PDA

View Full Version : g-surfers

jmoid
5th March 2002, 05:09 PM
has anyone played this game? it's a wipeout-a-like i've seen in shops... with a track editor!

Hyper Shadow
5th March 2002, 06:24 PM
I caught the demo of this one. I thought that it was a very average game. The ships looked flat, the screen displayed jerky motion rather than smooth speed. Yet overall it wasn't that bad, as I usually say, a demo dosn't give the full picture of the game, and perhaps I would say try before you buy (it is only £29.99).

The track editor is the one they used to create the tracks in the game. So there shouldn't be anything stopping a good designer creating a track that would fit alongside the actual game tracks (rather than the THPS series where the Editor parks were obvious and bland) but being the one that they used in the game, it would probably take a degree to use it properly.

Wamdue
5th March 2002, 08:04 PM
Is G-surfers one of the platinum releases or?

Hyper Shadow
5th March 2002, 09:06 PM
No, no G-Surfers was out a fortnight before Fusion.

The Platinum releases so far are:

-Tekken Tag
-GT3
-F1 2001
-DOA2:Hardcore
-Red Faction
with
-Timesplitters
-Kessen
and a couple of others apperaing this week

infoxicated
5th March 2002, 09:53 PM
I read that G-Surfers was crap. I seen a very very early version at ECTS 2000 and it seemed way ambitious then.

GT3 went straight in at No.3 in the charts this week due to its platinum status (knocking Fusion to No. 4). Might pick it up for that. £20 isn't so bad, even for a game with the worst AI in a driving game, ever... although now that I've played Fusion I might find it too dull.

Wiseman
6th March 2002, 04:54 AM
All we have on our list (our version of the "platnium" that is) is Twisted Metal: Black, ATV Offroad Fury, GT3, and Dark Cloud.

I'll probably pick up GT3 as well, along with ATV.

Hyper Shadow
6th March 2002, 09:29 AM
I might have to pick up a copy of Dark Cloud, that demo really appealed to me. Something was really catchy with the god sim/RPG fusion (sic).

jmoid
6th March 2002, 12:46 PM
my first impression was that if they've squeezed 30 tracks and a track editor, that can't have left much room for gameplay...

try before you buy - i think i will.

Lance
6th March 2002, 03:16 PM
is that on a CD or a DVD?

speaking of which, how big a percentage of PS2 games are on DVD?

Hyper Shadow
6th March 2002, 04:21 PM
100% I think, the blue disc is just a dye introduced in the manufacturing process.

Wamdue
6th March 2002, 08:04 PM
Im not sure, I was talking to a freind that has chipped his ps2, I asked him why he didnt download MGS2 or something like that if he could get any game he wanted, he told me that MGS2 was on dvd and much harder to rip and etc. So im not sure every ps2 game is dvd media. But I dont know

Wiseman
7th March 2002, 04:49 AM
I know that both ICO and Ridge Racer 5 are on CD, anything with a blue back is a CD, the DVD's are always gray with the PS logo "holographicized"(I doubt that's a word) into them.

Confusion
7th March 2002, 03:36 PM
Yeah it says so in the manual (you'd be suprised how many people simply rip open the box and play).

TimeSplitters and Crash Bandicoot 4 are on the blue disc CD's.

I'm sure you can by CDR blanks that are blue too. I mean you can buy black CDR's so why not blue ones?

Thruster2097
12th March 2002, 09:22 AM
you can buy blue cd-r (and black, silver, red, even gold ones) at any computer fair.
I am not too sure about this one, here's my experience.
I take a blue PS2 disc (Smugglers Run) and a silver DVD PS2 disc (WipEout Fusion) and a Sega Dreamcast disc (Sonic Adventure 2).
I also have a PC which has a cd-rom drive.

The two PS2 discs cannot be read, however, the dreamcast disc CAN be read. So, the blue PS2 disc is NOT cd-r.
I can read all three discs using my dvd-rom, so this means that the blue disc must be dvd compatible to some extent.

My guess is that the blue disc is sonys version of segas gigadisc for the dreamcast, only now more advanced, and probably holds about 1.6GB, whereas a standard DVD disc has a capacity of 2.1GB (or something similar)

Anyway (back to topic)
when I done my fusion pre-release report for SCEE, I was asked about WipEouts' adversaries, XGIII and Gsurfers. I will tell you roughly the seme as what I told them.
" I got XGIII from its release, and I still have it. It has provided me with a few hours of entertainment, but at heart, I am still a WipEout fan. Sure, it has weapons, fast moving vehicles, dimly-lit futuristic locations, and a up-tempo soundtrack. But once you play it, you can see that they have tried to mimic everything that made WipEout original at its release back in '95. As I said, I still have it, and I do occasionaly whizz around the oceania track, the scenery and the environment really displays what can be done with a computer game. G-surfers, however, I owned it for exactly 20 hours. Bought it friday evening, tok it straight back on the saturday. A horrible, disgusting game which is a prime example of how bad a game can look, and feel. Put it this way, I dont recognise a game which doesnt even recognise England as a land mass. If we were living life according to g-surfers' track editor, we would just be a coral reef to the north-west of france."

JABBERJAW
12th March 2002, 10:31 PM
I don't think england exists in that time period because the US dropped an A-bomb on you guys when you tried to reclaim the US' original 13 colonies claiming you had been here first or something like that. I think this came about 30 years after afghanistan and Iraq became parking lots.

zargz
25th April 2004, 02:49 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had the game 2weeks now. 1st thing i did - build a track! Exellent editor!!! :o :o :o
@1st found the trax difficult & some leagues almost impossible :evil: so i continued building.
most of the features of the editor r locked & u have2 beat the different leagues 2 unlock them
so i beated the last (they r 5 all2gether) 2-3 days ago unlocking the last track edit tutorial.
as al said b4 somewhere else: the game looks like wo & feels(a bit) like f-zero.
never liked f-zero too much but this i got used to pretty quick (couple'f days) stil dont like
that u slide away if u turn too tight at high speed but hey thats pretty 'realistic' :D

I got Only 1 thing to say about g-surfers i really dont like - if u stop on the highest point of a loop
u dont fall down back to mother earth. thats it! :o

Guess the game got to me coz i'm a sucker 4 editors :D i've done trax with all psx games i found an editor on -
motoracer, rallycross(2 i think it was), tenchu2!!! and now the Mother of All Editors as we know them :wink: ---> G-surfers !!
btw i even got a mem'card ful of tunes i made in music2000! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 good thing is the ai is hard to beat - to beat a league(consists of 6 trax) u have2 get @least 3rd @ end'f a seasson
and thats what i did in all of them (in 1 i had 3 points to nr4!!! :o :o )

ships look great to me.
the music is not wo-quality (if u can say that) but the tekno does it's work
Bsides i allways turn the music as low as i can. sound of engines and boost is great too.

there r no weapons. u can drive/fly over speedups and pick up life or boosts (pickups :roll: :D )
u can also put sand snow or water on the trax, make forks, humogous jumps, take away the barriers of track
so u fall out, pick a time of the day 4race, put tons of buildings arround, pick a place in the world map
where to build u track (the uk is a big swamp :D ) and so on 8)

to build a track is ez left right on the d-pad makes the track turn, updown the amount of degrees it's gon
tilt up or down,L2 R2 the banking of the track that's it - the sky is the limit! :P

i've done 2 leagues = 12 trax ! :o :o
i did the trax as difficuls as i can only get 2nd or 3rd on each, rarely 1st! 8)

i'll b needing a dex driver soon to upload them and all other stuff i made also some wo3se tt ghosts.

so imho it's a grEAt game!
go buy it then we'll race eachothers trax!!!

I'm gon record a tape with my trax i think and i also got a grEAt bug fr wo3se recorded
in the beginnig of a tape. hmm .. am gon use that1!

ANYone here in europE who got the tools 2convert it so we can see on the net?
from a normal video tape (PAL) ??
I'll send u the tape!

ok. enuff!

over & out 8)

yuusen
26th April 2004, 10:23 PM

christ, not again! why dont google just stick to what they know and make good search engines!? ;)

¥

zargz
30th April 2004, 12:50 PM
:o :o ???

infoxicated
30th April 2004, 02:05 PM
christ, not again! why dont google just stick to what they know and make good search engines!? ;)

:-?

Lance
30th April 2004, 02:35 PM
Google-Surfers?

yuusen
1st May 2004, 12:16 PM

lance has hit the nail on the head.

i admit that the comment was neither genuinely relevant nor constructive but i could not resist it, taking into consideration the amount of general controversy currently surrounding the expansion of scope of google's services — gmail (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1285).

i like google and use it every day. the comment was not intended as a troll or flame or any other kind of dungeons and dragons-esque maneuver.

sorry for the minor confusion everyone. :)

¥

lunar
1st May 2004, 08:12 PM
Zargz - I can convert video tape to mpeg etc, but I can`t put stuff on the internet. If you want me to convert some bits of tape to MPEG and return them on CD I will be happy to do so. :)

btw, when are you going to put up some 2097 times?

Lance
1st May 2004, 08:25 PM
i second that. zargz is a really fine pilot; it would be great to see him on the 2097 tables, too

rejj
2nd May 2004, 04:49 AM
I grabbed this game for cheap a while ago.. it's okay, but I wouldn't go any further than that. There are a few small things that add up to make it annoying in places.. the physics are weird; on some tracks there are jumps so big that you cannot see where you are supposed to land; and there are some framerate issues where the game gets so jerky it is hard to play.

Shame, cause it could have been great.

zargz
2nd May 2004, 05:24 PM
yeah sure but i never even tryed 2 learn any of the 30 trax of the game. just beated them to get to the goodies of The Editor! :wink:

Zargz - I can convert video tape to mpeg etc, but I can`t put stuff on the internet. If you want me to convert some bits of tape to MPEG and return them on CD I will be happy to do so. :) hey that would b great! pm me u adress I'll send the tape :D

btw, when are you going to put up some 2097 times? hmm .. tryed wip3in some days ago .. totally and utter failure :cry: got used 2the 'analog' d-pad of g-surfers & the ps2 :o :o now im putting the last tuch on the trax 8) after that i try get back some wo3se 1st and 2nd palces After that may b 2097 :roll: :P

lunar
3rd May 2004, 11:35 PM
after that i try get back some wo3se 1st and 2nd palces After that may b 2097 :roll: :P

If you get a neg I`m sure you can challenge Al for first places on the classic tracks.

I`m settled for looking for 2nds in 2097 and 3SE Classix, behind 2 different people, but both with the initials AS. Is this some cosmic plan? Coincidence? Should I change my name?

zargz
5th May 2004, 09:41 AM
hmm.. i do hAve a neGcon .. tryed it and couldnt adjust to it .. :(
i should give it more time i guess :roll:

G'Kyl
5th May 2004, 09:59 AM
It`s definitely worth trying. I find steering with the neg comes much more naturally than using the D-Pad or the analog stick. I didn`t want to go back to the old controls as soon as I had finished my first neg-lap. :)

Ben

Rapier Racer
5th July 2004, 08:53 PM
I just went and rented that G Surfers game and I don't think it's very good at all, yes there is speed but like someone said it's not very smooth and where are the weapons??? Also there is no pit or way of recharging the ships energy, which I find annoying.