PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout!

stin
6th July 2004, 06:05 PM
I just recently bought a Wipeout with a Jap`s version also all the japaneese writing on the book! It is brand new (second hand game :wink: ). but the main reason is I have never heard of a jap`s version on number one. Have you? Is it supposely be faster than the original wipeout?.

This is slightly off topic what of I`ve heard according to my golf friend, there is a 2097(XL) jap`s version!, is this true?
If guys or Al can answer on this one thanxs.

There is a picture I would like for you to see= http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/09/c2/df_1_b.JPG

stin :)

PS I`m gonna play it tonight hopefully.

Shem
6th July 2004, 09:14 PM
Sure there is XL's jap version. Trust me. I have this version.
But I've never heard of jp. ver. of W'O. I assumed there would be one. All in all, this was one of the launch titles of PS (a second launch title as far as I remember....the first one was Ridge Racer), and since Playstation came from Japan, it would be just unfair towards the japanese not to have this game.
And BTW - nice artwork on the manual. And tell us if the credits and the congratulation lines after finishing the firestar in championship are in kanjii. Or if there is some kanjii anyway. Wipeout + japanese culture rocks!!

science
6th July 2004, 10:54 PM
japanese culture rocks!!
Sometimes I agree with you, then there are other times where I'm not so sure... vending machines with used panties and gameshows like MXC (Most Extreme [Elimination] Challenge). The Japanese have some great culture behind them, but they are friggin wierd man.

But I digress so early in this thread...

I haven't heard anything about a WO1 from Japan, but I couldn't imagine that they didn't get a release of it. To the best of my knowledge they have gotten a release of every other Wipeout (not sure about 64, but once again, I'm sure it's out there). What percentage of games is it that Europe receives compared to Japan? Isn't it like 25% or less? And isn't that percentage even lower for N. Americans? It's crazy, the amount of pure wierdness and garbage that is on the market over there for consoles. (Where's that Donkey Konga video?)
::Asks himself, "Did I really change the subject twice in a single post?" hits submit, and runs away::

Shem
6th July 2004, 11:28 PM
Sure it rocks, but with Wipeout. I just can't imagine what would W'O be if it weren't for the japanese influence init. For the rest of what you've written:
You're right, Japn is a freakin' wierd country. For eg. you shouldn't be surprised if going to the toilet at McDonald's you'd see a hole in the ground instead of what we call a toilet. I wonder why waiting for a green light, you see a blue one. I will never guess how to bow to ppl, and I don't even talk about making a mistake, if you do sth wrong.....whooosh! And your head rolls on the floor. Wierd country I concur....
I know that Japanese games are as mental as japanese ppl are. Have you ever heard of a shopping mall simulator? How about construction site heavy machinery fighting? Densha De Go!! looks most decent of all of these wierd games, tho it's a train simulator. Look like all they need is a falling bomb simulator or a toilet flushing olympics arcade...
That's why only 25% of jap. games come to Europe. But hey, it's same with USA games. But on a smaller scale. Only few ppl in Europe know what Nascar racing is, therefore they're not interested. The same with American Footbal. But nothing compares to japan. Their culture rocks (but I ain't planning to live there) :wink:

infoxicated
7th July 2004, 08:30 AM
Japanese culture definately rocks!

It took a turn for the poorer when they stopped making Takeshi's Castle (http://www.takeshiscastle.org/), but we wouldn't have PlayStations or robot dogs if it wasn't for those crazy japanese minds :)

Shem
7th July 2004, 09:40 AM
I didn't know that this show was so old! 86-89? Holy crap, I was still a rugrat back then...
But I loved the show, the've shown it on DSF, german sports channel, but as with everything that's cool, they've ceased to show it.....
Hey infox, do you remember one of the competitions, which included running though the doors? There were like 5 rows of doors, many of them were made of paper, but some of them were made of wood. The guy would make a run for it and after getting trough the paper doors at full speed he'd hit the wooden door in the last row.... :x
The maze was also cool, these japanese chicks were scared to death when captured by the dressed up-like-idiots walkin around the maze along with the contender.
And the best one was the run on the big rolls over the pond or whatever it was. Only few ppl managed to make it to the other side. I remember this fat lady (with a pink helmet wobblin on her head), who tried to get trough, but instead of running, she stood on the roll, the roll started to turn around so she slipped, bounced off of the roll and hit the next roll with her face with all the force. Man, that was nasty....but I laughed my ass off. Great show... :D

stin
7th July 2004, 01:37 PM
music,

Wipe-out (Hartnoll/Hartnoll)

Chemical Beats
The Chemical Brothers

Airo (Ride) (Barnes/Daley/Cole)
Hard! (UK)Hands

and the rest is COLD STORAGE

The rest of their`s credits are mostly the same!.

Lastly do you expect me to read after congratulation in japaneese?!!! :roll: LOL!

My game would not work :cry: but nevermind and I`m keeping it as collector items. Also I`m still searching more stuff and hopefully getting a PSone console (jap`s version).

stin :D

G'Kyl
7th July 2004, 02:27 PM
Gosh, I SO didn't like Takeshi's Castle. ;) I never understood what people found funny about it. I highly admire Takeshi's work, but this was a piece of Japanese culture I was never able to bend my mind around.
I agree that Japanese culture is interesting, and most of all it often is also extremely entertaining (save for the ever-present overdoes of female sexuality (I actually thought about something like 'girl abuse stuff')). Without it, a load of games and movies hadn't become what they are.

Piranha Advancements
7th July 2004, 02:47 PM
Takeshi's Castle..whoa..havent seen that for a long time.

At times morbidly funny seing contestants showing great enthusiasm with the V signs and gaudy clothes before getting PWN'D by those evil castle bastards or slamming face first on a tree column.

And at times,just dull.

Shem
7th July 2004, 04:01 PM
Airo (Ride) (Barnes/Daley/Cole)
Hard! (UK)Hands

What the hell is "Hard! (UK)Hands" ? It's simple that Airo (Ride) is just Afro-Ride by Leftfield. Japs like to spell these in their own way, but "Hard!" ? Isn't it Petrol by Orbital?
And, yo Stindah, I just wanted to know if after congrats are in kanjii, no need to read them man :D
BTW, japanese W'O Original will make a great collectors item. I envy U.

stin
7th July 2004, 09:05 PM
Shem, Tell you what I can send the book to you if you want? but that what it says and no mention of Orbital or anything.
lol about congratulation! :wink: and yeah I`m really happy as a collection item!

stin :D

Shem
7th July 2004, 10:07 PM
If it isn't Orbital then what is it? This is gettin' really interesting. Could it be a mystery audio track? Different name for Petrol? Credit mistake? ("we'll find out in the next episode of "Major Glory and the Puppet Palls" !!!). Would you check the track in your stereo Stindah? Pretty please! :D

Damon
12th July 2004, 01:23 PM
Hard Hands was Leftfield's own record label. Thus the track 'Afro-Ride' was licensed to Sony from Hard Hands (UK).

So it's not a mystery track - just a music publishing credit presented in a misleading manner!

Damon
12th July 2004, 01:26 PM
Woooah! Bloody hell - where did that big Psygnosis owl face come from??!! (See previous post). LOL! :lol:

xEik
12th July 2004, 02:00 PM
It's been assigned to those forum users who were involved in the creation of any of the WipEouts. This way people know that posts like your previous one come from someone who knows what he's talking about.

I hope you don't mind the owl staring at you every time you post. :lol:

Damon
12th July 2004, 02:14 PM
I hope you don't mind the owl staring at you every time you post. :lol:

Not in the slightest. In fact, it takes me back... <wipes nostalgic tear from eye>

Asayyeah
12th July 2004, 02:40 PM
Hi Mr Fairclough, i would like to thank you for what you have created you and your team, for all the entertainment you gave me during these past 8 years.
Should i mention that i travelled abroad due to Wipeout :) , yes it's true : recently ive been to scotland to meet another great wiper : Stindah, playing i-link 2097 & SE... few years ago i went to Holland for the same reason...
And i've discovered here in this pretty cool site, fellow new friends. :) :wink:

So for what you & psygnosis have done for me, i would give you a big
THANK YOU Damon :wink:

Rapier Racer
12th July 2004, 10:31 PM
Why did sony have to stop using the Psygnosis name and logo? studio liverpool is crap. A question to mr wipeout creator (god) did you have any involvement with the Rollcage games?

And infox please! where did you obtain that nice shiny Psygnosis logo from, I've been searching for ages and can't find one as good as that!

stin
13th July 2004, 09:03 AM
Thanxs Damon for sorting us out and helping to make the wipeout alive!!!

Shem: I had been listening alot! :o but mostly are the same music but mind you I can`t see the proper credits in the game so one day I will see it :wink: .
On the other note, I`m that used to listen 2097`s music!! :oops: then I had realised it`s Wipeout I`m listen to! (I`m that bloody stupid!). I realised Wipeout music are awesome and different compare to other music.

Guys just to let you know I am deaf well partial hearing so I CAN hear alot of things with the help of my hearing aid!. (on a safe note Asayyeah knows I do loves music! ;))

stin
:D

Damon
13th July 2004, 11:16 AM
A question to mr wipeout creator (god) did you have any involvement with the Rollcage games?

:oops: I'm flattered Ricardo, I really am, but that 'Wipeout creator' tag... man, I was just the writing guy! I just mention this to spare my blushes in case any of the real Wipeout creators - Nick, Lee, Jim and the rest - are reading this!

Anyway, to answer your question... I had nothing to do with Rollcage I'm afraid.

Cheers guys. :)

lunar
13th July 2004, 10:26 PM
I think the writer of the line "leave those damp brown days alone" deserves the nobel prize for gaming literature. The idea of "damp brown days" seems quite poetic to me.

Lance
13th July 2004, 10:54 PM
not merely poetic, but fecund..... or fecal... or well, one of those, i guess ;)

xEik
13th July 2004, 11:22 PM
And WO wouldn't be the same without Pierre, Kel, Anastasia, Daniel and Arial. :D