PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Wip3out moment?

Black Funkster
11th June 2004, 11:34 AM
I fired this topic up on another site :) ; but I got no replies :( , except one to go here :D . So here I am. I know Fusion has taken precedence over this (not that i've gotten to try it) but I'll ask this anyway. Post in those moments which made you punch the air with glee, or those that made you sing out the words to "Firestarter" :evil: (yes I know thats on the Wipeout 2097/XL soundtrack) whilst screaming down a straightway. One of my favs is in Eliminator mode, when you launch off about 5 Quake Disruptors in a row, and watch all these ships in front of you blow up at once. :lol: Nice.

science
12th June 2004, 09:55 PM
Any moments like that have usually come up against another person when I first started playing. One of the most satisfying things I've experienced is taking a friend out with a perfectly aimed rocket in the home stretch of the final lap. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who lives close by that plays anymore, so any time that I play it's just to beat my own personal times. ::Insert shameless and blatant promotion of the DexDrive here::
As for WO Fusion, you wont find too many people who think that WoF takes presidence over 3. This community very rarely speaks of that game anymore... welcome to the forums BTW :D

Black Funkster
13th June 2004, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Wow, so Wip3out still reigns? Why, was it because Fusion was bad or sumthing? I know The Designers Republic didn't work on Fusion, the way they worked on 2097 and Wip3out. Would that have anything to factor as well?

Lance
13th June 2004, 05:33 AM
Fusion isn't highly regarded by the hardcore. but no tDR participation is not the reason. it's just that the game has at least one serious bug, and a bunch of less than ideal choices were made in game physics, track design, and records-keeping

btw, howdy :)

Dimension
25th September 2004, 12:45 AM
Greatest wip3out moment for me was way back when I first got the game, had a two player game against a friend, sampa run in venom. Basically it was all going well, I was winning by a fair amount coming out of the last curve until I noticed that I had not enough energy to boost while my friend had full shield energy. Sure enough, as expected he thrashed the hyerthrust only to lose by a tenth of a second :P Good moment :lol:

Zero [RG] [HG]
15th March 2005, 09:24 PM
Ah, mine was to pick up a plasma bolt, call it a plasma rifle, and nail that craft in front of me with it.

:D

RJ O'Connell
1st April 2005, 03:43 PM
My greatest WO3 moments...hmm, well, probably my first perfect lap at P-mar, eliminating 3 people in a regular race with Plasma Bolts, and the first time I was able to hotlap without using any airbrake (How in the world do you do that with an Icaras?!?!?)

Chill
1st April 2005, 03:54 PM
Honestly, there are to many great WO3 moments I have had to remember, or should I say, the whole game is one big great moment for me? :P

Mobius
1st April 2005, 03:58 PM
When I first played the demo - has to be

Roger
1st April 2005, 05:26 PM
When I bought Wip3out - everything's been roses since then :D

Leftism
2nd April 2005, 06:51 PM
When I first played the demo - has to be

Getting the demo disc ut of the Official UK Playstation Magazine when it was still a decent read and realising that this is the future of gaming and racing, and that the future wasn't going to be as dark or as grim as a weekend trip to Coventry as predicted by BladeRunner or ITV News. Now Im not so sure, but that's still something I remember.

When you completed a race in the demo it would give you a cheat, thought that was odd considering the game hadn't come out then.

username
16th June 2005, 08:31 PM
my best moment was when i was in a race against a friend and i fell off the track, when the little crane-copter put me back on the track i landed directly on my mates ship.
somehow they got locked togeather and he was destroyed and i flew out of the game and was put on the track again and won!! :D

Lance
16th June 2005, 10:01 PM
lol
classic!

zargz
16th June 2005, 10:43 PM
some of my greatest wo"moments, along with a couple of stins, can you see (=download) on the Scottish repport (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2024&start=100) thread for about 7 more days.
I'm especially fond of the tr_cheeky race! 8)

btw a cool thing happened some days ago.
I was racing on the 4th prototype and on the last S before the sraight I accidentaly was on my way into the pitlane
so I turned hard right and hit the nose hard on the 'divider' of the track and pitlane, or the right wall
of the entrance to the pitlane. So I made it back to the straight (anybody got this???!! 8O)
anyway ALL the way along the pitlane the cam was stuck in the 'pitlaneview' so I saw
my ship from an almost 90¤ angle from the inside of the pit!
Hoe cool was that? :D

Lance
17th June 2005, 12:01 AM
was this in 3SE or standard?

zargz
17th June 2005, 01:46 AM
Actually I don't remember :|
I've been playing both a lot lately checking and trying stuff for that modify thread on the SE forum ..
But I guess the cam wasn't changed from 3 to SE :roll:

Snapper
24th June 2005, 11:11 PM
My favorite wipeout moment was in Wipeout 64, and I shot up 4 planes with my feisars machine gun, destroyed 2, 1 crashed into a wall and was eliminated, and the other one tore backwards.

Man, I used to go nuts when I saw that little orange sign come up in that weapon box :twisted:

Lance
24th June 2005, 11:50 PM
well, yeah, that's great, but what's your ''Greatest Wip3out moment'' [Wipeout 3] as it says in the title of this thread?
i had several, the first of which was in my first ever Wipeout run on any version, when i sat on the starting grid at Porto Kora and heard the unique sounds of Wipeout while looking ahead to see all the ships floating above the track, and later as i raced, feeling and hearing the completely convincing scrape of the ship against a curve, and experiencing the quiet in the cockpit of an anti-grav racing machine. totally different experiences to anything i'd had before. those were the first, but there were several others involving first wins and records and Phantom speed

Snapper
25th June 2005, 01:14 AM
my bad :(

I haven't played Wipeout 3... do you reccomend it?

Lion
25th June 2005, 02:13 AM
the consensus round here seems to be that we'd recommend pretty much all but fusion
personally I prefer the style they went for in 2097, but the presentation was generally better in 3 (mainly due to higher res textures and evolution of the game engine)
I have wipeout, 2097, wip3out (SE) and pure, they all get played regularly for various reasons.

Lance
25th June 2005, 03:27 AM
oh, yes, i recommend it very much, Snapper; it's one of the greatest games i've played. WO2, too

Smoothly Does It
4th June 2006, 11:06 AM
Had a great moment last night in/on W3O, upped the ante at Mega Mall by over a second. Doesn't sound that great, right? Well I did it while listening to a CD of Underworld live performances I burnt, did it during the last 3 minutes of the final track: Cowgirl [Rez] (my personal favourite of all their back-catalogue)

The moment was one of those you probably had to be there to appreciate; the accentuation of the rhythm, melodies and harmonies added to as close to a perfect race as I ever expect to get (laps 2-5 were all sub 30 second-ers) and it made for one of those moments that make the weeks of bad TTing and poor performance, even under the stimulation of Red Bull all seem worth it!

Now guys, don't tell me in the year this topic's been stagnant, you've not had any W3O moments to remember at all!

England expects every man to share his story!

Zerow
4th June 2006, 10:47 PM
Has to be racing Manor Top for the first time in Phantom class for me. Pure bliss. 8)

Mad-Ice
5th June 2006, 10:59 AM
Houwdy all

My greatest moments in WO3. The time my ship did a barrelroll on the finishline on Porto Kora, that was amazing!! The other time was when i found out that i could fly over the difficult chicane in P-mar Project straight into the rightcorner before the tunnel :hyper !!!

Asayyeah
6th June 2006, 03:05 PM
yeah i remember a great moment i didn't expected , it was on hi fumi into the tunnel after the beginning : got a cool combo turbo + AP that let me cross the wall without the wuss wagon picked me up , going out perfectly from this hard tunnel with maximum speed .
Ive tried hundreds time to do this again , with no luck :robot

btw Ali the Smooth aka Blondie : 2.30.04 mega mall :rock you rock dude !!
getting 5 sec on my previous best and more than 10 sec to Al sartwell : this is scary :dizzy
Congratulations
( and what about your ***kin' black-out internet connection? dya think we got a chance to play again through msn one day ? )

Mad-Ice
19th June 2006, 08:45 PM
Another very cool moment was when i found the code to get the link mode, so we could get a real nice multiplayer game with our own full screen.

@Oldasayyeah: I think we can play on msn again. I lost my connection big time. It's really hard to get Xlink kai running to play wipeout. I'am lost with it.

Greetings Mad-Ice

lunar
22nd June 2006, 05:09 PM
Mad-Ice, add me to MSN and if I see you online maybe I can help you out with Kai.

to stay on-topic, my most eyeball popping moment was when I learned that, in Phantom class, you can go off the last jump of Terramax and fly the entire start/finish straight, landing near the top of the hill. When I discovered this by accident it was quite stunnning. I tried a few times to fly all the way to the tunnel, but not sure if this is doable. Not exactly on topic as it`s the wrong game, but I`m too crap at Wipeout3 to have had any amazing moments in it.

stin
22nd June 2006, 07:24 PM
That I gotta to look at! and thanxs for the findings cos anything is possible!

stevie:)

Asayyeah
25th June 2006, 01:32 AM
@Oldasayyeah: I think we can play on msn again. I lost my connection big time. It's really hard to get Xlink kai running to play wipeout. I'am lost with it.Greetings Mad-Ice
Don't worry Matthijs , as i told you i planned to go to visit you with Marie , it should have been this week but she & me are extremely busy for different reasons , but we should be ok after the 5th of July
So i can get my dlink with me + driver and set it up for you on your pc : you just need to find one after i came :)
i ve done that with Stevie when i came to Scotland few months ago, and now he is playing with us ( with success ;) )

Stephen : about terramax , try to land not too much on the top on the hill so that you can avoid bottoming out , maintain high speed for getting a great flight over the tunnel ( becareful the game is often freezing in sr mode when you get an AP for perfect landing after flying all the way over the tunnel )
you can land after the last left turn into the tunnel.

Mad-Ice
26th June 2006, 02:44 PM
For Lunar:

Thanks mate, I will add you to my msn list and hope to see you soon on Kai. Oldasayyeah is coming to visit me, so that is settled i hope!!! Couldn't find you on the frappr map though?!

For Oldasayyeah:

Thanks mate for the reply. Hope to see you soon in the land beneath the sea, bring some oxygen just to be sure!!!

Greetings Mad-Ice

eLhabib
26th June 2006, 03:55 PM
he doesn't breathe. ever. could distract him from his perfect racing line.

;)

Asayyeah
26th June 2006, 04:57 PM
you know me perfectly :p

Mad-Ice
27th June 2006, 11:56 AM
First aid please!!!!

Smoothly Does It
28th June 2006, 10:34 AM
on hi fumi into the tunnel after the beginning : got a cool combo turbo + AP that let me cross the wall without the wuss wagon picked me up , going out perfectly from this hard tunnel with maximum speed .
Ive tried hundreds time to do this again , with no luck :robot

You're saying you engaged the AP and it took you on a straight line, clean through the wall and onto the straight with slow bends straight afterwards? Crazy :dizzy Sounds like the one-time shortcutting case on TR that you went crazy over, heheh.

For MSN, probably not any time soon, got screwed over by NTL (cut off my I-net connection then charged me for the next two months LOL,) so fsck 'em. Don't plan on getting an I-net connection any time soon, those heady days and nights of record setting will have to be consigned to the past, heh.

@ Mad-:cold

I remember a discussion once about ships that barrel-roll on the finish that figured out that it's missiles and such hitting the ship as it goes into autopilot on the finish line. Can't find the topic now though, but it's not something i've ever seen :frown:

lunar
28th June 2006, 04:22 PM
So Matthijs you`re going to let the crazy Frenchman fix up your PC for Kai? I can only say that I hope you took out the extended guarantee when you were in the shop. ;)

I know you won`t be upset Arnaud because you`re a very happy man after last night. And really I`m only kidding, Matthijs, he`ll fix you up for Kai just fine :)

sorry, I haven`t put myself on the map just yet. :redface: I live near Swindon and the nearest WZ member to me would be Mo, Element 42. Arnaud and I were talking about a UK Wipeout get together next year, and really we must make this happen one day. Maybe we will create some more greatest Wip3out moments...... (in a feeble and transparent attempt to stay on topic) :paperbag

I`m sorry for you internet problems, Ali, I was really hoping you could join us on Xlink and MSN more often.

Ali and Asa: Just getting through that pain in the *** narrow bit of Hi Fumii without hitting the wall counts as a great Wip3out moment for me, though I`ve hardly played it since I got a negcon, and it must be a lot easier to pitch up and get through there unscathed with a neg.

Lance
28th June 2006, 07:35 PM
:) That effort was so transparent that I couldn't even see it coming. But I already gave up on trying to keep this one ontopic. I should just rename it as 'chat' if that is possible with the vB software.

I'm a mod on another forum with over 4000 members and more than 300,000 posts in six months, and the chatting on the main chat thread sometimes has added more than one-hundred pages per day when it was really hot. So I have become a bit more inured to chat, though I am still a total hardass over there about keeping the serious threads ontopic. You should see all the offtopic posts I've deleted. They call me the Lancinator over there, too. ;D
But I'm only one of several active mods.

I've had many great Wip3out moments, but the most meaningful one was the very first lap I ever flew. Hooked. Unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. It felt real. But not the world I live in every day. A new world.

Zerow
28th June 2006, 10:44 PM
I can remember trying out the Icaras ship for the first time in Phantom class. At first, it was like trying to control an angry bull! :dizzy

But then I managed to get the hang of it. I could streak through some of the tracks like a bullet. It was a very triumphant moment for me. :D

Mad-Ice
29th June 2006, 01:28 PM
At Smoothly Does It: I am sure I was not using auto-pilot while I did the barrelroll on Porto Kora, because I never use auto-pilot. The first time I did an auto-pilot I felt ashamed and didn't save the new record.

At Lunar: It will be OK for the Crazy Frenchman to come in my hometown called HereYouGoWeird! About a get together of Wipeout-pilots i will be there for sure, count me in.

Asayyeah
29th June 2006, 07:59 PM
*working secretly for D-link Cie to raise the production of DWL to a maximum all over Europe; my mission ? install Kai everywhere at any price*... and probably play W30 emulator on psp to have W30 greatest moments again
Couldn't write more transparent than mate Lunar so i ve choosen the minimalisation way :paperbag

dreamerx
29th June 2006, 08:42 PM
At Smoothly Does It: I am sure I was not using auto-pilot while I did the barrelroll on Porto Kora, because I never use auto-pilot. The first time I did an auto-pilot I felt ashamed and didn't save the new record.

I never use auto-pilot too, because of same reason like You.

My best W3O moments are few years ago when I do my first perfect laps. But I enjoy W3O:SE a lot for today. I have console near PC so I can quickly turn on everything, play for 20 minutes, turn everything off and back to "work".

PS. Sorry for my poor english ...

Smoothly Does It
5th July 2006, 10:19 AM
No worries dreamerx, welcome to WOZ by the way.

Mad-Ice, you don't have to have auto-pilot on at the finish line, I mean that when you finish the race, the ship hovers around on AutoPilot and if you've ever used autopilot in-race and been hit by a weapon, you'll see the ship go crazy. I think that's what causes it.

Lunar, that bit still gets me all the time, even with ma neggeh so you're not alone on that one :brickwall

Mad-Ice
5th July 2006, 11:43 AM
Yes i now that the ship goes crazy when you are hit by a weapon when in auto-pilot. That did happen to me once or twice on accident.
But anyway, the only other thing i can remember was doing a perfect session on phantom class.

Asayyeah
5th July 2006, 12:04 PM
lol i was far from perfect session last night on porto Kora , first attempt : 2.22.00 :redface: , something like 50 sec from your Wrecord race 'Ali the smooth'
Made my first PL ( 19.12 ) at race N°3 and lowered my race time at 1.43.44.
ok always 8 sec from our 1.35 into the W3O tables but had a great enjoyment by that quick 40 min session. Another cool moment spent with W3O :p

Smoothly Does It
6th July 2006, 02:10 PM
I thought you didn't play F-Z2-1ro, Arnaud? :dizzy

Still, good that you're playing again, can't argue with that :rolleyes:

Asayyeah
6th July 2006, 07:35 PM
my best neggie among the 3 doesn't work with W30 :( , i cannie change the button configuration and the neggie has got some weird handling on the track.
My old one is perfect for 2097 but i cannie find a good dead spot on it :(
My last which was near brand new , got a strange feeling when i racing.... something similar to a black voodoo done on it ...:bat

Lance
30th July 2006, 04:36 PM
Gentlemen, the topic is ''Greatest Wip3out Moment''. Could we return to that please?

daminmancejin
31st July 2006, 11:41 PM
i just got it today and played it wow this game it fast some of the ships look better and the tracks are awsome! the music is ok i love the lady voice when she say 3 2 1 go! very sexy

daminmancejin
19th August 2006, 05:14 AM
greatest moment is on track SAMPA RUN takeing them big drops and bouncing on the ramps i love that

Zerow
19th August 2006, 11:01 PM
Hehe, I love the jumps and bumpy parts of Sampa Run too, particuarly at the faster speeds. :D

daminmancejin
21st August 2006, 07:14 PM
heck ya its so fun looking at the ship bounce

Medusa
3rd December 2006, 09:00 PM
I have two greatest wip3out moments which are equally great to me: my best time on Portokora, in an Icaras in venom class, with "perfect lap" on the screen...it is absolute bliss to be flying through Portokora, you can even fly "through" the walls in the tunnel, ie. with half your ship in the wall but no bumping if you get it right, oh so sweet...
The other greatest moment involves the otherwise hated wuss wagon. I have yet to master Terminal. So imagine my dismay when I have gotten an autopilot and used through the tough s-curve section, am flying up through the tunnel, and am on the last curve before the finish line AND flying through the wall when suddenly the game decides i shouldn't be allowed to fly through walls. The wuss wagon snatches me out of mid-air (no crash or anything) and places me down directly on the double turbo-weapon pad combo right outside of the curve-here's the kicker...
when put down on the track my ship goes immediately to max speed, ie ship shaking from the speed - not like a turbo start from the beginning of a race, but MAX SPEED. wow so sweet.
I still stink at Terminal but that race gave me my fastest time yet(3:10:50)and my fastest lap was the wuss wagon lap at 0:35:44 in my precious AG sys.:nod I am still smiling...

Max A K Challie
6th December 2006, 09:57 AM
Well done.

My favorite moment was probably when I was doing hard corners perfectly, airbraking around them while looking at nothing but the apex as it turned around was such a cool feeling. Also loving Xpander for the first time.

Silverstream
6th December 2006, 11:30 AM
Favourite moment for me was racing on Manor Top in Phanton for the first time. Rushing through the 90° turns at ridiculous speeds was an unrivalled experience.

Failing that, just the sense of accomplishment after finally unlocking everything!

Max A K Challie
6th December 2006, 09:04 PM
i love the lady voice when she say 3 2 1 go! very sexy

Hahaha. That is funny. I find that most female voice overs in WipEout games are sexy.

Sausehuhn
6th December 2006, 09:55 PM
agreed :D
Fusion's best at this point... guess who's saying "engaged" when I start Windows and "disengaging" when shutting down :D

username
7th December 2006, 12:24 AM
agreed :D
Fusion's best at this point... guess who's saying "engaged" when I start Windows and "disengaging" when shutting down :D

yes! that is what i have done too!, i even made it say warning when bullgard detects a virus! its soo cool

Task
7th December 2006, 07:44 AM
The most memorable moment in W3O for me is probably one that didn't even happen to me, I was just in the same race.

So my buddy and I, we're playing "The Megamall Classic" (8-point Venom Eliminator) and I'm in my Goteki and he's in some high-accel ship.
As I catch up to him I hit him with a weapon (rockets or something that slows him down considerably but has no other serious effect) and he fires a plasma he's been saving for the occasion as I pass by.
He's going real slow when he fires it, but he's full-on the accelerator and hits a boost pad.
Which gets him right up to top speed real quick.
Catching up to his own Plasma.
Eliminating himself with his own Plasma!

The game ended shortly therafter, mostly because we were laughing too hard to drive straight, and the best part was that he actually got a point for eliminating himself! Theoretically, he could have won himself the game with that maneuver.

I've had all manner of great races and adrenalin-laced Time Trials, but the event that I remember most... is that one.

Silverstream
7th December 2006, 10:06 AM
yes! that is what i have done too!, i even made it say warning when bullgard detects a virus! its soo cool

That's brilliant! I've just found the sound effects for Wip3out are available for download on the main site, so I might do it myself.

Asayyeah
7th December 2006, 09:02 PM
Eliminating himself with his own Plasma!

Splendid!! How can you stay serious with that Pure Pearl ! Truly Memorable moment i reckon

Flying_Finn
10th February 2007, 05:52 PM
My awesome moment in W3O: I did 3 perfect laps in a row in Phantom class at Manor Top, with my favorite AG-racer Assegai. The last one was my lap record, 0:26.32. I was really flying trough the course.