PDA

View Full Version : Greatest WipEout?

Mad_Capsule
6th March 2002, 09:48 AM
Personally, I think XL/2097 is the best incarnation of the games. Graphically of course, it's unsuperior, but in terms of sheer playability, it wins hands down every time!

Also, I prefer the PS version, over the PC. It just seems wrong on the pc, dont you think??

*MC*

Lance
6th March 2002, 11:29 AM
it seems a little stiff on the pc, but i still like the experience. love the hi-res view and the great sensation of ''being there''.

Hyper Shadow
6th March 2002, 11:42 AM
I loved the whole 2097 package. The menus were superb and the challenges were, well, challenges. I would say it is near the top, but I have no clear cut favorite WipEout game.

jmoid
6th March 2002, 12:54 PM
i'll always have a soft spot for 2097. when i first played the demo it just seemed like everything i'd ever wanted in a videogame.

i love w3 & fusion, but i truly think 2097 is a work of art.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jmoid on 2002-03-06 13:54 ]</font>

Confusion
6th March 2002, 02:50 PM
2097/XL is smeggin' good fun, would have been much more fun with analogue support (yeah I know about NeGCon, but I don't have that luxery).

I still have my Amiga 600 and the Voice synthesiser so I can do all the voices and stuff. :smile:

Wipeout 3's Eliminator is by far the best mode in any of the Wipeout's though.

Anastasia
9th March 2002, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the eliminator mode in wip3out. I wish they'd included it in Fusion.

Still, 2097 was awesome! I loved the vapour trails and wing tip trails, the rain on Gare D-Europa, and the twizzly launch fx of the rockets and missiles. Very swish!

Ana :smile:

Asche XL
14th March 2002, 01:14 AM
Without playing Fusion ( because it didnt come out yet) XL is the best, altho 3 is awesome and #1 is almost unplayabe, lol, XL is king and awesome soundtrk, i wonder what fusion will b like and iw ish i had that negcon thingy

Task
14th March 2002, 03:38 AM
#1 Unplayable?!?
I just finished Racing around Korodera at Rapier speeds, and the amount of effort it took to do so is the main claim to fame of WO1. Still, I did it. 3 laps, in less than 3 minutes. WO1 takes more concentration than any of the others, but it's far from unplayable. It's been a while since I played WOXL, but I'll keep going back to WO1 because of the difficulty.

stin
25th March 2002, 10:16 PM
It took me two years to complete this game and it was awesome and I MEAN ITS AWESOME!! worth every minute of it! The music, game, graphics,ect,ect; To me it was PERFECTION!.
Remember it was UNIQUE! The one and for all!!
Don`t you agree? anyone??
SH

Anastasia
30th March 2002, 01:58 PM
Yes, Stindah - I agree with you.

I too, took ages to complete 2097. I managed to get the classes up to phantom done quite soon but those last too: Spilskinanke and Vostok Island took one hell of a lot of practice. I came back to them only last year and finally clinched the gold in phantom class - that felt good :D

Ana

Jay
2nd April 2002, 07:08 PM
Gosh, now that's bringing back memories! Spilskinake, with those 90-degree bends! Ouch. Vostok Island redefined a blastfest, with its eye-blistering speed. Yes, I almost forgot how much of an excellent exhilarating experience 2097 was!

Sparta(Assegai)
25th June 2002, 06:14 AM
i have to think that 3 is the better against Xl.. sorry.. but maybe thats just cause i had it first, maybe its cause of the awesome interface i love so much... or maybe because every song for it is sooo good.. the only song i like on XL is "Firestarter" which is probably the second best song from every wipeout ever.. after "Xpander".. sorry

infoxicated
25th June 2002, 10:12 AM
I'm with the new guy on this one - I can appreciate that XL/2097 was seminal for its time, but as I owned Wipeout 3 first, I just cant get to grips with a lack of analogue control and the blocky low-res graphics.

Maybe if I could use the dual shock sticks then I'd come to love the game more, but every time I'm crawling around with an aching thumb, I start to think "Hmmm - could be doing this track on Wipeout 3 SE with better graphics and the analogue sticks..." and my motivation dies away.

Still, if we're talking low-res then it ranks above the original. When Thrusty came to visit me some time back and introduced me to Wipeout 1, man - I couldn't believe the series had become so popular it was sooooo hard! :)

Every now and then I drag the older games out, just to keep the vibe alive... and although I can tollerate 2097 for a while, the original has me running for the safety of Wipeout 3 SE :)

Lance
25th June 2002, 08:24 PM
blocky graphics? on the psx? ah, i never knew. the only version of XL/2097 that i've played is on the PC, where all of the graphics look really good in accelerator board mode. 3 of the ships look particularly fine, Feisar, AG-S and Piranha. the visual style of XL on the pc, though it isnt blocky, is more like an animation instead of leaning toward the realism as wo3 does. but it's a look i like. it's a bit of a tossup for me on preferred visual style but i tend to get more involved in the racing with wo3 because of the more realistic look.
this is partly a handling issue; wo3 wins completely on that, greater pitch control, and the ships respond to aerodynamic forces as they would in real life. XL almost ignores aerodynamics in pitch, though i think there is some feel for it when banking in corners. generally XL feels rather like driving a dodgem car several feet off the ground.

[Rob, i don't like the analogue joysticks of the Sony style controllers when playing wipeout, they seem too tall and too slow in response; if they were like the Dreamcast stick, it might work for me.]

overall, there is no doubt for me that i prefer wo3 to the first 2 games.

[um.. shouldn't this topic have been in the pilot's lounge forum? while it is predicated on the topic starter's preference for XL, it's a discussion of best wipeout game rather than being a specific XL topic. since it's about wipeout preferences, it would be better in the pilot's lounge instead of general discussion.]

zargz
26th June 2002, 02:51 AM
wo3se - wo3 trax, 8 from 1&2, the jap ovals, 2-4PLAYERS mode!!
only thing that sux is the thrust - takes away the significance of the acceleration of the craft
And helps cheaterz jump over corners - skip big parts of the trax!

so .. overal the best! 8)

FoxZero
26th June 2002, 05:11 PM
having followed wipeout since the original, it took me a while to get into xl when it came out. for a long time i was against it because the ships exploded which i figured was kind of cheezy and took away from racing as the focus of the game. however once i had a bit of time to get into it i was hooked very quickly. i was the same way with 3, very hesitant at first but then incredibly satisfied. although i think 3 is much better than xl.

TYSON
15th July 2002, 01:32 PM
Hands down I think you said. That's it. I also saw perfection used somewhere. Absolutely.

Whether it was by sheer fluke or just the fact that all the programers were awake, Wipeout 2097 to date is still the true representation of AG racing. Everything about it was so flawless.... interface, sound effects (voices etc and in game), the killer sound track, and YES graphics (don't know what some of you are talking about there). (sure not compared to Fusion). And of course the blinding gameplay.

Lance
15th July 2002, 05:49 PM
Tyson, hi. welcome to the forums. if you want to, introduce yourself in ''the Pilot's Lounge'', tell us how you started playing wipeout, found the wipeoutzone site, etc.

enjoy the place.

___lance

JABBERJAW
16th July 2002, 12:41 AM
1:48.3 on time trial

Spaceboy Gajo
16th July 2002, 02:40 AM
Nothing wowed me more than XL. Played the original, then heard about the sequel and was not that excited all that much for three.

Everything about XL seemed that they fixed a lot of the beefs I had about the original.

i was against it because the ships exploded

For me this was the coolest feature in XL. It was jaw dropping. A logical step.

The only thing jaw dropping in Wip3out was energy drain and just sucking them into elimination.

Harvai
7th November 2002, 07:10 AM
W"O"2097 iz da bomb!
spilskinake rocks, pity you can't get it on vector.
does anybody know where to get the soundtrack?

the best part is the "CONTENDER ELIMINATED" voiceover
ROCK ON!

fusionfrenzy
8th November 2002, 01:45 PM
yeah, I like the contender eliminated voice aswell-glad they brought it back in fusion, But if they combined the soundtrack of 2097 with the Aerodynamics of WO3 and the graphics of Fusion, you'd have the best AG game ever! :D (plus it would have to have Curly there somewhere-3-2-1-goooooooooo!) I just loved that voice!

DJ Techno
8th November 2002, 02:48 PM
Curly is going to remain as the flagman of every wipeout race

he's the coolest mascot
But, Dr. Angryman and Lady, I thought you would see more of them, at least, a little more.

Vasudeva
9th November 2002, 10:53 AM
Dr. Angryman is my favourite.

And actually I believe that gameplay-wise W3SE is the best incarnation. But nothing can beat the atmosphere of the first two installments. Nostalgia for the future!

V.

Nathan Adams
10th November 2002, 07:01 AM
btw - it's not Doctor Angryman - DR is sure for designers republic ;) (remember, he's their logo)

I can't understand why people insist on saying 2097's graphics are better than wo3's. I would be more inclined to say these are opinions on art direction....
Which is the main difference between the 2097 tracks in 2097, and in wo3se. wo3se adapted the tracks, and mostly, modified them to suit wo3's art direction (although in a less polished way). For some this works - particularly the wo1 track, but I was still dissapointed with gare de europa - and as such I prefer racing that specific track in 2097. the rest though, I'll happily play in WO3 - as I like my WO3 mechanics, analog control, overall style, and that incarnation of auricom :)

Asche XL
10th November 2002, 02:48 PM
Wipeout XL hands down.

gbit
30th January 2003, 01:27 AM
The first wipeout game I played was the demo of Wipeout 2097. It featured one track (Gare D' Europa) and all of the teams. I still remember the day I achieved first place with the Qirex ship. One may think that a demo with one track will have limited playability, but the relatively steep learning curve that wipeout presents demands perfection from the player, and I think that is what makes it such a brilliant game. After searching for the full game for 5 years, I found the Dice Games release, and bought it the moment I set eyes on it. Unfortunately the game works far too fast to be playable, so it is sitting on my desk, not doing much. Although I have played the full game, it wasn't on my computer, but was on my cousin's pentium II 233Mhz. I think that Wipeout 2097 is the best wipeout released.

This, as all, is IMHO.

Thank you.

Roxxy_Velveteen
17th February 2003, 04:15 AM
i've owned 2097 for about 4 years now and it is the one game that i keep going back to. i've played wo3 but there was just a whole different feeling about it. sure the graphics were great, and the handling, and the music, but it just felt isolated. what i loved the most about 2097 was the sense that you were in a whole different world, what with the settings of the tracks, all the mascots, the crowds, even the weather, and the music just sets the mood so well. i was not just racing to beat the game, i was racing to please the crowd and achieve glory in victory. it's easy to imagine getting off the track and actually living in the world 2097 is set in, and that's what i love most about this game. wo3 couldn't really compare to that in my opinion, it felt like just a game. i'm not saying that 2097 is graphically or technically superior to its sequel, but it's just got more personality and that's what's more appealing about it.

DJ Techno
17th February 2003, 06:01 AM
Hey how you doing roxxy;)
How are those New Zealand All Black's doing in Rugby?'

I didn't buy my copy of Wipeout XL till after Wipeout 3. Back then I didn't even though there was a 2097, but I did know about Wipeout 64. How similiar 2097 and 64 were, except for the tracks and people who made the game.

Wipeout 3 didn't have all that I was hoping I would expect after I was done playing it. Then purchased Wipeout 2097 and then I said "hey, this is better" :)