PDA

View Full Version : WipEout Pure Developer interview on IGN!

Hybrid Divide
10th December 2004, 07:16 PM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/572/572381p1.html

Figured you people might want to see this. :D

FINALLY! After pestering them for WipEout Pure news (Check their mailbag section), we finally get some!

This is a good day indeed. :D

Sven
10th December 2004, 08:40 PM
I was about to come post the same thing...I was really glad when I saw that interview. I had been hoping Pure would be a throwback to the classic days, and the videos I saw seemed to make it look like it would...now I have confirmation (and 8 player wifi to boot)!

BTW, IGN also says (http://psp.ign.com/articles/571/571365p1.html) the tunnelling hackers at xlink (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk) are hard at work trying to figure out how to tunnell the PSP online, so we could very well be playing online Wipeout this spring! I'm so excited.

Although, I kind of wish this was coming to PS2 instead. I can't imagine playing Zone mode on a 3 inch screen, heh.

G'Kyl
10th December 2004, 08:58 PM
Same here, Sven. I'm looking forward to some bad eye ache when playing Pure. ;-)

Oh, I so took a breath of relief when I read it was one of the main aspects to make WOP like the old versions. And this here is what I liked best:

"The old pit-lane system has gone; now whenever you pick up a weapon you have the choice to fire it, or to absorb energy from the weapon, which in turn replenishes your ship's energy."

Yes, make it less features, and make them so that they expand gameplay depth. I think the idea sounds great. This should indeed make for some interesting decision during the races. Though I better wait until I see it work.

Can't wait now to lay hands on the game... ;)

Ben

Dimension
10th December 2004, 09:04 PM
brill! There are a lot more features in there than I expected they would have, guess we haven't seen the power of the PSP yet, just have to wait to see how all that fits :) Should be good though, great to hear that they are adding the downloadables, excellent! :D

on the weapons to shield energy thing, that would mean that (having no weapons in time trial), the boost would have to be in the original style, not hyperthrust (I guess). Would be a bit or a bastard if there was no way to restore shield energy in TT :|

yawnstretch
10th December 2004, 09:36 PM
Looks and sounds fantastic - especially the off the rails and new aerial maneuveres comments. Please God I get my pre-order PSP on Sunday!!! (not that wipEout is out any time soon :( )

stin
10th December 2004, 10:38 PM
WOW! This is alot closer than we think but be patience the now just in case.

I`m too exciting the now but I`m got to calm down. :oops:

stevie :)

Dimension
11th December 2004, 09:44 AM
yeah, it's killing me knowing i'll have to wait 3 or more months to get my hands on it :x Still, if it is as good as we hope/it sounds, the suspence will be all worth it :D

Mobius
11th December 2004, 01:02 PM
after reading the interview and looking at the pictures i can only say one thing...

i have (metaphorically) wet myself :wink:

but being serious do you think that studio liverpool have been listening in to the forums and hearing what we want?

Dogg Thang
11th December 2004, 02:27 PM
I think they absolutely have. I was all over the Fusion boards before and after that came out (I was one of the people who imported it from AUS because it came out there first) and, even back then, they were taking points about the differences in handling and what was missing or just plain wrong about Fusion. I think they felt that disappointment from people and knew what they had to do for a next one. The worry was, at the time, that there may well not be a next one.

Even from what they say in that interview, I think that they are on the right track. I just hope the execution of those ideas live up to expectations.

Dogg.

Asche XL
13th December 2004, 01:52 AM
I'm NOT too crazy about the ship design, from those pictures. I wasen't feelin' the cartoony look fusion had. I like the dark, slick, desgins of the previous 3 a lot better. Can't judge a game by a few screens but we shall see. *crosses fingers*

xEik
13th December 2004, 11:12 AM
Since when does WipEout Pure include a hidden football game? :lol:

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/imgs_1.html

:roll:

Rapier Racer
13th December 2004, 01:37 PM
lol :D :D

JABBERJAW
13th December 2004, 02:36 PM
Please add a supership with separate records! A lot of people love the supership and as long as there are separate records there should be no problem adding it. Wi fi could give you an option to use it or not(depending on who is hosting.

Thruster2097
13th December 2004, 07:01 PM
If you ask me, the secret football tournament isnt very secret any more!

Perhaps it's a funkier version of Quiddich.
With AG craft.
And Missiles!!! :lol:

nim
13th December 2004, 10:39 PM
this sounds great! a pity they couldn't get TDR to do the design again judging on the screens.
I hope the airbreaks are back to normal.
and I long for a new great soundtrack.

Lance
13th December 2004, 10:50 PM
i wonder if one of the new Wipeout ships is going to be a Firebolt 2000. capable of firing the Quidditch Quake

xqpx
13th December 2004, 11:40 PM
I actually like not having a "supership"... players can actually choose the ship they like and still win.

I'll be posting more now because there are interesting things to talk about! :)

JABBERJAW
14th December 2004, 12:51 AM
You can have separate record for the supership and the regular ships. And if you are playing wi fi, you can host a game and have an option to block the supership. This would make it enjoyable for everyone.

Mobius
14th December 2004, 09:40 AM
going off subject...

they have released more screenies on ign - woo!

infoxicated
14th December 2004, 10:00 AM
going off subject...

they have released more screenies on ign - woo!

I'll see if I can get some for us...

xEik
14th December 2004, 10:24 AM
Looking at those pics, it is true that the track borders are a bit too vertical for my taste.
All wipeouts have had something in the 60º-70º range while the screenshots seem to be closer to 80º (data is subjective, your degrees may vary).

Exclusive preview content for WipeoutZone would kick ass. Not that I'm extremely confident of getting any. Game review sites and mags seem a bit tyrannic with development studios in this sense (exclusive content, being first to release some info and that kind of stuff).

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 10:35 AM
Which brings me to the question of how the walls worked in Fusion. I never played it, but from comparing Fusion and Pure screenshots I was thinking that Pure might be using a similar collision/scraping model. So what DID happen in the PS2 incarnation when riding into a wall?

Ben

infoxicated
14th December 2004, 10:47 AM
In Fusion the walls were almost magnetic - it was difficult to get off of a wall once you'd hit it, but they didn't really decrease your speed much. Al found out that it was quicker to scrape around the outside of the corners than it was to turn through them. Fortunately, Pure is similar to Wipeout 3 in the wall scraping department.

Which is nice.

xEik
14th December 2004, 11:19 AM
If my memory serves me well, Mr Startwell is a detractor of WO3 turboscraping.
IMNSHO the best scraping is found in 2097: almost no slow down at all, almost no shield damaging and with great effects: that is plenty of sparkles and a high pitched sound of metal surfaces doing the old rubbing. :P

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 11:47 AM
In Fusion the walls were almost magnetic - it was difficult to get off of a wall once you'd hit it, but they didn't really decrease your speed much. Al found out that it was quicker to scrape around the outside of the corners than it was to turn through them.

Gnaawww - one of the biggest design mistakes being done over and over again. :-(

Fortunately, Pure is similar to Wipeout 3 in the wall scraping department.

Which is nice.

Which it is!!! Thank god! :-) Although I don't like turboscraping most...

IMNSHO the best scraping is found in 2097: almost no slow down at all, almost no shield damaging and with great effects: that is plenty of sparkles and a high pitched sound of metal surfaces doing the old rubbing. :P

"Yes!", "absolutely right" and "dito"! :) Scraping in XL had that excellent feel of real scraping metal to it. That, combined with the sense of speed that didn't get lost while scratching the rust off the wall, still is one of the things that makes XL my favourite game of all time.
Scraping WOULD slow you down, but not to the effect that it become a burden during normal races. Having to prevent scraping in TT and SR record runs is OK though. So the bottom line is that the "mixture" in XL was perfect and has since been unsurpassed.

Ben

Sven
14th December 2004, 09:44 PM
off-topic noob question: What exactly turbo scraping?

infoxicated
14th December 2004, 09:47 PM
In previous versions of the game, if you scraped a wing against the wall, you got a boost on certain parts of certain tracks.

Fortunately it's a thing of the past - it made no sense and I'm glad we wont be seeing it in Pure. :)

Sven
14th December 2004, 10:05 PM
Oh, I thought it had something to do with hyperthrusting while scraping the end of a corner or some such thing.

I think I've experienced this "turboscraping" phenomenon before, but I didn't think anything of it, and I also don't see how I could use it to help my laps. My brain has enough trouble trying to process Phantom class in just a straight line, lol!

Argh, why does this have to be so far away...

Lance
14th December 2004, 10:49 PM
turboscraping pretty much happens only in WO3

Dimension
14th December 2004, 10:52 PM
I'm going off turboscraping as time goes by, repeated crashes magnified by multiple times thanks to turbo scraping boosts are really wearing on me :brickwall