PDA

View Full Version : For all you Wip3out art anoraks out there...

psygsy
8th June 2004, 12:20 PM
Let it be known that a good deal of the visual elements that you all seem to love (ie: Curly, Angryman, the DR bits and bobs) were Nicky and Mike's idea. Mike is the guy from DR who created the fonts and identities in 2097 and Wip3out. NB: He left DR before Fusion was created. Nicky brought her talents from 2097(Liverpool) to Leeds and without her, I doubt Leeds would have done Wip3out...
Funnily enough, Fusion had one or two people working on it left over from the 2097 days. Anyone with their nose in the credits should be able to make these connections, but I thought i'd just point them out.

G'Kyl
8th June 2004, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the WOZ, psygsy!

I know there there are a few people that have worked on various versions of Wipeout. So there's always been a small connection between the different games. But as for the majoritiy of staff, they changed most of it between 2097and W3O as well as W3O and Fusion, which is evident in the games, at least as far as I feel about them.

Ben

faB
8th June 2004, 02:08 PM
I would like to know how Designers Republic worked with the Pysgnosis studio for the design of the game. Did they happen to be part of the artists working on the game? Were they commissioned? How does that work ? Where does DR's intervention begin and end ?

Lance
8th June 2004, 03:09 PM
some of us think that DR is too often given credit for things that they didn't actually do, but which were done by the artists/designers of what used to be Psygnosis in Liverpool and Leeds. please give us the info as you see it. who did what? btw, if you're willing to say, what's your name and your function in the gaming world? it helps to evaluate statements when we know who's making them. :)
welcome to the WZ forums, psygsy :)

psygsy
8th June 2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome y'all. Please pardon the long reply:

BEn/G'kyl: You're spot on. After 2097, Psygnosis grew. People moved on. This makes it even more difficult to keep to the original concept when teams are rebuilt. Everyone has their own ideas and evolution can be funny sometimes...

faB: DR were comissioned. But with each new version comes renegotiation. Needless to say the relationship between Sony and DR was becoming frayed well before Fusion...What worked so well about 2097 and Wip3out was the relationship between the Lead Artist at Sony (Nicky) and the designer at DR (Mike). For all you fans of trivia out there: did you know they ended up getting married? Mike's since started up on his own. Check <http://www.designbybuild.com> to reassure yourselves. You can't mistake his style.

Lance: Do you give away names here? I believe if it weren't for the vision and style of Nicky and Mike, (and Jim Bowers concepts and FMV) we wouldn't be here and this forum never would have been the colossus it's turned into. There are so many others who deserve credit for these games. I could waffle on forever.
OOps, and pardon the single edit. I think I should also mention Lee Carus and Nick Burcombe as well...just 'cos.

Lance
8th June 2004, 07:01 PM
you're welcome

long reply? i live for long replies. this one is a mere brief excerpt; you should see some of the essays we get here. :)

some of the longer-term members have heard of the Nicky-Mike merger, but most probably haven't.

there are always arguments here about who did what when it comes to DR involvement. some of their fans like to think that they designed the entire game, including the ships and the tracks, so i and some others are always looking for who really did what and did DR just do logos and billboards or did they design the shape of the ships? that sort of thing. so far it seems pretty clear that they did not design the ships, but it's always difficult to come by the solid information we fanboys/fangirls love.

many of us give away our actual names, including Nick and Jim and Lee and Wayne. in fact Jim uses Jim Bowers as his username, his nick, but unfortunately he's only posted on one occasion. too busy doing matte paintings for the movies, i guess. :)

man, you'd bEtter mention Nick and Lee. :D

yuusen
9th June 2004, 05:57 PM

so _that_'s who build is!

psygsy, i cannot thank you enough for bringing that connection to light.

welcome to the w3zf!

¥

Thruster2097
12th December 2004, 12:03 PM
:lance
Reading in-between the lines, I believe that member :psygsy is actually requesting a mention of the crew who made the wipeout games on our "credits/thanks to" page.

Any chance that can be done?

Lance
12th December 2004, 12:11 PM
that would be a question for Rob, since i have no control access on anything but the forum pages

infoxicated
12th December 2004, 12:19 PM
Not yet, but the mods will be getting a content managment system in the next upgrade.

Then you'll have no excuse! ;)

It is a good idea to have a Wipelopaedia of some sort... compiling it all could be tedious, though. Just a question of going through the manuals and compiling all the credits, I guess. :)

Lance
12th December 2004, 12:23 PM
man, you are getting lazier every year. ;)
foisting the work of the main site on us poor overworked forum mods/admins! [exhausted!]
:roll: ;)

edit: [rubs hands and grins with glee] Piranha switch, here we come!

although that next upgrade could take a couple of years

infoxicated
12th December 2004, 12:32 PM
Nah, it's always an xmas/new year project.

I like to start off the new year by giving the site an overhaul. This year will be no different. :)

Lance
12th December 2004, 12:36 PM
version 3 took awhile, however, though it goes against my nature, i'll be optimistic. which means i'd better start finding xEik to do a bit of records tables wizardry. it would take too long for me to learn the code so i could modify it

infoxicated
12th December 2004, 12:40 PM
Version three was a total re-write of version 2.5 - which should have been version 3, but I changed so little that it felt a bit like cheating to call it version 3.

That's the reason it took so long last year - the site was such a frickin' house of cards that I couldn't bring myself to do anything about it, and when I did I ended up having to ditch a whole lot and start again.

xEik
13th December 2004, 10:31 AM
Content management is one thing. Modifying the site's functionality is a different one.
Rob has already said before he prefers to be the only one in charge of the later. A decission I understand and respect.

On a side note, is a fansite allowed to post copyrighted content in the mainsite? Posting a tracklist in a post of the forum is acceptable. Copying a part of the manual into the main site makes me wary. After all, the manual's content or some other kind of media is the property of SCEE.

infoxicated
13th December 2004, 10:40 AM
All those guys who do the same over at gamefaqs.com better start running for the hills, then. :D

mid
3rd February 2005, 01:40 PM
If you're not supposed to post detailed credits lists without copyright owner permission, I suspect the IMDb would have found out long ago...

Thanks enormously for the info about Build - I recognised the style ages ago, but just assumed that it was another instance of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, rather than Mike actually set up on his own.