PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Arcade Machine?

Mad_Capsule
6th March 2002, 09:57 AM
How amazing would it be to have four life sized sleds, next to each other in an arcade, each running super smooth 60fps 2000+ res linked versions of Wipeout Xl/2097?

That's mine and my friend's dream! If someone made even just one of those, don't you think it would be fantastic? Just think of the atomstphere!?!!

Wow. I really am just daydreaming.....

*MC*

infoxicated
6th March 2002, 10:11 AM
Someone posted something about an arcade machine on the old forums... I'll need to see if I can find the link for you.

Spaceboy Gajo
6th March 2002, 01:54 PM
Yes I was surprised Anna did not find that arcade in New York where the Wipeout arcade machine is. She was so close, yet so far.

vincoof
6th March 2002, 11:01 PM
Oh well :

Wipeout 2097 Arcade http://pub4.ezboard.com/fwip3outpilotsassociationbbswipeoutxl2097.showMess age?topicID=40.topic
posted 10/31/01 1:33:15am

Wipeout 2097 Arcade
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fwip3outpilotsassociationbbswipeoutxl2097.showMess age?topicID=42.topic
posted 10/31/01 1:36:47am

AmigoJack
7th March 2002, 03:33 PM
on F9000 bbs http://www.wipeoutfusion.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001035.html

vh5150
25th March 2002, 11:05 PM
That was me a while ago that saw that game and played it. I will try and go down there to see and hopefully take some pics to post them here. I will probably go by the end of april.

JABBERJAW
26th March 2002, 01:22 AM
What does it have for a controller?

vh5150
26th March 2002, 02:24 AM
From what I remember a flight stick for pitch/yaw/roll and a lever for speed. The brakes were two pedals. Hard to remember I was knocked around in that thing. So playing it made it hard. You gotta realize that New Yorker arcades cheat the sucker *ahem* customer.

FishDK
29th March 2002, 03:44 PM
I played a WO2097 arcade machine in SEGA-World in London. I remember that the controls were kinda akward but i got used to it fast. The only thing was the fps. It lagged like and old 386 but being used to the tracks I steered through on a 1st place...didn't get any more tracks though and had to pay pr tracks raced. That kinda defeats the conzept of arcade doesn't it?

<>< F I S H ><>

vh5150
17th November 2002, 05:09 PM
From what I remember a flight stick for pitch/yaw/roll and a lever for speed. The brakes were two pedals. Hard to remember I was knocked around in that thing. So playing it made it hard. You gotta realize that New Yorker arcades cheat the sucker *ahem* customer.

I never did get to go to Times Square. I am sorry to those that were looking forward for pictures.

FishDK
17th November 2002, 05:33 PM
omg - this topic is a year old I think *lol*
I was kinda puzzled when I opened my mailbox and found the reply from wipeoutzone since it's been a while since I was here

But yeah - it's a shame you din't get to go there and take pics...oh well :)
<>< F I S H ><>

Lance
17th November 2002, 07:11 PM
''it's been a while since I was here''

that's a strong candidate for Understatement of the Year
:)

Mano
18th November 2002, 01:32 AM
i just started some research on this, and came to the fact that the arcade cabinet was a pc fitted with a 3dfx card (dunno what card yet), but if this is true, and someone posted about having a fast pc, a voodoo2 card and getting correct speed , then the overspeed problem may truly be on a vid card issue instead of pc speed so someone with a 3dfx card please try the pc version on it, or at least try the demo that is still downloadable from pcworlds site and gamespot if i am correct.

The ones that definitely got to have this version running correct on pc, should look if this works, voodoo cards are extremely cheap and you may get a used one as cheap as 10 bucks or something and since voodoo original and voodoo2 can run separately from the primary videocard this would fit perfectly.

edit*made a mistake on the previos opengl-glide statement, the game used d3d as rendering engine

I am also looking for pics on this cabinet if someone can lead me to them would be nice (i would really love to try one of those).

edit2*found 1 pic yet:

http://www.videojuegosamazing.com/2001.htm

edit3*got to the source of this and it seems the companys site is down, but a couple more pics (brochure ones):

http://www.highwaygames.com/body.php3?action=mach_view&machine_id=2083

AmigoJack
18th November 2002, 01:07 PM
wow - thx for the pics

...and for making sure: i still have a voodoo² acceleration card (bought original when it was popular) in my old PII400 tower standing around here and woxl definitly runs too fast.

Mano
18th November 2002, 02:53 PM
oh ok then, i guess sony couldnt be troubled to release a patch to solve the speed issue ...

I would like to see some pics that show the inside of the pod, the controls and the screen...if someone has pics of this please post :D

DJ Techno
19th November 2002, 05:40 PM
When Wipeout XL came out, a couple years later, I heard about a slightly like, but different machine, where you could play WOXL like it was in the arcade.

Does anybody remember a thing like that broadcasted.
the price tag for it, was over $500 maybe $800 dollars.

spooky
22nd November 2002, 12:30 PM
LOL!! Thats the first time I've seen it in ages - I designed that machine. I can only apologize for the PC conversion inside the machine.

Funnily enough the brief I was given was to make it look nothing like a wipeout ship (I think they wanted to use it for other machines)

I'll dig out some of my concept renders if I can find them.

Lee

DJ Techno
22nd November 2002, 01:47 PM
lol, dude you don't have to apologize, I think what you did was the smartest and coolest thing anybody could do. I mean not many people go out and design a machine and have it come out looking like it is today. Hard work paid off.
If you know where I can get a machine, here in the states, in good condition, and playable.
let me know.
Spectra_Racing@hotmail.com
Mike

Nathan Adams
28th November 2002, 02:40 PM
the version we had in our arcade looked different
it was just like one of those "simulator" machines - with a hole cut into the right side so you could get in and out. very boxy. It then had a stand on the side, with a small crt mounted into it, so spectators could watch, a coin slot, and presumabely the pc inside too.

although I forgive them for getting the boxy one (but not for getting rid of it), because they've had some other cool machines too. Just recently, they ripped their Dance Dance Revolution MAX 2 machine apart, and rebuilt it in the back corner - complete with a massive wall size screen, surround sound, and full setup around the dance pads. F**king awesome.

vh5150
27th January 2003, 06:08 AM
I was in Times Square last night and was looking for the arcade that had the machine cabinet I had earlier posted about. I actually went to the Virgin Megastore and decided to look for the arcade on the way to the subway.
It seems to me that I was looking down the wrong block at 45th Street when the arcade is on 46th. I have a D8 camera now so I will take it with me and find that machine in its working glory.
I also found a promo card coupon for the store and both the phone and url listed came up dead ends. But just in case I am sure it probably is in the area in some other incarnation of the same store or another arcade. Time will tell since the area is in a constant state of flux. There have been so many changes in the district since I first mentioned seeing this machine. So the only thing I can probably do is some sleuthing online if nothing pans out. Or maybe a few landline contacts too.