PDA

View Full Version : The music of Wipeout Pure

G'Kyl
2nd June 2004, 08:52 PM
Over the last cigarette I had did some thinking about the new Wipeout and was wondering what kind of music they would give the handheld version of our favourite game. Does it make any sense bying song licenses for a machine that`s not even remotely able to make them sound like they were supposed to sound? I mean, sure, they will add PS2 combatibility, but the game still has to stand on its own on a portable device. I know this is pure (!) ;) speculation, but I still think this poses a serious issue in the development of the game, don`t you think? Actually the limited sound capabilities of the PSP raise my hopes that we will see another in-house soundtrack, since it would be much cheaper and thus much more efficient for Sony.

Ben

xEik
2nd June 2004, 09:28 PM
Or you can play using headphones.
I hate people who play with their GB Advance in the train and oblige you to listen to the coins they are picking while playing Mario.

Rapier Racer
2nd June 2004, 09:44 PM
Actually the limited sound capabilities of the PSP raise my hopes that we will see another in-house soundtrack, since it would be much cheaper and thus much more efficient for Sony.

Was the Wipeout Fusion soundtrack in-house? It was terrible and sort of flat what they need is music like that from WO 3, that game has some really good songs for racing it's that kind of energetic music

Hybrid Divide
2nd June 2004, 10:27 PM
WipEout Fusion's soundtrack was not in-house.

Hope that helps! :D

Lance
2nd June 2004, 10:27 PM
except for the tiny speaker, there should be a high level of sound capability. using headphones would provide good sound, but better yet, eliminating the near worthless speakers so that headphones would be required for sound would mean extra space for something more useful, like oooooh... extra shoulder buttons, sorta

G'Kyl
2nd June 2004, 11:19 PM
That`s right, I don`t think the PSP itself will be bad at producing high quality musis, but the speakers would surely compromise us hearing any of it. ;)

Ricardo, I never really liked the WO3 soundtrack. On the contrary, I thought THAT one was flat compared to WO1 and 2. 1 certainly had the most original score of all Wipeouts, 2 the most powerful one. I happen t have heard the Fusion soundtrack for the first time today and I think it`s not that bad. Would put it on one level with WO3.

Ben

Lance
2nd June 2004, 11:33 PM
i love the soundtrack on WO3

and WO1

G'Kyl
2nd June 2004, 11:50 PM
What I find significant about the WO 3 music is that I don`t particularily like Paul van Dyke and yet think he did the best track for that soundtrack. ;-) Anyway, I know it`s great music, I`m simply not so much into trance as in other electronica. :)

yuusen
3rd June 2004, 05:36 PM

i was always a massive fan of photek on the 2097 soundtrack and would love to see some high quality drum and bass reintroduced to the mix for pure. nothing classicly british though, that stuff is way overcooked in my opinion. i believe concord dawn (new zealand) would do a pretty decent job.

i have a nasty, itchy feeling that there may a bit of a rock influence in a few tracks. this guess is only based on the rise in popularity of rock music in the british music industry recently. faithless have released a rock(ish) remix of their latest track for radio 1 airplay. the prodigy were very ahead of their time in the dance>>rock movement respect, their efforts on 'the fat of the land' illustrate this.

if the game is set to play like its past versions, then maybe its musical artists are going to sound like them too, albeit in their modern form.
-
i remember hearing some garage-esque sounds and rhythms on the fusion soundtrack. that was at a time when garage was hitting a plateau of commercial popularity. drum and bass (mildly) and rock (certainly) are the current flavours of the months and, if the developers decide to repeat their marketing model, are highly likely to appear in the wipeout pure playlist.
-
oh and (holds up his CoLD SToRAGE fan-club scarf)... well you know :)
-
[EDIT] what about a warp (http://www.warprecords.com)/rephlex (http://www.rephlex.com) records exclusive soundtrack? listen here (http://www.bleep.com)

¥

Lance
3rd June 2004, 07:05 PM
i don't have the scarf, but Tim's ''CoLD SToRAGE'' music for the original WipEout is still the best i've heard for a 'futuristic' racing game; it just really sets the right mood, has the right feel. particularly for a dark psychological ambience.

Sascha was very close, though, in that his work for WO3 fit the that particular visual ambience so extremely well. his 'Expander' track still ranks as one of the best pieces of music for anti-grav racing ever.

yuusen
5th June 2004, 03:14 PM

i agree with your opinion on xpander. my victory celebrations are much more expressive and outgoing when that particular track is being played.

i also agree with your take on sasha matching the game's visual ambience, it is exactly what i thought when i first played the game.

what do you reckon to a drum and bass soundtrack for pure, lance? have you had much exposure to it in the usa?

¥

zargz
5th June 2004, 03:41 PM
yuusen said: "i agree with your opinion on xpander. my victory celebrations are much more expressive and outgoing when that particular track is being played."

u do some kinda victory dance? (^_______^)

Im with lance on this1- go CoLD SToRAGE! 8)

from wo3 i enjoyed some tunes the influence beeng my favorite :)
but fr wo1 i liked All of them!
btw on the platina edition of wo1 there were a couple of extra tunes 1of them was Afro somthing
i think they speek some african language or so it seems .. pretty cool! :D

Shem
5th June 2004, 03:43 PM
I stand for Drum N Bass if you ask me (tho no one did:), Photek seemed to be very close to what I imagined as a perfect DNB background for WOXL. But for what it's worth - I'd like to hear Phoneheads and Makai in WOP. I guess that ain't never gonna happen, so I pick Buckfunk3000, and Tipper as my WOP music representatives. But knowing that it ain't gonna happen either, I choose Chemical Brothers as my all time favs....but then again, they haven't invented anything pounding my ears of since "Surrender" and it was like 5 years ago...after all, there's always The Prodigy who'll relese the new album soon..but their new album was postpointed like 3 times now, so I say......(i can go on like this for hours :D )...

yuusen
5th June 2004, 04:08 PM

buckfunk3000! why didnt i think of it before!?

welcome to utopia! where everyone drives a cadillac car and kids are paid with hamburgers!

i take it you have the 'sound off' album, ja?
-
tipper creates some very focussed and heavy breakbeat tracks.

on a breakbeat tangent, i wonder if adam freeland would be interested in doing something antigrav...
-

(i can go on like this for hours :D )...
yeah, twice if required ;)
-

u do some kinda victory dance? (^_______^)
lol, again, twice if required. :lol:

¥

Shem
5th June 2004, 04:26 PM
will someone delete my cloned-by-accident post? I had a lesson, not to refresh after submitting a post :wink: (it'll happen again eventually :) )....

Yep Yuusen, "Sound Off" and "Surrounded" plus some breakbeat sets from like 2002..
Tipper is way too elecronic and twisted than anyone could imagine. What I don't like about him is that sometimes he gets into electro too much, and comparing it to nu school, like Buckfunk3000, I ought to choose Buckfunk3000 as the ultimate provider of the wobbling, distorted, hardcore, reversed, sub-bassed basslines. Tho I really like Drum And Bass (as well as being much into British music in general), I guess, ppl wouldn't be having fun listening to this kind of music. The most obvious eg. would be Rollcage Stage2, which seemed to be a bit away from what we call a decent game electronic music (I liked it a lot:), no one will make me forget Technical Itch - Deadline at 800km/h surrouded by flashy explosions and the feel of total chaos around me).
Perhaps that's why I highly doubt, that there will be DNB in WOP....

Lance
5th June 2004, 05:06 PM
it's taken care of, Shem

------------

concerning DnB, i haven't had much exposure to it, but like most music genres here, it's something you have to seek out. radio just plays the same old same old. uh oh, big lightning storm right now; i better shut down the electrics

G'Kyl
5th June 2004, 06:09 PM
Well, I`m not sure what the current mainstream in electronical music is, but DnB would be great. Fits the WO athmosphere and pumps blood through the veins.
On a more realistic level though I`d stick to the argument that we should be hearing something from CS again. He can do DnB anyway, can`t he?

Shem
5th June 2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks Lance.

U're completley right about the music Lance. The radio plays some awful tune of theirs for a few years now, and what's worst, I doesn't seem to change...The best times of electronica had passed by (speaking in terms of popularity....just recall what was happening back in '97...), now to find a good music is to go underground. I won't even tell how much the underground elecronica (it's just an eg., it might be rock or hip hop as well) is better than the stuff we've been fed by our 'beloved' radio conglomerats. So if you want to listen to good music, you have to seek for it. But when you find it, you will never turn the radio on.
I really don't know what is the mainstream in electronica right now. It's different for different countries, so by far I can tell you that in Poland, electronic music, often mistaken for Techno in general would be the crappy, pounding Trancey music made with some Roland synths, and a drum machine. The kind of music to which you party only when drunk or stoned. And I don't wanna offence any Trance music genre fan out there, becouse there are lots of sub-genres within Trance itself. But this one is the most uncomplicated, unambicious, simply absurdal kind. Like Ozzy Osbourne would say: "It's like being constatly kicked in the head, while the best part of a track is when it ends".
That much for the trends in electronica in my country:) Now to continue with WO. Heh, as you can see, I can't stop myself from writing when it comes to this topic.
Hearing Cold Storage once again would make a full circle in WO music history. Sounds good. But still, I think CS should stick to what he produced so far, becouse as far as I know, he's not a Drum And Bass head. It would be a better idea to let him (what am I talking about? 'let him'? he decides on his own what he is about to produce [at least I hope so]) do his thing, and leave the DNB to those who tend to make good DNB.
All in all, all of us have their own preferences, lately I recorded a DJ set inspired by Wipeout (a copy of it should be in Al's hands soon) and found that the best way to be satisfied with the selction of music tracks fitted to wipeout. But that was just my idea....

QOORA
5th June 2004, 07:06 PM
Well, has anyone heard Polynomial by Aphex Twin?? My dream is to hear that that piece of music in one of the WO games. Actually, I think that this one would fit like a glove in the WO series. I strongly recommend U to listen to this one... U won't regret:)
Althoug the OST from W3 games is top notch I often turn the tracks off and let Polynomial take me into another dimension... or something like that :wink:

yuusen
5th June 2004, 07:48 PM

'polynomial c' (many people leave the c out, thinking its a typo), alongside 'heliospan' (i'll bet thats spelt wrong now) are two of my favourite tracks by the twin. i'd like to think that 'polynomial c' was named after the key it was played in.

'54 cymru beats' would take some beating (no pun intended) as a wipeout track - its twisting, manic rhythms melting into one another is the substance of pure hypnosis.

theres another track that he used to play live when he was playing his 'richard d james' stuff that only lasted for about a minute and a half but was some of the roughest drum and bass i have ever heard in my life. just pure adrenogression.

fact of the day : aphex twin was born and grew up in wales.
-
shem : here in wales, its pretty much the same; although we do get to receive some decent radio 1 essential mixes as well as the one world show, which has some great eclectic and worldly music on it. the breezeblock is great for people who want to start getting into broken beats and all in all the station is pretty dance friendly, albeit a little softcore when it comes to regular musical tangents; most of the time it sticks to a safe common denominator.

as for the underground scene here, its quite hard to find rare records outside the capital city and most of the hill-dwelling public stick to music they have listened to as children, meaning there is no progression on the scene (again, outside the capital).

have you heard of mu-ziq (replace 'mu' with the mathematial mu symbol in your mind) aka mike paradinas? there was a great track of his called 'approaching menace' - its on the lunatic harness album, look it up if you havent already. very ahead of its time.

¥

Lance
5th June 2004, 08:26 PM
''fact of the day : aphex twin was born and grew up in wales.''

<Wales>about half of my ancestral line is cymru [of the cymru, cymric, or something ;) ] though i highly doubt that i'm descended from Owain Glyndwr [or however it's spelled]; they were probably all hill farmers or such. my mom's mom was an Orme, like in Great Orme's Head on the north coast. then there's all those Prices and Joneses and such.</Wales>

yuusen
5th June 2004, 08:34 PM

then your roots grow deeper into this soil than mine.
my blood is half english and half dutch—i was simply born here in order to learn how to escape.
+
when did your mother's side of the family leave wales?

¥

Lance
5th June 2004, 09:43 PM
<off topic[, oh yes, but part of conversation]>
don't know for sure, probably first half of the 19th century, possibly earlier. my mom's father was born in the U.S.A. in the 1860s and so was one of my great-grandmothers on my father's side who was still alive when i was little. much of my family on both sides came from Wales and the rest from Ireland and Scotland and England. the Scottish connection, though, is lowland scots which were actually Saxon in origin. the English part was likely Angle in that particular family rather than Saxon. so a touch of Germanic origin in there from them. everything else Celtic, mostly Cymric rather than Gaelic. oh, and a bit of old Norse [from the Ormes and the Thompsons who settled in Wales and Ireland, respectively]</off topic>

Ally
4th July 2004, 12:53 AM
I think Dave Clarke - Dirtbox is WipEout through and through... Get it off me on soulseek if you want, username "assegai"

-Ally

CoLD SToRAGE
27th July 2004, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence and the scarf flying! :D

We shall see... 8)

ATB,
CoLD SToRAGE.

aka. Tim.

Lance
27th July 2004, 01:25 AM
i hope we shall hear, Tim. good luck to you and us

yawnstretch
27th July 2004, 01:32 AM
Hear hear! ;)

Heres hoping Tim gets involved - best game music evarrr!

ps. anyone have any more news on pure?

Thruster2097
28th July 2004, 03:32 PM
nope, all quiet on the wipeout pure side,.. as a matter of fact, its been all quiet on the whole PSP side now since E3.
I hope it is released soon while the technology is, dare I say it, current, rather than dated.

And BIG UP!!! tim, you know you want to make this game sound as good as it looks, even tho it might be a bit more bippy than usual..

G'Kyl
28th July 2004, 07:00 PM
Ah, better let them get PSP right than giving away "information" of a product that's not even close to being released yet. :) And compared to other important handhelds (read: GBA ;) ) PSP technology will still be current if it were to be released 5 years from now. :)

xqpx
6th August 2004, 12:56 AM
I just bought Wipeout XL. I heard Cold Storage for the first time. Now I'm with you guys - I want Tim to be involved too! :P

G'Kyl
6th August 2004, 09:21 AM
I just bought Wipeout XL. I heard Cold Storage for the first time. Now I'm with you guys

Well, in that case, try to lay your hands on a copy of Wipeout 1. I dare say it's music puts WOXL to shame. :) Alright, not quite, but it is far more original and powerful than the latter.

Ben

Lance
6th August 2004, 03:12 PM
well, there are only two major tracks by Tim on 2097/XL, so WO1 is a Timfest by comparison

G'Kyl
6th August 2004, 08:38 PM
Depends on which Xl he bought. The PC version actually has a different soundtrack completely done by CS. His tracks try to imitate the general feel of the licensed music from the PSX version.

Lance
6th August 2004, 11:47 PM
i was going by the probabilities; i suspect that many or even most newly acquired copies of the PC version are copied rather than bought and any done from online are unlikely to have the music, and in any case, the PC copies are are probably greatly outnumbered by the console versions and harder to find commercially. he bought his, ergo.... :)

of course, none of that means that xqpx definitely does nOt have all of the TimTracks

Hybrid Divide
7th August 2004, 01:00 AM
Also worth noting:

Tim has all of his tracks up on his site for free download.

www.coldstorage.org.uk

Enjoy! :D

G'Kyl
7th August 2004, 05:37 AM
That's a very interesting point you have there, Lance. *g* So the reverse would be that I - by alll probability - own at least one illegal copy of XL, since I know all the CS tracks? ;-)

Vagrant Logic: Yep, I only recently downloaded all the music from his page to see what else he has done and what it would be like. I have to say I don't think I am THAT much of a fan of his work. He has done some excellent stuff (including the Shadow of the Beast and, of course, Wipeout), but there is also a lot of rather medicore music in his discography. Anyway, that's just what I thought when I was listening to his tracks. Hope noone feels offended. :)

Thruster2097
11th August 2004, 07:34 PM
Nope, not offended at all.
Puzzled, maybe.
But I am mature enough to realise that individuals have the right to believe what they want to. Same as the rest of the 'zone.

I am a big fan of CoLD SToRAGE, and praise to you for being honest! :D

megashock5
6th October 2004, 04:11 PM
This year's "More Girls" by Prodigy would make a good WO track, in the way that the instrumental "Firestarter" did in XL. Still love the FSOL track in that game though.

CoLD SToRAGE
4th December 2004, 05:11 PM
He has done some excellent stuff (including the Shadow of the Beast and, of course, Wipeout), but there is also a lot of rather medicore music in his discography. Anyway, that's just what I thought when I was listening to his tracks. Hope noone feels offended. :)

No offence taken here! :D

Some people like my orchestral stuff but don't like the Wipeout tracks. Other are
keen on my Amiga work, but don't know or understand all the "CoLD SToRAGE"
references.

Personal taste too - something I have total respect for... :wink:

C.S.

G'Kyl
5th December 2004, 02:37 PM
Other are keen on my Amiga work, but don't know or understand all the "CoLD SToRAGE" references.

Forgiven may be though who doest not know. ;)

And just to throw in a score geek question: What are you working on at the moment?

Ben

Leftism
27th December 2004, 11:50 AM
I think Dave Clarke - Dirtbox is WipEout through and through... Get it off me on soulseek if you want, username "assegai"

-Ally

The album Devil's Advocate is definitely worth a purchase (or stealing off the internet). Definitely right about the Dirtbox track. It's got that dirty Techno thing goin on which just reeks of Wipeout.

Wipeout Fusion's soundtrack didn't suit the game and made it seem tame. As much as I love some of the tracks (Big Groovy ****er-Plump DJ's, Funny Break (Plump DJ's Remix)-Orbital, Papua New Guinea (Hybrid Remix)-Future Sound Of London) the music doesn't go well at all and were quite tame and lacked any real edge. Like Wipeout with it's teeth missing. As much as I like The Plumps and their Breaks they borderline cheese at times. The only track that fully redeemed it was the Luke Slater track, Bolt Up. To me the soundtrack was too "Pop", used in a loose sense.

Sory to drag up an old topic, just adding my two cents.

Voxx
27th December 2004, 02:19 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Hard Trance, Grunge, but some drum and bass actually could work well along with WO. On Trance I was thinking of songs on the line of Max Graham - Airtight or Mirco de Govia - Things that Matter. Music with a moderate kickdrum and low synths.

And Sasha's Xpander is probably the only song I enjoy from him. :?

Bob Todd
2nd January 2005, 07:19 PM
I do apologise if this has already been posted in another thread, but the latest OPS2 says that we'll be able to download and swap tunes on the net and replace Pure's in-game music. Personally, I've always wanted to bomb down P-Mar Project to Ride of the Valkyries.

Also, Pure will have one racetrack from each of the four previous (minus WipEout 64) games. W00t.

yawnstretch
2nd January 2005, 08:13 PM
Yup - its all looking good for wipeout pure :D

Dimension
3rd January 2005, 12:30 AM
Personally, I've always wanted to bomb down P-Mar Project to Ride of the Valkyries.

Haha, now that's a cool idea :lol:

Lance
3rd January 2005, 05:11 AM
i always wanted to drive down an Alpine mountain pass in a Porsche to Mozart's Symphony number 40 in G-minor

perhaps as part of a Cold War spy movie

Roland
4th January 2005, 10:36 PM
some tracks that would have the right style and tempo for a Wipeout game

Alter Ego - Beat the Bush
TokTok - Otearei
Chris Clark - Gravel (Obliverated)
Dave Clark - The Wolf (not sure about that one... :wink: )
LFO - Butterslut
Luke Vibert - Countdown
Milanese - Iacon
something from T.Raumschmiere maybe

Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Richard Devine and Co wouldn't hurt, but I am not sure if that's the right music for a Wipeout game... bouncier beats would work better imo.

The Boye
29th January 2005, 05:55 AM
Evil Nine - We Have The Power has WipEout written all over it.

I hope Pure adopts the track title text at the intro of a race like in 2097. A nice touch.

Dimension
29th January 2005, 09:15 AM
Can anybody confirm for me that every track on the wipeouts so far have been by british artists? as far as I know they have, but some i'm not so sure about (MKL for example,) just if that is the case, then we should expect pure to follow the same pattern... doesn't round down the possible artists involved much though :)

*EDIT* also of interest, check this (http://www.coldstorage.org.uk/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=22) topic on CoLD SToRAGE's forum, whadya make of his last post? :)

Lance
29th January 2005, 04:02 PM
oh, yes. Tim's most recent post. i like the sound of that!

xEik
31st January 2005, 09:06 AM
Avenue in WO3 is by Paul Van Dyk. I think he is German although his name sounds like a Dutch one.

Dimension
31st January 2005, 09:49 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about Van Dick's track, never mind then (and yes, he is german)

G'Kyl
31st January 2005, 01:26 PM
Paul's track is the one I like best from WO3's soundtrack. Since I usually listen to the music from my second game CD while playing the game, Avenue really gets you going the longer it runs. Nice work. And I say that as someone who is usually condemning Paul van Dyke as being too mainstream. :)

Ben

Dimension
31st January 2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, i've nothing against his Avenue track, good choice for W3O since it's not too cheesy, not chocca with his "For an Angel" stabby leads, it's about as cheese-less as you could expect Van Dyke to get I suppose. Oh well, this is off topic...

On topic: Who of the usual suspects do you think will be on there? The Chems? Underworld? MKL? Maybe bring back Fluke or FSOL? Gee I hope so :)

Sausehuhn
31st January 2005, 03:58 PM
I wrote a mail to Paul van Dyk's contact adress a few moth ago when I heard that there would be a new WipEout and asked if he would make a track for the game.
They told me, they can't say if Paul would make a track for it but there would not be a reason why he shouldn't create a one.
So maybe we will hear some of his work in Pure!

...I will ask again :D

Rapier Racer
31st January 2005, 05:40 PM
Ah yes hopefully FSOL will be there I really liked that tune of theirs on 2097 :rock_on and avenue was a great choice of track for WO 3 too, it really fitted rather well

yawnstretch
31st January 2005, 07:33 PM
It's looking good for Tim - therefore good for us.

Man this could well be the best wipeout EVERRRR!

Two months though :blarg

Dimension
31st January 2005, 08:56 PM
Two months though :blarg

Lol, haven't we been saying that forever? :cry: Seems like time's just about stood still on this thing! Can. Not. Wait. :bombhead

Whocares9
5th February 2005, 06:31 AM
i don't have the scarf, but Tim's ''CoLD SToRAGE'' music for the original WipEout is still the best i've heard for a 'futuristic' racing game; it just really sets the right mood, has the right feel. particularly for a dark psychological ambience.

I must strongly agree with this. Does anyone know if the person who made the first wipeout's music has any other material. It was not just the best wipueout music by my opinion but it was some of the best music I have ever heard in general.

Task
5th February 2005, 07:22 AM
Go to the main site (WipeoutZone) and go to "LinkZone" and scroll down to Music.

Tim Wright, CoLD SToRAGE.

He's got a site with whole bunches of spiffy downloads. Enjoy!

Whocares9
5th February 2005, 06:43 PM
Found it ...thanks :)

silverstone
6th February 2005, 09:16 AM
I would like to see some music from The Crystal Method in wipeout pure, as i thought tracks from their old album Vegas were good, like Keep hope Alive and Busy Child. They were great to race to when playing wipeout 2097 years ago.

Prometheus
14th February 2005, 05:11 PM
I've not properly searched the forum but isn't Aphex twin confirmed?
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57859

(secretly hopes a polynomial c remix is on the cards)

Yaster
28th February 2005, 08:25 PM
Something i think would be great for this UMD is if it could double up as a music disc. You know how you could pop W1 and W2097 into your CD player and listen to all the tracks? It would be smart if you could playback all the tracks in WPure using the PSP's XMB.

Salt|Ultra
28th February 2005, 09:24 PM
That would be really cool. It would not need to be thru the XMB interface, EA has a music player built in to their PSP games that lets you listen to in game music and it even plays music videos for the songs that have them or visualizations for those that don't.

Here's a link:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/589/589078p1.html

Some thing like this for Pure would be just too sweet. 8)

Yaster
1st March 2005, 09:00 AM
oh yeah i remember seeing that. Thats was pretty sureal, i came home from a night out and there on IGN was a clip of this little known scottish band on a PSP screen, odd

Although, The good thing about listening to music through the XMB is that after a couple of minutes the screen turns off which totally saves your battery power so it's good for listening on the go, the thing about that whole EA Trax thing is that it's showing you these videos which Im guessing are always being loaded off the UMD, so that will eat up your batteries in no time at all. So i think I'd be happier with the XMB option.

Thruster2097
1st March 2005, 02:11 PM
This is sounding promising...

let me try and get this right.
You can download additional songs from either the sony site OR your PC and transfer them to the PSP to use as in-game audio?

ooooh, surely you can just hear the chorous of "baby got an atom bomb...." on buses and trains europe wide!

And CoLD SToRAGE returning to the series in PurE form. About bloody time!!!

Dimension
1st March 2005, 06:18 PM
say, the video thing sounds a-pretty pretty good! It would eat your batteries but 'sabout bloody time we see more videos for wipEout tracks *shakes head in dissapointment at no Xpander video*

Glad that Tim's involed in the music again, though I heard about that when he informed the members of his own forum about it :) Aphex twin though, huh? not heard that much by old Richard James, have to say i've never heard anything he's done that I would class suitable for wipEout, cool producer, but not really known for floor friendly 'lectro... Hmm, now i'm getting dead excited about seeing who else is involved, hopefully we'll get at least a bit of the old skool WO lineup; a bit of FSOL (possible;) some fluke would be nice, though not likely; underworld is a possibility too, not sure what they've been up to these past couple of years though :| I'm sure it would make shem happy to see a bit of The Chems too :wink:

silaris
1st March 2005, 06:52 PM
There's one group I happen to admire, but never heard them mentioned on these forums, but has anyone came upon trance[]control? Seems to me they'd make a good sounding WO track if they worked on one, however that's highly doubtful. Not all the songs will feel WO, but i'll list some songs that seem to be a good listen. Firstly "Mystique [2002]" is one song I'd play with Pure, well, the beginning without the non-beat melodies going throughout the song. I just think the "bass" of these songs would work great going around the tracks.

www.trancecontrol.com

Thruster2097
1st March 2005, 07:12 PM
I have just registered at trancecontrol and waiting for the hamsters at my isp's server room to cough up the required e-mail.
Just thinking though, the music for pure must be engineered or tweaked in some way to eliminate most of the bass out of the tracks.
If mr. average buys his psp and turns the volume up to max, surely after one quake or a really deep bassline the tiny speakers must be shot to pieces!
One of the members here has a PSP with ridge racers... does the music in game have much bass to it, and if so is it clear?

(I can already see my PSP list growing out of all control and rational proportions... 5 games, hard case, in-car battery adaptor, screen films and now a set of skullkandy crusher headphones!)

Dimension
1st March 2005, 07:18 PM
meh, they don't have MP3s to stream but I think i remember them from MP3.com in the olden days (lol) they do all kinds of cheesy "Ferry Corsten" euro trance crud, man I hate that stuff, used to love it, but grew out of it quickly enough, seems not all of dance music's moved on from Happy Hardcore throwback cheese :roll:

Not dissing your tastes or anything Silaris but if they sound anything like I think they'll sound, they're probablya "rave kiddie" trance act :evil:

Rapier Racer
1st March 2005, 07:23 PM
that name sounds familiar, I've also registered now for some tunes!

silaris
1st March 2005, 07:49 PM
Not dissing your tastes or anything Silaris but if they sound anything like I think they'll sound, they're probablya "rave kiddie" trance act :evil:

No worries, it would be a sad world if we all danced to Barney songs all the time.

"I hate you, you hate me, we are one unhappy family..." so depressing... :cry:

Prometheus
3rd March 2005, 02:18 AM
refleckt- need to feel loved
more inclined to thrillseekers mix than seb fontaine... vocals might not be suited for the game, but for me, it makes the song so i dont mind keeping it, not that distracting.

http://www.ministryofsound.com/Music/AudioVideo/AudioVideoList.htm?a=Refleckt

register (free) to hear the versions and see vid.

Salt|Ultra
3rd March 2005, 02:40 AM
One of the members here has a PSP with ridge racers... does the music in game have much bass to it, and if so is it clear?

The PSP speakers are not very good at producing bass, as they are very small. But the in game music does have pretty decent bass to it if you listen thru headphones or connect it up to your home theater system. I think the feed to the PSPs' built in speakers is either filtered or the speakers filter on their own, because it really sounds like the low lowend is cut off.

So long story short if they want to put thumping bassline in Pure, I don't see why they couldn't, you would just need a pair of headphones to enjoy it fully.

Hybrid Divide
3rd March 2005, 04:59 AM
I just hope we'll be able to use music (MP3's) we've loaded onto the memory stick as in game music for WipEout Pure.

That alone would make me happy.

The Boye
3rd March 2005, 05:25 AM

(I can already see my PSP list growing out of all control and rational proportions... 5 games, hard case, in-car battery adaptor, screen films and now a set of skullkandy crusher headphones!)

Ridge Racers has plenty of bass in most of it's choonz, the sound through a quality set of headphones is outstanding. The headphones that come with the value pack are cheap and tinny as are the twin speakers on the PSP, forking out for something more substantial can change a game experience entirely.

yawnstretch
3rd March 2005, 07:39 AM
Im with you on that one Vagrant Logic - but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

TB - which headphones would you recommend? The shops over here arent the best for that sort of thing and I wouldnt buy anything online for more than say €35. Any ideas?

Thruster2097
3rd March 2005, 11:00 AM
as said above.
if a serious bit of bass is your thing then grab a set of skullkandy crushers (or krushers - sp?)
more expensive than standard headphones, but oodles of music power. If I can afford them, I will be getting them.
Other than that, I have a set of goodmans procd3008b neck-band 'phones which I find are suitable for anything really...... I must think theyre ok because I'm on my 4th set.

Other than that, if I am playing my psp in my room, I will hook the psp up to my compy's 2.1 subwoofer system.
That should do the trick!
:neighbourhood eliminated

The Boye
3rd March 2005, 02:43 PM
I'd recommend Senn HD25s. Pricey, but the quality of sound is the best you're likely to hear anywhere. Every album I've listened to with these throws something up that passes by unnoticed with even a decent set of speakers, whether it's a subtle bass change or faint chime from a cymbal, a new listening experience altogether.

http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.pl?item=senhd25

Read the customer reviews for more raving reviews of these godsends.

Lots of other headphones there to choose from.

If all you are after are earbuds types you can't really go wrong with the ipod jobs. Good sound for £25, don't expect too much detail to the sound but they are leaps and bounds better than the standard value pack set.

yawnstretch
3rd March 2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies - Im thinking of picking up a pair of senn (hd20 or something) they're sposed to be decent and theyre like 30 quid. Earbuds - Im no longer convinced!

faux
7th March 2005, 07:26 PM
I've just seen the new screenshots of the game--it looks like LFO will be in pure

mid
8th March 2005, 08:27 AM
Really? Cool! Did it have a track name?

Prometheus
10th March 2005, 09:15 PM
It this screenshot you saw
http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/682/682962/img_2641653.html

with the white billboard. hmm so we have Aphex Twin and LFO in pure... are we seeing a Warp records influence here?
someone must know what artists are being featured. There's one review on Gamespot that talks about the settings of the audio and how you can mute it and so on... so those guys must have seen who's featured..... argh i just gotta know what the playlist is :(

so far my summary of the soundtrack of the series is as follows

wipeout1: hard trance
wipeout2097: industrial dance
wip3out: euphoric (Xpander sounds like a celebration or fanfare)
wipeout fusion: funky beats
pure.... (if it warp records stuff i cant imagine autechre fitting in LOL)

Dimension
11th March 2005, 10:29 PM
Aphex Twin isn't confirmed, it was just a preview on a single website that said that, by then i don't know if the soundtrack'll have been finalized even, but whatever heh, still would be interesting to hear Richard James try the kind of prog breaks we're hearing from pure on for size heh. Nice description of Xpander (listening to it now oddly enough,) a fanfare eh? I guess so :D I wish they'd get word to us on the soundtrack already, it's but a few weeks from release, I must know if it'll live up to the legacy! :)

Hybrid Divide
11th March 2005, 10:37 PM
I must know if it'll live up to the legacy! :)

Live up to it?!
Heh!

CoLD SToRAGE is confirmed as an artist. A big part of the legacy has music in Pure.

It's gonna be SO MUCH BETTER than Fusion! :D

Dimension
11th March 2005, 10:43 PM
What I meant more was of the quality of the music, Tim's stuff will be good but it definitely won't be the majority of the music on there, we'll not know for sure until we find out the entire list of artists, don't get me wrong here, it's cool to have Tim making some tracks for purE, but i'll be sceptical upon the entire quality of the OST until I know we're looking at a list of artists that can be trusted to bring us another "best game soundtrack evah!!!" soundtrack. :wink:

Hybrid Divide
11th March 2005, 10:54 PM
Right.

After all, the artists in Fusion were all quite good. But they didn't really go with WipEout.

I dunno though, something just tells me that this one will be to our liking.

Spiral Motion
12th March 2005, 12:07 AM
Aphex Twin is in for sure judging by Gamespots preview video

Here's a screenshot from the video with his name and track. Maybe called 'Make Acid', it's hard to see.

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/1969/aphexpure6gt.th.jpg (http://img11.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img11&image=aphexpure6gt.jpg)

Dimension
12th March 2005, 12:26 AM
Right OK then, no arguing with that, cheers for pointing that out spiral motion

Spiral Motion
12th March 2005, 12:33 AM
No problem mate, made my day when I noticed his name in that video.

Can't wait to hear the full soundtrack listing, the music in wipeout games is always head and shoulders above other game soundtracks.

Asche XL
12th March 2005, 12:59 AM
Although undoubtly Richard D. James is my favorite artist of all time hands down, I can't help but think his presnece in wipeout is rather odd. I still wont believe it until i have it in my hands. Can you picture one of his tracks in a racing game? Or perhaps he's doing his own rendition of a trance/techno track? Who knows, although I am looking foward to some brand new cold storage/underworld/sasha esque tracks.

It'l be interested to see how this all plays out.

Ally Graham
12th March 2005, 12:16 PM
Are we able to start to build up a list of music tracks that will be in PurE yet?

Prometheus
12th March 2005, 01:01 PM
All i know is Aphex Twin, LFO, and Cold Storage

wow Tim's gonna so rock this game... let's face it,most of the memorable tracks in wipeout 1 were his.... I still love that change in pace in cardinal dancer at around 50 seconds into the track...and then it picks up at 1min 02 secs with bass and hit hat....man it certainly makes driving down the motorway quite amusing (cheers Tim).

anyone else got any news on artists? didn't they release the playlist of fusion a few weeks before launch? still love hong kong trash...

Sausehuhn
12th March 2005, 01:07 PM
The Fusion soundtrack list was released in january 2002. (to be exactly: it was the 17Th)

Prometheus
12th March 2005, 01:29 PM
i think these will do nicely to hear these artists

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Logitech-PlayGear-Amp-PSP-16166-S-4-7

:)

Prometheus
12th March 2005, 01:36 PM
btw just so everyone can see cold storage in pure for themselves
watch this vid

http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer_new2.html?title=Wipeout+Pure+Developer+In terview+2&path=wipeoutpure_psp022805_di2.asx&pid=920780&ppath=psp/driving/wipeout&ksubmoid=&urdate=1110873600

and skip to time index 2.00 mins and watch the bottom of the screen.... anyone make out the title... it's one word i think

Dimension
12th March 2005, 02:28 PM
Four letters, looks like Ankh or something similar, definitely looks like it starts with an A and there's an X or K in there... possibly :D

Ally Graham
12th March 2005, 02:58 PM
I see it as ANYK or ANYX

Mobius
12th March 2005, 03:10 PM
Cosmos have a track on pure...

Who the hell are they?

zargz
12th March 2005, 03:16 PM
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif ONYX ?

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Space Cowboy
12th March 2005, 03:20 PM
onyx?, cosmos?, its all very confusing :D

Lance
12th March 2005, 04:27 PM
ONYX, like the stone. don't forget that the 'o's look almost like 'a's. anytime you see an 'o' or an 'a' in Pure try the other letter to see if it makes a word

Space Cowboy
12th March 2005, 04:32 PM
I was just confused by the artists? :cry: I've been trying to get 'Carnival XIII by Breeder' for my PURE music collection so I can listen to it as I blast round the tracks at incredible speeds! :D Can anyone help me with it? Im on soulseek if it helps.

Prometheus
12th March 2005, 06:17 PM
i just remembered what the intro video soundtrack to pure reminds me of... some of it sounds like Chemical brothers- Music Response (a bit faster than chems track). I'd love to hear Chemical Brothers- The sunshine underground (love that change 3mins 50 secs in) r even hey boy, hey girl...

can pure let you play your own tracks to the game?

Cosmos? who and how d'ya know they are in Mobius?

Dimension
12th March 2005, 07:43 PM
Although undoubtly Richard D. James is my favorite artist of all time hands down, I can't help but think his presnece in wipeout is rather odd. I still wont believe it until i have it in my hands. Can you picture one of his tracks in a racing game? Or perhaps he's doing his own rendition of a trance/techno track? Who knows, although I am looking foward to some brand new cold storage/underworld/sasha esque tracks.

It'l be interested to see how this all plays out.

I just remembered, the last few weeks i've heard windowlicker twice on Digweed's Kiss 100 weekly set, it's not that hard to stretch from there as far as believing Aphex Twin could find himself with a track on purE, I'll listen out for windowlicker again tonight, just out of interest like :)

*edit* forgot to mention, one of those plays was by prog breaks wonder kid James Zabiela, if Zabiela'll play it, it'll work with the kind of stuff in the pure soundtrack we've heard so far :wink:

*edit 2* I got a copy of JunkieXL's Radio JXL album today and I was thinking that a few of the beats on the first CD (which i like to call slicing fodder) sounded somewhat like the main track we've heard from purE so far, the one on the official videos and all, I think it's possible, after his pop success with the elvis presley remix that he could be on the list for purE :)

Angryman
14th March 2005, 03:50 AM
The 6 months+ of downloadable content is confirmed free of charge.
Downloads include courses, crafts, BGM, menu graphics and banners displayed on the courses.

Soundtrack includes:
DrumAttic Twins - Twister
Paul Hartnoll (of Orbital) - Ignition
Friendly - We got Juice
Jay Tripwire - Room2
Freq nasty - Grand Theft (edit)
Elite Force - Cross the line
Cosmos (Tom Middleton) - Nu Skool

Sausehuhn
14th March 2005, 10:11 AM
Orbital!!! Elite Force!!! :P

PS: Yes, I know, not exactly Orbital!

Prometheus
14th March 2005, 11:08 AM
Angryman, where did you get the info from? aint seen any mention of those artists anywhere... are those the downloadable music or standard ones?

Dimension
14th March 2005, 06:14 PM
Cool, glad Paul Hartnoll's still doing music and has a tune on wipEout purE, good to hear and the Elite Force one should be good too :)

Asche XL
14th March 2005, 10:35 PM
Can Colin confirm a tracklist? :D

Colin Berry
14th March 2005, 10:46 PM
Can Colin confirm a tracklist? :D

I'm not sure if I am allowed, I suspect not.
The other problem is.... I dont actually know it, its something I have very little interest in, if I had my way the sound track would have been done by Slayer and Atari Teenage Riot, with a little Trent Reznor a Marilyn Manson thrown in.

which is probably why I was kept out of it :)

The music in Wipeout has never really been my thing

Thruster2097
14th March 2005, 10:49 PM
hey, go easy on the nice mr. overlord berry! :lol:
Im sure when he feels ready, then and only then, will he tell us.
He's been a thoroughly decent guy to let us in on the nuggets of info we have at the moment.

Of course, my curiosity demands that I must find out the tracklistings, too.
But just imagine knowing everything there is to know.... there would be no surprise, no wonder, but most importantly, no emotion.

Old guinness proverb say: good things come to those who wait.

patiently waiting..... :wink:

Lance
14th March 2005, 10:51 PM
Colin, a little 'Anti-Christ Superstar' whilst flying through the clouds on the high loops of 'Solar'?

Asche XL
14th March 2005, 11:00 PM
The music in Wipeout has never really been my thing

Heh, wow, I never thought i'd see that sentence! I thought 1/3 of wipeout was the music ( gameplay, design)! I've always been eager to here what new electronica tracks were going to make their apperance on the wo: soundtracks.

Anyway, thanks for all the information you have us, and nice meeting you.

Prometheus
14th March 2005, 11:34 PM
to a extent i agree with thruster, there is good vibe for the soundtrack, not quite knowing but yet being so close. A friend of mine is a big fan of Aphex Twin but didn't think much of wipeout... so it was a real treat to see his face when i told him they're on the soundtrack. I wonder if they'll release a soundtrack CD like previous versions (dont know if fusion had an OST..dont think so)

Thruster2097
15th March 2005, 12:20 AM
nope, fusion didnt have an OST. I really dont think Pure will, either. Having OST's for a videogame is more of a japanese thing, you only have to look at the "success" of the W1 and W2 soundtracks to figure out that it wont catch on.

Would be very nice though!!

tapioca
15th March 2005, 04:17 AM
Although undoubtly Richard D. James is my favorite artist of all time hands down, I can't help but think his presnece in wipeout is rather odd. I still wont believe it until i have it in my hands. Can you picture one of his tracks in a racing game? …

I can see lots of people discussing about AphexTwin here. I remember listening to one of his tracks while playing Fusion (…didn't help in making fusion a great game though. I’m still stuck to WO3:SE).
At this time it was a rare track called Mix1 released on his own label Rephlex (under the name AFX) but it fitted perfectly the wipeout style. It had that kind of "punk" attitude as heard in XL/2097 (take Prodigy as a comparison).
Someone talked about Windowlicker previously : just imagine the same digital scratches and hazardous missing beats in a more punchy techno track.
The only thing that might not fit well are the "filtered gargling" at the end of the track. It works great alone but might not be suitable in the game. Would give a strange feeling to any race in Pure !

tapioca
15th March 2005, 04:47 AM
Hey, by the way, this was my first post ! (applause, wipey crowd…)
After coming every day here to find news about Pure. Can't wait for the game release in Europe as my WO3:SE is almost the only psx game i still play (with… 2097 coming in 2nd. dark tunnels and tunes, i love it)

For people interested, the track I talked about has been re-released by Warp on "26 mixes for cash", what should be easier to find. The track in question is n°19 called "remix by AFX" (what an original name !). I also remember finding elsewhere something like "flew coma", i think.
I’m looking for a link to an audio sample (gosh…it's not even on Bleep !). You sure have to listen to this. Or maybe i could upload 20 or 30 seconds (copyrights ?) for you to make an idea. I’m sure Richard DJ would accept such a free promo (i heard he was a wipeout player…).

tapioca
15th March 2005, 08:48 PM
I’ve found more info on this Aphex track (it has many titles and i had to search the web for more, as the only thing printed on my cd is ”2 remixes by AFX”, and a white sticker on the box with barcode and ref). It's in fact a remix of 808 State and it is called “Flow Coma”. I’ve uploaded a small sample in average quality (for © reasons) here :
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=866

The track has been quickly edited by myself, so you can picture what it is about. The complete track is far better and 4.59 long.
Colin, tell everyone about this (there are also NIN remixes that you might like on the “26mixes for cash” 2cd set. Come on, it‘s just electronic music).

Prometheus
15th March 2005, 09:05 PM
tap mate,
had doubts over aphex twin, but that track is good, kinda meets fusions "funky beats" standards. I still think Polynomial C is a better aphex twin track but this works :)

tapioca
15th March 2005, 10:36 PM
This one is on Classics, right ? Neither have this one nor Selected Ambient 1. I remember listening to it a few years ago, but no track clearly in my mind. Sorry…

FoxZero
16th March 2005, 12:37 AM
yeah polynomial c is classics. the 808 song is great, another great song is mangle 11 (circuit bent vip mix) from a rephex compilation, or maybe for something slower the richards hairpiece remix of beck's new pollution.

colin however, would probably prefer something more like noise unit's entire drill album or church of carbon's cover of bella lugosi is dead (http://www.diskob.com/c/church/db96.html) which i cant seem to find online anymore (side note patrick pulsinger fully endorsed by red bull (http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/TUTORS&SESSIONS.9.0.html?act_session=48) ;)

tapioca
16th March 2005, 01:05 AM
Richard's Hairpiece would be a little weird in Pure (never tried but…).
But let's all stop WipEout beeing too serious : I suggest using Figerbib everytime you drop a row of mines in front of an AG-S (nothing particular against AG-S, i love this ship and i’m not into this team mine-is-better-than-yours war). But boys, let's be friends, and don’t mention again these few mines i threw at your nose that made you lose the race !

WooooooooOOOoooo WoowoowoowoowoooOOoo WeewooweewoowwooWooWeeee
(this was a quick transcription of Fingerbib, only made of wee and woo's. Thanks for you understanding).

One of my favorite track is Logon Rock Witch (on Richard D.James album) that has nothing to do with wipEout but i love the "homemade" feeling on it. Ventolin is impressive, too. But different. And I won‘t draw a list of all my faves…

Dimension
16th March 2005, 01:20 AM
WooooooooOOOoooo WoowoowoowoowoooOOoo WeewooweewoowwooWooWeeee

Don't cha just love the nutters we get around here? :lol:

That track you posted, I can see that fitting with fusion, judging by the rest of the sound track, would need something in quite a different style for purE... Hmm, I don't know many Aphex Twin tracks, not being a particular fan or anything, but i'm still keeping my ears perked to see what he's got in store :o

tapioca
16th March 2005, 01:47 AM
My favorite WO soundtrack was 2097. I think it really helped making the game a whole experience. At this time it sounded so different from anything yet heard in videogames. I really enjoyed its bad attitude. So… Rock'n Roll. Wo3 soundtrack was a little less interesting but suited quite well the game new atmosphere (no more dark tunnels, disappointing Gare d'Europa in SE). Fusion was crap in general (only a few tunes. But i've sold the game).

For Pure I’d like to hear from Two Lone Swordsmen (Machine Maid, or Brootle but it’s little darker. I love their blip minimalism and “detuned infrabasses”), LFO is great, i don’t know which track will be used, and of course old newcomers as Orbital (half of it confirmed), Leftfield (phatplanet?) etc…

I’ll check the list already confirmed to see what it sounds like.

silaris
16th March 2005, 02:22 PM
Random thought. If you all remember the movie "Hackers", there was a clip of Dade playing a Wipeout arcade game. I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Underworld did a shorter version of their song "Cowgirl" that was in this movie? Honestly, if they took the long pieces of the song out, I would be thrilled to death to use this song. At 2:30 into the song (It's about 9 minutes long), it sounds amazingly perfect to me. I like this part of the song better than my XL favorite, "Firestarter". Firestarter is definately going onto my memory stick to play Pure if at all possible.

mid
16th March 2005, 04:03 PM
Cowgirl's 2000 re-release featured a 3:39 mix, so it's certainly doable.

Sausehuhn
16th March 2005, 04:43 PM
Does anybody know if FSOL will be in the soundtrack as well?

I would love it!! :D

Asche XL
16th March 2005, 05:18 PM
"landmass" was bliss, but have you heard recent FSOL? It's not the same sound. It's good, but different.

edit by Lance: Quotation eliminated!

Dimension
16th March 2005, 07:07 PM
FSOL released an album in 2002, that's the last thing they've done. I guess the 2097 soundtrack is as popular as the rest of the game around here, but I wouldn't expect purE's soundtrack to be in the same vein, it's the forté of wipEout to have new music from the forefront of the electro sound, breaks are huge at the moment so i'm expecting the majority to fall into the Nu Skool/Prog breaks catagories, that'll have plenty enough energy though I'm sure :D

Out of interest, Underworld's last album was 2002 and Fluke's was 2003, there won't be any orbital tunes after their parting of ways, but the Paul Hartnoll one should be in a typically orbital style I'm sure, it is questionable what any of the other artists could or would do, while they all made combacks a few years back, they're all doing very little at the moment, though I heard a fluke remix on a B-side (http://www.releaserecords.com/RAM/13156.RAM) a while back... *shrugs* time to wait and see, diddly dee :)

Prometheus
16th March 2005, 07:38 PM
I reckon The Prodigy- Music Reach 1,2,3,4 from their album "Experience" is pretty cool... but its more aimed at the original Wipeout style... still, a remix of this would be nice.. very nice...
LOL i can just imagine it, when you start the race, and you're on the grid, you see the count down but the voice has changed to the one you hear at 5 seconds into the music reach track.. haha, then all those chimes come in...

tapioca
16th March 2005, 09:21 PM
It would be good in Pure to have a different selection of songs for the menus and for racing. I mean not only the possibility to select the tunes you like for each part, but 2 particular atmospheres made on purpose. Energic for races, and more relaxed (i didn't say ambient, this would be too much) when changing options and configurating online tournaments.
This would help you feeling that "this is your time" when on the starting grid.

I don't know what you people think of it…

Dimension
16th March 2005, 09:39 PM
but for every piece of menu music, a little extra space for the ingame music is lost and at the end of the day, wipEout's about dance music, not chillout :wink:

tapioca
16th March 2005, 10:35 PM
Don’t worry i've never said “Downtempo” (neither in my life. Never. Hang me if I do). This previous sentence was my first time, but forget this one, you'll hang me later.

I suppose Pure audio tracks won’t play in a cd-dvd player because of UMD case. So there's no reason for the audio files not to be compressed, considering the PSP reads mp3's, for example. Remember the PSX wipEouts where audio took 80% of disc space : there's no reason it's gonna happen with Pure. So this isn't a matter of space.

And there are plenty of great electronic ”slower” tracks that are still not for children. The contrast with pure adrenalyne just sounds interesting to me.

zargz
16th March 2005, 10:53 PM
Good point, tapioca! A high quality mp3 (192kbps) would do just fine! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ok.gif

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse deleni]dam

Thruster2097
16th March 2005, 11:09 PM
got to hand it to you, tapioca, great choice of track! If they could only take the first 1:40 and extend it to 5:30 it would be a certian hit!

As a rule, all music to be put into games cannot have words. They must be instrumental mixes. Must. There are a few games that can carry off a proper singing soundtrack(ssx) but wipeout just isnt one of them.

I'm still hoping (and waiting for an answer) to find out if you can play any mp3 tracks stored on the MemStick in the races in PurE.

tapioca
16th March 2005, 11:25 PM
I don’t know if I can (well, technically speaking, i can…) upload the complete file for copyrights reasons. This is why i edited the track and made it average quality.

Thruster, you have to know that i only kept the most representative parts. There are many measures missing : for example the intro with those "who the hell is scratching my cd ?" thing lasts for 30sec. The complete track is really better and 4.59 long.
I didn't include what i called filtered gargling, too, even if it sounds great when treated like any other sound. Not Wipeout enough.

Angryman
16th March 2005, 11:44 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/16/news_6120582.html

The Wipeout series has long been famed for its fast-paced sci-fi racing action. Although the next edition of the game, Wipeout Pure for the PSP, can't even be played until the PSP's March 24 release, the latest tracks from the game's soundtrack have been released.

With the new collection of tunes, it appears that Wipeout Pure has a soundtrack with enough BPMs to match its speedy intensity. The tracks lean decidedly towards modern electronic music, showcasing some top names from various genres, including breakbeat and drum-'n'-bass.

The listing is as follows:

Artist - Title

Cold Storage - Onyx

Cosmos - Kinection

Drumattic Twins - Twister

Elite Force - Cross the Lin

Freq Nasty - Grand Theft

Friendly - We Got Juice

Jay Tripwire - Room 2

LFO - Flu-Shot

Ming + FS - Hellion

Paul Hartnoll - Ignition

Photek - C Note

Plump DJs - Black Jack 3

Rennie Pilgrem & Roxiller - Bug

T Power - The System

Stanton Warriors - Night Mover

Tayo Meets Acid Rockers Uptown - Crafty Youth

Themroc - Mean Red

Tiesto - Gold Rush

Aphex Twin - Naks Acid

zargz
17th March 2005, 12:03 AM
8O Long list!!!

Prometheus
17th March 2005, 01:23 AM
Sweet Mother of.... that's a pretty distinctive list.. me think CoLD SToRAGE will offer more tracks for download... he deserves more than 1 track...
Still, I'll be checking out the artists to get a feel the style of pure

Dimension
17th March 2005, 05:49 AM
very cool! Many more tracks than I had expected, but there are some top names in there! To be honest i'm glad it's been said that we're able to turn some tracks *cough*tiesto's*cough* off, everyone'll get their way :D Stanton Warriors: cool, plumps: cool, paul hartnoll: cool, elite force: very cool... Yeah, should be some awesome tracks on there :D Nice one Angryman!

Hybrid Divide
17th March 2005, 06:34 AM
Man... That list sounds great! :D

Thruster2097
17th March 2005, 07:38 AM
If this is truth then what a great list! Nice to see photek back where they deserve to be :)

Cod
17th March 2005, 08:13 AM
Paul Hartnoll ? 8O As in, one half of Orbital ?!? Hang on a minute. Can I get a rewind?

That music track in the sequence on wipeoutpure.com has a distinct Orbital twang to it come to think of it. Hmm ...

Some quality tracks on that list though, definitely. Plump's get my vote any day - one of the few things I genuinely liked about Fusion.

judus
17th March 2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/16/news_6120582.html

great stuff...cold storage in there after all..wohooo..

Space Cowboy
17th March 2005, 11:42 AM
Hmmm.. i've looked everywhere for these tracks and cant find them?? :(
Any ideas people?

AmishRobot
17th March 2005, 11:59 AM
As always, take my comments with a grain of salt, but I seem to recall reading that the tracks were written for the game. I don't have time to dig up a source (got to go to work); anyone care to confirm or dispute this?

I actually don't recognize a good half of those artists... I consider that a good thing.

Salt|Ultra
17th March 2005, 02:53 PM
I also seem to remember that the music was written (remixed?) just for Pure.

Sausehuhn
17th March 2005, 03:05 PM
No FSOL :(

But there's Photek, Paul Hartnoll, the Plump DJs, Cold Storage and and and! can't wait to listen to these tracks! :D

Dimension
17th March 2005, 05:57 PM
Yes, It was said somewhere that the soundtrack is all new for purE, you could always check out other tracks my the artists though in the mean time :) If any of these artists had indeed released these songs, you'd find out on discogs (www.discogs.com) Find the artist, find a track you like the look of and google it :)

Sausehuhn
17th March 2005, 06:21 PM
Is the soundtrack in MP3 or in a PlayStation format? If it would be MP3, you also would be able to listen to it with a normal MP3 player and with the PSP without starting the game.

That would be wonderful! :D

Sven
17th March 2005, 06:32 PM
Being stored on the UMD, you won't be able to listen to them outside the game. But I've already thought of a way to rip the songs onto my computer...I'll let you know how it goes ;)

edit by Lance: Quotation eliminated!
please do not quote posts immediately previous to your own unless quoting a small part of a large post..
and in all other quotes, please quote only the part or parts you are actually commenting on.

Sausehuhn
17th March 2005, 07:01 PM
Do you have a UMD drive, or what? Sounds interestiing...
And maybe the downloadable tracks are in MP3?

zargz
17th March 2005, 07:23 PM
Lance: that week-suspension-thing seems like a better idea each time I see you edit an unnecesary quotation http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/phm.gif ..

Thruster2097
17th March 2005, 07:36 PM
As for ripping the soundtracks, I'm thinking you would use some sort of minidisc recorder plugged into the "headphones out" of the psp. If studio liverpool are smart, they will either a) not have a music player as an option in the game, or b) make it impossible to cut out the sfx in the volume controls.

Piracy is a bad thing, kids!
:D

Space Cowboy
17th March 2005, 07:41 PM
A feed from the headphone jack right into your PC's soundcard will do the trick. Just play the track and activate your fav wav/mp3 recorder in windows and, voila! :)

tapioca
17th March 2005, 09:30 PM
And this is no piracy at all using the headphone to record your soundtrack. Considering you’ve paid for the game (yes you did. Since you've stopped stealing haribos at the age of ten), then Sony should retribrute everyone involved in the project.

Now the only one who will not be paid is Ken Kutaragi. No. Never. He should'nt have said such silly things about the well designed square button. He deserves. Yes.

Thruster2097
17th March 2005, 09:50 PM
Or, you could always use a legitimate music download site to get the tracks you want.
It really does save a lot of bother.

Tapioca, although you may not think it is piracy to take audio from your umd discs, (therefore a good thing), its not worth the hassle. I know you wont believe me but you have to trust me when I say that after posting on this zone that I had the soundtrack to fusion in mp3 format on my hard disk, my PM box, both my mail boxes and IM addresses were getting swamped with people from everywhere requesting that I should send CD's/use filesharing/please mail me some mp3s.......Its not worth the hassle.
And if a simpleton like me can figure out how to rip the audio, then it can't be clever!

tapioca
17th March 2005, 10:20 PM
Totally agree. It would be easier if songs can be transfered via usb, though.
Should Ken Kutaragi still be punished then? :lol:

Prometheus
17th March 2005, 10:26 PM
came across this.... i recommend it.. there's the original version of hong kong trash- down the river that never made it to wip3out but went into fusion... after a remix.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=187&item=8177808631&rd=1

Thruster2097
17th March 2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah, sure! We can punish Ken all we like!
I mean, after all, I do own a few sony products, so I reckon I own about one billion-billionth of him to do with what I please.
Maybe I could convert the few skin cells that I own into a few different formats and distribute them worldwide? :bombhead

:edit
sorry if I appear too rantish , or too personal to :tapioca.
but I really do feel that just because you can do something, it doesnt always mean you should.

tapioca
17th March 2005, 11:48 PM
Did I ever talk of sharing my files, Thruster ?
Sorry if i've been misunderstood.

FoxZero
18th March 2005, 02:17 PM
this soundtrack sounds like itll be really good, and im really excited about the game, but if i decide to drop 350 dollars which i worked many hard hours to earn, i think i deserve to play the music on whateverthehell device i want without paying additional fees for something i already have. :? i think thats fair? ps dont take this as hostile its okay to disagree :roll:

Thruster2097
18th March 2005, 06:24 PM
oh to hell with hostility. I am totally beyond trying to fight people now. For the spirit of the community, I apologise to anyone I may have offended, and offer an unconditional "lets be friends" to foxzero and tapioca, who are indeed entitled to their opinion as much as I am.
this needs to be a strong and confident community before PurE goes on general release.

Out of choice, however, I am having no further involvement in this thread, other than to say that the actual soundtrack to pure is very worthy to hold the name WipEout next to it.
A very good selection of songs, and another golden star for Liverpool. Good work!

tapioca
18th March 2005, 07:14 PM
I’ve just changed my avatar for a while. Let's play Pure.

Concept
18th March 2005, 08:00 PM
The great thing about Pure's soundtrack is that its recaptured the diversity that was evident in 2097's.

Wipeout 3 featured Xpander (which was an amazing tune) but the other tracks were far too heavily trance-based.

It seems Pure has an electic mix of electro, breakbeat, d 'n' b and techno, which brings far more flavour into the soundscape.

Dimension
18th March 2005, 08:03 PM
well... 1999 was the year of trance, it was huge, absolutely huge and it didn't leave room for anything else to be big enough do warrant more of a space than a couple of breaks tracks and underworld's kittens :? It was the sound of the moment, just as the sound of this moment is very diverse; if it were 1999 all over again, the W3O soundtrack would sound perfect to most dance fans' tastes ;)

Concept
18th March 2005, 08:13 PM
I know. ;)

I've just always been an electro breakbeat, drum'n'bass head. That's why FSOL and Photek were so bloody great in 2097. The attract sequence/intro of Wipeout Pure seems to bode well for that style of sound so things are looking good.

I'm hoping Photek is back to his darkish hardstep self too.

Dimension
18th March 2005, 08:23 PM
I'm more of a house luva myself, looking forwards to the Jay Tripwire and Themroc tracks, though i'm far from bothered by broken beats, a bit of both suits me fine, plus breaks is probably a wise choice, far too easy to get the feet tapping to house heh, concentration destroyer! :)

Lance
18th March 2005, 08:31 PM
yeah, that's why i usually turn off the music altogether.
i know it's sacrilege; please don't kill me :)

Dimension
18th March 2005, 08:46 PM
Nothing wrong with that Lance, I too turn the music off; or at least when TTing :)

infoxicated
18th March 2005, 11:57 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=98

Dimension
18th March 2005, 11:59 PM
Royksopp? That's another surprise, cheers foxxy.

Ally Graham
19th March 2005, 07:42 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were going to let you able to play the sound tracks outside of playing the game.

Cod
19th March 2005, 11:57 AM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=98

I knew it - the track in the intro is by Paul Hartnoll. Sweet.

Dimension
19th March 2005, 08:43 PM
Artist Name: Paul Hartnoll
Track Name: Boot Up
(P) 2005 Paul Hartnoll

That one? Odd that it's not on/copyrighted by a label, but oh well, that is a turn up for the books, would never have guessed Paul Hartnoll did it :)

Hybrid Divide
19th March 2005, 10:11 PM
The soundtrack link seems to have more tracks than the soundtrack I had read a few days ago. Can someone label which tracks are special, like if "Boot Up" is the intro music, etc?

Dimension
19th March 2005, 10:38 PM
Well with a title like that you'd expect it to be the intro track, what since the game's bootin up at the time and all :roll: the ones not on the list the other day were paul's "boot up" and the royksopp track

G'Kyl
2nd April 2005, 07:36 AM
I just read the initial post to this thread. How more could I ever have beeb wrong. :)

Anyway, here's another (minor) question to those who are already playing the game: Does the music play another track every time you restart a race or does it have continuous play? I am very much hoping for the latter...

Ben

Dogg Thang
2nd April 2005, 07:53 AM
No continuous play I'm afraid. Unlike the PS1 versions, when you restart a track there is actually some loading time for whatever reason.

The music of Pure is really growing on me. There is really only one track I can't stand and it's the one that has the sample from the Bee Gees track 'You should be dancing'. Any track that uses a sample from a 70s disco classic should not be allowed be played outside women's gyms. Dance music at its cheeziest. And laziest - at least do some digging for your samples.

But, yeah, all the other tracks have really grown on me.

G'Kyl
2nd April 2005, 08:19 AM
Well, that's slightly bad news. I want to actually LISTEN to the music when I play as it defines a huge part of the atmosphereof a game. However, this doesn't happen if the tracks aren't allowed to develop into what the artists had in mind. As for earlier Wipeouts, I usually play without music while running the soundtrack discs in my PC.
I wouldn't care if the soundtrack included regular pop or rock music, because these don't progress during their playing time. Electronic music usually does.
Anyway, I'll take what I get, so no worries there. ;]

Ben

eLhabib
2nd April 2005, 09:02 AM
funny, DT, actually that's exactly the one track I can't stand either :wink:
...oh and I don't really care for the aphex twin track either, it's pretty bad compared to their other stuff...

Prometheus
2nd April 2005, 11:14 AM
yeah i gotta admit, the Aphex Twin track really sucks. A wasted opportuunity if you ask me, as he does have some good bass thumping tracks... but decided to go for a click, hiss, spit kind of style... i thought the idea was to make the music FOR wipeout... I'm convinced this is stuff he'll release on a new album.

I mean I heard it from a forum elsewhere who recorded and uploaded it and i cant even imagine how you race to it... there's just no energy.. just hi pitched clicks, hisses and spits. I'm guessing this is something a PR dude messed up with and RD James didn't have a say in which track went in, otherwise he was probably playing a different game when making that track LOL

eLhabib
2nd April 2005, 12:13 PM
yeah, my guess is he was playing Warioware touched!

Leftism
2nd April 2005, 06:40 PM
Artist Name: Paul Hartnoll
Track Name: Boot Up
(P) 2005 Paul Hartnoll

That one? Odd that it's not on/copyrighted by a label, but oh well, that is a turn up for the books, would never have guessed Paul Hartnoll did it :)

Could be on his (and Phil's) own label that they released the Blue Album on after they left FFRR. Could be a white label.

Haven't heard the soundtrack yet but looks tasty. Many Breakbeat artists plust the Hartnoll... but why Tiesto? :?

Dimension
2nd April 2005, 07:30 PM
"But why tiesto?" My sentiments exactly, cheese tr**ce is the last thing wipEout needs, it makes sense really seeing as he's mega popular with all the tr**ce style rave kiddies, you can expect they'll be very into this game (thanks to having tiesto on :roll:) Oh well, selling point I guess *sighs*

faux
2nd April 2005, 08:31 PM
I thought the same when I heard Tiesto was on the soundtrack--turns out his track is not that bad. I personally never was a fan of cold storage. I always thought c. storage's sound is a little cheesy and dated--but that's just me.

Lance
2nd April 2005, 09:48 PM
JS Bach is a little dated, too

Dimension
2nd April 2005, 11:50 PM
yeah, that's kind of not relevant though is it lance? bach's not something that really works with wipEout, you know, the forward thinking stuff... oh well, I guess 300 years old from now is as good as 200 years old from purE's setting *shrugs*

TMoney
3rd April 2005, 01:33 AM
Well...

I can be quoted earlier in this board somewhere for saying that the XL soundtrack is better than this one..

I've changed my mind.

After I take out a small handful of crap I hate in Pure - there's still at least 12 tracks that are solid gold. This is my new favourite Wipeout for music.

(edit : My new favourite Wipeout - period.)

Infact, I just finished ripping it all to my PC to burn :D Muah hwa hwa!

Lance
3rd April 2005, 01:55 AM
well, Alistair, i was not promoting Bach as appropriate racing music, but merely pointing out that dated music can still be good music. i'm quite fond of those old CS tracks.

and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, too.

come to think of it, Mozart's symphony 40 in G-minor fits the WO2 look very well.
crank it up to 11 and drive Spilskinanke

faux
3rd April 2005, 03:42 AM
I didn't mean to offend...yet I would argue that something like Bach's music is timeless--not dated

Lance
3rd April 2005, 05:19 AM
exactly so; that was my point :)

yawnstretch
3rd April 2005, 01:56 PM
Did someone say one of the tracks had a Bee Gees sampl in it? Funny - i havent noticed that yet.

To be honest I dont think i like the Aphex twin track either - when I heard it first (someone on eurogamer posted it) I thought it sounded original but playing the game to it just doesnt work. The only thing I can think of is that the external speakers of the PSP do high pitched stuff very well..?

Some of the music on wipeout pure is drop dead gorgeous! - How do you guys listen to the music though? Its so annoying that the music menu doesnt have a play-through option: it just sits there on the one track so you cant listen to your psp on the go - surely this is the whole point of the PSP? In demo UMDs you can access music files and video files directly through the firmware interface and use the remote control. Wipeout should have done this too - or at the very least had a random track play thingy - the only way to do it whilst on the go is to open up a game and leave it on. But there are problems with this method of mine too...

If you go to the music menu as I said before it just plays the same track over and over - i hope they fix this in the Euro version. One annoying thing about the method I use to listen to music on the go is that there are background noises like hovering and atmosphere effects - thats ok but what really sucks is that clicking the hold button makes the game pause so you cant have the PSP in your pocket playing the music that way.

Anyone have a solution? Why couldnt the music menu actually had an option or two? Look at Ridge Racers - I hear need for speed underground even has a visualization thingy in its music menu. The PSP is a portable entertainment device n'est pas? Maybe they want us to fill up our memory sticks with mp3s when we have a umd with everything already on it?

Dimension
13th April 2005, 12:45 PM
Alright lance, I also wasn't meaning to offend you or anything, just pointing something out :wink: It's a matter of taste i suppose, my arguing gets us nowhere *shrugs* Ive got my head stuck too far into the forwards thinking, tied into wipEout stuff... wait, what were we talking about again? :blarg

Concept
13th April 2005, 12:46 PM
Onyx = Heaven.

Lance
13th April 2005, 02:26 PM
Dim, you didn't offend me; we were trading opinions on the relevance of new versus old. as always, the young tend to think that only what is currently fashionable is relevant, whereas i have discovered over the course of decades that i now think fashion in any art is irrelevant, that only high quality matters. i used to think as you do about most art forms, though possibly i never did think that way about music, since i was into classical music during the early ''rock 'n' roll'' era. almost every person when they grow up to become their own person rejects the preferences held by their parents just to differentiate themselves from their parents, to become an independent person on their own. once that has been achieved, though, you can like whatever you want for whatever reason you want, regardless of whether it's new or old, or whether your peers like it, regardless of anything whatsoever other than that it appeals to you. you no longer have to like the new just because it's new. jeez, imagine the poor kid whose parents are into all the latest trends; he'd have to like only the cave paintings of Lascaux and primitive tribal dances, or swing music from the 30s or something. yikes! he'd be cast out by his peers as hopelessly uncool.

Chill
13th April 2005, 03:50 PM
Onyx = Heaven.
Let me mention, that an Onyx is a sign to chill. :roll: Pritty cool, ya? 8)

Lance, I seem to feel the same way about music, but I was never really determined to seperate myself from my parents in that way, or really in any way. For one of those reasons, I love classical music because, well, they're all classics, meaning they are good regardless of time. I hate the new fashionable music (Backstreet Boys, and others I don't bother learning about). Even the 'Backstreet Boys' are kinda old for those driven by fashion, but I just don't think theirs enough time to enjoy everything with good quality if you have to change your style everyday!!! I do like some new music, like Gorillaz, Moby (not sure if it's new), Rage Against the Machine (this will really throw you off of my chilln' side :lol: ), Modest Mouse, Red and White Stripes, because I think it's all got classic potential. Even Rage Against the Machine, even though it's covered in fashion, it has talent. Music is an art, and art needs talent and skill in order to be good. :wink:

Sausehuhn
13th April 2005, 04:09 PM
Why CoLD SToRAGE called his track Onyx:

I have one track called "Onyx" in the game. Why call it "Onyx"?

ONYX - The Stone of Self Mastery and Self Control

Colour: Usually black or brown with white bands, but can be red, orange, or honey colored. A type of Chalcedony Quartz.

Element: Fire

Metaphysical: Black Onyx enhances steadfastness and determination, setting ones mind to a task. It is grounding stone, valuable in difficult or confusing times in our lives.

Excellent stone for initiating the process of centering and alignment of the total person with a Higher Power. It helps us to absorb whatever energy we need from the Universe.

Can be used to deflect or absorb the negativity of others, and in that way is a good stone for protection from negative forces and influences. More powerful for people in recovery when combined with Amethyst - The Stone of Sobriety.

Onyx helps you become the Master of your own Fate.

Enhances self mastery. Valuable in difficult or confusing times of our lives. Absorbs and flattens emotional intensity. Helps to smooth out the "Roller Coaster Ride" of emotions.

Protection: A good stone for Entrepreneurs and Inventors, to repel negative energy surrounding other peoples opinions or ideas.

Change: Helps release old beliefs and patterns that no longer serve us. Visions, and guidance through meditation and dreams.

Excellent stone for initiating the process of centering and alignment of the total person with a Higher Power. It helps us to absorb whatever energy we need from the Universe. Balances and grounds. Not a "healing stone", rather it repels (negative energy).

Physical: Helpful in treating teeth, bones, bone marrow, blood disorders, feet, glaucoma, epilepsy, and cell damage.

Careers: Entrepreneurs, Inventors.

Keywords: vigor, strength, stamina, constancy, steadfastness, permanence , tenacity, firmness, durability, courage, and self-control.

Concept
13th April 2005, 04:11 PM
I think you misundersood me.

Onyx = Musical Heaven to me.

Hopefully Studio Liverpool realise his track kicks the arse off everyone else's and they'll ensure Cold Storage features in the track downloads.

Sausehuhn
13th April 2005, 04:14 PM
Ah, okay. I thought you would mean that Onyx is heaven, but you meant that your opinion is that it sounds really good, like heaven.
So or so. I think it's interesting what artists think while making their tracks or choosing a title for it. :)

Dimension
13th April 2005, 04:23 PM
@ Lance

[new school vs old school rant]Heh, whatever you say old man lol.

Jokes aside though, you're very much right, I like electronic music because it's new... but what's wrong with new? Because it's new, doesn't mean it lacks quality. Thing is that people see the core at the obvious heart of electronic music and pass over the quality beneath the surface on the premise that it's all "mindless computer beats".

Sure, maybe the beat is constant and uses the same ideas over and over, why? Because it gives it a global medium. As is said, it's a capitalist world and you need money to do anything in a capitalist world, including making and distributing music. You give a standard (in this case a consistent beat to keep people dancing) and you attract people to keep things going.

"Mindless computer beats" are a product of necessity, it's the same with hip hop (rapping about being the opposite to the law,) with rock (singing about hating/being the opposite to your average person,) with general pop (singing about nonexistent love), with country music (song structure is very uniform, as are the song lyrics) and everything else with a still active scene.

What i'm getting at here is that at the end of the day, every bit of music, new or old is tailored to an audience, even music of times gone by is surviving in people's minds today by people believing it comes from some kind of Halcyon Days where everything was perfect. Whether it was made 300 years ago or yesterday, the true quality will always be there, only in a different form. If it's not a piece with compex notes written over weeks or months, it's a piece with less complex notes, though with sounds of one's own design, written over weeks or months. Maybe JS Bach wrote his music with a real love for music, because he loved having people hear what he'd written, maybe it looks today as if it was completely free of artistic restraints, but in all truth that's just not possible, it may seem timeless today, but at the time, it was popular music written for instruments of the day for people of the day to enjoy. In the same breath, Sasha's Xpander was written with instruments of this day for people of this day to enjoy, don't dismiss it as just a fashion because it was written in this age, in 300 years, they could talk of different greats of music past: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Sasha.

Anyway, this reply has been too long, all to get across that i'm saying, don't dismiss modern music as just passing fashion, the artistic dream is still alive in some of us, just have a little respect my friend, i love music as much as any other man, not because it's this, that or the other, just because it shows the one thing (aside from wipEout lol) to bring any sense to the world in my eyes: love, peace, success and community, i don't need it when there's a little bit of art left to support and live for.

OK, well I hope this hasn't been long enough to give you a headache reading it and I hope I don't look too much like a silly little kid for saying all this, feel free to point out any flaws you've found in what i've said, they're there (probably) Oh and one last thing, I hope you don't take (too much) offence at what i've said, i'm just sticking up for the representatives of IMHO art music's last breath :D [/old school vs new school rant]

Lance
13th April 2005, 06:19 PM
oh, there are plenty of flaws ;)
you misunderstand my point. CoLD CoMFORT, for example is modern music, but it is also classic, and of high quality. i am not dismissing modern music. i love electronica. what i am saying is that to dismiss CoLD CoMFORT, or any music more than a few months old as ancient and cheesy and not worth listening to because it isn't new is ridiculous. there should always be new music, but neither newness nor antiquity guarantees excellence. some of those guys back in the Baroque days turned out a lot of mediocre music. it generally gets ignored because we can judge it more fairly because it isn't the latest thing, and we have so much to pick and choose from. we don't have the time to listen to mediocre old music. that's how you can tell what is classic and what isn't. only the high quality stuff is thought of as classic and still gets listened to. that applies to modern popular music, too. as with any era, ours has both great music and dreck and a range of stuff in between. the quality has nothing to do with new or old.

there is nothing wrong with music being new. i like Scissor Sister or Hoobastank. but i also like Marilyn Manson and Sting [though he's not as inspired these days] and Radiohead. just because they started several years before SS or White Stripes [who have been around for a couple of years now, themselves] has zero to do with whether they're good and exciting to listen to. newness has some value of its own in that we need new stuff to keep interested, and something totally different and also excellent may be produced from new technology or a new way of thinking about musical structure or a new instrumental sound. but like always, a little of it will be great, a lot of it will be soso, and a lot of it will be crap. that's just the nature of humans and what they make, and who has great talent and originality and who doesn't, but makes art anyway.

''.. people see the core at the obvious heart of electronic music and pass over the quality beneath the surface on the premise that it's all "mindless computer beats".''
i am not one of those people and never did i say such a thing. it is a flaw of the process of critique and dialectic that it takes so much effort to be specific, and so little effort to be broadly general. the search for complete and accurate knowledge and opinion takes a lot of energy. there just isn't enough of that to go around. and there are so many other things to do. in fact, i just got WO1 today and it is calling me with its newness [to me], and with its classic quality, too.

but first, i gotta read all the other new posts. :)
then i'll continue playing :D

Dimension
13th April 2005, 06:40 PM
Agree with you fully on the quality seperate from age thing, I was just pointing out, as you seem to understand, that dissing current era music in general is a waste of effort and is distinctly narrow minded. In the same way as you or I would listen to music no matter its age (example, My favourite dance mix CD: Sasha & Digweed - "The Mix Collection Volume 1" 1994,) there are those who will only ever love the new stuff, because new is cool. Geez... Anyway heh, I should have guessed the all knowing and wise Lance would never think such things, silly me :shame I'll leave it at that. You're free to enjoy your retro diggit-ness. :)

Concept
13th April 2005, 06:46 PM
Anyone remember Oakenfold's Perfecto Fluoro compliation?

That was another another amazing mix CD from the mid-90's.

Dimension
13th April 2005, 06:59 PM
I have heard of it, though not actually heard the mix itself. All those forgotten gems out there, eh? :D The mid and early nineties were probably the coolest time in electro history IMHO, between the super production acts doing their things and that uber cool "proper" trancey, yup. :clap

Lance
13th April 2005, 07:25 PM
''the all knowing and wise Lance''

i'll be sure to put that on my tombstone... unless i get to be truly all-knowing and find out how to avoid death. although avoiding it might be more foolish than wise. who knows, one of these days i might get bored of living. immortality: blech

Dogg Thang
13th April 2005, 07:29 PM
Bored of living? Nah, it'll never happen. By the time you experience everything the world has to offer, it will have changed so much that you can start all over again. If you do become all-knowing, let us know the secret to eternal life though, eh?

I have to agree with you Dimension - the mid-nineties was really the golden era of electronic music.

G'Kyl
14th April 2005, 07:31 PM
Bored of living? Nah, it'll never happen. By the time you experience everything the world has to offer, it will have changed so much that you can start all over again. If you do become all-knowing, let us know the secret to eternal life though, eh?

Speaks Faust.
;)

Ben

Prometheus
14th April 2005, 11:21 PM
yeah mid nineties...wow, I think that Hackers movie really sums it up (in a hollywood sorta way). With Chemical bros, prodigy, leftfield, all just starting to make an impact... orbital.. heck wipeout really captured a golden moment in dance acts

Shem
15th April 2005, 05:03 AM
Ahh, the good old days.....
I love these times, and i guess i will belong there for as long as something better occurs. I hope it will. It must since everything since 2000 seems to suck ass....

Space Cowboy
15th April 2005, 08:05 AM
Im not so sure that all electronic music has suffered since then. There are some fantastic electronic artists around today including, Global Communication, Ulrich Schnauss, Sasha, way out west, Hybrid, Prefuse 73, not to mention the leagues of independent electronic artists that are beavering away producing fantastic tracks. .
I think the tendancy nowdays is to produce electronic music that is more intricate and positive in nature than the dark techno rifts of the ninties.
You've just got to know where to look, for good electronic music. :)

tapioca
15th April 2005, 02:49 PM
I've just started another topic that might interest you. I first thought of an answer to previous posts, but it appeared to be too long to fit here. This is about what happened to Electronic Music… :?
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2117