PDA

View Full Version : One up, Pure Preview.

Angryman
14th December 2004, 11:06 AM
http://1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3137236&did=1

http://members.optusnet.com.au/starpet1/pure.jpg

There are 12 new tracks and four classic tracks (one each from the previous four games in the series) in the game. The classic tracks are Manortop (Wip3out), Karbonis (WipEout), Sagarmatha (WipEout XL) and Mandrashee (Wipeout Fusion).

Manortop :rock_on

Of the five games SCEE showed at their event, Wipeout Pure showed the most promise, and with downloadable content on the way, all we need to get excited is confirmation of a U.S. release for the game. We'll be back with more soon.
8)
Sounding really gooood!!!

:twisted:

xEik
14th December 2004, 11:29 AM
Besides the Tournament, Single Race, Free Race and Time Trial game modes, there's wireless multiplayer racing.
Does anybody know what Free Race is? :?:

BTW: image edited into a link as per the ususal low bandwidth friendly forums policy.

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 11:35 AM
Maybe it's a race that you can configure the way you like playing most (number of laps, damage on/off, weapons on/off, competing ship types and the like)? Dunno for sure, though.

EDIT Almost forgot:

[...]Sagarmatha (WipEout XL)[...]

GOOD choice! Design-wise Sagarmartha has always been among my favourits from all WOs.

Ben

Sven
14th December 2004, 11:56 AM
Why couldn't they have included all the tracks from previous wipeouts? There were so many good ones. Talon IV, Valpariso, Vostok Island, Gare d' Europa, P-Mar Project, Mega-Mall, Firestar......

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 12:12 PM
Most probably because it takes time. Also, it is important to come up with something that says "I'm new!" in order to make the game attractive for the majority of players. Most people want evolution, not retro. :) The latter is for freaks like us but doesn't sell as good. Plus, you want to show off with what your new engine can do - for which you need tracks that are built specifically to make use of new features. And then, at the end of the day, I - as a developer - would love to look at what I have achieved and be able to say: "Well, here's what _I_ did!" :) All in all, getting some of the older tracks is a nice and welcomed feature, but a game lives or dies from what it is as a stand-alone.

Ben

Dimension
14th December 2004, 12:27 PM
the plan is to offer gamers the chance to remix some of the music at the Wipeout Pure website, and then transfer the remixes into the game.

Cool, can't wait for that one :D

Yeah this is sounding awesome, would rather have had Terminal than Manor Top myself but I know Manor Top's the most popular so i'll not argue :)

Interesting that they're doing it all on one island in a similar way to W3O's mega city idea, sounds like a nice idea indeed :!:

Rapier Racer
14th December 2004, 09:08 PM
Pure is sounding better all the time I'm definately buying a PSP now!

Why couldn't they have included all the tracks from previous wipeouts? There were so many good ones. Talon IV, Valpariso, Vostok Island, Gare d' Europa, P-Mar Project, Mega-Mall, Firestar......

I agree Gare d' Europa for ever!!! you never know they may offer some of the older tracks for download once its all up and running

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 09:48 PM
I agree Gare d' Europa for ever!!! you never know they may offer some of the older tracks for download once its all up and running

Gare d'Europa is the only track I played about as often as Talon's Reach. Maybe it's the apostrophes! *cough*
Seriously though, it was the only track availble in the PC demo and I instantly fell in love with it! God, I even played it in software mode and it didn't matter (,which, however, made me wonder why the retail version didn't have such an option. And not that my buying a 3D accelerator helped 3DFX all that much... ;) ).

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe they have the guts and technology to allow players build their own courses. I don't need mods for Wipeout (interesting thought, though...), but having an active scene making bonus material - hell, I'd even pay for that! At least a little.

Ben

Hybrid Divide
14th December 2004, 09:49 PM
You guys forget, they're going to have downloadable tracks.

I have a feeling we'll likely see more classic tracks there. :D

Sven
14th December 2004, 09:57 PM
you never know they may offer some of the older tracks for download once its all up and runningTRUE! I didn't think of that, I'm just not used to extra content downloads with Sony games :lol:
It would be so cool if they offered "retro pack" downloads that give you more classic tracks and ships. That would be something I'd even pay for.

Man, between this and custom soundtracks in F1 04, I may have to opt for a 512 mem stick!

Hybrid Divide
14th December 2004, 10:00 PM
[quote=Assegai Developments]
Man, between this and custom soundtracks in F1 04, I may have to opt for a 512 mem stick!

Hell, maybe they'll have custom soundtracks in Pure too.

Just think... Body in Motion, Messij, etc. :D

Thruster2097
14th December 2004, 10:07 PM
A fully customisable wipeout has got to be the closest thing to spiritual nirvana. To have all of the original tracks from all of the original wipeouts sounds like a fantastic idea, but realistically it will never happen. Even the expansion packs will probably hold a further three tracks each from each game.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else notice the Wip3out Auricom on the screenshot?

Prometheus
14th December 2004, 10:10 PM
If Pure turns out to be a success which judging by the screens and footage, it obviously will be, i think the same team should seriously consider revisiting the PS2 platform. The hardware isn't too bad considering and they should't deny PS2 owners the right to have a good wipeout version on this platform... after all, there were three versions (not counting special edition) of the original series before they moved on.
We could even see online features available... more people have broadband now more than ever (there are many private server programs you can play ps2 games on), and perhaps make use of a PS2 hard drive (not sure if this was released or yet to be or even cancelled) who knows, it could go in hand with the psp, place tracks and ships onto the bigger console version, or take tracks with you on psp........Just a thought after reading the interview of wipeout fusion in the article section....

Sven
15th December 2004, 01:07 AM
Actually, considering the state of the PS2's life cycle, I think a PS3 launch title would be more prudent 8O

btw, would someone care to refresh my memory on which track they took from Fusion? I remember tracks, but not names...I haven't touched the game in like two years. Will Pure have any inversions like Fusion did?

JABBERJAW
15th December 2004, 01:33 AM
Wasn't mandsharee boring as I recall. What about the track with all the tunnels and quick jumps. I don't really think sagarmatha is a good choice either(it was already in 3se). What about valparaiso? I'm not too worried about it though in that there will be downloadable content. What about Velocitar!! wo64

xqpx
15th December 2004, 05:07 AM
They really should have put Devilia in the game. That track was wasted in Fusion because you could only use it in the challenges. It would've been nice to actually race on it. :(

Hybrid Divide
15th December 2004, 05:30 AM
What about Velocitar!! wo64

Velocitar was fun, but I'd have to throw in my vote for Terafumos.

Love that track. 8)

xEik
15th December 2004, 08:19 AM
I also agree that they had to concentrate mostly in new tracks and not depend too much in old ones, no matter how popular they might be.

The reason? Well, what pisses me off about Nintendo handhelds is that they always go through the same old worn off cycle: Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, etc. Doing simple remakes that sport very little innovation.

However, I will consider myself glad if I can download Phenitia Park, Valparaiso and P-Mar Project in the future.

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 09:40 AM
Actually, considering the state of the PS2's life cycle, I think a PS3 launch title would be more prudent 8O?
One of the head honchos at EA said recently that they gave up on the PS1 too early - you cant abandon the machine with a massive userbase just to chase the latest technology. Considering there are 80 million PS2's out there and rising, any game would sell in good numbers if it's released on the PS2 even if it only sells to a few percent of the potential market.

Personally I'd love to see another PS2 version of Wipeout - I haven't felt the need to own a handheld since I had my Lynx and I was at college, so I probably wont be splashing out on a PSP. On the other hand, I have three PS2's, a wireless network in my home that one is connected to, and soon to be two when TS3 is released, so I have no real need for a PSP.

The Boye
15th December 2004, 11:37 AM
I have no real need for a PSP.

Aye right! :D

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 01:27 PM
Other than for Wipeout, I mean.

And Madden.

Burnout might not be so bad, either... oh, and Gran Tourismo.

But... *ahem* other than that, I cant think of why I'd need another console. When I'm not sitting on my arse in front of a computer I'm sitting on my arse in front of a TV playing games on my PS2. That's, like, all my arse time used up... unless you count... :oops: ... actually, lets not go there.

Maybe I just need more convincing. :)

xEik
15th December 2004, 01:37 PM
That's, like, all my arse time used up... unless you count... :oops: ...
You could always use an Eye Toy during those moments. I'm sure there must be a suitable game for that. :roll:

actually, lets not go there.
Alright, alright... I just couldn't resist. :P

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 01:40 PM
arse toy?! :lol: 8O

Lance
15th December 2004, 02:06 PM
EA may definitely have given up too early on the PS-1. and not just because of the huge installed base, but because it's still a viable and very enjoyable game machine. anything that gives me the great pleasure of playing WO2 and WO3, GT [which is great if i turn off the in-game music ;) ], N'Gen Racing, Vigilante8, and suchlike is still a great game machine even if it isn't anywhere near the latest tech marvel.

i've still never even bought a PS2 [i plead poverty :) ], but i've never felt a lack because i still get so much pleasure from my PSX and my Dreamcast. not to mention that WO Fusion turned out to be too bugged and with too many good elements left out. and Wipeout is the main reason i'd want any new Sony machine. however Wipeout Pure is looking so promising that if it delivers i will be really feeling the lack. and i sure hope Pure delivers the goods!

Dimension
15th December 2004, 03:51 PM
i sure hope Pure delivers the goods!

You're not alone there mate. In a lot of ways, pure delivering the goods will be pretty important on the european front in the upcoming war against the Nintendo DS, if SCEE can pull this one out of the hat, it'll be a serious blow to the Nintendo boys, i'm sure :D

Lance
15th December 2004, 04:35 PM
i would just hope that the competition would make Nintendo get off its lazy posterior and produce something other than reruns of Mario and other antique, though beloved, classics. they need some new and more adult franchises to go along with the already proven cash cows

G'Kyl
15th December 2004, 05:35 PM
Actually, considering the state of the PS2's life cycle, I think a PS3 launch title would be more prudent 8O?
One of the head honchos at EA said recently that they gave up on the PS1 too early - you cant abandon the machine with a massive userbase just to chase the latest technology. Considering there are 80 million PS2's out there and rising, any game would sell in good numbers if it's released on the PS2 even if it only sells to a few percent of the potential market.

But with a generation of players that prefers design over content and a new Xbox on the horizon, Sony won't have another chance than to deliver an equally powerful hardware.

Speaking of PS1 and 2, does anybody know if the PS2 actually managed to largen Sony's user base more than the PS1 had been able to?

Ben

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 10:17 PM
The PS2 has far outstripped the PS1's userbase, in a shorter time frame too.

You could read about it here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4054797.stm

and here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3544039.stm

And even here:
http://www.scee.presscentre.com/content/detail.asp?ReleaseID=2472&NewsAreaID=2

Where it says the total shipments of PS2 have surpassed the 100 million mark - and that was in May. Those 100 million users aren't all going to stop buying and playing games on their PS2's the minute the xbox 2 or PS3 is released - only the very early adopters will be doing that.

G'Kyl
16th December 2004, 07:30 PM
Where it says the total shipments of PS2 have surpassed the 100 million mark - and that was in May. Those 100 million users aren't all going to stop buying and playing games on their PS2's the minute the xbox 2 or PS3 is released - only the very early adopters will be doing that.

Thanks! But then why do you say it's no good introducing a new platform if it pays off? Just asking... :)

Lance
16th December 2004, 07:36 PM
you remember how the new compact PS-1 was introduced to replace the PSX so that the new PS-2 would have a huge obvious edge in visual size and importance when it was introduced?

note the now reduced-size PS-2. ;)

G'Kyl
16th December 2004, 08:23 PM
*carts bed into bathroom to make room for PS3*

Rapier Racer
16th December 2004, 10:23 PM
yeah.... I never thought about it like that before Lance, well well you learn sometihng new everyday, PS3's round the corner then so is it worth getting a PSP..

Lance
16th December 2004, 11:14 PM
not necessarily a PS-3; they may have just done it so the PSP wouldn't look so small. and like costing too much for something that little. or something

yawnstretch
16th December 2004, 11:38 PM
I could be wrong - but Id say the next generation will be slower to get off the ground, PS3 may not be worth worrying about until mid 2006 at best. At the very least consider the ridiculous man hours that will need to go into games produced for these powerful machines.

Personally I think most of the talented games makers will be involved in PSP over the coming 2 years.

Dimension
17th December 2004, 02:42 AM
yeah, I hope you're right yawnstretch, something needs to slow the console wars down a bit, at this rate the PS3 will be dead by the middle of 2007 :?

G'Kyl
17th December 2004, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't worry so much, Dimension. One aspect that makes consoles so attractive to a majority of their users is their longevity. I am certain Sony and MS know that video game markets depend more on quality and quantity of the games than hardware.

Rapier Racer
17th December 2004, 08:05 AM
At the very least consider the ridiculous man hours that will need to go into games produced for these powerful machines.

oh no, more work involved in creating games, that means we'll be paying £69.99 per game when it first come out :evil: