PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Efficiency

Status
8th February 2002, 09:14 AM
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I'm curious... Is there a 'proper' way of hyper-thrusting in Wipeout 3?

Generally speaking, games will reward one of three types of thrust usage:
1) A long, steady burst on a straight
2) A short to medium burst out of the corners
3) Rapid bursts (click click click) on a straight

I've found a few obvious good uses for thrust, like faster starts or keeping your speed up hills, but I don't think I'm using the hyper-thrust to it's full potential. Are there any 'right' places to use thrust?

Task
9th February 2002, 12:59 AM
I think I got my best times using method #2.
I often use it at the apex of the turn just to help me make the turn, too.

science
9th February 2002, 05:02 AM
i use bursts on straightaways and coming out of turns to regain velocity, but the most efficient way to use hyperthrust is to lay on it at the lip of and during a jump- especially if there is a boost pad at the lip.

jmoid
9th February 2002, 02:04 PM
also if you thrust as you're going over a speed pad it gives you an extra boost. just tap it as you go over.

Dom
9th February 2002, 10:14 PM
If you get an "Energy Drain" just before you start to lap the field KEEP IT!!! You can top up your own energy for more hyperthrust.

As long as you use it from a fair distance away you can steal quite a lot of energy...... as long as the ship in front doesn't have a shield or Deflector on!!

Lance
10th February 2002, 05:21 PM
i hadnt thought about this, but is it possible for the ship being drained to put up a shield while you are actually draining its energy? sometimes it seems like there is a sudden cutoff of the drain while i am still well behind the ship.

FoxZero
10th February 2002, 10:30 PM
is it possible for the ship being drained to put up a shield while you are actually draining its energy? sometimes it seems like there is a sudden cutoff of the drain while i am still well behind the ship.
yes this happens to me all the time, because the ai ships put up a shield or reflector while im draining them.

Dom
11th February 2002, 01:09 AM
This also happens to me but sometimes you can catch a very unlucky pilot in front and drain so much energy that the thing blows up!!!! :lol: Nasty b******d ain't I!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-02-11 02:10 ]</font>

science
11th February 2002, 03:51 AM
you guys remember how the deflector was supposed to be able to reverse the energy drain? what the hell happened there? i thought that would be extremely cool, but it doesnt work. they wrote that in the manual, but i guess they forgot to program it in.

vincoof
11th February 2002, 06:26 AM
afaik, energy drain is reversed with deflector in 2p mode only. Don't know why, though.

It may be obvious, but I recommend using hyperthrust where blue pads lack. I see hyperthrust as 'place your blue pads wherever you want whenever you want on the lap'

AmishRobot
11th February 2002, 06:32 AM
I always saw hyperthrust as a 'faster way to destroy your ship'.

Maybe I should pit more. :wink:

zargz
11th February 2002, 02:48 PM
task: define 'apex' pleez!

Hyper Shadow
11th February 2002, 03:58 PM
The apex of a corner is the optimum point where braking stops and accelaration can begin.

Lance
11th February 2002, 04:54 PM
or, to put it another way, the apex is that point on the line you take through the 'corner' where the curve of your line is the sharpest. within the limits of the game's physics engine, you can place that point anywhere you want. but some corners have less latitude about where the apex can be without your crashing into a wall. anyway, the apex will be the point where your ship is going the slowest. generally, it's the point where you can stomp on the power button. but anyway, the apex is a point you create with your driving, it isn't a specific point on the track, although the point of sharpest curvature in the track is the biggest factor determining where it will be.

[looks back over his post] wow, that was perfectly clear. :grin: :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-11 17:59 ]</font>

zargz
12th February 2002, 03:03 PM
ok the slowest point .. thanx guys! hmm ..
what I do is fi i use the thrust in a corner I do it b4 I get 2the apex! say we divide the turn in 5 parts and nr3 is the apex(the middle of the turn) I thrust when I'm @2! that way I dont go 2the lowest velocity .. it works a bit like some corners in wo1 (4exmpl silverstream @first split go left, uphill, downhill there u gotta turn b4 u hit the speedupps othertwise u get in the wall) turn a litl bit 2much then thrus so u make it! :smile:

Lance
12th February 2002, 05:51 PM
maybe i'm not reading you clearly, but if you give it excess steering, thEn hit extra thrust, isn't that accelerating After the apex? the tail of the ship would have already slid out and been at the sharpest point of your line then, yes?

there are a couple of circuits that have one long turn where sometimes i apply thrust most of the way through the turn, but sometimes don't, but just allow the ship to coast down and use the thrust after the turn. i still haven't figured out which method is the fastest.

vincoof
12th February 2002, 08:53 PM
I'm afraid there's no generic solution.
It depends on the turn (its sharpness, if there was a str8 line b4, if there r blue arrows, if ther's a up/downhill), it depends on your craft (mainly its acceleration ability), it depends on how u enter the turn (if there r opponents pushing u 4 instance), & mayb even more other params.

What I think zargz tries 2 say is that u can escape the apex if u use the hyperthrust @ a good place. Thus making the apex not really worth of its definition 'fcource.

zargz
13th February 2002, 12:04 PM
Xactly. say when u begin 2slow down ('fcource u no where the slowest part of u turn is) then just thrust !

Asimulant
10th March 2002, 12:56 PM
I usually try to save my hyperthrust for the last straight leading up to the finish line. I often use it on long straights too.

Lance
10th March 2002, 05:00 PM
i used to do that, save my hyperthrust for the finish, but my times are faster since i started using it in other places instead. i rarely have any hyper left at the start of the finishing straight.

Hyper Shadow
11th March 2002, 10:09 AM
Using your hyperthrust on the last straight is a rookie thing I feel. You feel more in control using it on the final straight as you won't get destroyed by making a mistake with low energy.

Once you start getting used to the tracks, you start to use hyperthrust in other places, making you faster and more confident.

Lance
11th March 2002, 03:23 PM
i found that i tended to make more mistakes because i'd jump on the hyperthrust before i quite got to the straight [so i could make sure i had time to use all the remaining thrust] and would end up kraaaang![TM]ing into a wall and muck up the time completely.

Hyper Shadow
11th March 2002, 04:54 PM
It happened to me to, but as I say, its all part of the learning process.

The introduction to hyperthrust is to use it on the final straight.
Later instalments causes theu use on other parts of the circuit

Confusion
12th March 2002, 07:33 PM
What you mean like burning out of slow corners with the Hyperthrust? That works wonders at shaving off seconds off lap times...

Hyper Shadow
13th March 2002, 09:42 AM
Exactly!

Vasudeva
2nd April 2002, 07:56 PM
I usually use the hyperthrust to cut off some corners in tracks; the trick is, of course, to do it in a way so that blasted chopper won't come after you - in other words, be fast enough, and retain stability. Works excellent on some tracks.

Vasudeva.

zerodivide
25th May 2002, 12:03 AM
Thrust is good if you know how to use it correctly,it also depends on the track's 2.
EX. Sometimes they put the speed pad in a way so that you could fly over one speed
pad going into a turn and land on another coming out of the same turn depending on how you airbrake before the turn.
Thus cause you not to lose speed and not to use thrust.If you're gonna use thrust use it wise.The more you thrust the more you have to pit and going into the pit stop can
cause you to lose 2or3 sec.
So if you're doing rapier and you pit 2time in one race you will lose 4to6 sec. on your
race time 8)

You do the math 8)