PDA

View Full Version : WipeOut 64

Chris64
29th December 2004, 04:51 PM
I played WO64 once before and that experience alone told my the WO franchise was cool, but that was when the game came out and I only got to play it once, now that i'm older i'm going to purchase the game and play it and see if I like it, and just out of curiousity why is everyone always bashing the N64, it's pretty much the best console ever, now don't get me wrong the PS1 was pretty cool, had a few big titles, but I will always prefer the N64 over the PS1 anyday, and I know there are people that agree with me.

Axel
29th December 2004, 04:58 PM
You my friend is a wise man LOL!!! Yeah wipeout 64 was dope and the N64 has better games. Golden Eye? Ah the golden years :D

Chris64
29th December 2004, 05:08 PM
Now just to show the people that are opposed to my opinion take a look at the master of game reviews and see for yourself how well the game really was: http://ign64.ign.com/articles/153/153872p1.html And look at the screenshots while your at it.

Axel
29th December 2004, 05:15 PM
I did a post about the lack of WO64 love amoung these forums. Those pics bring back the glory days. I wish that some of the tracks in WO64 could have been re-used in the later installments of wipeout. It had some great tracks, Velocitor!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris64
29th December 2004, 05:18 PM
Do you know how much WO64 would go for these days? like $15 or $10? I really want some WipeOut action.

Axel
29th December 2004, 05:20 PM
That should be about right, but I say it's best to look at amazon and see what they have to offer. My N64 is long gone and destroyed, no more wipeout 64 for me :(

Chris64
29th December 2004, 05:34 PM
I would recommend buying an N64 again, that's what I did and i'm having a blast with all the classics, I got my 64 for $30 and each game is $10-$15 so it's a pretty good deal.

RJ O'Connell
29th December 2004, 05:47 PM
It's a shame mine busted. Ah yes, nothing like a little WO64 and XG2, topped off with Aero Gauge sprinkles. Those were the days...and I still was incoherent at racing games.

zargz
22nd January 2005, 11:35 AM
..and just out of curiousity why is everyone always bashing the N64, Answer is :arrow: Analog stick!
When wo64 was released 98% of wipErs were using D-pad and here comes 64 and makes you use the stick!
Everyones feeling is that at least you should've been able to choose since D-pad wasn't used at all in game!
If that was the case I wouldn't mind the terrible popup and the fact the the ships have an invisible boxlike
'forcefield' around them so when taking over an oponent you can't go too close coz then you tuch them even without any visible contact! :roll:
And yes I have completed the game - all challanges, got the pirhana and the last track and beat it, cursing the stick all the time :evil:
now game and console are collecting dust on some shelve arround here :?
I bought wo64 first then a N64 8) and i think it's a great game -
tracks design, 4player mode and so on exept for the forced use of the stick!
And there's you answer. :)

G'Kyl
22nd January 2005, 03:06 PM
zargz: If you want to play WO64, just use an emulator. You'll most probably get some few glitches in the graphics, but playing the game with a keyboard or a configurable gamepad easily makes up for them.

zargz
22nd January 2005, 03:20 PM
hmm .. :roll:
you know I got an adapter to my psx dance mat, so I can play DDR on my pc!
I might as well use it for the original psx controller! 8O

Preaterea censeo Carthaginem esse delandam

SteadVex
3rd February 2005, 10:35 AM
i always found the N64 controller far easier to contrl the ship than the d'pad, wipeout64 i the only game i still play on the N64! although no one i know ever liked it, all complained it was to fast :(

only thing i had a gainst it was i don't know if i had a dodgy catrdige but on the super challenge it would take forever to return to the menu, normally had to restart it and loose my progress :( just go around the track showing the laptimes forever :(

G'Kyl
3rd February 2005, 12:45 PM
although no one i know ever liked it, all complained it was to fast :

Say that again... was that "Wipeout" and "too fast" in one sentence?! ;-)
Anyway, I have to agree on WO64 being among my favourite parts from the series.

only thing i had a gainst it was i don't know if i had a dodgy catrdige but on the super challenge it would take forever to return to the menu, normally had to restart it and loose my progress

Hmm, WO64 indeed has a bug where the game locks in certain situations, but I never heard of the problem occurring while trying to get back to the menu. Sounds like the exact same bug, though.

Ben

SteadVex
3rd February 2005, 04:14 PM
Ah, that must be it, it would only ever happen on super challenges tho, would say Press A to continue (or whatever button) and u'd press it, and, well nothing, incredibly frustarting! because of this i never got gold on all the super challenges :( got all but 2 which are bronze, and it keeps freezing whenever i do any better, sometimes if you kept tapping the button for 10 minutes or so it would just work, but 10 minutes is a long time!

i hope any future games come out on other than the playstation consoles, i've never really been a fan of them, only a handful of games have i liked on them (including wipeout of course!) but i've always prefered nintendo if only because of mario kart :p

hrmm, n64 emulators can do internet sync with multiplayer can't they? would it be possible to have 4 player WO64?! :idea:

G'Kyl
3rd February 2005, 04:21 PM
Ah, that must be it, it would only ever happen on super challenges tho

I thought it was more dependend on the track, since I get the error every now and then, not matter the type of game I am playing. It's really frustrating. I keep saving every tiny progress I make, which can take a lot of the flow from the game. :|

sometimes if you kept tapping the button for 10 minutes or so it would just work, but 10 minutes is a long time!

LOL, yes, I've heard the game sometimes continues after a couple of minutes, but I myself never had the patience to wait for that long. ;)

hrmm, n64 emulators can do internet sync with multiplayer can't they? would it be possible to have 4 player WO64?! :idea:

I don't know, I've never tried. But we could give it a shot if you want.

Ben

silaris
15th February 2005, 03:02 AM
My story is kind of silly, well one part of it, just I've owned Wipeout 64 since it was released and just today bought my first N64, LOL. So i'm playing it as I type this and i'm thankful for having another wipeout game to play till I get my PSP along with Pure when it comes out. You won't be hearing any complaints from me really. Only problem is... don't have a memory card atm.... /cry