PDA

View Full Version : Gamespy preview is up!

Piranha Advancements
7th January 2005, 08:55 AM
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-portable/wipeout-psp/577818p1.html?fromint=1

Rapier Racer
7th January 2005, 09:30 AM
I see they still have the autopilot, oh well at least you can absorb it and make use of it, or does that only apply to projectile weapons that do damage to your opponents

G'Kyl
7th January 2005, 09:35 AM
In a way I hope so. Absorbing the "energy" of a control function somehow doesn't make sense to me.

Piranha Advancements
7th January 2005, 05:55 PM
" Hitting the square button will absorb it, giving you more shield, while choosing to hit circle will enable you to use it on your foes. "

I'm guessing discarding weapons on the fly now would make way for a useful shield restore function.I'm guessing...those powerpads would be very valuable now.

G'Kyl
7th January 2005, 06:15 PM
I'm guessing discarding weapons on the fly now would make way for a useful shield restore function.

Yep. That's exactely what the developers said in that interview a view threads above. I think it's a nice idea, since now even discarding pick-ups is turned into something useful and requires some strategy.

DuraFlex
7th January 2005, 06:40 PM
Its handy yes. Now you have an advantage of discarding your weapons. But did they remove the pit system? When low on energy you can recharge some with the weapons, but a full recharge still needs a pitlane imo. Depending on how much energy discarding a weapon gives that is. Still would be a shame, thought it was a cool concept.

infoxicated
7th January 2005, 08:01 PM
There are no pit lanes in Wipeout Pure - the power-up from weapon discarding works better than you'd think, too - it means your race managment/tactics are an ongoing process rather than something you think about when you come around to the pit entrancel each lap.

Having said that, I still love Wipeout 3's thurst/shield system - it makes a lot of sense, however the lack of buttons on a PSP meant they had to compromise a bit.

yawnstretch
7th January 2005, 08:13 PM
Great article! I wish one of wipeoutzone's forumites had been there to let us know how those little babies handle - at this stage that's all that hangs in the balance for what looks to be a bloody fantastic game. :D

Hacker X
7th January 2005, 08:34 PM
The art direction looks very "Designer Republic" style so far. Are they involved in this game?

Sven
7th January 2005, 10:01 PM
Having said that, I still love Wipeout 3's thurst/shield system - it makes a lot of sense, however the lack of buttons on a PSP meant they had to compromise a bit.Bah, they could have worked it out. Move change view to d-pad up and assign hyperthrust to triangle! Then have rear view at d-pad down and you're all set.

P.S. I imagine the absorb/fire mechanic will make it more difficult to eliminate opponents...

infoxicated
7th January 2005, 10:27 PM
The art direction looks very "Designer Republic" style so far. Are they involved in this game?
No - it's all being done in-house.

Great article! I wish one of wipeoutzone's forumites had been there to let us know how those little babies handle - at this stage that's all that hangs in the balance for what looks to be a bloody fantastic game. :D
Like a hybrid of Wipeout 3 and Wipeout 2097 - floaty, the way it should be. :)

Dimension
8th January 2005, 12:51 AM
excellent, that's kind of how I figured it from watching the videos, nothing holding this back now then, time to repent for sins of late :D

G'Kyl
8th January 2005, 01:05 AM
Bah, they could have worked it out. Move change view to d-pad up [...]
But then how would you have been able to control nose pitch?

Sven
8th January 2005, 02:15 AM
Bah, they could have worked it out. Move change view to d-pad up [...]
But then how would you have been able to control nose pitch?With the analogue stick?

Meh, I always forget that somepeople don't like using the analog stick. But still, they could have an analogue/digital setting in options and assign the up/down directions on the stick to the view functions if you want to use the pad for control.

rejj
8th January 2005, 03:23 AM
Having said that, I still love Wipeout 3's thurst/shield system - it makes a lot of sense, however the lack of buttons on a PSP meant they had to compromise a bit.

It'll be a shame to lose hyperthrust (3SE is still my favourite wipeout) ... but I'm sure I can cope. Heh.
These new batch of previews look pretty good.. I just hope it doesn't take forever for the PSP and Pure to be released here in Australia.

G'Kyl
8th January 2005, 07:22 AM
But then how would you have been able to control nose pitch?With the analogue stick?

Oh, OK. I wasn't thinking that far, because as you rightly said: Some don't like analog sticks. :) No, this would ruin a lot of the game for me - I know the experience from WO64.

Rapier Racer
9th January 2005, 06:15 PM
They could just have taken away the ability to change views in game and made it so you'd have to select your view from an options menu, how many times do you change your view when racing? And also lose the look back feature; I think I could live without those if it meant getting hyperthrust back

Edit: oops I forgot they have lost the look back feature

zargz
10th January 2005, 12:49 AM
I agree about selecting view in menu but I'd prefere the triangle as a look back button.
(never liked the thrust - beeng one of the main reasons enabeling shortcuts!)
But hey I seem to be the only one, or one of few, who uses the rear view ! :D
Actually I missed it already in the 2097 days together with Multiplayer! 8)

Leftism
16th January 2005, 02:22 PM
Thrust was brilliant in Wip3out. Miss it a lot in Fusion so it's a kick in the nuts to miss it again in Pure.

zargz
16th January 2005, 02:50 PM
Well, you can't win them all! :)
I was hoping there wasn't gonna be Autopilot in Pure but see :arrow: there it is! 8O
8) ..

Sven
17th January 2005, 03:18 PM
Thrust was brilliant in Wip3out. Miss it a lot in Fusion so it's a kick in the nuts to miss it again in Pure.Now that I think about it, the turbo power-up was neat in its own way.

G'Kyl
17th January 2005, 03:51 PM
In fact, I still prefer the power-up version over WO3. I had to come to admit, though, that hyperthrust was a step into the right direction, giving WO3 much more tactical depth than any of its predecessors. But getting a kick out of sudden ludicrous speed just rocks so much more. ;-)

DuraFlex
17th January 2005, 06:11 PM
Both of them would be cool, everybody happy :P
But yeah, not enough buttons..