PDA

View Full Version : Stepping away from gameplay for a moment...

Dimension
12th December 2004, 12:02 PM
With the little bit of a story that the wipEout games always come with, how do you think they're going to explain Qirex's return from being eaten by Tigron and the other teams' magical reappearances :?:

infoxicated
12th December 2004, 12:08 PM
8O

I ask myself the same questions almost daily.

And sometimes during the night, too.

I'm sure they'll come up with something. :)

Thruster2097
12th December 2004, 12:27 PM
Quite simply, I really hope they dont! :P
In my opinion, the element of role-playing, in ANY racing game, is to try and make the game longer, and squeese every drop out of the playability of the game.

However, the PSP's WipEout PurE has one major flaw against it. (in a story mode/explination, anyway)

The very low battery life of the system.
- Races have to be short and exiting to give the user a sense of reward and progression for playing for such a short time (10mins-20mins)

infoxicated
12th December 2004, 12:30 PM
I don't think he means any kind of in-game story... this isn't TOCA Race Driver here - I think he just means the back story to the universe. :)

Lance
12th December 2004, 12:30 PM
surely there is going to be an auxiliary plug-in AC adaptor so it can be played for hours when near electric outlets?

Shem
12th December 2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah, they probably won't explain anything. Although they should. At least by saying "this game is a comeback to the roots of Wipeout". And....damn, that explaination is the best so far.

Thruster2097
12th December 2004, 02:23 PM
Yeah, there is an AC power adaptor in the pack, but normal buses/trains in this county dont come with 240V mains by the seats. :P
They had to change the story mode in Ridge Racers to allow for the battery. You tell the game how long you want to play for(or how much battery life you have), and it randomly sets up a list of tracks and number of laps for you. Sort of a custom league.

I really cant visualise a story linking Fusion with PurE. The two are like coal dust and diamonds. Essentialy the same, but oh so different...

Perhaps PurE should come with an explination instead of a story. Something like: "This is WipEout. Shut up and Enjoy!" :lol:

Set
12th December 2004, 07:18 PM
Oh, but I love all the backstory stuffs!
Methinks they may not progress into the future (chronologically after WoF), but head back and do something there. After all, this is PurE, which is a return to the older style of racing in the series. It would be hard to implement, but seeing Qirex colors and such is making me believe it's possible.

Rapier Racer
12th December 2004, 08:16 PM
I was thinking about this as well and thought that the simplest way to get out of the Fusion mess would be to simply act like it never happened, they may write short backgrounds for each team and chose to completely exclude Fusion

Sven
12th December 2004, 08:27 PM
I kind of figured Pure would just be set at some point between XL and 3...

But it doesn't really matter anyway. Quirex >>>>> Tigron. Who cares about anything else?

Lance
12th December 2004, 08:40 PM
i care a lot about Icaras, and i'm sure a bunch of people care about AG-S

Set
13th December 2004, 12:17 AM
Don't forget Assegai!

G'Kyl
13th December 2004, 08:14 AM
I don't think I'd like the idea of getting some sort of prequel with Pure. They could very well have implemented the idea of going back to the roots into the main "story" of the game - maybe after some huge accident or god knows what some things had to be reconsidered... After all, it shouldn't have been that difficult to explain for the return of some teams and the disappearance of others, and after even more, personally I don't care that much. *g* Should the game be what I hope for, I'll take it for what it is. :)

Ben

xqpx
13th December 2004, 11:07 PM
I think they should just ignore Fusion... or tell you that Fusion is a real-life inspired game people in Wipeout Pure's time like to play in between races. Who knows... :roll:

Quite simply, I really hope they dont! :P
However, the PSP's WipEout PurE has one major flaw against it. (in a story mode/explination, anyway)

The very low battery life of the system.
- Races have to be short and exiting to give the user a sense of reward and progression for playing for such a short time (10mins-20mins)

What do you mean? I could do a normal race in that much time. :?

Set
14th December 2004, 02:17 AM
But if one would want to do some sort of league of races, it could take a while...

Lance
14th December 2004, 09:10 PM
repeated attempts at new record times can also last awhile

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 09:38 PM
Although it were annoying having the PSP turn itself off while playing, what it actually does is go into sleep mode and wake up exactely where it went off as soon as it is back on power. So, don't fear losing your progress. :) Source here is an article on the lifespan of a battery charge from IGN.

Dimension
14th December 2004, 10:46 PM
Oh excellent, that's a mjor part of the PSP's primary flaw out of the way, not lost progress, brilliant! :D

Sven
15th December 2004, 08:52 PM
Say, does anyone have any idea what Pure's league designation will be?

3600, 5000, 7200, 9000, ?????

Thruster2097
15th December 2004, 09:38 PM
following the current form, if indeed PurE is to be designated the 5th title for the sony system, then PurE is F10400.

Or F10.4k.

Or just PurE.
:wink:

Dimension
15th December 2004, 09:59 PM
Actually I think it could be F10400 (F10k4?), F11200 (F11k2?) or F10800 (F10k8?)... there doesn't seem to be any kind of correlation though, maybe they'll just choose a nice number? I say F 12000 (F12k) :D