PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Wiper's hardware upgrade

R3rr0
24th July 2004, 07:21 PM
After changing the video-cable of my PS2 (from the standard one that comes in the package) to the AV-cable, i've notice a massive graphics improve! And the times even... :D 8)
Anyone knows others way to improve performance and get a better playing time?

Long live the Wipers.

Asayyeah
24th July 2004, 07:48 PM
Anyone knows others way to improve performance and get a better playing time?.
Practise, practise, practise :D :D :D
Seriously apart from purchasing a Negcon to improve your skill, i don't see anything else

R3rr0
24th July 2004, 08:08 PM
Yes I know! :D Talkin' about hardware performance! That cable doesn't cost very much, and is really worth-buying...

lunar
24th July 2004, 09:40 PM
I`ve tried various things to test performance, but I think its mostly (totally!) voodoo.
- I get slightly faster times on my ps1 than ps2.
- I have a lucky memory card. My Sony one is much quicker than my cheap generic brand model. Sheer superstition of course....... or maybe not.....
- WO2097 original is faster than the platinum version.

all very probably complete "balderdash" and scientifically impossible of course.

some more suggestions:

- Use controllers with shorter cables. Therefore your control signals don`t have to travel as far. This is actually the only reason why negcons are faster. Just sitting closer to the telly won`t have the same effect.
- Never use your PS2 in the upright position. If the bit of the game you`re playing on is on the part of the disc that`s going uphill it will obviously be slower.
- Use a stronger power supply. It beefs up your PS2 and makes everything run faster. About 10,000 volts should do it. Its very much like putting better petrol in your car. I don`t know much about electricity though.
- The game is slower on big screens, because it takes longer to fill them up.

However its absolutely not true that the type of video cable used can have an effect on the running of your ps2. Its just a video output and has no causal relationship with the speed of your machine AFAIK, though it can make things easier to see and therefore help your times.

those cables are really worth having though..... PS2 games are almost unwatchable on a decent telly with a composite video cable.

Lance
24th July 2004, 11:08 PM
Dear Professor Ingenieur Herr Doktor von Otto, my neGcon cable is too long! How many metres must i shorten it to gain a full second per lap on Spilskinanke in phantom class?

lunar
25th July 2004, 12:31 AM
First of all I should say that chopping your negcon cable in two might affect its performance. Infact it might not even work at all. So don`t attempt this unless you have access to a soldering iron and know how to use it.

To get a full second is a tall order, so you may have to reduce the cable to the minimum length practical, about four to five inches, and play with your playstation on your knees, though if you do this take care not to "jiggle" too much as you go round corners.

Lance
25th July 2004, 02:27 AM
i think i can manage to remain steady enough. i shall have to give up the simultaneous drinking of tea whilst racing, but...
well...
yes, i'll do it. sacrifices must be made

R3rr0
25th July 2004, 03:29 PM
However its absolutely not true that the type of video cable used can have an effect on the running of your ps2. Its just a video output and has no causal relationship with the speed of your machine AFAIK, though it can make things easier to see and therefore help your times.

those cables are really worth having though..... PS2 games are almost unwatchable on a decent telly with a composite video cable.

Of course I wasn't referring to a better "clock rate", but to a better graphics, clearliness of images, call as you like... better time because you see better.

lunar
25th July 2004, 04:40 PM
I understand, and sorry if I implied the wrong thing about what you said, but I have heard people say that scart cables make the game faster. I`m not sure what they mean by this.... and its a bit scary. :wink:

Regarding displays of Fusion, I got all my best zones on an ancient Mitsubishi 20 inch 4:3 tv set, which was made of wood - yes it was that old. After upgrading to a shiny Panasonic 28 inch widescreen it all looked too fast, and I could never get zone 60 with it.

Its important also to play in the correct aspect ratio: if I play 2097 in widescreen with the picture elongated its hard to judge the ship width and my flying gets very messy, as do the walls of the track, so I have to shrink it to the correct aspect ratio to play. Fusion widescreen mode just doesn`t work, even though its an option in the menu.

DaMiGi63
9th October 2004, 06:44 PM
"- Use a stronger power supply. It beefs up your PS2 and makes everything run faster. About 10,000 volts"

would'nt that "fry" your PS 2,I don't particularly want my PS 2 to blow up on me :P