PDA

View Full Version : New "WipEout Pure" video up.

Hybrid Divide
14th May 2004, 02:06 AM
I just checked IGN, and there is a new video of the WipEout game up.

At the beginning, it showed the name "WipEout Pure"

I like it...

As for the game...

IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/vids_1.html?fromint=1

Enjoy everyone! :D

Wiseman
14th May 2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the link, Vagrant. :D

Downloading it as I type this. Can't wait to check it out.

G'Kyl
14th May 2004, 06:05 AM
Thanks a lot! That makes my Friday mornig a lot sunnier than it already is. :) Since Wipeout Pure is in the video and has been used as a working title by Studio Liverpool for Fusion, I assume they are indeed the ones now working on the PSP WO?

EDIT: Whoops, hit "submit" too early.
I think the game so far looks amazing, which is also due to the missing textures. ;) I have to say I somehow Ilike the flat, non-textured tracks. :) From what else can be seen, all I can say is that the physics to me indeed resemble W3O. Which I guess is a good thing. I only hope wall scraping is going to be different from the last PSX release. :)

Ben

Shem
14th May 2004, 06:51 AM
Only 1 thing I did not like about this game - the floating, spinning circle thtough which the craft flew through. And dat's it. The game seems to have the floaty feel (especially visible when the ship lands onto a track after a jump), great engine exhaust (WOXL style), wide tracks, and whatever I haven't mentioned here and is worth looking at.

G'Kyl
14th May 2004, 07:26 AM
Maybe the circle is an effect they use as a filler to have something represent one of the weapons but will be changed during further development of the game.
*pure speculation mode on*
Maybe it's the new "road block" weapon. :)
*pure spec mode off*

Ben

Roger
14th May 2004, 08:12 AM
"The content you requested is part of the IGN Insider subscription service"

So, I'd have to pay money to watch a freaking promo video? Ain't gonna happen. Is the video available elsewhere? :-?

---
Edit: it seems that the Windows media file is freely available, while the Quicktime version is "more valuable" i.e. it's not free. Go figure... :-?

Hybrid Divide
14th May 2004, 08:23 AM
That's odd.

I don't subscribe to IGN. And I bet neither do the other people who saw the video.

You have to click the lower bandwidth Windows Media version.
Fear not though, it still looks good. 8)

Angryman
14th May 2004, 08:25 AM
the promo video should be up on this site for free.
someone needs to add it to the downloads section. :roll:

You can see the video for free btw, just not in quicktime, you will have to settle for crappy WMV.

infoxicated
14th May 2004, 08:46 AM
the promo video should be up on this site for free.
someone needs to add it to the downloads section. :roll:
Okay, I'll tell you again - just in case you didn't get me the first time. This site will only get content after it is available elsewhere - maybe not even then. I got no end of hassle due to using exclusive content when Wipeout Fusion launched, and I'm not even remotely interested in enjoying that hassle again.

See the image I used here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/news.php?action=display&id=61)?

I was given that image on a disk full of other images - so I used it. That image was also given as an exclusive cover pic to a german games magazine. So the person who gave the disk to me got hassle and in turn I got hassle for it, even though it wasn't my fault.

Do you think I want to risk that situation happening again? No frickin' way is your answer - not for your impatient ass and not for anyone else. I'll do what I can, when I can - I'll put content on the site when I'm given it and when it's been double checked that I'm allowed to do so, not before.

So you can stick the attitude and the rolling eyes smiley where the sun don't shine.

Roger
14th May 2004, 10:58 AM
OK, so now I've seen the free and crappy WMV version. And it looks promising indeed! I might have to start saving up for a PSP...

My only concern with playing Wipeout on a handheld console is that I tend to "lean into" the game a lot. It may bee too embarrassing for me to bring a PSP along on, say, a bus - risking that I fall out of my seat when the going gets tough... :oops:

Rapier Racer
14th May 2004, 12:48 PM
Cool, cool, cool, did I mention cool! 8) That looks simply fabulous and did I spy an Assegai!!! :D By the will you be able to connect a PSP to a PS2 in some way?

Watches video for 12th time

stin
14th May 2004, 02:13 PM
This pictures looks awesome! Has anyone know about a price?

stin :)

Angryman
14th May 2004, 05:23 PM
Sorry fox, i didn't mean to piss you off.. and that rolleye smilie came out wrong.. i actually thought it was a cheeky grin.. for some reason it wasn't animating so all i saw was a half grin.. :oops:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/starpet/cheeky.jpg

lunar
14th May 2004, 05:32 PM
Using Ben`s "PSM" for a moment, early on in the video a WO3 Piranha appears, and several times receives a short boost. At least one boost it receives is caused by a speed pad, but at least one cannot be easily explained and may be the result of ...... hyperthrust.

I can`t tell from the video what the wall-banging and handling will be like, but it looks promising, and the game overall looks more and more like Wip3out 2. :roll:

disengage PSM.

G'Kyl
14th May 2004, 07:24 PM
I also paid close attention to the "boost behavior", and I agree, there seems to be something quite similar to hyperthrust. It's definitely not the kind of turbo we had in WOXL, but something that makes you just a little faster on demand.

Plus, I thought about the walls. Somehow I can't imagine they are going back to Wipeout 1 with this aspect of the game. I am wondering, though, if they had a closer look at Quantum Redshift...
For those who haven't played it: In QR you slow down if you hit a wall, but you'll easily continue to slide along it. On a personal note, however, I sure would miss wall scraping as we know it, since that's a huge part of what WO AG racing has been about for me.

OK, dropping out of PSM again. ;)

Ben

Angryman
15th May 2004, 08:29 AM
Hyperthrust wouldn't work very well on the PSP since it only has 2 shoulder buttons.
You have X for accelerate
Square - for Dump weapon
circle - for use weapon
Triange - change view, although you could use an alternate button to change view eg. Select
And that leaves 2 shoulder buttons for air-brakes.
Making Triangle the hyperthrust button would be impractical and uncomfortable so i doubt they'll go for that set up.
Personally, i didn't like hyperthrust from W'o"3. :-?

Shem
15th May 2004, 10:31 AM
one thing that botheres me is if the PSP buttons are analogue just like PS2 pad buttons.
If so...well my gues is, that there is a pick-up turbo boost, but depending on the power put into pushing the circle button (weapon engage), it can be used either as something similar to hyperthrust, or a turbo-boost as we know it (by hitting the circle button at once). I'm just guessing tho. (and now to verify if the PSP buttons are analogue or digital)....

G'Kyl
15th May 2004, 12:00 PM
I don't think what's shown in the video is a pick-up-and then-activate turbo as in XL. It seems to have only minimal effect on your speed. Maybe there was a speed pad, only they didn't have enough time to add those few more polygons to the track. ;)

And no, I neither like hyperthrust nor the idea that it's linked to shield power myself.

Ben

zargz
15th May 2004, 01:03 PM
Personally, i didn't like hyperthrust from W'o"3. :-? I Totally Agree! :evil: I'd rather have a back view button instead of thrust!

infoxicated
15th May 2004, 01:40 PM
I disagree with both of you - the thrust system that drained from the shield energy in Wipeout 3 was perfect for me. It made the game tactical in the use of shield energy - it made getting a good time a result of clever use of thrust, rather than "I lucked out and picked up two speed boosts on one lap".

True, the method cant be used on the PSP due to lack of buttons, but I'm disappointed to be going back to the pick up system. Wipeout 3 was an evolution and allowed for some do or die comebacks due to draining your shield energy.

rejj
15th May 2004, 02:08 PM
I much prefer the W3 style hyperthrust, like infox said it adds strategic complexity to the game in place of random luck. It rewards good pilots - your shield energy is a resource that is never used in 2097 if you are competant and don't hit the walls. In W3 the energy is an expendable resource that the pilot can use in a trade-off against the risk of hitting a wall with hardly any shiled left.

I just watched the Pure vid... and it looks nice. Infact, it looks very nice for a handheld. I think I'll be getting myself a PSP. I like the look of what we have been able to see of Pure so far.. I just hope it gets a bit faster than what is displayed in that vid (feels like Vector or Venom for most of it) :)

G'Kyl
15th May 2004, 04:16 PM
infox: I believe an unexperienced driver will never get lucky when accidentally hitting the XL-turbo just anywhere on the track. ;)

reji: I assume they only showed Venom or Vector so people woud actually be able to get some sightseeing impressions. ;)

On the tactical component of hyperthrust: Yes of course, having shield and turbo energy linked makes the game a lot more tactical. It's just that this takes a lot away from the simple yet effective gameplay that WO1 and 2 have been about. That's my main concern really. Don't get me wrong, though, hyperthrust is ok in my book. I just don't like it AS much as the XL turbo. :)

Ben

Shem
15th May 2004, 04:18 PM
I concur. W3O hyperthrust was a good thing, and the only thing I missed from being unable to use pick-up boost was the feel of a sudden kick, that gave a rush playing XL or the Original.

G'Kyl
15th May 2004, 06:51 PM
[...] the only thing I missed from being unable to use pick-up boost was the feel of a sudden kick, that gave a rush playing XL or the Original.

Yeah, well, and since I am a "sudden speed kick" freak... ;)

Oh, but riding on a "quake wave" while icking up a turbo really IS the ultimate eperience! :)

Ben

jmoid
16th May 2004, 03:22 PM
OK I just watched it, now I'm excited. The handling definitely looks pre-Fusion. I hope there's some way to play PSP on a TV - maybe the USB port on it will hook up to a PS2.

zargz
16th May 2004, 07:30 PM
well dear 'pro booster' fellow wipErs, it all sounds very nice BUT
the hyperthrust does TOTALLY rule out the Thrust (Acceleration) of Any craf!
Like the icaras(in wo3) has thrust 1, speed 5. the feisar thrust 5 speed 1 so ..
after a hard breaking at a tight corner or a crash in the wall icaras can just thrus
& b on it's way thus obliterating The Meaning of Thrust (the Advantage of Feisar)!
and as if it wasnt superior enough the turning was cranked up to 3 in wo3se fr 2 in wo3! :evil:
i would've lowered it to 1 to b as hard 2control as the qirex was in wo1 :D ! Anyway ..
the balance of the grid is a different Q. as 4the thrust - in stead'f leting u use 75% of the shield
15 or even 10% shud've been more widely accepted .. imo 8)
if the thruster feature disappered in woPure i wont b :cry: but :D
:wink:

xEik
16th May 2004, 09:31 PM
Who needs a change view button anyway? It's the most useless button you can put in a racing game.

Putting change view as an option in the pause menu is much better. A real time button is a precious resource and players usually only use one view for a certain game. That button is only used in the "Dang, I forgot to change the default setting" rare occasion.

I'd prefer square for turbo and triangle to drop weapon.

Lance
16th May 2004, 11:10 PM
so true, xEik. i never use 'change view' or 'rear view' in any racing game even though i use 'nosecam' as my standard view

Rapier Racer
17th May 2004, 09:58 AM
You never use rear view Lance?? I like to use it in Fusion too see if I'm about to be bashed by a Tigron, my Van-Uber is delicate, it can't take it!!! :(

That’s the only reason though as I don’t realty like to fire weapons backwards

G'Kyl
17th May 2004, 10:19 AM
Unfortuanetely, I never played Fusion, but I also never look back in the WO games. I find it to be far more effeicient (read: faster) to keep my eyes fixed on what's before me than bothering for a missile or an e-bolt from behind. The best way to evade them is to be faster anyway. At least in Phantom and Rapier classes- in the lower ones it doesn't matter in the first place.

Ben

zargz
18th May 2004, 09:40 PM
so true, xEik. i never use 'change view' or 'rear view' in any racing game even though i use 'nosecam' as my standard view
.i use rear view often! especially when playin with a friend -
2c how much i have 2slow down 2let them catch me 2create the ilusion of a tight race :D :D :D :wink:
about rear view i agree with y'all - should b i the pause or game setting menu.

Lance
18th May 2004, 10:06 PM
you need some faster friends. :)

i don't have anyone to play Wipeout with; but i suppose there might be some reason to use rear view switching or a mirror in 2-player or 4-player mode

infoxicated
18th May 2004, 10:33 PM
Yep, I'd have to agree there - I like having the rear view in racing games, and I rarely use the button that changes the camera in-game.

Besides, of the few good things that Fusion brought to the series, that "look back and fire a reverse quake" was top of the list for me. I actually miss having it when I play WIpeout 3.

G'Kyl
18th May 2004, 11:14 PM
Hm, funny that. I actually have to agree about the rear view in racing games in general. It's really just the WO games where I don't use that feature at all. I don't know, I never felt the need to do so...

zargz
20th May 2004, 08:18 AM
could it b that if u use it then u .. crash? :o :D

I'd prefer square for turbo and triangle to drop weapon. triangle is no good really 4anything coz then u'd have 2release the X - gas :-?
that's prob'ly y it became the view button. in wo1 there wasnt a drop button remember?
it worked ok 4all weapons(u just shoot away the1 u don want) Xept 4the shield - had 2wait til it was gone
then in 2097/xl came the Biggest MIsstake in the wo series .. the auto-Fk**-pilot
*praying hard to the wo-Gods to Never Ever bring it back again*
u wonder y there r stil ppl who didint beat wo1? ask no more :D
in 3 we got more .. shield like weapons - deflector & cloak. imo good 4multiplayer
guess I'm not the only1 who dorps All of these as soon as u get them 8)
anyway 4 the psp(only2shoulder buttons) - O(ring) 2fire and fire Again 2drop shield/autoP :evil:
Sqare 4back view.
No boost - makes racing more even. Look @ 2097/xl tables!
or just alittle bit like 10% of the shield on the Triangle button :P

infoxicated
20th May 2004, 08:23 AM
Actually, if the buttons are pressure sensitive then it could be pretty easy to accomodate Thrust without the need for another button.

It could be set up so that a normal button press just propels you forward, while pressing it really hard would give you the thrust thing from Wipeout 3.

Sadly there's no way it's going to happen, from what I'm told, so now that we've gone back to "turbo as a pick up" for two versions of the game, the genius of the system used in Wipeout 3 is probably lost forever.

*sigh*

How I'll miss that thrust button and the pit lanes. :(

zargz
20th May 2004, 08:30 AM
I'ma go make a happy dance now brb!! :D :D :D 8)

Hybrid Divide
20th May 2004, 12:29 PM
Infox,

They got rid of the Pit Lanes?!

infoxicated
20th May 2004, 12:43 PM
erm... allegedly.

I'll get definitive answers to most of your questions very soon, hopefully.

Right now, I don't want anyones testicles to end up in a blender... so to speak, especially not mine(!), but soooooon we will know more. :)

Shem
20th May 2004, 12:51 PM
You're right Fox, that system ain't never gonna happen. Not even becouse the buttons of PsP are digital only (except the directional buttons), but also that it is hard to use.
Think of all these ppl who have no mercy for the buttons pushing them with all the power. It takes a LOT of practice to put the right amount of force onto a tiny circle button.
Can you imagine how patient you'd have to be flying a TT, avoiding the walls, trying to keep the best racing line PLUS controling the speed with the method I talk about?......a nightmare.....
I prefer the other method - PEDAL TO THE METAL!!! (and no analog buttons, analog sticks are used for that.....).

Animagic
20th May 2004, 01:53 PM
hm...

first I wanted to say that you racers that don't pilot from inside the cockpit are crazy.
That is some of the best fun to be had and the rolling motion you get taking all the turns and dips is one of my favorite elements in this series. I still remember showing my aunt and uncle the first wipeout on a big screen back in 95 and they got motion sickness
:D YEAH!

I don't know how I feel about the pit lane going away... does that mean that we're seeing a return to the original wipeout play mechanics?

where weapons dont kill you they just slow you down?
-Animagic

Rapier Racer
20th May 2004, 02:29 PM
I don't really like the cockpit view; I prefer to be able to see my beautiful Assegai as it effortlessly turns a corner. No pit lanes, I wonder if my crafts stats will remain the same, seen as it sacrificed it's shield capabilities to have superb handling, but if there are no craft shields does this mean that they will downgrade the other aspects of the craft? I hope not.

<-- will understand if no one has a clue what I'm on about

Lance
20th May 2004, 05:32 PM
zargz said: ''No boost - makes racing more even. Look @ 2097/xl tables!''
zargz, the XL records are not that close, but the WO3 NTSC tables are very close. you ought to know; :) look how close to Al you are in some of those races.

i'm just a bit ambivalent about this issue now; the one i'm currently doing the best on is XL, but i've always loved the extra strategy and tactics given to WO3 by shield-energy-based hyperthrust. it makes a game that takes longer to improve your times on, so that may be the factor that determines which is your favourite version/game mechanic. the records tables for WO3 make it obvious that several people have spent that time. there are some fantastic times on there. too bad none of em are mine.

single-race mode is the one that is most affected by the number of buttons you have available for weapons drop and hyperthrust and such. maybe a small number of buttons is just the price you pay to have buttons of reasonable size, and more importantly, spacing, on a portable gameplay console.

negotiating the pit lane is yet another strategic and tactical element that adds to the satisfaction of achieving mastery in Wipeout games. the versions in which this element is unimportant, such as 2097/XL are easier to do well in than WO3. this is again one of those things that take extra time to master, but which extend the challenge and lifespan of the game. i find that i like both the simpler type of play in 2097/XL and the more complex one of WO3. luckily i have both games. a new game that has more detailed and animated graphics and both types of play in one game would be really really desirable to me. possibly the two types could be implemented by simply having two 'leagues', one of which had all features, Formula Max, and another, which simply disallowed hyperthrust and pit usage, Formula Pure.

both those names imply ultimate excellence, so that players who favoured either league would not feel lesser than players who favoured the other league. Formula Pure might have a higher basic speed to compensate for the lack of hyperthrust, so that ultimate laptimes would be similar in both leagues of play. perhaps the Artificial Intelligence in Formula Pure would be more difficult to beat as well just in terms of sheer speed, not in cheaply hanging back to drop mines in front of you when they'd already been lapped once. this would enhance the feeling of pure racing

zargz
23rd May 2004, 05:30 AM
u have a point there, lance .. about the Pure racing i mean :)
I think both 3 (a bit) & fusion (a lot) exaggerated with new weapons (my opinion 'fcource)
a more 'back2basic' aproach regarding the weapons and harder AI (eliminating autopilot
& hyperthrust_a_la_wo3 would make half the job) would b .. great! 8)

living so far appart the Only way (98%) 4us 2compete with eachother is by comparing times
i think lance once said 'SR is like TT with extra chicanes'(wo3). i totally agree. I know many will agree with me
that there's a sertain(big) amoun of luck in what weapon u get in SR that also influence the time/place u'll get.
Not until we get a working online game will there b a more equal, just & completely fair way to race eachother than TT!
I assume on every lap on TT u'll get 1boost just as in wo1 & 2097/xl. So 4me going back to boost as a pick up weapon
is a good thing! besides (may b bad comparison) we dont see any turbo buttons in a nascar, F1 or touring cars of 2day, right? :wink:

G'Kyl
23rd May 2004, 04:10 PM
Even though online competition may one day be possible in Wipeout, TT will never stop being the ultimate way to compare what drivers are really able to achieve. See Ayrton Senna's qualifying record... Single Race, for me, is there to add more excitement to races but also adds random weapons, so you can never see who is doing best in terms of racing skills.

What I agree on is that we need both WOXL-style TT and WO3-style TT. That way all players should be satisfied - the ones who prefer oure racing (me, me, me ;-) ) and the ones who like the extra amount of strategy required to be fast. I like Lance's idea of hyperthrust-compensation by higher basic speed. If I had that, I wouldn't even need an extra turbo at all. This should make TT REAL basic. :)

Coming to think about it, this shouldn't be difficult to implement in the new game, should it. All that was needed is a number of menu points in the options menu...

Ben

infoxicated
23rd May 2004, 06:14 PM
besides (may b bad comparison) we dont see any turbo buttons in a nascar, F1 or touring cars of 2day, right? :wink:
In the Champ Car series they have a boost system, actually - it's called Push to Pass and each driver has ten seconds of boost available per race. They can use it to help nail a pass, or maybe even help them get out of trouble after a mistake. It increases the pressure they can have from turbo boost before the pop-off valve goes off and robs them of power.

Pretty cool idea, I thought. :)

zargz
24th May 2004, 05:13 AM
u gotta b kidding! :o :o :o :D
i looked it on google & it seems 2me it's the old .. cart series or was it irl?? :roll:
btw that's exactly how i reasoned when i reluctantly sugested 10% of the shield for thrust.
it could save u after hitting a wall or 2overtake some1 on a straight, 1chance 2get back in the race!

ppl dont seem 2have a problem with the randomness of rockets, missiles, mines or shield
on the other hand they do have a problem with turbo & autopilot. I humbly offer a solution: :)
1. turbo(for SR) - put a turbo icon in some corner of the screen & give us a turbo/each completed lap
(u get 1st turbo @beginnig of 2nd lap) to b used the lap u get it - if u dont use u turbo(boost) for
lap2 it desaperes entering lap3 where u get a new1for lap3. this 2avoid ppl saving 3(or more)
turbos 4the last lap & making rediculous times like 14sec lap! :P Highlight icon when get turbo.
No turbo on 1st lap coz of the turboStart! a pilot who cant get a turboStart isn't worthy of being called a wipEr! :o :D 8)
2. autopilot - kill it! :evil: (did i mention this b4? 8) ) 'Fishing' 4autopilots (discarding every weapon
just 2get an autoP 2get thru the 90¤ @MT or similar) for 5laps is not my idea of fun & exiting racing .. :-?

Hybrid Divide
24th May 2004, 06:55 AM
Save the pitlanes.

lunar
24th May 2004, 07:21 AM
'Fishing' 4autopilots (discarding every weapon
just 2get an autoP 2get thru the 90¤ @MT or similar) for 5laps is not my idea of fun & exiting racing .. :-?

I agree it can get a bit tedious - and autopilot fishing is even less fun with a negcon - nowhere near enough buttons for the discard - fire - cancel routine :roll: . On 2097 the autopilot is not so fast as in WO3, and tends to drop you in dangerous places, so I don`t touch it - and I don`t think its much of a factor in that game. But on 2097 you can find yourself fishing for turbos - so I agree it would be great to take out that particular randomness like you said, aswell as the APs. The cancel routine`s not so bad on 2097 though, because you`re not so generally short of neg buttons.

I would also get rid of weapons like quake and missile, leaving only ones that require a certain amount of timing/targeting to use effectively.

Lance
24th May 2004, 04:56 PM
i don't think that neGcon buttons will be much of an issue on WipeoutPure ;) , but lack of buttons in general will be if that design is already 'set in stone'. games will tend to have fewer control options than on the consoles

JABBERJAW
24th May 2004, 06:06 PM
What do you mean by negcon buttons on wipeout pure(unless you can use regular controllers through conectivity)?

infoxicated
24th May 2004, 07:28 PM
AFAIK, you cant use external controllers for PSP.

An even playing field for the lot of us then... yay! :)

zargz
25th May 2004, 07:27 AM
I second that! yay! (^_______^)b

On 2097 the autopilot is not so fast as in WO3, and tends to drop you in dangerous places, so I don`t touch it - and I don`t think its much of a factor in that game. with good planing though u can disengage it on a sraight .. :-?

G'Kyl
25th May 2004, 07:46 AM
Yep, I did that quite frequently. When you mess up a race (and don't tell me noone here ever did ;) ) using several autopilots is a legitimate way to get back up front, I think. Of course, this works much better in WO3 than in XL.

lunar
26th May 2004, 02:47 PM
Its always legitimate to use autopilot..... its just a matter of whether it improves the gameplay. On the one hand its succesful use is part of the weapon-based skills of flying in race mode, and if its faster than manual flight you should use it. It was provided by the game designers as a power-up, and in a race it would be illogical for a pilot to not to use whatever tools are available. You don`t see the Renault F1 team feeling guilty about their superior race starting systems, or drivers refusing to use traction control because it takes away from their "pure" skills.

On the other hand its randomness, and its efficacy in WO3, leads to the "hunting", which is a bit stupid really. It can also protect a pilot from ever having to learn certain sections of track properly - which makes you a less skilled pilot in the long run. Gameplay would ultimately be better without it. As we all seem to agree: Back 2 Basics please!

G'Kyl
26th May 2004, 03:20 PM
It can also protect a pilot from ever having to learn certain sections of track properly - which makes you a less skilled pilot in the long run. Gameplay would ultimately be better without it.!

Not necessarily. Casual players who want no more than to get through the game and not become particularily good at it might argue differently. As long as you can always go faster without autopilot, I think it should be left in the game. That way it might help you but not make you faster - as you say - in the long run.

Ben

lunar
26th May 2004, 04:02 PM
yes I am guilty of forgetting about the casual players - but I`m sure Sony won`t, so we`ll probably be at least a bit disapointed with some things that make the game "easier". An Autopilot that was faster for novices, slower for experts, always in every scenario - that could be ideal, but I wouldn`t its think possible to programme it perfectly...... though you never know.

zargz
27th May 2004, 09:04 AM
or make tha autoPilot suck so hard (direct translation fr swed) as it did in fusion! :wink:
is it just me or r there others who think the AP in fusion was almost unusable??
anyway that would b a waste of a pick up .. :-?

could b as in rollCage where only in the lowest class u could reorient u car!
so AP only in vector?
well, I'll have2 disagree with my self here :P coz vector is sooo slooow that
any rpg or fps player could clear it with no problem!! .. i think ..

lunar wrote:
It can also protect a pilot from ever having to learn certain sections of track properly

I wouldnt use the word protect but any of these - prevent, restrain, hinder;

Asayyeah
28th May 2004, 10:04 PM
i found a major difference from Autopilot between 2097/ W3O ( pal + SE), when you engage autopilot in 2097 you start to slow down speed and then run to the normal speed of the ship you choose ( even you cross a blue pad you won't increase your speed : so i agree with all of you it's slow you down compared to not engaging it)... but it's not really the same with W3O : has anyone noticed that : when you hyperthrust before engaging yours ( for example at the beginning of stanza inter ) you keep high speed with your autopilot so even for expert the autopilot in some case it could be useful to realize great time : just make comparison with or without one.

When i was a newbee few years ago, i was loving autopilot a lot cause it was for me the unique moment to relax my poor hurted fingers.... but now i gotta admit i don't love it anymore even in W3O

Lance
28th May 2004, 10:32 PM
oh, yes, cramming on the hyperthrust down the long straight and slamming on the autopilot just as you go into the ManorTop corners

Asayyeah
28th May 2004, 10:49 PM
:P Manor top is a very good example Lance ( btw i ve reported my Wipeout session with Sleh last night due to lots of working but tonight : here we go!! :wink: i ll post a special one for you in 2097/ Xl when i will finish checking all the posts i have missed since 3 days...new time in SR in perspective( Venom + rapier...) :wink: )

Dimension
29th May 2004, 01:04 PM
damn, the windows media videos page won't load for me, sounds cool from what i'm reading there though :D

Asayyeah
29th May 2004, 01:52 PM
Try this link , and click on the Media player file
It's here (http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/vids_1.html?fromint=1)

zargz
31st May 2004, 09:36 AM
Save the pitlanes. i'm with u on that one. if it's a technical problem (programming?) that prevents the use of pitlanes - ok.
but if not or it can b overcome here r my 0.02$. y not get the best part of all the wo games?
when introduced in 2097/xl pitalane was a great innovation. improved on wo3, imo,
by 'more time spend - more shield recovered'. 64 had great acessability(right word? ez2get in&out).
not many liked the slowdown in fusion (when in pitlane) i think it was good idea if modifyed a bit.

make them(pitlanes) as acessable as in 64, no slowdown & as short as in phenitia park on SE(or shorter!)
that way u cant fill the whole shield & then the pilot him(her)self have2 decide if he/she wants2 break &get more shield!
how 'bout that? :wink:

G'Kyl
31st May 2004, 04:23 PM
I too dislike like idea of being slowed down too much in the pits, but I think longer pitlanes make for a more fluent racing experience since you won't have to brake manually if you pit in with hardly any shield energ left. Personally, I never thought the the pit lane subject to be that important, though. :)

Ben

yuusen
31st May 2004, 07:28 PM

has anyone pondered on the likelihood of visual ship damage, either here or elsewhere?
-
i believe the inclusion of visual damage in fusion was a product of both the available processing power in the ps2 alongside having to match the level of visual detail in the rest of the game. i have a feeling that this theory has already been aired on w3zf.

i personally disliked the visual damage in fusion, especially the way parts of the craft were remodelled in the pitlane (again, this has been said before). even though it was done in a convincing manner is broke a certain level of physical continuity and therefore believeability in the game. i think you all know what i mean.
-
in terms of wipeout pure; i hope that visual damage will be included but not in a structural sense. simply adding scorch/burn/char marks to the ships and/or scraped off paint work will suffice. without a pitlane, there will be no chance for remodelling the ships unless it is done mid race akin to a motorsport rally; however, it would be nothing more than eye candy and would not offer any practical nor gameplay value to the game.

superficial or surface damage to ships within the race environment would add a strong element of placement, enforcing the players belief in the physics model of the game and increasing the level of intensity (possibly counteracting the anticipated drop in intensity - due to the smaller screen). plus, with the game reportedly having less weapons than it last outing, the occasional burn mark on the side of the ship would really stand out as a reminder and spur the player to do better at their game.

¥

zargz
31st May 2004, 08:09 PM
I too dislike like idea of being slowed down too much in the pits.... Personally, I never thought the the pit lane subject to be that important, though. :):D well if there's not gon b pits i guess we'll get back the energy pack pick upp
that wasnt bad but a bit 'wierd' coz u got it only when your energi was critical!
wierd in the sence that it was suposed 2 b a Random weapon :P
perferctly ok though! :D

if talking about strategy in the game i think the way i suggested is good -
comparable to F1 pit tactics .. 8)
in terms of wipeout pure; i hope that visual damage will be included but not in a structural sense. simply adding scorch/burn/char marks to the ships and/or scraped off paint work will suffice. i Agree! 8)

Lance
31st May 2004, 10:31 PM
both visual damage and performance damage, if included,should be optional. my own preference is for no damage

Rapier Racer
1st June 2004, 02:05 AM
well if there's not gon b pits i guess we'll get back the energy pack pick upp
that wasnt bad but a bit 'wierd' coz u got it only when your energi was critical!

But those pickups were found on 2097, and that game had pit lanes.

yuusen
2nd June 2004, 07:09 PM

well if there's not gon b pits i guess we'll get back the energy pack pick up
-
a very original concept, zargz, i had never thought of reintroducing the energy pick up into any wipeout game. if i understand you correnctly, you intend the pick up to be a replacement energy source for the pits, ja? there is only one criticism, picking up energy could dominate over picking up weapons, as other ships will be firing at you and there will be time when you need a lot of energy pickups. unless, of course, they come in different flavours...

¥

science
4th June 2004, 06:47 AM
...daddy like.

piranha wiper
4th June 2004, 08:01 AM
that video was cool but the music sounded like rock and that spoils the whole wipeout theme and looked very floaty, bad, and look like wip3out the way the weapon pick ups and the speed boost pads and the ships, i personaly think that these ships were probably the best thought out and designed ships in the whole series.

science
5th June 2004, 09:01 PM
The game looks excellent. I can't believe I'm going to have to buy yet another system for a single game- but I'm gonna. I'm already hoping that it gets ported to the PS2 (or perhaps PS3??) so it can be played with a proper controller and on a big screen!

zargz
10th June 2004, 09:50 AM
– there is only one criticism, picking up energy could dominate over picking up weapons, as other ships will be firing at you and there will be time when you need a lot of energy pickups...– ¥ the enegry pick up was avalible(in 2097/xl) only if u had very low shield and even then
was randomised with the other weapons - sometimes u didnt get it in time so ..
( that was a good time 2go thru the pit! :o :D )
.. i dont think it's gon b anything like turbo fishing if used like in 2097 8)

G'Kyl
10th June 2004, 10:29 AM
Yep, I agree. Being able to pick up the E-Pack only when being low on shield energy was certainly among the best design decisions made for that game. It fitted perfectly into the gameplay, and I think to go fishing for the pickup when low on shields is good enough to make gamyplay very reasonable. Hence, I'd like seeing them do it like this again. :)

Ben