PDA

View Full Version : Why no Wipeout online?

Chill
19th December 2004, 11:14 PM
8) Can anyone figure out why their hasn't been a Wipeout made for online play? If not, why won't they make one. It's hard to find somebody skilled at Wipeout, and it would always provide competition.[color=darkblue]

Dimension
20th December 2004, 01:37 AM
I dunno if the PS2 online technology was in place at the time of Fusion and it would be near enough impossible on the PS1 WipEouts, the new PSP title should hopefully have internet gaming on it for those of us with broadband (as in, not lance :P )

G'Kyl
20th December 2004, 05:30 AM
That's mean. ;-) I agree, though. I believe Fusion was a bit too early to have an online mode and after that we will have to wait for Pure to bring us together... However, online play had not been totally neglected by Psygnosis as they released a patch for XL, which supposedly enables multiplayer via TCP/IP (and IPX?). It didn't work with most people's installations, though.

Ben

Dimension
20th December 2004, 07:33 AM
It didn't work with most people's installations, though.

That's a shame, how popular actualyl was the PC version of 2097 :?:

G'Kyl
20th December 2004, 08:11 AM
I can't tell. But I assume it didn't make as good an impression on PC players as on Playstation gamers. Otherwise, I assume, we would have seen WO3 being converted as well. Those who got WOXL PC liked it, though. I haven't read a single negative comment. The difficulty seems more to sell pure arcade racers to the PC audience.

Ben

Mobius
20th December 2004, 02:29 PM
going off subject, welcome to the zone chill!

just showing my transalantic ignorance but is WA washington state?

Lance
20th December 2004, 02:48 PM
coincidentally enough, ''WA'' also stands for an organisation i happen to belong to, Wackos Anonymous.

oops. like Hagrid, i shouldn't have said that. now i'm not an anonymous Wacko anymore. :?

hi, Chill, welcome. :)

Chill
21st December 2004, 01:43 AM
Yah, even though i've read all Harry Potter books, I didn't know WA also stood for Wackos Anonymous. :oops: Yes, it's Washington, and even though It doesn't mean Wackos Anonymous, ti my-as-well, becouse I'm one of those speed freaks committed to Whipeout. But wouldn't it be better for online capability for the PS2? Not all of us will be able to buy a PSP, and online capability for the PS2 would just seem better than on the PSP. Hay, mabye even costomizing your own Pilot and Craft? :wink:

Lance
21st December 2004, 01:01 PM
WA isn't in Harry Potter as far as i know. i founded my own local chapter of this fine and ancient organisation. [proud] :)

Chill
22nd December 2004, 12:18 AM
If a wipeout online were made for the PS2...
We'd be able to talk while racing and using weapons. While using voids/those bomb balls, I could yell: EAT MY POOP!!! It'd be fun just using powerful weapons and telling all who got hit to yield to you.
Or the capability of the computer constantly changing the track, so you never know what to expect. Wipeout Fusion's sited seemed awsome, but the game was a little high rated. I expected dark tracks, with faint sayings of incomming weapons or something that would be unusual, such as a faint womanly voice of "Racer of Tigron Eliminated" such as if it's not a big deal considering all the competition that could possibly be in the game. Awsome, a wipeout that would be dark and contain sounds like on Wipeout Fusion's site, while going online. Ablosutely extrordinary! The tracks would be so large, that thousands of racers would be in one race, and the tracks would have multible choices of directions, twisting around planets in space, diving down into the Earth's cowded cities twisting around the buildings and back up. It would be called the Wipeout Space Control, or something cool.
Any thoughts?

Dimension
22nd December 2004, 01:06 AM
heh, I think you'll have to wait for a new console that uses blue ray discs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_ray) or larger before you'll get tracks of that size, cool idea though, not sure about having thousands of racersi n one race, how could you wee which one was yours? And how slow would the game run? :|

Rapier Racer
22nd December 2004, 10:18 AM
game. Awsome, a wipeout that would be dark and contain sounds like on Wipeout Fusion's site, while going online.

does anyone know if those sounds are still available somewhere?

Mobius
22nd December 2004, 10:43 AM
nick the swf file of the website and try to extract em - wait for 25 minutes and bigno! you will ahve the lawsuits at your door...

Rapier Racer
22nd December 2004, 11:25 AM
lol but the website does not exist anymore so thats why I asked, is there a history thing like way back machine i used that but its not good the site won't even load

Mobius
22nd December 2004, 12:03 PM
http://show.goodtech.co.uk/wipeout/

the site is there still

Rapier Racer
22nd December 2004, 12:45 PM
oh would you look at that im over the moon i was typing the old addy

Rapier Racer
23rd December 2004, 11:46 AM
nick the swf file of the website and try to extract em

how do I nick this file?

Chill
23rd December 2004, 08:38 PM
Demension wrote: How slow would the game run?

Think about that watcha-macall-it game were you have hundreds of players on one screen. How does that work? If not that, well, I don't think now it would be possible to have "thousands". I mean, what about those poor people in the back. They'd have a have a hundred quakes to catch up, with another five-hundred turbo boosters. I thind though that they could make a wipeout that had tracks that could float. I mean, the crafts can, right? Then you'd be able to flie through clouds and jump high distances at high hight. Mabye they can make a wipeout from which you can transform after jumping into air-alone flight. Air-born, without hovering technology. But then once you entered a certain area, that track would suck you down, and if under, you'd be eliminated.
"Mabye in the future they'll make fans with these types of games?" :lol:

G'Kyl
24th December 2004, 08:17 AM
Well, they already did the floating track thing with Odessa Keys - didn't work out just as good as some of the rest, though. ;)
Quantum Redshift had a bit of what you describe with it's Mars course. In order to be fast you have to spend the larger part of your lap in the air (or whatever thin air there is ;) ), however, if you forget getting back on track at the right spots, you lose a lot of time. Pretty fun stuff.

Ben

Chill
28th December 2004, 12:37 AM
Well, Wipeout shouldn't change too much. It holds something in it other than just a speed-freakish racing game. It holds a lot of values. It's popularity for scenery, and heart-rush fealing is very high, which means that they've done a wonderful job on it. Even on Wipeout Fusion, it has tracks that causes you heart to race hard. That's one thing good about Zone mode. Whenever you need an adrenalin rush, it's right in your entertainment room. This rush gives you a spirit-flying like fealing. So after rushing through tight corners about a speck awayfrom each wall, and then you jump a jump, your heart feels it. It pumps hard, then when you jump, has a break and the feeling makes your heart feel it's intaking an incredible amount of breeze. Something, I think. Wipeout 3 was very good at expressing. The rain also directs a feeling of a cooling tricks of water on your heart. Of course, this doesn't really happen, but feels as if it does. Every element in Wipeout is important, which would need to play a part in any online Wipeout. The rush needs to be good, something Wipeout Fusion lacks other than it's Zone mode, and flying while fully upgraded, but even that is no good with it's crafts center of balance. I feel the balance sould lie on the Back of the Ship such as on Wipeout 3 in order to give a fuller heart rush.[/u][/b]

G'Kyl
28th December 2004, 07:38 AM
You're right, Wipeout has many qualities, and they shouldn't change it into something different for it's own sake. But why not do something new and cool with what's already there? Zone mode is only one example, which seems to have worked pretty well. And they didn't make something else out of Wipeout to get it.

Ben

Chill
6th January 2005, 02:34 AM
True, which is what I wish they would have done with Wipeout Fusion. They need the AG type crafts rather than the center-balanced bulk machines. I love light fast speed around tight corners, such as Wipeout 3 or XL (never played XL, so wouldn't know).
But if they did make an online wipeout, I believe that AG crafts would be much better.
--
Even designing your own craft. Perhaps they should have a sight online from which you could send blueprints of tracks or crafts, and pay them. They could then design it on there software, and have it available to be downloaded online for the next PS3. A box for the PS3 meant for downloadable software. Then others could download it from you, and even race you on it.
I believe in a game very similar to some of Mano's blueprints under some sketches.
(I heard that you couldn't connect, G'Kyl, but it should be possible now.) :wink:

G'Kyl
6th January 2005, 06:54 AM
(I heard that you couldn't connect, G'Kyl, but it should be possible now.) :wink:

Well, you got me. What do you mean? ;)

Chill
7th January 2005, 01:23 AM
Under:
-General Discussion-

-some sketches-

You said either the page was down or that you were having trouble connecting.

G'Kyl
7th January 2005, 06:29 AM
Oh my, that was ages ago, but you're right. Can't even remember it any more. ;)

Chill
8th January 2005, 12:35 AM
Oh! Should have looked at the date. :oops:

Anyways, I thought that since the collection of all of the wipeout games for playstation comes up to only about $17.00, that they should just make a mix of them on one disk for the PS2, that way we could play 2 player with the first Wipeout without another console, and even give them the online capability for all those who want to show off their skills. (Just a dream.) :P

zargz
9th January 2005, 12:26 AM
But a good one! :clap

about the 1000 icaras race .. i wouldnt bet my last credit on that! 8)

Chill
9th January 2005, 07:22 PM
I FINALLY BEAT WF! After owning it for about 2 years! 100% complete! Rank: ace. Now I've beat every Wipeout except for XL and Pure (and probably some in the future).
--
Thanx for the complement. :roll: and it's nice to meet you, zargz.
--
But ya, since they already have the work done for the Wipeouts for PSX, why not just mix them up, give them online-capability, and make money! Hey, the same could go with WF. Just give it and extra online-boost. Raise up to 50 bucks, but keep them capable with the memory card save games from the first WF game. That way people wouldn't have to restart their progress on the game. That'd be a real pain in the butt!!. :wink: :arrow:

Rapier Racer
9th January 2005, 08:26 PM
I FINALLY BEAT WF! After owning it for about 2 years! 100% complete! Rank: ace.

I thought you got Galaxy Champion when you had 100% complete?

Chill
11th January 2005, 12:43 AM
Huh? Mabye because I got all gold medals before even looking at my rank. I get a gold medal in one game before going on to the other. That's just how I am. :wink: Can't help if I'm perfect!
--
Should would like one online though, so that I could show all those scores off.
--
Ah! A nice cold wipeout online! :P

Smashing Young Man
11th January 2005, 10:18 PM
I'd like to see a MMORPG based in the Wipeout world. I have no idea how such a thing would work as it couldn't be based solely around the racing, and I don't think people would play a Wipeout MMORPG to bash bunnies over and over to level up. Still, the idea holds mucho appealo to me. :)

infoxicated
12th January 2005, 09:36 AM
I always liked the idea of a story mode in a racing game. Then I played ToCA Race Driver and it was such an awful experience that I hope it's something that Wipeout never does.

I do like the idea of a persistant online world, though, where you could turn up and race over the course of a season, or in a league of some sort. There's always the future. :)

xqpx
12th January 2005, 06:24 PM
I already play Burnout 3 online a lot, but definitely not as much as I would play an online Wipeout... I really don't think I would be able to pull myself off a game like that. I'm going to start having nightmares soon about playing Wipeout online my entire life, only stopping to eat. :?

Lance
12th January 2005, 08:02 PM
nightmare?
hmmm.....
sounds more like..
paradise

Thruster2097
12th January 2005, 09:23 PM
nope, nightmare. Trust me.
Anyone that's been chatting to me on IM knows that I needs my sleep.
I need sleep, or else I start to get very cranky and behave slightly weirder than usual.

Who knows, after a 48 hour straight stint of WipEout Online, I could possibly be running on pure red-bull and adrenaline. Possibly screaming (and no doubt throwing stuff) at anyone or anything that dare disturb me.

Total nightmare. :wink:

hoipexn
12th January 2005, 10:20 PM
hahaha sounds very familiar! i can see myself in the livingroom when my girlfriend or mom comes in asking for the 1239843759st time if i really don't need a sandwich :lol:

Chill
13th January 2005, 01:12 AM
I just hope that it wouldn't get old. :( If they did make them online though, the company may go up sky-high. :D They'd begin making a lot of different types of Wipeout Onlines. Heck, even making the earlier ones, but with much better graphics. :D Heck, even the ability to download music onto it like the Xbox, and leting others hear it! But to stick with the basics, a Wipeout Online would be wonderful! And no downers like Wipeout Fusion! Would you go mad? I don't think I'd go any madder than after I had an extremely realistic dream of playing an online version! I freak! 8O Yes, an online game, better than Fusion, would be better than none.

Chill
16th January 2005, 09:14 PM
Sorry for double-posting, but no-one has posted anything for about 3 days, so I thought I ought to keep the forum alive.
--
An online to speak with headphones while racing, using the L3 or R3 buttons to turn on and off. I like the Wipeout 3 feeling. Sorry to some people, but I like it more than Fusion. Reflectors, Energy Drains, at a fast light pace, it just seems more fun than a slow, bulky power machine made up like big gas guzzlers. If you're in the future, you're gonna wanna use as little fuel as possible, right? Wouldn't fuel celled crafts be used. I like Wipeout 3, at a fast pace, with tracks with realistic rain, (like Manor Top) or the soothing sun of artistic pleasure on the P-Mar Project, the dark-orange sky and ghetto-like feeling of Hi-Fumii, and the others, they all have a rich fill in romantism. Almost as if you could feel it (these weather and tropical elements play a large part on the atomosphere feeling of the tracks. Something I don't think is represented enough in WF.), to me, when I fly a fast-pace light like game as in Wipeout 3 (and hopefully Pure), it feels as if my soul is the craft. Something inside me eeks with pleasure, and I'm racing through the cool rain, bright happy sun, or in the perfectly temperatured ghetto dawn, and you're taking out tons of competition that sould exist in that time-era. It combines computer technology with nature, for me, as much as i've played, this is "the" Wipeout game. Even the team logos and the way the letters are formed, it all goes together to not just make a video game, but something of art (which is something the first and second Wipeouts didn't lack)! I thought Fusion would of been something similiar, but it wasn't even close :evil: . This is the type that needs to exist on an online version of Wipeout, something I'm dedicated to expressing about Wipeout.

myima-tsarong
19th April 2005, 12:49 PM
i always thought that fusion should have been online that would have been great !
just havving the whole 16 ag's in a race flown by people on line !

Chill
25th April 2005, 06:05 PM
Ya, I know, that's why I created this topic. Though I would rather have a newer Wipeout for the PS2 that was different from fusion, that went online. I know it's too late, but I just wanted people to here how much I woulda loved a Wipeout for the PS2 online rather than fusion. :? Well, we have Pure now, and most likely a Wipeout for the future PS3, so I'm happy. :D Very. :wink: