PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Wipeout PSP is a remake...

Wiseman
12th May 2004, 11:07 AM
Do you reconize either of those tracks they show? I sure don't.

Take for granted, Wipeout only gets all of 2 seconds of footage in the montage reel for 2 tracks, but I've played alot of Wipeout.

Even though it's probably kinda silly giving my comments based off of 2 seconds of footage, but it's a new Wipeout, and I HAVE to.

1)Man, those tracks are wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. Wider than even the Wipeout Fusion average.

2)Looks like they're going with more of a Wipeout 3 look this time. However, I have to say, I was quite impressed with the style (of what little I saw). I guess partially because the first track with the building on one side of the curve and the cool looking "arched flag type things" on the other side is extremely near to a track design I had in my mind (seriously, it is). So seeing it was kind of like one of my many "dream tracks" becoming reality.

I couldn't see much of the second track, given the fact that a giant explosion was going on pretty much during it's whole duriation, but it looked industrial, something like Hi Fumii meets LS104.

I think the main reason why Sony chose not to show much of it is because there are a low amount of textures at this stage, and that seems to be most "news wrtier's" complaints.

I, however, (even though I know it won't stay like this) actually like the low texture look. It reminds me of the prototype tracks from Wipeout 3, and oh how I loved them so.

Anyway, if any of the dev team does read this, I would have this to say: "So far, so good. ;) Now I'd like to see more than 2 lousy seconds of it! :x"

Makai
12th May 2004, 11:26 AM
I think the same too.

The tracks are new designed but the general look is a few like the old wipe'out''.
In 2,3 seconds its imposible to see more details, and the quality of compresion don't helps. The ships seem to be more near to the old wipe'out'', in second track they are playing with Feisar, no :-?

Nobody know something about the work-team? An interview? Anything please!? :cry:

---
pd: i know, my english is poor xD

G'Kyl
12th May 2004, 12:49 PM
Nobody know something about the work-team? An interview? Anything please!?

I just did a some research on the new Wipeout. To this day, there seems to be no real info in the net. Not that it surprised me. ;) Anyway, what I did find was that:

http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?game_id=3441.

Anyone else thinks this is premature? ;) I couldn't even find another source confirming Studio Liverpool as the developer of the PSP installment. Even though I do assume they have their hands on the new title.

Ben

Angryman
12th May 2004, 01:03 PM
doesn't infox work for Sony?
isn't this supposed to be the official wipeout site??
spill the beans damnitt!!
What i have heard, and i'm quite sure it's 99% accurate is that cold storage will be involved in the new wipeout. 8)

xEik
12th May 2004, 02:03 PM
isn't this supposed to be the official wipeout site??
Since when? :o Last time I looked, this was an unofficial wipeout fansite. :P

spill the beans damnitt!!
Being Angryman doesn't give you the right to sound that angry, does it. ;)

infoxicated
12th May 2004, 02:08 PM
doesn't infox work for Sony?Yes.

isn't this supposed to be the official wipeout site??No. This is a fan site, not an official site. It says it up there at the top right of this page, and it's true.

spill the beans damnitt!!Not until I'm allowed to. By that time you'll probably have read all about it on one of the mainstream gaming sites anyway. I'm as sorry about it as can be, but that's the way things work in the world of marketing.

What i have heard, and i'm quite sure it's 99% accurate is that cold storage will be involved in the new wipeout. 8)And then there's the 1% chance that he wont be.

Makai
12th May 2004, 03:16 PM
Hey G'kyl in Gamefaqs they put the SCEAmerica in the info of the game.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/psp/data/920780.html

I don't know the diferences about one or other studio (scea, scee) but they attribuate to SCEE the WipeoutFusion and to SCEA the new WipeoutPSP.

I was searching fore more info but I found nothing :(
Time to wait :cry:

G'Kyl
12th May 2004, 04:10 PM
Hm, maybe it's just a typo. Maybe one of the authors just misunderstood SC...something for what they now think it is. ;) Nope, no more info. Yep, we'll stick to WO1-4 and wait, more or less patiently. :)

Ben

Task
12th May 2004, 05:06 PM
I think it shows 3 tracks. The second two being, as you say, covered in explosions and not of much mention. The first one however... It's a wide curve left, with awnings. Looks a lot like MegaMall, near the beginning.

Time to start saving for a PSP. I've bought all the versions of Wipeout so far, often with a console to play it, no reason to stop now. 8 )

Rapier Racer
12th May 2004, 08:38 PM
Can the footage of the new game be found on the web at all?

lunar
13th May 2004, 12:34 AM
there is some video here:

http://www.e3insider.com/articles/floored/41R80T4JYO.htm

but you`ve really got to concentrate to see it. do not blink. :o

I don`t really want to buy a PSP, so if it is a genuine new game I`m hoping they`ll cash in with a PS2 version.

FoxZero
13th May 2004, 02:09 AM
in infox's video, the shape of the turn and objects on the walls, colors of the track, color of the competitors ship (pirhana?) and the buildings in the background are all very similar to mega mall.. god i hope it is a prettier wo3se

theres actually a second game that looks very similar to wipeout after they say 'tony hawk's pro skater title' but it is rather low poly/texture.

FoxZero
13th May 2004, 02:26 AM
http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/vidfoot.jpg
this is the first segment. this is literally all you will see.

http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/vidfoot1.jpg
i dont know what game this is.. anybody??

AmishRobot
13th May 2004, 04:38 AM
Looks nice... a bit rough, but it's early. It does look a lot like WO3, design-wise. I notice the ship designs shown are back in that old familiar style. To be honest though, the thing I'm most concerned about is the physics. As long as they get back the floaty feel (and hopefully a more traditional track style with no "off-roading"), I'll be content.

I have to say though, that I have no intentions right now of dropping money on a PSP, and one game - even if it is wipeout - isn't going to convince me. I hope a console version is in the works, as well. If a really good version of wipeout came out, I'd have a reason to hunt down Rez again and pick up another PS2.

...God, I miss Rez. Why did I sell that game?!?

G'Kyl
13th May 2004, 05:34 AM
I agree, this new WO seems to resemble WO3 in some ways. Maybe that's due to the fact that the PSP will be close to a PSone - at least as far as I understand.
By the way, I think I like the "Mega Mall" screenshots a lot. Everything in them looks sleek and cool - very nice design.
I only hope that the (probable) involvement of the in-house musician - instead of licensing music - doesn't mean Sony tries to make it as ...well, cheap... as possible. Erm, then again this s far too much speculating for an early project such as this, sorry. :)

Ben

Shem
13th May 2004, 08:35 AM
the first 3 show sth like Mega Mall indeed......but the ships (well at least Feisar [if it IS Feisar...]) seem to look pretty like W3O rather than the Original.
Hey, is that Pirhana passing by on the first 3 screenshots? And what the hell is that thing right beside Feisar (screenshot no 4)? Oh no..... this thing looks like Xios!!! (with all the respect to Xios fans out there..).
The last 2 screenshots - look like Stanza Inter in WF style.
Well, anyways, It's a new wipeout alright....
(hey look at the reflections on the windows on the Mega Mall-like circuit! this shows some power of PSP, though the game is in early development stage [i guess....no...I HOPE!!])

infoxicated
13th May 2004, 08:41 AM
in infox's video...
Those new avatars are coming back to haunt me already. Mine is the one with the ship in it, man! :lol:

AmishRobot
13th May 2004, 12:00 PM
Those new avatars are coming back to haunt me already. Mine is the one with the ship in it, man! :lol:
Hah! It took me a couple minutes at first to realize that big avatar=moderator. :D

FoxZero
13th May 2004, 01:27 PM
here is more of the ship that is behind what appears to be a wo3-era feisar
http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/vidfoot3.jpg
http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/vidfoot4.jpg
http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/vidfoot2.jpg

again.. not much to see but very low poly untextured models and tracks.. and my stupid winamp playlist obstructing the second shot. rather intricate buildings however, im guessing this could be approaching the 4th and 3rd to last bend in stanza inter because of it?

something to note.. the weapon the feisar used in the very bright explosion appeared to be a charge weapon, ie plasma bolt.

the thing that turns me off about the psp the most is this universal media disc.. what the hell?! so i cant play my existing ps1/2 titles?!?

wha.. huh? infox?? but i couldve sworn you were there!!

lunar
13th May 2004, 01:35 PM
size is important, after all. As my Hotmail inbox keeps telling me. :evil:

Thanks for doing the screen grabs FoxZero. Those are some mighty explosions, especially considering it seems to be in the city centre with vey little protection for the public.

The way the ships seem to be riding quite high encourages me.

The way the walls seem so low, Fusion style, scares me.

But that`s pointless speculation of course.

Having said I wouldn`t buy a PSP, if there was no PS2 version, and if the game turned out to be the real Wipeout 4, I might have to become a marketing man`s mug and buy one, especially if PSP can be output to a big screen and if its neg-compatible. Its nice and small, so I could hide it and the wife would never know I spent god knows how much cash for just one game. :roll:

FoxZero
13th May 2004, 01:58 PM
one more thing, in the top of the second segment, you will notice something interesting

http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/particles.jpg

its shrapnel from whatever is exploding. i dont remember this happening in 3 or XL.. engine overhaul?

Angryman
13th May 2004, 02:51 PM
The walls are on par (in height) with W'o" 2097, i do recal wipeout fusion's walls being more vertical.
They have listened, they will not F*** this one up, so i doubt they'll go for fusion styled physics.
It is important that wipeout stands out on the psp as wipeout did on the original psx back in 95.
So far, from what i have seen, they are succeeding.. all it needs is good sound fx ala Wo2097 and good music which draws you in (W'o" 1). :D

I wil buy the psp simply for this game, they better not let me down like they did with fusion. :x :wink:

lunar
13th May 2004, 03:11 PM
I was hoping for high walls in order to avoid shortcutting and fusion respawn problems. But I guess they`ve had time to figure out another way round those problems. I hope the game doesn`t let you or anyone down....... things could get nasty. :wink:

jmoid
13th May 2004, 03:15 PM
There's a little article on Gamespot now, but it's just a report on the footage you guys already saw http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeout/preview_6097315.html

AmishRobot
13th May 2004, 07:22 PM
Just noticed over at Gamespot that the name they now have for the game is, "Wipeout Pure". Nice name... I like it.

Lance
13th May 2004, 07:38 PM
i could swear that i saw that name here on the WZ many months ago. one of our members coined the phrase

Animagic
13th May 2004, 08:03 PM
I am so buying a PSP, especially if this game is available at launch.
I saw the pics of the system today.
It looks a lot better than their prototype and it looks like what I imagined a portable psx/ps2 hybrid would look like.

now I have to wait a year to play it :D

Dogg Thang
13th May 2004, 09:16 PM
Oh my lord, it looks beautiful!!! Wow, definitely looks sweet. And, yeah, the beginning parts of the video looked very WO3ish but there were a few parts towards the end (where the ship is doing a few drops) where it seemed suspiciously Fusion-like but I think that the name, Wipeout Pure, is to tell people like us that we'll be seeing a return to the racing roots of Wipeout.

I certainly hope so!

Now, when can I buy this? Now? Now?

Is it ready now? Bah! This waiting is killing me!

Dogg.

G'Kyl
13th May 2004, 09:31 PM
I don't know. Are you sure that's really the name? Sounds to me like they simply made that up from what struck them most about the video.

Wiseman
14th May 2004, 04:36 AM
i could swear that i saw that name here on the WZ many months ago. one of our members coined the phraseActually, it was one of the names the dev team for Fusion was thinking of using. That, along with Wipeout Infinity, which would have used the symbol for infinity.

The post is somewhere on the old ezboard...

Lance
14th May 2004, 05:28 AM
i think i've seen it on this board, though. [''unless i'm very much mistaken" ;) ]

i'm certainly all for the concept of a pure WipEout.
the Wipeout Inifinity name sounds fake and ridiculous

Wiseman
14th May 2004, 05:37 AM
Found it:

http://pub205.ezboard.com/fwip3outpilotsassociationbbsrumoursandrants.showMe ssage?topicID=160.topic

(those of you with archaic browsers might want to watch for pop-ups)

Lance
14th May 2004, 05:52 AM
The Proxomitron works great for those old browsers. and is highly useful even for new ones

AmishRobot
14th May 2004, 06:24 AM
Yeah, Wipeout Infinity sounds hokey, but at least it's not Wipeout PLUR! ;) I'm rather fond of Wipeout Pure, but here are some other suggestions that I think might work:
"Wipeout Mini"
"Wipeout King Cab"
"Wipeout: San Andreas"
"Wipeout & the Lamentations of Gravity"
"Wipeout Low Carb"
"Halo 2"

Lance
14th May 2004, 06:38 AM
the 'Amish' names: lol

--------------------

one worries that if the 'Pure' name is chosen, smarta$$ critics might call it WipEout Poor.

G'Kyl
14th May 2004, 06:46 AM
But then we should also have worried about "Wipeout XS" a long time ago... ;)
Seriously, I don't think that is going to happen. Sony knows howabout the importantance of their Wipeout franchise, so I imagine they'll put enough effort (=money) int the game, so critics won't have a lot to complain about. Most of them even seemed to like Fusion much better than most members here.

Ben

Wiseman
14th May 2004, 08:29 AM
I screen-grabbed a pic of the mock up box they were using at E3 for Wipeout Pure, in case anyone wants to see it.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8751910

Interesting that they chose the original Wipeout logo for the box. It's just a mock up for E3 though, I seriously, seriously doubt this is the final box.

Zero [RG] [HG]
26th March 2005, 05:02 AM
The pictures that you posted (not the ones in the links) are pictures with yellow backgrounds with the words "Click here now!" even though I can't click it because there's no link... o_o

G'Kyl
26th March 2005, 05:50 AM
A year back when we were still speculating about the name and the looks of the upcoming Wipeout, he had posted the right images. Maybe they were taken offline when nobody needed them anymore.

Ben