PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Pak - recommended! (edit: forget it...)

Roger
25th May 2004, 07:27 PM
Yes, I got hold of a used Expansion Pak for my Nintendo 64. It was really worth buying it (paid 13 euros for it), most of the games I've tested so far run in hi-res after the memory upgrade.

Wipeout 64 looks totally sweet now, among other things the engine exhausts are even better looking than in 2097/PS. Hmm, hope the increased graphic quality will inspire me to work harder on my times.

---

edit: seems I got too carried away, 'cause the pak didn't actually make any change... except in my mind. Placebo effect?

G'Kyl
25th May 2004, 09:04 PM
Can you make some screenshots of the high-res version? I tried to find some in order to decide whether the expansion pack is worth its money but could find not a single one. :|

Ben

Roger
26th May 2004, 06:20 AM
Screenshots? OK, I'll put it on my "to do"-list. I've thought of buying a second hand digital camera - this might be enough of an excuse for me to go through with it :wink:

G'Kyl
26th May 2004, 07:06 AM
Oh don't worry, I just wanted to take my chance and ask right away. If you can't do it that's fine with me. :) Have never been much of a graphics or screen resolution fetishist, anyway. )

JABBERJAW
26th May 2004, 12:23 PM
As far as I know the expansion pack did not do anything for wipeout 64. Maybe the pal version?

G'Kyl
26th May 2004, 04:21 PM
Hm, I never read that WO would be enhanced by the expansion pack capabilities, but Roger seems so excieted there must be something to it. :)

Roger
26th May 2004, 05:53 PM
NEWSFLASH: Claims of enhanced graphics debunked. Film at eleven...

Sorry guys, I was wrong :roll: . I popped the old Jumper Pak in and the graphics were just the same. Goes to prove that I don't play Wipeout64 often enough, and perhaps also that it's a good looking game.

The lowdown on a lot of N64 games. supported paks and stuff:
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/slaanesh79/games/carts.html

(So what am I gonna do with the digital camera I bought today? :-? )

G'Kyl
26th May 2004, 06:59 PM
Send it to me! I need one to take pictures for some eBay business, and the one I borrowed won't be recognized by my XP. ;)

bakkufu
15th August 2005, 09:01 AM
I though you could only play 4 player ( with the backgrounds on ) with the expansion pack installed, I remember playing 4 player with just the track on a friends N64, but my N64 ( with expansion ) can have limited background scenery on.

Might be my memory though, havn't played 64 in about a year, although I really do need a few laps of Qoron VI