PDA

View Full Version : Weapons and Tracks

Mobius
7th August 2004, 04:24 PM
Hey!

I'm a n00b to the forums and i thought i would start a topic coz of that.

(and coz im nosey too)

what kind of stuff do yuo lot think there should be in WOpure?
eg weapons and features on the tracks?

i would like to see a weapon similar to the flak cannon unreal tournament
and rollercoaster-ish tracks too like in fusion

(i say "ish" as some people would throw up on thier new psp's and that wouldn't be nice :P)

What you think?

Lance
7th August 2004, 08:50 PM
hi Mobius, welcome to the forums.

i'd like tracks more like Wipeout 3, narrower and no open trackless zones. but i would like to see 2 or 3 of the circuits be a little weirder and wilder than the average track of the basic 8 on WO3, perhaps like the third prototype track of that game, or with Spilskinanke drop-offs, or some crazy alien other-planet scenery, preferably on another planet. :D

Set
7th August 2004, 09:45 PM
Yes, welcome to the chaos that is the forums. :D

I definitely like the narrow feature of the tracks in WO3 (and XL, for that matter), but the trackless sections can be cool, too...take Temptesh Bay, course 3 for example, the desert/rock area before the final rollercoaster-type part...it may be very open, but it's incredibly hard to maneuver throughout, offering quite the challenge.
As for different planets, I hope they do so; just not Mars, because it's been done. :wink:
Venus would make for a cool environment, with all the yellow sulfur clouds and such.
I really would love to see the WO3 hyperthrust feature brought back...it was one of the best elements of the game, in my opinion.

G'Kyl
8th August 2004, 08:37 AM
And a warm welcome from me as well, Mobius.

What I'd like to see in WP? Now, since I haven't ever played Fusion, I can't say anything about narrow or wider tracks :), but I believe I do want courses of the kind 1, 2, 3(SE) and 64 had. I'd also like them to be a bit more interesting and challenging than the average futuristic racing game offers. I always felt that Wipeout 1 tracks had more of that being-something-different quality than the ones from its successors, in relation to the time the game was released of course. Nevertheless, the new hardware should allow for some twisted, narrow, rolling courses that should make things more...alien (read : interesting). And since it's on a related matter, I would also love to be WP to not be streamed for the mass market but more for the dedicated Wiper. Oh, and while they're at it, they should give us weapons that are not only mentioned to be coming from the future but also look like they do. I'm talking about the difference in (graphical) weapon design between WO3 and XL here. I don't want XL back, not at all. But I want Wipeout Pure to not be another racing game, but one that is tailored to those who strive for high speed, battle and, as if they had nothing else to do, perfecting their flying skills while they are on the way. ;)

Ben

Rapier Racer
8th August 2004, 03:43 PM
I'd like to see tracks like those from Wo 3 and Fusion because Katmoda 12 3 was pretty narrow and had those flip pads :D :D :D and that long straight bit for ultimate speed!

I also want super weapons, but doubt very much that there will be any, and the hyperthrust from WO 3,

Mobius
8th August 2004, 06:26 PM
True,
i was only 9 when wip3out came out so the hyperthrust feature was too confusing, but good fun for overtaking you mates AFTER draining their sheild (heh heh).

What would be a good idea is if they have a big bowl or sphere in space and have a all-out elimintation, eg have 20 competitors having an mini neuclear war, a bit like on wipeout fusion (except not when ur racing as it dont half give u a headache.)

i could put a funny comment to go with it here but i cant think of any at the moment.
oh well. :wink:

[mob/gon]

Sausehuhn
8th August 2004, 07:17 PM
Yes, superweapons! I love them... I would like to see more different tracks. A mix between the WipEout 1 - 3 ones and the tracks of Fusion. I really like the wider paths of Fusion, they're making the tracks more interesting.
I like it how the crafts are flying in the old games, but fusion still has the best design and also the best tracks I think...
I even would like to see track at different places, like the Earth (of course!) and the Moon or the Mars! ...or maybe other planets.
I also would like to have one track, which is on more than just one place! e.g: At first you're flying along a ice-track... you're flying and flying and at the end of a path there is a thing that looks like a "stargate"... you're flying through it and at the next moment, you're flying along a track that is in the desert! THAT would be cool!!! :D 8)

Rapier Racer
8th August 2004, 07:36 PM
Indeed it would be, I also forgot to say that a detailed track creator feature would be good, you could choose the location and the track scenery, also I would like to see the track take damage after a missile impacts the side of it, I've always had visions of the Seismic Field ripping a big hole in the side of track and going straight through :)

Mobius
8th August 2004, 07:43 PM
Thats already in fusion (but it was a bit crap)

one idea i cam up wiv (while i was dreaming, mind :o ) was that there shoule be one HUGEtrack which you can race in sections, each with a different theme eg, one section could be ful of jumps, another with tight turna and so on.

and i you wanted to, race the whole thing all in one go and it coul take half an hr or something. it wouldnt need too much scenery as the poor umd would need to be dvd size to do that.

and if they make the tracks with locations round the world SET ON IN THE UK! i mean thats the home of wipeout isnt it?

theres a track creator on g-surfers (which is the only good part of the game)

just going off subject, anyone like this img?

http://www.odgie.co.uk/quake.gif[/img]

Sausehuhn
8th August 2004, 08:15 PM
@ Mobius:

lookin' good, just the quality of the Quake-Picture could be a little bit higher...

@ Ricardo Van-Uber

Yes, that would be great!!! And if there would be a track in a city, the buildings would be saved with big energy-shields... and you just see the shields, when a weapon is exploding on them. *just dreaming...*

Rapier Racer
8th August 2004, 09:37 PM
Thats already in fusion (but it was a bit crap)

what was? I didn't see any damage to the tracks take place!

Mobius
9th August 2004, 09:04 AM
On wipeout fusion there were parts on the cubiss float tracks which if you shot cirtain weapons at it like rockets or the proton cannon, it would be obliterated, opening up a new route, the only problem was the ai didnt know about it and they werent ver easy to see.

there was only 2 parts like that in the whole game and they werent vital to secure victory.

Asayyeah
28th August 2004, 05:22 PM
If they want to sell lots of copies of WP, the game should be accessible to a large majority of people and progressively increase the difficulties for those who are Die Hard gamers and of course for those who own their previous copies of Wipeout.
So they could add like driving license ( e.g. Gran Turismo ) to let people discover that game ( for those who haven't purchased a wipeout game before) : how to turn or how to use weapons or doing a perfect lap ...etc... it could be a different approach for challenges..

Dimension
18th September 2004, 11:44 AM
My favourite tracks were the ones from the original Wipeout, the whole style they were set in was what did it for me i think, I would go for more tracks like Manor Top or Terminal from Wip3out too. Weapons I can't really comment on that much as I have no idea what they were like in fusion but more of the same from Wip3out would suit me fine, maybe a slightly more powerful version of the straight firing missiles would be good as their shield energy damage seems pretty naff compared to even mines. but hey, i shall wait and see what Sony do with this one, here's to hoping it's good :)

Sausehuhn
5th November 2004, 05:21 PM
has anybody else noticed the quake in the trailer?

...just asking...

Gonaka
26th November 2004, 02:31 PM
my opinions are probably a little contradicting (lol) but id like the style of wip3out withthe grunginess of 2097, the track variety of w3:se and no pilot crap or super weapons like Fusion.

Oh, and a jukebox mode is essential.
Oh, and no ship upgrading (dunno bout anyone else,but i didnt like that)

Prometheus
28th November 2004, 09:56 PM
a weapon when fired at a target in sight, you would see it stall shake for a moment, and it's engine would fall out.... but it would still be flying under momentum for a few metres before hitting the ground and smashing to pieces and coming to a grinding halt (kinda like what happend to sebulba in pod race of Star Wars episode 1)

or better.. just start to see bits and pieces fly off and smoke entrails... could be the result of an attack from a UT flak cannon like weapon.. :)
there was one more weapon but its borrowed from another game. the original Extreme G on the N64. it was a warp weapon. it came in two parts. you deploy its exit portal like a mine and then at some point down the track, you deploy its entrance... those that entered it would be warped back to where you first deployed the exit... and if that just so happens to be where a jump in the track is....well... c'est la vie :)

Shem
28th November 2004, 11:21 PM
just a few things....
WEAPONS : certainly NO weapons like flamer, gravstinger (you know, the one which disables all the AG in a craft so it falls onto the track), grav bomb (damn this one!) and proton cannon. I liked mines in Fusion, rockets should be fired at once, granades rule and quake disruptor is great - all of these plus a comeback of reflector and cloak. Should I mention the weapon fire button MUST be a CIRCLE button? I don't know about the super weapons - some of them were nice (super missiles, turbo enforcer), some ridicouls (power swarm?...). Methinks, if the superweapons were reasonably realistic, that would be good enough. Fireing an orbital laser beam into a single ship on a track is just too much for me. It's difficult to invent a new, good weapon, so I'd like to see a bit more flashy versions of the old weapons (i had this idea, that the weapon pads would open when a craft is flying over them, releasing a weapon which would attach to the craft in a matter of miliseconds. Seeing a turbo pack right next to the engines would be nice....).

TRACKS : Both narrow (w3o style), and wide (w1 and Florion Heights style). No open tracks, not too high walls (like in pilot challenges) No doors opening right before the craft, no elements which would STOP the craft while you fly at max speed. No flip pads, and these nasty force-field walls. Not too much of a feel of flying a damn rollercoaster (it's a racing league alright), but hey, big drops are okay:) Loops are not, tho. As for the overall feel, well, I think it's time to go back to WOXL. Dark, industrial, japan influenced, heavy, russian.....but it ain't gonna happen. And crowds, AGTV cameras (whatever happened to them since WOXL...), photo flashes, and a Blade Runner feel. Yup.

CRAFTS : For many w3o presented a craft design which was the best so far, and that would include me as well. AG crafts of w3o were something that was a natural consequence of the history, and you could just see it in the design. Fusion craft design got out of control, and I could barely understand why they look like that. Of course that FEISAR had to have a standard shape of an AG Craft, Auricom's design was a w3o Auricom design, but pushed further, and Piranha was just a piece of art (exluding an open cockpit). And that's that, the rest of Fusion was awkwardly wierd in design. Take Tigron for example. It is russian, so the idea is that it would look like it was russian. And it looked like it, except, it was too direct. Why the hell would it look like an old MIG when it's 2160? It still could be showing that it's russian, by the heavy duty look, bad ass attitude, but not THAT style! Van-Uber? Why its german sounding name reflects its Messerschmitt-like design? Other crafts of Fusion were suffering from what should be called a "time gap evolution". What does it mean? Well, first of all, the game is set far in the future, so the designers have gone wild. I think they didn't consider the fact that the ships of previous Wipeouts didn't change much, which was good. It was like "wopeee! it's far future, so let's make them ships totally wierd and twisted!". No offence (designers), you did a good job, but not suited for wipeout. The other thing is that I found the overall design of Fusion being inspired by Star Wars, and that's defenitly NOT the thing I'd like to see in PURE. Just go back to the roots, and continue starting from w3o. Our forum friend, Mano, drew a couple of sketches of ships, which in my opinion would fit PURE prefectly. Especially the one-finned ship. The teams of PURE should be the teams we would remember, not neccesarily the ones we know by far. There is no worst thing that to create a new team, just for us to forget. That was not with the "Great Five" (Feisar, Auricom, Piranha, Qirex, AG-Sys), as they are remembered as the teams we recognise at all times. But try to remember Goteki 45, Xios, Van-Uber,G-Tech....So, the new teams of PURE should be really something, not just names that will disappear just like that....

From the other things that I'd like to mention, would be the issue of the plot, and the pilots. I say - not too many plots, leave that to the instruction manual. Pilots? Why not, but please, no faces, but kewl pilot logos instead.
The design - Designers Republic of course. Too bad it's not gonna happen.

Well, that's the basic outline of what I'd like to see in PURE, and (mostly) what I didn't like about Fusion :). Maybe one day I'll have a big coffee, and write a full sized essey on how could PURE look like. Or maybe just the perfect Wipeout instead.

Mobius
29th November 2004, 04:34 PM
The design - Designers Republic of course. Too bad it's not gonna happen.

What if we sign a big petition, mabey they will... :)

I think the E3 trailer showed just 2 tracks (one city and on psychadelic mainframe one) so the russian/japanese style could be waiting in the wings...

as i might have mentioned the rollercoaster feature should be in pure but the loop-d-loop need reworking cause it seemed really rubbish - the corkscrew was great the way they pulled it off.

The should look like what they did on wip3ut (hands up anyone who agrees) - i have seen the quirex ship in the movie - that looks absaloutley pants though! If teams like tigron and g-tech were in it too, cool! more teams - more challenge! (oh and speaking of challenges, eliminator needs to return but in an online multiplayer mode)

weapon wise i hated the mines being fired seperately as i didnt want to repeatedly press fire - just the stream like in it's predocessors. I disagree about the gravity bomb - i thought it was brilliant to watch. I didn't like the super weapon feature - that can go. i want the force wall back that was funny to use but it should be thta your craft can bounce of your own deployment!

The physics engine should be like wip3out or even W3:SE (if i knew what the game was like) as the feeling of floatiness was tops. if i was the lead designer it would be graphically and designically like wip3out - but i'm not so i cant promise anyone anything :(

but i hope someone from studio liverpool does read this thread and sees what people have said

this is george signing off

Shem
29th November 2004, 05:31 PM
TDR ain't gonna come back, I sure don't remember exactly why, but I'm sure it won't happen tho. There was this thread somwhere on the forums explaining what happened, and why, but I don't have the power to sort through the posts to find out what was that all about.
I don't know, Mobius, there's a conflict in what you say. The corcscrew feel of a track and the floaty feel? The ships should fall off the track that way. That;s why Fusion ships are somewhat sticking to the track, no matter the position, so they wouldn't fall down if stopped while being upside down. I'd just like the ships to float over the track, and that's all. To me the ships should defy gravity, but only in terms of floating over the tracks, any upside-down turns should result in falling onto the ground. I know I'm being a wipeout purist, and we've seen all that ship behaviour before (well, not all of it anyway), so there should be a change in wipeout pure. But If the change means taking the same direction as in Fusion, well, I won't be happy about it. But what's most important, I just cannot see another alternatives for the new ship behaviour in PURE. Or maybe there is - a mix of floatiness, and 360 movement. I dunno how this would work out though.

Dimension
29th November 2004, 08:09 PM
Maybe there could be some kind of feature wheras inversions are possible only when launching off jumps, dunno how it would work, (maybe there's a button combination required and maybe it can be used for shortcutting purposes) but it would stop the problem of being stuck to the track and the oh-so boring loops.

I personally like the way the game's looking so far, looks like the technology of everything's starting to catch up with the AG technology;. i'm no graphics designer though so wha'do I know? :)

Weapons? Mines in a line, not sure about superweapons and i'd like to see the force wall make another appearance, it acted as a really good track obstruction and made you think harder and be a little more on edge while playing 2P.

Shem
29th November 2004, 08:33 PM
the problem of being stuck to the track and the oh-so boring loops.
Do i sense the irony here (just asking, becouse i've always had problems with that)?
I didn't say that loops are boring. I just don't like to feel like driving a matchbox toy car, when I know I'm flying an AG craft.

Rapier Racer
29th November 2004, 08:43 PM
I hope the CPU ships use all the available weapons, it doesn’t seem fair if they only use a few it's like you have un unfair advantage, it would have been great on WO 3 if they used the force wall as you'd have to react quickly to avoid it, I agree with the statement about the rockets they should all fire at once and the mines. Also, on Fusion when the ships collided with each other they seemed really heavy, I thought it was better on the previous games when there was a funny little tink sort of sound and a lighter feel. I also want to see some decent track damage caused by stray weapons!!

G'Kyl
29th November 2004, 08:49 PM
Maybe there could be some kind of feature wheras inversions are possible only when launching off jumps, dunno how it would work, (maybe there's a button combination required and maybe it can be used for shortcutting purposes) but it would stop the problem of being stuck to the track and the oh-so boring loops.

I don't think this would work well in the game. Imagine you would have to press some extra buttons ever time some mid-air action is desirable... It also wouldn't stop the problem of being stuck to the track, since everyone could, in theory, gett off the track at any given time.

Ben

yuusen
1st December 2004, 05:44 PM

A London track please, with races dropping gimmickally into disused underground train tunnels.

Graphic design looks like it's going to be done by Good Technology again, if some of the cover-shots are anything to go by.

¥

infoxicated
2nd December 2004, 08:41 AM
I can stomp that one out right away - Good Technology have nothing to do with it at all.

yawnstretch
3rd December 2004, 02:26 PM
We should have been making these kind of recommendations when the game as first mentioned - its probably way too late now for anyone to take notice as Im sure theyre well into development by now...

Rapier Racer
3rd December 2004, 05:19 PM
I can stomp that one out right away - Good Technology have nothing to do with it at all.

Can you shed any light on who is involved instead?

infoxicated
3rd December 2004, 09:10 PM
Nope, sorry.

Dimension
5th December 2004, 07:22 AM

I don't think this would work well in the game. Imagine you would have to press some extra buttons ever time some mid-air action is desirable... It also wouldn't stop the problem of being stuck to the track, since everyone could, in theory, gett off the track at any given time.

Ben

Oh well, it was an idea :P I can't really see any other way to have inversions in there though, especially not loops :brickwall

G'Kyl
5th December 2004, 02:28 PM
I never played Fusion. What makes it so bad flying through loops?

From where I stand I don`t see the problem of having a floaty flight model on twisted tracks. With todays technical potential designers should well be able to build tracks so that shortcutting and "illegal" flight paths are impossible for any pilots on any craft. Quantum Redshift, for instance, did a good job at allowing multiple routes without giving you any chance of cutting where it shouldn't be possible. And mind you, the game hat quite its share of floatiness... :) So - getting back to the point - does all of this really obviate immersion?

Ben

Dimension
5th December 2004, 02:52 PM
heh, neither have I played it :oops: but from what I can gather, it's exactly what made loops fairly uninteresting and pointless in F-Zero GX in that you just feel like you're flying in a straight line, adding more pointless straights effecitvely :? more of a problem in wipEout though because the tracks are much smaller and twistyer (is that even a word?) than in F-Zero :banzai

Also, interesting to hear that good Technology have nothing to do with Pure, from what you all say they're not up to tDR's level and since tDR and what's now SCEE seem to not be on talking terms (at least that's what I figure, having not been involved with fusion), who's gonna do all the designs? Internal job or summat :blarg

G'Kyl
5th December 2004, 07:44 PM
[...] it's exactly what made loops fairly uninteresting and pointless in F-Zero GX in that you just feel like you're flying in a straight line, adding more pointless straights effecitvely :?

Hmm, OK, but how do you want to do loops otherwise? Having some rarely spread ones, preferably after more difficult passages, and also having no glued-to-track gravity should make loops interesting enough. :)

I can just imagine it: Getting out of a fast but tricky downhill tunnel chicane, turning into the right and, still at full speed, being instantly sucked into a small loop that goes down almost in a straight at its "back" end, then leads right back into the mountain, where you come out straight again from the final twist. Hmm, I think I will be having sweet dreams tonight. :-)

Ben

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2004, 02:25 PM
I've seen the screenshots of WipEout Pure in this big size and... I can't explain it... this game will be soooooooo great!!!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeout/screenindex.html

the ships, the explositions, the tracks, the rain! You can see the rain at the screen! The plasmabolt! The team-logos! (Of course Qirex's!!) 8O

I have to get this game!!!! :D

G'Kyl
22nd December 2004, 03:40 PM
Hey Sausehuhn! Let's get that PSP fast and meet some day... Maybe Sony will have some kind of a party here as well so we could do it like those English guys want to... :)

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2004, 04:33 PM
:D Great idea!! In march we will fight against each other :twisted:

:wink:

Spiral Motion
23rd December 2004, 12:35 PM
I'd be happy with the game to be like 2097 only with updated graphics. The loops were a great idea and it was fun to play but I missed the floaty feel of the other games more.

I'm pleased there aren't too many tracks either, Fusion had too many really. It's best to just have a few and playtest them to death so it's more fun to relplay a track than simply move on to a new one.

I'd like them to go back to basics with the weapons too. Hopefully no crappy ones from Fusion like the proton and the flamethrower (god they were bad).

I'd be interested to hear what everyone prefered when it comes to the announcers warnings of weapons. By that I mean do you like the 2097/XL style of the announcer saying the weapon attacking you, or the Wip3out style of the announcer saying the weapon you pick up and simply saying 'warning' when attacked.

In many ways I wish they weren't making this game because I'm skint and I know I'll end up buying a PSP for it. Ah well

G'Kyl
23rd December 2004, 02:22 PM
Personally, I liked the XL way a lot better, but from a practical standpoint, having the announcer tell you what you just picked up and so save you from looking up from the track to catch the weapon symbol is better suited to keep you in the flow of the game. The only thing I had wished for was the announcer to differenciate between attacks from behind on the one hand and upcoming mines on the other.
And just an idea that I think could bring the best from XL and 3 together: Why not have the male announcer tell you what you are being shot with while the female one tells you what you pick up? Then again, two announcers would probably meddle with the notion of one continuous style...

Ben

Mobius
23rd December 2004, 05:42 PM
or like in unreal tournament 2004 you can pick male or female and english or american or something like that - then you can pick...

G'Kyl
23rd December 2004, 06:43 PM
I'd pick the Indian kid for co-piloting support, then! ;)

Ben

Sausehuhn
6th January 2005, 08:09 PM
In the game there are only 16 tracks - including the ones of the old games. :( At this point Fusion rocks!! ... and Pure sucks ...

And I don't think they will have round about 30 tracks for download :?

G'Kyl
6th January 2005, 10:53 PM
You just like your Fusion a lot, don't you, Sausehuhn? ;-) (sounds funny writing that in English...)
Don't worry, though, track, weapons, whatever count doesn't make the game. WO 1 (as well as XL, for that matter) only had 8 courses, and it was the one that got the world hooked up on AG racing...

Ben

Dimension
6th January 2005, 11:52 PM
Less tracks means tighter competition and more time to practise your lines :)

Sausehuhn
7th January 2005, 12:41 PM
I know, I know. But every time when I fly a race in Fusion I love to chose different tracks. I don't fly just one or two tracks again and again. I fly ca. 20 or 30 tracks of the game! (Just a few tracks are really bad -> for example Vohl Square track 1)

Erm... a question: They will add Mandrashee (wohooo!! Yeah! ...Florion Height would be better, but Mandreshee even rules!!! :wink: ). But Which track? the first, the second, the third or all? Does anybody know that?

DuraFlex
7th January 2005, 02:00 PM
You sure its Mandrashee? Cause this screen http://wipeoutzone.com/images/wipeout_pure/originals/woPure%20Screen4.jpg reminds me of the first corner of Cubiss Float track 2. Makes sense imo because I dont think there will be loops or corckscrews in Pure and this track hasnt got any of them.

Sausehuhn
8th January 2005, 01:08 PM
I read on the german page www.playstationportable.de that there will be this 4 tracks of th eold WipEouts:

Manortop (Wip3out)
Karbonis (WipEout)
Sagarmatha (WipEout 2097)
Mandrashee (Wipeout Fusion)

:lol:

Sounds good, right?

zargz
10th January 2005, 01:37 AM
Well, I just flew a Rapier race on manor top with pirhana and let's put it this way -
fix the humongous shortcut from the first jump through the building And through the Head
of our beloved Big Fat Cat(wich I managed with Ease on All Four laps!) and yes Manor Top is a pretty cool track!
The shortcut on Sagamatha could we also do without. Wich I nailed only one of four laps,
flew a Rapier races there just now :D with an AG system.
It's the second time I try to find this sortcut, Only for research nothing else! :)
I'm sure thought that if I tryed hard for an hour or so I'll manage it every time!
Sgarmatha btw a personal favorite from the 2097 days!
Karbonis! well .. Any track from wipEout (Or Tracks)! Just bring'em!
Mandrashee - no Data .. :roll:

Dimension
11th February 2005, 03:15 PM
Picking this topic up again and moving onto tracks:

Now we know that all 8 tracks will appear on one island and you will gradually climb up the island onto higher and higher tracks, so what kinda track designs do you expect to see and at what point in the ascent?

Track 1: Harbour Track
Track 2: ?
Track 3: ?
Track 4: ?
Track 5: ?
Track 6: ?
Track 7: ?
Track 8: Clouds/Edge of space Track

Maybe there will be several tracks in a certain style, so maybe there'l be two or three in the style of the last track and 2 or 3 indoor ones on the way up? Ideas please... Also, what about names? Any ideas? :)

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:21 PM
I don't have many ideas, and sorry for not having any, but I think track 8 is gonna be really awesome!!!! I just can't wait man!! OK, I just had an adrenaline rush without Wipeout in front of my eyes. Amazing!! :D

Mobius
11th February 2005, 04:45 PM
there is a city ground level track
a park track
and a city high level track

i think

Sausehuhn
11th February 2005, 05:37 PM
I do not know that I should think about the places where the tracks are. They are all on one island (like in Wip3out, there they were all in one city), so there will not be a track on the Moon (like it was in Fusion), or on the Mars (I ever dreamed about that)...
:roll:

No metter, I think WipEout Pure will bring the spirit of WipEout back! Give me a PSP!!!!

Chill
11th February 2005, 10:21 PM
Mars was on WipEout, the track Firestar. And WipEout I (if that's what you mean) is spread throught the world and on mars. :wink:

Edit: never mind if you already know.

Second Edit: oh, I was thinking Wip3out meant WipEout, or Wipeout 1. Sorry, man!! :lol:

Lance
11th February 2005, 11:23 PM
i suspect that he knows that already ;)

Shem
12th February 2005, 08:06 AM
Oh! So the tracks are now settled on an island? on ONE island?...... sounds promising, but deep inside i was hoping they would set the tracks in different countries of the EARTH (notice :D EARTH!)...

hmm....

zargz
12th February 2005, 08:10 AM
Ditto .. :?

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Sausehuhn
13th February 2005, 02:27 PM
If somebody is interested in the logos of the weapons, he should visit this link:

>>> http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/waffen.JPG

I could not figure out which logo is which weapon [just know shield or something like this...). However, it looks cool 8)

yawnstretch
13th February 2005, 04:07 PM
Heh, well done Sausehuhn

Lance
13th February 2005, 04:33 PM
those weapon icons are yet more evidence that 2097/XL is the primary inspiration for Pure. wipEout original is part of if, yes, no sticking to the wall, no pilot characters, no performance variation attached to pilots. Pure seems to be its own separate evolution from those of WO3 and Fusion. three parallel evolutions to separate Wipeout futures.

or a radical rethink by the League organisers for every change of personnel on the Race Committee

Brother Laz
13th February 2005, 04:35 PM
Now we know that all 8 tracks will appear on one island and you will gradually climb up the island onto higher and higher tracks, so what kinda track designs do you expect to see and at what point in the ascent?

I hope not, because that would make the second last level be...

Sagarmatha?

You'd think the Sony CEO himself designed it the way they shove it down our throats. One of the shortest tracks in the series, the first tunnel seems to have been slapped in to connect the two ends when they ran out of inspiration [just like the final tunnel on Vostok and the part after the pit lane on Mega Mall], and I still have nightmares about the exceedingly silly 'avalanche danger' and 'collapsed bridge ahead' signs in 2097. It isn't even a collapsed bridge, christ.

Sagarmatha is also the Tibetan name for Mount Everest, so it really makes sense to name an island track after it. Definitely.

I guess in the end we will all grow to like it, and the 'Zone will be renamed to Sagarmathazone. :twisted:

Lance
13th February 2005, 04:46 PM
[totally effin' offtopic, but interesting to me: the name i had always heard was Chomo Lungma [Goddess Mother of the World], but possibly that is exclusive to the Sherpas of Tibet and Nepal rather than to the more general Tibetan population. i wonder what the Chinese call it. last night when i was watching a repeat of a Globetrekker episode in which Ian Wright goes to Nepal and climbs high enough to get a good view of the mountain, his guide called it Chomo Lungma. it all depends on which language tradition you're part of. i was kinda surprised at the 'Sagarmatha' name in WO2.]

some islands have mountains, too, don't they?

G'Kyl
13th February 2005, 04:47 PM
Pure seems to be its own separate evolution from those of WO3 and Fusion. three parallel evolutions to separate Wipeout futures.

or a radical rethink by the League organisers

That's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read FX300 league. Pure is certainly more than simple evolution.

You'd think the Sony CEO himself designed it the way they shove it down our throats. One of the shortest tracks in the series

Which is because it is only the second one of the game.

the first tunnel seems to have been slapped in to connect the two ends when they ran out of inspiration [just like the final tunnel on Vostok and the part after the pit lane on Mega Mall

Tunnels have always been a crucial element to Wipeout, so I don't think they simply ran out of inspiration. What makes you think so? The tunnels you mention are well integrated parts of their respective tracks, I find.

and I still have nightmares about the exceedingly silly 'avalanche danger' and 'collapsed bridge ahead' signs in 2097. It isn't even a collapsed bridge, christ.

Why is not a bridge? Also, the avalanche warnings add to the coherence of the overall stage design. I never found them silly.

Or did I miss what you were saying? I'm not quite sure any more... :)

Ben

Brother Laz
13th February 2005, 04:57 PM
[quote="GKyl'"]Why is not a bridge? Also, the avalanche warnings add to the coherence of the overall stage design. I never found them silly.[quote]

It's a sort of small cliff you jump off. There is no actual gap in the road.

As for the avalanche and collapsed bridge signs, they remind me of that cynical Wipeout64 game, which involved racing on an active volcano [for "serious background action"] and storyline bits about irradiated penguins and being #1 in the category of "heavy pollutant" industry. It seems odd to race [and explode thunder bombs] on a track that can fall on your head at any moment.

Nice to see Karbonis back, though. Always wondered why it wasn't in '3. :)

Mobius
13th February 2005, 05:08 PM
cool, sounds greek... :)

all the classic tracks are tron style i heard...

Dimension
13th February 2005, 06:26 PM
[totally effin' offtopic, but interesting to me: the name i had always heard was Chomo Lungma [Goddess Mother of the World], but possibly that is exclusive to the Sherpas of Tibet and Nepal rather than to the more general Tibetan population. i wonder what the Chinese call it. last night when i was watching a repeat of a Globetrekker episode in which Ian Wright goes to Nepal and climbs high enough to get a good view of the mountain, his guide called it Chomo Lungma. it all depends on which language tradition you're part of. i was kinda surprised at the 'Sagarmatha' name in WO2.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_everest you're both right :)

Sagarmatha (सगरमाथा, Sanskrit for "Forehead of the Sky")

in Tibetan Chomolangma or Qomolangma ("Mother of the Universe")

Lance
13th February 2005, 06:42 PM
hm... but Sanskrit isn't a living language spoken by any tribe or country, is it? if so, that would make any Sanskrit name a scholarly usage of a dead language. deader than Latin. hmmmm... i gotta look this up.

and come to think of it, the only Tibetans who live around Everest are the Sherpa. [or anywhere in the high altitudes along the Himalayan summit line in the region. so all the native names of the mountains would presumably be in the Sherpa language.]

edit: i checked on Sanskrit. used almost exclusively by Indian scholars so they can read old manuscripts. there is some interest [i suspect again only among scholars] in reviving the language. what living culture might actually choose to use it seems doubtful to me.

Dimension
13th February 2005, 09:19 PM
Whatever lance, you know you always lose everyone when you get going like that, the fact of the matter is, Sagarmatha is one name used for Mount Everest, whether it be in the past or present, plus you say about reviving the language, if Sagarmatha's in 2097, they might have revived the language. Just an idea ;)

G'Kyl
13th February 2005, 09:57 PM
It's a sort of small cliff you jump off.

I figured this was because the bridge had collapsed. ;-)

There is no actual gap in the road.

Oh, but there is. The gap is there, alright.

As for the avalanche and collapsed bridge signs, they remind me of that cynical Wipeout64 game [,,,]

P.O.D., maybe? Loved that game! It didn't have much of a well-thought story to back up its concept, more of a run-of-the-mill background to settle it into a futuristic environment. All of the later released tracks also made it pretty clear how much the game did not take itself serious. But hey, I didn't care :), POD was one outstanding racing game with loads of tracks and great multiplayer capabilities.

Lance: Yes, Sanskrit is still being spoken in India, quite actively really, which is mostly due to a strong religious background of the people. However, personally I do not believe the Indians will officially revive the language. Too few are capable of using Sanskrit grammar to a degree which measures Hindi or English. Not to mention India's aspiration of becoming a modern, westernized society.

Ben

Lance
13th February 2005, 10:00 PM
Dimension:
hey, i said it was offtopic. ;)
and yes i know that not everyone pursues knowledge just for the knowing. at least not on most topics.
most of us here pursue Wipeout knowledge like that, though. :D
but linguistics is another thing entirely. it interests at least three but possibly only three WZ members that i know of.

what was the topic again? something about tracks? and weapons? maybe we could have a gag projector to stop talkative pilots? the Darth Vader Force Choke. yeah. applied to the forums instead of the racecourse this weapon would make the forums too one-dimensional. in my opinion.

'' you know you always lose everyone when you get going like that''
everyone? certainly you, but please do not speak for everyone as though your own feeling is universal. object to what i say all that you want, but never pretend that you represent everyone. one should not even convince oneself of such a thing, no matter how strong the temptation. and we should not try to spread responsibility for our own opinions onto the backs of others in an attempt to dilute or deflect any results of having an opinion, nor attempt to fortify our opinions/positions by claiming that others agree when that agreement has not been made clear by those others when speaking their own opinion for themselves.

now thERe is an offtopic post that is relevant to this topic and all topics on any forum. in my opinion.

anyone whom i lose when i go off on a sidebranch of knowledge can always skip that after seeing that it goes someplace uninteresting to them. that's what i do when i can, though as a moderator i have to at least skim through all of every post. but i don't have to comment on it if it doesn't interest me.

all statements not in quotes in this post are my opinion and it is not to be assumed that any other person whatsoever shares them with me. i take responsibility for my opinions entirely on myself.

Dimension
13th February 2005, 10:18 PM
maybe we could have a gag projector to stop talkative pilots? the Darth Vader Force Choke. yeah.

There's normally something like that in the admin panel, they call it "Ban Control" ;)

[/off topic]

Lance
13th February 2005, 10:42 PM
please read my now completed post above. i was interrupted by my ISP disconnecting before the edit was complete. you are probably not going to like what i said. but you are certainly entitled to your opinion

addition: about ban control. yes, the WZ forums do have that, but what you're talking about would just be ordinary moderation. i've only had to use banning once, and that was for an issue that didn't even involve posting. for posting issues, there are multiple ways to solve problems. private messages, edits, post deletion for more extreme misuse, public discussion when a poster doesn't read their private messages or when a statement on moderation policy or 'philosophy' should be seen by the members in general. in the most extreme cases of persistent offensive posting, banning could be used; i think infox has only used it twice that i know of in the history of these forums.

Dimension
14th February 2005, 11:30 AM
OK, nevermind what I was gonna say then lol (don't wanna be landed in any more trouble), i was only joking when I said about losing people (myself included ;)), they're a smart bunch around here, i'm sure a little off topic chat about the source of the names of tracks isn't above any WOZ member's intellect, guess i still have to learn properly when and when not to try and beh funneh in the heat of a serious discussion, I apologise, i'll try be a boring bastard from now on, promise :)

lunar
14th February 2005, 11:54 AM
off topic - I did Sanskrit for a term at Uni. But the only thing I learned to say was "the King is riding to Delhi on an elephant." And I`ve forgotten how to say that now. Essential information to make your day.

on topic (though I`m not sure what the topic is) - I think Sagarmatha is a great track, but Talons Reach or Gare d`Europa would have been better choices. They are the iconic 2097 tracks.

The shortcut on Sagamatha could we also do without.

I agree, this is an ugly shortcut and takes out some great sections of track. I never used it, but mainly because I can`t be bothered to learn to pull it off. Also its impossible in Pirahnha I believe.

all the classic tracks are tron style i heard...

where did you hear this? Can Colin confirm/refute/stall :wink: ?

Dimension
14th February 2005, 02:17 PM
I believe he chose the second option a while back when this was brought up the first time (the tron style thing I mean) :wink:

Lance
14th February 2005, 06:40 PM
Dimension, yes, they tend to be a smart bunch. praise be to those responsible.

but please do not be boring. the problem in this text medium is knowing when someone is serious and when they aren't. can't see the faces, can't hear the tone of voice, and usually don't know an individual's character well from long experience, so we don't have enough clues to figure it out. and i long ago discovered that i have no telepathic skills. dammit. irony and sarcasm usually have to be elaborated on to become visible in text. or we have to use ten emoticons per sentence. which gets old. i use too many of 'em already. when i'm dead tired and have 20 or more updated topics to read through, it's easy for me to lose the subtleties anyway. your post looked completely serious. and my reply certainly was, and remains a part of my outlook on human relations and personal responsibility.

i tend to be intense, and nothing sets me off faster than incivility or discrimination against minorities by the thoughtless or intentionally self-centered majority. those two things just.... grrrrrrrrRRRR.

ahem. sorry about that. :)

oh yeah, and uh... assuming that one's own thoughts and feelings are universal Truth. ok, so 3 triggers.
ok, that's it for this post.
i think. hm...
yep. that's it

zargz
14th February 2005, 08:20 PM
cool, sounds greek... :) yeah it does .. but it's in japan! 8)

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Dimension
15th February 2005, 02:16 PM
heh, yup, I used to moderate a couple of big forums, got me all worked up too; i'll talk more carefully next time, but a bit of this can't hurt, now that you mention it::) :D 8O :? :lol: :roll:

Dimension
19th February 2005, 06:37 PM
New question on the tracks: Which version of "Mandrashee" do you think it will be in purE? (it is mandrashee, right?) I wonder if Colin would enlighten us? :)

Chill
19th February 2005, 06:46 PM
Well, I've seen screenshots of underwater scenery. Wouldn't that be the one? :?

zargz
19th February 2005, 09:44 PM
He's talking about the classic league tracks on purE !
how did I know that? 8)

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Dimension
19th February 2005, 10:12 PM
yeah, sorry I should have pointed out, I did mean Mandrashee in the classic league, I was just wondering since there are several versions of it on fusion, right? :?

Sausehuhn
20th February 2005, 11:09 AM
Yes, there are:

Mandrashee 1
Mandrashee 2
Mandrashee 3

and of course

Mandrashee 1 reverse
Mandrashee 2 reverse
Mandrashee 3 reverse

So, which track will we see in Pure? ...I would like to see all :D

Hellfire_WZ
20th February 2005, 11:19 AM
I'd imagine it'll be Mandrashee 3. Good length, great scenery, and a much more enjoyable race than the other variants. Besides, it'd be sacrilege to leave out the underwater part! :wink:

Mobius
20th February 2005, 01:26 PM
Arent the classic tracks in the prototype style?

i'd liek to see how the underwater parts shapes out!

Rapier Racer
20th February 2005, 04:12 PM
I'd imagine it'll be Mandrashee 3

If it is then it will be interesting too see how it turns out, I mean they better get that free form bit sorted

Ally Graham
20th February 2005, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing that as we have already seen the underwater sections it must be number 3.

Mobius
20th February 2005, 05:05 PM
I hate to burst you bubble but thta is from one of the new tracks - look at the movies on ign and see for yourself.

Im glad there will be one track with an inversion in it though :)

Sausehuhn
20th February 2005, 05:05 PM
The underwater section is not the one of Mandrashee, it's the one of another track. Maybe the first of Pure. Watch the videos at www.ign.com , you will see, it's not Mandrashee.

edit:
@ Mobius

Same thinking at same time :)

Hellfire_WZ
20th February 2005, 05:35 PM
If it is then it will be interesting too see how it turns out, I mean they better get that free form bit sorted

I would have thought so, seeing as how badly they were received. It took up quite a chunk of the tunnel, maybe they've added a straight section or a chicane series? Hopefully there'll be no more headbutting the ceiling either, the number of zone ships I caned on the roof of that tunnel was ridiculous. :lol:

Chill
20th February 2005, 07:41 PM
Well, if they're using another underwater track, they may not use 3, they just may use 2. I really like all of them, so either way would be alright for me. I really like the blend of all the red colors in Mandrashee 2 and 2 reverse. btw, when racing the classic leagu, what crafts will they use? Will they use the ones from Fusion, 1, 2, and 3, or just the pure crafts racing the classic track? If so, that's gonna feel kinda odd!! :D :wink:

Lance
20th February 2005, 07:55 PM
i would think it better to use the ships from Pure. aside from the extra work that making new models of old ships would cause for an already overworked dev team [all the old ships from all the old versions], there is the consideration that the old tracks should be a new experience instead of one you're already familiar with. using the ''Prototypes'' visual style and using new ships with new characteristics will provide a fresh experience

Rapier Racer
20th February 2005, 08:02 PM
Are there any plans for a Katmoda 12 Track? The third one without the flip pads would be nice

Dimension
20th February 2005, 09:49 PM
Im glad there will be one track with an inversion in it though :)

it has an inversion in it? I wonder how the purE engine will handle that? 8O

Hellfire_WZ
21st February 2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah, that horizontal corkscrew. It's probably been taken out. If the Pure physics have gone back to the older style, it wouldn't be possible to have it.

Sausehuhn
21st February 2005, 02:44 PM
I do not like that there is no voice that tells you which weapon you get. I really like the female voices of Wip3out and Fusion :lol:

@ STUDIOLiverpool
Please add the voice :)

G'Kyl
21st February 2005, 04:25 PM
But then the first two Wipeout's precise warning system was even more fun. :) I liked the understating connotation of "missile" etc.

Sausehuhn
21st February 2005, 04:30 PM
Erm, I read something interessting:

"Five speed classes to race with including Vector (slowest), Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom (fastest)."

"Free Play – Players race free of damage as long as they want without lap count or time restrictions"

"Earn a gold, silver or bronze trophy and unlock power-ups, alternative racing colors, new ships and four classic tracks from previous Wipeout games."

and you also can fly the Zone tracks (?) 8O

>>> http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=23457&mode=thread&order=0

Chill
21st February 2005, 04:47 PM
Wow, Sausehuhn, that's SWEET!!!! :D I've thought about getting three extra PSPs and Wipeout Pure games to force onto my family, but I don't think it's gonna work. They'll probably still just hate Wipeout. Well, if they love me enough, they'll beat it (just kidding). :lol:
--
I liked the voice at the picking up a weapon also, however, it may take it too much space on the game. I like the idea of having all that extra stuff more than the voices, so I think I can handle it. :wink:

Lance
21st February 2005, 06:17 PM
a pure practice mode where you can fly as long as you want. i like that. N_GEN racing has a mode like that; i always enjoyed it

Dimension
21st February 2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah! Free Play, excellent! And the new class slots right in the middle, that makes sense since it bridges that awkward "faster leagues/slower leagues" thing by slotting one in between, very nice. Like the idea of new racing colours, we may get to see an all white AG-5y5 yet :D

Chill
21st February 2005, 07:04 PM
Yes, the free play is awesome. Well, I'm buying the game for sure!!!! My heart skips just thinking about it. :wink:

And the new class slots right in the middle, that makes sense since it bridges that awkward "faster leagues/slower leagues" thing by slotting one in between, very nice.
I don't get it. U mean there are races with a mixture of classes? :?

G'Kyl
21st February 2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah! Free Play, excellent!

Indeed! What many of us like most about easy flying - don't worry, be racing. ;)

And the new class slots right in the middle, that makes sense since it bridges that awkward "faster leagues/slower leagues" thing by slotting one in between, very nice.

Yes, nice idea. Although making Venom slightly faster and Rapier a little slower might also have worked. But I am not complaining. One more class or not, honestly I don't care much. :) It's never been the different classes that got me hooked. I was mostly looking for Phantom and then sticked with that.

Ben

Lance
21st February 2005, 07:13 PM
Chill:
''one in between'', not blended

Hellfire_WZ
21st February 2005, 07:21 PM
Hopefully the new class will add to the longevity. Not sure whether they've toned the other classes to accommodate or they've literally just stuck another in there. Perhaps Flash and Rapier are equivalent to Rapier and Phantom from the other games, and Phantom in Pure is just uber-pants-wettingly fast? Can't wait if it is!

Mobius
21st February 2005, 07:52 PM
Where did it say there is a voice which tells you what weapon you have :?:

I hope there is one because i would never remeber the weapon icons for some time.

Chill
21st February 2005, 08:08 PM
Well, if there aren't any voices for the weapons, you'd be directing your attention to them more than if there were. This would be a better tutorial than if they always gave out all the answers, right? Besides, I like the idea of having to learn these things over others anyway. 8)

Chill:
"one in between", not blended
thanx for that. This will make the pilots starting way in the back more carful not to hit into the lower class, ya? :D

note by Lance: read it again. the CLASSES are NOT MIXED together. only one class of ships participates in a race. there are five classes: vector, venom, flash, rapier, phantom. at no time and in no location are any of the classes on track together with other classes.

G'Kyl
21st February 2005, 08:39 PM
Perhaps Flash and Rapier are equivalent to Rapier and Phantom from the other games, and Phantom in Pure is just uber-pants-wettingly fast? Can't wait if it is!

I seem to remember Colin said Phantom wasn't exactely faster than before, so I'd stick with the idea of Flash filling the gap between Venom and Rapier.

Ben

lunar
21st February 2005, 08:52 PM
I like the continuous flying idea - serious hypnosis, and may be possible to play while riding the bike in the gym. Dedicated zone tracks.....mmmmmm :banzai

As for Flash: A-Aaaah. Its a kitchen/bathroom cleaning product in the UK, but I`ll get over it. (Also Harimau reminds me of a well known brand of euro-confectionery. I may never be able to take this ship seriously, unless it seriously rocks)

Is it too late to change the Flash name? Can we choose some here, then have a vote? Please???

Hellfire_WZ
21st February 2005, 09:23 PM
If I remember correctly, Colin said he wasn't sure whether Phantom was any faster than the previous versions, but it would definitely be fast enough. It could still be insanely fast, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :wink:

I'm also salivating over the thought of dedicated zone tracks. Hopefully because of this they won't suffer from any of the problems of the tracks from Fusion, like slamming into ceilings or flying off the track *coughFlorian3reversecough*.

Chill
21st February 2005, 09:53 PM
It could still be insanely fast, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :wink:
Man, that would be awesome!!!! You'd go so fast that sight would start bending. That would be sweet!!

I like the continuous flying idea - serious hypnosis, and may be possible to play while riding the bike in the gym.
Me too. This PSP may help me get in shape again!! I'd spend all my time riding and playing!! :wink:

Lance
21st February 2005, 09:59 PM
lunar, it's too late.

the Harimau sure looks as though it will rock

zargz
21st February 2005, 11:43 PM
Ok! then it will be like Time Trial in wo64! Great! and therefrom the single lap ghost saves! :D

about the voice. already from wo1 I didnt like it - how did it know what weapon was coming before it was launched??! 8O
ok may b the crafts cummunicate wuth eachother ? :? but weren't they sabotaging eachother in fusion, the storyline anyway ..
the icons were allways enough for me 8) system I like the most till now is the 'warning' from 3/se but still say before launch! :|
bad thing in 3/se 2/multiplayer -> the voice will let your oppnent know when you've got quake or plasma!! :evil:
it'd be good if there was an off/on switch in gameOptions but if it's gone in pure then :robot I'm glad!
:idea: Idea i got is >> warning sound when missile is locking you, 'incoming' voice, different sound or/and blinking text when rockets/missiles fired (Not before)
-> gives you a split sec to dodge (try dodge missiles :mrgreen:) or use shield if you got one. for mines - keep your eyes Open!! 8O
may be also for quake ther'd be an 'incoming'_voice,_different_sound_or/and_blinking_text as just mentioned
but for the rest of the weapons use same method as for mines! ;)

btw came to think that even without a shock function in wo1, when hit by rockets or missile,
the violent movement of the screen makes for the most noticeable feeling of all wopeouts!
:) right?

G'Kyl
22nd February 2005, 07:22 AM
zargz, I figured that since the weapons pick up thing seems based on various electronical inputs (from different colour variations of the pads) enabling different pick-ups, a "supervisor computer" could easily collect all weapon related information and forward it to the ships on track. The internal computer then filters what information concerns you and hence knows which weapon could be fired at you next.

What I really miss in WO3 is different warnings for mines and other weapons. It would help BIG time to know whether you are going to run into a line of mines or whether it were best to thrust into the next turn in order to avoid rockets.

The best "wham, you're hit" indication for me were the great explosion sounds in 2097/XL. This, together with the screen shaking gave a pretty good impresion of what just happened. :) WO3 feels a bit awkward in this regard, since the sounds are still there, but the craft doesn't seem to respond physically to impacting ordnance.

Ben

zargz
22nd February 2005, 09:15 AM
your negcon doesn't shake but the ordinary shock d-pad gives you a formidable shacke-down! so yeah you can feel it! ;)
I can't recall the screen shaking on 2097, only on wo1 but I might be wrong .. :|
The internal computer then filters what information concerns you and hence knows which weapon could be fired at you nextExactly >> could be fired at you! not will be fired at you with 100% certainty!
:x No way the computer can forsee the intention of the pilot !
or can it? .. in the not so distant future .. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif ..

infoxicated
22nd February 2005, 10:12 AM
The weapons system, as I see it.

Activation: All weapons are pre-loaded onto the ships. Passing over a weapons pad activates a specific payload onboard the ship, and illuminates the appropriate symbol on the pilots HUD.

Warning: The onboard computer system detects the incoming threat and issues a warning to the pilot.

G'Kyl
22nd February 2005, 10:25 AM
your negcon doesn't shake but the ordinary shock d-pad gives you a formidable shacke-down! so yeah you can feel it! ;)

Only I usually turn vibration off as it distracts me from the racing part. :)

zargz
22nd February 2005, 04:00 PM
G'Kyl: Riiiiiight! :D LOL!

Warning: The onboard computer system detects the incoming threat and issues a warning to the pilot. *groan* well ..
I'm still not convinced, infoxx >> you get warning for mines and then after some seconds
you see them deployed and deployment as we know it is instant after pressing O-button .. :?
same goes for rockets and missiles .. :roll:
that's been buggin me since wo1 :D heh!

infoxicated
22nd February 2005, 04:01 PM
Who says I was talking about Wipeout 1.

This is the Wipeout Pure forum.

Gee... I thought we were speculating about that.

Colin Berry
22nd February 2005, 04:02 PM
Flash, I like the name, I chose it :P and no, I cant remember why 8O

I felt the gap between Venom and Rapier needed bridging, rather than bump venom up and / or reduce rapier we opted for a fifth class.

Weapons - My personal preference has always been to have verbal warning of which weapon was incoming, rather than verbal confirmation which reinforces the visual confirmation of which weapon you have picked up.
This is an issue which divides people, but for Pure you will recieve verbal warning for incoming weapons which are distinct, ie mines, rockets etc. The weapon icon tells you which weapon you have picked up.
We toyed with the idea of a female voice for incoming and a male for pick up, but for various reasons this was dropped.

As for the weapon system, I agree with mr Foxx 1000%

zargz
22nd February 2005, 04:13 PM
1000% huh??! 8O
Ok. then we wait'n see :mrgreen:

Rapier Racer
22nd February 2005, 05:15 PM
so what voice did you go with male or female?

Thruster2097
22nd February 2005, 06:00 PM
If this is indeed a back-to-its-roots manuva then, as all the W1 pilots will know, it will be a rather deep male voice.
I have to say that I agree with this arrangement, as in W3 I couldn't tell what to anticipate.
I feel it is important for thy modern day a-g pilots to know exactly what is going to hit them.... unless its a quake, i'd rather not know about that one! :?

and deciding not to get shot of venom is a very wise move.
It's the only speed class that I find challenging and rewarding. I find rapier too fast, so flash class might be my new target.

Sausehuhn
22nd February 2005, 06:26 PM
1. Has Vector 2 and Phantom 6 laps? or has Vector just 1 and Phantom 5 ?

2. What are the racing colors exactly? Are we able to change the crafts color?

3. Female voice, female voice!!! You can say what you want, it sound's better :D :wink:

Hellfire_WZ
22nd February 2005, 07:38 PM
I feel it is important for thy modern day a-g pilots to know exactly what is going to hit them.... unless its a quake, i'd rather not know about that one! :?

Yeah, I can relate to that. The point of a warning system is to allow you to take evasive action. Makes sense with the rest. Mines, move away from the craft in front. Missile, stick to the sides. Quake, umm....fill your pants. :P

I think Colin said Phantom was 6 laps. Makes sense with the extra class, I don't think Vector has dropped to just one lap. And yes, female voice please! :wink:

Rapier Racer
22nd February 2005, 09:18 PM
nah you want that voice from 2097 warning you about the weapons, female voice doesn’t fit in, while were on the subject of females, will there be female F1 drivers in the future if the sport still exists, and if there are I mean to compete with Schumacher and the like? How come you get female pilots on Wipeout, sport must not be tough enough

Chill
22nd February 2005, 10:15 PM
I love the female voice over the male voice. It make the game sound more intelligent rather that brainless and ruff. It takes intelligence, strength and stamina to play this game. Using awesomely powerful weapons requires a lot of smarts. For example, you wouldn't want to just fire off some Nuclear Bomb and be brainless. Besides, pilots need to be smart in the future, especially when piloting through narrow tracks at extremely fast speeds. Also, when piloting, females can be just as good. You really don't have to have a lot of drive (and physical strength to be a pilot it's more about handling speed), because it's pritty much fun all in it's self. Besides, I would love the females accent over the males any day. :wink:

Thruster2097
22nd February 2005, 10:17 PM
You only have to look at the fusion storyline for the answer to that one.... something to do with myima tsarong (sp?) and her really fast reactions because she lived in a bhuddist temple and spent most of the day meditating.

As for female F1 drivers, there is no physical or mental restrictions that stop women being sucessful in motorsport, women just simply have a huge lack of interest in motorsport, and the ones that do have shown that it is a nightmare to get any sort of competitive sponsorship.
Hopefully this will change, but for now this is a male dominated sport in the same way that shopping seems to be a female dominated sport. (sorry :lol: )

And as to the voice of the in-cockpit warning system.... my tomtom in-car gps is, has and always will be set to female. Women have always told me where to go before, so why change the habit of a lifetime?

Chill
22nd February 2005, 10:21 PM
I'm not interested in motorsports either!! :oops:

I only like sports that aren't dragged back by the use of wheels!! :lol:

Rapier Racer
22nd February 2005, 10:38 PM
You only have to look at the fusion storyline for the answer to that one.... something to do with myima tsarong (sp?) and her really fast reactions because she lived in a bhuddist temple and spent most of the day meditating.

I disagree, she could do that becasue of the craft she was flying

Thruster2097
22nd February 2005, 10:50 PM
point duely noted, and yes I agree that having the piranha as a run-around may have helped.
but I am sure there was another reason as to her superiority over everyone else.
and I am trying to find the fusion manual to find the reason, but its late and I am oh so clumsy when I'm tired.....

zargz
22nd February 2005, 11:06 PM
Actually to drive an F1 car you have to be pretty fit 8) ->
-> fight the steering wheel and 5-6Gs for 45 min !! yep!
:idea: it's prob'ly the Autopilot that makes it easyer for them women! :D tihi

Thruster2097
23rd February 2005, 07:29 AM
Straying ever so slightly back to topic,
I dont like the name for the new speed class. Flash.
Couple of reasons, partly because it sounds a little cheesy ( I think of the queen song.... FLASH! swoosh AaaaaaAaaA) :wink:
and partly because whenever the dotcommoner in me sees "flash" and "class" next to each other, I expect the next words to be "java" "applet" or ".css" Or perhaps thats just me.

I thought of a few different names, i'm trying to be quick because I have to go to work soon, so I will list the names and tell you why/how I thought of them later.

ION
STROBE
VORTEX
PULSE
HURRICANE
SAMURAI
KATANA
TEMPEST
SONIC

My personal favourite is vortex class. Just sounds mean :)

Rapier Racer
23rd February 2005, 08:26 AM
being a long time sonic fan....no I can't say it sounds too good, vortex does though fits in nicely

infoxicated
23rd February 2005, 09:08 AM
nah you want that voice from 2097 warning you about the weapons, female voice doesn’t fit in, while were on the subject of females, will there be female F1 drivers in the future if the sport still exists, and if there are I mean to compete with Schumacher and the like? How come you get female pilots on Wipeout, sport must not be tough enough
Giovanni Amati (http://f1rejects.com/drivers/amati/index.html) was the last female formula one driver, back in the early 90's. She only competed in three events in '92 and failed to qualify her Brabham for any of the races. She did enjoy limited success in other series, though - so she had talent, just not enough talent to get an F1 car on the grid.

F1 isn't the be all and end all of motorsports, though - it has always had a mix of some of the best and some of the poorest drivers in the world, plus the cars are hardly ever evenly matched, so it's hardly a good guideline.

Danica Patrick (http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/drivers/driver_bios.php?driver_id=259) will be racing for the Rahal Letterman team in the IRL this year. She's proved very quick in the entry series and seems more than able to cope with the exertions of the sport. Plus, she's only 23 next month, so she may have potential to go further than Sarah Fisher (http://www.sarahfisher.com), who just doesn't seem to have the speed required to gain a regular IRL drive, but is looking toward NASCAR this year.

So maybe there is a future for females in racing - but for now it is a male dominated sport.

G'Kyl
23rd February 2005, 10:08 AM
I find myself to not be much of a "Flash" fan either, mostly because it doesn't fit the sounds of Vector, Venom, Rapier and Phantom. Then again, I think we'll get used to it in less time than we have time complaing about it. :)

infoxicated
23rd February 2005, 10:30 AM
You do get used to it.

Even if you don't end up liking it.

Even if you don't end up liking it after a year of knowing about it.

It pains me to say it, but after the relatively pedestrian pace of Vector and Venom, Flash (spit) is where the game really gets interesting.

Damn you Colin and your Freddie Mercury worship! :twisted:

Lance
23rd February 2005, 12:54 PM
hey! i love Freddie Mercury. um... as an artist.
i have to admit that 'Flash' doesn't seem to be quite the same sort of name as the others, but they are split in character themselves

lunar
23rd February 2005, 02:41 PM
thruster.... your name suggestion is quite poetic.

Vector - Venom - Vortex - Rapier - Phantom

has a nice rhythm and soft alliteration before toughening up at the end. Maybe for the next game. :wink:

Chill
23rd February 2005, 03:15 PM
Same for me, Votex sounds like a good name!!!! However, if they make a faster class than Phantom, what would go their? Any ideas?

Hellfire_WZ
23rd February 2005, 03:42 PM
AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!! is the only name that immediately jumps to mind....

Ahem, on a more serious note, I really like the sound of Vortex as well, although Tempest has my no. 1 vote.

Mobius
23rd February 2005, 03:45 PM
Vortex has mine.

It probably it too late now but mabey there would be a patch you could download with that kind of stuff.

Colin Berry
23rd February 2005, 04:35 PM
Its totally too late, and I like Flash anyway :)

Flash implies speed - quick as a flash ! :P

Vortex for me conjurs up images of Star Trek ships heading towards a blue swirly thing and the adventure game on bbc2 (remember that ?) and also it would be

V, V, V, R, P

loads of V's !!!!

You'll get used it, Foxy loves it really he just likes to make fun of me, after all he is the one who usually sports the Freddie Mercury moustache :wink:

infoxicated
23rd February 2005, 05:14 PM
:P

Kids and grown ups love it so, the happy world of....

:twisted:

Thruster2097
23rd February 2005, 05:36 PM
to be honest, as infoxicated says, it does grow on regardless of liking it.

For vortex, I kinda had a whirlpool in mind, y'know, really fast moving water... but now you mention it, it does have a sci-fi ring to it.
This is exactly why I am not the professional here! :wink:

Lance
23rd February 2005, 06:10 PM
''Kids and grown ups love it so, the happy world of....''

what does that refer to? [non-Englander here, remember? ;) i can't complete the quote.]

Rapier Racer
23rd February 2005, 06:13 PM
unless it was used somewhere else first its the saying that haribo use to advertise their horrible sweets, that last word your searching for is haribo

Sausehuhn
23rd February 2005, 06:18 PM
in german it's:

"Haribo macht Kinder froh - und Erwachsene ebenso!"

Lance
23rd February 2005, 06:37 PM
thanks AD. haribo, three syllables, which fits the rhythm pattern. :)

Thruster2097
23rd February 2005, 08:44 PM
I know the common english song ends in haribo, but I really dont think thats what was implied....

Asayyeah
23rd February 2005, 09:34 PM
For France it's ' Haribo , c'est 'bo' la vie '

I like the name Flash which reminds me the film ' Flash Gordon ' when i was a bit younger ( love that song from Freddy too ). Obviously Flash could enter into the Wipeout Dictionnary easily ( remember that old topic :?: )

Vortex is great , i'll vote for it :wink:
How about Typhoon a good synonym for 'uncontrollable speed'

Like Hellfire has already said about his AAAAAGGGHHHH name for 6th speed, i could propose a new ' WHOOOOOSHHH' class. :D

Zone mode will probably be faster than Phantom, i hope the difference between the 2 won't be so huge than in Fusion : when you have udgraded your ship at 100% even with Piranha it's like zone 25 not much more. And for those who has reached zone 60 it's a huge difference, you can trust me 8) .
I hope PuRe zone mode will be as awesome as Fusion'one was. Just a detail about that : please don't make resetting the score till a certain number of points like in Fusion ( 4.294 Billion) it could be great.

Chill
23rd February 2005, 10:46 PM
-On zone mode, I'm afraid I'm gonna start turning the PSP like a steering wheel, and then loose focus of the screen!!! :D This game should really get me used to the PSP's handling (not like I'm gonna play many other PSP games).
-I would like flash if only it was a higher class. Why would flash be classes slower that Phantom? Which is faster, a phantom or a flash of light? It's not known to me.
-But of course I'll get used to it!!! Not that I'll play it much though (I'll probably be playing phantom the whole time, it teaches the best skill :D ).
-For the 6th class; however, IT'S ALL BLURRY!!!! :lol:

Thruster2097
23rd February 2005, 10:53 PM
-For the 6th class; however, IT'S ALL BLURRY!!!! :lol:
I have about seven words that accuratley portray every phantom race I have been in.
GO! - bash - bash - bash - nudge - bash - KABOOM!
....and it's player eliminated for the nth time!

My excuse is that because I admire all the fine work that the graphics people have done with the backgrounds, I like to go slow enough to appreciate it. :D

Hellfire_WZ
24th February 2005, 08:06 AM
What really annoys me is when you manage to get a quick start in a Phantom race and plough straight up the arse of the craft in front. I pretty much judge my whole race within the first ten seconds. Crashing on or before the first corner makes me restart every time, it usually means I'm in for one crap race.

Mind you, I'm not really a big fan of Phantom myself, give me Rapier any day. :wink:

Seek100
24th February 2005, 02:38 PM
Rapier is the best speed, but with only 4 laps it isn't long enough, Phantom is ironically easier in that they give you an extra lap in which to get into first place, granted that's still a mean feat on a track like spilskinanke. Where does Flash go in the order? If it's before rapier hopefully it'll get 4 laps and Rapier will get 5 :) That'd be class.

P.S. Plus Rapier had the much, much, much cooler logo compared to Phantom.

Chill
24th February 2005, 03:09 PM
Logos for classes? :? Well, in pure, if your gonna be playing other players, your probably not going to need to turn in order to nearly miss the first craft in front of you. They'll know the boost effect also.
--
And then again, you'll never know. :wink: Rapier's awesome too, but I like to play the top speed over and over again until i'm really good. (At least hoping to get really good). I rarely crashed into the craft in front of me because I "got the thing down". It's pritty easy if you get the hang of it. Soon, it'll become second nature, and you won't even remember it. I didn't remember this problem until you mentioned it!!! :wink:

Mobius
24th February 2005, 03:13 PM
Zone on pure = there goes my analog nub!

I like that idea that they should add class logo's, I wonder if that have (insert zargs' thinking smiely here...)

Doens anyone play a fast racing class then get impatient when they play a slower class after beause it feels too slow?

Chill
24th February 2005, 03:42 PM
I have plenty of times. Well, that's why I usually never step down from classes. I thought you guys were talking of already existing class logos!!!! Ya, it's an awesome idea! Wipeout had logos for classes, so it would be nice to bring back the tradition. :wink:

zargz
24th February 2005, 05:50 PM
in wo1 there were logos for venom and rapier!!! 8)
in 2097 .. don't remember .. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif.. << this one you mean, mobius^ ? ;)

Seek100
24th February 2005, 05:57 PM
I like that idea that they should add class logo's, I wonder if that have (insert zargs' thinking smiely here...)

They already did, unless you haven't played w'o" or 2097 you should remember them. Vector was two superimposed 'v' shapes with a 5 pointed star; Venom was a semi-circle backed onto a larger quarter circle with the star above the quarter circle, though they made the semi-circle more angled in 2097; Rapier was four inverted 'L' shapes 2 facing left, 2 facing right with the same star above them and Phantom was some weird circular fan shaped pattern. They ditched them in w3o when tDR went completely up their arses thinking they were the design gods with that uber-minimalist nonsense.

(I'd do an umlaut 'u' but I don't know how on this keyboard :roll:).

Lance
24th February 2005, 06:09 PM
oeuber? oeber?
SOOPA!!

mid
24th February 2005, 08:13 PM
(puts up hand meekly) I really, really liked the minimalist style on W3O (puts hand down again and hides)

Rapier Racer
24th February 2005, 08:49 PM
*thorws a brick at mid* ya boo it was boring and rubbishy looking, 2097 look was the best one in my opinion, I was also a fan of those cool class logos

Asayyeah
24th February 2005, 10:51 PM
2097 look was the best one in my opinion, I was also a fan of those cool class logos
Totally agree with that, some details like the yellow powder expanding from pipes in Talon's Reach or those flash of lightning from Spylskinanke, the darkness of Gare d'Europa... i really love that kind of atmosphere...

Does anyone play a fast racing class then get impatient when they play a slower class after beause it feels too slow?
Oh YES , one big reason i can't stand anymore vector or venom class just feel toooo sloooow, i hope like Colin said Flash will be the start of real speed.
I can't wait phantom and try to FLY :D

Seek100
24th February 2005, 11:06 PM
oeuber? oeber?
SOOPA!!

LOL, I mean some keyboards have it as a button combination like ctrl+shift+u the actual spelling without the dots should be ueber.

Totally agree with that, some details like the yellow powder expanding from pipes in Talon's Reach or those flash of lightning from Spylskinanke, the darkness of Gare d'Europa... i really love that kind of atmosphere...

Couldn't agree more, the wo games have been getting a bit too bright and clean for my taste, I really liked the grittiness of 2097, but at the same time the backstory has been getting more dystopian with each game, like in Fusion europe is plagued with terrorists and they execute homeless teenagers to protect wealthy vacationers! (WTF!!!? the ludicrousness of the European Union - or European Federation by then - actually executing people to protect fat cats is just stunningly stupid) It's kinda ridiculous and I hope they go back to the utopian background we had in w'o" and 2097, things were actually marginally better than they are now AG tech basically dethroned the elite who controlled oil supply and hence the wealth of the world in favour of the masses - that would actually solve a lot of problems.

Thruster2097
24th February 2005, 11:08 PM
now hang on a minute there, assegaidevelopments, look at where we are. the WipEoutzone. At least have the decency to call it a "missile" instead of a brick! :)

I loved the finishing touches on W1 and W2097. May not have been the most practical but looked pretty. The minimanimalist style of W3 tried to convince me it was more functional than stylish. Only problem was that it wasnt practical, or stylish, or anything really! (apart from brown, which it did have a lot of)
Fusion was bearable, but like the whole fusion project, it just needed a few tweaks. Not much, but a little love could have gone a long way.
At least in PurE there is the option to adopt a team's colours for all the in-game menus...

anyway, they did have logos for the speed classes. Weird angular ones. Weird but good.
And the speed classes now stand ( I believe) as follows:

VECTOR :beginner
VENOM :novice
FLASH :intermediate
RAPIER :advanced
PHANTOM :expert

It makes a lot of sense having five grades of difficulty, it might give us snail-paced pilots enough of a conditioned reflex for a gradual phase in to phantom rather than jumping from the preverbial frying pan into the incinerator! :wink:

Chill
25th February 2005, 01:56 AM
Couldn't agree more, the wo games have been getting a bit too bright and clean for my taste, I really liked the grittiness of 2097...
--
Totally agree. 8) I loved the darkness in Wipeout and Wipeout 2097/xl; however, I loved the style of W3 also. I really didn't begin not loving Wipeout to death until Wipeout Fusion came out. I mean, look at the first track: it's freak'n sunny!!!! When you start out on the bottom class, you at least should show it with a bit of darkness. Barely starting out with a bright sun blinding me just makes the game seem so easy to take advantage of. Wipeout isn't supposed to be an easy support, it's supposed to take a lot of skill, which people feel good about after beating. I felt nothing when I mastered Wipeout Fusion like I thought I would. However, I'll give Pure a big chance. It definately looks more like Wipeout 3 than Fusion.
btw: Wipeout Fusion had no mystery. It's like everything just would "bam!" in front of your face. It definately needed more love and work put into it. End of me yacking. :wink:

Dimension
25th February 2005, 05:13 AM
I thought Wip3out was cool, the music, the menus and the tracks etc., you could tell that they all had a little something in common, it wasn't bright or in your face, it wasn't attention grabbing uber darkness, it was just subdued, guess my love for it comes from my tastes in most things, I'd pick subdued and non-attention grabbing over dark or in your face any day. Meh, each to their own.

Oh and uh... (where to start?) i think it will be interesting to see exactly how much Venom and Rapier have spaced out to allow enough room for Flash, as is I honestly couldn't see it, since when you put Phantom into the mixing pot even Rapier looks relatively slow, we'll see :)

Uh, I vaguely remember the class logos, though that's not really all that important IMO, it's all FX300, right? :wink:

On which class is the best, I like both Rapier and Phantom. Rapier is a lot easier to control so it makes for those times when you don't fancy hairing (sp?) round the track so fast that you just know you're going to crash whereas racing Phantom just seems right for time trialing; I mean, there's nothing else on the track so why not just crank it up to 11 and embed your ship in the nearest wall? :banzai :bombhead

Oh and one final note, I quite like haribo, especially those nice little cola bottles :P

edit by Lance: you're talking about haring around. it comes from the hares, those very fast and very maneuverable rabbits.

Salt|Ultra
25th February 2005, 05:28 AM
Oh and one final note, I quite like haribo, especially those nice little cola bottles :P

I like them too, I like them too much... :wink:

Thruster2097
25th February 2005, 07:16 AM
I do hope we are talking about the sour cola bottles! I cant stand the wimpy regular cola bottles. I also like the smaller versions of goldbears.... we have one of those sacrificed in our lab.
Well, he's not sacrificed at the moment. He's just dying.
we've pinned him against the window ledge using a big "thumb tack" style pin and waiting until he dries out enough so we can tint him brown, then make two small tippex dots for eyes, then sellotape him to the ceiling.
Only then will the sacrifice be complete!

Sorry, doctor, did I say too much? :dizzy

Mobius
12th March 2005, 03:17 PM
I've managed to identify most of the weapon icons now :)

http://www.odgie.co.uk/dump/weapons.gif

Ms - Missile
Rt - Rockets
Sh - Shield
Ap - Autopilot
Tu - Turbo
Tb - Thunder Bomb (Possibly)
Eb - Electrobolt (Possibly)
Pb - Plasma Bolt (Possibly)
Qd - Quake Disruptor.

Yay!

zargz
12th March 2005, 03:30 PM
how about mines for that MI ?

Mobius
12th March 2005, 04:13 PM
Didn't notice that, thanks! :oops:

Edit: one thing else i forgot to mention was that the letters on the icons, i added. So i could be completely wrong.

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 09:07 PM
Not completely wrong....

but not completely right either

:)

infoxicated
14th March 2005, 09:15 PM
I miss you. Please come back. :cry:

;)

Asche XL
14th March 2005, 10:06 PM
Call me naive, but who is Colin Berry?

infoxicated
14th March 2005, 10:08 PM
Colin is none other than the lead designer of Wipeout Pure. (And good drinking buddy into the bargain.)