PDA

View Full Version : Designers Republic?

Raelgun
19th June 2004, 09:08 PM
hi everyone!

im new here, been a fan of the wipeout series for forever, except Fusion...

and that was namely becuase it seemed like the Designers Republic didnt have anything to do with it... among other reasons too though...

the other 3 wipeouts are classic, number 1 still being my fave...

my question is if anyone knows/thinks the Designers Republic are/will be involved in Wipeout Pure?

oh i found the site (wipeoutzone.com) a few days ago by accident even hah! and its awesome keep up the good work!

Shem
19th June 2004, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forums Raelgun!
Nice to see someone who appoints Wipeout 1 as a favourite one. Your attitude towards Fusion seems to be healthy enough, there are not many ppl here who think WF is the best part of the series. Mainly not becouse DR was not present during the design proces of WF, rather other more significant things. Check the '10 things I hate about Wipeout Fusion" topic for more opinions.
As for your question - I think the DR's work with Wipeout series had come to an end with Wip3out SE. I highly doubt they would work on Wipeout Pure design, tho I guess everyone would agree that DR would do best performing a design for the new Wipeout.
DR is a part of W'O series, and it would make a full circle seeing their design on WP. But I guess it won't happen.

zargz
19th June 2004, 10:38 PM
hello mate!
welcome fr down_under! 8)

hey cool site!
I like u pics! (if it's u who painted them) :D

Lance
19th June 2004, 10:44 PM
hi RaelGun, welcome to the WZ

--------------

if you want to know what we think of Designer's Republic and what they actually did versus what a lot of people think they did, use the forum search engine. it's been discussed a lOt

yuusen
20th June 2004, 11:15 AM

welcome to the forums raelgun!

i share your opinion regarding mitDR.

i like your illustrations, you have a distinct style. if you'd like to learn the deeper aspects of flash, take a look at www.oreilly.com and order some books on actionscript (amazon does 'em cheaper).

welcome again, i hope you enjoy your time here :D.

¥

Raelgun
20th June 2004, 12:48 PM
hey Shem, zargz, Lance, yuusen!!! :D

hehe thanks about liking the pics on my site, i did do them yeah...

oh and thats a bummer if the DR ended there work with WIpeout 3 SE...

i always thought the look was such a huge part of the whole experience of wipeout, and i relised how important the DR were to that look when Fusion came out... before i even played it, upon first glance it looked like... i dunno... soul-less?

i just had to say 2 things i love in part 1 that makes it my fave:

1) The characters, i thought they were very cool and sorely missed from part 2... Arial Tetsuo RULES! :)

2) Weapons on part one DONT kill... in part 2 and onwards people can get shot up and die in their craft?! i didnt like this at all, it just dosent make sense why in the wipeout storyline/universe ppl would want to see "carnage" and "death" at a racing event... its like if now companies start mounting maching guns to race cars and they can shoot eachother around the track... people would be against it... oh im probly making a too big deal about this hahah... anyways thats it...

I gotta ask you guys, I never played W3 Special Edition, whats the difference between this one and normal W3?

oh and im still gonna hope and pray sony/studio liverpool kiss and make up with the Designers Republic for Pure... fingers crossed!

edit: forgot to add:

yuusen, yeah ill be doing a flash/multimedia subject for my course next semester, so hope to learn it well... and im kinda on holidays now gonna try to practise it... ive always been heaps lazy to work/learn flash... but its so worth knowing...
ill check those books out thanks! hey do you know if thats the same O'Reilly refference that Macromedia packs in with Dreamweaver?

Shem
20th June 2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I concur (as for the weapons in W'O 1). I also agree with you when it comes to DR and the characters in W'O 1. Arial Tetsuo had the best paint work among any other AG craft - that's for sure. Tho I raced Daniel Chang.
One thing I noticed recently - the character logo design has been used on several occasions on MTV (namely John Dekka's logo). This is a good example of DR's influence. Considering Wipeout of course. I don't even mention mitDR's influence on design as a whole. It's massive. But everyone knows that. And I hope mitDR will do the design for WP. It's the last thing I can do actually.
To answer your question - W3O Special Edition has 8 extra Classic tracks. Basicly they are the tracks from Wipeout Original and W'O 2097/XL. All of them look great (especially Gare'd Europa). Tunnels are brighten up a bit (check the Stanza Inter), the physics seem to be slightly different from those implied to W3O, but basicly they're the same. The soundtrack is the same as in W3O. There are also 2 extra prototype tracks, oval tracks designed for high-speed so called 'mystery' ships. Their stats are maxed out, so the speed is awesome, difficult to handle tho. Few extra cheat codes (flying the rescue ship is my fav, some unused Curly "you've won classic league!" animations), and you don't have to enter the cheatcode for linked-play. Link option is there from the start. There's also a nice feature of "next race" in single race mode, so you don't have to enter the SR track menu to choose the next track. The last thing is that the menu fonts are more visible, not as small as in W3O. And that's it. It's Wipeout 3 Special Edition.

yuusen
20th June 2004, 03:07 PM

i certainly expect that it is the oreilly you are referring to. i was learning flash up until 6 months ago, when my faster mac died, and found it to be a great tool as well as artistic medium. i am interested in the effects of mathematics on visual (and possibly audible) artwork and flash can provide a great canvas for that.

¥

Lance
20th June 2004, 04:42 PM
i do not intend to start yet another discussion of DR since there have been more than enough of those here already, but there is one thing i've not seen an answer to: what does the 'mi' in mitDR stand for? or should the question be what does 'mit' stand for? surely not Massachusetts Institute of Technology ;)

Shem
20th June 2004, 05:02 PM
I always thought 'mit' was german for 'with'. So withDR. Seems like typical for the Designers Republic ("I love my DR"). I dunno, G'Kyl speaks german, he's the one who should answer it (ignore me please).....

Lance
20th June 2004, 05:12 PM
but Designer's Republic is a British company, yes?

Shem
20th June 2004, 05:25 PM
hmm..they are from Sheffield :oops: Told you to ignore me :D

Piranha Advancements
20th June 2004, 05:28 PM
I do agree with you.The original Wipeout PWNS all! Except Wipout SE but hey,nice to meet you.

G'Kyl
20th June 2004, 05:37 PM
Shem, you're right, "mit" is German for "with", though in this case it would probably be translated as "featuring" - if it's indeed German "mit" and nothing else. Maybe all the wanted is go for something different and so decided to do something German. Dunno. :)

Ben

infoxicated
20th June 2004, 09:18 PM
Made in the...

... I cant believe we're doing the whole Designers Republic thing again... :roll:

yuusen
20th June 2004, 09:23 PM

"round-round, baby, round-round"

¥

Shem
20th June 2004, 10:23 PM
now we know who listens to Sugarbabes
(hi yuusen!)

Lance
20th June 2004, 10:35 PM
''... I cant believe we're doing the whole Designers Republic thing again..''
forgive them, lord, for they know not what they do?
they really don't

''round, round, baby, right round''
or Dead or Alive

yuusen
20th June 2004, 11:07 PM

yes, the song did stick in my head, but i am not a fan. girls aloud however... :lol:

i saw the lyric quoted in an indy car game review at eurogamer today, so it had made its ominous return.

EDIT
erm, how did you know it was sugerbabes, shem?

¥

Raelgun
21st June 2004, 12:16 AM
i do not intend to start yet another discussion of DR since there have been more than enough of those here already, but there is one thing i've not seen an answer to: what does the 'mi' in mitDR stand for? or should the question be what does 'mit' stand for? surely not Massachusetts Institute of Technology ;)

yeah always thought "mitDR" was "made in the Designers Republic"...

Shem
21st June 2004, 07:18 AM
yuusen:
uhm....well...my sister listens to it all the time...and.....you know....uhmm....*suddenly points the air, screaming* LOOK! THERE'S AN EAGLE FLYING RIGHT AT YA *runs away*

infoxicated
21st June 2004, 12:53 PM
i saw the lyric quoted in an indy car game review at eurogamer today, so it had made its ominous return.
Which Indy Car game review was that?

Been looking everywhere for a decent preview of IndyCar Series 2005, but all I can find on Eurogamer are preview odds and ends.

G'Kyl
21st June 2004, 01:27 PM
Been looking for a review myself. I only found one in German. In case someone might wanna take a look: http://www.axbserver.de/axb/artikel.php?id=339. Maybe you can run it through one of the online transla.tion programs... ;) Their bottom line is: Great game, but only for a limited audience (surprise, surprise). Graphics and sound are so-so (again, I say) and we now have XBL-multiplayer for up to 12 drivers. They gave it 82%. The only problem is that the reviewer hardly ever mentions part 1 and what has changed from there to "2005" (i.e. has probably never laid hands on the predecessor), except for saying that 2005 has multiplayer support (actual news anyone? ;] ).
My guess would be: Better stick with IndyCar Series until 2005 becomes affordable. It seems to be a great IndyCar game, but so was part 1, which I still play enthusiastically.

Ben

yuusen
21st June 2004, 04:33 PM

i checked back to eurogamer (http://eurogamer.net/review_archive.php?select=archive&filter=PS2&starts_with=i) to see which one it was. turns out its series 2003.

but by the way... XBOX WILL EAT ITSELF (http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55856).

¥

G'Kyl
21st June 2004, 05:03 PM
Ah, I don't think downward compatibility is a must for consoles. First, the XBox wasn't THAT much of a success anyway and second, they better deliver a great machine without making compromises in order to let ppl play their old games on the Box2. Also, and apart from PS2, which consoles ever let you play games from their predecessor machines? I can only think of one other - GBA.

yuusen
21st June 2004, 05:34 PM

yes, a very good point g'kyl.

however, if micro$oft (i said i would never do that, oh well) plan to release the xbox2 way before the ps3—making it the first 5th generation console on the market, counting from the nes—then it would be possible, no, probable, no, definite that it will be compared to the ps2 (the first of the 4th gen consoles). ps2 had back-compat, xbox2 wont, customers will notice the difference, theyll shell out anyway, play the same games they played the year before only spiffier, carry on none the wiser. okay, thats coming from a pessimistic and slightly cynical viewpoint.

from a developer viewpoint (and i am reciting something i read recently, cant quite remember where) the xbox2 will need hugely fast hardware to develop for. hardware that isnt easily nor cheaply available. suddenly, all the developers will need to start learning about and developing for another i.e, additional (remember, the xbox2 will be sold alongside the xbox), not just progressive platform. that means more money shelled out. will the devco.s like this? i cant tell for i am but a lonely shepherd that likes to push polygons around a glass bowl and cannot project nor predict the high level decisions made by international, million dollar creative companies.

what i can guess is that the xbox2 may even be totally overlooked (again, just reciting in my own voice) while people wait for the much cooler ps3 and that it will only be until the ps3 starts rolling into developers laps that the hardware needed to develop games of such computational intensity will be practically viable. then i reckon is the time that xbox2 will start to be taken seriously, so long as theres some left after all the chewing.

¥

G'Kyl
7th July 2004, 05:28 PM
Been looking everywhere for a decent preview of IndyCar Series 2005, but all I can find on Eurogamer are preview odds and ends.

Hi infox, just stumbled over the Gamespot Review. Must have gotten online today, since I last checked their page last night.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/indycarseries2005/review.html

Lance
7th July 2004, 05:55 PM
''ps2 (the first of the 4th gen consoles).''
the Dreamcast was the first of the 4th gen, the ubermaschinen

and a lot of people sat on their wallets and waited for the PS2. wrong thing to do in my opinion

infoxicated
7th July 2004, 07:09 PM
Hi infox, just stumbled over the Gamespot Review. Must have gotten online today, since I last checked their page last night.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/indycarseries2005/review.html

Thanks, my friend - I already bought the game a week or so ago after getting a refund for Driver 3/10 :D

G'Kyl
7th July 2004, 07:56 PM
Oha! Could you maybe post a short review and most of all give an idea of what exactely is different to ICS 2003 in terms of the driving model, AI, set-up options and the like? I found nothing in the two reviews I have read so far and am a bit short on money to buy the game without knowing precisely what's in it.

infoxicated
8th July 2004, 08:48 AM
I'll try to knock up something today if I can, but I'm going away for four days, so it might need to wait until next week.

G'Kyl
10th July 2004, 02:19 PM
Don't hurry, I don't plan on buying the game before next month or so. Though I am looking forward to what you have to say about the game. :)

Oh, and since Gamespy and IGN now too have their reviews of ICS2005 online, here's a small excerpt from the latter: "What I found very, very helpful is the Masterclass feature, i.e. the tutorial mode. [...] I raced around like a fool before hitting this mode, which explained the importance of [...] how to use the track's colored sections to your benefit. I never knew that the blackened sections of the track contain burnt off rubber that fills in the grooves of the track; this is important because those sections provide more grip than the lighter sections." I was like 'Tell me I haven't just read that from a race game reviewer...' when I realized what I'd seen. ;-)

Ben

Lion
15th October 2004, 12:45 PM
i do not intend to start yet another discussion of DR since there have been more than enough of those here already, but there is one thing i've not seen an answer to: what does the 'mi' in mitDR stand for? or should the question be what does 'mit' stand for? surely not Massachusetts Institute of Technology ;)yeah always thought "mitDR" was "made in the Designers Republic"......and the newbie takes this further offtopic...
I always thought it was the mighty DR... that's how I read it on the back of the w'o"2097 soundtrack album: "THE miTDR."