Hellfire_WZ
17th December 2004, 06:45 PM
*turns green with envy*

Sweet. How are the games so far?

Shem
17th December 2004, 06:46 PM
You!!!

Answer -
Any problems with it? I heard that the disc tends to fall out if psp is held at some angle. I heard that analogue pad is not so analogue at all. I heard that d-pad's buttons tend to break and fall off. I heard that the screen's of the first psp's are dusted from the inside. I heard that the screen has very few dead pixels.

Answer -
Are the games displayed on the screen visible at all angles? Is the battery life as long as SONY told us it would?

Dude - i ENVY you :D Whatever the answers are. (and that ladies and gentlemen is called 'good advertising strategy' of which i became a victim....)

Dogg Thang
17th December 2004, 06:59 PM
Oohhh, a psp in Ireland. Very nice. I'm expecting one next week. Tried any of the multimedia functions yet? Mp3s, movies and whatnot? Any trouble figuring it out seeing as you don't have instructions in english?

Dogg.

stin
17th December 2004, 08:15 PM
I envy youuuuuuu

stevie :xtree

Dimension
18th December 2004, 12:07 AM
This imported from Japan? How long did it take to arrive? (read: I too envy you)

The Boye
18th December 2004, 06:17 AM
I've heard there is a new revised model due mid January with some of the faults fixed ( mis-aligned square button, auto eject discs) hopefully they will be in plentiful supply by then without the horrendous price tag.

Sonys official line on region coding is that it will be left to the publishers discretion whether to have any region lockout switched on or off. First party titles are thought to be region free but I guess we'll have to wait and see if Pure runs on these import models.

I'm waiting for a nice fault-free white number with hopefully a new improved energiser bunny on the inside.

I'm also still envious of yawnstretchs new addition to the family. That screen is a gift of the gods.

piranha wiper
18th December 2004, 02:27 PM
I've heard there is a new revised model due mid January with some of the faults fixed ( mis-aligned square button, auto eject discs) hopefully they will be in plentiful supply by then without the horrendous price tag. it hasnt even bee released in england yet so why releas another one straight after to fix the problems why not just do it now? yeah any way ENVYYY! :lol:

The Boye
18th December 2004, 06:55 PM
Eh?

yawnstretch
19th December 2004, 01:57 AM
OK sorry for the delay - I work Saturdays. First of all - all the rumours are BS. The buttons work perfectly as you would expect, the umds do not come out on their own, the analog nub is very very nice to use but its not like anything you've used before which is why people are having difficulty comparing it with other things - you'll just have to wait until you're actually playing a game with it to understand.

What else? Battery power - when its plugged in i put the brightness on lev 3 (there are 4 levs with level 4 being only available on the mains but its too bright imo) and when Im out and about I also have it on lev 3. I've had about 4and ahalf hours of Ridge Racer before the battery light comes on. But I didnt let it die so I cant be sure - I wanted to keep playing but so far I've only actually charged it once (for about an hour).

Here are a few pics
http://photobucket.com/albums/v611/ChocNutR/

What else? The system is incredibly well-crafted and feels the perfect weight. The refresh rate is off the scale - I remember reading about the screen being awesome but I thought they just meant awesome for a handheld - I was wrong this is the clearest screen I have ever seen on any device and it looks unnatural in my hands - like the screen has been photoshopped onto reality or something.

The buttons dont squeak, there are no dead pixels, what other crap were people saying... I cant remember but Im not worried - you will all see for yourselves as this thing is guaranteed to sell though the roof.

Ridge Racers includes all the incarnations of all the ridge racers games and playing a rave racers track today (with lots of big jumps) I can safely say that this will perhaps be an even better format for wipeout for a few reasons. Number 1: widescreen - it actually makes a very big perception difference in racing games and greatly adds to the immersiveness for some strange reason - I think it's because after your eyes find their focus at the center of the screen and the horizon, your peripheral vision is also being filled to a greater extent. The analog nub will be a new deal for wipeout. Its faster than an analogue stick and more precise as well as very easy to use. It feels very natural but at the same time different to everything we've used before. Even if i described it perfectly it would still only make sense when you played a game yourself but I think (although I havent used a negcon) its probably a marked improvement over what we've used to control wipeout with before.

I assume people know about the wireless lan capability of the PSP. You may also know that you can purchase a cheap wireless router and play your psp over the net too. Yes - this is something Im very much looking forward to!

Just looking back at some of the questions - no dust, also its nothing like a gba sp screen which seems to have a gap between the lcd and the plastic that covers it - the psp has no gap and as such there is no dust whatsoever either.

Yes you can view it from all angles.

I have put photos and mp3s on and the menu system is a breeze to use (in fact my pc told me that the device was capable of faster speeds than my current configuration was able to match). As for videos I havent tried yet - ive seen different people talking about codecs and stuff but Ill give it a shot soon.

Yes mine came from Japan, through Lik Sang. I got absolutely DESTROYED by customs but it was still worth it. For a val pack and ridge and UPS shipping it was 471 euro. But customs caught me and I had to pay 115 euro to them - when I saw the psp for the first time though I realised I would gladly pay even more - its like something fell out of the future onto my lap.

AmishRobot
19th December 2004, 04:34 AM
I assume people know about the wireless lan capability of the PSP. You may also know that you can purchase a cheap wireless router and play your psp over the net too.

How would this work? Wouldn't the game need some player-matching capabilites, (I think I'd have read about online play if it was an actual feature), or run through some sort of tunnelling software? If that were possible, it would be really exciting.

oggob
19th December 2004, 07:10 AM
That's awesome, I was thinking of going for an import of the machine, but since WipEout Pure won't be available just yet there is nothing for me to get excited about.

I'll get mine early next year, and the trips to work will never be the same again!

stin
19th December 2004, 07:13 AM
At least you are happy with it. I had a look through ebay but did you see the prices!!!! 8O 8O
but I would rather wait till the prices comes down before September cos I`m going to Portugal for a golfing holiday.

Cool stuff you have yawnstretch but you`ll have to wait for Pure to come out.

stevie :D

Shem
19th December 2004, 07:23 AM
There's nothing like an honest review from the actual user of PSP. I know about the rumours, that's why I wanted you to say if they are true yawnstretch. But since you say the rumours are BS, well, then great! That clears the picture. Awesome pictures BTW! You've got yourself a damn awesome christmas present!! :D

Rapier Racer
19th December 2004, 10:18 AM
I assume people know about the wireless lan capability of the PSP. You may also know that you can purchase a cheap wireless router and play your psp over the net too. Yes - this is something Im very much looking forward to!

Oh my well then it's definitely going to be worth having if that’s correct amongst the other stuff you said, lucky, lucky you! What does it sound like? Are the speakers good quality?

Hellfire_WZ
19th December 2004, 10:54 AM

If this is right, and Wipeout Pure can take advantage of this, I really can't wait. We'll finally be able to race head-to-head! :D

yawnstretch
19th December 2004, 11:41 AM
More info on PSP tunneling.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/571/571365p1.html

Yeah, I will have to wait for Pure - it's the real reason I started looking into the PSP in the first place but if they finish the unoffical net software soon I should be able to play Ridge against other people. Its becoming obvious that I'll have to wait about half a year before I can play anyone else in my country! - The vast majority of people havent even heard of PSP yet.

Dogg Thang
19th December 2004, 01:35 PM
Well I'm in Ireland and mine should be arriving next week and we can't be the only two.

Dogg.

Thruster2097
19th December 2004, 02:25 PM
According to the claims by the japanese press, SCEJ have made 200,000 units of PSP, which were sold on the release HOUR. I also read about an estimated 10,000 further units per week.
Anybody who has one of these pieces of gold dust has two options.
A:
Un-wrap as soon as possible and enjoy the best handheld console.
B:
Keep it boxed and sell the damn thing at xmas for a huge profit on a popular auction site. (no names, no lawsuits)

By the time they are back in stock in Japan they wil probably be on sale over here anyway.
In my local towns and shoping centres, they have big signs in the window saying quite clearly "PREORDER YOUR PSP NOW" I go inside the shop, they ALL tell me that they are not actually taking preorders at the moment, but if I could leave them my name and number they will notify me when the PSP Pre-orders are available. To be perfectly honest, I do not think this is acceptible, as there is absolutely nothing stopping the shop attendant "losing" my request for a pre-order in favour of one of his/her friends, or themselves. The shops are to blame for advertising something they dont actually have.
However, I have decided to place as many pre-pre-orders as I can in the shops and internet sites so I am guaranteed to get a pre-order, so I am guaranteed to get a PSPurE bundle in March. Hopefully. Possibly. :?

yawnstretch
19th December 2004, 02:26 PM
I hope not!!! Cool maybe we can get a game going ;) What part of Ireland you in?

Here are my videos! Graciously hosted for me by a pal from irc.

MOVIE A)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/KIF_0472.AVI
(13.97MB)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/pspmovie2.avi
(2.74MB)

MOVIE B)
http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/KIF_0469.AVI
(13.97MB)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/pspmovie1.avi
(2.67MB)

There are only 2 movies - and low quality versions of each. KIF are high Q.

Mobius
19th December 2004, 02:40 PM
wow!

how big is the psp really? my mates think it is huge. but i think it is more of the size of the original gba...can you shed some light on this?

yawnstretch
19th December 2004, 03:45 PM
Some of the pictures dont convey scale very well because of perspective etc.

Lets see. I had heard some people say it was smaller than they expected but I've looked at so many pictures I was close enough in my own mind but there is nothing quite like having it in your own hands to truly understand it precisely.

The buttons are smaller than Ps2 butons although the dpad is about the same (only nicer). It feels quite compressed - as if its very solidly and tightly built inside. and has a lovely weight to it. Im not sure what to compare it to - have you seen the shots of a gba sp lined up with a PSP? Those are good for understanding. Its not too big in my opinion - the only big thing it seems is the screen. The length of it is all screen (baby!) and when its in your hands thats pretty much all you'll see. Its not too thick either nor to skinny - its slim and just right. I have very average hands too so I think that all in all you couldnt get a better size or shape if you daydreamed all day.

Im sorry I cant convey the scale any better :?

Oh I havent got a gba anymore to compare it to unfortunately - but from memory it seems a tiny bit longer with a wayyyy larger screen. Also even the Gba sp feels cheapo compared to it and I used to think that was a pinnacle of design (which it was but the PSP feels like - I dont know an ipod or something)

G'Kyl
19th December 2004, 05:51 PM
Concerning the mentioned defects; I just found this on Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/17/news_6115293.html (read rumor#2)

Looks like they are for real. Although of course, not each PSP comes with every problem. :)

Ben

Rapier Racer
19th December 2004, 06:10 PM
oh dear, I don't like the look of that flying disk trick, they better get that sorted before the European launch

Sven
19th December 2004, 06:40 PM
The "flying disc" trick actually takes quite a bit of force from what I'm told. Nothing to really be worried about for everyday use.

I've had about 4and ahalf hours of Ridge Racer before the battery light comes on.Awesome! Can you set it to level two and tell me how long it takes Ridge Racers to drain a full charge?

Dogg Thang
19th December 2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I have seen many first hand reports from a few of the boards I visit and it seems these problems have been blown out of all proportion. Nobody has had any flying discs. Nobody is having trouble with the square button. However, a couple of people (one or two out of maybe twenty or so reports) have had dead pixels but that seems to be the extent of it.

Personally I'll be well annoyed if I end up with a dead pixel but I'm not worried about the other issues at all. By the way, yaenstretch, I'm in Dublin. I don't know where you are but maybe we'll have some RR races some time! I'm hoping we won't be the only PSP owners around though!

Dogg.

Shem
19th December 2004, 08:21 PM
That doesn't mean that the problem of flying discs doesn't exist. Just watch THIS (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cf6y-oot/umd/fly_004.avi) movie, and see if for yourself. I've seen it, i've seen the disc flying out of PSP, so there IS a problem with that. Dead pixels? If you belive people from that forums, then there is some truth in the fact that dead pixels exists also. I say, that there is some truth in what people say, but it doesn't mean that EVERY PSP is valid in a way. It's obvious.

Rapier Racer
19th December 2004, 08:29 PM
yeah thats the same movie that was on G'kyls page

Mobius
19th December 2004, 08:42 PM
lol - remids me of the ripper out of unreal tournament.

i do hope they fix that cause i will probably smash up pure or somethign if i had one.

The Boye
20th December 2004, 06:09 AM
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4010

Shows the mis-aligned square button, the right digital button also has the same flaw. The machine I tried just had a less smooth movement than the other buttons but after longterm use there could well be damage to both the button and the screen.

G'Kyl
20th December 2004, 08:06 AM
Just so I (not a technician at all) know: What's the problem with misaligned buttons? As long as the square works fine, what difference does the alignment make?

Ben

Mobius
20th December 2004, 10:24 AM
when a button is mis-alignes it means you might get no responce if you press (scuse the pun) square on the button. it would mean you would have to press closer to the sensor benath and in this cat top the right where there might be a risk of hitting other buttons...

G'Kyl
20th December 2004, 11:26 AM
OK, thanks. But doesn't Sony have tested the PSP thoroughly enough, so that buttons which hardly work would have been recognized? I haven't heard any reports of problems resulting from the button issue so far. All that is are the pictures, so maybe it isn't as bad as it sounds?

Ben

Dogg Thang
21st December 2004, 02:54 PM
Well I got my PSP. It's a beautiful machine. No dead pixels, which is nice. No flying UMDs. Square button perfectly responsive. No problems at all. Well, expect for the fact that it is a bit of a fingerprint magnet.

But I haven't been as wowed by a console since I saw Sonic the Haedgehog on the Megadrive for the first time.

Dogg.

Lance
21st December 2004, 02:57 PM
i wonder if this signals the beginning of the end for plug-in-to-the-wall consoles?

Rapier Racer
21st December 2004, 05:43 PM
nah I seriously doubt that, but now you have me worried 8O as good as the PSP may be I will always be console bias and therfore I hope that crappy little handhelds don't take over

Dogg Thang
21st December 2004, 08:49 PM
I don't think they will. Handhelds are great for me because most of my game time is on buses these days, but I don't think they'd ever replace the full screen tv experience.

Dogg.

Lance
21st December 2004, 10:17 PM
i had in mind that the battery-powered handheld could also plug into a bigscreen tv as well as use its own built-in

yawnstretch
22nd December 2004, 12:17 AM
Hey Dogg we'll have to meet up some time in the city centre for a game! Sweet as hell isnt it! Do you know the 3G broadband store on Henry Street? A mate of mine is a manager there - itd be a decent place to test out the wifi and its never crowded.

Also, the UMDs arent spring loaded so its actually impossible for them to fly out the way they do in those videos. LIES LIES ALL LIES! My sympathys for the few with dead pixels though :(

If they do this wipeout properly it could well be the best wipeout yet. FIngers crossed.

lunar
22nd December 2004, 12:17 AM
whenever I go anywhere I`m driving.... so the psp`s portability properties are pretty useless for me. I think flying Manor Top on the M4 would probably be covered under "driving without due care and attention." I would just want to use the psp as a device enabling me to play a new wipeout on a proper telly with a real controller.

Regarding the PSP`s own buttons.... what happens when they wear out? Changing a PSP isn`t exactly the same as dealing with a worn out and busted dualshock, is it?

Dimension
22nd December 2004, 01:01 AM
from what i've seen in pica the front cover comes off them, chances are Sony'll sell replacement front covers or do the mobile phone thing with different designs (which might be cool)

JABBERJAW
22nd December 2004, 02:45 AM
lance, I'm thinking the same thing. I think some japanese company will make this before it comes out in europe and the US. Then all I need to do is jury rig a negcon and :D

Mobius
22nd December 2004, 09:27 AM
I think flying ManorTop on the M4 would probably be covered under "driving without due care and attention."

Yeah! I could just imagine one person turning at a right angle straight into the crash barrier :P

@ E3 didnt the show the psp with custom covers on?

Lance
22nd December 2004, 07:21 PM
Al, do you think NAMCO will ever make controllers again? as long as it's still possible to get never-used old production neGcons, i suppose they will never make thEm again, but maybe some other new and truly innovative control?

JABBERJAW
23rd December 2004, 01:56 AM
NOt a chance I think. HOwever I have some very good ideas for controllers. A new negcon could have all the same buttons as a regular dual shock and even the sticks on it. All you would need is a switch to allow the negcon to twist and disable the left-right movement of the left thumbstick so you could use it for pitch control. It would need to be programmable though with twist settings, which a lot of wheels do. Using this you wouldn't need a new configuration like the "negcon setting". It would work for all racing games, and considering all the console controller converters out there for ps2, it would work for all consoles as well(A negcon type controller with Quantum redshift or Fzero would be pretty cool)

Asche XL
23rd December 2004, 10:11 PM
Still no release date on the United States PSP is there?

Rapier Racer
24th December 2004, 12:08 PM
Won’t it be late march or before the UK launch? I find it difficult to believe that we in the UK will get our hands on the PSP before you in the US you get almost everything first *goes in the huff*

Except WO 3 SE :twisted: