PDA

View Full Version : a reminder about the famous ''Piranha switch''

Lance
29th October 2004, 05:12 PM
just a reminder to keep that idea simmering and hopefully advancing to fully-cooked. some of us would still like to enter both Qirex League [everything but Piranha] and Piranha times in the WO2 records.

to our newer members from the NTSC region who wonder why there are almost no Piranha times listed in the XL records except in Phantom class, currently we have a Qirex League, a group of us who only enter non-Piranha times on the records tables. why? because Qirex is so much more fun. especially in the classes below Phantom. so if we want to have fun, but still have hot competition, we needed a Qirex league. this idea was originated by our member, Task [Jay West], to whom i give much thanks for the fun generated as a result

G'Kyl
30th October 2004, 11:10 AM
No fair, Lance, the Qirex is fun, ESPECIALLY in Phantom! ;-) Seriously though, managing a number of perfect laps with a ship that hardly turns at all is satisfying in a way no other craft can offer. :)

Anyways, I too support the seperation in the tables, especially since I did some recent laps in 2097 on a Piranha in order to get a feel for it. However, I would hate to lose my Qirex times.

Ben

finnclipp
24th November 2004, 07:45 AM
Hows about another record chart for pirhana only? and make th other one pirhana free? I like the sound of that, I just can't keep up with a pirhana in my personal favorite, Auricom. And I have room on my memory card for another savegame.

A perfect lap is very satisfying, especially in somthing corner heavy.

infoxicated
24th November 2004, 09:18 AM
I will sort something out, I promise, but I cant make any guarantees on delivery time.

Lance
5th July 2005, 08:07 PM
bumpity bumpity :)

AG-wolf
17th July 2008, 02:12 PM
Two-Year bump here because I'm nearly done with my Qirex Phantom time trials and people keep asking me about Pirahna. I'm curious to see what I'm capable of.

also, would it ever be possible to have a "Comment" section in the time tables? like, when you upload a record, you could type whether or not you used shortcuts and stuff like that.

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, although it shouldn't make any difference. Shortcutting has been deemed as a valid, legal skill by the community. Except for WipEout original where there are invisible walls everywhere, Wip3out where I have yet to do the hotel shortcut at Porto Kora, and any game after WO3 where there are actually solid buildings and lanscape structures... ;)

AG-wolf
18th July 2008, 04:10 AM
I think the Porto Kora shortcut only works on 3SE... at the tournament at Al's place in April, he showed a lot of the physics differences in WO3us, WO3pal, WO3SE, WO3jap. The US one is pretty straightforward, ships don't "fly" so easilly like that shortcut on PK, Pal I think was kinda the same, but in 3SE all the ships seem to float much higher and longer, and in stark contrast the japanese version feels like the ships are weighted down heavilly.

Task
18th July 2008, 05:23 PM
I think the best way to implement a "Piranha switch" would be via the existing (and well working!) "Filter" dropdown on the records tables.
Currently it's: Unique, All, <each ship>
Which gives one of: Best time per pilot, all times, best time per ship.
So if we add into the dropdown: NOT <each ship>, then we get not just a "Piranha switch" in XL but also a "Triakis switch" in Pure. Pretty nifty, eh?

Just in case you're not following my boolean logic, since the "<each ship>" selection shows all records for the chosen craft, a "NOT <each ship>" selection would show all records that _aren't_ the chosen craft.

So in the WOXL tables, "NOT Piranha" would show the Qirex league in all its glory, and in the Pure tables "NOT Triakis" would show, uh, the not broken league.

Ta-da!

Now all we need is for Foxy to have some time on his hands. 8 )

AG-wolf
18th July 2008, 05:27 PM
I've been entering Qirex times as I do my videos and stuff, can I also enter Auricom times if I should happen to best my Qirex ones? Would it leave both entries in the tables with the same name under different ships, or would one replace the other?

Task
18th July 2008, 05:32 PM
You can have one time per ship.
Use the "all" filter option and you'll see a couple places where people really _have_ tried all the ships!
One example might be Al and his Vertica Phantom TT experiment:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/records.php?game_id=13&mode_id=2&track_id=86&filter=all&type_id=2&limit=50&action=display_records&sub_action=&x=11&y=71

Asayyeah
18th July 2008, 07:19 PM
Incredible sandwich here ( 1.32.35, 1.32.36, 1.32.37 !! )

Mike , how does that feel to be the sausage of Al's hotdog?
:paperbag
Ok i know where the door is ...
;)