PDA

View Full Version : Sub 19 second lap :: Talon's Reach 2097

2SU
24th November 2004, 05:17 AM
This what I'm here (on this forum) for mainly - I want to see if a lap time I managed on Talon's Reach is just sheer fluke or actually some sort of skill was involved:

Game: 2097
Mode: Time Trial
Track: Talon's Reach
Class: Phantom
Ship: Piranha
Weapons: N/A
Shortcuts: No

Target Time Lap Time: 18.8 seconds.
This the time I managed to (somehow) acheive and not duplicate since :-(

Give me a shout with your times. Thanks!

Tusu.

G'Kyl
24th November 2004, 07:13 AM
Hi and welcome to the WOZ forums. Since you are interested in records, take a look here: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/records.php. Taking on the top times in those tables certainly makes much of the fun of this site - apart from the people here, of course :), so give it a shoot and try getting even better. By the way, there is a thread with a bunch of piloting tips in the Pilot's Lounge...

Ben

Lance
24th November 2004, 01:50 PM
hi, 2SU, welcome! :)
nope, your time is not a fluke, it really does take skill to keep from crashing those things, and with more practice you will be able not just to repeat it, but to beat it consistently. like Ben says, check out the records tables and be inspired. they can be a bit of a shock at first, but those guys practice a LOT! that page Ben linked to is the first one of the WO3 records, and is for SingleRace mode. you can choose any mode and any track with the set of selector boxes near the top of the page. to see the 2097 records go here:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/records.php?format=2097
again the first page is single race mode, just use the leftmost box at the top of the tables to pick TimeTrial, and click ''Display''.

the selector for the records pages for any Wipeout version we keep track of is on the left side of the page under 'Wipeout Records'.

i hope you join in the fun and become a regular competitor here. i'm telling you right now, though, that guy Arnaud Senand is going to be really hard to beat. he is a true master of the Piranha!. get ready to spend some time perfecting your racing line and getting really smooth precise control, which is not easy to do at speeds like that!

2SU
24th November 2004, 08:37 PM
Well at least I know I'm tied for eighth! lol

Lance
24th November 2004, 09:55 PM
that's better than many people can do. i like to think that if you can get within a couple of seconds of the top guy in Wipeout, you're a pretty hot pilot. usually the top one or two are really awesome. you'll find that Al and Arnaud are, taken all around, the best in the world. there are a couple of others that can push them in a few tracks, but no others that i have seen can equal their record of outstanding times on virtually every track in every class.

Dimension
24th November 2004, 10:57 PM
yeah, both of those guys' times are unbelievable, can't even get near them on Terminal (W3O), my favourite track :( oh well, persevere we must, they can't be unbeatable... can they? 8O

Lance
24th November 2004, 11:22 PM
no, they're not unbeatable, but it takes a sensational performance to do it, and even then they may come right back and do something even more sensational. i once beat Arnaud's best Piranha time by more than 2 seconds with a Qirex on Talon's Reach Venom class TT, but he eventually put up a record racetime that is not only one full second faster than mine, but is even 3 tenths faster than my current potential best time if i did all 3 of my best laps together. [best first + best second + best third]
!!!!!!!!

Dimension
25th November 2004, 09:05 PM
no, they're not unbeatable, but it takes a sensational performance to do it, and even then they may come right back and do something even more sensational. i once beat Arnaud's best Piranha time by more than 2 seconds with a Qirex on Talon's Reach Venom class TT, but he eventually put up a record racetime that is not only one full second faster than mine, but is even 3 tenths faster than my current potential best time if i did all 3 of my best laps together. [best first + best second + best third]
!!!!!!!!

Oh well, at least it's possible to hold some glory for a few hours :)

2SU
26th November 2004, 09:53 AM
Is there anyway of prooving our lap and race times?
Like taking a photo of our laptimes in the best times section under options. As you might well imagine I'm a little sceptical... :)

Lance
26th November 2004, 12:13 PM
as you race more and improve your times, you'll get more of a feel for what is genuinely possible. but you can get shots of the tv screen or videos of a race. i have seen both from people whose times i already trusted, and those were the top times, the very best that had been done. there are occasionally times that are clearly entered in the wrong slot by accident, but it is very rare that we see a time that appears to be a deliberate deception. we go by the honour system here, and it seems to work very well; we seem to have had very few cheats. if you have any questions about what is legal and what is not, just ask. shortcuts are legal btw. however, the record fastest time on Talon's Reach was done without shortcuts. the North American version, Wipeout XL, was used in this case. the ships are less ''floaty'' in it then they are in 2097, so shortcuts are less common

piranha wiper
26th November 2004, 06:13 PM
al and arnaud may be beaten, "HOW?" i hear ye all cry, well i shall tell you, the strategy of the infamous weapons,sure they may well beat you with in a second or a half but what about the choice of weapons, the time and place of thier use, BUT now i hear ye al cry again and say "HEY, what about the 2097 piranha with the no weapons" well its not just 2097 that they may beaten on there are other games to be played,

and a final note, i wonder if they can do some of the original wo times so i can have a challenge :D

Lance
26th November 2004, 06:57 PM
there was a challenge, much more than a year ago, here in the arena for the original WO. you may some find some times to run against there, though not necessarily against Al, and certainly not Arnaud, since he wasn't a member yet

Mano
27th November 2004, 07:46 AM
Hi everyone!!, its been a VERY, VERY long time, i have really missed posting here, sometimes i read the forums but i havent posted anything in a few months, my job and university are getting all my attention right now.

Im a month away from summer vacations here, by then i might start playing my favorite version again (XL), i am definitely going to try to break records on the other tracks!.

2su : Welcome to the forums!, heres a video from my previous record time:

http://wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1601

and some tips and a guide for talons here:

http://wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1329

There are some differences because this is XL (ntsc) and you are playing 2097 (pal) but you will find that theres a very little margin of difference between possible lap times and race times on Talons; however as you progress more you will also find that this small margin -tenths of a second- is VERY appreciated and is the inspiration for more racing...

you also might want to check the search feature so you can find more information :wink: search for "brake tapping" also...

OH and btw GET A NEGCON!!...... ;D

Lance
27th November 2004, 11:48 AM
Wipeout dictionary entry:
neGcon - 1.very important 2. required for best speed 3. absolutely non-do-withoutable

2SU
2nd December 2004, 12:08 AM
Lance :: I assume by your comments that a NegCon would be a wise investment?

I'd love to have a look at it :: but the link (http://www.trifocus.net/~foxzero/TTXLPP.mpg) won't work for me

G'Kyl
2nd December 2004, 07:43 AM
A good investment? No. The BEST investment apart from byuing the actual games? Yes! ;) Although some are more than satisfied with the dual shock and fly fast using it, most agree that a neGcon is absolutely necessary to really get the most out of your WO abilities. For me (and others) the neG simply feels right. From the moment I started playing with it I knew this was the way racing games had to be played with a gamepad, even though it certainly takes some minutes to adjust to the way the neG feels when in use.
What's good about the pad is that first of all, the twist gives you very precise control over your ship - you can even adjust max lock, dead zone and center values. The second big advantage, and the most important difference for me, is that steering and nose pitch control are seperated. I ALWAYS seperate gas/steering from horizontal from vertical controls in any racing game. This way, it is just so much easier to "manage" your fingers in a way that your vehicle will eventually do what you want it to do. So, go get yourself one. :) They aren't expensive any more and well worth every cent/penny/whatever you invest in one.

Ben

2SU
3rd December 2004, 07:46 PM
I've been doing none too shabby with an old school digital controller (not even dual shock) - I want to see if I can at least break the 18 second mark with one on Talon's Reach. I'll serach Ebay for a negcon though.

G'Kyl
3rd December 2004, 08:49 PM
Yep, it seems like digital control was well implemented into the game, and some pilots stikck to their Dual Shock (or whichever other controller they prefer). Howeverm, I am certain you could probably go one, even two seconds faster as soon as you get accustomed to a neGcon, so yeah, try get one. I'd like to know how much it really pays off for you - I only started racing for records after I got the neg, so I can't really tell what difference in seconds it made for me. :)

Ben

Mano
8th December 2004, 03:46 PM
Lance :: I assume by your comments that a NegCon would be a wise investment?

I'd love to have a look at it :: but the link (http://www.trifocus.net/~foxzero/TTXLPP.mpg) won't work for me

Heres a Link Ben posted that is working...

http://web6.p15147871.pureserver.info/TTXLPP.mpg

i recommend downlowading it complete (right click-save target as) then play it; dont stream it

I played Valpa yesterday for half an hour, was very happy since i havent played for months :D, i managed to get a decent phantom TT laptime and racetime, in december 17th i will start vacations so i guess i will get down on Valpa much further ;) ;

btw i notice Al hasnt posted many of his laptimes on the XL tables

Lance
8th December 2004, 06:29 PM
yes, i mentioned this to him when he first posted the racetimes. if i recall correctly, he said he posted them from his videotaped records of his runs rather than from memory cards. so i assume that he would have to go back through all the videotapes to get the laptimes now. a daunting task. probably ought to be done, though. i suspect he has very little time available for the Wipeout racing part of his life these days. pity

Mano
8th December 2004, 06:45 PM
Yeah pity indeed.. his times are kind of the flagship on the ntsc tables, but i can totally imagine that hes busy too, im doing many things right now, can barely catch a breath; and i dont even have kids!!; iirc Al has already stablished a family hasnt he?

Lance
8th December 2004, 08:12 PM
he married fairly recently. maybe about a year ago?

G'Kyl
8th December 2004, 09:47 PM
I was just talking to my girlfriend about marriage and kids. Maybe I should talk to her again, having too little time for Wipeout already and all. ;)

By the way, I'm currently trying to get a modded PSX, so I'll be able to play XL. Does anyone have an idea whether playing with a mod-chip affects NTSC or PAL issues? Will I be able to enter my records in the XL table?

Ben

stin
9th December 2004, 07:25 AM
By the way, I'm currently trying to get a modded PSX, so I'll be able to play XL. Does anyone have an idea whether playing with a mod-chip affects NTSC or PAL issues? Will I be able to enter my records in the XL table?

Ben

Modded PSX ? I would prefer one console for modded and one for ordinary cos it is safer that way it`s does projects your games on both consoles. On a side note I do NOT have copies like illegal copies and I did actually bought originals games from USA and Japan but all wipeout. :oops:

Anyway I`m actually competing against the sly old legend which therefor he IS really a awesome player!. :wink: (I have not beat my scores yet due playing SE alot from a wiper (cannot reveal his name due wipeoutzone reasons (I have not told him yet)) which we met each other on both countries, great guy and he CAN play his `D` pads not neggy! 8O )

stevie :)

G'Kyl
9th December 2004, 08:08 AM
Are you sure you were sober last night? ;) What did you mean by "it's safer to have a modded AND a normal PSX'?

And lastly, I never wanted to imply the D-Pad was bad - the neG is simply better. ;-P

Ben

stin
9th December 2004, 01:08 PM
Sorry my bad writing also I`m hopless at writing too so I`m doing my best :oops: but I had a slightly few drinks last night (cocktails :wink: )

Actually I have three playstation one consoles, one is modded and the other are normal so that is why I play seperate consoles if you get my drift?

Yes I do agree with you G`Kyl over joysticks but my records are still there still can`t beat them yet over neggy (did most of them anyway)

hope that`s clears you up?

stevie :)

G'Kyl
9th December 2004, 01:53 PM
Things just got much cleared indeed, thanks. *gg*

Hm, but can say anything about whether modding effects game speed? As far as I know, it shouldn't, because NTSC games running on a modified PSX would then run in standard NTSC mode and not some strange PAL conversion or whatever - but I thought I better asked so I could be sure.

By the way: Don't drink and scrape! ;)

Ben

zargz
21st January 2005, 09:33 AM
Do as I did - I got a ntsc/jap ps1. there I play my ntsc games! 8)
on a pal tv though 8O
but I dont think it affects the times! :D

Preaterea censeo Cartaginem esse delandam

Asayyeah
17th February 2005, 07:39 PM
however, the record fastest time on Talon's Reach was done without shortcuts.
And in a near future everyone could see this in real...
Btw i will probably dig an old topic from last year 'cause high-score has been changed ... 8O 8O

Dimension
17th February 2005, 07:45 PM
Do as I did - I got a ntsc/jap ps1. there I play my ntsc games! 8)
on a pal tv though 8O
but I dont think it affects the times! :D

Preaterea censeo Cartaginem esse delandam

wouldn't it be easier to just get an action replay-ish thing since they come with a program that lets you play foreign games :roll: On the otherhand i don't know if they did one with that kind of feature for the PSX, maybe a PS2 one would work? :lol:

zargz
17th February 2005, 10:02 PM
my moded pal-psx wouldnt play my wo3ntscUS game -> loads it ok but on the first checkpoint, at the start, it frezes :(
but will play with no problems the wo3ntscJAP version ??!!
wow! forgot the jap has autoload and bigger font as in SE :)
I also got 2 unmoded pal-psx and 1 psOne -> the jap1 8)
and i Do have the action replay-ish thing and it's the same result there >> ntscJ - ok ntscUS - not :cry:
but i'm fine coz can play it on my psOneJ! :D

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam