (as cool as that would be) but I think there will be plenty of remixes by commisioned peeps, I think the competitions on the net as spoken about will probably be TT competitions like our arena and you'll be able to win downloads of remixes... That's how I read it anyway 8O

mid
4th February 2005, 01:57 PM
My guess is that there will be a custom download that contains both specific race settings for the online trial, and also the mp3 of a remixed song to race along to.

Only letting the winner have the new music seems a bit harsh.

Dimension
4th February 2005, 02:05 PM
yeah, methinks they think they need to make people compete harder (to win the uber remix), maybe SCEE haven't been paying THAT close attention to the WOZ tables then lol.

zargz
4th February 2005, 02:13 PM
I think it's rather music competitons and the best remix will be downoadabe .. :?
not sure thoug ..
might be as you said too mid :)

read again translating as correct as possible:

--> besides the 20 tunes Sony is plannig to arrange competitions on the net
where remixed tunes are released for downloading. <--
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/huh.gif go figure ..

Sausehuhn
4th February 2005, 02:48 PM
@ xEik

I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere, that Pure is made by SCEA.

mid
4th February 2005, 02:52 PM
It will be published in the US (where IGN are based; actually the PSP guys are in the same business park as a friend of mine) by SCEA, which is all this is referring to.

jospicy
4th February 2005, 07:15 PM
how to sum up my feelins about pure:
:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

why more delays?????????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

zargz
4th February 2005, 08:12 PM
actually it's the psp and not pure that's delayed .. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/sad.gif

Colin Berry
4th February 2005, 09:40 PM
@ xEik

I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere, that Pure is made by SCEA.

absolutely not ! burn the magzine you read that in ! :lol:

In Japan it will be published by Sony Japan
In America it will be published by Sony America
In Europe it will be published by Sony Europe

but its being made in Liverpool, England. :D

The soundtrack is licenced music - not allowed to say anymore - sorry :( (wouldnt be wipeout if it wasnt would it ! :P )

Hey its Friday night and I'm at home ! wahoo !
back to work in the morning
boooo
:wink:

Lance
4th February 2005, 09:45 PM
uh.. like seven days a week? every week? [faints]

Colin Berry
4th February 2005, 09:49 PM
pretty much for the last few weeks, but not long to go !

then its time for 8) and head for the sunshine !

Angryman
5th February 2005, 09:13 AM
http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/object/682/682962/WipeoutPure_PSP_20050205.jpg

:twisted:

Superb, if that cover doesn't attract attention and sell wipeout by the billions, then there is no hope left for WipEout. :wink:
I have no doubt it will be the best selling PSP game in Europe and sell extremely wel in the USA.

Mobius
5th February 2005, 09:38 AM
i can tell u from that box - doo daa, doo daa
wipeout pure obviously rocks - doe dah doo dah day...

sorry

anyway on the box you can see thre are 8 teams...

fiesar
auricom
quirex
ag-systems HALLELUJAH!
pirahna
triekis? - colin intervine if u please...
horimou - i swear that is the bloxshox font
and assegai

also the racing league is the FX300 rl.

zargz
5th February 2005, 10:28 AM
cool the four classic are still there ..
by now prob'ly the piranha is also a classic I guess http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif ..
thou I hated it in 2097 for its supremacy, itis actually a favorite in 3/se http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/heh.gif

Hellfire_WZ
5th February 2005, 01:22 PM
That is some sweet box art. Love all the weapons on the underside of the AG-S! :D

As for that team third from the right, it's pretty difficult to make out because of the background, but it looks like Triexis. Looks more like an X than a K to me.

G'Kyl
5th February 2005, 01:56 PM
I totally love it. It's minimal, cold and has great colors. It even somehow undermines the typical furious Wipeout gameplay, which is kinda cool.

Dimension
5th February 2005, 02:22 PM
Niiiice, looks like Triekis to me :D

Sausehuhn
5th February 2005, 02:26 PM
I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!

I need this game, I want this game, I love this game!!

@ Colin

No metter if it is SCEA, SCEI or SCEE: give me a PSP and the game and I'll be a happy man! :D
... we love Liverpool!!!

--I will try to make out which Ship is which team (look in "New team confirmed" if you want to see the ships) on Sunday or Tuesday--

Lance
5th February 2005, 03:35 PM
wonderful box cover!

love the rockets fixed to 'hard points' just as on current military fighters.

@zargz: Pirhana A is my second [but not by much] favourite team in WO3. love the look and the agility.

i still want Icaras, dammit!

Pure looks more and more as though it were going to be completely a package of virtues, with only a couple of time and money inspired lacks that keep it from having absolutely every virtue. as always, though, we shall see when it happens

zargz
5th February 2005, 05:26 PM
That is some sweet box art. Love all the weapons on the underside of the AG-S! :DLook a bit like propellers ot me .. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/heh.gif

Hellfire_WZ
5th February 2005, 06:39 PM
Hmm.... a pair of missiles and a set of what look like gatling guns. Propellers sure have come a long way! :lol:

Colin Berry
5th February 2005, 11:34 PM
hmmm its great to see the box art of the game you are working on, on the net before you've seen it ! :P

Its nice I guess, I believe it is going to be different for each territory though.. but I could be wrong :D

We are 'almost' there, ironing out the last few bugs now, though tonight I left early so I could go for a pint with my mate whose birthday it is :lol:

Not long to go and the journey will be complete, just over a year for most of the team, 18months or so for me and the lead coder and now the finish line is in sight.

must
sleep

Sausehuhn
6th February 2005, 10:20 AM
@ Colin

are we able to fly the tracks forwards and backwards like it was in Fusion? I really liked this. :D

zargz
6th February 2005, 11:03 AM
that'd b cool but the solution of how to fly back through a huge jump was pretty .. corny .. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/hm.gif

Shem
6th February 2005, 11:06 AM
holy crap monkey balls!

that's one hell of a logo design there. notice Piranha. what was the spelling of that team again? I just hope they get it right this time :wink:

and look at the ship design. not sharp and edgy anymore, no sir'iee. now the ships look more areodynamic, smooth, and notice AG-sys - it has some nice pipes protruding the hull, nicely painted white. reminds me of Bjoerk's - "All is full of love" videoclip. and look at the pilot's cockpit. there are no pilots inside! i don;t know why but, when there are no pilots inside, it just feels right. The shape of crafts is maintaned, i was worried about AG-systems becoming somewhat awkward version of previous ships, but this time it's full retro - AG-sys looks just like W3O's AG-sys craft model. well, not exactly, the fins are pushed back. And then, there is this strange looking protection barrel-like element underneath AG-sys craft. I think that designers figured that out to protect weapons from exploding if the craft bottoms out. it's just a wild suspicion of mine tho.

Hellfire_WZ
6th February 2005, 03:02 PM
that's one hell of a logo design there. notice Piranha. what was the spelling of that team again? I just hope they get it right this time :wink:

Just checked, it's correct this time! :D

Lance
6th February 2005, 03:52 PM
shem, skid plates for AG craft, eh? hm... Paris-Dakar, perhaps? or the Baja 1000?

G'Kyl
6th February 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't know if it has been asked before, but how will the game be structured? Are we getting 256 single races again? How many challenges will we get, and of which kind will they be (eliminator, race...)? Has anything been announced yet?

Ben

Rapier Racer
6th February 2005, 04:13 PM
That’s some cool box art I want it now! Nice looking team logos, what are the other logos below them? Are they just random?

whats this I've been reading about the PSP being delayed untill JUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! due to some sort of chip shortage :evil:

Sausehuhn
6th February 2005, 04:18 PM
You're right Ben. Did not think about that yet. Good question.
I like the way Fusion is structured. The Team-Challanges are a really good thing and the way how to win all the singel races, too. Just Time trail was a little bit boring. But that will not be the same in Pure because you don't have so many tracks :?
I hope it's not like WO3 [SE]. Because this game is a never ending story. You've to fly every ship, every class, every track. That are more than 300 races. And every time it's the same. I still do not have finished the game. You need too much time.

I hope they found a good way for Pure. It's a game for a portable console so I think it's sturctured for that. No too long races and no endless leagues.
Maybe Colin could say something about this? :)

PS: FX300 legue. *lol* That reminds me of F-Zero GX. :wink:
but that's just my thinking and don't think somebody else thought this way, eighter. :roll:

Shem
6th February 2005, 04:26 PM
shem, skid plates for AG craft, eh? hm... Paris-Dakar, perhaps? or the Baja 1000?

no no Lance.....only FX300 :wink:

But on the other hand, looking at this..hmm...craft construction element (whatever it is), and reminding of "new air manouveres" that we were told about by Pure developers....

It just makes me wonder if this thing has some useful purpose.

Neverthless it's still a render, and it doesn't have to reflect the game in 100% (remind yourself of WOXL/2097 cover - was Qirex EVER red?).

Sausehuhn
6th February 2005, 04:52 PM
You're right Shem.
I totally forgot the "new air manouveres". Maybe we can slide or something like that (like it is in F-Zero...never played the game, just heard about that handling). I'm anxious to see how it will be!!! :D

Colin Berry
6th February 2005, 11:35 PM
You cant play the tracks in reverse - this was a conscious decision made very early on.
The reasons were numerous including - designing a track that plays well both ways is hard and takes a lot longer (time was an issue in every decision we made) - in fusion, reverse tracks were an after thought (although it was that decision that got me my job on fusion :) ) and it showed - some tracks worked, some didnt, some needed lots of exra work to make them play properly in reverse. I wanted to concentrate on making a track play well, without ahving to worry if it played well in reverse as well.
Also it was my first time designing tracks, as well as being the first time the other two designers had designed tracks, I felt it would work better if we concentrated on makign them play well one way without having to compromise to consider how would that play in reverse.
Whether or not we do tracks that can be played both ways for download, remians to be seen, we've all reached a high level now in designing tracks and that could be a nice thing to expand into, but nothing is decided on that.

As for game structure, there are signle races, time trials, leagues, the usual. I was worried we might have made it a little too easy in our attempts to have an easier entry level, however the feedback we have received recently is that its hard and might take ages to complete, which is nice :)

Oh and phantom is too FAST ! 8O
:twisted:

Dimension
6th February 2005, 11:55 PM
Too fast you say? Poppycock! Or have you made it faster? :twisted:

Never particularly been a fan of reversed tracks so that's not a big downer for me, means they should be even better forwards! :D

G'Kyl
7th February 2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the answer! So, we get faster Phantom (good!) and an easier entry level. Guess there will be room for anyone in Pure's world. :) Oh, but just one more thing: How many single races will there be? Is it enough to get gold with just any craft, as in 2097, or do we have to complete each track with every ship for bonuses?

Ben (, cheering inside because Phantom got "too" fast. :) )

Spiral Motion
7th February 2005, 11:16 AM
Hey just thought I'd point out I found this on ebay today.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=91514&item=8168170864&rd=1

Not a bad tshirt really and it has all the team logos on it. Great to hear the game's getting near to completion now. The delays in the release of Fusion were a pain.

yawnstretch
7th February 2005, 01:13 PM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Too Fast you say??? EXXXXCELLENT!
Man the cover looks awesome and that Tshirt wants to be on my torso right now (just as the WOP UMD needs to be in my PSP right now).

WIPEOUT PURRRREEEEE
Will Rock for SURRRREEE!

:D

mid
7th February 2005, 01:31 PM
The T-Shirt looks to be some promo thing, as his other sales are all sealed SCEE or EA titles. Either that, or a particularly well-crafted bootleg; but the latter would be fast work, given how we've only just seen the team logos.

infoxicated
7th February 2005, 01:46 PM
Looks like he's somebody in the industry - probably a journo.

I have one of those t-shirts myself - they're okay, but team specific ones would be better, I think - hopefully they'll do something like that for marketing purposes. :)

Colin Berry
7th February 2005, 06:04 PM
I didnt say we'd made Phantom faster......

just that people are complaining its too fast :)

whether its faster than in the other games, I dont know. It will certainly be fast enough though

Mobius
7th February 2005, 07:24 PM
any idea what the framerate of the game is?

aroung the 25 of wip3out or the 60 of fusion?

zargz
8th February 2005, 01:02 AM
:?: Any chance of saving TT- ghosts in pure?
:?: And share them throught the Net? 8O

Dimension
8th February 2005, 08:24 AM
and on the topic of zargz's topic, any ption to turn the ghosts off :?: *praying to the god of great video games on this one* They really get on my nerves sometimes, the sometimes where you're half a second behind them for half a lap and forget which one you are in your phantom daze :x

By the way, any ideas on the name of the next class? something spiffy like "banshee" (<-- cool name) or "not-phantom" or summat like that?

BTW, who's complaining that phantom's too fast? We must find these people and give them the burning torches and pitchfork treatment, blasphemers! Blasphemers I say! :P

Sven
8th February 2005, 07:51 PM
:?: Any chance of saving TT- ghosts in pure?
:?: And share them throught the Net? 8O[/i]
I imagine not, since you can't even watch replays...

Rapier Racer
8th February 2005, 09:13 PM
Why not? The ghost save would just be a little more memory on your stick, I don’t see why they would have to remove the ability to save ghosts in order to have other features, compared to a replay feature I get the impression that the ability to save ghosts would be pretty small, if that makes sense, but then of course there is the upload part, maybe we could discover a means of doing that using third party software?

mid
9th February 2005, 08:18 AM
Colin's explanation for pulling replays was that the AI vehicles weren't running correctly in them. Since time trial doesn't have any AI vehicles, that doesn't rule out ghosts.

But then, he's also mentioned that they're in the final stages of finishing it all up - not surprising, as they've got a March launch date to hit for the US, and it has got to get through certification QA first - so it's almost certainly too late to change if it isn't there.

Sausehuhn
9th February 2005, 02:50 PM
I think you can, because you also can change ghost between different PSPs. So they are saved on the memory stick, you could put the stick into your PC, copy the ghost from the stick to your PC and load them up for changing them via internet. :lol:
But I'm not sure, maybe Colin cound give us an answer?
:roll:

zargz
9th February 2005, 02:57 PM
what I'm hoping for at least is a custom league 8O
--> where you can choose what tracks you are going to race.
I think that was an option in fusion --> correct me if I'm wrong. :?

Sausehuhn
9th February 2005, 03:14 PM
Yes, it was. But:
you only can fly 7 races. At first I thought that would be enough, but be sure, it isn't!! Please, please Liverpool, lets us customize the leagues like we want it. Not just 3, 5 or 7 races, we want to change the nuber of laps by ourselfs!
And I hope we can customize the weapons and nuber of laps, opponents etc. as well! :)

Dimension
9th February 2005, 03:24 PM
asking for a lot there aren't you sausehuhn? At that rate you'll lose any kind of random factor involved, would be no fun blitzing 15 Feisars with a Qirex over 31 consecutive races, under your own rules no doubt, that's an entertainment killer right there! Might help wipeout newbies for practise though, but they could just do that with a free practise mode :)

Sausehuhn
9th February 2005, 03:33 PM
no, I did not mean that this way. I did not mean that you can choose for example just 15 Feisars. I meant 15 normal opponents.
But you're right, the weapon-and-opponents-etc.-chaning-thing should just be possible in multi player mode. I think I mixed up the differnt modes, sorry :?
But I still think you should change the nuber of races in custom leagues by yourself. :)

PS: I'm asking too much? Okay, I will not be a member of this site any longer. I will go!! :evil:

... :wink: :D

Colin Berry
9th February 2005, 04:14 PM
You can save ghost time trials but it is a lap - not the whole race.

There is no custom league option in the main game, whether it appears as part of a download pack remains to be seen.

Got to get back to work now before I give the whole game away !

I bet you guys all wanted to know what you were getting for Christmas as kid huh ? :)

surprises can be nice :D :D :D

Sausehuhn
9th February 2005, 04:34 PM
Christmas? hm............. I've an idea but I won't say anything!

xEik
9th February 2005, 04:36 PM
I have one question regarding multiplayer. Do we get to play with other people in other countries via an internet connection or is it limited to near PSPs connected directly via WI-Fi (no internet in the middle).

I don't know, maybe lag could prevent the first possibility (which is the sweetest one, though).

Dimension
9th February 2005, 05:19 PM
I dunno about the lag problem, might need a rather spiffy PSP-PC connection, but with a decent enough net connection I can't see the lag being too much of a problem, won't know until Colin returns to give more of the game away though :D

Rapier Racer
9th February 2005, 07:23 PM
are there separate weapons that are only available in multiplayer mode?

Colin Berry
9th February 2005, 08:31 PM
I have one question regarding multiplayer. Do we get to play with other people in other countries via an internet connection or is it limited to near PSPs connected directly via WI-Fi (no internet in the middle).

I don't know, maybe lag could prevent the first possibility (which is the sweetest one, though).

You can only play against people within the WiFi range. To my knowledge none of the first wave of PSP titles will support multiplayer via the internet, for various reasons. For Pure, we simply did not have time to even attempt it, its a whole different kettle of fish, ergo multiplayer is ad-hoc, play against your mates / people who are within Wifi range. I realise this may disappoint some people a little as some press reports have been a little confused on this issue. But implimenting it would have meant adding lots of time, and would have meant the game came out a long time after the psp launch.
We would not want to do a half arsed online game, you'd need lobbies, chat rooms, leagues etc, look how long Halo2 took to come out for example, the one player mode in Halo 2 was finished ages and ages ago, it was all the online structure that made the game take an extra year. Its still ace fun as it is though, providing you can find a friend to play :P

Glockster0
9th February 2005, 09:17 PM
Well having just Preordered My Psp N WP I Can say that im really excited on the Net Wifi thing Im sorrta disappointed however not alot would've been awesome to take on some here but folks i've read around and have seen mention of software & wireless networking being able to tunnel to the net Wifi Games I'm sure some here can add more to this as well Just some Random Thoughts Folks !!!

Sven
9th February 2005, 09:17 PM
You can always use xlink to play online.

silverstone
9th February 2005, 10:05 PM
Will wipeout pure be available on ps2 or pc in the future after it's released on psp? Sorry if this has already been asked or is otherwise obvious. I just don't know much about this game although I have been a fan of wipeout since the first one. Something about playing a wipeout game only on a handheld console just feels weird.

yawnstretch
9th February 2005, 10:23 PM
I wonder whether wipeout transmits more info over its wifi play than other games - havent people been able to play ridge racer using tunneling techniques?

I haven't tried it yet myself as I dont have the necessary hardware but if it was possible and the lag wasnt truly awful I think it would be worth the investment (in money not time - I want Pure yesterday).. :wink:

Perhaps some modes of gameplay are more suitable when lag comes into consideration - ie zero weapons and no ai ships?

Rapier Racer
9th February 2005, 10:29 PM
Would that put more drain on the already pathetic PSP batteries?

AmishRobot
9th February 2005, 11:27 PM
the one player mode in Halo 2 was finished ages and ages ago

???

the one player mode in Halo 2 still isn't finished.

Colin Berry
10th February 2005, 12:11 PM
the one player mode in Halo 2 was finished ages and ages ago

???

the one player mode in Halo 2 still isn't finished.

hahaha good point

but you know what I mean !

Colin Berry
10th February 2005, 03:39 PM
Hmmm it would seem there are a couple of games supporting Online play soon on the PSP. Which kind of goes against what we'd heard a few months back

:(

>>>
Representatives from Sony's US game division said three titles from its 989 Sports studio--MLB, NBA, and Gretzky NHL--and two from SCEA itself--ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails and Twisted Metal: Head-On--will be playable wireless via the unit's built-in 802.11b Wi-Fi connectivity.

All five games will feature wireless multiplayer play in both a standard "ad hoc" and an online-enabled "infrastructure" mode. In ad hoc mode, PSP owners will simply stand by fellow wielders of Sony's handheld to connect with each other. However, the big surprise is the infastructure mode, which allows players to challenge opponents over the Internet via a wireless hotspot. All games will allow the same number of players in both modes: two for the three 989 Sports games, four for ATV Offroad Fury, and six for Twisted Metal.

Mobius
10th February 2005, 03:48 PM
lol

i just mentioned that in another thread

AmishRobot
10th February 2005, 11:02 PM
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder how difficult making an online mode downloadable after the fact would be. I know the game isn't designed to compensate for lag, but if fans can build effective tunneling software for games built for LANs (like Halo), methinks it could be possible. Talk about adding value!

rejj
11th February 2005, 08:49 AM
or you could just use xlink kai ....

BenjaminBirdie
11th February 2005, 07:52 PM
I'd like to put in a formal request for a ship with the color specs from the intro video at wipeoutpure.com. If unavailable at the start, it would be quite sweet as a potential download. I'm sure this might not be something you can address just yet, but I had to make it known that this is the sweetest WipeOut-related thing I've seen in decades, and I'd love to see a nearly all-white ship in action.

Sausehuhn
11th February 2005, 08:02 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but in my opinion the ship in the movie looks like a white clored AG-5Y5TEMS craft... and it looks really cool! 8)

The game has a really, really good design and style!

Dimension
11th February 2005, 08:55 PM
yeah, I was thinking AG-5y5 when I was looking at it at the end, maybe an alternative colour scheme leaning towards the white end of their colours :)

yawnstretch
11th February 2005, 10:26 PM
Yes, that video is Orgasmic :D

Wipeout Pure has the potential to be better than all the other Wipeouts put together - which needless to say is something that I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams any game could do. Stick me down for a white ship too!

Go WipEout Pure!

AmishRobot
11th February 2005, 10:50 PM
Would someone be so kind as to post a direct link to the video? I can't access the site, and I really don't feel like updating flash just for that.

yawnstretch
11th February 2005, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure if it works that way - but trust me it's worth getting flash - are you on 56k?
I doubt you'll find a copy of it on the net yet... maybe I can convert the swf into an avi... :idea:

yawnstretch
11th February 2005, 11:18 PM
Correction - even though it's been done in flash it aint an swf...
it's a new format called flv - so youll have to download a player. Like I said though - if you're a WipEout fan - it is most definitely worth it.

AmishRobot
12th February 2005, 03:48 AM
Seems I posted that in the wrong thread. My apologies. Anyway, I'm on linux, so updating flash is a bit of a pain. Mplayer has been able to handle pretty much anything I throw at it but that file type is a new one to me... though I'm willing to give it a shot if I can get a link.

yawnstretch
12th February 2005, 06:05 AM
Hey Amish, this may be of use:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:szS14cEDBpMJ:www.hotscripts.com/Flash/Fla_Archives/more4.html+flv+player+linux&hl=en

The second link down - if it works then all you have to do is get someone to send you the flv file from their temporary browser files. Id do it but im off to work in ten minutes.

Good luck man :)

zargz
12th February 2005, 08:19 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but in my opinion the ship in the movie looks like a white clored AG-5Y5TEMS craft...to me on the last shot, from behind, when leaving into the white light, the ship looked like a snow speeder ( Empire Strikes Back ) :D

Lance
12th February 2005, 04:09 PM
somewhere during the video as the ship is being 'manipulated; the team name 'Triakis' is displayed onscreen

Sausehuhn
12th February 2005, 05:18 PM
You're right Lance.
I allready changed that in the "New Team Confirmed" thread where you can see all ships and their teams. :D

yawnstretch
12th February 2005, 05:51 PM
At the end I thought Snow Speeder too!

The stream out of the engine is great and anyone who hasnt heard the video is really missing half of what it's about because the music is genius.

Rapier Racer
13th February 2005, 05:10 PM
<off topic>why do you replace the S in AG Systems with a 5?<off topic>

Sausehuhn
13th February 2005, 06:15 PM
That's the way you write it in 2097. The "S" is "5", "E" is "3", the "O" is "0" (I'm not really sure, but I think so) etc.

Cool, huh? 8)

;)

Dimension
13th February 2005, 06:34 PM
1337/L337 - leet, changing letters into numbers, commonly used by "n00bs" because they think it is clever. Seriously only clever when used on wip3out ;)

Sausehuhn
13th February 2005, 06:40 PM
Yes, right Dimensions!

I forgot the "I". It is "1".

This kind of writing was also used here at the zone. The old rank was not "pilot" or "wiper", it was "wip3r" 8)

Lance
13th February 2005, 06:48 PM
at the early WZ board or just at the old W3PA forums on EZ-Board?
i don't remember, but i don't pay much attention to the Onanistic/auto-masturbatory 'I337' bs

yawnstretch
14th February 2005, 11:14 AM
Doesn't the Japanese website get updated today?

First post to see the update gets a :burger :!:

silaris
16th February 2005, 09:13 PM
Just got the USA PSM Magazine today for March , reveals a couple things about Pure, but dunno if you guys want the information since I don't want to spoil any suprises, just want to be careful here. :)

zargz
16th February 2005, 09:18 PM
Giv'it! :evil:

Shem
16th February 2005, 09:24 PM
Giv'it! :evil:

No argument here!

Hybrid Divide
16th February 2005, 09:31 PM
Custom Soundtracks through MemoryStick?

silaris
16th February 2005, 10:01 PM
"After nearly killing the franchise with Wipeout Fusion, Sony looks to atone for its ways with this heavily XL-inspired title. It features above-average AI and 20 promising courses, including four unlockable, classic tracks from past games in the series.

Controls will be familiar to Wipeout veterans, and a new slide maneuver adds an extra burst of maneuverability - perfect for avoiding those last second obstacles. As always, combat is a stategic part of the game as well: rockets, missles, autopilot and quake power-ups all return, along with a few new goodies.

Bonus features include downloadable extras and Zone mode, where players race around a convoluted track packed with nothing but speed boosts - basic, but oh-so compelling.

Oh yeah - it looks fantastic, too." - PSM(Playstation Magazine) March '05

3 times more tracks, this is going to be good....hope Manor Top is one of the classics :)

Would like the "new slide maneuver" explained though.

Shem
16th February 2005, 10:06 PM
The only thing that comes to my mind when thinking of 'slide maneuver' is how Qirex ship of Wipeout 1 handled when you used airbrakes. It was rather sliding than controling the situation. What do you people think?