PDA

View Full Version : More info and screens on IGN

Hybrid Divide
6th January 2005, 09:17 PM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/577/577632p1.html

They also released a few new screenshots.

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/img_2530477.html
I know a sharp turn like that when I see one!

MANORTOP!!! :D

EDIT: Oh yeah... CONFIRMED US RELEASE TOO!!! :D

yawnstretch
6th January 2005, 10:23 PM
Thats a terrific article - thanks for the tip!

Man, this game sounds almost too good to be true :? I sure hope they dont mess it up in anyway. Speaking of draw distance, in one of the levels on Ridge Racers, there's a moment where you can see all along the track and across a cliff to the farside of the level where the track continues - and there is NO clipping.

Please God this game plays well! I'm glad they've got the old tracks back - but Ill have to wait and see what I think of this 'tron' style...
Long Live Wipeout!!!

G'Kyl
6th January 2005, 10:45 PM
Cool, this here looks SO Wipeout: http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/img_2530478.html! Looks to me like the first track of the original WO.

Hybrid Divide
7th January 2005, 03:35 AM
Wow.

That DOES look like Altima VII!

Wiseman
7th January 2005, 02:36 PM
Looks like Karbonis V to me, you two.

yawnstretch
7th January 2005, 08:06 PM
Although either of you could be right (and that would have been exciting because it does look fantastic) I don't think you are.

I've heard that the old tracks in Pure will be in Tron style with colouredy graphics.

G'Kyl
7th January 2005, 08:10 PM
Tron style?! Do you know were you've got that info?
I don't think I'd like that too much. Motorhead had a cheat to make the game look like Tron - that's the way these things should be implemented into games.

Ben

Dimension
7th January 2005, 08:53 PM
I think by tron style it's implied that it is in the style of the WO3 prototype tracks, the ones in the pure screenshots that look that way out.

Mobius
7th January 2005, 09:08 PM

Well funnily enough it is in the ign preview...

sorry i had to say that but i have been in a sarcastic mood all day :(

Shem
7th January 2005, 09:14 PM
yeah, that's right.
Damn, i was hoping that the classic tracks would be all brand new texured, maybe redesigned (kind of SE style) but surely not being in a Tron-style. I'm just wondering how it would feel to fly all these rainbow coloured flashy tracks. Maybe it's similar to being in a club where the lights won't let you see a damn thing. I hope not.

G'Kyl
7th January 2005, 11:21 PM

Well funnily enough it is in the ign preview...

sorry i had to say that but i have been in a sarcastic mood all day :(

But then you are right. ;) To rephrase a German comedian: I could tell you a thousand valid excuses as to why I overread that part - if I knew any. *g*

AmishRobot
8th January 2005, 02:30 AM
I don't think the tron tracks are the old designs...

The Gamespy article mentions racing the 'Alpha' league, and racing on tron-like tracks, among others within that league. It also mentions a 'Beta' league and 'Classic' league. My assumption would be that these tron designs are prototype tracks, though I could be wrong (and I often am!)

Every article I read makes me more and more bitter. There is no way I can afford a PSP. :(

Sausehuhn
22nd January 2005, 03:44 PM
SOUNDEFFECTS!!! SOUNDEFFECTS!!!!!!!!!

>>> http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/vids_1.html

I WANT THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

...by the way, that is my 100th post. And a really good one :)

Mobius
22nd January 2005, 04:57 PM
Yay!

Lets jump up and down out of sync and party like its the 25th of march! :D :D :D :D

G'Kyl
22nd January 2005, 05:13 PM
Now that's great, there's finally some footage containing sound and I'm at work where I got everything EXCEPT a computer with a soundcard...! ;-) Can't wait to listen to it, though.

eLhabib
22nd January 2005, 05:58 PM
that's mandrashee from fusion, by the way...

Sausehuhn
22nd January 2005, 06:25 PM
no, it can't be Mandrashee. There are underwater tunnels, right, but after the start there is a right turn on mandrashee and how you can see in the video there's no one.

I played those tracks more than 100 times, don't say I'm wrong :wink:

edit:

100 times? :roll:
no, more than 1000 8)

yawnstretch
22nd January 2005, 07:40 PM
Personally I think this is a new track, but whatever - this is a very revealing video in terms of ship responsiveness.

I myself dont use inboard-view too often but it seems from this video to be very very like 2097 although it seems that there may be NO hard hitting of walls whatsoever... which I hope Im wrong about - dont get me wrong - scraping can be nice but if you crash you want a realistic effect not some eternal buffer on every side? Am I right? Or wrong?

I guess I'll just have to wait to play it. Nevertheless this game looks better everytime I see it.

What would I have to do to get a copy BEFORE the 25th?

:arrow: Open a videogames shop? Could be worth it :P

Have Sony confirmed a release date for the PSP yet?

zargz
22nd January 2005, 08:11 PM
I also'd like to know coz I heard both march and november!!! 8O

Preaterea censeo Carthaginem esse delandam

lunar
22nd January 2005, 08:35 PM
scraping can be nice but if you crash you want a realistic effect not some eternal buffer on every side? Am I right? Or wrong?

You are dAmn right. Although the wall hitting model looks an improvemement on fusion, whatever.The scraping sound is nice though, as are the sounds overall.... and it looked like there may have been some bottoming out going on. Who really knows until they`ve played it?

tantalising vid.... thanks Sausehuhn.

Sausehuhn
22nd January 2005, 08:57 PM
The first video shows the menue! At the beginning you can see a "Continue".

And at the start there's a "Ready-Go!" like it was in Fusion. But not on a big board.

And - but I'm not sure - the starting line is a laser (like the checkpoints in wip3out, at first I thoght it would be a one, but there's no sound and no counter, how we can see on the screenshots)

Dimension
23rd January 2005, 12:28 AM
Cool video, just noticed the one thing i've been wondering that's been out of place for me with all of the pure videos, what happened to bouncing off the walls? The ships hit the walls and stick to them, play WO3 and you hit one, bounce away and have to stop yourself thrashing off the opposite ones, might be down to the speed class but still seems a bit severe. maybe i'm just being too picky :) Cool sound effects, dig that tune too, that was on the (official?) video within the pic of a PSP, can't argue with some quality breaks :D

Colin Berry
23rd January 2005, 02:07 AM
that's mandrashee from fusion, by the way...

Good try :!:

but wrong :D

Hellfire_WZ
23rd January 2005, 07:32 AM
Cool video, just noticed the one thing i've been wondering that's been out of place for me with all of the pure videos, what happened to bouncing off the walls? The ships hit the walls and stick to them, play WO3 and you hit one, bounce away and have to stop yourself thrashing off the opposite ones, might be down to the speed class but still seems a bit severe.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It does look like there is a significant speed drop if you hit them hard enough though, unlike Fusion where you could ride them around the track. Then again, I don't think the guy in the video was really slamming into them. Maybe you'll only bounce off if you hit the walls at an acute angle.

G'Kyl
23rd January 2005, 07:56 AM
Judging by the look and sound of it, Pure seems to come out very nice. However, I was wondering how good or bad control is with the mini analogue... thing. I don't know if the player in the video maybe wasn't so familiar with playing Wipeout, but it seemed to me that craft behavior comes out as pretty nervous, since you don't get precise enough control with that PSP stick. Anyone else shared my worries?

zargz
23rd January 2005, 10:43 AM
To me it seems:

1. it's feisar :arrow: slowest ship.
2. it's on vector :arrow: can't get too much speed so any slowdown from hiting wall is not that big.
3. the guy driving doesn't have a clue :arrow: hesitation in using weapons :arrow: not familiar with the controll
and on some footage where you see the hands I don't see his index fingers resting firmly on airbreaks! :D

... .. ..

4. might be a girl? 8O

*protects head from flying tomatoes and rotten eggs*

DuraFlex
23rd January 2005, 11:03 AM
Maybe he was just admiring "the view" :)

yawnstretch
23rd January 2005, 03:50 PM
Four things I've noticed from watching the few videos currently available:

1. The tracks that I've seen so far are very short

2. The lack of Jumps is worrying - one of the most enjoyable features of wipeout 1

3. Interestingly, the tracks arent wide - which reminds me of the deliciously scary parts of wipeout 1 - BRING IT ON!!!!!

4. Speed. God I hope that's Vector Class :hyper

G'Kyl
23rd January 2005, 04:01 PM
1. The tracks that I've seen so far are very short

2. The lack of Jumps is worrying - one of the most enjoyable features of wipeout 1

4. Speed. God I hope that's Vector Class :hyper

Seems to me like the track in the video is one of the easier ones. Those have always been shorter and flatter than the rest.

zargz
23rd January 2005, 04:47 PM
My guess is it's the first track! :)

Shem
23rd January 2005, 05:04 PM
What about music?

The music track which can be heard in the vid is breakbeat, which is GOOD :D
Although I think that the tune gets better by the end of the video, where the catchy melody comes in. Is it a licensed track? If so, whose track is it? And what do you think of it?
My opinion is that it has the vibe of tracks of WO2097, but also a bit of Fusion, which is not the best choice, but it's not that bad after all. It's good I'd say. It sounds like a fusion of WO2097, w3o, Fusion to me.

Rapier Racer
23rd January 2005, 08:16 PM
Speed. God I hope that's Vector Class :hyper

I think it would be, they wouldn’t want to scare any new racers away by showing break-neck speeds on the previews and yeah that song on the video sound s very good indeed

Mobius
23rd January 2005, 08:19 PM
shows you how good the loudspeaker on the psp is too.

Dimension
26th January 2005, 12:12 AM
yeah, I was noticing that the larger missile explosion had plenty of bass end like an explosion should, had this awful incling that it would be like your average tweeter speaker ro something lol 8O Did kind of distort, but in a satisfying way (of course)

Yeah I love that music track, seems to be the only one in any of the videos so far, the earlier Sony demo had it on too, hope everything else isn't of a lower quality. And I hope you're right about it being Vector heh, question: Where does the fifth class that was talked about in that developer interview elsewhere fit? Something tells me between Venom and Rapier, we've had one before Venom, one after Rapier but never one between the two. Then again it could be like a soopah phantom class, I wonder how many faces are showing utter dread right about now? Lol :lol:

Sausehuhn
26th January 2005, 06:56 AM
NEW SCREENSHOTS!!!

>>> http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/imgs_1.html

trough the clouds and up and down... :D

PS: I'm the information man here on the forums :wink:

G'Kyl
26th January 2005, 10:11 AM
Speaking about bringing Pure to a new dimension, are we? I like the idea of having a race up in the sky. It brings something new to the series, while it is not too far out (literally) in terms of (Wipeout-)realism. Let's hope we get to do some pretty sightseeing from up there. :)
But what about heavy winds? I don't think they would add much to the game, since that would result in a kind of randomness to quick laps that could obliterate the use in comparing times. Just a thought.

xEik
26th January 2005, 10:35 AM
I must admit the pic with the clouds is gorgeous.
What team might that black ship between two speedpads be? (the one in the penultimate image for 01/25/2005)

Rapier Racer
26th January 2005, 10:45 AM
oh that looks really good, nice screens, a racetrack in the sky and where have we seen that before.............that's right Rollcage Stage 2 lol maybe that black team is Tigron with a facelift

Mobius
26th January 2005, 01:55 PM
i think rollercoaster style tracks are in this game - but not like fusion - properly executed this time methinks

yawnstretch
26th January 2005, 08:30 PM
Oh man - there's nothing like coming home from a long day at work to new Wipeout Pure screens!

Bliss. :radar

Colin Berry
27th January 2005, 12:35 AM
I must admit the pic with the clouds is gorgeous.
What team might that black ship between two speedpads be? (the one in the penultimate image for 01/25/2005)

Its a dark tunnel and so the colours appear darker than outside. The ship ?? Its . .. . . .

:)

and yes its 1.30am
and yes I just got home from work

Dimension
27th January 2005, 12:51 AM
Aww, he's not even gonna tell us :cry:

Like the idea of the clouds track, one there shows that huge vertical curve, seems like an interesting feature, not sure how boring that might be to fly through though (just a really long straight?) :|

EDIT: Oh and it's nice to see you're working hard then Colin, at work till the wee hours of the morning, can't complain too much :D

EDIT AGAIN: Nice detail in the backgrounds, you can see the moon & stars on the first one *gets all giddy* :D

Rapier Racer
27th January 2005, 10:47 AM
not sure how boring that might be to fly through though (just a really long straight?)

in the slower classes maybe, but I like a liong straight here and there in when racing in the upper classes

MachinaWeapon45
27th January 2005, 04:27 PM
not sure how boring that might be to fly through though (just a really long straight?)

in the slower classes maybe, but I like a liong straight here and there in when racing in the upper classes

Yea, Icarus and Qirex ships really show their true colors on the straightaways.

Dimension
27th January 2005, 07:13 PM
I guess straights do give you long enough to correct yourself for the first corner, but having said that, it can also disrupt the whole flow of the track if you're powering down the straight for five seconds lol, tracks like PK worked really well because the straight was just long enough to correct yourself, should you mess up, you'll crash, means there is no time to breathe, keep the focus and you'll do well. Oh well, just my opinion :D

zargz
27th January 2005, 08:00 PM
Both on SR and SI I find it hard to make the 1st turn on the higher classes coz on the straight I can't resist using the boost! 8O
Also I dont race too much there .. :roll:.. Stil they are two of my absolute favorites in wo3! 8)
Good thing with long straights :arrow: with missiles or rockets you can shoot the leader and win the race - especialy if it's a friend of yours! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif

DuraFlex
27th January 2005, 08:28 PM
Straights sure look weird in wipeout :D

I think this track is allready becomming famous because of this :lol:

Also the track in the clouds certainly looks great. I wonder what it will be like to actually play there.

Looks like there are much fresh ideas in this wipeout (in contrast with the 'less' fresh game designers with their long working hours).

Rapier Racer
27th January 2005, 08:39 PM
Hmm yes, well as far as straight tracks a and fast ships go maybe it's not such a good idea, usually I get a bit carried away and that corner comes along a bit quicker than I was expecting it to :oops:

Dimension
28th January 2005, 12:42 AM
Hmm yes, well as far as straight tracks a and fast ships go maybe it's not such a good idea, usually I get a bit carried away and that corner comes along a bit quicker than I was expecting it to :oops:

Hmm, can anyone say "the second tunnel at Hi Fumii"? That one got me time and time again when I first started TT-ing there, that's kind of a long straight and it is hard to resist R1'ing the whole biznatch :D

@Zargz, you like Stanza Inter!? :| that track is evil incarnate lol, I absolutely hate it with a vengeance! :guns

Oh and (a little) back on topic, that track does look very cool, I'll have to wait and see if it does indeed play nice with bits like the one in question :)

*edit* Any chance of getting these images at "Ludicrous size" Infox? Or was that just a one off kinda thing?

infoxicated
28th January 2005, 07:29 AM
I'll ask for some more screens today. :)

Dimension
29th January 2005, 12:09 AM
nice one, thanks mate :D

rejj
29th January 2005, 04:08 AM
@Zargz, you like Stanza Inter!? :| that track is evil incarnate lol, I absolutely hate it with a vengeance! :guns
I also really like Stanza Inter... I just like the feel, the dingy, dirty industrial look to the city, the track layout is decent.. The only bad bit about it was the god-awful pitlane entry. Since there are no pits in Pure, here's hoping that we get to see some Stanza!
:)