PDA

View Full Version : Official PSP price, details and launch games (japan)

Makai
27th October 2004, 11:35 AM
http://game-science.com/news/000815.html

Sony Computer Entertainment today announced full details for the launch of the PlayStation Portable (PSP-1000). The hardware will go on sale in Japan on 12 December. The standalone model will retail for 20,790 yen, and includes a battery and AC adaptor. Available separately will be a 32MB Memory Stick Duo for 2940 yen, AC adaptor for 3675 yen, spare battery pack for 5040 yen, headphones with remote control for 2940 yen and a soft case with hand strap for 2100 yen. A value pack will go on sale the same day for 26,040 yen which includes the PSP, AC adaptor, battery pack, Memory Stick Duo, headphones and soft case.

The software line-up for December has also been announced, though exact details of pricing and dates are not known.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour - EA
Need for Speed Underground Rivals - EA
Vampire Chronicles The Chaos Tower - Capcom
Shin Sangoku Musou - Koei
Mah Jong Taikai - Koei
Mah Jong Fighting Club - Konami
Metal Gear Acid - Konami
Kollon - CyberFront
Puyo Puyo Fever - Sega
Dokodemo Issho - SCE
Minna no Golf Portable - SCE
Puzzle Bobble Pocket - Taito
Word Puzzle Mojipittan - Namco
Ridge Racers - Namco
The Tower of Purgatory - Hudson
Gagharv Trilogy: White witch - Bandai
Lumines - Bandai
Armored Core Formula Front - From Software
AI Igo - Marvellous Interactive
AI Shogi - Marvellous Interactive
AI Mah Jong - Marvellous Interactive

There's no W'O'' info yet :( But psp's price seem to be very competitive.

pd.my english sucks, i know xd

The Boye
27th October 2004, 02:02 PM
£97 8O

Shem
27th October 2004, 02:40 PM
Lance to the rescue!!! :!:

[tell The Boye about WZ's policy about posting images on the forums]
:wink:

Rapier Racer
27th October 2004, 02:41 PM
what? it can't £97 for all that gear, this is sony here surely thats incorrect.

The Boye
27th October 2004, 02:47 PM
what? it can't £97 for all that gear, this is sony here surely thats incorrect.

The base unit is £97. But still... 8O.

I was expecting this to be at least near the £200 mark.

Piranha Advancements
27th October 2004, 02:54 PM
Man..I hate the launch games.

Rapier Racer
27th October 2004, 02:57 PM
yeah well that may be the japs price but here in rp off britain it will probably cost more

Dogg Thang
27th October 2004, 05:46 PM
The battery life to me seems a serious problem. 4-6 hours under their test conditions, which includes listening to the sound at only half volume among others. Having to stop gameplay every 4 hours (maybe more, maybe less - Sony have previously 'overestimated' their features before release) would be a real slap in the face when you're in the middle of a Wipeout marathon.

And, yes, I agree that the launch games don't seem all that inspiring. Still, unless Wipeout Pure takes a step in Fusion's direction or beyond, I'll have no choice but to buy one. Here's hoping that Sony deliver a better battery pretty quickly.

Dogg.

Dimension
27th October 2004, 11:09 PM
£100 is pretty good, a lot less than expected. True though, at the moment I can only really see Rige Racer that I like, maybe there'll be some better ones when it finally gets over here :)

piranha wiper
27th October 2004, 11:39 PM
is that £97 business with all the cables memory card and what not, or is it just the console it self?

Hellfire_WZ
28th October 2004, 08:35 AM
Looks lke the stand-alone unit is around £107, and the value pack is about £134. I think we can expect those to be ramped up for the release over here. I heard about the battery issues quite a while ago, sounds like the same issue the GameGear had all those years ago. At least it's rechargeable, I lost count of the number of batteries I went through on my GBA.

The only release title that appeals to me is Armored Core, and maybe NFS. I'll be waiting for Wipeout Pure before I buy I think.

infoxicated
28th October 2004, 09:39 AM
I imagine it'll end up at around £200 by the time we see it, and that'll be for the base console. I think that's fair enough - my girlfriend paid £400 for my palm pilot three years back and it doesn't do half the stuff the PSP will.

If there's Wipeout, Gran Tourismo, Ace Combat & Madden then I'm completely sold on the idea. I might even move further away so I have to get the train to work to give me more playing time! :lol:

Battery life is a bit of a concern - it used to be a pain in the ass when I used my Lynx regularly - three sets of six AA rechargables I had on the go, rotating them daily. I don't think it'll be too bad with the PSP - if it does four to six hours then that's fine by me. If I'm playing it for any longer then I imagine I'll be somewhere near a power point for recharge. :)

Rapier Racer
28th October 2004, 02:14 PM
I don't mind that battery life but I'm not paying £200 for a handlheld, just can't get used to screen size reduction :(

Dimension
28th October 2004, 03:26 PM
well if the rechargable battery has only 4-6 hours battery life, you'll be recharging a lot. The problem here is more obvious than with the SP in that in this case you'll be recharging maybe once or even twice a day if you're really going at Pure or another game and as most know, rechargable batteries lose battery life every time you recharge them, give it a year and it'll not last very long at all per charge, 2 hours at the most, maybe less as time gets further on :o

Thruster2097
2nd November 2004, 08:45 PM
Its good to see Lumnies (sp?) being sold as a release title. It always has been Sony tradition to launch a console with one or two AAA-rate titles, and one off-the-wall crazy jap import (fantavision, anyone? :wink: )

The low battery life does concern me a bit, but hopefully I will never be away from some sort of power point for more than an hour. What it needs is a wind-up handle on the back. Like a wind up radio, but this time it's worth the effort. Anyway, thats a project for the budding Trevor Baylisses (or baylii, or bayliss'sss's :? ) out there.

Dissapointed not to see GT4 and WipEout Pure on the release list.

For the UK release, I am hoping for GT4psp, WipEoutPure, Lumnies and Ridge Racer. Regardless of what the x-box-o-philes and moronic editors of gaming magazines suggest, I still want a PSP. It is quite simply going to be the best handheld console to date. None of this multi-functional tosh that gadgeteers call the "in" thing, y'know, like the N-Gage, or that Gizmondo thingie, ot the abomonation of the 00's... the alarm clock radio, with a CD player, and a black & white TV! WHY????? :x :x
This is simple. It is a very high quality, handheld gaming system. If customers really must have an in-built GPS finder, they can buy something else. Or they could buy a map?

xEik
3rd November 2004, 07:54 AM
I'm concerned with maps' battery life. I never managed to find where the damned batteries are and as soon as they run out, I'll be doomed (and lost). :P

Thruster2097
3rd November 2004, 06:33 PM
:lol: :lol:

yawnstretch
8th December 2004, 08:04 PM
So anyone getting a PSP early? Im trying to get one and a copy of RidgeRacers which looks to be decent enough.

Out in Japan this Sunday!

Rapier Racer
8th December 2004, 08:20 PM
how come we have to wait so damn long for it over here?

yawnstretch
8th December 2004, 09:10 PM
it always takes that long! Man I hope I get one before Christmas! (or very early in jan) Im prebooked for one since August 16th - ill let ye know what its like if I get lucky

G'Kyl
8th December 2004, 09:52 PM
How is it, do I have to be able to understand Japanese if I play on a nippon PSP? Do language settings depend on the chip or on games alone? Unfortuanately, I'm not familiar with the entire console-import-thingy...

Ben

infoxicated
8th December 2004, 09:59 PM
You can switch the language to english on a japanese one.

There's lots of info here: http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3545

Movies, images... step by step from start-up... that kind of thing.

jospicy
9th December 2004, 09:27 AM
apparently there are no regions on the PSP meaning you can buy a jap one cheap then get the english game and play them don't quote me on this but i'm off to check my facts!

G'Kyl
9th December 2004, 10:32 AM
Hm, usually I don't want to ask these kinds of questions, but where are the videos on the Lik-Sang page? :) I'm too stupid to find any...

jospicy: Yep, I recall Rob saying the same about codefreeness. :)

Ben

Dimension
10th December 2004, 01:08 AM
I would expect that would be right, i don't recall any past handhelds being region specific, there's no point, what with no use of a TV or electrics etc.

infoxicated
10th December 2004, 09:04 AM
Hm, usually I don't want to ask these kinds of questions, but where are the videos on the Lik-Sang page? :) I'm too stupid to find any...

Sorry - I was thinking of here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-74-ox.html when I posted that link. :oops:

Rapier Racer
10th December 2004, 09:27 AM
Nice pics and videos, lol I can't help laughing at those pics of the PSP wrapped in cardboard, why post those? :) Games sharing, does that mean playing someone else over the erm... whatever network/system it uses?

G'Kyl
10th December 2004, 10:33 AM
That's better. :) Thanks! First time I saw the PSP "in motion". I think I love the style of the PSP and what can be seen from those first games. Funny, I wasn't hyped at first. Now I am. Usually it's the other way around. Hopefully I can afford that thing sometime soon. And I'm hoping even more for a fast WOP release..!

Rapier Racer
6th January 2005, 09:00 PM
amazon.co.uk have the PSP listed for £179.99 bit more than what the japs paid eh?

Rapier Racer
4th February 2005, 04:05 PM
I read in a review not to expect GTA on the PSP that review was wrong!!!!!!! Apparently we will have a PSP GTA set for release on UK launch day!! Now then, the battery will probably only last 35 minutes but still :D :D hopefully this info is correct so there will be two game worth buying