PDA

View Full Version : Favourite/Least Favourite Track

G'Kyl
3rd June 2004, 04:00 PM
To cut right to the chase: Who voted for Gare d'Europa as the least fav. track?!

;)

OK, seriously. I wonder what bad could be said about that track. I always thought it's one of the better ones - with a nice design, a lot of fast turns and some tighter corners to make it interesting. Is it not?

Ben

lunar
3rd June 2004, 04:55 PM
Gare d`Europa is a sublime track all the way..... blasting out of the red tunnel and swinging wide over the train, then the toboggan ride downhill.... pitch up and into the the S-tunnels ....so satisfying to nail in a Qirex.... and then OUT, hit the turbo.. up up and AWAY into the sky above Paris..... who could fail to be romanced by this experience? Well obviously someone anyway. :( The one puzzling thing about the track is it seems to defy the laws of physics and space, and lose much much more height than it gains. Exactly where do you gain the height for the big jump? Must be that old Parisian magic again. :wink:

Glad to see Odessa Keys getting the caning it deserves. :P

I must consider my votes now..... 8) Unlike voting for the euro-parliament.... this responsibility must not be taken lightly.

vincoof
4th June 2004, 08:26 AM
Gare d'Europa is great, but so does every other track in W'O"2.
It's just impossible to vote since no track really stands out IMHO. Neither standing out for fave nor for least fave.
I think it means I won't be eligible to win. Why isn't it a "no preference" option in the vote list ?

G'Kyl
4th June 2004, 08:39 AM
Probably because it wouldn`t help finding a winner. ;)

A agree, all tracks in 2097 are well designed. Except for Odessa Keys, that is. In fact, I get the feeling the designer of that track slightly overestimated what can be done with the 2097 engine. The idea behind it is fantastic - it`s just that it cannot be mastered with the common 2097 craft.

Ben

Shem
4th June 2004, 09:39 AM
Wow, I was shocked reading your previous posts about Gare'D Europa, becouse it was
I who voted for this track (I admit...even if it takes to lose the chances of winning some kewl stuff...). Why you ask? Becouse I thought I was voting for my FAVOURITE track of WO2097. When I looked again at the topic which was "LEAST FAVOURITE" :oops: ....So it was just a mistake. Dat's all.

infoxicated
4th June 2004, 12:01 PM
I think it means I won't be eligible to win. Why isn't it a "no preference" option in the vote list ?
Because you're being asked to make a decision to determine the most favourite track.

What if everyone voted for "I have no preference" - what sort of result wout that be?

A pointless one, really.

piranha wiper
4th June 2004, 01:44 PM
gare'd europa is on of the best rapier tracks but oddessa keys is rock hard and very annoying, still think valparaiso is best still in a jungle place best piranha track

vincoof
14th June 2004, 12:33 AM
What if everyone voted for "I have no preference" - what sort of result wout that be?
A pretty boring poll unfortunately, but a representative poll nonetheless.
Submitting blank votes in the current voting system (in our so-called democratic world) is just like not voting. But in fact blank votes should be taken into account. Blah, I'm just off topic once again and pessimistic on top of that. i8that

faB
14th June 2004, 01:51 PM
Odessa Keys for me is still a good Wo2097 track. Took a while to get used to it. I liked the first jump, how to find the perfect speed and pitch to avoid crashing on the hill with the blue pads, then the hard turn after the descent, and the difficult broken parts at the end. Took a while to find the right speed to fly them smoothly instead of bumping on the walls. Once you find how to fly them smoothly with any ship, it doesnt matter if you can achieve your maximum PIRANHA speed. The point is to achieve your best on THAT track.

I voted Odessa Keys just 'cause I dont like it as much as the others, but I love all the wo2097 tracks.

Zero [RG] [HG]
2nd February 2005, 09:23 PM
>_<
Odessa Keys is like... very annoying...
Gare D'Europa is my favorite.
It's like... the best.
Whooooooo!

mid
4th February 2005, 01:18 PM
I confess it's a good year since I last played it (while I since picked up the PS release, most of my 2097 time was spent on the PC, which stopped being playable once I upgraded). But as much as I adore Gare D'Europa, I do have a whinge.

Those blimmin' bumps just before the big jump. They seem to serve no useful purpose other than to pointlessly punish those who haven't mastered vertical control yet. One or two would be fine, but there are so many that it's a killer for those without the 'knack', and once you do have it, then it's just basically a rather dull, picky bit of straight. Technical, but not much fun.

Still, then you hit the big air, and you've forgiven it again. Plus, the sharp drop-turn left will be here again, and it's possibly my fave corner of any Wipeout ever.

G'Kyl
4th February 2005, 01:47 PM
Those blimmin' bumps just before the big jump. They seem to serve no useful purpose other than to pointlessly punish those who haven't mastered vertical control yet. One or two would be fine, but there are so many that it's a killer for those without the 'knack', and once you do have it, then it's just basically a rather dull, picky bit of straight. Technical, but not much fun.

Quite right, it's not much fun to fly over, but my guess would be that the bumps had to be there in order to prevent players from jumping far too high. You can see what a full-speed jump can do at Phantom when hitting the turbo at the end of the ramp - drivers would be all over the map (literally) but never set down at the straight in front of them. Still, it's one of the most impressive "shortcut jumps" the game has.

Ben

2SU
7th February 2005, 12:51 AM
The concept of Odessa Keys I thinks is cracking. Most of the track is suspended on AG Wing Lift things; which I think is a rather good idea myself. If only 2097 weren't as floaty or the craft so willing to bottom out. I think if the physics were different then odessa keys would be pretty good.

Alas it isn't. :-P

I learned to fly on Gare D'Europa on an ancient Demo 1 CD that came with my PSX from the time of Pandemonium and the like :-P. It was a two lap playable demo; and I still can't finish the rapier level in 1st. (only two laps though).

Cracking track.

Jetlag
10th February 2005, 01:54 PM
I haven't managed to vote, is it still open?

I have to say I would be torn between Sargamartha and Spilskinanke.

G'Kyl
10th February 2005, 02:46 PM
I haven't managed to vote, is it still open?

Nope, the vote has already been closed. :)

I have to say I would be torn between Sargamartha and Spilskinanke.

Cool, same here! I love snow settings and the flow of the Sag. track, whereas Spilskinanke makes great use of all the capabilities of the 2097 engine. Plus, I get quite a kick out of jumping over several platforms and still keeping a smooth racing line. It rarely works, but if so....

Ben