PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in the next WipEout???

Dastardly
3rd March 2002, 09:24 PM
I would like to see online racing in the next installment. Also Id like to see all the teams in one game, and a pilot creater so you could create your own unique pilot and identity. Someone on the official WipEout messageboards also suggested tube tracks, which I like the sound of.

Wamdue
3rd March 2002, 10:15 PM
Track editor, team editor (like ac2 or something) and tracks should keep the length of fusion but stick more to the old school playability.. ie.. more like Manor Top hehe.

science
5th March 2002, 02:52 AM
online racing, perhaps a comprehensive version with all psx tracks and ships in ps2 hi- res with updated, but similar handling characteristics. that makes me drool just thinking about it.
of course, you must keep in mind that fusion still is the next wipeout for some of us unfortunates...

Thruster2097
5th March 2002, 10:33 AM
The whole package needs to be made lighter, brighter, faster, and louder.
Give it an arcade pick-up-and-play quality, rather that the gradual upgrade path we see in fusion. Speed classes need to be re-defined into categories (vector, venom, rapier, phantom), less upsidedown nonsense, more collision damage, and even more diversity in the ways in which different craft handle.
I am keeping it breif for the moment, but I could go into more detail.

Lance
5th March 2002, 02:29 PM
to design my own racecraft, create my own team and history and logos. and to have all of that stored on a writable portion of the disc. [or game card if they've advanced so far that they've replaced discs as the medium.]

Confusion
5th March 2002, 03:11 PM
A track editor would be super fun. Pilot creation would be very nice and maybe some logos for each person on their ship (makes it easier for us to identify who is who when racing in a league).

Possibly a logo editor so we can personalise our craft (like the one in Cool Boarders). More weapons too. Oh and how about making those super weapons really SUPER?

Online option, Ability to upgrade craft and choose a race mode like before (Vector, Venom, Rapier, Phantom) so a 100% upgraded piranha in Vector would still be slower than a 2% upgraded Feisar in Phantom... Bring back Eliminator mode too! Please!

jmoid
5th March 2002, 04:59 PM
i'd love an online option, but i don't think it's going to happen until broadband is a lot more widespread.

more differences between craft - more actual handling parameters would be good.

also more sense of occasion during a race, like there is in ssx, announcers voice before the race, that kind of thing - silly really, but ti would add to the atmosphere.

and customisable decals would be cool.

Hyper Shadow
5th March 2002, 06:20 PM
Announcers, great call! A few less weapons, or a ratio modifier. Actual tracks with NO freeform. Perhaps if they want to keep the pilots, they would want to actually use them in the game (i.e. give them character rather than just a face) again, like in SSX.

Get rid of Zone mode aswell!!

infoxicated
5th March 2002, 07:07 PM
Come on!! You cant take out a game mode that a vast amount of people have found to be fantastic.

That would be like taking out quake because you didn't like it.

I reckon Zone mode will be just as much a part of Wipeout in future as Quake has become.

Lance
5th March 2002, 07:17 PM
''a sense of occasion''
YES
especially since the ps2 is a powerful machine, it should be able to deliver a lot more trackside action. particularly at the start and end. could be a bit like RR4 in this respect, but not so overblown and tongue-in-cheek as RR4 is. keep a cool demeanour about it. despite all the excitement of speed and weapons, and the humour surrounding the pilots and history, there has always been a certain cool intellectuality and seriousness about the wipEout series in the actual playing of the game. i definitely want to retain that. that's a large part of what makes it hardcore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-03-05 20:19 ]</font>

Dastardly
5th March 2002, 08:53 PM
[quote]
On 2002-03-05 20:17, Lance wrote:
''a sense of occasion''
YES
especially since the ps2 is a powerful machine, it should be able to deliver a lot more trackside action.
[quote]

I agree totally, but this game slows down enough already (it seems to be happening more and more lately). I think they should master what they have already tried first.
Great idea though :smile:

Hyper Shadow
5th March 2002, 09:10 PM
Alright, keep yer damn zone mode. But I think it could be a bit more forgiving, perhaps a better medal structure; i.e.
Bronze-zone20
Silver-zone25
Gold-zone30
Because at least you could achieve something, how annoying is it to reach zone 29 and get nothing? It just makes me want to quit in disgust (and it has happened a lot)

Something else aswell, sort out the sheilds cos it is just damn annoying to run just a bit wide and take one shield point away when it didn't happen in previous games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hyper Shadow on 2002-03-05 22:11 ]</font>

Dastardly
5th March 2002, 09:42 PM
I agree with you about the shields, they are a bit stingy. Or maybe its because Im a Van Uber pilot :smile:

infoxicated
5th March 2002, 09:49 PM
:lol:

Very funny!

Yeah, you're right about the shields - I liked it when you could graze a wall and get away with it. That felt more like flying to the edge of the limit. Whereas with the Fusion system it doesn't matter whether you blow the wall a kiss or center-punch the smegger, it's still one point of shield energy.

I've been to Zone 29 on Florion 1 reverse more times than I can care to count. It was the same with Cubis 1 forward until I cracked that one.

However, at the moment I'm listening to my girlfriend try again and again and again to jump over some arbitary spaces between moving platforms in Jack and Daxter, falling to her death and then repeating the whole process over and over.

I think I'd rather do 29 laps in a souped up AG craft than let Naughty Dog force feed me recycled Crash Bandicoot any day of the week!

Zone is maybe a harsh indication that some of us are just average games players. I'm comfortable with that in a way. I remember the dude who beat me at Aklaim in the Burnout Challenge. Man, he was miles better than me - don't think I'll ever be that good.

Strangely, since I realised that, I've found games a bit more enjoyable! :smile:

Dastardly
5th March 2002, 10:28 PM
Just keep telling yourself 'Theyre only better because they have no life and they spend all their time playing' Thats what I do. Havent managed to convince myself yet though. I think deep down I know they are just better. :sad:

Confusion
6th March 2002, 03:04 PM
At least at the end of Zone mode they could have unlocked the F9000 Zone ship... Oh boy!

Imagine upgrading that thing...

Lance
6th March 2002, 03:29 PM
i do not seem to be Ace Racer, pilot extraordinaire. in fact i begin to think that there isn't even one thing that i am better at than everyone else. fooey.

Bob Todd
6th March 2002, 04:04 PM
One word: Roadkill.

Asimulant
12th March 2002, 09:56 PM
*laughs like a mad-mad at Anna's suggestion*
Yeah!

*sings* All I want is a WipEout game for the Xbox...

Dastardly
12th March 2002, 10:00 PM
No chance of that happening hahaha

PLASMA2097
17th March 2002, 08:49 AM
I just want the next WipEout for the PC!!!

I dont have the money for a PSĀ² at the mom...

but if it would be released for pc more and more people would buy it!

And I want the Designers Republic to design the game!
The design team of Fusion is not really good...

And of course all of your suggestions!

visit me:
http://www.plasma2097.6x.to
http://www.stevieflash.6x.to

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PLASMA2097 on 2002-03-17 09:50 ]</font>

infoxicated
17th March 2002, 01:07 PM
Make sure you know what you're talking about before you throw sweeping insults around.

DR did not design Wipeout - they never did.

DR made additional graphics - billboards, team logos, whatever. They did not design the games - DR cannot write code.

In Wipeout Fusion, Good Technology replaced DR as the third party that designed the team logos and a few other things. Good Technology did not write any code, nor did they design the game.

That's why it says in the titles of all of the games "Additional Graphic design by DR" or "...by Good Technology".

Saying that Team Fusion are crap at design is a misdirection of blame on your part. If you're going to throw insults around, make sure you have the right target.

Confusion
17th March 2002, 06:58 PM
Let me get this straight... DR/GT designed additional stuff... does that mean that the developers own design teams came up with the initial logos for th teams etc and teh craft designs, and that DR/GT did some extra design stuff using these initial designs?

infoxicated
17th March 2002, 07:08 PM
I had no idea my post was so vague!

DR made additional graphics - billboards, team logos, and for Wipeout 3, the menu design.

GT done the same for Fusion, except for the menu design.

So, if you want to blame someone for crap design, you have to distinguish which part of the design you think is crap, and then you have to blame the right people.

The tracks, environments, craft and all of the in game graphics, etc. are handled by the development team artists.

Confusion
18th March 2002, 03:02 PM
Glad that is cleared up... this next bit may sound like a rant but it's just a matter of opinion...

Well in that case I must state how I was a little disappointed with teh development teams craft designs. :sad:

I know it's a matter of opinion, but it doesn't really fit in like the ship designs of wipeout's past... for instance, Auricom's "classic" ship doesn't bear any resemblance to the classic ships seen in 2097 and Wipeout 3 (Wipeout 3 had the best ships in my opinion).

Suppose it makes a change though...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Confusion on 2002-03-18 16:09 ]</font>

Bob Todd
18th March 2002, 07:43 PM
Re: XBox... Well, they did an N64 spin-off. Psyggy may surprise us.

I'd like to see a proper Special Edition game. I want WipEout, 2097, 64 and 3 all remade with Fusion-quality graphics. And everything else the same. Same music, same ships, same handling, same powerups as in the originals. I didn't like the way W3SE moved around some of the weapon/speed pads. I'd like the PSX and N64 originals remade, and all on one DVD. Plus, an extras DVD with behind the scenes stuff, interviews, stuff you can print out with a PopEgg and quizzes. And WipEout 5 on yet another disc. All in a cool triple-disc box that comes with a 5x7 foot holographic poster.

I'd quite happily like to see no freeform areas in WipEout 5. Stupid things full of stupid, stupid boulders and stupid, stupid, STUPID trees!
No flip pads either. I like upside down bits, but in a tube/3 quarter pipe style.

The voice should also tell you what weapons the others have... I can SEE what weapon I'VE got! And I'd like the voice from WipEout... 2097's was too robotty, and I don't like female commentators. And I hate the constipated dude in Fusion.

Edit: Oh yes, I went and dug up my old wish list from the old board:
*The ability to create your own circuits using a track editor, like in G-Surfers.
This is G-Surfers' only redeeming feature; I bought it, and got rid of it after 4 days becuase it's cack.

* The ability to paint your craft and name it, like you can do with your plane in Sky Odyssey.
Ee, I haven't played that in a while. Planes just aren't thrilling enough when you have Tigrons and EG-Rs to play with.

* The ability to create your own pilot, like in some RPGs where you can create your own character.
This ought to be bundled with a 'career' option.

* Roadkill!
This should be a cheat; it'd be too silly if it was default. There should also be an enhanced form of this cheat that lets you run over nasty people from real life, like Dubya and the woman from the AOL adverts.

* Real-time weather and times of day.

* A cheat that does something pointless but funny, like turning all the ships into milk bottles.
I actually nicked this idea from Asimulant... we're both members of an Oddworld board and he once said it'd be funny if there was a cheat in the next Oddworld game that turned the baddies into something silly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pyro Annarchy on 2002-03-18 21:05 ]</font>

Lance
18th March 2002, 10:01 PM
i think we should have Abe as a blundering incompetent pilot with a ship that f*rts.

it'll probably use SoulStorm Brew as fuel.

i'd like a wipeout package like the one Anna suggests. i'll start buying Lotto tickets now. considering how long it will take to produce this package, i've got about 5 years to get lucky so i can afford it. but we're used to waiting, right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-03-18 23:04 ]</font>

JABBERJAW
19th March 2002, 02:54 AM
more floaty physics, higher height on track. magnetic generators to keep ship on track during loops and certain zone mode areas where floaty areas. then we could have the best of both worlds. I would like to see the US pretend osama bin laden is at dr studios if they attempt at designing wipeout 5 and take care of business on the whole building. unless of course they are good like they used to be, then all would be forgiven of course.

zargz
19th March 2002, 10:49 AM
roadkill is stupid something 4imature kids methinx.wont even like 2have it as a cheat. pleez spare us!

Axel_Alloy
19th March 2002, 10:59 AM
I would like a track editor and more info on the characters so that we can get more involved when racing.

Angryman
25th March 2002, 10:58 AM
i know one of the devs said that, "would we prefer a brand new cutting edge game or a remake of 2097 with prettier graphcs" or somthing along those lines...
but i seriously would love to see wipeout 5 be more like 2097...
sure.. you can say a brand new cutting edge game is better than a remake with prettier graphics... but.. if it aint broke dont fix it.. and no one is asking for a 2097 remake... we want WIPEOUT!
WipE'out" is known for its unique gameplay.. fusion has changed the most important part of wipeout... gameplay and the damm physics.
what they did to wipeout would be the equivelant of Polyphony Digital, taking out the upgrading of your car, taking out of actual manufacturers and put fake cars i, make the cars fly... etc in Gran Tourismo...

anyways.... what i want in the next wipeout is:

- 2097 physics
- WipE'out 1 inspired course design (none of this loops, upsidedown, flippad ****).
- louder sound FX
- bring back DR!!!!
- music which sets the mood of the game.. ala wipeout 1 or 2o97.
- Red Bull advertising... it added to the whole realism and atmosphere of the game :)
- bring back the classes!!!! (vector, phanton...etc)
- crazzy user interface (2o97 style)
- get rid of the silverware... ugghhh.. ihate when my pirahna turns grey!
- bring back the wuss mobile... in fusion, you magically re-appear on the track, in wipeout1-3 you were put back on track by that crazzy little biatch mobile...
- bring back 3 - 2 - 1 - GO!!!!
- remake a few of the past tracks from wipeouts and beef up the graphics. (also make them available to race on in reverse)
- make piranha a hidden craft..
- keep zone mode, even though i hate it.

i could go on forever... what i basically want for the next wipeout, is for it to actually be WipE'out.. not some Rollcage/WipEout fusion..

Confusion
25th March 2002, 03:45 PM
I personally don't mind the physics in Fusion... apart from Vohl Square 2 (where the physics seem to be moon like... which is odd, because Katmoda 12 should be like that). The floatyness of 2097 was ridiculous... far too floaty. Loss all your speed from hitting the ceiling and the floor in Odessa Keys in 2097.

Track Editors are cool.
Decal editors are cool.
Career mode is good.
A new menu screen.
Better adverts.. Kappa ones are OK but could be better.
Make it clear when you are in a new class.
Better weapons...
Freeform areas where the boulder's, trees and stuff are destroyable.
Past Wipeout tracks again...
Zone mode ship as an unlockable ship
Differentiate between a race time and a TT time
Bring back Race times?
Those billboards with a picture of what you are doing (Wip3out styleee)
Full pipe zones...
Eliminator! Bring it back!
More upgrades
More tracks in general
Weather control...
Better character profiles...

Lance
25th March 2002, 06:15 PM
~
records and replays:
records for both race and lap for both racemode and timetrial.
replays for both race and TT so i can see what i rEally did and try to correct it.

classes:
even if upgrades are retained, there should either be an upgrade level that automatically puts you in a higher class, or upgrades should be effective only within a class and have to be earned for each class.

WO3 physics:
with the exception of making the transition between scraping the wall and slAMMing the wall a continuous smooth process. with WO3, only a slight change in angle of incidence takes you from modest slowdown to devastating control loss. but i still want severe penalties for severe mistakes. i think that 2097 is a bit too loose in that respect. um... maybe.
^

FoxZero
25th March 2002, 08:43 PM
5 is my favorite number! and wipeout is my favorite game! this can only be a recipe for sucess..

stuff id like to see
-track editor (SIMPLE PLEASE, draw /w mouse the circuit line (see spline/beizer curve handles for deforming lines) drag and drop track sections onto layout, special tags for pit and start, terrain generator (random hills at defined heights/depths [0 for flat as in a city level]) and ability to place scenery objects on it) if you make a track editor, there is less need for more tracks and you can focus on the ones you put into the game. also a way to save these created tracks and post them online.

-in addition to split screen, online multiplayer. prediction, ai competitors, player statistics, time charts. you know you want it.

-anti gravity ships that handle like anti-gravity ships. as long as this happens i have no complaints.

-hyperthrust.

-pilots.

-prototype tracks (and the ability to build them in the editor).

less important but desirable items
-designers republic interface/logo designs. at least something better than (what i consider to be) terrible fusion icons

all i want is a solid wipeout sequel, with new features that extend the games replay value beyond its single player completion, and the traditional excitement of anti-gravity competition. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?

rhys
31st March 2002, 03:08 PM
Alright, keep yer damn zone mode. But I think it could be a bit more forgiving, perhaps a better medal structure; i.e.
Bronze-zone20
Silver-zone25
Gold-zone30
Because at least you could achieve something, how annoying is it to reach zone 29 and get nothing? It just makes me want to quit in disgust (and it has happened a lot)

Something else aswell, sort out the sheilds cos it is just damn annoying to run just a bit wide and take one shield point away when it didn't happen in previous games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hyper Shadow on 2002-03-05 22:11 ]</font>

sounds exactly like me! :oops: :x